Serpent's Traitor (Four Kingd...

By TheresNo_Rush

With a group of unlikely allies, Alethia must become an unstoppable force to let go of her haunting past and... More

author's note
the prophecy
1. prologue: head seer (part 1)
2. prologue: head seer (part 2)
3. resolve (part 1)
4. resolve (part 2)
5. a deadly weapon (part 1)
6. a deadly weapon (part 2)
7. two days' time (part 1)
8. two days' time (part 2)
9. outrageous plans (part 1)
10. outrageous plans (part 2)
11. outrageous plans (part 3)
12. fragmenting into turmoil (part 1)
13. fragmenting into turmoil (part 2)
14. raging hellhole (part 1)
15. raging hellhole (part 2)

16. misery awaits

72 7 4
By TheresNo_Rush

A/N: this chapter hasn't been edited yet so I apologize in advance for any glaring grammatical/sentence structure errors! I wanted to publish it for your reading regardless of that! Enjoy :) Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts!

731 days after Queen Liliana's conquest of the Gera Kingdom

§

The motion of the ship swayed with the violent, jerky motions of a drunken pirate—a motion Kai had put to an end the moment their flushed faces and haughty laughter appeared on the deck. With a simple flick of his wrist, the men slumped onto the wood, embracing a darkness like the one that clung to his heart with the mannerisms of a parasitic.

Kai's dark cloak flapped in the vicious wind as waves of water crashed into the anchored ship. He could only assume the pirates had been on shore to drink themselves silly for whatever outlandish reason that was beyond him.

Usha would understand why these men insisted on loading their bellies with ale until they collapsed. At the nostalgic memory of the dark-skinned girl who'd stolen his heart with her mischievous grins and infectious laughter, Kai let out a long sigh.

Night was enveloping the ship and a misty fog clawed its way across the sea. Damp water wetted his face and Kai licked his lips, ignoring the salty aftertaste that coated his tongue in the process. Another storm was coming, but this time, it would take more than the Tartians to stop it.

He could only do his part, as it was his duty to assure this plan went exactly as it should. Balancing the level of intervening and observing was a careful dance that left Kai tiptoeing on the edge of repeating history. Lucky for him, he was always good at dancing.

Now, he stood, basking in the moonlight that grew stronger with each passing second, far from the tight rope that him and Usha used to practice routines on. The thick band of silver on his middle finger burned from the number of men he'd put to sleep. Kai clicked his tongue as exhaustion raced through him in an impressive game of cat and mouse. He wrestled with the feeling, attempting to push it down rather than allow it to overcome him.

He must complete what he came here to do and return to the buqa ouras for his next assignment.

His last assignment.

Kai's jaw tightened as he walked across the floorboards to the captain's cabin. Each step let loose a clacking noise as his heeled boots disrupted the ship's normal melody. His magic swirled within him, bringing forth noises of swords rasping against each other, deep voices chuckling, orders called for lookouts and landings, and scuffling boots that occurred when a storm rocked their deck anew.

This ship held enough memories that it was sickening to hear them all. Kai rubbed his piercing along the roof of his mouth until he drew blood.

His patience was thinning. Being amongst such merry energy that stunk of good times and bonding moments made him realize how much he longed to return home—to return to the one person who could give him all those memories.

He yanked open the cabin door, the force of the wind nearly jerking it out of his grasp as if nature itself was against what Kai was here to do. Perhaps it was.

Nature tended to know the roots of ill-intentions that held behind illustrious masks of peace and promised outcomes. As dark magic deprecates the land, swirling energy with a hint of malice could leave the wind howling with warnings.

Warnings that fell on deaf ears if one wasn't alert, and most humans were not.

Kai shut the door and sat on the wooden chair overlooking the wide deck. He peered at the Wasted Sea, which thrashed about with the childish tendencies of a tantrum. The reckless behavior of the water and the brown flakes swarming in its mist was the only confirmation Kai needed.

Indeed, nature was giving them a dire warning and if it wasn't heeded, all would be doomed.

He would be doomed to this cursed land, tied to it like a prisoner to a dungeon floor. Kai breathed deeply, forcing down the roar of anger.

Kaleb's temper was rubbing off on him.

He couldn't afford to lean into his rage, not now. It was the reason Kai had taken this part and directed Kaleb to the Eastern Slopes.

Kai smirked at the thought. Maybe the ruthless cold mountains would simmer his brother's hothead.

Footsteps landed on the deck, but Kai ignored the open view to see the stranger, instead he watched the door, waiting on their prompt arrival.

The stranger banged into the room, the door almost ripped from its hinges. The figure's burgundy cloak was soaked until it was more black than red while his golden eyes were sharp in the shadows. "Was that necessary? Twice now, ya gone and pillaged my lookouts. They might've been three sheets to the wind, but a pair of eyes are a pair of eyes, ya know what I mean?"

"Your crew is merely resting," Kai responded in a quiet tone, rising from his seat. He pushed his hood off. Bright silver hair shined as he ran a hand through the disheveled strands. "I presume you finished the first part of our deal, Captain Slyvester?"

"I got em all riled up just like ya asked," Sly sniffed, letting his cloak pool to the ground.

Kai slung the leather pouch resting against his back to his front. He ruffled inside its content as Sly moved to lean on the desk near the shuttered window overlooking the deck. Kai pulled out a clear crystal ball and outstretched his hand. The ball glowed briefly before dimming.

Sly smirked and snatched it out of Kai's palm. The pirate captain peered at the crystal, juggling it from one hand to the next.

"What cha have to do again to make it work?" he asked, glancing up at Kai.

"Focus your magic energy into its core," Kai responded. "Keep a steady stream and it will work for however long you can sustain it."

The captain whistled, peering at the ball with clear interest. "Ya just full of surprises, ain't cha?"

Kai rolled his eyes. "You can drop the act, Slyvester. It is a rather dull piece, and it does not suit someone such as you."

Sly ducked his head and roused his burgundy hair. When he spoke again, his voice deepened. "Do I even want to know how you figured it out?"

"There are some things better left unsaid," Kai responded, folding his hands in front of the leather pouch as his eyes narrowed on the pirate. Sly could fool everyone else as much as he pleased. It was no concern to Kai nor was it his business. However, in private, Kai would prefer if the man at least acknowledged the truth.

It would make both their jobs easier.

"Yeah, I know what you mean." Sly turned to peer out the window, throwing the ball in the air and catching it without looking. "Someone once told me the same exact thing."

Kai contained his wince at the statement. As much as he loved his homeland, he could not ignore the bitter history hidden beneath the surface. A history that exposed their hypocrisy and implacable proclamations that would disrupt the very foundation the kingdoms stood upon. Not many people knew what lurked in the darkness, but Kai and his brother were more than aware.

"You will find good company with him," Kai softened his voice in recognition of Sly's undoubtful suffering. The captain's eyes jumped to him, interest lighting them from the shadows of the past.

"Ya don't say." Sly brightened with a wide smile. "Is the lad a cute one?"

"I'm sure you will find him to your satisfaction." Kai nodded, although he knew that after their first interaction, he doubted the two would get along very well. But there was no time to waste on discussing those things. Kai straightened. "Are you prepared?"

"Of course, do ya know who ya talkin' to?" Sly smirked and waved a hand in the air. "It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel. No muss, no fuss. Ya can count on ya good ole captain, that's for sure."

Kai scoffed at the return of Sly the pirate. Now, he wanted to leave more than ever. "The second part of the deal awaits you at your destination. Do not fail."

"Yea, yea, yea. Don't cha got something better to be doing right now?" Sly ushered him to the door. "Some other poor lads to sucker into making a deal with you? Go, I've got this covered."

Kai stepped out onto the deck where the wind whipped at his hair. He glanced over his shoulder at Sly, who stood with an innocent smile on his face and waved. Kai clicked his tongue and twisted the silver ring on his finger.

Power raced through his veins at thunderbolt speed as swirls of fog gathered around him. Soon, his vision was obscured with whiteness and the blood rushed to his ears as the air whistled with joy.

When the fog cleared, Kai let out a sigh that blossomed into vapor, forming a baby cloud that dissipated as fast as it appeared. He craned his neck as snowflakes pooled from the sky in streams. The Eastern Slopes glared back at him, towering over everything with enough intimidation that most wildlife wouldn't dare approach its base.

Most, but not all. One kind in particular could survive in the stormy mountains for centuries. Kai scanned the piles of snow as if a Cosimia would materialize in front of him.

Despite their legendary status and prowess, Cosimian were thought to be extinct due to the chains of humanity. However, finally, there was hope once more. Kai started toward the base of the mountain, his boots slamming knee deep into snow that slowed his progress.

Of all the other assignments, this one was the most important. It would become a turning point in history and break the once indestructible chains that weighed the Four Kingdoms down into the pit of abyss.

And one quirky Head Seer, Samir Blackthorn, might just be the person who could do it. But everything rode on Kai and Kaleb finding and taming the celestial creature the Head Seer needed by his side to accomplish the impossible.

As Kai trudged through the snow, glancing up at the mountains and feeling the roar of magic rise, he couldn't help but consider that this was a foolish assignment with nothing but misery awaiting them.

§

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.4K 1.9K 53
The uncontrollable power lurking beneath Princess Alethia's skin can either be the savior of the Four Kingdoms or its destruction. Princess Alethia w...
15.3K 674 63
Book one in "The Reign of The Flame" series "If she became queen, she would be the end of us all." A disinherited princess and a kingdom on the verge...
67.1K 6.2K 22
BRAITHE is leading a double life. The dutiful princess during the day, at night the masked vigilante fighting back against her parents' abuse of the...
1.6K 424 41
#2Wattpadteenfiction If you want to read a book, with a good fantasy plot, you've come to the right place. Get ready for romance, royalty and magic...