The Great Escape

By Apple_Brooklyn

Paranoid and frightened, Ada bears the scars of her past on her charred skin and tortured mind. Slaving away... More

Prologue- Burned
Chapter- 1
Chapter- 2
Chapter- 3
Lady Kiara
Chapter- 5
Chapter- 6
Chapter- 7
Chapter- 8
Chapter- 9
Chapter- 10
Chapter- 11
Audience Part I
Audience Part II
Chapter- 12
Chapter- 13
Chapter- 14
Chapter- 15
Chapter- 16
Chapter- 17
Chapter- 18
Chapter- 19
Chapter- 20
Chapter- 21
Chapter-22
Chapter - 23
Chapter-24

Chapter- 4

160 17 127
By Apple_Brooklyn

Ada woke up early in the morning the next day. She, along with all the other maids, was ordered to look more presentable than usual and she knew that her marred face would require more help than anyone else's. She thought of waking up Sarah and Misa but knowing they were up till late hours prior night, she decided against it.

The sun was yet to rise when she reached the community bathroom. It was made on the outskirts of the private estate near the extensive forest, for the maids to bathe.

Two female guards, both half-blooded vampiresses, stood stationed at the entrance. Adorned in a green dress shirt and golden armour, their light red eyes surveying the area, with sharp spears in their hands.

Ada gave a quick bow before entering the bathroom.

It was a massive room with a large bathtub made of stone. The bathtub itself was divided into many sections by slabs of stones. The supply of water was from the river stream nearby, hence, it was immensely cold.

Ada dipped her finger into the water to check the temperature and shivered from the coldness the liquid possessed.

"To hell with bathing," She mumbled and turned around to leave but then she remembered Mrs. Smith's harsh glare and the thin stick she uses to strike anyone who does not obey her.

Gnawing at her lower lip, she looked at the water secured by the stone walls with a frown.

An idea popped in her head.

Looking around to make sure none of the guards were peeking, she put her hands on the nearest stone wall of the tub and murmured, "Nomine Priscellam vocat ignem."

She could feel her hands tingling.

Energy started to run down from her shoulders to her hands in the form of red thread-like structures. Her palms felt warm as the fire was summoned and the stones were heating up. Little bubbles started appearing at the bottom of the tub and soon thin tendrils of steam filled the air.

Ada withdrew her hands with a smile and quickly stripped off her clothes. Placing the eye patch on the slab, close and at ready if she needs to wear it suddenly, she stepped into the water.

The balmy water caressing her skin felt delightful as she cleaned herself and stepped out of the tub, making sure to drain the water of that section in which she had bathed.

She wished to stay a little longer but did not want to risk getting caught sitting in a tub filled with bubbling water when there was no resource to do so in the community bathroom.

Questions would be raised and even if she managed to escape them somehow, suspicion would house in everyone's mind and that can never be an ideal situation.

"An innocent-looking offender fends off way better than a suspicious-looking innocent." She could hear her grandmother's voice loud and clear in her head.

By the time she reached her room, everyone had been up and dashing towards the community bathroom. Ada sighed in relief to have bathed way before the rush.

She brushed her dull shoulder-length hair, tufts of strands interlinked with each other tangled with her fingers. She lightly touched her head, before raking her fingers through the blonde mop.

She needed no mirror to know that she was losing hair, unnaturally so.

With a sigh, she dressed up and changed her makeshift eye patch. Her mind reeled back to the days when she lived with her grandmother. Her grandmother used to oil her hair almost every second day, despite her regular protests.

And, though she hated oiling her hair, she loved that time of the day the most.

Wrinkled, rough but caring fingers carefully, soothingly massaging her scalp.

A gentle voice narrating to her the events the aged eyes had encountered and stories the old ears had listened.

Puzzling her granddaughter with her questions, prompting her to reason and discuss.

All the while, the younger devil ran around in the small garden they had, playing and laughing.

Those were the times when her hair was healthy; she was healthy— physically as well as mentally.

Ada shook her head. Taking a glance at the mattress where she had hid the gold coins she stole, she opened the door.

A week. A week and I will go to the market and buy rabbit fur and I will know where my brother is. She will tell me where my brother is.

Ada made her way towards the quarters of Mrs. Smith. They were on the first floor of the mansion, where the butler of the mansion also resided.

"To the kitchen." Mrs. Smith informed as soon as she saw the girl walking towards her.

Ada hurried behind the woman, keeping her head low, as the Head Maid continued giving orders to the other maids she met on the way towards the kitchen.

The kitchen was an immensely large room with three rows of slabs made of granite in the front, which extended from the right side to the middle of the kitchen area.

On the left side, there were two hearths. At the back, there was a large fireplace and on the adjacent wall, there were two ovens.

She could see the spit boys readying the fireplace by stacking it with coal. Ladles, spits, pots and other utensils were hung up on the right wall. The maids and the male servants were already bustling around, taking stocked food from the pantry and cleaning the floor along with the utensils. Misa was busy slicing the vegetables, a scowl on her face.

"Ada," She heard Mrs. Smith say, "Help Amy clean."

"Yes, ma'am." She picked up a mop placed in the corner and moved towards the large iron bucket filled with water. Dropping the mop inside it then wringing it, she started cleaning the floor. Her eyes clashed with Amy's who hastily looked away as if the eye contact scorched her.

An hour later, Ada sagged back, sitting on the ground and leaning against the wall, to catch her breath as the kitchen floor had been mopped thoroughly.

The thunderous sound of a spear slapping against the wall just above her head made her jump.

"Don't slack, idiot," a daunting human guard grumbled.

"Stand up."

Ada opened her mouth to retort but he was already gone. She huffed and stood up. She walked out of the kitchen and upstairs to find Mrs Smith. She was in the hall, setting up the table, eyebrows furrowed."Ma'am, the kitchen—"

"Oh Ada." The Head Maid spun around to face her, her eyes widened in distress. "Inform everyone in the kitchen the Young Master's fiancee will be over here at any given moment, we are running late! Be quick!"

Hearing the urgency in her voice, Ada rushed back to the kitchen, though on her way back, she could hear the screeching of the main gate opening downstairs.

She peeked from the corner as she reached the last step of the staircase as the front door was wide open. She could see three elegant horses neighing in front of the main gate.

Mr. Thompson was standing there to receive the guest near the main gate.

Huh? Already here? Did she ride a horse?

She ran towards the kitchen.

"Lady Kiara—" she breathed out as she reached the kitchen, thumping the door to gain the attention of the maids working in there, "She is already here. Be quick!"

Every maid tensed as they realized how late they were.

"She was not going to be here until noon!" A maid exclaimed. She stirred the boiling with the ladle vigorously.

"We have barely started. How are—"

"I suggest you stop talking and start working." Mrs. Smith stepped inside the kitchen, her lips set in a thin line. "Misa, start brewing tea for eight people. Ada and Misty, deliver it to the drawing room once it is ready. For the present, Ada, bring fifteen lamps from the storehouse to the guestrooms of the older wing of the mansion."

"Yes, ma'am." Ada nodded and darted outside to do the task assigned.

By the time she came back, the tea was ready to be served. Ada took hold of the silver tray with several cups of tea on it, while Misty picked up the other one with pastries.

They walked down the dark hallways as the windows were covered by thick curtains because pure-blooded vampires hated sunlight. It was not lethal to them but caused untamable irritation which may develop to rashes if exposed to the sun rays long enough.

Though, she had heard tales of the very first born vampires— the ones who now resided in a distant land, somewhere in the dark forests, surrounded by waters, where no light seeped in through the thick canopy of the enchanted woods— the sunlight was just as lethal to them as salt to a snail. It burned their flesh and melted their bones. However, as their lineage proceeded forward, it became easier for them to walk around in the blistering heat of the sun above their heads. It was still a nuisance to them, yet bearable, much to the chagrin of the other beings.

The ability to amble with the sky still lit up with the yellow ball of fire did not cost nothing, though. They paid heftily for it as the blood dependant beings were far less strong. Many of them, despite of being one of the pure-blooded ones, lacked the sensitive hearing and vision— along with many special gifts their ancestors possessed. It was not the best deal they received from the heavens above in Ada's opinion.

Lost sight, smell and strength only to walk in the park and get rashes afterwards. I would rather live in those forests.

On their way to the drawing room, they were two turns away from it when they met the sight of the Young Master Paris advancing towards them along with a lady.

Ada sighed and her eyes strayed towards the guards standing at their post. He was a half-blooded vampire and was baring his teeth as soon as their eyes met, a warning to keep her eyes down.

Ada glanced at the curtains.

Maybe I should just burn these curtains and dangle him upside down on the window sill. With angry red rashes all over his skin, that would definitely be a sight to see. Ada thought, thinning her lips as they got closer to the Young Master.

The Young Master.

Paris was a comely man, undoubtedly. With his red hair reaching his broad shoulders, bright red eyes showcasing his pure-blooded lineage, chiselled jawline, and a tall, robust build; he was someone whose presence could never be ignored.

The first time she had seen him was when she lived in a humble village, Syp, with her family of three— a younger brother and a grandmother.

It was a summer day, and he was visiting the village for some official work.

She was there in the quaint market place buying supplies when a splendid carriage stopped in front of the stall beside the one she was at.

Paris Monroe had stepped out of the carriage. He had purchased some things from the stall and talked kindly to his future subjects.

If one were to talk at lengths with him, they would notice the young aristocrat was not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to practical matters. He was a daft— may Goddess Priscilla forgive her for using such terminology— at most and at least. Ada refused to believe his fellows took him much seriously. He was just as much genius as Sarah and that was not a lot.

It pained her.

Balls and parties were frequent in the mansion and she had seen him interact enough with his peers. It pained her to see them serving backhanded compliments. She wondered whether when he laughed, was it because he was simply unaware of the undertone or chose to laugh it off because he could not muster a good reply. He—

A nudge on her side startled Ada. She glanced at Misty to see her glaring at her. "Stop staring, idiot," she hissed.

Ada whispered a sorry and looked ahead. This time her eyes fell upon the young lady accompanying the Young Master. She was a petite and lovely human. Long and glossy brunette hair with doe-like eyes, a small button nose on her round face. She had her fists clenched at her sides and her gaze was boring holes in the floor.

Ada sighed. Two pushovers married off to each other. Indeed, a feast for the high-class society.

"Your Lordship, My Lady." The maids bowed as they reached the two.

"Pick up two cups, Lady Kiara, we will enjoy our teas in the garden. Go ahead," the man spoke up with a faint smile, his bright red eyes gleaming in the darkness of the hallway.

Ada and Misty snapped their heads at the man, blinking at him then looked at each other before looking down.

WWhat?

Ada was shell shocked, her mind a blank slate. This is so unlike the Young Master. How could he possibly ask— She peeked at Lady Kiara. The lady stared at the Young Master Paris, bewildered, but quickly composed herself.

A small smile graced her lips before she nodded and picked up one cup of tea from the tray. Though, before anyone could process anything, the two maids were left gaping along with the lady.

Paris was in the state of shock as he saw his formerly white doublet was stained with the tea.

"My Lady!" He screamed.

"It was unintentional, Sir," she mumbled and frowned.

"Ada, help me," Misty whispered beside her and bent down to pick up the broken pieces. Ada jerked back into action, cutting her fingers in the process. She bit her lips to keep in the hiss as blood seeped out of her wounds.

She glanced up and saw the Young Master staring at her. His lips parted to say something but before the bewildered man could say anything, the butler was there ushering him to the room.

Ada's eyes were stuck on the Lady, however, whose lips were pulled into a smirk at the retreating figure of the butler and the Young Master.

The only feast is the poor Young Master, it seems.

A/N: A lot more moments of interactions between Ada and Paris will be there in the future:) What do you think of them at the moment?

Vote, comment if you liked the chapter! Thanks for reading XD

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.1K 674 63
Book one in "The Reign of The Flame" series "If she became queen, she would be the end of us all." A disinherited princess and a kingdom on the verge...
Reign ✔ By Kajree Gautom

Historical Fiction

13.9K 642 23
HR : #42 in HF There comes a time in life when you are not very sure of who exactly you are. You get confused in accepting yourself. You get engulf...
29 0 11
A darkness slithers into the dead's haven and turns their spirits against the living. An elven mage who enters the realm of the dead at will... A r...
47 6 5
''To all the men who pretend to be gods, and all the women who will succeed them.'' Centuries ago, the world was cursed by the gods. A large tree spr...