A Pact With The Prince | Brid...

By WildChild1331

[Draft 1 of Lady Whistledown's Unpublished Papers] Dear Reader, "Egredere Audacter Et Fideliter "~ Go Out Bol... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Author's Note
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Epilogue

Chapter Ten

4.5K 145 27
By WildChild1331

The next dance was a waltz. Diana decided as she faced him, it was the best and worst dance to have with him. On one hand, it gave them an opportunity to discuss uninterrupted. On the other, it all felt much too intimate as it felt like he could see all her secrets. When the music started, his large hand which mysteriously did not have his white gloves, enveloped hers. Diana straightened her spine as they began to dance, reminding herself of the deal that needed to be made. 

"Lionesses of London?" Prince Friedrich inquired amused, Diana knew he was a good dancer but it was quite something else experiencing it first hand in his arms. 

"That is what they are known for." Diana replied. "You surely must have experienced it with Lady Danbury." 

"I have indeed and in front of my aunt no less who left me to be feasted on with her sharp words." he grinned. "But your mother, she is quite subtle and I can see a bit of her in you."

"Believe me, I'm not as subtle as her." Diana laughed. "But I must congratulate you, now you can heartily say you survived both my mother and Lady Danbury by charming your way out before they can unleash their wit." 

Prince Friedrich laughed as they danced through the room. Diana felt a strange sensation of being alone in the room despite the many other couples around them. The candlelights flickered lazily, everything around them glowing, and the music that wrapped around them fit perfectly like a dream. 

"I have never met such formidable creatures even at times of war." he said amused. "It gave me the sense that I was spared mercifully."

"Oh, don't worry they are biding their time." Diana quipped.

"I am up for the challenge now that I know I have quite the ally by my side. I think together we could withstand them, like the King and Queen of Razia." he smirked for a brief moment revealing mischievousness that layered below. Diana felt her heart stutter, the logical side to her reminding her it's just an infatuation and this must be his brand of flirting.

"Now, let's discuss this business." he said as he moved her about the room drawing her from her thoughts. "I thought of little else these past few days, you left me with quite a mystery."

"I apologize, but I wanted to make sure it was throughout well before I initiated it." Diana felt him draw her closer, as she lowered her voice briefly pausing to clear her throat. 

"You have a Lady Whistledown issue correct?" Diana murmured. "Where the ton believes you still in love with the Duchess of Hastings, effectively scaring off any worthwhile prospects leaving you only ones interested in your crown."

Prince Friedrich grimaced a brief moment before recovering. 

"I'm sorry." she exclaimed quickly, horrified. "See, I am not subtle at all!" 

"No no! Its not your fault, it's true and sometimes the truth needs to be said out loud." he gripped her hand gently in assurance letting her continue.

"Well, I have an issue as well." Diana revealed watching him carefully, "I am not quite ready to marry."

"No?" he asked curiously, Diana swore she saw disappointment for a brief moment. 

"I have quite a desire to see the world and what it has to offer before I'm settled down in the country somewhere surrounded by babies and callings cards." Diana sighed knowing she was sounding mad, it was a painful thought to her. While it would do for some women, her soul could not bear to be so subdued quite yet.

"So, I brokered a deal with my mother and much to my surprise. She will allow me to go with my brother Dominic on his tour for while. We will start on the continent and go wherever we might feel like." Diana smiled. "But I must have two proposals which I will thoroughly reject and then be on my way."

"So...you want me to propose for you to reject?" the Prince frowned, his relaxed nature now gone.

"Dear heavens no!" Diana replied quickly wide-eyed. "I would not want to humiliate you anyway. You deserve someone who will know and adore you so well, they will say yes before you even ask." Diana couldn't help but feel this did not satisfy him, he seemed to have a look of longing of such a person. 

"Please tell me how you would have this play out." he asked patiently.

"I will pursue you, society will be so distracted and I will use the power of gossip on how much of an excellent Prince you are and how you are were never really in love with the Duchess of Hastings. After my interactions with you, then you can thoroughly reject me and I can say he is looking for a more worthy Princess." Prince Friedrich was silent but she could his mind working out something, giving her hope.

"What about you? How will this earn proposals?" he asked.

"Someone will be there to pick up the pieces, especially a damsel in distress to take advantage of my delicate state when we become friends instead." the Prince frowned at this. "I don't know if getting proposals of such a gentleman who only seeks to take advantage would be of worthy of you."

"I know it sounds crude but that is the way it is, is it not? Our connection, our positions and value dictated by peers can be so restrictive, why not take advantage of the beast we know to finally have things work out in our favor?" Diana realized she was speaking passionately again, almost forgetting they were dancing.

Prince Friedrich didn't respond but seemed to see her in a way that felt too much. "You are...something." he replied finally. Diana blushed wondering if he thought her mad and regrets ever running into her.

"I understand if this is something that could be too much, it is delicate and shoddy at best but you need to win a Princess worthy of you and I need two proposals to reject." Diana concluded determined.

"Why not continue as you are, you've already danced and won the favor the gentlemen you were with?" he said stiffly. "They already seemed like they wanted to propose then and there.

"Nonsense, besides courting will take too long, I need this before the end of the season." Diana replied.

Again the Prince was silent in thought and Diana became all too aware again of him holding her close, his warm fingers barely gracing the exposed skin of her back.

Finally, he spoke, "I will assist you in this strange adventure, since I accidentally always impede on them anyways, but I will find two men to propose to you. I do not like the idea of someone trying to take advantage of you when you are rejected even if you plan to turn them down. As sharp as your mother, she will see through that and it could turn out badly for you if they are unpredictable." he said looking down at her.

Diana looked up in wonder it was an unexpected turn, "Truly? Can you find two gentlemen that don't mind being rejected?"

"Of course, especially if it will be to their advantage," he replied mysteriously with a smirk.

"Then you will agree to this? Let me pursue you and let us be seen in public to show that you are ready for new love which will hopefully usher in someone special for you." Diana said. 

"I will go on this venture but you must promise me something." he finally smiled at her.

"Of course." Diana's heart thumped in excitement.

"You must call me Freddie." he grinned. 

"Freddie?" she tried out amused. Diana decided it suited him. 

"Just like that." he said softly gazing down at her. Diana forgot to breathe with that look, she tried giving him her sternest look to hide the effect he was giving her, trying to find her footing again. 

"You can call me Diana, but I must also ask something of you yet again." Prince Friedrich chuckled, "Diana, at this point you can ask me anything."

Diana bit her lip, it sounded all too pleasant when he said her Christian name, resolute she steeled herself for the next part. 

"We must remind ourselves.... no matter what we are just friends, we cannot have this go wrong Freddie, there are.... too many variables and I would hate for you to miss someone worthy of you. If you feel as if you've found her, I will not hold this deal." Diana blurted out.

"And I would hate for you to miss out on your dream," he replied softly again glancing briefly at her lips as she bit them again. 

"No matter what we must focus on the end goal and not get caught up in....our charade." There was no delicate way of saying what she wanted to say and she prayed he could read between the lines, hating that her non-subtle manner failing her. 

"Don't worry Diana, I will see us through, after all, we are friends now." he said softly.

Diana nodded, realizing it made her feel sour all of sudden. 

"Yes...we will be friends, besides your dream girl could walk through at any moment and you should be prepared." Diana thought of the Queen, forseeing she might be having yet another conversation with her soon. 

Diana also wondered who the Queen had in mind for him? Jealous pricked at her soul but she knew he would probably adore her and she would him being as kind as he is.

"Shall I call on you this week then, to get this started?" he asked changing the subject. "You may, though I would recommend the late afternoons, my brothers will be out and it will save you from their harassment."

The dance ended and Diana was both relieved and saddened, she broke away from him in a polite curtsey and went in search of a drink wondering what on Earth she had just done. 

A/N: Yes, I am using reverse deal elements of the Daphne and Simon storyline sort of. Let me know what you think! Follow, comment and vote! I already have an ending worked out!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 49.7K 67
THE ORIGINAL BRIDGERTON FANFICTION Aurora Grey, only daughter of Earl Grey and new closest friend to Daphne Bridgerton is an energetic and thoroughly...
847K 19.2K 35
Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, is a beacon of regality, yet beneath her crown lies a woman determined to defy the conventional expectations o...
9.4K 139 12
𝑪𝒂𝒏 𝑰 𝒈𝒐 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒈𝒐? 𝑪𝒂𝒏 𝒘𝒆 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓? 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒉, 𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒎𝒆 �...
204K 4.5K 16
Magnolia || Colin Bridgerton Every member of the London ton in 1813 knew of the closeness between the Bridgerton and Hayward families. They summered...