Grace (BWWM)

By Sarah579

"I'm going to take care of you and the kids, Grace." Oh. I just...I get this feeling within me that just warm... More

Foreword
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Continuation of Chapter Thirty-Six and Character Images
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
A Note
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three: The Last Chapter
Author's Note
Epilogue
Final Goodbye For This Story
Information + Bonus Stuff (Cuts of Original Chapters)
Published on Kindle

Chapter Thirty-Three

1.3K 117 31
By Sarah579

"Oh Mama," Nova gushes, her eyes wide with surprise. For once in my lovely daughter's life, she can't even find the words to say. Her eyes swim and she nods, settling with a smile. I have to agree with her. Of all the dresses I have tried on and all the stores we have gone to, we finally found the dress for me.

I wasn't sure at first what to get. Should I get something that was more elaborate and keep it for the larger wedding in the future? Or maybe I should get something simple?

"It's perfect, Aunty," Rose says as she stands beside her cousin. I'm glad she was able to come out today-and not just her. My eyes find Victoria's in the mirror and even though she's silent, her expression says everything. She keeps herself composed, but her eyes take on a sheen. Today is a special day, and I am glad they are both here. It has been three weeks since Joe spoke to my sister and the healing that has occurred during this time has surprised me. We are on much better terms now, and I am thankful for that.

The wedding dress I'm wearing was actually on the clearance rack at a bridal shop we stepped into. It's simple, yet elegant. It honestly feels like it was made just for me, and I love not only the way it looks, but also how it feels. I feel beautiful-and not just that, I feel comfortable.

The gown has tulip sleeves with lace detailing that continues on the bodice, stopping an inch or two before my waist. The rest is a lovely satin, and it has a small train at the back. I wasn't even sure what material I wanted, but this is perfect. There is even small beading and sparkles on the lace detailing. It isn't too simple, but it also looks elegant and classy. The V-neck is not low at all, and nothing is really revealed. The dress is taken in at the waist and flows gently down the rest of the way.

"And the back . . ." Rose gushes. I turn my head to catch the detailing in the mirror behind me and my eyes widen. I hadn't even seen that. The lace continues on the back. Without it, there would have been just sheer material revealing my back, but the lace provides more modesty and adds even more beauty to the dress.

"Oh," I whisper. I'm taken by it.

"I heard some of the ladies at the front earlier. They said that there is a sale going on today," my sister says. The dress is only four hundred fifty dollars, but with the sale, it will bring the price even lower. I wasn't expecting something so beautiful that is much lower than my budget. I had almost lost hope that we would even find a dress for me.

"That is wonderful," I say. Victoria nods and moves from her spot to me. She looks at the dress in the mirror and then turns to me.

"You look absolutely beautiful, Adeola." Tears spring up at her words, and she steps onto the little makeshift stage I stand on, giving me a hug.

"I'm glad you're here," I say in her ear.

"I am glad as well. I have you and Joe to thank for that . . . I am sorry for my behavior, my sister."

"I forgive you." The words come out with such ease. "I love you."

"I love you as well," she says, her voice thick with unshed tears.

Our daughters take pictures of us and then of me alone. And after, I go to purchase the dress, but I'm surprised when Victoria pays for it.

"My sister-" I start, but she ignores me, also purchasing an expensive box for the dress. "What?"

"You will need to store it for your next celebration."

"But I can pay for it myself," I gently argue.

"I know, and so can I. I am your older sister, and I want to contribute in some way. As your older sister, I should be taking care of you." She takes the receipt from the associate who also hands her the dress while giving us both a smile. Victoria carefully hands me the dress in the bag it was placed in. It's a see-through one that she also bought.

"I should be able to do at least this much," she says. My eyes swim at her gesture, and I give her a hug.

"Thank you," I say.

"Of course. I will let you buy the rest though."

"The rest?"

"Of course. Or will you not wear anything else to surprise him?"

I let out a surprised laugh, heat rising to my cheeks. I glance at our daughters, who give me a look before sharing one with each other, giggling.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I mutter, my eyes flitting away in embarrassment. Victoria just gives me a look. She's always more blunt than me.

"I am speaking of lingerie. Or will you not say anything because Rose and Nova are here? Very well, I will not push you, but just make sure to get something he will love." My cheeks burn even more.

"We can talk about this later, my sister." She just gives me a look before turning to the associate.

"How long does your discount go on for?"

"Two more days, ma'am. Was your sister looking for anything in particular?" she asks, her eyes dancing in delight.

"As a matter of fact-"

"We are fine, I already have it covered. Thank you, and take care," I say before stalking away. I don't know how they can discuss such things openly and easily. Indeed, I do have this covered. I already ordered a few sets the day Joe proposed to me, but my sister doesn't need to know that.

"Do not mind her, she is very reserved and shy about these things," I hear Victoria continue.

"Oh, that's alright. Congratulations to her and her fiancé."

"Thank you, dear. Take care."

"You too," the associate calls before the three follow after me.

"Oh, Mama." I look to Nova as she comes beside me, a smile on her face.

"Yes?" I ask, a slight frown on my own. That doesn't deter her though.

"I'm happy to see you much more open. You used to be more closed off emotionally speaking. But with Pa, you've been . . . brighter. You laugh more and you're more in tune with your emotions. I love that."

I blink, taken aback by her words. I look away for a moment before looking back to her.

"Thank you," I say softly, and she stares at me for a moment, her eyes widening before she squeals, throwing her arms around me in a tight embrace.

"Oh Mama, you're so cute! No wonder Pa loves to tease you so much."

I let out a breath, a smile making its way to my face, but I hide it, choosing to softly reprimand her instead.

"I am your mother, Nova." Cuteness is reserved for those who are younger.

"I know, and you're cute when you're in love!" she says.

I roll my eyes at that but put an arm around her. She brightens further, smiling at me.

"I love you, Mama," she says, and as I look at her, I can't help but see her as a baby, and then a toddler, a young girl, and now a young woman. She still has that same smile and personality. I can't help it as I kiss her head, surprising her.

"I love you too, my dear."

She holds on tighter, a soft smile on her mouth.

"I know."

We all make it to my sister's car and climb in, heading back to my home. Since the wedding is only taking place at the church and is small, there's not much to do. The church was nice enough to offer to decorate the chapel they use for marriages for us, and two of the church members, a photographer and a videographer, who are also a married couple, will be recording and taking pictures of the ceremony for free as well. It's such a blessing.

"Aunty, how are you feeling?" Rose asks from the backseat.

"Good . . . nervous," I respond, and my sister laughs.

"You better feel good, the wedding is next week Saturday, afterall," she says. Indeed, the wedding is in seven days exactly. My mouth splits in a wide smile as my stomach does a small flip. I can't wait.

"Look at my sister looking like a small girl in love," Victoria teases. I swat at her shoulder, and she laughs. I can't wait.

The days drag on much more than they seemed to do when Joe and I were waiting for months. One of the things we've been doing as we wait is furnish the home he built. We've been getting things like a washing machine, dryer, fridge, dishwasher, beds, etc.

The kids have been lots of help as well. They all have. Rose has come by to see the home, and we also had Austin come by on a different date, as he's still part of the family. With that being said, Joe and I had a change of plans regarding Austin and the wedding. It didn't sit right with us to merely do a video call, so we figured something out.

The week of the wedding I wake up each morning and mark days off the calendar. Monday turns into Tuesday, which turns into Wednesday and then Thursday, Friday, and finally Saturday.

"Oh my word," I say to myself as I wake. A smile already rests on my face as I look forward to the day. It's today. I hurry out of bed, checking and double-checking the calendar just to make sure. It really is today. Today is the wedding and now that it is here, I almost can't believe it.

The clock at my bedside reads eight a.m. The wedding starts at noon, but Joe and I thought it would be a good idea to give ourselves much needed time before then-especially with how I take more time to get ready. I continue staring at the calendar, smiling. I can't believe it.

My phone rings, surprising me. My smile only grows, and I pick it up.

"Good morning, love," Joe says, his voice deeper than usual, like he just woke up. A warm, happy feeling goes through me. I will love waking up with him in the mornings.

"Good morning, my dear."

"You sleep well, Gracie?"

I settle back onto my bed, melting at his question.

"Yes. Did you?"

"I slept well, but I would have preferred being with you."

If I hadn't fallen for this man before, I certainly would have fallen for him now.

"I just want to hold you in my arms all night and wake up to you," he continues, his sweet words warming my heart.

"I'd love that." A wide smile splits my lips.

"Just a few more hours until then. But that's not even what I called to say. You're always distracting me," he jokes, and I laugh.

"What did you call for?"

"I wanted to see if you wanted to pray over the phone together. I wanted us to start our day together with God."

As if I couldn't love him anymore.

"That would be great."

"Alright. I'll lead us then. Father Lord, Grace and I come to You today on this blessed day that You have woken us up to. Today is our marriage, a union that we want to make before You and man. I just want to give You thanks for this lovely woman. She is such a blessing in my life and. . ." he chokes up a bit and I feel my eyes sting with fresh tears. "You know just how thankful I am for her. We've both had some downs in our lives that have brought us right back to the foot of the cross.

"We've also had wonderful ups that point us back to You as well. I've watched Grace grow, and she's watched me grow as well. I thank You for the faith You've given her, and I thank You for the faith You have blessed me with as well. I'm grateful for all who will be attending this wonderful event and I ask that You take them back home safely. Even if things may not go perfectly, I just pray that You help us maintain a thankful attitude and help us to remember the most important thing. I can really go on forever, but I want Grace to get ready on time, so I'll cut things short." I stifle my laugh at his words. "I ask for protection as we head to church this morning Lord, and I just pray for wonderful memories. In Jesus name I pray, amen."

"Amen," I say. "God bless you, Joe." My heart is just full of love right now. He has such great traits, but I think his best one is that he's a man after God's own heart.

"Thank you, Grace. God bless you as well, love."

"Thank you." A thought comes to mind. "Do you have time to read some Scripture before we get ready?"

"Always; do you have anything in mind?"

"Psalm 23." It's a chapter we memorized together recently.

"I love it. The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want," he starts.

"He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside still waters," I say after him.

"He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake."

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me."

I absolutely love this short chapter. It's a great one to memorize and carry with you. When you feel down, you can just recall the verses and repeat them to yourself.

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; my cup overflows," he continues.

"Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life."

"And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

"Amen," I finish.

"Amen," he agrees. A comfortable silence passes between us, and I lie back down in bed, a joyful peace settling on my heart.

"I love you, Grace."

"I love you too, Joe."

"I can't wait to see you in a bit, but more than that, I just can't wait for you to be my wife." My heart dances at his words. "Go get ready. I don't want you to be late now." I laugh.

"This is one day where I won't be late."

"Oh?"

"Yes. I might even be early."

He laughs.

"Grace? Early? Those are two words I've never heard together."

I smile despite myself."You offend me, Joe."

"You'll have to forgive me, love. It's just that you're not the earliest person to any event."

"You can't blame me, I'm still adapting to American time."

"Love, you've been in the US for over two decades now."

"Adapting takes time," I push, and he chuckles.

"You sure are taking your time then." I grin at his words. Silence falls between us again and I picture him on the other side of the phone. A yearning builds within me to see him, and even though we saw one another just yesterday, I miss him.

"Will you be there early, Joe?" My voice is hushed as if we're having a conversation for our ears only.

"Most likely . . . do you want to come earlier, Grace?" His words are quiet as well, and the conversation feels intimate.

"Yes, I'd like to see you," I say honestly.

"It won't take me long to get ready. I can be there in forty-five minutes," he says seriously. His words cause me to laugh softly.

"Joe, we don't need to be there that early. What will we do with the extra time?"

"I don't know, I just want to see my lady."

There's that warm feeling again.

"I want to see you as well, but it'll take time for the girls and I to get ready. So we'll have to wait a bit."

He grumbles lightly but accepts it. "If I could have it my way though, I'd see you as soon as yesterday."

"If you could have it your way, I'm sure we would have already been married far before yesterday."

"Darn right."

"I trust you," I say, smiling. He chuckles along before shooing me.

"Don't be late, Gracie."

"I won't, I promise."

"I'll hold you to that then."

"I'll let you hold me to that."

He chuckles again."You'll let me hold you to that?"

"Mhm."

"Why, woman, I don't think I've ever heard that before."

"Now you have."

"That's right," he says, and I stretch my hand out, almost imagining him right next to me. That longing to see him only grows stronger. "Go get ready, Gracie," he says again, as if knowing where my thoughts lie. Or rather, likely feeling what I'm feeling as well.

"Alright," I sit up. "I love you, Joe." It seems counterintuitive but I don't want to hang up just yet. Although if I don't, I won't be ready on time. Given the chance, we can easily spend hours together talking and simply being together.

"I love you too. I'll see you, love, Lord willing."

"Lord willing," I say, remembering that morning we spoke on the phone all those years ago when he woke up early from his nightmare. I smile, recalling how I felt there was more to say but I wasn't quite sure what it was. I think I just wanted to stay on the phone longer with him. That may have been when my feelings for Joe started to appear.

"Lord willing," he repeats, a smile in his voice. "See you, wifey."

I love that.

"Take care, hubby."

After a few beats of silence, and one more round of hushed I love yous, we finally end the call and I get up to get ready.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.5M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...