Reunion (#3 Post-Order 66 Ser...

By Wild_Karrde

Captain Rex is wandering the galaxy, trying to find one of his lost brothers. The search is long and frustrat... More

Reunion - Part 1
Reunion - Part 2
Reunion - Part 3
Reunion - Part 4
Reunion - Part 5
Reunion - Part 6
Reunion - Part 7
Reunion - Part 8
Reunion - Part 10
Reunion - Part 11
Reunion - Part 12
Reunion - Part 13
Reunion - Part 14
Reunion - Part 15
Reunion - Part 16
Reunion - Part 17
Reunion - Part 18
Reunion - Part 19
Reunion - Part 20
Reunion - Part 21
Reunion - Part 22
Reunion - Part 23
Reunion - Part 24
Reunion - Part 25
Reunion - Part 26
Reunion - Part 27

Reunion - Part 9

296 6 0
By Wild_Karrde

Senna collapsed onto Rex's chest, sweat dripping from the tip of her nose as she tried to regain her breath. Rex smirked in between gasps, trailing his fingers along her spine as she relaxed all of her weight on top of him.

"You...you've gotten better at that...in the last year...and a half," she panted, and he chuckled.

"Had a lot of time to think."

"Think?" she teased.

"Yeah. What I'd do if you know...you were here."

"I see." She rolled off of him to lie next to him, patting his chest. "Well, you keep thinking then. Karking hells."

"Careful. I might get an ego."

She rolled her eyes as she pushed herself up on wobbly legs to head to the refresher. "I can live with your ego if you do that with it." Rex flushed, making every attempt to hide his grin.

"You're not so bad yourself," he said. "Where'd you learn that one thing?"

She winked at him. "Spent one night in a brothel when I couldn't find anywhere else to sleep. Picked up some tips and tricks while they let me crash on one of their couches." His eyebrows skyrocketed upwards and Senna let loose a cackle in response. "It was all tell and no showing, don't worry."

"Do I look worried?"

"You look surprised," she called over her shoulder before shutting the refresher door. Rex folded his hands behind his head, his breathing finally starting to level out. He smirked. We've both changed a lot in the last year and a half. His mind drifted to some of the other differences he'd noted as Senna re-emerged, pulling two water packets from his kitchenette and tossing one at him before climbing back into his bunk. She tucked her head into his shoulder, wrapping her arm around his waist and throwing one leg over his hip.

"You're thinking very loudly," she said, and he glanced down at her. Her blue eyes were somehow still sparkling in the dim light, but he could see a hint of concern in them as well.

"When did you start to be able to hear people's thoughts?" he asked. "You were right when you said you could barely move a wrench last time I saw you. You were getting stronger as you reconnected to the Force, but the things I've seen you do since we got back together are...something else entirely."

Senna sipped on her water packet before answering. "That was always something I was good at. In fact, that was how my connection to the Force first manifested when I was little. I was nothing more than a toddler, but I always seemed to be able to tap into the emotions of those around me. If someone was angry, I got upset as well. If someone was sad, I'd cry. I don't hear thoughts so much unless they're directed at me, but I am able to sense emotional states. I can feel when you're troubled or when you're angry. The manipulation aspect of that is something I learned when I was much older. I don't particularly care to use it, even on Imperials. Everyone has their strengths in their connection to the Force, some with physical manipulation like being able to push objects, others with their connection to living things. My mental connection has always been my strongest, whether it be empathetic or in my technical interests."

Rex hummed. "Maybe you're just smart when it comes to the tech."

She grinned. "Maybe."

He rolled onto his side to look at her. "I assume the communication aspect comes with the mental connection?"

"Yeah, that was something I didn't discover until I was almost ready to undertake my trials," she said, draining the last water from her packet before tossing it on the floor to be picked up later. "I can push thoughts or memories to other people when the time calls for it. It's not quite the same as the mind manipulation, more of a projection really."

"Memories?" he asked, his eyebrow raising slightly.

"Yeah."

Rex was hesitant, but his curiosity overwhelmed his caution. "How does that work?"

Senna snuggled closer. "Would you like me to show you?"

Rex considered it for a second but nodded. All in or nothing. I trust her. Senna studied him for a few more moments before wiggling even closer to him, her hands coming up to cradle his face as she pressed her forehead to his. He heard her breathing begin to deepen.

Close your eyes.

He did as she asked.

Suddenly, he was back on Lothal, dancing at the festival they'd encountered in the capital city with...himself. Looking down, he realized his body had been replaced with Senna's, her hair whipping past his view as the Rex in her memories spun them about. He felt warmth and love and happiness as Senna's giggle erupted from within him. The memory changed, and he was on Alderaan, pinned under Hunter while they sparred. Senna's head turned, and he saw himself conversing quietly with Echo, a subtle exchange of credits, and then a surge of determination as Senna bucked her hips upward to throw Hunter off of her, sending him tumbling as her laughter filled the room. Then, it was dark. Echo was there, a sadness in his eyes Rex had only seen a handful of times. Ryloth. This is the night she left.

"Are you sure this is what you want to do?" Echo asked quietly.

Rex felt Senna sniffle, her hands trembling at her sides. "Of course I don't want to. But I have to, Echo. I love him. I have to keep him safe, and this is the only way I know how right now," Senna's voice said, struggling not to waver. He felt her conflict, her desire to run back upstairs and snuggle against his sleeping form. Her insides ached, the lump in her throat growing with every passing second.

"Alright," Echo whispered. "Do you know where you're going?"

"No, and maybe that's for the best."

"Maybe."

Please don't blame him, Senna's voice asked quietly in Rex's mind.

I don't.

The memory changed again and now Rex was sitting on a transport, staring out a window. The ship was packed with life forms of all types and droids. He had his forehead rested against the transparisteel window, staring out at the bright blur of hyperspace. Senna's reflection gazed back at him from beneath her hood, her cheeks tear stained as he felt her quietly sob. Then he was under the night sky in some forest next to a small fire, lying on his back. Senna's left hand reached up towards the stars in front of him, metal and glinting in the firelight, the etching not yet present on the ring finger. Her pointer selected a single star, reaching out towards it as the fire crackled.

"The Tarsunt system. I heard you were there as of a few days ago, so I'm going to assume you're still there," Senna's voice said, sounding startlingly loud in the silence around her. "I think that's the right star. My datapad says it is, but the damn thing's been on the fritz since I left Dantooine. Really need to get a new soldering tool since I broke the one I had a few weeks ago." She humphed. "I'm sure you'd tell me to be more careful. You'd be right, but I'll never admit it." She sighed deeply, and Rex felt his chest rise and fall with her breath. "I miss you so much. I hope you're safe." Her hand dropped down to rest on her stomach, and she was silent a few moments before she raised the limb once more, taking it in her right hand and rubbing her thumb over the left ring finger of the cybernetic where she'd eventually etch the Jaig eyes. "Goodnight, Rex. I love you."

Rex felt his chest tighten as the memory shifted again, but this time, he was in a jungle sitting high up in a tree. Takodana he immediately realized, and his suspicion was confirmed as he watched himself go running past underneath, four stormtroopers in pursuit. He saw himself shed his cloak and head towards what would wind up being the cliff face. Senna dropped to the ground quickly, swearing softly under her breath as she raced through the underbrush after him, crouching in a set of bushes as she watched him slide over the edge of the cliff.

"Karking hells, Rex. What have you gotten yourself into this time?"

He watched himself shout back at the stormtroopers before he disappeared over the edge, and he felt Senna's breath catch in her throat as she lunged out at the soldiers, her blue lightsaber blade igniting and humming as she cut them down quickly. Turning, he saw his fingers slip over the edge, and Senna swore before racing after him, flinging the cable on her belt around a tree before diving after him.

Senna's hands slipped from his cheeks and Rex opened his eyes, gasping as the memories faded. Her blue eyes studied him carefully as he came back to reality. "Are you alright? Was it too much?" she asked, and he shook his head.

"No. No that was...something." He leaned forward, pressing his mouth to hers, and he felt her shudder. "I could feel everything. I felt how alone you were. Senna, I-"

"It's alright," she whispered against his skin. "Self-inflicted, remember?"

He cupped her face in his hands, running his thumbs over her cheeks. "When you came back to me, I was so angry. I didn't allow myself to believe that you'd hurt in the same way I had. I know I was wrong now. I think I always knew, but I was just blinded by my anger."

"Understandable," she replied, and he shook his head.

"You don't have to keep doing penance for this, Senna. I told you I forgive you."

"I know. Doesn't make me any less understanding of your reaction to what I did."

He huffed, his mind wandering. He had a request, but he feared her reply. "Senna...can I see the dreams you have?"

She froze in his arms, and she pulled away to study him further, her teeth digging into her lip as she considered his question. Rex immediately regretted it, opening his mouth to backpedal before she nodded.

"I think I owe you that much. To show you what haunted me enough to leave." A bead of blood formed on her lip near one of her teeth, and Rex raised his hand to swipe his thumb over her lower lip, breaking her habit for a few seconds. She ran her tongue over the broken skin as her eyes met his once more. "They're very realistic. Are you sure?"

All in or nothing. I want to know what burden she's carrying. "I am."

Senna moistened her lips again before lifting her shaking hands to frame his face once more. "Alright. If it gets too intense, just shout. I mean it."

He nodded against her forehead, closing his eyes once more.

He was standing on the bridge of a Star Destroyer. He looked down to see Senna's body in place of his own once more, her lightsaber in hand. Her feet carried her forward, and Rex felt a sense of dread settle over him.

It's always the same, no matter what path I take.

Senna walked through a maze of corridors, ending in a room he recognized immediately. It's where the Inquisitor had me. Sure enough, there he was, kneeling on the walkway a few meters away. Blood was trickling from his face down onto his white and blue armor. He felt Senna shudder.

"Rex?" her voice asked, but he could feel that she already knew what was coming.

A red blade ignited behind his kneeling figure, illuminating the Grand Inquisitor's form, a malicious grin glinting underneath his yellow eyes.

"We meet again, Master Aven," he sneered.

"Leave him alone," Senna demanded. "This is between you and I. He has nothing to do with this."

The Inquisitor snarled, pausing for a moment before smiling maliciously as he ran his lightsaber through Rex's back, the red blade bursting through his chest plate. Senna fell to her knees, screaming.

The dream repeated quickly, flashing through Rex's mind again and again. The same scene, Senna trying a different tack each time, but it always ended with his death. Sometimes the Inquisitor strangled him, sometimes he broke his neck, but every time, Rex watched himself die and felt Senna's anguish, her fear, and her rage. In a few instances, her arms were bound behind her back as she was forced to watch, and he felt her muscles tearing and her joints popping as she strained against her bindings, spittle flying from her mouth as she screamed and sobbed, trying to get to him. Rex felt her helplessness, her frustration, and her desperation. It broke him.

The images started flickering faster, and the sheer volume of the dreams began to overwhelm him.

"Senna."

He could feel her hands shaking against his face.

"SENNA."

The images stopped, and he opened his eyes to find her trembling, tears streaming down her face. He slid his arms around her, pulling her to his chest as she shuddered in his arms, quietly sobbing. "I'm so sorry," he whispered, rocking her. "I shouldn't have asked."

"I wanted you to know. I didn't leave for no reason. I wanted you to see why," she rasped, burying her face against his chest, her fingers digging into his back slightly as she clung to him. "I couldn't let that happen to you." Rex buried his fingers in her hair, pulling her face against him as he whispered into her hair.

"Did you think they were visions?" he asked.

"I wasn't sure," she replied softly, her voice wavering as she struggled to control her emotions. "I'm still not certain if they're just dreams or something else, but I just couldn't take the chance."

Senna had experienced some visions before, but only a handful had been premonitions, warning of things to come. Thinking back, her only visions that had come to pass involved me and the Inquisitor. No wonder she ran.

"I'm so sorry, Senna. I'm sorry I wasn't there to hold you and wake you up from that. I'm sorry you endured that all alone. I'm just so sorry."

"I was the one who left Rex."

"I know that. I just...Senna if I'd had any idea-"

She pulled back from him. "What would you have done? Honestly?"

Rex floundered before finally sighing. "I'm not sure. I just hate that you felt like that, that you shouldered that on your own." He reached out, stroking her cheek gently. "My safety isn't your responsibility, and the boys would agree with me. That wasn't on you to take on by yourself. And if the Inquisitor had shown up, I'd rather have been beside you, even if that meant I was killed. I never want you to feel like you have to do this on your own. Ever. Understood?" He slipped his fingers under her chin to raise her eyes to his, ensuring she was comprehending what he was saying. "Whatever we face, we face together."

She nodded, turning her head to place a kiss to his palm. "I know that now," she whispered. "I won't leave you again, Rex. I promise."

"Good," he said softly, brushing some stray hair back behind her ear. "Because once this is all said and done, I plan on having the same surname as you and living on that farm together."

She chuckled lightly, some normalcy returning to her. "Still the farm huh?"

"Honestly," he said, gripping her chin and pulling her lips to his, "I'd live on a rock in the middle of the most barren planet if it meant I got to spend the rest of my days with you, Senna Atiniir."

She shivered, and he pulled back, studying her. Senna smiled. "That's just the first time I've heard you say that name. It sounds nice when you say it."

He grinned, pulling her against him as he pressed another kiss to her lips. "You'd better get used to hearing it."

---

"I believe I have our list of candidates," Tech stated, adjusting his goggles. Senna, Rex, Echo, Gregor, and Hunter stood around a holo table as Tech pulled up his findings. An array of planets blinked into existence, glowing various shades of blue as Tech scrolled through them. "Based on the parameters Gregor was able to provide, I believe we should focus our efforts on the following planets: Wasskah, Takodana, Kashyyyk, Wayland, and Ithor."

Senna strode around the table. "Rex and I were just on Takodana and didn't see an unusual amount of Imperials there. I'd knock that to the bottom of the list."

Rex stroked his chin. "I think it's unlikely that the Trandoshans would welcome a large Imperial base as well. That checks off Wasskah, or at least bumps it down in priority. What about Kashyyyk?" He turned to Senna, noting the slight shudder that ran through her. She had been on Kashyyyk when Order 66 had been given, and to his knowledge, she had never returned. He watched as her hand absently drifted to the scar on her collarbone that she'd gotten while escaping the clone soldiers that had tried to kill her.

Gregor spoke up, eyeing Senna's nervous motions as well. "The jungles there are thick enough to make any construction a massive effort, not one I'm sure the Imperials would be willing to take up. They have cleared out a good portion of the Wookiee population though, so it wouldn't shock me if that does ultimately wind up being the place. But if I were betting, I'd put my credits on Ithor or Wayland."

Rex rubbed his hand over the back of his neck. "We can start with those two then."

"No," Senna countered, and his eyes snapped to hers. She was chewing her lip. "Kashyyyk is the closest planet to here. We should hit it first. It makes sense logistically." Her eyes met his, and she gave him a slight nod.

I'll be alright.

"What do we know about Ithor and Wayland?" Echo asked. "I've met Ithorians, but I've never been to either of those places."

Tech punched a few buttons and zoomed in on the larger of the two remaining worlds. "Ithor's surface is largely untouched due to the fact that the Ithorians view it as sacred. As a result, there's a good chance the fauna Gregor described may exist there, even though the records of life there are few and far between. There have been recent reports of Imperial activity in the sector, and while the rumors claim that it's related to interest in Ithorian agriculture, I still believe there's a significant chance that it could be the planet where the base is hidden." The goggled clone changed the hologram, bringing the smaller world into focus. "Wayland, we know less about, I fear. It's mostly uninhabited outside of a few settlements. Its climate is mostly temperate with the exception of the zones near the planet's equator. There, the planet has thick jungles that are home to hundreds of species, including the ones Gregor was able to remember. In addition, there are several significant mountain ranges within that area, including a few peaks that could be large enough to house an entire military installation. Some Imperial activity has been reported in that area, but unfortunately we do not have the scouting patrol coverage to give us more information than that."

Hunter stepped forward, poking at the hologram as he twisted it and zoomed in before swapping back to Ithor and performing the same examination. "All of these places seem like good candidates. Nice work, Tech. When do you leave?"

"I'd recommend as soon as possible. If activity is being ramped up on any one of these worlds, it will only become more difficult to infiltrate."

Hunter nodded, stepping back and crossing his arms. "How are the repairs on the Marauder coming?"

"Hyperdrive is back together," Echo replied. "Still need to run a few more diagnostics, and Tech still has to perform the scanner upgrades, but I'd guess we could leave by tomorrow afternoon if Tech and I go straight back to work after this." Tech bobbed his head in agreement.

Hunter turned to Rex and Senna. "Gregor and I can show you where the supplies are. We just received a new shipment of rations and med kits, so you shouldn't have any issue stocking up. Wrecker did a number on our stores on our last outing."

Senna raised an eyebrow. "On your rations or your medical supplies?"

Hunter smirked. "Both."

Rex sighed, crossing his arms as he stared at the glowing planets in front of him. "It's settled then. We head for Kashyyyk tomorrow." He didn't miss the way Senna's arms wrapped around herself a little tighter, her fingers digging into her biceps.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.8K 1K 35
During the Clone Wars, the Bad Batch is tasked with a variety of missions across the galaxy. An unexpected addition to their team throws a wrench in...
5.5K 231 43
~ Intuition - Book 1 - Rex and Lenora ~ ~ ''They told me, ''Be sensible with your new love. Don't be a fool, thinking this is the last you'll find.'...
3.9K 232 26
A Star Wars (Bad Batch) fan-fiction. YA (some violence) 𝐒𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐲 Jade lives in guilt. She's escaped the dreaded Arena, but she left her brother...
9.8K 279 26
What starts off as a snarky blind date that takes a surprising turn... continues as a ridiculous excuse to write some spicy smut for Crosshair. He li...