A Storm of Flames and Deceit

Od yourlocalsag

Nephele Speirling is the only daughter of Hybern's Grand General, the most powerful man on the isle and the s... Viac

Prologue
I. Full
II. Easy Trade
III. Corruption
IV. Satisfied
V. Quite the Impression
VI. Top of the World
VII. I Hope I'm Right
VIII. Bon Voyage
IX. Just the Mystery
X. Bitterly
XI. Death is a Woman
XII. Sunnier
XIII. Good Taste
Intermission
XIIV. Head in the Clouds
XIV. Contingency
XV. Instinct and Desire
XVI. Pull Me In
XVII. Liberation
XVIII. Only Snow
XIX. Put It On My Tab
XX. You Can't Script This
XXI. Walk Across the Sky
XXII. Grounded in Reality
XXIII. Electrical Fire
XXIV. With What Is Unsaid
XXV. On Fire For You
XXVI. There Are Lights
XXVII. Splitting
XXVIII. Queen Mongering
XXIX. Thawed
Intetmission
XXX. Oasis
XXXI. I Refuse
XXXII. Horizon
XXXIII. Reversion
XXXIV. Get Even
XXXV. I'm Not Afraid of the Fight
XXXVI. Sweeter Tomorrow
XXXVII. Smile Like a Saint
XXXVIII. True Magic
XXXIX. Tranquility
XXXX. Altared
XXXXI. Of Course, It Was an Act
XXXXII. Home
XXXXIII. Substantiation
XXXXIV. When the Day Comes
XXXXV. A Bit of Truth
XXXXVI. Sweet as Poison
XXXXVII. Compromise
XXXXVIII. Sweet Dreams
XXXXIX. Burn the Throne
XXXXX. Sooner
XXXXXI. Locking Me Out
Intermission
Part II
Prologue
1. Blind Sided
2. As Good A Time As Any
3. In a Heartbeat
4. More Than Just a Bond
5. Separation Anxiety
6. Unstoppable
7. Sweeping Silence
8. In Ordinance
9. Under the Blood Moon
10. You're the Sun
11. Even When I Want to Hate You
12. Such Conversation
13. Annotations
14. You Cannot Force the Stars to Align
15. A Weak Woman
16. Kid in Love
17. Zoned Out
18. From the Commotion
19. Albeit Passionate
20. As We March On
21. A Fighting Chance
22. Lose This Crowd
23. The Role
24. Good Deeds
25. Bad Things
26. Payment Enough
27. To Conquer
28. Eternal Flame
29. Shackled
30. Not Caring
31. Like We'll Never Have Sex
32. Damned Day
33. Painless
34. There Was An Oracle
35. Save For Eternity
36. The Price
37. Counting Down the Days
39. Blind Sided
40. Prints
41. Skull Crushing
42. Sympathies
43. Past Deceit
44. Firestorm
45. My Nephele
46. Clear
47. Lightning Itself
48. Storm Inside
49. Heart of Diamond
50. Beauty in Strength
Aesthetics Check
51. Mannerless
52. Bespelled
53. Lightning Bugs
54. In Vain
55. Lawless Island
56. Branded
57. Between the Three of Us
58. Fire and Rain
59. Mud Washes Away
60. Long Live
Epilogue
Ending Note

38. Gilded Goodnight

575 29 12
Od yourlocalsag

Eris

"How could you?" Cressida berates Nephele, properly mortified that Neph didn't share her birthday with anyone until the last minute.

"How could I..." Neph echoes, furrowing her brow up at me.

"You know what you did," I tell her in agreement with her best friend, and Neph rolls her eyes.

"You all know now," she says, shrugging grandly. "Let's just move on with it."

"I didn't winnow here to move on with it," Tarquin huffs a laugh. "I winnowed here to get drunk off my ass for your special day."

"I like the sound of that," she grabs my arm. "Let's go."

"Hold on just a minute," I interject. "Lucien should be on his way here."

"Oh, yes," Tarquin pipes in, leaning quite contentedly against the brick exterior of the bar. "Let's wait for Lucien then."

Cressida rolls her eyes. "Get a grip, 'Quin," she tells him sternly. As if summoned, Lucien winnows in, Tamlin with him, Cressida eating her words.

Neph groans, not expecting Tamlin. He must've been with Lucien earlier when I wrote to him. "What is it? Have you kidnapped my grandfather now?"

Tamlin puts his hands up defensively. "I come in peace," he replies. "And Lucien told me it was your birthday."

"Lucien has a big mouth," Neph rolls her eyes, giving Tamlin a conceding nudge.

"Does he?" Tarquin mutters under his breath. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who hears him.

"I'll let that comment slide because it is your birthday," Lucien replies cordially. "I was promised we'd be bar hopping."

...

Sometimes, I feel so thankful for Cressida. Nephele had told me how she always wanted sisters growing up, and the best I could ever give was my half brother. Not that I didn't appreciate Lucien's place in her life either. I suppose it's some sort of default, I guess. That urge that constantly compels me to be sure that her life is... full. Satisfying.

Cressida and Neph are across the bar though, exchanging secrets and stories, glancing at me every few seconds before they both break into giggles. I stay by Tarquin, my interest peaking as he watches Lucien. I don't think it's anywhere close to love how he wants my brother. I think Tarquin just sees a powerful man and that attracts him. He just wants what he can't have which is probably why he wanted Feyre so badly that once, even for those fleeting few days when it should've been so clear to him that she was unavailable.

I do wonder why Lucien hasn't done anything. Tarquin, as far as men go, isn't far off his type, big and- let's face it- a bit dumb. A high lord, nonetheless. I hadn't thought he was hung up on Elain, but I wonder...

"Do you think they were ever together?" Tarquin asks me. It takes me a moment to realize he's talking about Tamlin and Lucien.

I shrug. "It wouldn't surprise me if there was a drunken evening," I reply, genuinely speculating. "It would surprise me if it happened more than once though." Tamlin, for the most part, seemed to prefer women, but centuries of eternity is enough for anyone to get curious, especially on good wine.

"Hm," he murmurs absently. "You know, I've never had to try so hard to get a lover in my life?"

I laugh under my breath. "Lucien is anything but oblivious, Tarquin. He likes games," I remind him. He has probably a century on Tarquin anyway, a century of playing games.

He smirks, draining his drink. "And maybe I like being played. Maybe, it's time I start playing games of my own," he says, striding to the floor before introducing himself to some girl, inviting her to dance. I'm familiar with the games, but I certainly don't miss them. I used to be... it doesn't matter. I've never been tempted to play games with Nephele, couldn't stand it. And now, I'm glad of the comfort I have in her, something so lasting and fulfilling.

Constant.

I didn't bother with glamouring us tonight. The bar is already chaos. Even if we are recognized, it's not as if it will disrupt the atmosphere. Everyone seems too drunk to care anyway. In fact, no one even dares approach me as I sit at the bar alone, watching Nephele appreciatively as she pulls Cressida to the floor, dancing like a fool.

There's no rhythm as she sways in her slinky, silver dress, only the beat of my heart matching with her ever twirl. She catches my eyes, knowing precisely what she's doing to me as she smiles, biting onto her lip with that grin.

I'm drawn to her like a creature draws to flame, weaving through the dance until I reach her, settling my hands on her hips. She smiles, hooking her arms around my neck, stars in her gray eyes. "I'm still thinking about earlier," she murmurs, getting up on her toes to whisper in my eyes hotly. "I still feel it."

I don't consciously decide to slide my hands lower on her backside- it just happens. "Me too," I reply. "I never stop... feeling it."

She smirks, pressing a fleeting kiss against my throat. "You know we have a meeting with the dukes tomorrow," she reminds me softly. "We better take it easy."

I raise a brow. "I didn't think I would have to be the one to tell you not to talk about work while we're having fun."

She rolls her eyes. "We haven't done anything today since you found out it was my birthday," she reminds me crisply. "What if I'm not prepared to meet with the Dukes? You know the court inside and out, but I'm an outsider. I don't want them to question my merit as High Lady-"

"They won't," I assure her, kissing the inside of her arm. "The land itself declared its allegiance to us. They can't reasonably argue with that."

Nephele nods, still chewing her lip warily. "Fine," she breathes out. "But we're going home by midnight, and I'm not drinking anything."

"Anything you want, Birthday Girl," I smile, pulling her closer.

...

I don't quite remember how I got into this scenario, matching Tarquin shot for shot, the bar cheering around us, but I think I'm getting a bit too drunk to care anyway. I know it's a losing battle. I'd like to think my tolerance is pretty high, but Tarquin is a good bit bigger than me, the alcohol burning through his system slower than mine, my hot blood.

I do recall everyone but Neph lining up for shots, sticking to her vow of sobriety for the night. I do recall Cressida, the compliment to her cousin, tiny and light-weighted, drawing out after two rounds. Tamlin followed after three, saying he didn't care to push it considering he was a "beast" when he got was drunk. Hard to say if he was joking about that or if he only wanted to go dance with Cressida.

Lucien followed maybe two rounds after when Tarquin had drunkenly grabbed that girl he had been dancing with and kissed her heavily. Maybe Tarquin could play games of his own after all...

Now, I'm looking at Nephele as she fuses over me, straightening my shirt where it has come unbuttoned. She looks like one of those paintings of beautiful women that they hang in estates, paintings hung to inspire people by their beauty, their pervasive beauty.

"What?" She asks, blinking over at me.

A smile spreads across my face. "You're really pretty," I answer, cradling her neck in my hands. She rolls her eyes dismissively.

"And you're really drunk," she wraps my arm around her shoulders, pulling me up from my barstool. "Let's go home."

"And you always smell so good," I ramble mindlessly as we walk, groaning under my breath. "And don't even get me started on how you taste-"

"Okay," she interrupts, blushing, turning to our friends. From what I can tell, Tarquin is ordering another round, challenging Lucien to keep up, and Tamlin is watching Cressida where she dances in the center of the floor, a dizzied smile on her face. "We're gonna head home, but thank you all for coming."

"Of course," Lucien nods. "Happy Birthday."

"Will someone let Cressida know I left and make sure she gets home okay?" Neph adds.

"Yes," Tarquin and Tamlin say at the same time, Tarquin cutting Tamlin a suspicious look that makes him squirm. I snort.

"Right," Nephele says, smirking. "Anyway. Let's keep moving before you throw up on my new dress."

"Don't worry, Sweetheart," I promise her as we walk. "I'm not going to throw up on you. I know you would divorce me."

She snorts, not even denying it. "You're going to be so hungover tomorrow," she taunts as we walk out of the bar. The night air is already a relief on my hot skin.

"I'm immune to hangovers," I wink over at her. "Never had one in my life."

She rolls her eyes. "I'm sure," she says, not quite believing me. "Hold onto me. I'm gonna winnow us back."

I wrap my arm firmly around her waist, fighting the urge to tell everyone on this crowded street how lovely my wife is. It's a pointless impulse. They're not blind.

She winnows us back to the palace, straight into our bedroom, stepping to face me. "And before you get any ideas," she starts, beginning to unbutton my shirt. "I'm not fucking you when you're this drunk. I'm just helping you get ready for bed."

I pout. "You're not?"

"Nope," she smirks, kissing my cheek as she helps me shrug my shirt off. "Wasn't earlier enough for you?"

"Not nearly," I answer. "It's like I can't get enough of you. Does that make sense?"

She chuckles. "Weirdly, yes," she answers turning around. "Think you can handle a zipper?"

I scoff. "I'm not that drunk, you know," I reply, unzipping her. "And I'm never too drunk to take off your clothes."

She chuckles. "Are you sure? You're swaying a bit," she smirks over her shoulder as the dress drops to the floor, a pool of silver.

"I still hear the music," I explain. "Don't you?"

She rolls her eyes, slipping my discarded shirt over her body, buttoning it once at the center. "Come on. Let's get you into bed," she laughs, pushing me onto the mattress. I stare up at her, still dazzled. She looks gilded, sparking in the faint candle light, wearing my shirt. "You're really pretty."

"So you keep telling me," she snorts, blowing out the candle, casting herself in silvered moonlight from the windows. "Go to bed, Baby."

She slips into bed beside me, letting me snake my arm over her waist, pulling her closer as I settle into the allure of lavender scented sleep. "I love you," I murmur, content as all hell, nuzzling into her neck.

"I love you too," she replies. "Now goodnight. Leave me alone. Get some rest."

I chuckle, obeying.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

10.1K 295 20
Azriel X Scarlett Vanserra (Eris' Eldest Daughter). 18+ Spiciness and a bit of a slow burn!!!! What happens when your High Lord and Lady agree to te...
72.5K 2.9K 96
She sent as much love as she dared, hoping he wouldn't feel it, praying he wouldn't link it to her. But just for that one second, she let herself lov...
576 26 13
Khione, the Winter Court's icy emissary, is as unyielding as the frozen lands she calls home. But beneath her icy facade lies a past she cannot escap...
83.1K 3K 25
Auroria of House Vanserra has much more in common with Azriel, the Spymaster of the Night Court, than she could have thought - than either of them wo...