When I Met You

By killerbeanqxeen

"Stop," I muttered, my voice strained with emotion. He stepped forward, his expression intense, but I held my... More

I N T R O
Chapter One
Chapter Three

Chapter Two

32 2 0
By killerbeanqxeen

"Break a leg sweetie." I waved my parents goodbye as I made my way down the leaf-littered stone pavement. Through the corner of my eye I didn't miss the look of concern on my mom's face.

Sure we had 'baggage' but it was only right for us to move on. This is the most stable I've ever felt in a long while and I wasn't about to let some insecure thoughts ruin my life.

Besides... He can't get to us now, he's out of the picture.

With a screech the old coaster bus halted and I paused before getting in to flash them my most reassuring smile.

Dad seemed to be the only one convinced contrasting the look of deep thought next to mom. He gave her a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder as he returned a warm smile.

"Morning, " I mumbled before taking a seat. I found the little effort in replies comforting as I quickly sunk into some music, effectively distracting myself from the anxiety that crept in from my reality.

One that seemed impossible to suppress.

***

The ride was quite normal and I made it to the large glass corporate giant in record time. I really enjoyed being early, the slight sting of the cold morning found it's way to my pale skin through all three layers of clothes. I always felt the cold was necessary for success.

I drew my hands into my pockets as I took in the sight of the familiar blue glass sky scraper. Here goes.

Past the meticulously cleaned revolving doors were the buzzing of the reception area, it made the whole building feel alive, a breath of fresh air--normalcy.

"Welcome to Lee and Willis enterprises, may I take your coat m'lady?" I quickly complied, shrugging off my coat and mouthing a quick thank you.

I made my way to the perky brunette receptionist, her bright brown eyes politely welcoming me.

"Miss Franco, welcome, based on what I know, you're already familiar with the company. I expect you to conduct yourself accordingly. " she gave a tight lipped smile that didn't quite match her eyes this time. She also directed me to the fourth floor, briefly filled me in on where to go and what to expect.

"Mr. Stanley is quite short fused, so please stay on his good side." I nodded and thanked her before leaving.

I streamed into the elevator with a cluster of old suits all buried into some device, barely noticing the red head behind them.

This is perfect I thought.

They all parted but one, finally the elevator doors stopped on the fourth floor, the doors slid open which felt like an eternity. I took a deep breath in as my eyes landed on the mundane set up of the office. Soulless gray carpets with a splash of plain white cubicles all made to follow a line which lead to a large wooden encapsulated glass door.

The frosted kind, so much for workplace transparency. Very much gave 'soul-sucking'."Today is going to go great," I told myself. A lie.

"Ahem, " the short clean shaven old man grabbed my attention. His dark brown almond shaped eyes narrowed in curiosity.

"Good morning, "

"Good morning dear, you're here for that assistant position right?"

"Um sure?" He eyed me sharply, seemingly unpleased with my answer.

"Very well then, " he scoffed as if ridiculing me.

Should I be offended or worried?

"Right this way. " he led me straight to a small office way across the room from the most prominent one. It had a small white plate hanging from its wooden door, though this time with the glass see through.

"This is Mr. Stanley's office firstly, here you'll be put through the wringer to test if you have a chance to work alongside him. "

"Okay." I bit down on my bottom lip, processing everything that could go wrong.

"Psst...what is she doing? " I heard giggling within an earshot behind me. I turned to see two employees gossiping between themselves. I just got here and there's already gossip, how typical.

"I dunno, but I didn't peg the red head as the dumb one---"

"Maybe you both should apply for a pay raise, since you're going above and beyond now aren't you?"

Instantaneous silence. Almost unnatural even.

I gave the old suit a nod to continue. "Right, so those will be your coworkers and that's about it, you're a good girl and you're familiar. "

"I guess... , " I sighed.

"Don't be a stranger, make friends and ask for help when needed. " he slowly backed away from me.

"Good luck!" he sarcastically threw a fist into the air and left. I just stood there in complete awkwardness and by the looks of it it's not even close to lunch time so...

I haven't the slightest clue about what I should be doing. I awkwardly check my watch again and decide to take a seat in an empty cubicle on the far left, away from my 'coworkers'.

"Hey! " I hear someone say lowly. I turn next to me to find a guy not too far from my age signaling to me. His thick dark brows gestured to Mr. Stanley's office. I furrowed my brows in confusion. "Wh--"

The door of Mr. Stanley's office is flung open and out came a very miserable young girl. She seemed a little older than I, a blonde, a really good-looking one. She was bawling her eyes out, her body arched in a way that made her appear small as she held her hand over her face. Very loud sobs escaped her lips.

"Next!"  I heard a thundering that seemed to make the ground shake a little. If not then I.

I swallowed harshly, briefly collecting myself.

Time seemed to freeze as I walked down the hallway for what felt like forever and the clattering of my heals on the bland floors gave a sense of what I was about.

Not only was it one my most expensive, but one of the most ridiculously loud pairs. My beige Jimmy choos.

Time resumed normally as I entered his office, a new stiffening kind of cold falling over me.

"Don't you ever let a fucking mistake like that happen again!" He growled, slamming the phone down with a disturbing bang, that made me jump a little. I took in a quiet breath. Happy thoughts.

He couldn't be referring to that blonde just now right?

The monster of a man had his bulky hands brought up to his chin in a pondering manner, his sharp green eyes shooting right through me. They suddenly narrowed, oddly putting me into a slight panic.

His eyes diverged to the view behind me and I quickly caught on, closing the door. I swallowed and took a seat directly in front him.

He tore his gaze away from me briefly and not long after I heard the ruffling of papers.

"Miss Franco... " he held my file in one and and his other hand lightly stroked the stubble on his chin. The room became lighter as the sun streamed in more intentionally through the blinders. It was because of this I realized how his veins bulged through his olive-tanned skin.

"Yes sir, " I quietly responded.

"You don't have much experience or much qualification here either, what makes you think I'd hire someone like you?" His green eyes transformed into something poisonous.

My eyes widened in shock as my brain began short circuiting. Why would he hire me?

I swallowed as I attempted to pull my thoughts together.

"Well, I am a very reliable person, I mind my own business and--

"There's more?" He narrowed his eyes at me, his body seemed alot more tensed. I couldn't quite miss the sarcasm in his tone.

I was now stuck.

"Look, Miss Franco, I've got my whole day filled with back to back meetings and I'm a very impatient man." He clenched his jaws.

Think. "Sir i--"

"Out." He mumbled quietly.

What?

"Sir I can be on call whenever, I can do holidays and special occasions," I rambled on--it wasn't until it slipped out I caught onto myself.

The room fell silent. A new tension arrising between us. He tore his eyes from me and I could see his jaw was still visibly clenched. Even more so.

"Do you need a fucking security escort?" He roared which caused my breath to hitch. My eyes began to sting with fresh tears that threatened to fall.

With that I slowly stood up, my dignity shattered into a million pieces.

So much for a great day.

***

A/N:

If you liked this chapter, you can vote if you'd like :-)

Hope y'all enjoyed!

-killerbeanqxeen

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

146K 6.4K 28
The Sokolov brothers are everything most girls want. Intimidating, tall, broody, they are everything to lust after. Not that they... particularly car...
580K 61.7K 25
في وسط دهليز معتم يولد شخصًا قاتم قوي جبارً بارد يوجد بداخل قلبهُ شرارةًُ مُنيرة هل ستصبح الشرارة نارًا تحرق الجميع أم ستبرد وتنطفئ ماذا لو تلون الأ...
193K 13.9K 19
"YOU ARE MINE TO KEEP OR TO KILL" ~~~ Kiaan and Izna are like completely two different poles. They both belong to two different RIVAL FAMILIES. It's...
3.4M 143K 60
The story of Abeer Singh Rathore and Chandni Sharma continue.............. when Destiny bond two strangers in holy bond accidentally ❣️ Cover credit...