Freaks: Year One

By CuteK86

All of a sudden, the compartment door opened, and a person came in and slammed it shut. Jasper looked at the... More

A/N
I Am Not A Freak
Diagon Alley
The Sorting
New Family
The History Of Flying
Crinus Muto!
An Encounter
Herbology
Unwanted Attention
Some Things Just Needed To Stay A Secret
Dark Forces
Vinegar
Inside
Quidditch And Surveys
The House Next Door
Let Me Help You!
Don't Give Dorothy A Bat
A Way To Get Revenge
A Rainbow Of Puffs
A Memory Was Missing
The Opening Match
Halloween
A Symbol Of Friendship
Don't Let The Spiders Bite
Snow Days
The Christmas Party
He Taught Me The Truth
I Will Never Forget You
A Good Christmas
Different Together
Magic Stealer
A Close One
Another Enemy
Rejected
The Frog Murderer
Your Duty
A Bad Influence
Worries
Flying Lessons
Terrified For The Future
Nightmares
Take A Break
Happy Birthday
Family Issues
A Very Special Owl
This Stupid Holiday
A Bad Kisser
Abandoned
You Need To Be Normal
He Is All I Have
A Decision
Tradition
The Month Of May
QUACK!
He's My Little Brother, Not A Duck!
He Was Still A Kid
More Similar Than They Thought
You Are Wanted
How A Letter Can Change Your Life

Platform 9 And 3/4

280 14 71
By CuteK86

It was September 1st.

It was the day Jasper had been waiting for ever since he found out he was a wizard.

It was truly a shock that his parents let him go, well not really he guessed, thinking on it a bit more. They liked the idea of getting rid of Jasper for the school year, one less stupid child in the house as they said to him.

The problem was that he was deemed a freak by his parents because he was magical, but he could deal with his parents. The problem was his brothers. He didn't want to abandon them. He felt like going to Hogwarts meant that he was running away from the abuse he faced from his parents, and leaving his brothers to suffer. He was actually going to tell McGonagall he didn't want to go until Toby pulled him aside.

"Jasper, you can't pass this opportunity up."

"But what about you, and Francis, and Ethan, and Edgar." Jasper said. "I don't want to leave you."

Toby gave a small smile. "Don't worry, if you're magical, I am sure we are too. We can take care of ourselves, don't give this up."

"But-" Jasper started.

"Jaz." Said Toby. "Do something for yourself for once, this is good for you." Jasper still looked hesitant, and Toby sighed, taking a different route that would convince his brother to go. "And for us, if you learn how to control your magic, you can protect us."

Jasper nodded realizing that he could help his brothers, and protect them if he knew how to control his magic. "Okay." He said. "I'll go."

Toby smiled.

So here he was at the train station. His mother, and brothers had dropped him off. Jasper had instructions on where to go, and his ticket so his mother just left him.

He picked up his trunk, and started to walk along the train station. He went between platforms 9, and 10, as it said the platform he needed to go to was platform 9, and ¾. He looked between them, but saw no sign saying platform 9, and ¾. He sighed, what kind of platform was that? There was no such thing.

He sighed looking around at all the people going to work, hoping to see anyone who had the same ticket as him, or someone who knew about the Wizarding World.

He was just about to give up when he saw a girl about his age running toward the platform he was near, and behind her was her older sister. "Slow down!" Yelled her sister. "I know you're excited, but careful, we don't want any muggles seeing us."

Jasper clicked. Muggles was a word he had heard before used at Diagon Alley. He approached the 11 year girl, and her older sister. "Hi." He started. "I was wondering, do you know where platform 9, and ¾ is?"

The older girl gave a warm smile, and nodded. She was wearing a blue, and bronze tie. "Yes, you have to go between platform 9, and 10."

Jasper looked at the wall she was indicating at. "That's a wall."

The girl smiled. "Just watch this." She ran toward the wall at full speed, and disappeared.

Jasper gasped. "Woah."

The younger girl gave a smile. "Well come on!" She quickly followed after her sister. She disappeared through the wall.

Jasper stared after her nervously, and took a deep breath. He ran toward the wall, and just as he thought he was about to bonk his head, he went through the wall, and entered a platform that had a scarlet colored train puffing out smoke. He looked around, and saw witches, and wizards saying goodbye to their children. Some were crying. He saw the girl, and her older sister, and approached them.

"Thanks for the help." Jasper said.

The older girl smiled. "No problem." She said brightly. She looked around as her younger sister was running ahead excited. "Oh gods." She said running after her. "Maryrose wait!"

Jasper watched them go wondering wasn't the 11 year old girl's hair blonde a moment ago? He shrugged, and went onto the train.

Wow.

The train was beautiful, it had students young, and old milling about putting up their trunks, and finding which compartment to go in, kids talking to their friends, owls, and toads going about. It was filled with magic.

It was filled with people like him.

He walked around searching for a place to sit, dodging owls that flew overhead. He was truly amazed by everything he was seeing. It was like a dream, a dream he did not want to wake up from.

The students around him were whispering about their excitement for Hogwarts, and chatting about their summer holidays.

He walked by many compartments, and chose an empty one to sit in. He looked out the window. He was shaking with nervousness, and excitement. He was going to a magic school, a school that was going to teach him magic, he was magic, and - and it was a lot to process. It isn't everyday you're told you're a wizard.

Just then a group of older kids, already wearing their school robes came in, and sat down. They all had green, and silver ties. Jasper gave them a small wave.

One of the older kids, a young man with long blonde hair, looked at him with distaste. "What are you doing here?"

Jasper instantly felt like he was not wanted, he knew when he wasn't, he had gotten used to it, whether it be from his parents, or classmates. He got up. "I - um, sorry, I didn't know I couldn't be here, I - I am new."

One of the others rolled their eyes. "Yeah, we can see that, you're a firstie."

Jasper nodded. "Yes, you understand I am a little lost, the Wizarding World is all so new to me, and-"

The blonde man interrupted. "I'm sorry, new?" He looked at Jasper with disgust. "You're new to the Wizarding World?"

Jasper nodded, getting a bit nervous at all the looks he was getting in the compartment. "Yeah, um - it - it is just, I am..." He tried to think of the word for it, the kid from Diagon Alley had told him it. "A mugg - muggelbor-"

"You're a mudblood." One of the girls hissed.

Jasper stared up at all of them. "Is that the word?" He looked at them appreciatively. "Thank you." He smiled. "Sorry for bothering you, I will leave." He was just about to open the door, when a hand touched his shoulder. "Yes?" He turned.

"You aren't supposed to be here." One of the boys hissed.

Jasper was getting scared now. "That is why I was just leaving, uh-"

The compartment door opened, and a boy with red hair stepped in. "Really Malfoy, bullying first years?"

The man, who was apparently Malfoy, let go of Jasper. "No, we weren't Weasel - ly." He said. The others snickered. "We were just telling him he is not supposed to be in the Slytherin area."

The boy with red hair rolled his eyes, and started to tell them off, but Jasper did not have time to hear what they were saying because he ran out.

He was a bit shaken up.

I mean he didn't mean not to know things about the Wizarding World. Maybe he just needed to learn, and once he did he would be more accepted.

Jasper found an empty compartment, and sat there. He hoped that once he learned, and became a good wizard people would like him more.

Well that was just a few people, he was sure not everyone hated him, right?

He hoped.

All of a sudden the compartment door opened, and a person came in, and slammed it shut. Jasper looked at the boy, who looked around his age. The boy was panting like he was running from something.

The boy turned to Jasper. He stared at him for a few moments.

Will this person tell me to get lost too? Jasper thought.

Instead the boy asked, "Can I sit with you?" Jasper nodded eagerly. The boy went, sat across from him, and sat crossed legged on the seat. "What's your name?"

"I'm Jasper Odair."

The boy nodded. "My name is Harry."

Jasper waited for Harry to continue, but he stopped there. He looked at him awkwardly.

Harry noticed this. "You okay?"

Jasper nodded. "Yeah, it is just I am pretty nervous."

Harry nodded understanding, he was a bit nervous too. "Well, don't worry, I am sure you will love Hogwarts. What house do you think you'll be in?"

Jasper looked at him unsure how to answer, he didn't know anything about the Wizarding World, he was afraid Harry was going to judge him for it, like the Malfoy fellow. "Er..."

Harry stared at him realizing he must have been a person with two non magical parents. "Ohhhh." He said. "You don't know much about the Wizarding World."

Jasper looked sheepish. "Sorry, if you want me to leave I will." He started to get up, but Harry stopped him.

"No, of course not! I will tell you all about it, if you want."

"Really?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah of course, what do you want to know?"

Jasper thought for a moment. "Well everything, but what are the houses?"

"The houses are where you stay once you get sorted-"

"Sorted?" Jasper asked.

"We will get to that." Harry said. "There are four houses: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin."

"What is the difference between them?" Jasper was interested by these peculiar names.

Harry replied, "Well besides the colors, it is personality traits." Harry sounded excited explaining about this. "Gryffindors are people who are courageous, and brave, Ravenclaws are wise, and intelligent, Hufflepuffs are nice, and loyal, and Slytherins are ambitious, and cunning."

Jasper didn't think he matched any description, he didn't feel like he was brave, or intelligent, or cunning, or loyal. He definitely was not loyal, I mean he abandoned his siblings. He looked down at his knees.

"Hey." Harry noticed Jasper's sad expression. "I didn't mean to make you sad, I am sure you will be in a great house, just not Slytherin."

Jasper looked up at this. "Why not Slytherin?"

"They don't take people like you." Jasper was hurt by this. "Ohhhh noooo." Harry said quickly. "That sounded really bad. I - I mean, you have two non magical parents, and the Slytherin house is full of purebloods, they rarely take people like me."

Jasper looked up at Harry. "I - I am sorry, you used a lot of language I am not familiar with."

Harry scratched the back of his neck. "Uh, sorry about that. Purebloods are wizards who's both parents are magical. Halfbloods, like me have one non magical parent, and one magical parent, and you a mugg-"

"Mudblood has two non magical parents, I think I get it!" Jasper said happily. He looked at Harry who looked shocked. "What?"

"Oh you can't say that word!" Harry said. "Well I mean, I guess you can say it - but - um - you should not use the word to describe yourself, don't do that, don't be mean to yourself, you're not dirty, you're nice, and sweet." Jasper was utterly confused. "Where did you hear that anyway?" Harry asked.

"Um. Someone said it to me...what does it mean?"

Harry looked upset, and angry. "I am so sorry." He sighed. "That word, I can't say it."

"Mudblood?" Jasper asked.

Harry nodded. "It is a derogatory term used against muggleborns, that is the correct term for people who have two non magical parents, but are themselves magical." Jasper nodded slowly. "The word you used is a slur to describe...actually insult muggleborns."

"I - I don't understand."

Harry sighed, upset that he had to explain how the Wizarding World wasn't all great to his first friend who was excited for school. The train started to move. "Well in history, wizarding history, wizards, pureblood wizards hated people who didn't have two magical parents, they especially hated muggleborns, who had no magical blood in them at all, but still had magic powers. The purebloods thought they stole magic, and it wasn't rightfully theirs, so they made the term, the m word, mud as in dirty, disgusting, and blood, as well as in blood. So therefore it meant dirty blood."

Jasper was shocked at the information. "What?"

"Don't worry!" Harry said quickly. "It has improved a lot, it is still far from perfect, but many people are okay with halfbloods, and muggleborns. There is just this select few of bigots." Harry rolled his eyes. "It used to be thought of as gross that a muggle, and a wizard would get married, and have a kid, therefore creating a halfblood, but it has gotten better, not perfect though...as you have already experienced..."

"I see..." Jasper said, looking up.

Harry bit his lip as Jasper sighed. "I am sorry." Harry said to him. "You were probably expecting the magical world to be all sunshine, and rainbows, and I ruined it with history."

Jasper sighed. "Well I mean, I'll live." He looked out the compartment door as more students were walking, whispering about this famous kid who was apparently on the train. Jasper looked at Harry who was staring intently out the window. "Do you know anything about this famous kid?"

Harry looked at him, and shrugged. "No idea." He changed the subject. "Sorry for all the negative stuff I told you about, do you want to know anything...positive?"

Jasper gave a small smile. "I mean the houses do sound really cool. What house do you think you're going to be in?"

"Probably Gryffindor, my mum was, so." He shrugged.

"Well just because your mum was doesn't mean you will be in it." He looked at Harry. "Right?"

Harry shrugged again. "I suppose." He looked at Jasper. "Do you want to know what subjects there are?"

Jasper nodded excitedly. "Yes, please tell me there is no science." He stopped. "Wait, do you know about science?"

Harry nodded. "Yes, I went to a muggle school too, I know about the muggle world." Jasper was happy that he did. "There isn't science, but there is something called potions, kind of like chemistry."

"That sounds interesting." Jasper commented.

Jasper suddenly heard a laugh from another compartment near them. Harry didn't seem to hear it, but turned toward where the sound was coming from since he saw Jasper turn that direction. "Where are you going seeing as you're neither?" More laughing. Jasper looked at Harry as they heard someone call out, "See ya, Snivellus!" They saw a girl with red hair march out with another boy who had black hair.

"Ah, Sirius Black goes to Hogwarts this year." Commented Harry, looking at the compartment across from them.

Jasper looked at him. "Who's that?"

"The boy who just yelled at the other boy." Harry told him.

"Sorry, who is he?" Jasper asked.

"He comes from a not so nice pureblood family, all of which have been in Slytherin. His family is...not so nice to muggleborns, or halfbloods."

"Should I be careful of him?"

"Well we don't know him yet, we can't judge someone who we don't know, he could be a really nice person." Harry said.

"Didn't he just yell at someone?" Jasper pointed out.

"True." Harry said. Just then the trolley witch came in.

"Anything from the trolley dears?"

"Um, three chocolate frogs, a butterbeer, and Bertie Botts." Harry said. He looked at Jasper. "Do you want anything?"

"Uhhhh, I don't really have any money so."

Harry turned back to the trolley witch. "Double that." The witch gave them the sweets, Harry handed her the money, and she left. Harry handed some sweets to Jasper. "Here you go."

Jasper took them hesitantly. "You didn't need to do that."

Harry said, "I did. Every person deserves to have a good first train ride, and as you have already had a pretty rubbish one, I wanted to make it up to you." He smiled.

Jasper smiled back, and took a sip of butterbeer. It was the best thing he had ever tasted. "THIS IS AMAZING. OH MY GOSH."

Harry laughed. "Isn't it?" He took a sip. "It is so good."

They continued to talk about Hogwarts, and Harry told Jasper all about the different courses at Hogwarts, about the ghosts, and the different types of magical creatures. They did all this as they ate sweets, and about three quarters the way to Hogwarts Jasper was in a sugar rush. Jasper was jumping up, and down on the seats, hopping every which way, and visiting almost every compartment, to say hello.

"HI!" He yelled at a group of second, and third year Huffepuffs. "I AM SO EXCITED!" He ran off to another compartment leaving those poor Huffepuffs confused.

Jasper ran over to the compartment with the Slytherins. He popped his head in to see the redhead girl, and black hair boy in there as well with them. "Hello again." He laughed. "I found out what that word means, and" he stared at Malfoy, "you can't say it! You're rude." He ran off.

Harry quickly went to that compartment as he was following Jasper around to apologize for his over excited friend. "Hey sorry." Harry started. "It is-" He saw who it was. "Oh ew! Gross!" He was mocking the way they would have talked to Jasper. He glared at them. "Not the purebloods, so disgusting." He gagged, and ran off. He overheard the redhead girl ask her friend about what the hell that was about, and he just replied with "Just ignore them."

Harry found Jasper back at their original compartment lying down. "You got your energy out mate?"

Jasper took a deep breath, and sat up. "Yeah, sorry. I got really hyper, I don't eat much candy at home."

Harry chuckled, and sat down. "That's alright, we all get in sugar rushes sometimes, I am just happy you're having fun." He smiled.

Jasper smiled back. "Me too."  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77 8 24
(1/7) The first book of the Slytherin Tales series. Purebloods Sachie and Leon Sinclair are about to attend their first year at Hogwarts, much to the...
6K 209 17
Nicholas Steele was quiet, a young 15 year old wizard attending Hogwarts, nothing out of the ordinary. Or at least, that's what everyone else though...
4.7K 314 51
Avery Dessen didn't like a lot of things. Mostly she didn't like the Marauders, History of Magic, and her grandmother, Millicent Bagnold. About to s...
29K 1K 34
"I can't stay away from you, okay? There! I said it." His gaze met hers. "I want more. Want is an understatement...I need more. - I crave your mind a...