Reunion (#3 Post-Order 66 Ser...

By Wild_Karrde

Captain Rex is wandering the galaxy, trying to find one of his lost brothers. The search is long and frustrat... More

Reunion - Part 1
Reunion - Part 2
Reunion - Part 3
Reunion - Part 4
Reunion - Part 5
Reunion - Part 7
Reunion - Part 8
Reunion - Part 9
Reunion - Part 10
Reunion - Part 11
Reunion - Part 12
Reunion - Part 13
Reunion - Part 14
Reunion - Part 15
Reunion - Part 16
Reunion - Part 17
Reunion - Part 18
Reunion - Part 19
Reunion - Part 20
Reunion - Part 21
Reunion - Part 22
Reunion - Part 23
Reunion - Part 24
Reunion - Part 25
Reunion - Part 26
Reunion - Part 27

Reunion - Part 6

223 5 0
By Wild_Karrde

When Rex awoke, Senna wasn't in bed with him. Quickly, he dressed, making his way downstairs, half afraid he'd find her gone after the moment from the night before. He felt a slight rush of relief when he spotted her perched at the bar, datapad in hand as Cid watched her from the seat next to her, her face resting on one of her clawed hands.

"How long is this gonna take, Blue Eyes?"

"Give me a few, Cid. I haven't exactly done this before."

"Should I call Goggles? Maybe he can tell you how it's done."

Senna shot her a glare that would have melted any other being in the galaxy into a puddle, but Cid just rolled her eyes. "I'm just saying, he talks a lot, but the guy gets it done."

"I'll get it done," Senna grumbled, punching away at the keys on her datapad with a little more aggression than was warranted. Rex struggled to hide the grin threatening to overwhelm him. Still competing with Tech and he's not even here.

"What are you smiling at, Blondie?"

Rex felt heat creep up the back of his neck as Senna whirled to see him standing awkwardly at the base of the steps. "Nothing," he muttered, striding over. Senna averted her gaze, going back to tinkering with the datapad and the disks. Rex watched her for a few moments before turning to Cid. "Were you able to get any information for us?"

"Yeah. The information is that your friend is buried under about ten layers of classification."

"That's it?" Rex asked incredulously. "That's all you could find?"

"Relax, Blondie. Sometimes the devil's in the details." Cid punched a few buttons on her own datapad, extending it towards Rex. "The fact that my sources can't find him is a clue. He's probably been taken to a classified Imperial base. The Imperials have several levels of classification, and I normally can get access to the lower tiers. For this guy to be impossible to find, he's got to be on one of the upper tier classified bases. There are only a handful of those."

"Do you have locations on any of them?"

"No, few do. That's why they're classified. Like I said, it narrows your search to a handful of places."

Rex scrubbed his hands over his face in exasperation. "It doesn't matter if it's a handful or a hundred if we can't find the location of any of them, Cid."

"I did what I could. I don't know what you want me to tell you. Also, if Blue Eyes gets these disks flashed, I'll consider us square on the info and for the room and board."

Rex paused to look at Cid. That's awfully nice of her. "What's the catch, Cid?" he asked, narrowing his eyes.

The Trandoshan scoffed and shrugged. "The ten disks were more than I could have hoped for, and," she said, stepping closer and lowering her voice, "I know how much it means to you to find this other clone. So perhaps, it's your lucky day and you shouldn't look this gift fathier in the mouth, Blondie."

Rex didn't know what to say to that, so he extended his hand. "Thank you, Cid. That means a lot."

She glanced down at his outstretched hand before nudging past him towards her back office. "Yeah, yeah, let me know when you've got the disks programmed."

Rex watched her hunched form recede into the darkness of the back of the establishment before he took a deep breath and slid into the seat next to Senna. "Sounds like we've got about as much out of this place as we can." His chest felt tight with the realization that this might be where they part ways. Why would she stay? I'm of no further use to her, and she doesn't have any other leads. I'm sure there are other ways she could find that base besides Wolffe. Other people will know where it's at.

Senna kept her eyes lowered on her task as she reached for the cup of caf she'd been nursing, taking a sip before going back to work on the disks. "If we can get into any of those bases, even if Wolffe isn't there, I'll bet we might be able to find a file that's got his location. And maybe I'll be able to find the location of that base I'm looking for," she said, teeth digging into her lip as she finagled one of the disks into what looked like a makeshift scanner.

Rex's heart fluttered. She's suggesting we stick together. "And where do you think we could find a location for any of those bases?" he asked, reaching over the counter to grab a mug off the stack behind it.

"There's gotta be someone who knows where one is. Might be time to consult with some of our friends in the rebellion and see what those resources can glean," Senna replied, pushing the caf press towards him without looking up from her work.

He glanced at the press skeptically. "You make this?"

She finally set the datapad down in a huff. "Why? You got a problem with how I make my caf, Rex?"

Rex poured himself a cup, trying to keep his face neutral as the smell hit him. She definitely made this. It's gonna peel the linings off my intestines. "No," he lied. "Just wondering." She didn't take her eyes off him as he took his first sip, trying to maintain a straight face as the bitterness beat his taste buds within an inch of their life, managing only a small cough. Senna smirked as she took another sip of hers without so much as a twitch.

"You had breakfast yet?" he asked, trying to hide the rasp in his voice and the watering in his eyes.

"Nope. Just a cup and a half of caf."

"Let me go out and grab you something," he offered.

"That's not neces-" Senna was interrupted by her stomach growling loudly. Rex raised an eyebrow at her.

"I'll be right back. You keep at it," he said, turning and walking out the front door.

---

Senna watched Rex's back disappear out the door before turning back to the task at hand. Guess we're going to pretend last night didn't happen, she thought as she watched the progress bar blink on the disk scanner. She was pretty sure she'd worked out the correct sequence to program a chain code onto the disk, but with as many roadblocks as she'd had this morning, she was giving this trial scan a fifty-fifty shot at best. She rested her face on the palm of her gloved hand, tapping the fingers of her other idly on the counter as she allowed her mind to drift back to the night before.

She'd been glad Rex had righted her to a sitting position because the way he'd looked at her would have made her knees buckle if she'd been standing. She could almost still feel the way his fingers had dug into her waist before sliding around to her back and pressing against her spine, pulling her closer to him. She'd almost given in and wanted to so badly, but she'd felt his conflict, as much as she'd tried to tune out his emotions. They'd been almost deafening, hitting her in waves like a storm beating a shoreline as she had hardly dared to breathe. She remembered how his pulse had been racing underneath her fingertips as they pressed against his chest, how hers was beating at the same rapid pace, unsure of which way the interaction would go but wanting so desperately to put an end to the rift between them. Senna had watched his tongue dart out to moisten his lips, an invitation she wanted to accept with every cell in her body, but she couldn't ignore the turmoil still within him. It wouldn't have been fair.

Sighing, she rested her head against the bar top, the cool surface calming some of the heat that had crept into her face. It has to be on his terms, when he's definitely sure. And when you are as well. She knew she hadn't been thinking much of her own feelings, but she was starting to consider them more carefully. I have to be alright if he doesn't come around or if I have to leave him again. I can't spiral the way I did the first time. Senna had spent months, drifting from cantina to shitty cantina, half the time barely aware of what planet she was on. It was always the same routine.

Count the exits. Pick a booth or table that lets you see them all. Keep your wits about you until the fifth whiskey, then stumble back to wherever you've managed to find quarters for the night. Dream of Rex and the Inquisitor. Wake up screaming. Repeat.

The beeping of the scanner ripped her from her memories. Sitting up, she took a deep breath before reaching over and glancing at the readout. It worked. She tipped her head back, scrubbing her hands over her face and breathing a sigh of relief. One down, nine to go.

"Good news, I take it?"

Turning her head, she saw Rex returning, a bag of something in his hands. She also noted he'd bought his own cup of caf, but chose not to comment on it as she caught a whiff of the bag's contents. Her mouth watered as she smelled the butter and sugar of the warm pastries within, and she eagerly ripped it open when Rex handed it to her, taking a massive bite and letting out a satisfied moan.

"You would be correct," she said with her mouth still full. "Just gotta get the other nine sorted and then we should be good to go. These are delicious by the way. Thanks for getting them."

"Not a problem," he replied.

It only took another hour for Senna to get the disks programmed and scanned, and not too long after that, they were packed and heading out the door. Rex had copied the little information Cid had found on Wolffe to Senna's datapad while she'd scanned the last disk, hoping that something in it might prove useful. Now, the two of them trudged back to the ship, the snowy ground thawing to mud beneath their feet as the sun climbed higher into the sky.

"So, where to now?" Senna asked.

"There's a base on Yavin 4 I think would be a good starting point," Rex replied. Senna's breath caught in her throat. I was just there a few months ago. Kriff. She wasn't sure how much Rex expected with her involvement with the rebellion. He hadn't asked her many questions up to this point about what her motivation was for finding the base and the information about the superweapon, and she wasn't sure if he thought it was just a personal vendetta for her or something more. If he finds out I was there with the boys, he's going to be upset. Her teeth dug into her lip.

"Something on your mind?" he asked.

"Nah," she lied. "Just wondering who might be there and if anyone might know anything." She tried to keep her face neutral as Rex watched her. Senna could tell he was somewhat skeptical of something, but she wasn't sure what, and he didn't seem to know either. He just knows something's off with me. Dammit. He didn't confront her about it, however, instead choosing to walk the rest of the way in silence as Senna struggled to come up with her next course of action.

I should just tell him. But then, we've made so much progress, at least if last night is any indication. He might even trust me, and if he does, I'll just absolutely wreck that trust. But it's going to hurt him regardless, right? Yes, but maybe with a bit more time and separation from the events, it won't hurt as much. Maybe? No one there may even remember me. I spent most of my time in the barracks with Tech, and after that, I didn't stick around long. What if the boys are there...

"You hear from Hunter and the others ever?" she asked as they climbed the ramp into the ship's hold.

"From time to time. Last I heard, they spent a good amount of time on Naboo. Mission didn't go as they'd hoped though."

Kriff.

"Oh?" she asked, struggling to maintain an air of aloofness as the memories from Naboo washed over her. The battle of Keren with Crosshair. Wrecker's bone-crushing hug when he'd seen her. The way Hunter had held her up against the wall, muttering in her ear about how much he hated it. Tech in her arms as the woman he loved sacrificed herself for them. Echo holding her as she sobbed, his words echoing in her mind.

"I know, I know. You're fearful of the Inquisitors. But you've been here for how many months, Senna? How many have come looking for you, or for the other Force users for that matter?"

"It's not just the Inquisitors anymore," she whispered, and he paused as her eyes welled with tears. "I've been away so long. How could he ever forgive me?"

"Oh, he'll be angry. There's no doubt about that," Echo quietly agreed. "But he misses you, Senna. Maker, he misses you so much."

Senna took a deep breath as she sat in the co-pilot seat. Rex was already lifting the ship out of the port, heading for the edge of Ord Mantell's atmosphere as he plugged in the hyperspace calculations for the rebel base, at least acting oblivious to her internal struggle. "Yeah, they were tasked with protecting the queen there. She was in a standoff with the Empire, and unsurprisingly, they showed up to put her in line. She went into hiding with Tech while Hunter and the others helped try and stage some kind of uprising, but by all accounts it was doomed from the start. They eventually had to evacuate, and the queen was killed. Sacrificed herself to save them. Sounds like it hit Tech pretty hard."

He loved her. Of course he did. Senna bit her tongue.

"They also found the other brother, Crosshair. Don't know if you ever saw him on your check-ins." The way he said the last word didn't go unnoticed by Senna, a slight twist of the knife. Definitely don't tell him yet.

"Silver haired guy with a tattoo on his right eye?" she asked.

"Yup, that's the one. Shit attitude to go with it." Senna chewed her cheek to suppress the smile threatening to creep across her face as she remembered a different conversation with Echo.

"He's a work in progress. Don't worry if he doesn't ever warm up to you. It's just how he is." He let out a dry laugh. "If it makes you feel any better, I heard Rex punched him square in the gullet when they were out trying to rescue me. Wrecker had to pull him off."

Senna's eyebrow raised. "That doesn't sound like the cool collected captain I know."

She still struggled to picture Rex punching one of his own, but if it was going to be anyone, she definitely figured Crosshair would be a worthy candidate. Things had thawed between the sniper and her during their time on Naboo, but the man she had initially met was definitely deserving of a few fists to the jaw.

"You're fidgeting."

Rex's observation pulled her from her memories. She followed his gaze and noted she was picking at a loose seam on one of the fingers of her glove.

"You nervous about going to the base?" he asked, watching her carefully out of the corner of his eye.

"A little." That much is true. "Haven't set foot on one of those in a while." A few months, but who's to say what constitutes a while?

He nodded at her answer. "Shouldn't be too bad. A lot of people come and go from this place, so it's not unusual for an unfamiliar face to show up."

She didn't respond, instead opting to focus on sitting still as the white and blue streaks of hyperspace screamed by outside the viewport. "How long until we get there?"

"Not too long. A few hours."

"Alright. Think I'm gonna go try to meditate."

"You wanna talk about it?" Karking hells, he knows too much about me.

"Talk about what?"

"Whatever's making you want to meditate. I've never known you to be the meditating type."

"I wasn't very connected with the Force last you saw me. Hadn't really started then."

He grunted noncommittally as she stood, moving towards the hold. She chose a spot in the middle of the floor, sinking to a cross-legged seat carefully due to her injured leg. At least I'm limping a little less today. Senna rested her hands on her knees and closed her eyes, trying to center herself in the emotions that were swirling within her.

Calm your mind. Let go of the things bothering you. Connect to what's around you.

Her master's voice echoed in her mind. Enough time had passed for Senna to grieve the loss of Shaak Ti and her other peers, but she still missed her master's wisdom immensely, particularly during times of turmoil. Shaak Ti's compassion had always been something that set her apart from the other council members in Senna's mind, her concern and awareness of each individual being around her. She had been a perfect representative for the Jedi on Kamino, and Senna had no doubt she'd treated each of her clone charges as an individual rather than the numbers they were given. I wonder if Rex ever met her. She shook her head. No. Not about him right now. She inhaled deeply through her nose, releasing the breath out through her mouth gradually.

After what felt like an eternity, she sighed in frustration. She always struggled to meditate on starships. It was harder to reach out to the Force when you weren't necessarily surrounded by living things, but by metal. Suddenly, she had an idea. Stretching out her legs, Senna laid down on her back, extending her arms out to her side. She smiled as she felt the gentle hum of the starship through the durasteel underneath her shoulder blades. The rumble of the machinery calmed her more than any breeze or birdsong could, and she wiggled her fingers and toes with her eyes closed, reaching out through the Force and finally finding an ounce of peace that she so desperately craved.

"I'm no expert on Jedi meditation, but I have to say this seems more like napping."

Her eyes snapped open to find Rex's amber ones staring down at her, a hint of a smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

"We all have our own ways of connecting with the Force," she said, not moving. "How much longer?"

"We're almost there," he replied.

"Ah, so I can still get a few more minutes of meditation in then."

"Uh huh," he muttered.

She closed her eyes again, assuming he'd wander back to the cockpit, but instead, she felt him lay down next to her. Sneaking a glance, she saw he'd rested his head next to hers, not close enough to kiss, but close enough to reach out and touch. His long legs were stretched out in the opposite direction of hers, his boots pointed towards the ceiling as he folded his hands across his chest.

"You looking to get into meditation?" she asked.

"Not really my thing," he replied.

They laid together in silence for a few moments before Rex spoke. "I've had something I always meant to ask you."

"What is that?"

"I know you knew Anakin and Ahsoka, but never really knew how much. Always wondered about that."

Senna smiled as she remembered the handsome Padawan she'd grown up next to. Anakin had come to the temple when Senna was around fifteen, and at first, she'd harbored an immense amount of jealousy that someone who hadn't already dedicated the years she had could just waltz in and be one of them. There was a certain amount of camaraderie that had been formed with the younglings in her age group, and at first, she resented him, but it wasn't long before they'd become friends. Anakin challenged her in ways the others didn't, and she'd always enjoyed that along with the long hours that they'd spend chatting about the ways to make his ship faster or increase the efficiency of the engines of various starships. They'd even sketched out a few absolutely abstract design concepts at some point, which she'd printed as art to be hung around her quarters at the temple. By the time they were knighted, all of her egotistical concerns had been replaced with affection for the young man, almost akin to what she'd feel for a younger brother. Watching him take a Padawan that was just like him had been incredibly amusing.

"She's so stubborn and headstrong. I just don't know how to reach her and guide her!"

"Maybe you should talk to Master Obi-Wan. I'm sure he could give you a few pointers."

"Ha ha. Very funny, Sen."

"In all seriousness, perhaps take advantage of the lessons he learned as a young master. You share an experience in that regard as well. He was pretty young when he took you on."

"That's true."

"I know." She smirked at him, and he rolled his eyes as she stood, resting a hand on his shoulder. "You'll get through to her. It just takes patience, something neither one of us have an abundance of. But if anyone is equipped to handle a headstrong youngling, it's you. I have faith in you."

He let his hand rest on top of hers. "Thanks, Sen. I can't wait until you get your own Padawan. I'm sure you'll be one hell of a Master too."

She'd chuckled at that. "Not so sure I'm cut out for that. But the Force works in mysterious ways."

"Indeed it does."

"Anakin and I were peers at the temple," she said softly. "Wasn't sure what to make of him at first, but he quickly became a good friend. We didn't see much of each other throughout the war, but when we did, it was always special. He and Ahsoka would come visit me down at the GAR garages, yanking me out from whatever gunship I was stuffed up under and dragging me out for a hot meal and some caf. He was so unsure of his ability to be a Master, but I never doubted him. He was the best of us."

Rex nodded. "So is Ahsoka."

"She is." Senna shifted her shoulders underneath her. "You hear from her much?"

"From time to time. She's on her own path, but I think about her a lot. Always hope she's safe."

"Me too."

The silence resumed, and Senna tried to figure out how to proceed. Fortunately or not, Rex took the lead.

"You want to talk about last night?" he asked. Her breath stuttered in her throat.

"What would you like to talk about?" she said softly, trying to keep her eyes focused on the ceiling and her voice even.

"I'm sorry I put you in that position," he said quietly. "I'm...I'm still not certain what's going to happen with us. And I can't do that again, Senna. I can't."

"I understand."

"Do you?"

She turned her head to look at him and found him staring hard at her, his brow furrowed as his eyes studied hers. He's looking for assurances I'm not certain I can give, she thought. She considered her words carefully, and ultimately wasn't sure how to proceed. "Rex, I-"

The ship shuddered, and Rex lifted his head to glance back towards the cockpit. "Looks like we're here," he said quietly as the autopilot eased them out of hyperspace. He rested his head back down to look at her for a few more seconds before reaching above his head and taking her hand, giving it a squeeze. Senna's heart leapt into her throat as he released his grasp on her, rolling onto his side and pushing himself to his feet. She did the same, striding towards the cockpit as Rex settled into the pilot seat to guide them into the base.

It was late afternoon on the moon, the jungle stretching out below them like a lush green carpet. Senna leaned over his shoulder as Rex radioed in their approach with the access codes. She felt herself begin tugging at her glove again, and she tried to still her increasingly sweatier hands. Her eyes scanned the tarmac as they glided in to land, and she felt a moment of relief when she didn't see the tell-tale fins of the modified Omicron-class attack shuttle.

"Let's go say hello," Rex said, setting the ship down and powering down. He was a little eager to get out, and Senna had to lengthen her strides to keep up with him as he entered the base through a side door. She hung back as Rex greeted a man she didn't recognize. She saw the man nod his head at the repair garage and Rex glanced over his shoulder at her, a smile lighting up his face. Something about his eagerness made her blood run cold, and he jerked his head towards the garage entrance. Senna followed after him, and as soon as she stepped inside, her stomach dropped into her boots.

The Havoc Marauder sat inside the repair garage, a familiar pair of long legs in white armor poking out from underneath the hull, the bright flash of a welding torch illuminating the goggles on the clone's face. Above him stood a clone in black and red armor from the waist down, pointing at something with his metal hand. Tech. Echo.

Echo turned to look at them, and a few emotions flickered across his face before he seemed to settle on excitement. He leaned down and shouted something to Tech that didn't carry over the noise echoing in the garage, but Tech dropped the welder and rolled out from under the ship, straightening his goggles as he glanced in their direction. He quickly pushed himself to his feet, jogging over with Echo right behind him.

Kriff.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 231 43
~ Intuition - Book 1 - Rex and Lenora ~ ~ ''They told me, ''Be sensible with your new love. Don't be a fool, thinking this is the last you'll find.'...
9.8K 279 26
What starts off as a snarky blind date that takes a surprising turn... continues as a ridiculous excuse to write some spicy smut for Crosshair. He li...
13.3K 233 8
Good soldiers don't always follow orders. Especially when it comes down to love. "Rex..." Ahsoka whispered playfully as she tossed around a headtail...
1.5K 64 11
Λšβ‚ŠΒ· ͟͟͞͞➳β₯π™π™Š 𝙒𝙄𝙉 π™”π™Šπ™π™ π™ƒπ™€π˜Όπ™π™ [ π‘­π’Šπ’—π’†π’” ] ━━━━━━━━━━ β•°β”ˆβž€ π€π«π’πš 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐑𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐑 𝐭𝐨 𝐑𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐚𝐭�...