The M.D.C. Handbook

By VeeGraphics

How can I get the perfect cover for my book? What makes a good cover? How do I become a designer? Do I have w... More

intro
frequently asked questions UPDATED
thread evaluation: graphic stalkers
design etiquette
rants of the mdc: revisited
hq get a clue
so you want to be a designer
so you want to go on hiatus/quit
vee's protips
so you want to do drawn requests
the soapbox: defining art theft
the soapbox: mistakes young creators make

so you want a good cover

383 31 1
By VeeGraphics

Cooling down from my various rants, we're going to get back to the point of this book. So, you want a good cover. Where do you start? Who do you choose? What do all these threads mean? 

That's where I come in. Follow my tips and you're sure to find an amazing cover that will entice your readers and impress your friends. 

                1. Set aside at least 10 to 30 minutes to look for your cover maker. 

This is your book we're talking about. If you can't find the time to get a proper cover for it, then you obviously don't have the time to write it.

                2. Make sure you have ideas before you start searching for a cover. 

You will not get what you want unless you know what you want. Think about what you want your cover to look like. Get a rough idea or concept in your head. Use this when you're searching for a designer, and when you're filling out the necessary form. 

                3. Learn the lingo.

A solo means only one designer is working there, a duo/trio/quartet means there's 2, 3, or 4 designers working there (respectively). A group means many designers, perhaps even 20 or 30. None of these types are particularly better than the other, but it's sometimes good to have a wider spectrum of possible designers. Then, there's styles of covers that you should look out for. Minimalist means covers with simple vector/drawn images and solid colors. Manip is short for manipulation and it means covers that involve blending photos and textures together to create a unique scene. Simple means taking an existing photograph and making small adjustments to it. Decide which style you want before you starting looking for a cover.

Also, there are premades which are covers that the designer made for practice and thus are not currently being used by any book. If you want one, the designer will change the title and author's name, then give it back to you. Who knows, you might find a premade that fits your idea perfectly. 

Next, there's the terminology you'll see on the thread. Open means the designer(s) is accepting requests, while closed means the designer(s) is not accepting requests. Rules are requirements and general guidelines you should abide by when you're requesting. Examples/samples/portfolio is previous graphics your designer has made and usually comes in the form of a link. Click on the link and look through their work. The queue is a list of requests that need to be done. Your request should show up on the queue 24 hours after you request. There may be a VIP list on the thread (although they are going out of style), but you don't need to worry about that. However, if you see a blacklist or even a list of affiliates on the thread, GET OUT NOW because that person is definitely clinging to the past. A blacklist is a list of people who are not allowed to request, which is completely rude and now against the rules. 

                4. Know what threads to click on. 

Let's play a game! I'll show you a list of potential threads, and you need to decide whether they should be clicked on (YES) or whether they should be ignored (NO). You should choose to click on threads that look like they hold an air of professionalism, because it probably means mature designers and higher quality graphics. 

        BEGIN
        a. love yourself | group thread | open
        b. PROFESSIONAL DESIGNER HERE, MOSTLY BUMPS, COME IN, OPEN
        c. oblique // covers // closed
        d. FREE covers ;; NO pay ;; OPEN
        e. almost free covers - open
        f. flik's solo thread :: icons :: open
        g. cover duo [ o p e n ]
        h. Graphic Stalkers V46
        i. premade giveaway || open
        j. all night long ~ ketchup

        ANSWERS
        a. YES: simple titles with no gimmicks are always the best
        b. NO: no one here is a professional, those who claim to be are lying to compensate
        c. NO: do not request on closed threads
        d. MAYBE: most free covers are risky, but some are really good; look for other clues
        e. NO: there's no such thing as "almost free," it's a gimmick and you shouldn't give in to them
        f. NO: they only sell icons, you want a cover
        g. YES: short, sweet, and to the point is usually good
        h. NO: this thread and others are not for requests! 
        i. YES: browsing through premades can be fun, and you may find one you like
        j. NO: designers sometimes use "ketchup" to mean "closed" (to catch up on requests)

                5. This is NOT a one-and-done situation. 

Treat your cover-finding process as if you had a real manuscript and were really self-publishing. You shouldn't click on the first thread that says "covers" and start filling out their form. How can you know what else is out there? I suggest opening multiple threads in new tabs. I suggest clicking a later page once you're done with the first page, or refreshing a couple times. Read through each thread! Don't just look at their examples (which is obviously important), but read their rules and watch how they threat their customers and make sure you understand their form(s). If you're unsure of something, ask first and don't risk messing up the form or breaking a rule. We honestly don't mind!

If they state the payment required, be sure to read it. If your designer offers too much as payment, do not request from them. They're usually an amateur with no idea of how much their work should cost. Be wary of, "Give two comments that are 6+ lines long on my book, give my book a shoutout, and give me a dedication, and follow, and credit."

Last  but not least, make sure you DO NOT request at a thread that's closed. If it says "CLOSED" somewhere in the title or on the first post, don't fill out a form. This means your designer isn't accepting requests, and they may get annoyed if you try to request. 

                6. So you've filled out the form. 

Wait for your designer to accept you. If your designer takes longer than 48 hours to accept you, nudge them or cancel your request. Designers who waste your time are not worth your time. HOWEVER, do not pressure them before the 48 hours are up. They might be sleeping, or at school, or visiting Grandma. Give them a chance!

Kindly complete the payment while you wait for your cover to get done. Do not put this off!

Your cover can take anyway from 2 to 15 days to get done, depending on how many requests the designer has, how hard those requests are, and how busy they are. Ask your designer if they're still doing your cover if you see that they've been inactive for a few days, or if it's been longer than two weeks since you requested. After three weeks, give up and request somewhere else. 

However, don't forget to be kind and treat your designers with respect. They are giving you a service (cover making) in exchange for a service (follow, comment, or dedication etc), so you are NOT above them. (If you were giving them actual money, it's different.) So, don't act entitled. It will make the designer dislike you, and they may not try as hard on your cover.

                7. So, you've gotten your cover. 

Do you like it? Is it everything you hoped for? Truth is, even if you do follow these tips, you might not get the cover of your dreams. That's life. But, you still have to thank the designer, tell them whether or not you'll use it, and all that jazz. If you don't want to use it, tell them and they will make it a premade. It's really not that big of a deal. You don't want to know HOW many times a client claimed they would use my cover, but never did. That really ticks me off. Just tell us if you don't like it! 

If you like it, use the cover! Try to use it for at least two weeks. It's better if you use it for months or even forever. 

If you don't like it, repeat the process. If you have to repeat the process more than twice, it might mean your standards are too high. Loosen up and trust your designer. We're amateurs--we can't give you exactly what you want if what you want is a black-haired girl with one white glove on her left hand clutching a leather-bound book with a pentagram etched into it with a goat engulfed in flames in the background. We're not miracle workers, here. 

But, I hope you get the cover of your dreams! Hey, if any of you try out these tips and it works, let me know. Also, I'd love to hear about your requesting experiences; the good, the bad, and the ugly. 

Happy requesting!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 1.4K 50
𝐈𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 , 𝐀𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐲𝐚𝐡 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐧 𝟏𝟎𝐭𝐡 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞, 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐡...
26.6K 1.1K 34
Rihanna is a high school girl about to graduate when she meet the don will they live happily or will they argue all the time.........
105K 3.9K 22
فيصل بحده وعصبيه نطق: ان ماخذيتك وربيتك ماكون ولد محمد الوجد ببرود وعناد : ان مارفضتك ماكون بنت تركي !
32K 668 78
In which Kim Saena is in a groupchat with a bunch of idiots Or In which Bangchan finds himself inside a groupchat with a bunch of delusional fans ~~★...