The Throne of the Four Realms...

By sharmee_m

➜11X featured ●Featured by @magic● ●Featured by @mythandlegend● ●Featured by @Ambassadors ● ●Featured by @Sec... More

MAP OF THE FOUR REALMS
CHAPTER 1 - Of a Prince and his Dragon
CHAPTER 2 - Of Unexpected Things
CHAPTER 3 - Of a Fight and a Voyage
CHAPTER 4 - Of a Cold Stranger
CHAPTER 5 - Of a Black Tower
CHAPTER 6 - Of a Thousand Questions
CHAPTER 7- Of a Lost Wand
CHAPTER 8 - Of an Invitation
CHAPTER 9 - Of a Thrilling Duel
CHAPTER 10 - Of a Royal Ball (Part I)
CHAPTER 11 - Of a Royal Ball (Part II)
CHAPTER 12 - Of a Starry Night
CHAPTER 13 - Of Fire Against Earth
CHAPTER 14 - Of a Mysterious Mark
CHAPTER 15 - Of a New Mission
CHAPTER 16 - Of a Dragon War
CHAPTER 17 - Of an Old Portrait
CHAPTER 18 - Of an Epiphany
CHAPTER 19 - Of a Visit to the Library
CHAPTER 20 - Of a High Lady and her Daughter
CHAPTER 21- Of a King and his Son
CHAPTER 22 - Of Zephyr against Oyster
CHAPTER 23 - Of a Royal Visit
CHAPTER 24 - Of a Glorious Prince
CHAPTER 25 - Of a Discovery
CHAPTER 26 - Of a Winter Palace
CHAPTER 27 - Of a Lost Heirloom
CHAPTER 28 - Of a Feud
CHAPTER 29 - Of Swords and Daggers
CHAPTER 30 - Of a Red Bird
|| DORAN ||
CHAPTER 31 - Of Training
CHAPTER 32 - Of a Fountain
CHAPTER 33 - Of Alchemy
CHAPTER 34 - Of an Awakening
CHAPTER 35 - Of Chaos
CHAPTER 36 - Of a Dungeon (Part I)
CHAPTER 37 - Of a Dungeon (Part II)
CHAPTER 38 - Of an Escape
CHAPTER 39 - Of a Chief (Part I)
CHAPTER 40 - Of a Chief (Part II)
CHAPTER 41 - Of a Forest (Part I)
CHAPTER 42 - Of a Forest (Part II)
CHAPTER 43 - Of a Dragon Ride
CHAPTER 44 - Of a Summer Palace
CHAPTER 45 - Of a Gemini Prince
|| UNA ||
CHAPTER 46 - Of Revelations
CHAPTER 47 - Of a Summer Lord
CHAPTER 48 - Of a Window
CHAPTER 49 - Of Allies and Enemies
|| DORAN ||
CHAPTER 50 - Of a Deal
CHAPTER 51 - Of a Lost King
CHAPTER 52 - Of Siblings
CHAPTER 53 - Of an Enigma
CHAPTER 54 - Of Dark Magic
|| THE THRONE ||
|| RALPH ||
|| UNA ||
|| DORAN - Part I ||
|| DORAN - Part II ||
|| DORAN - Part III ||
CHAPTER 55 - Of Two Slaves
CHAPTER 56 - Of Balance
|| ORELLA ||
CHAPTER 57 - Of a Devil
CHAPTER 58 - Of Heaven and Hell
|| NOVA ||
CHAPTER 60 - Of Reunions (Part II)
EPILOGUE: ALLIANCE
EPILOGUE: STARS
|| THANK YOU FROM THE AUTHOR ||

CHAPTER 59 - Of Reunions (Part I)

1K 95 460
By sharmee_m

Author's note copied from Google:
The name NOVA means "new," stemming from the Latin word "novus" of the same definition... It is also the name given to a star that beams with sudden and increasing brightness after exploding with a burst of energy, making it a name fitting any child destined to make their mark on the world.

***

Light and only light... pure, clean, bright and hopeful.

With a deafening golden explosion, the once simple chair was now the size of a dragon, revealing its true rudimentary form - The Throne of the Four Realms.

Dazzling golden crust sparkled in the glow of the pink sunrise. Hallowed inscriptions were etched all over the Throne, in a language that was now lost to the world, but if the ancient books were to be believed, they were the names of all the Conquerors chosen decade after decade since the very beginning.

Rustic latticework of red and white and blue and green decked the headrest. Below on the back were riveted four crystals - Ruby, Emerald, Diamond and Sapphire; their enthralling glow made me squint my eyes. Mounted on each of the wide arm-rests were two colossal flowers, as if made from crystallized pearls, their fragrance spread and it was nothing but... therapeutic. Red silken curtains hung from the sides, breezing idly with the winter breeze. On the seat, were sequined blue pillows, seeming soft, furry and snowy. And a thick carpet of velvety green moss rolled from the Throne and halted right where the chosen Conqueror was kneeled.

But his back faced the sanctity.

And I felt just what he did. While everyone kneeled to the Throne, I didn't have it in me to oblige. The way Neo had been sucked into oblivion... and realizing that was exactly what he had planned for me, made my faith in it waver. Wasn't human sacrifice abominable? Would the Throne have just sucked me and wiped my existence... in the blink of an eye? I had only the people around me, and my own self, to thank for my safety.

A scream rang around. The branded one's.

The Throne was at work, and I suddenly wished I were miles away. A tremor of elements shook the whole world, sending a message to the old and young, across the seas and land, that the next Conqueror was branded.

A wide ring of dried and fresh leaves, wet soil and dust formed around Nova, while he sat there enraged. Another ring rippled around him noisily like a waterfall's melody, waving in bluish frosty circles, and I hugged myself as the cold reached an all time high in the already cold Realm. Before everyone froze to death, flames of red fire lashed out from the Throne, and blazed over the blue girdle, crackling like logs of firewood in a hearth. Lastly, a massive lightning struck from the skies and twirled itself in another circle, completing the set of four rings of elements. A gift. A boon. A blessing.

With another explosion, the rings shriveled and penetrated the dazed-looking Conqueror, and the brightness fizzled out as if it we had all dreamt it. The carpet of moss still awaited him... Nova was supposed to take his seat on the Throne, but he was broken and... mourning.

A man hurriedly walked past, reaching Nova. Lord Orlon.

He crouched down and spoke to him, gently patting his back. After a silent haul, Nova raised his haunted eyes and slowly nodded. Lord Orlon helped him stand up. I watched the previous High King walk ahead, holding a golden crown in his hand. He placed it on Nova's head and clutched his arms, pushing some of his own strength into him. And I wished they'd just leave him alone... but he had responsibilities.

I looked around the plateau. All the royal warriors, Orella's friends sobbing, stunned and unmoving. Hollow-it was all hollow. Ralph and Una held Orella's lifeless body. My cheeks were still damp, recalling what the devil had said - Amelia was supposed to be where Orella had been. She was the reason Amelia was safe somewhere. The need to meet my sister, to see her with my own eyes rose like never before. My head bowed in deep gratitude for the fallen angel.

Orella would be the brightest star of the Winter Realm's skies from here on.

Nova had climbed the green elevation as if in a trance. And I knew what was to follow, but to witness it in person was an honor. If the books were to be believed, his name would be immortalized on the Throne too. High King Nova.

The old elderly High King Maris dropped on one knee; he put a fist over his chest and raised his other hand to the sky. His powerful Ice Magic flew from his fingertips. Lord Orlon followed; his Fire Magic ignited. I watched my mother stepping ahead, her Earth Magic dazzling her palm. Lords Nigel, Terran, Lenox, Angus along with Lady Arlette moved towards the green rug, along with many other soldiers.

Ralph did not leave Orella's side and neither did Una. Thence, I kneeled, deciding to raise my hands in their stead, in the stead of the rulers of my Realms. My magic mingled with all the powers swirling in the air above, which created a rainbow-like haze overhead. A few unhurt Eclipse soldiers, following my suit along with Althea and Dylan, flanked behind me, before releasing their strong powers up into the sky. The colors of all the Four Realms, of all the Twelve Houses, and even the Eclipses, revered the new High King as he finally sat on his rightful Throne.

It was a tribute to the new Conqueror. A vow of surrendering. A symbol of acceptance. A token to honor the new reign... To welcome a new tomorrow...

If it were some other Conquest, the Conqueror would be wearing the shiniest of the crown and a dazzling smile, while the whole world would drown in celebration. Though, it was all silent now, in everyone's hearts of heart... the joy of having him as our new High King was mutual. He had never needed anyone, to show him what all was wrong with the world... what all could be changed... what all needed to be changed. He had always been worthy, even when he hadn't meant to be.

The colors brightened to an extent that even the sun would be put to shame. The Air lapped fiercely, the ground whispered of mirth and prosperity, the frost turned its winter up a notch, but our bodies remained warm. Nova looked unfazed, his eyes flickering to Orella frequently.

He rose up quickly from the Throne as if it stung him. But then blinked his eyes, remembering instructions. "Rise!" His deep voice echoed in the otherworldly silence and we obliged. The magic overhead dispersed.

In a heartbeat, Nova climbed down and collapsed on his knees, a few paces away from where Una and Ralph held Orella. The Throne vanished behind him like a phantom.

He looked so alone in the moment and I could only imagine how he must be feeling. He wouldn't like being called with any title... he just wanted to be free and normal. I knew what it felt to be an unwilling hero, to be alone even in a crowd. I rushed ahead on a whim. Kneeling in front of him, I took his magically pulsating hands in mine. I'd be the friend he had been when I was lost.

My story had ended and his was just beginning.

Nova squeezed my hands and his tears flew down his cheeks, soundless sobs rumbling in his chest. I held in my own sorrow, as my heart broke and broke. He had lost two people in the blink of an eye, and I knew not how someone recovered from that.

"I killed my own brother." He whispered with his eyes still shut.

"No, you didn't. I did." I spoke quickly, enfolding his palms, "I brought him down. I told you how to kill him. His death is on me. And I want his death to be on me." I meant every word.

Nova was silent for a while. Then he slowly opened his sore eyes to look into mine, "But I lost him. Lost... everything."

Comforting someone had never been my area of knowhow, and so, I only cried with him, our tears falling on the ground one after another, landing on our clasped together hands.

It was all over. We had won. But then why didn't it feel like we had...

***

The two Autumn Lords had taken it on themselves to sort through the living and dead, to set up extra infirmaries. Lady Arlette arranged ships and fleets to send the most critical ones away from the cold, for not all Elementals handled it well. Flocks of Healers scurried around in haste, treating the ones with minor injuries right on the plateau and the grave ones down in the open halls of the embassy palaces.

Una had to arrange for Orella's funeral, her family had arrived soon enough. And it was clear Orella had hid many things from them, from everyone. The Queen of the Winter Realm had been slain in her own home, in her beautiful Piscean snow-land. Her death was honorable in every sense, for she had fought until her last moments.

Nova sat in Doran's tent until the Alchemist would give the all-clear that Doran could be shifted down the mountain as well. He was reluctant to leave his wounded friend's side. The last I saw Lord Orlon was silently keeping him company.

And I had another person to visit. Ralph, who looked like a mess, had arranged for a carriage and with an Earth Eclipses driver's aid, it rolled down the mountain with ease and speed. The image of Orella dying, and in her stead, it could've been my sister, had my stomach churning and it was not because of the bumps in the path.

Ralph narrated what had happened, how Orella had brought Amelia to him, and how they both had seemed to be close. An ache in my heart rose and rose, and there was nothing I could do about it.

"Was she okay?" I asked.

"A bit cold. Warmed her up. She is with... Serena."

"Serena?"

"I sent a word for her to travel down to Una's palace, after I left Amelia in Lady Tessa's care, who was the only one who was guarding the embassies. I knew not whether I could trust Una's mother so I sent for Serena. A familiar face for Amelia."

I put my head on Ralph's shoulder, sighing with relief, "Thank you. That was so thoughtful."

He spoke softly, "I know this is not the time and place but I just want to let you know... that you two are not alone. You grew up by yourself so far... but from here on, you have me." He tapped his finger on my nose, "Alright?"

When I didn't say anything out of surprise and gratitude, he added, "You... uh... also have the Chief. Your mother. She adopted Amelia and cares for you both... you should-"

I cut him off, "Can you forgive father for abandoning you and leaving you with that horrible woman? Can you forgive and forget?" My fists clenched on my lap.

At that Ralph uncomfortably shifted away from me. He pulled the sleeves of his doublet down till his wrists. "It is difficult, yes. But he had you, a daughter. He had a good reason to do that. Maybe with more time, I might truly forgive him and even the Chief... Time is the best healer, as I have been told. It heals everything, traumas, wounds... scars."

I reclined into the seat, heart slowing down and mulled over his words. Maybe with more time...

"Ralph," I lowered my voice, "Why did you become a Mind Healer? I know, not everyone chooses to be one. Not everyone can be one... what happened?"

And you drink because of your mother's abuse? Isn't that it?

He twirled a ring off his finger, "Enough with the questions, already. Aren't you tired? Rest up a bit."

I sighed for I had expected him deflecting that question, which only made my concern for him soar high. If Nova still genuinely mourned for a brother who had nothing but abused him, I could only assume why Ralph endured his parent.

"Just so you know, you're not alone either." I announced, "You have me and I'll kick anyone's arse for you."

He sighed, "Language, there, young lady!"

I smiled, surprised, "Need I remind you, brother dearest, how eloquent you yourself are."

Embarrassed, he slumped in his seat, and mumbled, "I am a lost cause. You be the good one, at least."

"Too late, I already inherited all my older brother's qualities."

"Why, we met like a month ago."

"It's all the family blood." I shrugged.

Ralph gave me a tired dimpled-smile, his gentle red eyes glittered with an emotion I couldn't quite place. And I thanked the stars for granting me a good brother, especially after the horror I had just witnessed.

Halfway down the mountain, he spoke into the silence of the carriage, punctuated with only the rhythmic sound of hooves and wheels whirring beneath against land. "Silent as a lamb, that kid."

My whole body shuddered at that. "What!"

Ralph jumped, as if scared we were under attack, "What?"

"Silent as a lamb? Amelia?"

"Uh, yes. Polite, sweet and... silent. You two grew up to be so sensible."

I stared and stared at him. Was it because Neo had treated her harshly? Or due to the fact that she had been a prisoner? But Queen Orella had been there for her. And no one actually knew how Amelia looked like other than myself and Serena.

I felt dizzy. "You clearly have the wrong girl, then."

***

The carriage ride couldn't have come to an end any faster, and as soon as it did, I jumped down. It surprised me that Amelia wasn't at Doran's palace, but at Una's, the one where I frequented many a visit while training in Elementation with her.

"Careful!" I heard Ralph shout from behind while I jogged off as quickly as I could, tripping slightly over one wayward stone. Some Earth Elemental, I was.

Desperate, I asked a stationed guard, and she led us through the labyrinthic passages, adorned with portraits, Orbs of Dusk all over our heads, golden haze of the morning traveling through slits in straight beams. I inhaled deeply once, before entering a massive open room, with a tree inside at a far corner.

And there she was.

A round tart in hand and smile on her face. In green tunic and black baggy trousers, her golden hair loose and wet, as if she had recently bathed. She sat on a long settee, cross-legged, listening to whatever Serena was animatedly narrating.

I put a hand on my mouth, stifling a gasp. My eyes blurred with the memories of her, I missed her even when she was right in front of me. She sensed my presence, even before I could call her. Her eyes widened as if they'd pop out of her head.

And then it happened all too quickly.

"Eleniiiiiii!" She squealed and with excitement sky-high, stood up on the settee, her feet landed on the edge of the plate of tarts, and they all flew widely in the air - unbothered, she jumped down the settee with a loud thud and crossed the distance between us with the speed of a tornado.

My eyes widened, as she collided into me and I staggered back, just like the times when I'd pick her up from school back at home.

"YOU ARE ALIVE!" She screamed in my ear, deafening me in the process.

As I clutched her body tightly against mine, tears flew down my cheeks, and simultaneously my body shook with... laughter. I inhaled her fruity smell, the scent of a floral bath salt, and I sighed... knowing she had suffered but she was here now - safe and sound. Just the same. I'd never ever leave her alone, no matter what she'd say, no matter what slurs she'd hurl at me, knowing we weren't blood-related... I'd never let her go.

I pulled back from Amelia, and looked at her properly. She looked taller or maybe I imagined it. Her face was red, blue eyes teary, and lips quivering with sniffles. Her beautiful freckled-face had a long black scar running from under her left eye and stopping near the corner of her lip, slashing blades at my heart. I wiped her face, and pushed her wet hair behind her shoulders, a void in my heart filling up on its own accord.

"We are fine. You are fine. Everything is fine. I was so scared... But we are fine." She clutched me again, urgently.

"Yes, my strong, strong girl, it's all over. We are fine. Beyond fine." I swallowed, holding her. "I'm sorry I left you. I'm so sorry."

She shook her head, burrying it in my shoulder.
But then she pulled back, her eyes widened, and she toned her face into neutral in a jiffy, putting on an act which I was all too well aware of. I realized she was looking over my shoulder - her craze about royals would never deter. I craned my neck back with a sly smile.

Ralph was standing frozen in the doorway, as if he had seen a ghost.

I heard Serena laughing, and I stifled my own. His gaze traveled from myself to Amelia and back at me.

He shook his head with a soft smile. "Silent as a lamb, yes."

Amelia's face fell all of a sudden and she looked over his shoulders, before asking him the dreaded question.

"Didn't Orella come with you?"

***

Ralph roved a hand through his hair, looking like he'd faint any moment. I shook my head at him. His blurred eyes met mine and he spoke with a heavy voice, "She'll find out one way or the other, Eleni. It's not our secret to keep."

A punch landed in my guts, as I remembered the biggest secret which I had been keeping from him... about how our father had died. About how his own mother was the reason, we didn't have a father.

I even had to tell Amelia, that our mother was alive. That the Chief had abandoned us. I still didn't have the heart to forgive her, and I already knew how Amelia would react - knowing she was an adopted child, whose parents had died saving me and my family. The room seemed to close in on me.

Una and her mother still didn't know the truth about the Chief and her daughter. Just before I thought I might faint with the pile of burdens, soft hands clutched me and I found Serena blink at me, passing me some of her strength. I decided to ask Serena for advice, as soon as I got her alone.

Ralph came closer, sensing my hesitation and made Amelia sit on the settee behind. Surprisingly, Amelia didn't resist, as if sensing the gravity of the situation.

Kneeling in front of her, he spoke, with an evident crack in his voice "I... I am sorry, kiddo. I couldn't bring her with me. But she... she would've wanted to... she really wanted to."

Amelia's chest heaved, as she stared and stared at him. "No." She looked at me, and back at him, "No."

I shuddered to imagine, Amelia ever finding out that Orella had died in her stead. Even Ralph seemed to have decided not to tell her that. His face trembled, and I knew how much snowflake meant to Ralphy. And he was crumbling. He had tried to help Orella with his mind spell, had given her the liberty to die in Nova's arms... and looking at Amelia's scar, it hit me like lightning -- Orella had carved a similar one on Neo's face before dying.

Amelia was shaking her head in disbelief. She raised her choked voice at Ralph, "No. It can't be. I want to see her. Take me to her. She brought me to you, saying I could trust you. And now you take me to her."

Ralph's head bowed, he patted her hair with shaky fingers, mumbled an apology again and hastily walked out of the room.

***

A whole week flew before the darkness truly dispersed.

I worked till the lines on my palms might be scrubbed off. Being the one and only Fire-Earth Eclipse was both a curse and a boon.

Smiling at one injured soldier, whose legs had been turned to a rubbery mess by a slaved Eclipse, I swirled my fingers. The Healing magic came naturally to me, and I never even had to figure out how it worked... because it just did.

On the first morning after the war, the Alchemist had asked me to give her a healing plant and after a few trials, I had successfully sprouted the green bush, with red flowers, the smell of which had healed Dylan ages ago. She had thanked me, and after that I never saw her again.

My healing magic needed to be guided to perfection, was her firm opinion and I decided to heed her advice and heal a few minor injuries around. Stepping out of the warm tent, I looked up at the bright morning sky. I knew they were still up there, watching me, waiting for me to make a wish on them.

And I did - Please let today be the day.

But a familiar gruff voice spoke from behind. "I am going to murder you."

I rolled my eyes even before turning.

Una stood glaring at me like always. Her white tunic flowy with the winter breeze and high-waist breeches muddy with all the healing work she was volunteering to, like me. She took a deadly step ahead and I gulped.

"Guess what," She gritted her teeth, "I had an interesting conversation with one of the Eclipses soldiers, Celia-something."

My eyes widened in terror.

"Really, Eleni? You are the Chief's daughter! When were you going to tell me? Do you not know what that means?"

"I do, but... I..."

Una pointed a finger in my face, "You are my mother's old Head Guard's child... That's why she left! She gave birth to a Half-Fire Eclipse. To you."

I swallowed hard, "Yes. Does she know, your mother?"

Una looked into the distance, her face etched in horror, "Not yet. The Chief left before the sweet mother of reunion happened. But if I can find out then so can she."

We stayed silent for a while. Her eyes glaring and mine lowered.

"You never tell me anything. Why is that? Are we not friends? Do you still not trust me?" Una sighed, hurt flashing in her words.

"It's nothing to do with you, Una. I trust you with my life and would even die for you if it came to that." I shook my head, as I felt a derisive laughter blooming in my chest, "But what was I supposed to say, though? The mother whom I thought to be dead, is actually alive and leads the most secret society of the world, having conveniently abandoned me and my sister. I am not really proud of making it worldwide that I was a... mistake."

Why was it so hard to forgive and forget?

Una's face softened. And before she could say anything more, a mild clearing of throat fell on our ears.

"Girls!" The Head Alchemist stood behind Una, looking at us with a sweet smile. A silken emerald cloak breezing around, long black hair neat and prim, grey strands beautifully arranged to create a wavy design - she had donned her real self. Her smile was different today. More hopeful. Wider and livelier.

"A few hours ago, actually." The older lady said and shrugged playfully, looking at me. "Told you, Eleni, your magic is always the missing element."

Una and I gasped aloud. No words were needed. We both jogged off towards the Autumn palace, as if we were racing like kids for the finish line, as if today was the very first day when the sun had shone on us.

***

We both halted, panting a little, her giddy, and I numb. The room where I had forbidden myself to go for the whole week, which had been nothing but a dark alchemical mess, today, was full of light and life. I froze a little outside the doorway as voices from inside fell on my ears.

"I am fine, father. Stop fussing and that... I am so not drinking that."

I sucked in a huge breath at the silvery voice.

My Sagittarian boy was awake. And throwing tantrums.

***

Author's note: First Eleni was missing for 6 chapters then Doran was missing for next 6. So we gotta give them something. And I'll make it not so sad, I promise. And that also gives us a round figure of 60 chapters apart from the POVs of other characters.

I was actually intending to highlight ever since Nova was rescued, that he was going to win. Especially in the chapter with Eleni and Nova's conversation - 55th. But even that came as a surprise to the readers so, I guess... an unintentional plot twist. Says just how much Una and Ralph seemed equally worthy to you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8M 177K 26
No one even knew that it was possible, but seeing is believing. Usually werewolves meet their mates after they meet their wolves for the first time w...
133K 6.1K 61
Princess Aqua Marie Okeah has one last chance to find her mate before her father forces her to marry the son of Duke Kion Lagunov. She will be attend...
4.2M 251K 81
Marcie is an oddity in her village, the daughter of a widower with both village and outsider blood in her veins. She cares for her drunken father, an...
8.3K 651 44
Princes with dark pasts, girls out for vengeance, and creatures with a thirst for blood. These trials may live up to their name: they just might caus...