The Blood Lands

By ConnorKleine

The price of war is steep, and is always paid for in blood. A new war between two powerful kingdoms and the... More

Notes
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 3

Chapter 2

34 13 23
By ConnorKleine

Lancel was not going to die today.

The Argon was charging at him - approaching way faster than a normal man should. He was an Argon after all, blessed by the god of war to be beacons of physical prowess and perfection. Lancel had envied them, but now he feared one.

But I will not die, not here, and not today. This is the one chance I was looking for. Lancel felt the anxiety deep in his chest. Look at the bright side, at least people will talk about how I took down an Argon covered with Thracite.

The Argon was thirty paces away, sprinting with its great axe raised. Lancel bent his knees slightly, getting ready to pounce in the opposite direction of the attack. The Argon jumped.

His empowered legs pushed him up and he soared twenty feet into the air and went down in an arc... towards Lancel.

Shit!

Lancel had to throw himself out of the way as the Argon landed and slammed his great axe down to the ground. The impact cracked the earth beneath its armored boots, a cloud of dust and soil blew up in the air. He pulled his great axe from the ground, and turned to see Lancel - lying down on his side.

Lancel got up, struggling to regain his footing. The Argon ran at enhanced speeds and swung its great axe in a wide arc. Lancel duck beneath it and struck the Argon just beneath his ribs. Stain glided through the Thracite armor. Lancel had never seen Thracite cut Thracite, but he had no time.

He immediately jumped forward, rolling his body and coming up to his knees. The Argon turned to Lancel, moving comfortably and effortlessly in such lightweight armor. The cut Lancel had made closed in a matter of seconds, smoke reforging the metal that was damaged. Now, that's useful, Lancel thought. He never had to strike anything twice with Stain, and years of training can never prepare you to face the real thing in battle.

"Lancel Sadelyn, son of Regis Sadelyn, second in line to the Scalgue lordship," the Argon spoke with a deep and booming voice. Why did they always have to sound so intimidating?

"Ah yes, you've heard of me. I guess my reputation goes far and wide. Though, I hope you didn't learn all that from any of my past lovers." Lancel got back up to his feet. "They aren't honest, especially when it comes to my physical features."

"I have met none of these... lovers that you speak of. You are-"

"Well, that's a relief," Lancel interrupted. "Oh, I'm sorry - please continue." He saw the Argon was still radiating his aura from his armor and from within. It was barely visible, but Lancel saw the wisps of gray coming from the Argon's eye slits. He is still consuming Kanna, and he has to use up more for both his strength and armor.

This man covered in armor, with metal imbued with the powers of a god, looked annoyed if that was ever possible. "I said, you are quite infamous in Fardea for beating back every attack. They said you slaughter without care and hesitation, that you are personally Blessed by Thracius to wield his metals like no other."

Lancel would probably blush, but he was sweating and hot all over. He did appreciate the compliments, neglecting the Argon's point and context of what he was talking about.

"I appreciate your kind words. I also understand if you fear me, and so I will accept your surrender." Lancel stood up straight and proud. He did not need to pretend when it came to arrogance and strength, he had all the self-confidence for that. If this man was scared, maybe Lancel didn't need to fight. I can win this by sheer reputation. Lancel stopped using his Kanna, he was going to need every advantage he can afford.

"I will spare your life, but you must strip down your armor and leave it behind as payment." Was Lancel pushing it?

The Argon belted out a deep laugh. "Surrender? You mistake my words for compliments."

Ah, I knew things were too good to be true.

"I was sent to defeat you. I will break you and destroy any ounce of dignity and fame you have. I will separate your head from your shoulders and parade it all ov-"

Lancel didn't wait, he just leapt forward and attacked.

Lancel wanted to be glorious and be known throughout Hastriel. Heralds and bards must sing songs of praise, sharing with drunkards and children of how great Lancel Sadelyn, the Longsteel, was and how he took down armies and Blessed on his own. He didn't need to fight fair, he just needed to win and tell everyone he fought fair.

Being the first to attack caught people off their guard, and the Argon was still a person. He had his great axe at his side when Lancel came up and slashed down in a long, diagonal strike. A clean gash appeared on the Argon's armor, but it started to close as soon as the metals were damaged.

The Argon was stunned, and tried to lift its great axe - Lancel spun and hit the Argon twice in his side. Lancel was behind the Argon, but he didn't attack. The Argon turned around, swinging its weapon but Lancel was already moving.

He stayed on the Argon's left side, striking whenever there were openings. Lancel continued to move within the Argon's attacking range. His great axe had a long reach, but every weapon had a weakness. I have to stay within his circle, it's where I'm hardest to hit.

The Argon kept trying to swing its weapon at Lancel. He attempted to maneuver himself away from Lancel, to place some space between them so he may attack. Lancel was efficient with his movements and he stuck close to the Argon.

Larger tendrils of gray smoke were emitted from the Argon and his armor, as Lancel kept on destroying his plate. If he didn't have Thracite metal covering his entire body, this man would have been dead long ago. His increased strength and speed didn't make him as challenging a foe as Lancel expected. 

Argons, they're quite the disappointme-

Lancel felt a force bash against his shoulder and it sent him flying backwards and onto his back. The Argon had a raised fist and used his forearm to knock Lancel back and create some distance between them. The point of impact on Lancel's shoulder was numb, but he felt a surging pain all the way down his arm and up his neck. Okay, I take back what I said Argonos, your Argons are no joke.

It was too late to apologize to any gods he may have offended, as the Argon ran up to Lancel to follow up his unarmed strike with a bladed one. Lancel ignored the pain, and moved out of the way just as soon as the great axe came down on the patch of earth beside him. He felt the force of the blow crack the soil and shovel out pieces of dirt. He avoided death at the last second.

Lancel saw the great axe, long and intimidating after it nearly cut him in half. The great axe... Sometimes, I'm not sure if I'm blind or stupid.

Lancel didn't even get up. He lazily waved Stain and it cut clean through the shaft of the Argon's great axe. The Argon was holding three feet of his great axe's shaft. He was confused, or surprised - Lancel wasn't sure and he didn't care. The random disarming created an opening.

Lancel scrambled to his knees and slashed at the armored leg. He rolled to his opponents rear, and slashed rapidly at his back. It didn't matter if his form was ugly, he just needed to destroy his opponents armor. Damn it, how much Kanna do you have?!

Lancel stopped his flurry of blows as he dodged a backhand attack from the Argon. Lancel sliced at his underarm as he repositioned himself. He was going to strike again, but the Argon spun quickly and jabbed with the remaining shaft of his great axe.

Lancel did not expect the counterattack, and he only had enough time to swat at the Argon's armored arm to redirect the attack.

A sharp pain spread from his upper right chest. Before he had time to register what happened, he was sent flying ten feet back by a kick to his chest. He fell on his back. Lancel groaned. He couldn't move, he felt a wave of pain and disorientation.

The kick was stronger than ten horses! Ribs, definitely broken. He tried to touch at his chest, and his hand met a metal rod wet with blood. It stuck out of him, reaching maybe a few inches inside his muscled chest. I guess anything is a weapon if you can stab hard enough.

"Hahaha..." Here he was, lying on the grass, dying from a stab wound made by the lower half of a broken weapon. He lay on his left side, and he saw the Argon walk slowly towards him - still flaring smoke. He probably has enough Kanna to keep him going for days. They really did splurge on this one. Lancel felt flattered. He warranted enough attention to send in an Argon who was also Thracen with a lot of Kanna. It could've been a good story, if only I won.

He had lived poorly. The youngest child who had no title to inherit and was charged instead to wield a weapon and become a weapon - and even as a warrior Lancel was unspectacular. He had high hopes, dreams - even if they were for himself considering he was the only one worthy of them. Now, they all went down to the abyss. Just mere wishes.

He felt the sharp edges of the grass on his cheek. It itched. Funny how when one knows he was going to meet his end, it becomes rather surreal. This is how all those men felt, those that die for this war. Lancel felt... insignificant. He was going to die a death like any other. No music, no dramatic last words, no one to tell a rather gallant story of him. Just him, defeated and dying.

"You fight dishonorably, young lord," The Argon spoke. "But you are with skill. I will honor your death with a name, every dead man deserves to know his executioner, no matter how they fight." The Argon was slowly marching towards Lancel. He sure is taking his time. Might be nice to be the one giving the awesome speeches.

"I am Kabral, fighting for King Saloman Shalen, High Lord of Segnovia and Unifier of Western Hastriel. You, Lancel Longsteel of House Sadelyn, are hereby sentenced to death by my hand. You hav-"

"AAAAH FOR SCALGUE!" There was a loud scream followed by the Argon bending down to his knees. He was knocked over by the full weight of... Ren. He threw himself at Kabral and had clung to his back, and with a dagger, stabbed at the Thracite armor. It didn't even cut or dent the plate.

Ren, you fool! Lancel tried to move, to save his best soldier but he couldn't budge a single muscle. He was exhausted - breathing alone took too much effort from him.

Kabral reached behind him, grabbed hold of Ren's leather vest and pulled him down to the ground. "Are all the fighters from Scalgue tricksters and cowards?" Kabral placed an armored knee on top of Ren's chest. He coughed and was struggling beneath the Argon's weight. "You do not deserve a name. You deserve to exist no longer!" More smoke was seeping out of the Kabral's armor. "YOU ARE AN EMBARRASSMENT TO EVERY MAN WHO WIELDS A WEAPO-"

Ren spat a thick glob of blood at the Argon's helm. Kabral paused for a moment. "AAAARGH!" He yelled as he pummeled Ren's face into the ground, throwing fist after fist. The land beneath the impact cracked and pieces of stone flew into the air - as well as blood and bone and brain. Ren's limbs went limp.

NOOOOO! Lancel tried to scream, but his voice came out hoarse and cracked. He had tears in his eyes... he had never cried for another person before. Fool, Vena was waiting for you. You had to live for your daughter... I'm sorry. Lancel was a failure, not just to himself - but to his family, to his kingdom, and to Vena.

Lancel closed his eyes. His tears were pushed out by his eyelids, sliding across his face. His hand let go of Stain, and rested on top of its hilt.

The Argon's footsteps grew louder. He felt the presence of a victor, so sure of himself and his survival. Lancel partially opened his eyes to a squint. He saw Ren, or the headless body of Ren. His entire head was mashed into pieces, the grass around him painted with his blood, skull and flesh. He was decapitated with fists, but what that really decapitation? This is brutality.

Lancel saw, just beside Ren's remains, a small doll. I will kill all of them... Kabral was standing before Lancel, the light from the moons reflecting his bloody armor. I will kill all of their nobles, their soldiers, their slaves. I will end their royal bloodline, murder every last citizen of Segnovia - just as Ren was murdered.

If Ren didn't deserve to live, then all Segnovians deserve to die.

Kabral was holding Ren's dagger. He raised it high above his head, point aimed at Lancel's still body. I cannot end here. The armored arm - no longer glowing gray - came down.

Lancel gripped Stain and consumed the last bits of his Kanna. The blade immediately flared with gray tendrils of smoke. Lancel pushed himself up, forgetting any proper stance or balance. He swung Stain at the closest target of his opponent, the downward moving arm.

Blood sprayed all over. Stain had cut just above the elbow, separating the forearm from the rest of his body. The Argon's right arm flew in the air and dropped to the ground along with the dagger. They will all die, starting with you, Kabral.

Kabral, believing he had already won, had stopped consuming his Kanna - and Thracite without Kanna was just like any other metal. Lancel raised Stain behind him, preparing for another attack and this time, it was to end this man's life. It was going to be the first death of many he had planned.

As Lancel was swinging Stain, Kabral shoved his left hand with its open palm to the end of the shaft still sticking out of Lancel's chest. The shaft went through Lancel's chest and came out his back. Lancel dropped Stain and the force hurled him to the ground once again.

He tried to move, he tried to gather every last ounce of will and strength he had, but he couldn't force his body to do what he needed it to do. Kabral went down to both his knees, cradling the area where his forearm once was. He was now covered with blood, his blood. I... have to kill them all...

Lancel felt pains in his body that he had never felt before. He felt his grip on his life loosening. Finally, this was what dying really felt like. Lancel tried to cling harder to life, but everything went black.

******

A/N - Please leave a comment on what you think of this so far, I appreciate any and all feedback. If you have a story you want me to read and critique, let me know I'll gladly look into it. Vote if you can! Thank you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 342 197
A RETURN TO KINGDOMS,BOOK 2 Word Count(ongoing): 254,004 (AMAZON VERSION AVAILABLE NOW) The bloodiest attack in centuries- an act of war, has been c...
1.9K 374 28
[UNDER EDITING] Born into the throne. Born into a life she never wanted, yet one she was destined for. But, princess Lantana has never wanted this li...
476 17 23
//He had my hands pinned tightly above my head as I squirmed beneath him. The blade twisting between his fingers. He held it up to my throat. I was a...
1.9K 276 23
Who knew that each side had a secret? Secrets that could change the tides of war in an instant. They played against the balance--the push and pull of...