gravity

By moonchildstyless

(y/n) hated physics while harry loved it, but both of them have a couple of secrets. More

gravity
momentum
magnetism
tension
inertia
reflection

impulse

6.8K 228 147
By moonchildstyless

impulse is an interfering force that changes an object's course

—————

"Do you know what you're doing tonight? Did he tell you or is it a surprise?"

Ny's rattling of questions worked as (Y/N)'s soundtrack as she made minor adjustments to her outfit and makeup. (Y/N) smiled at her roommate sprawled out over her bed in her mirror as she fluffed the pair of half-up pigtails that crowned her head.

"He's taking me to a movie and dinner, I think. But, I don't know what movie we're going to. He wanted to keep that part a secret."

Ny gave her a puppy pout, dropping her head to rest on her crossed arms with her feet kicking in the air. "Stop, that's so sweet, you're kidding."

"I know," (Y/N) cooed, dabbing an extra swipe of gloss over her lips, "He told me he wanted to take me on a 'proper' date."

"He's so cute," Ny bubbled, glancing at her phone as a text came in, "What time is he supposed to be here? It's almost seven-thirty."

"Not for another ten minutes," she mused, tugging on the high waist of her pants while twisting in the mirror, "He said he'd text me when he was here."

"Are you excited?"

"I'm so excited, are you kidding?" (Y/N) smiled, tightening the bow on her top that tied the whole shirt together, "I can't believe he even asked me out, especially with the way he was acting a couple of weeks ago."

"I told you he liked you."

(Y/N) rolled her eyes though she had to fight to keep her smile from growing, "I know. But, it doesn't matter now because everything worked out just fine."

She heard Ny in the background, singing under her breath I told you so! but she paid her no mind. While pulling on her white leather boots, her phone went off in her cherub painted back pocket. Her heart rate kicked up when she realized who would be on the other side of the notification. With shaky hands, she plucked her phone from her pocket and swiped open the message thread.

Harry

I'm here!:)

"Is that him?"

Ny jumped up from where she laid on (Y/N) bed, ushering to her side in an effort to peek over her shoulder.

She nodded her head as she rolled her lips nervously between her teeth. "He said he's here."

"Is he coming up?"

"I don't know, should I go down there?"

"Well, what did he say?"

"He just said he's here with a smiley face!"

"Then go down there! He's probably waiting for you!"

A sense of nervous panic took over (Y/N) as Ny laughed out her answer. She'd been so excited to see him (and she still was, of course), but now that he was here she couldn't stop the way her lungs squeezed and her mind was blank. Nothing was processing aside from the sound of her blood rushing in her ears with each pump. Suddenly, she found that her hair was mussed, the bell sleeves of her shirt were wrinkled beyond repair, and her shoes no longer complimented her outfit.

"Do I look okay? Am I forgetting anything?" she bubbled off, stress tinting her voice. Her hands fluttered over her clothes before counting off on her fingers if she had everything she needed in her bag before she left.

"You look perfect, and you're not forgetting anything just go!" Ny urged her out of the bedroom and towards the front door, "And send me your location when you get to the cinema!"

(Y/N) was sure she looked like a deer in headlights, stumbling over her feet like Bambi and struggling to find her head through the butterflies cocooned in her tummy. "Okay, okay, I will. Love you, bye!"

Ny reciprocated her sendoff before shutting the door in her face. (Y/N) was left standing in the hallway like a potted plant, more scatter-brained than she would like to be before going on a date she'd been waiting for. She worked on something like autopilot as she rushed towards the elevator, typing out a shaky text to Harry that she was on her way down. The few silent moments in the elevator made her realize just how off balance she was.

She'd been waiting for this date all week since he proposed it—and even before then, if she was being honest. She thought she'd be ready, especially with the way she'd been so eager to put the details of her outfit together and had Naomi act as her right hand when it came to getting ready. She hadn't even asked for details about the date, what movie they would see or where he wanted to take her to dinner before she agreed, eager to do really anything with him. But, it was a good thing she was this nervous right? That meant it was real—her feelings for him were real and not just a fleeting infatuation with one of the smartest people she'd ever met.

By the time she made it out to where he was parked against the curb in front of the complex, (Y/N) received a text from Harry telling her there was no rush with a smiley face tacked on the end. When she looked up without a response, she found him with his face buried in his phone, the illuminated screen lighting his features up through the tint of his windows. She could see his features fixed into a smile, dimples denting his cheeks with the raspberry of his lips in a dreamy curl.

He still hadn't seen her yet by the time he dropped his phone and started fussing with his hair and straightening inconspicuous wrinkles in his clothes. (Y/N) took advantage of her momentary stealth as she stalked towards his window, a sly plan coming together before she could feel too bad about the results. A tint of guilt followed after her as she tip-toed to his car, thankful for the first time for the lack of street lamps illuminating the complex's parking lot.

Tapping on his window, Harry started with a jump before whipping his head in her direction with wide eyes fixed on her devious expression. She could hear the intake of breath through the glass, his hands immediately coming up to defend himself over whatever enemy he perceived her to be. Once he processed it was only his date for the night, his shoulders sagged in relief with his hands falling to his lap. As expected, an embarrassed flush worked its way over his features and even tinted the tips of his ears. (Y/N) couldn't help the bright smile that covered her features as peals of laughter left her lips. A moment later Harry's expression began to match her own, the beginnings of a smile touching at his lips though she was sure his heart was still racing with leftover adrenaline.

Rounding the bonnet of his car, she made it to the passenger side before slipping in beside him. "I got you!" she exclaimed through her giggles as she buckled up, pointing an accusing finger in his direction.

"You're so mean," Harry countered, his expression less than serious with dimples denting his cheeks and a light in the green of his eyes, "I can't believe 'm taking y'out tonight, and y'still scare me like that. 'S rude, you know that?"

"It was funny!" she laughed, playfully rolling her eyes at his faux attitude, "I'll let you get me next time, is that fair?"

Harry grumbled something under his breath she couldn't quite catch as he pulled away from the curb, starting them off in the direction of the movie theater. Though the space between them was now quiet, (Y/N) couldn't wipe the smile off her face. She was more than pleased with her greeting, the act having scrubbed away the harsh edge of her nerves and leaving something soft and familiar in its place. She relaxed into her seat, finally catching the Mac Miller song playing through the speakers, the same one that she had exclaimed was one of her favorites the last time she got a look into his music taste.

Beside her, she saw Harry with his own smile tacked onto his features. One of his hands was fixed to the steering wheel while the other was bent at the elbow to rest on the lip of the sill of the door. His knuckles dented into his smiling cheek.

"So, what movie are we seeing?" she asked, setting her sights solely on him.

His smile somehow grew at the sound of her question though she could tell he was trying his best to keep it under wraps. "'M not telling you, but I think you'll like it."

"Why can't I know? If I know, I'll be able to tell you for sure if I'm going to like it," she countered, amusement tinting her voice. Even though she was complaining, she thought it was cute. He wanted the date to be a surprise.

"I think you'll like it even more if its a surprise."

"Fine," she relented through her smile, "Where are we going for dinner, then? Am I allowed to know that?"

"Well," he started, glancing at her as he came to a stop at a light, "I haven't decided yet, but would y'want to go to Pasta Sauce tonight?"

(Y/N) perked up at the sound of the neighborhood restaurant she and Ny liked to indulge in a little too often for their bank accounts. "Yes! Ny and I love it there; we order from there all the time."

By the time he's following the line of cars beginning to move, Harry's smile was wide enough it could have split his cheeks. He hadn't stopped smiling since she got into the car, she noticed, the fact bloating her heart. Even when she spooked him, after he recovered, his expression immediately twisted into a small smile when he realized it was only her. It made the butterflies in her stomach go wild at the thought that he might be as excited as she was.

She had a good feeling about tonight.

—————

As Harry ushered (Y/N) through the ticket booth at the theater, it was hard to ignore the self-satisfied smirk on his features. He was a little too proud of himself for thinking ahead and buying the tickets online, further drawing out the surprise of what film he picked for the night. Nonetheless, she only rolled her eyes a bit as she followed after him.

"Is it okay if I...?" he trailed off, falling into step beside her as they joined the short line waiting for the usher to scan their tickets and direct them to the correct theater. When she looked up at him, he had his brows raised and a faint pink tint to his cheeks, hand hovering cautiously at her side, "I jus' don't want to lose you."

He always asked permission to touch her, even if it drew those rosy hues across his skin every time. It never got old for her. "Of course," she bubbled, readily giving him permission. She looked forward to when he felt secure enough to touch her without the preamble.

His features softened significantly as his gaze dropped to the retro carpeting under their feet. Harry's arm wrapped itself gently around her waist, the warmth of his palm settling on the curve of her middle. He was still shaky in his movements as if waiting for a rejection from her, but (Y/N) only curled herself into his embrace. A glowing smile made a home on his lips as he tightened his fingers on her form, the line moving slowly as the bubbly teenager rattled off directions with signature customer service graciousness.

Harry cleverly shielded his phone from her as he showed the attendant the barcode to verify their tickets, making a point to lean away from (Y/N) to obscure the bright screen.

"You're going to be in theater seven down the left hallway," the girl who's nametag read Kelsie puttered off. The bright smile on the teenager's face grew genuine as she caught sight of the delicate arm around (Y/N)'s waist, "Have a nice night, you two."

Harry reciprocated the niceties as he tucked his phone away. Bringing (Y/N) along, he edged towards the concessions counter. "Do y'want snacks or anything?" he mumbled, ducking his head as if sharing a secret with her.

She was too jittery to eat, (Y/N) decided, her veins still thrumming from the arm around her waist. Her tummy was full with butterflies, leaving no room for anything else. "I'm okay, but thank you."

Pulling back just enough to shoot her a small smile, Harry nodded his head as his eyes trailed over her features. "Okay," he sighed, something dreamy taking over his tone, "Ready to see what I picked, then?"

When she eagerly nodded her head in response, Harry let out a breathy laugh. He urged her alongside him with his arm looped around her form. They followed the direction given by Kelsie up front, tracing down the left hallway with large flags posted above the various theaters inscribed with golden numbers. Her eyes scanned through the hall for the large illuminated seven that was just at the edge of the hall before it forked in either direction with more viewings down each side. Harry's pace picked up when he followed her gaze, a giddy smile on his face as he ushered them forward.

In the cubby where the doors to the theater were housed, the poster of the film playing was tacked between the entrances. (Y/N) scanned over the gory scene, realizing it was a scary movie that had been advertised through the month of October and was released Halloween night. It was one she was planning on avoiding if she was being honest (blood didn't make her feel too well, and if the ads and commercials were accurate, there was going to be a lot of that coating the scenes). She was sure the horror stricken face of the 'final girl' printed on the poster emulated just what she looked like.

No wonder he had grown smug after she scared him in the car. He knew he was going to get her back, tenfold.

But, there was no way she was going to tell Harry any of this. He had clearly been so excited all night about seeing this, and she wasn't going to rain on his parade. She was going to have fun, she decided, even if she was going to close her eyes all throughout.

"Y'alright?" Harry asked when (Y/N)'s feet unknowingly stuttered as they approached the entrance.

Whipping her head up to face him, she schooled her features into something much less terrified. "Yeah, sorry. Just can't walk sometimes I guess," she ended with an airy laugh, hoping he bought the more than ridiculous excuse she mustered.

Luckily, Harry only laughed off her words, something affectionate tinting his eyes as he shook his head. (Y/N) tried not to drag her feet as she followed him into the theater. Emerging into the main room, she realized he had gone all out for her, having picked a viewing with the more expensive recliner style seating that had just been installed in their small cinema. He led her with confidence to one of the upper rows, counting off the golden plaques with numbers etched inside to a pair in the center of their chosen row.

"These okay?" Harry whispered, "I was able to pick them when I bought the tickets, so I hope you like them."

Despite the new set of nerves climbing up her spine, (Y/N) felt a smile cling to her features. It wasn't new information, but she was still struck every time he did something to reveal just how sweet he was. He wanted everything to be perfect for her, even down to their seating at the theater.

"This is perfect, Harry," she answered, voice quiet as she shuffled beside him to their seats.

The timing was perfect as they settled into their plush seats, the lights lowering and previews starting only moments after. The theater wasn't as full as she would have expected for a Friday night, but she was more than grateful that there weren't going to be rows of people hearing her scream when she inevitably got scared. With the lowered lights, her nerves only increased, her mind going a little haywire at the childish fears that somehow the movie would come to life and be enacted right in front of her now that it was dark. But, she was also hyper aware of Harry's heat beside her as she unintentionally gravitated towards him.

Only a few others filtered in with arms full of concessions by the time the previews started winding down. (Y/N)'s attention was directed squarely ahead, a plan of action storming through her head as she tried to figure out how she was going to get through this movie without giving away the fact she was going to have nightmares that night. With her mind swirling, she almost didn't catch Harry's hand he splayed out on the armrest between them, palm up with a faux casual set to his fingers.

He wanted to hold her hand.

If she knew anything about Harry, she was sure he was using the cover of the darkness to get away with the move he considered bold. The lowered lights would conceal the pink of his cheeks with the screen giving him something to look at instead of anticipating her reaction with a burning gaze.

(Y/N)'s own eyes fell to her lap with a smile blooming across her lips. The opening sequence detailing all of the companies and production names involved with the film started playing as she reached to take his hand in hers. She hoped her hand wasn't sweaty and he didn't notice the tremors that worked through the appendage.

His hand was warm in her own, his palm span larger than hers as he curled it around her. He hesitated for only a beat before slipping his fingers into the spaces between her own, lacing them together in a delicate hold. With her hand on top, she was granted the perfect view of his freshly polished thumb running along the outside of her own.

From the corner of her eye, she could see Harry's smiling face illuminated.

She relaxed into her seat, feeling a tension leave her muscles now that Harry's fingers were curled between hers for the first time. The picture perfect beginning was being projected on the screen in front of them, allowing (Y/N) a moment to settle before she was sure to grow stiff in her seat and try any distraction in the book to keep her mind off the brewing horror story. She wasn't sure if he meant to, but Harry pulsed his hand around hers with his fingers flexing into a comforting cage.

Yeah, (Y/N) decided, she could handle this.

As the film played out, (Y/N) was proud she was able to follow along with the story for the first act. She watched as the family moved into their new home, a history of which the realtor was reluctant to share, but the onscreen wife was in love with the rustic charm. She was able to stomach the faux tense moments, seconds of ratcheting music before the scare was revealed to be nothing other than one of the children playing. All the while Harry held her hand tightly, as if he knew she was on edge. It wasn't until the unusual happenings on screen were taken up a notch that (Y/N) began to divert her eyes.

The children started speaking to invisible people in their closets and the wife in the film refused to believe the husband's assumptions about spirits living in their home, making (Y/N) nervous every time a character made it to the basement or a trio of noises was heard in the background. She made a conscious choice to divert her eyes to the sides of the theater or the front collection of rows after things started appearing in the mirrors around the home. She just hoped Harry didn't notice the way she clutched his hand that much tighter every time she anticipated a scary scene.

Every time something did happen, a jumpscare or an insidious revelation, (Y/N) knew when it was safe to look when the music settled and the other viewers let out sighs of relief after gasps of terror. But, during a particular scene, when the music didn't slow and it seemed everyone around them was watching with bated breath, she couldn't quell her curiosity. She knew it was a bad idea, but she wanted to know what was happening; though curiosity killed the cat, wasn't it said that satisfaction brought it back? It wouldn't hurt her to know, right?

(Y/N) peeked her eyes to the big screen just in time to see a rotted face pop up in the face of the wife with a harrowing scream being released from her gaping maw. As expected, (Y/N) jumped in her seat and clutched Harry's hand tighter than she had all night. A breathless scream escaped her throat, the sound coming out like a whimper as she curled away from the film. Her free hand fluttered towards her throat, pulse thrumming wildly under the delicate skin.

By the time she was back in the present, the sound of blood rushing past her ears calming to a barely there trickle, the scene had ended. If she had only waited a few more seconds, she wouldn't have to be worried about nightmares of that creature following her home tonight. At least Harry had picked some seats high above; there weren't many people around to hear exactly how startled she was.

"Y'alright?" Harry laughed into her ear.

It took everything (Y/N) had not to startle again at the sound of his voice so close to her. He squeezed her hand in his as he waited, the ghost of his smile radiating against her skin.

She nodded her head, eyes squirreling from the screen to the rafters above in hopes of tricking him into thinking she was paying attention. "Yeah, I just wasn't expecting that."

Another breathy laugh fanned over her cheek as Harry's smile expanded, "Y'didn't see that coming? It was so obvious," he teased, voice hushed as the wife on screen recovered from the heady scare she had. (Y/N) felt her pain.

She rolled her lips between her teeth as she tried to smile at his nudging, but (Y/N) couldn't manage. "I... I haven't been watching," she admitted, unsure of why she muttered that truth when she had been trying so hard to keep up with him.

Keeping her eyes stuck ahead, she was only halfway aware of Harry's waning smile as his energy shifted beside her. The hand he had wrapped around hers stayed firm though she could feel his muscles growing slack. "Why not?"

The family on screen shifted into a new kind of normal, the parents tip-toeing around the specters they'd seen with the children now refusing to play with the invisible people in the closet. She was thankful for the story stealing the attention of the other patrons and rows long gaps between the next closest couple. She didn't want anyone else to hear the childish fears she had surrounding fictional horror.

"Scary movies are... hard for me. I get scared easily," she murmured.

A beat passed as the music accompanying the film changed as one of the twin daughters began to creep through the storage area beneath the stairs. (Y/N) didn't bother to hide the fact she shifted her gaze to one of the chairs stationed in front of them.

"(Y/N), why didn't y'tell me? We don't have to watch this, 's okay," he mumbled.

"No, no, I'm okay," she protested with a shake of her head and a squeeze to his hand, "I just looked at the wrong time, but we can stay—it's okay."

She was sure he had a counterargument settling on his lips, but instead he rolled them between his teeth as he shifted to sit back in his chair. (Y/N) felt his eyes drift from the screen to her before finally settling in soft caresses over her profile. He squeezed her hand before gently slipping his fingers out from between hers and leaving her palm cold.

He nudged her arm off the rest before pulling it up to remove the partition. With the press of a button, their seats reclined to take advantage of the extra space given in the theater. Once he was positioned the way he wanted, he reached for her wrist, fingers looping around the bone before mumbling, "C'mere."

(Y/N) shuffled close to him, cuddling underneath the arm he offered. The position felt reminiscent of the night of the Halloween party, snuggling on the trampoline out back. He was just as warm and sturdy as she remembered through her sleep-tinted and vodka-scented haze. His cheek came to rest softly on the top of her head while his arm hooked around her middle in a comforting weight. He was taking care of her.

"Is this alright?" he mumbled, his lips brushing her hair as his voice fanned across the crown of her head.

She nodded her head gently, aware of the tip of his nose brushing her scalp, "Thank you."

Searching blindly, (Y/N) reached for his free hand, hoping to clasp it in her own. She missed the warm weight of it in her palm and the reassuring squeezes he administered. He freely gave her reign over his hand, allowing her to bundle his one between her two.

"If I had known y'didn't like this kind of stuff, I wouldn't have picked this, (Y/N). 'M sorry, really," he mumbled into her hair, his arm around her waist tightening.

"Don't worry, please," she whispered, "I'm still having a good time with you, I promise."

Though (Y/N) made it a point to keep her eyes from the screen, she knew something eerie was beginning to ramp up on screen. Harry's arm around her pulsed, curling her into a prone position against his chest with her face tucked into his shoulder

"Don't watch if y'don't want to, okay? Jus' hang onto me," he mumbled, his words felt against her skin more than she heard them.

(Y/N) gratefully took his invitation, smushing her cheek into his chest the second she realized the turn the scene was taking. Harry kept his arm tense around her form, the curve of her waist conforming delicately to the cup of his palm as he held her. She wasn't sure how long she had hid in his chest, only aware of the panicked screams and eerie silence following that blared from the theater's speakers, before things went quiet with the sweeping music stilling.

"'S over," Harry mumbled into her hair, curling his fingers tightly around her waist before beginning to unfurl and peel her from the cage of his chest.

When she peeked towards the screen, she found that the scary scene she was avoiding was over, leaving a small reprieve for her. He made sure she knew when it was safe to breathe again, keeping her tucked against him until she was free to look. It made her heart bloat as she remembered the sound of his voice ringing through her ears amidst the chaos of the thundering music.

A ritual was created then, leaving Harry to warn her when something scary was gearing up to happen so she could cuddle against his chest and avert her eyes to their joined hands or distract herself with the thread of his shirt. When it was deemed safe, he would offer a small indication that the scene had ended, even waiting a couple of moments to ensure there wasn't a residual scare waiting to happen after the viewer was eased. (Y/N) was grateful to him, squeezing his hand in silent gratitude with affectionate brushes of her fingertips against the back of his hand.

Harry held her tighter, the strong build of his arm behind her acting as a cradle when what she figured to be the climax began to play. As far as she could remember, the wife was now supposed to somehow fight off the ghost and demons that were plaguing their home now that the rest of the family was put into comatose states at the hands of the unseen forces. At the first glimpse of a shadowy figure in the background of a shrouded shot, she curled into Harry's chest.

She knew it would be a while before Harry gave her the all clear, so she focused her attention on the paint coloring his nails. She could only catch glimpses of the true hue of the polish when the screen illuminated her surroundings, but she was nonetheless entranced with the view of his hands.

"'S almost done," he mumbled to her, "I'll tell y'when we get to the happy ending."

(Y/N) was pretty sure she just found the best and only way she was going to watch scary movies from here on out. If it was always like this, horror was going to become her new favorite genre.

After Harry gave her the signal and she got to cleanse her mind with the happy ending of the reunited family and the allusion to the next chapter of their lives, his hold around her lingered as the credits began to roll. (Y/N) indulged in the few extra moments with his touch before the lights came up, causing Harry to reluctantly peel himself from around her.

She felt cold without his arm around her waist and his chest under her cheek, as her vision adjusted to the lowlights. Harry took a gentle hold of her hand, catching her attention as she gazed up at him. He looked dreamy under the amber tinged lighting, the wisps of his curls something like a halo with his skin highlighted in warmth. She happily followed after him as he led her out of the theater, being the last stragglers to follow the group out.

"'M sorry I made y'go see that," Harry repeated out in the hall of the cinema, the overhead lights seeming brighter after being in the dark for so long, "If I had known, I would have picked something completely different. I should have asked, 'm sorry."

(Y/N) looked up from her feet to find Harry with his gaze set on the retro carpet under their feet, cheeks colored the customary pink she associated with him. She squeezed his hand and gently bumped her shoulder against his own.

"It's fine, Harry—really," she insisted, stepping out into the cool air outside the theater. She could still feel the ghost of his arm looped around her middle, a smile tugging at her lips. "I actually really liked that one."

Harry let out an airy laugh as he escorted them towards his parked car, mumbling something teasing about how he could totally tell she liked it with the way she couldn't stop watching. She knew he thought she was joking, only trying to make him feel better with her last comment, but she knew it was the truth.

Even if her heart did quake every time the music thundered and a piercing scream emanated from one of the actors, she wouldn't give up the experience of being with Harry through the whole thing.

—————

The drive to the restaurant was short, leaving (Y/N) little time to miss Harry's hand wrapped in hers as he drove. Parking out front, they got a perfect view of the small patio that was so romantically lit with strings of fairy lights draped over the pergola. With the help of the large windows that spanned from floor to ceiling over the front of the venue, she was able to see inside where booths and tables were filled with couples and families—a few friends she recognized from campus were even tucked into the far corners. The same hazy lighting that twinkled outside was carried into the restaurant, setting everything aglow under faux candlelight.

She was giddy to join the scene as she pulled open her door. She wanted to be a part of the couples that could be seen from the street on a date with the cutest boy she'd ever seen. When she rounded the front of his car to join Harry waiting on the sidewalk, her smile only brightened. Without thought, she instinctively stretched her hand in his direction, her fingertips brushing against the back of his hand.

Harry's hand lingered around her's without matching his palm to the curve of her own and slipping his fingers between the gaps like she had thought he would. It wasn't until they were paces away from the door did he speak up, "Is it okay if I...?" The tip of his pinky stretched and just barely hooked around her own, a gentle caress that acted as a ghost with the way it so quickly dissipated.

He was too sweet for his own good.

(Y/N) grabbed his hand, twining their fingers together herself. "You know, you don't have to ask."

He lifted his shoulders in a shy shrug, cheeks washed a sweet red. "I jus' don't want to do anything y'don't want. I want to make sure before I touch you."

A sheepish smile of her own stretched across her lips, rivaling that of Harry's dimpled curl. "Well, I like it when you touch me, so you don't have to worry."

She hadn't thought it possible, but Harry's blush burned brighter and trailed down his neck and to the tips of his ears at her words. If he wasn't careful, (Y/N)'s heart was going to completely melt with how much of a sweetheart he was.

Maneuvering himself, Harry managed to keep his hand clasped in (Y/N)'s while opening the door to allow her first entry. She happily pulled him after her, immersing them in the romantic vision she had seen when they pulled up. A line two deep was queued at the register with a small sign off to the side detailing customers to seat themselves.

"Do y'want to find us a table while I order?" Harry mumbled to her, his thumb running a soothing course on the outside of her hand.

(Y/N) gazed at the menu display above the heads of the attendants, rolling her lips between her teeth. "But you already paid for the movie tickets. I don't want you to pay for this, too."

He seemed to have expected her small protest when he looked to her with a determined set in his jaw though his eyes remained velvet soft. "I want to do this for you, (Y/N). Please let me."

A beat passed as (Y/N) considered his words. She felt guilty asking him to pay for all of this, alongside the coffee he brought for her almost regularly, and the tutoring lessons he gave her for weeks completely free of charge. She didn't want to create an imbalance between them that made Harry the one that had to shoulder all of these things when she wanted to treat him well, too.

"I've wanted to take y'out for a long time, (Y/N). Let me make this special, please."

Harry's final plea broke through. How was she supposed to say no to something like that?

"Okay," she relented, a crooked smile moulding to her mouth, "Thank you."

A proud smile took home on Harry's face, his chest seemingly growing broader and an inch added to his height as he glowed under the responsibility she passed off. She rattled off her order to him (just a simple bowl of buttered noodles with extra parmesan cheese) before giving his hand a squeeze and setting off to find a suitable table. She glanced back at him once before entering the main dining area, finding him with his proud smile still stretching along his lips and the hand she had been holding cradled in the other against his chest.

If she wasn't gone for him before, she's sure she was now.

Finding the perfect booth tucked away in the corner of the dining area, (Y/N) fished her phone from her crochet bag and scrolled to find Ny's text thread. She started off with the location of the restaurant, keeping her promise of sharing her whereabouts just in case, only to follow up with quick messages before Harry came to find her.

Naomi!!!! he's so cute it makes me want to cry:(

he took me to a scary movie and held me the whole time can u believe that:(

Barely a second passed before the status below the blue text was changed to Read at 8:24pm and the familiar grey bubble housing three dots popped up.

Ny 🪴

Omg what movie did you see?? He didn't know you don't like scary movies???

He HELD you?!!!!!??? (Y/N)!!!!!!!!!!

Before she could craft a response, Harry startled her by approaching their secluded table. He shuffled his feet nervously before taking the seat across from her, dropping a small card with an order number on it at the edge of the table and a bottle of apple juice in front of her with a plain water staying in his hands.

"I wasn't sure what to y'wanted to drink, so I jus' picked an apple juice. I hope that's alright," Harry explained, "But, if not, I also grabbed a water for myself that y'could have."

Her eyes lit up as she dropped her phone in favor of grabbing for the drink, "This is perfect, Harry, thank you!"

That proud smile she was sure was going to be etched into her memory by the end of the night returned to his features, dimples thumbed into his cheeks. She could see he was gearing up to say something, his chest expanding with a breath before he was cut off at the magnified buzzing of her phone against the glass table.

Ny 🪴

Omg have you kissed yet?!!!??!!

Please tell me you've kissed him

By the time (Y/N) tucked her phone away, she could feel a heat having gathered beneath her cheeks, hoping she'd been quick enough that Harry hadn't caught sight of her roommate's line of questioning. Her hopes were dashed when she glanced at him from where she was struggling to unlatch her bag and throw the device inside, finding him with his cheeks blazing a bright red with his eyes directed on her hands.

"Sorry," (Y/N) laughed, feigning an air of lightheartedness though she was moments away from dying from embarrassment, "She just gets excited about this stuff."

Harry rubbed his knuckle under the tip of his nose, his hand obscuring the growing smile that threatened to split his features. "'S okay," he spoke around the smile, his teeth coming to trap his bottom lip between his teeth as if to contain the curl.

His nails were painted an alternating pattern of a glistening bright pink and honeyed blue, giving (Y/N) something to focus on other than the stare of his eyes from across the table.

"So, what did you think about the movie?" she settled on, changing the subject, "You keep asking me how I felt, but I want to know what you think."

He shrugged, relaxing some into the plush, eggplant colored booth seat. He fiddled with the cap to his water, twisting and untwisting the plastic though he kept his gaze fixed on her. "It was good, I liked it. But, I still feel bad."

(Y/N) let out a sigh, her shoulders rolling back as she canted her head. "Harry, really, I'm fine," she insisted, "It's not a big deal at all, I promise. It scared me for a minute, but you made it better so it doesn't matter."

"Yeah?" he voiced, tone soft and shy as his dimples made a starring appearance in the apples of his cheeks.

Before she could form any response, one of the attendants from the register dropped off their food. She distributed it with a smile though she glanced towards the growing line up front before disappearing off with a bid for them to enjoy their meal. Now that food was in front of her, (Y/N) finally realized just how hungry she was, and Harry felt the same if the way he tucked into his bowl was anything to go by.

A comfortable lull in conversation followed as they focused on their meals. Moments passed before (Y/N) paused to sip from her apple juice, the edge of her hunger having dissipated now that she had more than the half sandwich she had for lunch in her tummy.

"You know," she started, replacing the cap on her juice with a fond smile dressing her features, "Ny used to work here when we were freshmen. I would harass her to bring it to our Friday night Bio lecture after she got off from the lunch rush. We had Ms. Barnes, and since she didn't allow food, we would just sit underneath our desks when she wasn't looking and eat as much as we could before she noticed we were missing."

(Y/N) let out a laugh as she finished, hoping to elicit the same noise from Harry. Instead, he nodded his head with an airy chuckle and a small smile on his lips. "I know, that's why I thought to bring y'here."

A furrow cinched (Y/N)'s brow. "How did you already know?"

Harry's smile dropped as he mimicked her expression, his helping of pad Thai noodles being forgotten as he directed his attention to her. "Y'told me, remember?"

"When did I tell you?"

A sly smile tugged at Harry's lips now that seemed to be putting something together (Y/N) was still lost on. "Y'don't remember?"

"No, that's why I'm asking."

He shook his head and twirled a bite of his noodles around his fork, "Y'told me at the Halloween party. We were on the trampoline before y'fell asleep."

Blood rushed to fill (Y/N)'s cheeks, her mouth dropping open in a silent gape. "I didn't think I was that drunk that I don't remember telling you things! What else did I say?"

At her question, Harry softened immensely. His shoulders held a soft set with the line of his jaw staying sturdy though the bone was now draped in velvet. The lily pad of his eyes scanned over her features in soft caresses. When he looked at her like that, she hoped she only told him good things.

—————

As Harry pulled up to her apartment complex, (Y/N) realized the moment she had been dreading all night had finally come.

The entire evening had felt so natural. While there were those first date jitters that followed her well into the first half of their movie, nothing was easier than falling into sync with Harry and allowing the date to take its course. Nothing was forced during dinner; the silences were warm with the avenues of conversation flowing openly between them. If she had known it was going to be this easy, she would have plucked up the courage and asked him out herself weeks ago.

Now, as Harry opened her door for her and walked her to the main entrance of her building, she was sad she was going to have to say goodbye.

"I had a really good time tonight, Harry," she confessed, pulsing her hand that was wrapped around his, "Thank you for everything."

A sheepish smile took his features. She liked to think he was just as reluctant for the night to end.

"Of course," he started, maneuvering himself to stand at her front as she was stationed with her back to the front doors, "I've—uh—I've wanted to go out with you for a while now, so 'm really happy y'had a good time with me, (Y/N)."

He was a dream, (Y/N) decided. There was no way that someone like him could be real.

"I always have fun with you." She spoke around her smile, hoping he realized just how honestly she meant those words.

This would be the moment in the script where they would bid each other goodnight with a promise to call one another at some point to see each other in class. (Y/N) tried her best not to deflate at the thought of Harry's goodbye. Maybe she could convince him to walk her up?

"Can I walk y'up?" Harry asked as if reading her mind, a gentle pulse of his hand being delivered around hers, "I don't want to say bye, yet." He ended with an airy laugh as if he were trying to soften his admittance in case she declined his offer.

"I was actually just going to ask if you wanted to walk me up, anyway," (Y/N) confessed, watching as Harry's cheeks pinked.

She led him through the building and to the elevator, messaging Ny that she would be up in a couple of minutes. She was sure her roommate was going to be on the other side of their door listening intently.

"Ny's probably going to be right by the door," (Y/N) whispered as they exited the elevator and moved towards her apartment at the end of the hall.

"Yeah?" Harry laughed, looking down at her with his softened eyes.

"Mhm," she hummed, a playful roll of her eyes at the thought of her best friend, "She's obsessed. She was acting like she was going on this date with us when I was getting ready today."

"That would explain that text, then?" Harry laughed, referencing the peek he got at her phone during dinner.

"You got it," (Y/N) smiled, playfully heaving an exasperated sigh hopes of hiding the glow that filled her cheeks at the mention.

A beat passed as they made it to her door, (Y/N) coming to stand with her back to the wood and Harry in front of her. He rolled his lips between his teeth, peeking over her shoulder at the door behind her before returning to her features.

"Do y'think she's waiting for you, right now?"

"Maybe, why?"

Sucking in a deep breath, Harry fixed his gaze to match her's in unwavering contact. "I jus'... I wanted to know if I had more time with you."

His eyes drifted from her own and traced over her features. When he dipped towards her lips with caution, she realized the real reason he was asking. (Y/N) felt like the air had been sucked from her lungs, her mouth falling into an unconscious gape as she stared at him with what she was sure were heart-shaped eyes. The only thing that anchored her to the moment, keeping her from floating away on the pink tufted clouds that filled her head, was his gentle grip on her hand.

"Is it okay—," Harry started, stumbling over his murmured words, "Can I kiss you?"

(Y/N) figured she'd show him her answer instead of telling him.

She slipped her hand out from his and extended her height to the tips of her toes as (Y/N) wrapped her arms around Harry's neck. He moved pliantly every which way she needed, ducking his head as he settled his hands on the soft of her waist. Tipping her head back, (Y/N) matched her lips to the raspberry pair of his own. Slotting together, the plush of her bottom lip was fit between his two.

He moved gently against her lips, his kiss being just as sweet and gentle as she knew he would be. His hands on her waist kept her steady as a shiver ran up her spine at the knowledge that she was kissing Harry. Her sweet, shy, physics extraordinaire had her huddled against her front door with his lips soft like pillows against her own as he guided her gently through the contact. She was going to have so much to tell Ny when she got inside.

The kiss was kept innocently short, only lasting a few beats before (Y/N) pulled away and landed at her natural height flat on her feet. She slowly unraveled her arms from around him, her fingertips skimming his arms before falling limply at her sides. She felt faint as she looked at him, completely enveloped in the moment with him. Harry looked to her with a slight swell to his smiling lips.

He looked at her with stars in his eyes, the twinkling lights trailing over her features with instinctive softness. "Goodnight, (Y/N)," he said quietly, breathless.

"Goodnight, Harry."

(Y/N) fell back against her door with her smiling bottom lip trapped between her teeth as she watched Harry make his fumbling exit. He stuttered over his feet though his eyes were glued to his steps. More than once, he paused the viewing of his feet to look at her over his shoulder, his smile never once wavering while his cheeks flamed a bright red. She waved at him before he stepped into the elevator, causing the blush on Harry's cheeks to reach to the top of his ears.

Once he was gone, (Y/N) let herself in the apartment. As expected, she was greeted by her blonde-haired roommate with a giddy smile on her face.

Before (Y/N) even had a chance to lock the door behind her, Ny was fluttering around her. "Did you kiss him?!"

All (Y/N) had to do was shoot her a small smile with her brows raised.

"You did, didn't you!"

She couldn't wait to relive the night and tell Ny all about it.

—————

The whole drive home after dropping (Y/N) off, Harry was sure his head was going to pop with the rate of the thoughts swirling inside or his heart was going to burst with the fact it was filled to capacity. He could barely breathe, still swathed in the moment that he kissed her.

When he got home, he was jittery with adrenaline. He'd never been forward enough to kiss on the first date, and the first time he did was with (Y/N). The thought was enough to keep his hands shaky and his stomach tight with butterflies.

Though he felt a bit skeezy to be considering the idea, he needed to work out the energy lingering in his system, and he knew the best way to do that was to lock himself in the spare room he used for filming. He needed to film a premium video anyway.

The best part about making prerecorded videos, was the fact Harry got a chance to theme them. He got to build a narrative around his actions instead of playing solely off of what the viewers were requesting like a live show. He got to be self-indulgent.

Tonight, he was feeling particularly soft, he decided. Thoughts of his dream girl drifted through his head, making his pants tighten with nothing but affection causing the blood to rush south. Tonight, he wanted to play the role of a doting boyfriend in the premium reel, taking care of his lover and indulging in any fantasy she wanted. Sitting at his computer, Harry typed out a teaser for the weekend's premium, alluding to the romantic nature of the video he was set to film in a few moments, linking his various premium platforms at the end.

After setting up his camera and settling on the direction he wanted to take, Harry let the memory of his kiss with (Y/N) wash over him, taking him somewhere in the clouds with the camera capturing his journey.

—————

(Y/N) had to push her roommate into going to bed after she finished her recounting of the date, noticing her drooping eyes despite her insistence that she wanted to hear every detail. Now that she was alone in her own bedroom, (Y/N) could finally address the jitters that lingered in her system like butterflies rattling her veins.

She couldn't believe Harry actually kissed her.

Judging from the shy demeanor he carried with him and the fact he asked permission before he even held her hand, she figured she was going to get in a couple more dates before stealing a kiss. She couldn't get the feel of his lips off her mind, her tummy rolling into pleasurable knots at the memory of his hands on her waist.

She wished she could have Harry himself with her, but as (Y/N) flopped onto her bed, she figured she was going to have to work out this extra energy without him.

Since the private conversation a couple of weeks ago she had with H, she'd been much more lenient about checking his page. If she was in the mood, his site was the first she checked instead of dancing around while pretending she didn't know her endgame. That's why she didn't hesitate to pull up his page on her phone, finding a new post pinned on his profile.

A short video was posted along with a teasing caption about what kind of lover his viewers thought he was. The comment was punctuated with links to his platforms, but (Y/N) couldn't draw her eyes from the six second video that repeated once it was finished. A romantic ambiance radiated through the set up; soft lighting was achieved through the delicate neon strips that adorned his background and the hazy filter placed over the frame. It was edited to show only bits and pieces of himself—the weave of his sweater, his glowing skin, and his painted nails scratching at the muscles of his abdomen being a few of the flashes before disappearing.

Seeing as he had nothing new to share, she liked the post and decided to calm down instead and actually get a good night's sleep. After changing into her pajamas and forcing herself to drink enough water to cool down, (Y/N) heard a buzz come from her phone.

The grey notification bar detailed a new message from the cam-site. (Y/N) didn't have to wonder too hard about who it was from before swiping it open. H's thread now held a new message. He forwarded his new post to her, leaving his private message to her to follow after.

treatpeoplewkisses: are you excited sweetheart?

She could only imagine the tone he would have used to ask her that. She hadn't expected him to notice her small interaction with the post, but she wasn't going to pass up any opportunity to talk to him.

sunflowerssweetheart: it looks really good h

sunflowersweetheart: makes me wish I was on one of ur premiums

Wrapping herself up in her comforter, she awaited his response. She hoped it didn't seem like she was egging him to give her free content or to make him feel bad that she wasn't subscribed to any of his platforms; she was only being honest. The teaser looked really good, and she wished she was able to afford the whole thing. But, she was happy with what she got from him now, there was no need to be greedy for more.

treatpeoplewkisses: don't worry about any of the premiums sweetheart just keep an eye on your inbox for me this weekend

Before she could message back, the green dot beside his user that declared him online vanished. (Y/N) couldn't help the growing smile that threatened her lips. She was definitely going to be watching her notifications this weekend.

—————

"I can carry that for you."

(Y/N) looked up from where she was fumbling with her textbook (the one time she remembered to bring it, Stanfill didn't reference it for even a second) and bookbag, only to find Harry with his hand out towards her and a soft smile on his face. Her own cheeks split as her lips curled into a bubbly grin, still getting used to the way Harry doted on her.

"Are you sure? You're already carrying your own stuff, I don't want to pile more on you," she countered, finding his own textbook tucked under his arm with his bag slung over his shoulder.

"I don't mind." With the way he looked at her, she knew he was being genuine.

It was her turn to feel her cheeks fill with warmth as she passed along her supplies to Harry. He happily took on the responsibility, holding the pair of books to his chest with her bag overshadowing his on his shoulder. With his free hand, he tentatively took her hand in his. He was getting much better at touching her without so much hesitancy, though she could still feel his eyes on her face as if gauging for her reaction in case of rejection.

"Thank you, Harry," she smiled, locking their fingers together as he escorted her out of the physics hall.

"Of course," he bit his bottom lip between his teeth, a sheepish pink tint coloring the apples of his cheeks, "Did y'still want to come over and study tonight?"

Though (Y/N) was no longer needing tutor sessions for the retake exam, Harry still offered to study with her for their current units so she could keep on pace going forward. Looking up at him, she found him with his gaze on their feet, with his glasses he forgot to take off after class still perched on his faintly-freckled nose. She was sure she wanted to go to his apartment that night, but she wasn't sold on the idea of studying when she had much better ideas.

"I don't know if I want to study, but I was hoping I could still come over," she sung, her voice lilting around the words. She playfully bumped her shoulder against Harry's hoping to draw his dimples into his cheeks.

Harry was the sterner of the two of them when it came to academics, and he wanted to do well for her. He wanted to keep her on track with physics, especially since the subject was not her strong suit, but (Y/N) had made it her mission to show him the joys of putting off anything science based in favor of cuddling on the couch while whispering to one another despite being the only ones in the apartment.

"Yeah," he nodded, dimples thumbed into his cheeks, "I'd like it if y'still came over."

When she nudged him gently with her hip, he let out an airy laugh, his hand flexing around her's.

This was how it had been for the two weeks since their first date. Harry was ever the doting gentleman. After every class and every coffee date they had, he walked her to her car with his hand gently entwined in her's. He still spoke softly to her, his attention stuck to her like a moth to a flame as he prompted her for any detail of her life she hadn't already shared with him. They were edging towards a place of familiarity while the butterflies still ran rampant through (Y/N)'s system.

Harry was special, she decided. She'd never felt like this before, especially so soon. In the past, it'd take months to get to the stage of wanting to be with the other person everyday and indulge at nights at their house without feeling awkward in the surroundings. With Harry, everything was softer, gentler. It was easy with him. She couldn't get enough of him.

Even Ny was smitten with him—with the relationship that was growing between her best friend and the sweetest guy on campus. He was still delicately shy every time they spent time as a group, Naomi eagerly included. He waited for (Y/N) to initiate or pull him into conversation before piping up so as to not take over or step on anyone's toes, and touched her softly out of view of the others as he wasn't sure how she felt about PDA. He was respectful, Ny has told (Y/N) one night after he'd gone home.

Nothing was more natural than being with Harry.

"Did y'want to stay for dinner tonight, then?"

The sound of Harry's voice pulled (Y/N) from her rose-tinted thoughts. She tuned into her surroundings, finding them coming to her parked car with Harry looking at her with his brows raised.

"Sorry, what?"

"I was wondering if y'wanted to come over for dinner with me tonight," he explained, "I was planning on making pizza."

She perked up at the sound of tonight's menu, bouncing on her feet as she looked to him with a beaming smile. "I'd love to! Can I help you with the pizza?"

"Of course, y'can. Y'didn't think I was going to make it all myself, did you?" Harry teased, letting go of her hand after a slight squeeze. He rounded her car, popping open the unlocked passenger door to start sorting her belongings for her. "I'll text y'when I get off work, and then y'can come over, if that's alright. I shouldn't be too long, 'm only scheduled for a couple of hours."

"Sounds good to me," she sighed, reaching for the knit of his cardigan once he finished putting away her things. She pulled her to him, feeling her features soften as he gazed down at her. "Should I bring my physics stuff tonight?"

She watched as his features gained a dusting of light pink coloring, the white of his teeth peeking out as he bit at his bottom lip to hold back the smile threatening to curl his features. He gave a gentle shake of his head, his curls flopping over his forehead. "No, jus' bring you."

"Good, because that's all I was planning on bringing anyway," she laughed, shuffling closer to him as he set his hands on the flare of her hips.

He looked to her with a request for permission in his eyes. The question was left unanswered for only a second before she stood on her tip-toes and tugged Harry to match her level. Tipping her head, she pressed her lips gently against his own in an innocent kiss. She could feel his smile against her lips, the sweetness permeating the contact and making (Y/N)'s heartbeat skip like a butterfly's wings.

"I'll see you soon, okay?" Harry mumbled, pulling back just far enough to speak before pressing a single delicate kiss to her lips. He released her to stand at her normal height, the warmth of his hands slipping down her sides before they fell to his sides, "Text me when y'get home safe."

"I will, Harry. See you soon," she chirped before edging towards the driver's side door, "Have fun at work."

She saw the traces of a blush work at the base of his neck before he nodded his head, giving her a bright smile as he bid her goodbye.

—————

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 108 31
❝ "God, Lestrange, you're so fucking annoying, you know that?" "Oh, I'm annoying?! You make me want to pitch myself off the astronomy tower! I fuckin...
109K 453 101
18.6K 551 6
harry has a lot of secrets and has perfected the art of being alone. y/n likes to wear bows in her hair and tries harder than anyone harry has ever k...
27.1K 253 15
Yn Potter × Fred Weasley