Extra Company

By Juniperlives43

*Not completed just preventing wattpad from deleting it* Gandalf searches for someone who could prove useful... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
IMPORTANT
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 33

1.8K 64 8
By Juniperlives43

The townsfolk struggled to make a home in Dale, the goods Saharia had offered them began to dwindle quickly, some have even passed away during the night due to their wounds that were inflicted by the dragon. Voices of doubt began to spread around the people as Bard made his way through, seeming to be checking on everyone. "Bard, we don't have enough." A man spoke, looking to Bard, his eyes fading of hope.

"Do what you can Percy." Bard responded as he walked through another doorway and into another room. "The children, the wounded, and the women come first." He spoke, nodding to an older woman as the guards nodded as they continued distributing all that they had to the people. Bard then walks over to where Alfrid was leaning against the corner, "Morning Alfrid. What news from the night watch?" He questioned as Alfrid stirred, standing up.

"All quiet, sire." He started as he followed Bard towards the doors. "Not much to report. Nothing gets past me." He informed him before he came to a stop next to Bard, who scanned the area in front of him.

"Except an army of elves it seems." Bard stated as the elves stood up slightly straighter. Bard walked down the stairs slowly, moving towards the elves about to ask them why they were here, before he could speak, the elves parted ways for him to walk through. Bard pushed forward before coming face to face with an elf sitting on a large elk. Bard recognized the elf immediately, "My Lord Thranduil, we did not look to see you here?" Bard spoke with a confused expression on his features.

"I heard you needed aid." Thranduil spoke as he looked over as a large carriage drawn by horses entered the courtyard, the sound of their hooves hitting the pavement drew out the people as a newfound hope gleamed in their eyes. They all ran towards the carts as soon as they came to a stop, some of the previous guards jumping into the cart to pass it down to the people.

Bard looked up at the elf lord with hope and gratitude gleaming in his eyes, "You have saved us. I do not know how to thank you."

Thranduil simply looked down at him with a cold look, "Your gratitude is misplaced. I did not come on your behalf. I came to reclaim something of mine." He spoke, causing Bard to frown. Thranduil then gave the order to his guards as they all started marching towards the mountain.

Bard looked towards the mountain before looking up at Thranduil, "Wait! Please wait!" He called out as he followed after Thranduil. "You will go to war over a handful of gems?" Bard questioned with a confused look.

Thranduil looked over at him with a calm look, "The heirlooms of my people are not lightly forsaken." He spoke as he gave Bard a cold, judgemental look.

"What of Saharia? She wouldn't want this." Bard spoke, trying to reason with the woodland eleven king, whose anger only rage at the mention of the queen.

"What of her? She became my enemy the moment she took those lousy dwarves' side." Thranduil responded in a cold tone filled with anger, his nose wrinkling in disgust.

Bard let out a sad sigh, glancing down at the ground before an idea popped in his head as he looked up at the elven king, "We are both allies in this. My people also have a claim over the riches of the mountain. Let me speak to Thorin."

Thranduil raised a brow, "You would try to reason with a dwarf?" He spoke as if it was impossible or even unheard of.

"To avoid war?" Bard questioned as he met the eyes of the eleven king, "Yes."

Thorin and the others stood along the wall they had just finished up, making it out of rubble from the broken stone door Saharia burst through. "Not a bad night's work," One dwarf spoke as they admired their work about to go off and rest.

"Hail, Thorin, son of Thrain!" A familiar voice called out to the dwarves, they climbed up to the top of the wall, looking out to see hundreds of eleves, in the front was the eleven king Thranduil on top of his elk. Next to him was Bard, on top of a white horse. "We are glad to find you alive beyond hope." Bard spoke, warmth in his tone.

Thorin's eyes scanned over the golden army before looking back over at Bard, "Why do you come to the gates of the King under the Mountain armed for war?" He questioned, looking at Bard with a suspicious gaze.

"Why does the King under the Mountain fence himself in? Like a robber in his hole." Bard countered as he met eyes with Thorin.

"Perhaps it is because I am expecting to be robbed!" Thorin responded, his voice raising slightly as he seemed to be gesturing to the army that waited behind Bard with his words. Distrust decorated the eyes of the dwarves, all uncertain of their visitors' intentions.

"My lord ..." Bard began as he moved his horse forward a few paces to keep Thorin's eyes on him. "We have not come to rob you, but seek fair settlement." Bard continued before he asked, "Will you not speak with me?"

Thorin seemed to think for a moment before turning around, walking down the steps of the wall. Bard slid off his horse, walking across the stone bridge towards the built wall. He jumped slightly as a raven cawed loudly, flying out of the mountain and up to the air. Bard then stopped in front of a diamond hole created by how the stones were stacked.

Thorin walked into view, however he didn't meet Bard's eyes as he spoke, "I am listening."

Bard placed his hand against the wall, leaning slightly closer to the hole as he began to speak, "On behalf of the people of Lake Town, I ask you to honor your pledge." Thorin glanced over at Bard. "A share of the treasure so they might rebuild their lives." As soon as those words left Bard's mouth Thorin snapped his head over to look at him, anger dancing in his blue eyes.

"I will not treat any man while an armed host lies before my door." Thorin growled as he took a step before the hole.

"That armed host will attack this mountain if we do not come to terms." Bard tried to reason, his eyes pleading for Thorin to give in and honor his word.

"Your threats do not sway me." Thorin claimed as he looked away before looking back at Bard slowly as he began to speak.

"What of your conscience?" Bard questioned, as Thorin looked away once more in thought. "Does it not tell you our cause is just?" Bard questioned further, trying to sway Thorin. "My people offered you help. And in return, you brought upon them only ruin and death."

Thorin snapped once those words left Bards mouth, "When did Lake Town come to our aid but before the promise of rich award?" Thorin questioned, anger dancing in his eyes once more.

"A bargain was struck!"

"A bargain?" Thorin countered, his brows contorted. "What choice did we have but to barter our birthright for blankets and food? To ransom our future in exchange for our freedom? You call that a fair trade?" Thorin ranted, his tone growing aggressive as Bard himself looked away, knowing deep down Thorin was right in a way. "Bard the Dragon Slayer, why should I honor such terms?" Bard snapped his head up once that title left Thorin's lips.

"You know as well as I do, I don't deserve that title. Helped yes but not slay. She did, the same person who promised me you would honor your word." Bard spoke as his gaze hardened, "Does that mean nothing?"

Thorin moved away from the hole, pressing his back against the wall, looking at his company as he came to his answer, "Begone! Ere our arrows fly!" Thorin shouted from where he laid his back against the wall. Bard slammed his fist against the wall in agitation and anger before turning around, walking back towards the elves.

Thorin then nodded to the dwarves as they went off straight to work while Bilbo ran up to Thorin, "What are you doing? You cannot go to war." Bilbo stated.

"This does not concern you." Thorin responded as he stopped by Bilbo's side.

Bilbo looked flabbergasted as he looked up at Thorin,"Excuse me, but in case you haven't noticed, there is an army of elves out there. Not to mention hundreds of angry fishermen." Bilbo tried to reason with the dwarven king, "We are in fact outnumbered."

A smirk decorated Thorin's face as a glint shone in his eyes, "Not for much longer."

"What does that mean?" Bilbo questioned, looking at Thorin confused.

"It means, Master Baggins. You should never underestimate dwarves." Thorin spoke as he looked away from Bilbo and out towards the inside of the mountain, "We have reclaimed Erebor. Now we defend it."

Bard glanced back to the mountain one last time before letting out a sigh as he climbed up onto his white horse, "He will give us nothing."

"Such a pity." Thranduil spoke, however his tone showed he wasn't the least bit surprised by this outcome, in fact he expected it. "Still ... you tried." He added as he turned his elk around nodding to the elves as they began to set up the camp to rest and prepare for the coming battle.

"I do not understand?" Bard questioned out loud as he looked to the mountain once more. "Why? Why would he risk war?" He questioned further.

"It is fruitless to reason with them." Thranduil stated as he led his Elk away from the bridge, Bard following right behind. "They understand only one thing." The elf spoke as he pulled his blade out of its seathe, watching the blade gleam in the sunlight. "We attack at dawn. Are you with us?" Thranduil questioned as he looked over at Bard.

The man thinked for a moment before replying, "Aye."

"Master Baggins!" Thorin called out as the small hobbit looked over at Thorin as he rounded the corner, seeing him dressed in armor as the others behind him got ready for battle. Thorin gestured for Bilbo to come closer, "Come here." Bilbo walked up to the dwarven king who was holding something in his hand. Thorin opened the shirt-like object that was in his hands, "Put it on." He spoke as Bilbo lifted his hands as Thorin had allowed Bilbo to slip it over, the metal material looking just a bit too big for him. "This vest is of silver steel. Mithril, it was called by my forebears. No blade can pierce it." He informed the small hobbit that looked down at his new gift.

Bilbo let out a chuckle as he looked back up at Thorin then towards the others that were now staring at the two, some held smiles on their faces, "I look absurd. I'm not a warrior, I'm a hobbit." He stated with a small smile.

Thorin smiled softly, the gleam in his eyes familiar to Bilbo as the old Thorin before the mountain, "It is a gift. A token of our friendship." He spoke as he placed a hand on Bilbo's shoulder, the two exchanging smiles as the company went back to preparing. "True friends are hard to come by." Thorin said all of a sudden, causing Bilbo to look at him confused as Thorin's grip on his shoulder tightened as he dragged him a bit ways away from the others, close to a pillar. "I have been blind ... but now I begin to see." Thorin spoke in a hushed whisper. "I have been betrayed."

Bilbo felt fear pulse through him but only let his confusion show, maybe he doesn't mean what he thinks he means, "Betrayed?" Bilbo questioned.

"The arkenstone." Thorin started, as he glanced towards the rest of the company. "One of them has taken it. One of them is false." He spoke as his eyes hardened into a glare, a darkness taking his gaze.

Bilbo let out a slight sigh of relief before realizing what Thorin was saying, he doesn't trust his own kin? "Thorin ... the quest is fulfilled, you've won the mountain. Is that not enough?" Bilbo questioned the dwarf who looked back over at him.

"Betrayed by my own kin." Thorin spoke darkly, as if he didn't hear a word Bilbo said, greed and darkness covering his expressions.

Bilbo noticed this, however he continued talking bringing up a different subject, "Now uh ... you made a promise to the people of Lake Town. Now is this treasure really worth more than your honor?" Bilbo questioned hoping to get through to Thorin. "Our honor Thorin? Saharia and I were also there." Bilbo spoke gesturing to the location where the mountain wolf was sleeping away, healing her wounds. "We gave our word." Bilbo claimed as he let his hand fall to his side.

"For that I am grateful." Thorin responded with a small smile. "It was nobly dont, but the treasure ... does not belong ... to the people of Lake Town." Thorin's words begin to grow dark, each word he spoke sounded like the dragon's to Bilbo, "This gold ... is ours. And our alone. By my life.." Thorin took a step back as he spoke, "I will not part ... with a single coin. Not ... one ... piece of it." He stopped walking just as he got on the other side where the dwarves marched in between the two of them, each one stone face none glancing at either Thorin or Bilbo.

Bilbo left the dwarves, saying goodnight to each one as he changed direction heading towards where Saharia laid, "I don't know what to do Saharia." Bilbo spoke as he paced in front of her. "Thorin is beginning to doubt his own kin, he basically declared war of elves and man of Lake Town." Bilbo chuckled as he sat down, leaning up against her neck, feeling every breath she takes. "He's gone, lost to greed. Dragon sickness is what Balin calls it, he's engulfed by it." Bilbo explained as he took the arkenstone from his inside pocket, looking at it in his hands. "I'm not going to give it to him." He spoke with a slight sniffle, before an idea popped in his head. "I'm not going to give it to them ... they will." Bilbo placed the stone back into his pockets before scurrying off leaving the room where Saharia laid. A small rumble left her throat as her head moved slightly, her tail coming closer to her body before her body became still once more.

Hello again ladies and gentlemen and nonbinary readers. I am sorry I haven't updated in awhile, school had taken most of my time and I didn't feel like writing due to being in college English for the semester. I also been kept busy due to family and a new relationship so updates will be a bit slow throughout Christmas break. But I am still working on the story. Again I apologize for the delay and lack of content. Happy Holidays everyone! Hope everyone has a good break!  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.9K 1.3K 25
A Bofur X You romance following The Hobbit. I will try and update as much as I can. ^_^ please Read, Vote, Comment! Thank you!!!! I will try to keep...
4.5K 82 20
I am sure you have all read or watch the Hobbit. There are 13 dwarves, 1 hobbit and a wizard on a journey to reclaim a mountain. Which is the dwarves...
23.6K 469 15
"I am not from a race that your knowledge knows of." Everyone shared confused glances. "It couldn't be." Balin spoke, slightly standing up. ~ You, Te...
278 24 4
Several months after the company of Thorin Oakenshield reclaimed their homeland, the Bagginses come home to Erebor. Fili trains to be the next King U...