A Pact With The Prince | Brid...

By WildChild1331

[Draft 1 of Lady Whistledown's Unpublished Papers] Dear Reader, "Egredere Audacter Et Fideliter "~ Go Out Bol... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Author's Note
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Epilogue

Chapter Eight

4.9K 150 7
By WildChild1331

Diana walked inside her home, quickly running upstairs to her room to change. "What on Earth happened!" Tinsley asked as Diana dropped her gown in a puddle of water.

"Rain!" Diana grinned as she moved to her desk.

"Let me draw you a hot bath and warmed lemon water, you'll catch a cold!" Tinsley scolded leaving the room.

Diana ignored her opening her diary to write about her day. Diana left the Prince under the canopy of the tree as the drops of rain slowed. Diana explained she would tell him of her idea once she had hammered it all out, promising to explain it at the next assembly which was in three days. The idea was perfect, he would gain footing again to find a Princess and if she played this right, she would get two proposals to reject and earn her Tour with her brother.

Diana scribbled her thoughts and feelings in her diary, finding how fascinated she was with the Prince and how she felt like while he was all smiles and kindness, he had more to him than he let on. Diana paused then bit her lip, on paper, it was plain as day as she reread her entry how much she liked the Prince.

"Impossible!" Diana shook her head, deciding it was an attraction and nothing more, she couldn't be falling for Prince Friedrich, adventures were to be had and she truly didn't know exactly what she wanted in life. Prince Friedrich, on the other hand seemed to know exactly what he wanted, he did not deserve to be with someone who was unsure especially after his previous disastrous season.

Diana set on a new page her list of why it wouldn't do to fall in love with the Prince in her diary. The Queen, being number one, informing her it was impossible. The royal already has some mysterious and surely beautiful debutante perfect for him. Secondly, the Prince is too perfect for her, handsome, intelligent, kind, and gentle.  She, on the other hand, was restless as her brothers, outspoken, and could not settle to be a demure Princess. 

Diana's more logical mind reminded her she needed to be careful, the plan could backfire painfully and she needed to draw the line immediately the next time she spoke with him. The emotional Diana impeded those thoughts with his smile, kindness, and how he made her feel. 

"Must be just infatuation," Diana muttered to herself, deciding then and there her feelings couldn't be deep, she can't let it and he surely would lose interest in her as time went on. Diana then forced to remember how the Queen mentioned he flirted in his home country, surely he had no deep interest in her and must consider her another conquest. 

An hour later, Diana settled in her bath still deep in thought, her plan now in a precarious position of being a good idea and a bad one. Diana could not discuss with her friends she decided, the secret must be between her and the Prince. Diana knew she needed to guard her heart fiercely, if she lost it, there is no telling what stupid decisions and missed opportunities it would cost her.

The next couple of days leading up to the ball, Diana contemplated on her proposal. A line must be drawn between them and no matter how much her heart stuttered around him she could not lose herself completely because surely those feelings would wear away. Diana scribbled in her diary the scenarios that could play out when she saw him tonight, her nerves letting her imagination run wild. 

"Diana, your mother is here to help you get ready, she has a gown for you." Tinsley whispered hurriedly. Diana quickly shoved her papers and things in her drawer. Settling in her vanity picking up her brush, pretending to work out a knot in her lock. 

Diana's mother walked through her room with no announcement and two maids brought two things, the box of a gown and a velvet case.

"Tonight, you are not going as just a debutante, you will show the world you are a Vincent debutante." Diana looked at her mother in the mirror who gleefully looked diabolical.

"What was I before?" Diana replied dryly. 

"A beautiful young lady not trying hard enough, my sweet." her mother pulled the lid off the box. 

The dress was revealed and Diana gasped. "Mother...this is actually beautiful." Diana didn't know what to expect but she found the white gown with lace sleeves and a glimmer of crystals throughout the bodice and skirt.

"You will be set to dance for gentlemen I have picked for you and you will spend time speaking with them. Your brothers have proven to be too lax when it comes to your will and this time I will be supervising." Her mother announced as she observed the dress bringing brought out. 

Diana held her tongue knowing any protest would be useless. This was the deal she made and she would see it through. Diana slipped into the dress finding herself rather different when she looked back in the mirror. Diana felt herself settle into the dress, straightening her back and feeling rather..grown up. 

"Tinsley I want loose curls and braids to wrap, she will have this in her hair." Her mother brought forth the velvet box revealing a stunning tiara, the jewels were asymmetrical, scattered in different sizes like splash of stars that contrasted well with her dark hair.

When they finished carefully pinning her hair, Diana looked back again, and though the dress wasn't something she would imagine letting herself wear, she decided she would adore herself in it. 

"You look much grown up." Her mother smiled proudly at her in the mirror.

"I feel....grown up," Diana admitted, her mother smiled triumphantly. "You see what happens when you let me take full reign." Diana rolled her eyes as she smiled at her mother. 

"Now we will head to the ball and remember you dance with who I ever say you should." The Vincent matron gave her a stern look before leading her out of her room. 

As they descended down into the foyer where her brothers were waiting, they all glanced at each other looking worried. 

"Why do I get the feeling we will have to stay alert and throttle unworthy suitors all night." Damien asked.

"Good, you'll finally be doing your jobs." Their Lady Vincent quipped. "Now, I expect all of you to behave."

Diana was nervous, suddenly she might end up with proposals without the Prince's help after all.  Diana reminded herself, she didn't have much time for the song and dance of courting which could take months. 

When they all arrived at the home of one of the Lords, her mother had impeccable timing. Lady Vincent had mastered the art of the arrival, being not too early and not too late. When they crossed the threshold, Diana suddenly felt nervous. She found herself looking around the foyer where servants collected her cloak. The ton also arriving was already staring as her mother and she made their way to the main room. Before they descended the stairs, they were stopped by a familiar friend.

"I see your mother finally got her way and snuck her claws in you." Lady Danbury smirked as she walked up to them. Despite bad knees that required a cane she still moved with the grace and precision of a lioness.

"Lady Danbury." Diana bowed as Lady Danbury grinned at her before turning to her mother. "Celeste, I see you've prepared Diana for the fires of courting."

"And more, tonight she will not avoid anybody and has committed to being the Vincent she is." Her mother smiled proudly.

"We shall see." Lady Danbury winked at her. "I think there's much of the Amato blood simmering as well."

"That's what I am most afraid of." Her mother sighed at the mention of her maiden name. 

"Those poor souls." Lady Danbury drawled amusedly. "Find me later, we have some matters to discuss." Lady Danbury moved ahead of them as she walked down, the Master of Ceremonies announcing her.

"Chin high, and do not stare at your feet." Her mother whispered as she handed her dance card. 

Diana descended as soon as they announced her. Diana looked ahead as instructed, walking down the stairs where the ton who stared, pausing to watch. Diana couldn't help but scan the crowd and landed on Prince Freidrich who held her gaze, ignoring the woman next to him, trying to strike a conversation.

Diana's eyes tore away, knowing if she continued this she would surely tumble down the steps. As soon as she landed, maintaining as a calm demeanor as she could, a gentleman immediately approached them, blocking him from her. 

"Ms. Vincent, I must ask for your first dance." The man said breathless, she vaguely remembered him as Mr. DeCourcy a firstborn of a landowner. 

"She would be delighted." Her mother spoke for her before Diana could open her mouth. Diana exchanged a look with her mother but didn't dare show her disdain.

Diana smiled at her partner and took his hand up for the first dance. Mr. DeCourcy led her to the dance floor in the next room. Diana attempted to converse with him as her mother watched closely from the sideline. It was hard to pretend she was enjoying herself and attempted to see what kind of man DeCourcy was. The young man spoke nothing but his large estate, while it held some fascination for her but instead soured when he had plans to destroy a part of the forest for farming.

Her next partner was a gentleman much older he was a friend of her father's in parliament. Lord Kensworth, the man spittled and grinned, his teeth yellowed and stained with wine. Diana looked at her mother in horror, even she seemed regretful in pairing the two. When it came to her third dance, Diana begged for a reprieve, her feet hurt, her smile was beginning to be more difficult and the conversation was becoming cyclic. All the well she danced, she stole glances around the room looking for the kind blue eyes and golden hair. Diana prayed at this point that all of this would be worth it. 

A/N: Merry Christmas all! I hope you enjoy the next few chapters. It's super hard to edit this without changing the whole thing. Follow, comment, vote! Let me know what you think!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

143K 4.2K 37
"Hold me close so I can finally... breathe" Marriage wasn't something Carina Bridgerton looked forward to. And true love was not something she dreame...
74.4K 3.4K 22
If you were to ask anyone in the ton about the Lady with a Fan, even an errand boy could give you an answer. That's the name Anastasia Bridgerton had...
224K 5.1K 16
Magnolia || Colin Bridgerton Every member of the London ton in 1813 knew of the closeness between the Bridgerton and Hayward families. They summered...
263K 6.8K 23
Kathryn Bishop had a great life. She grew up with loving and supportive parents and a younger sister who she got along with. Mr and Mrs. Bishop were...