Planning Forever After (Book...

By moudenes

Flowers, invitations, music... a Cinderella carriage or an elephant... Thomas Morgan can arrange every weddin... More

Chapter 1 - Thomas
Chapter 2 - Abigail
Chapter 3 - James
Chapter 4 - William
Chapter 5 - Didier
Chapter 6 - Carter
Chapter 7 - Assistant
Chapter 8 - Buddy
Chapter 9 - Proposal
Chapter 10 - London
Chapter 11 - Lunch
Chapter 12 - Radio
Chapter 13 - Fired
Chapter 14 - Problem
Chapter 15 - Bowling
Chapter 16 - Mail
Chapter 17 - Okay
Chapter 19 - Lawsuit
Chapter 20 - Coffee
Chapter 21 - Officiant
Chapter 22 - Fifth Date
Chapter 23 - The Groom's Brother
Chapter 24 - Memories
Chapter 25 - Pizza
Chapter 26 - Arcade
Chapter 27 - High Tea
Chapter 28 - Mrs. Caldwell
Chapter 29 - Potluck
Chapter 30 - Performers
Chapter 31 - Secret
Chapter 32 - Breakfast
Chapter 33 - High Tea
Chapter 34 - Ideas
Chapter 35 - Fairgrounds
Chapter 36 - Circus Tent
Chapter 37 - Extra Guests
Chapter 38 - Odd Guests
Chapter 39 - Forever After

Chapter 18 - Substitute

3.4K 219 15
By moudenes

DIDIER

Managing a wedding on my own was never in the plans. Thomas let me take the lead in the planning of this one since it was a simple event, but I never imagined I would be the one running the show. William drives behind me and that gives me so much comfort. Since I started working for the Morgans, one thing became clear: they always have each other's back.

We park at the manor's service area and I get out of my new second-hand car. My old tuna can was embarrassing and now that I'm making a decent amount of money, it was time for something else. Clutching to Thomas magical suitcase with his tablet and every possible item to deal with an emergency, Will and I head inside.

"Hey, guys! What do you think?" Amber looks momentarily over her shoulder as she takes in her work.

"It's incredibly beautiful. Feels like spring in here," I gaze around and admire the arrangements of pastel colored tulips. The weather outside is cold with a chance of rain, but in here it's like a happy sunny day.

"That was what I was going for. Hey, where is Thomas?" She realizes that it's just us two.

"In bed, suffering from a pastry and appetizers indulgence," Will smirks as he enjoys the scent of a flower arrangement. "Didier will manage the event today, and I will assist him."

"Indulgence... Meaning puking his guts out," she shakes her head. "Does he still has a crush on Marissa O'Brien?"

"It's so obvious, right? Everybody has noticed it, but himself," Will laughs.

"He's only fooling himself. Marissa came to pick edible flowers for cupcakes and found Thomas and I discussing the flowers for the Shaw-Tate wedding. He got so annoyingly hyperactive when he saw her and started talking loudly. It was like one of those monkeys that puffs itself and makes loud noises when he wants to mate," she laughs.

"A howler monkey," I say, and they turn to look at me with curiosity. "I have seen my good share of wild animals, real or in documentaries," I shrug.

"Well, indeed, like a howler monkey. He left after the wild display of affection, and Marissa and I were left alone. While packing her stuff, I casually asked her if she was interested in Thomas. Without a second of hesitation, she said she does."

"The biggest problem is that Thomas is allergic to commitment. He's stated that he doesn't want to get married and that seems to be something the girls he's dated wished for," Will says.

"Maybe he just needs the right girl to change his mind," I say. "Marissa and him would be good for each other."

"No doubt there," Will says. "We can only hope that he makes a move soon, before it's too late."

Amber finishes the last decorations in the manor and says goodbye. The caterer arrives, followed by the photographer, and the three-piece jazz band I hired for the occasion. While our vendors are setting up, the bride arrives together with her mother.

"Hello, Adalyn. Hello, Mrs. Hudson. How are you doing today?" I say to welcome them and motion for them to follow me to the dressing room upstairs.

"I don't know about how Mom feels, but it's like a bittersweet moment," Adalyn says with a trembling lip. "I'm happy that I'm marrying Joel, but I miss my father so much and wish he could have been here."

Thomas told me her father passed a month ago. As someone who's lost a parent recently, I understand the feelings.

"I miss him enormously, my dear," her mom caresses her cheek. "He was my first love. I'm sure he's here in spirit with us. Is Thomas around? He asked me for my late husband's photo."

"Unfortunately, Thomas is ill. I will take care of you and your wedding today. I understand what you are going through since I lost my mother a few months ago, and she was my only family. I wish she could see what I'm doing today to ensure you have one of the best days of your life."

Mrs. Hudson pats my cheek, then kisses it. I give her a grateful smile.

"If you are so kind as to give me the photo, I'll give it a place of honor. Please have some refreshments while I hang your dress. As soon as your stylist arrives, I will send him here."

A small knock on the door interrupts us and a beautiful lady with a clear baby bump comes inside.

"Oh, Jill, look at you!" Adalyn grins at her sight. "Didier, this is Jill, my matron of honor. Thomas is sick and he will manage the event."

"A pleasure to meet you," she shakes my hand. "I was looking forward to meeting Thomas since everyone speaks so well about him. This one in here didn't allow me to enjoy much of the planning."

"Don't you regret it," Adalyn says. "Having a baby is not easy, and the health of you both is most important."

"Adalyn is right," I say. "Enjoy yourselves and let me know if there's anything I can do for you."

After I head downstairs, I look at the checklist and mark everything that is done. Thomas' detailed project plan is straightforward to follow and Will fills in the blanks on everything else that I need to do or know.

The wedding ceremony turned out beautifully and only a minor emergency happened when the groom let the ring fall and tore the seat of his trousers when he bent to pick it. His eyes almost popped from the sockets when I asked him to take off his pants so that I could fix them. We had him ready in no time since I know how to do basic sewing and he could join his wife to enjoy the reception.

People mingle and talk in the different rooms of the manor. Others dance to slow jazz or enjoy cold champagne glasses. I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn to find Mrs. Hudson.

"Hello, Didier. Do you have a moment for me?" She asks with a sweet smile.

"Of course," I escort her to the sitting room where a few people are having a conversation, but no one pays attention to us.

"I believe I knew your mother. Her name was Ms. Bouchard, right?"

"That's right. How do you know her?" I feel fascinated by the information.

"I was her primary physical therapist. Every time I went to her apartment to assist her, she always talked about you and how proud she was. She said you were handsome, but her words don't make you justice. Too bad my Adalyn met Joel first, although he is lovely as well," she laughs.

"Thank you, you are very kind, and I'm sure Joel and Adalyn will have a merry life together. It makes me happy to meet someone who knew my mother. I loved her with all my heart, but she was skeptic about everyone she met and avoided social contact."

"And just like my dear husband, she left too soon," Mrs. Hudson smiles sadly.

My mom was only 51 years old when she passed away. The hard life at the circus was etched in her face, making her look older than she really was.

"My only regret is not doing enough for her, but we just couldn't afford to see a specialist."

"She had advanced osteoporosis. Even when the erosion in her bones could have been slowed down a bit with medicines, they wouldn't have healed her. Her bones showed a history of malnutrition and overuse. I'm sure you did all you could for her."

"I'll try to convince myself of that. Are you enjoying yourself?"

"Plenty! And I have been observing you, and Thomas sent the perfect substitute. You are talented, Didier. I heard what you did with needle and thread."

"I'm glad I could be of service," I say and one of the servers calls my attention. "Excuse me, Mrs. Hudson, but duty calls."

"Of course, sweetheart. Thanks for all you've done."

The server brings me to the kitchen and I help clarify the order of the wines. As I return to do some rounds, I see through one of the many windows that it's raining outside. Will clears a champagne glass that broke in the dining hall, but further everything seems fine and no one is hurt or showered in wine. I reach the entrance hall and find a woman combing her soaked hair with her fingers. 

"Let me get some towels for you. Is there anyone I can call to help you?"

When the woman turns around, I see it is Abigail.

"I'll be eternally thankful for a hot cup of coffee. I'm chilled to the bone," she shivers.

Even with wet hair and runny makeup, she looks as beautiful as always. I take off my jacket and put it over her shoulders. She pulls it closer and gives me a grateful smile.

"Let's go upstairs. There's a spare room where you can dry your hair. Maybe with luck we'll find a bathrobe."

"I have a dress in my car, but it's storming out there. I can just wait here until my clothes dry enough."

"That is a twill dress. It will take forever to dry and you will catch a cold. One sick event planner is enough. Give me your keys," I put my hand out.

She knows she won't win this fight and takes the keys out of her purse. I grab a large umbrella and retrieve the dress from her car. When I walk inside the room, I find her wearing a bathrobe and she's tied her hair in a messy ponytail at her nape.

"Thank you, Didier. Mom messaged me at the baby shower about what Thomas did. Typical him," she shakes her head in disapproval and heads to the en-suite bathroom to change. "She asked me to bring her some stuff as she's going to stay at his place and then I headed here in case you needed a hand. Since you greeted me in the main hall, I can only assume that you have everything under control. Can you zip me?" She asks when she comes out.

I move her ponytail out of the way as I zip her dress, and then I caress her shoulders and move my hands down her arms. Abigail turns around and I kiss her. I feel her body react with surprise, but then she relaxes and kisses me back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 223 8
A sequel to 'Way Back' [also known as the huge mess Charlie has made]. What if the right person comes at the worst possible time? Would you fix your...
348K 3.6K 43
Preferences and Imagines of Jason Ezra Toby Caleb Mike Noel
11.6K 213 14
He grins at you, shaking his head slightly. "You know some people might say you're asking for it." You're not quite sure how long you've been playing...
40.6K 2.5K 10
@Lauranne369 asked me to write a story where Harry is a wedding planner. This story is based on the rom com The Wedding planner. Harry meets a great...