4522 {The Number Series}

By imaginationNationX

A Wattpad Featured Story Highest ranking: #1 in Adventure The Number Series (A Dystopian Society) 4522. Bo... More

.Copyright.
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
"Survey For The Author"
18
19
20
21
22
*Author Note*
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
Who To Trust
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
Alternate Ending
Archer-Short Story
Message From Nations
Song List
Character Analysis
BOOK LIST

10

21.2K 1.2K 257
By imaginationNationX

        I wanted to look around at everything but instead we ended up heading down into one of the tunnels Macallister had talked about his people traveling through. We were at the end of the line that had formed by all of us who had just arrived. We moved steadily along. The tunnels were large, smooth, and chilly. It was lit up by a few lamps hanging above our heads. Random tunnels opened up off the walls.

        "This is the main tunnel," Macallister explained as he ran a hand though his dark hair. "It leads to the center. That's where you will be staying for a little. It's where our government is located."

        "Why do we have to stay there?" I asked.

        "Because they want to make sure you're willing to stand up to the city," he said. "And we have to find a place that you will do well working in before we can just let you wander freely. Everyone does something, no matter how small a job, because out here you need to help each other. We're not just given things like in the city."

        Archer grabbed my hand again and I held on to his tightly. We reached an exit filled with light. The sound of people talking, laughing, and cheering grew louder with every step. I was shocked when the tunnel opened up to reveal a large house that had been painted a pretty white. It looked extremely old fashioned. I had only seen a few houses like it on my computer pad from a history lesson on architecture.

        "This is the only house that is made out of wood." Macallister informed us. "It isn't safe to live in if the others decide to find us so we only use it for special occasions and events. We make our homes of concrete."

        We walked up towards the large wrap around porch of the house. On either side of us stood people watching us. The all looked so different. They all had their own way that they styled their hair, All of their clothes were mismatched with different colors, styles, and designs. The material looked a lot like the itchy blanket Archer and I had used to keep ourselves warm while others had thinner material on. Some continued to talk as we went by while others started to quiet themselves down and face towards the large house.

    "They look so strange," Archer whispered to me.

"They look like they do what they want," I smiled.

"Of course you would like that," Archer said as we came to a stop on the porch with everyone else. The large door with the stained glass opened suddenly and we were nearly rushed inside. The door shut behind us as we stood in an entry hall. In front of us stood a woman and a man who were on the slightly older side. Next to them stood a man who looked to be in his middle to late twenties with a sharp face.

        "Greetings, new comers," said the older woman. "Welcome to your new life outside the city. I am Marie, my husband is Jackson, and this is our son Aaron."

        No one said a word. I met the eyes of the son, Aaron. He had a sharp face, much like Macallister, but with lighter hair. He had a long scar on one of his arms that he had crossed over his chest in an unwelcome way.

        "I understand that this is all very different from what you are used to but I am sure you will find that this is what is best. Everyone has certain things that they should always be allowed to have and those things are something the city has 'forgotten' about."

        "You need individuality in order to prosper and to feel complete. You need to be able to pick your future. You need freedom." She looked over us all. "None of you really know about these things; but, you will soon. As of right now you will all be sleeping in a designated area until you become official citizens."

        A man in black stepped forward and faced the crowed. "Boys will come with me to your house and girls will follow Macallister to theirs."

        He gestured for the boys to follow him and off he went. Archer squeezed my hand before letting go and walking away. I watched him.

        "You'll see him again," Macallister said to me. "I promise. You just have to get settled in first. He'll be fine."

        I blushed. I was more obvious about how I felt towards him than I had wanted to be. Archer sleeping somewhere other than behind a curtain next to me was not what I wanted. Who would I talk to in the middle of the night while everyone else slept?

        "Why are they splitting us up?" 

        "It makes it easier for them to watch you."

        "And why would they need to do that? They do not want to be like the city."

        "Because you might be someone who is loyal to the city and will get us all in trouble. Or, even worse, a spy for them." He scratch the back of his neck. "And there is another reason."

        "Another reason?"

        "People here have a different view point on things, like having children." He cleared his throat awkwardly. "They believe in women actually carrying the child."

        In the city your genetics, and a partner's they pick for you, are merged in a lab and tested. If it is one of the top one hundred than the mix is not terminated and it grows in a lab into a child. You never know who your parents are. You do not know anything.

        "There are women here who are carrying their own children?" I asked as we walked. Macallister and I were the front of the line. "What if there is something wrong with the child?"

        "Then it is born that way and it will live that way," he explained. "Most of the people here have a thing called religion."

        I remembered looking over a book that had that word in it. The book had also said that there were multiple religions.

        "Pretty much they believe that a higher power creates us and the higher power builds you the way it wants to. If it wanted you to be perfect than you would be. Also, they do not limit how many are born here. but if people start having children too young then we might over populate this area."

        "Really?" I was confused.

        "That's why boys and girls are not allowed to be housed in the same area."

        "They do not want us having our own children?"

        "Not yet," he said.

        *

        *

        The houses we were staying in was much like the other ones I had seen. They  were built in  grey dome like structures made of concrete. Little circled windows lined the  walls. There was a single door at the front. Instead of being one big dome, there were several of them lined up in a row.

        "Two girls in each home," Macallister said. He paired them together. There were eleven of us. At the end of the line I was the only one left. "Looks like you get your own."

        I looked at the other girls houses. "You did that on purpose."

        "You're right," he winked and then left me on my own. I walked into my new home alone.

        It was one giant circle that was very different from the square with a curtain I had come from. Two beds sat near each other with a table and a lamp between them. I felt the fabric of the blankets. They too were the ruff material Archer and I had used on the truck to keep warm. The walls were the same grey as the outside. A little table for two sat on the other side of the room next to a small sink, cook top, and a small fridge.

        I was surprised that these people had managed to get themselves electricity away from the city.

        There were two doors in my new home besides my front door. One was a shallow entrance that had several clothing items hung on a bar. The other consisted of my own bathroom and shower.

        I had never showered in a separate space from other girls. I turned it on out of curiosity. The water came out lukewarm but the spray wasn't very powerful. I left the small space to sit at the little table for two and let myself get lost in thought.

        Women had their own children, people probably got married, their clothes were all different, and no one was terminated for not being perfect.

        It seemed like everything would be wonderful in this new place outside the city. You could be exactly who you wanted.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

282 116 111
This is the second part of book 2 in The Last Science series. For book 1, please see here: https://www.wattpad.com/story/145718843-the-last-science N...
CODES By Vee Lozada

Science Fiction

6.6K 922 48
[Book 2 in the CODES series] || Roger, a cybernetic human with a second chance at life, must face the truths of every lie he's told or risk the possi...
660K 27.4K 45
(NOT EDITED AT ALL) (LOTS OF GRAMMAR ERRORS) (I was young when I wrote this lol) "You're special, fire boy," the man grins, "you and the others are...
25.2K 3K 53
Dys • ar • thri • a difficult or unclear articulation speech that is otherwise linguistically normal - Doubt it? How do you know this blossoming frie...