A Strange New Little Brother

By kittyface27

When the Whitebeards finds something has ransacked their food supply, they didn't expect to find some strange... More

The Mystery Stowaway
The Faupta's Blessing
Getting To Know Ace and Bad News
New Adventures, And a Few Set Backs
Fishman Island
A Happy Time
Upsetting Times
Vacation
Final Conclusion

A Return To Normal?

1.3K 28 3
By kittyface27

They banged on doors while they went. Marco headed to the hall with Ace, who he heard screaming and wailing scared noises. His door was in the exit hallway, the main one, so he was closest to the fire. Marco ran through it and stuffed his fire through the crack in the door. He grabbed Ace and kicked through the left wall, running out that door. Ace was coughing from the smoke, inhuman sounding. Sounding like intense sneezes.

The door was blocked, but Marco had a plan and blew the bubble out and around the flame, suffocating it inside the bubble as it burned up oxygen. They all got out of the room from the smoke and ran onto the charred deck and masts.

It was still smoking, and the back deck was on fire. Marco blew the bubbles up there, too. The fire was put out, but the ship was badly damaged. Marco knew who did it. He swore, and told everyone he knew who did it. Instead of thinking about how to fix the ship, they all went running behind Marco.

They could hear the pirates laughing inside. They burst through the door and killed all of them brutally. But they left the ship in tact so they could salvage wood from it. Not nearly big enough to fix it all, but it would be helpful. They left the bodies in a storage room, not wanting to throw them into the water.

They left and went back to the Moby, all of them downcast and depressed, near tears at their damaged ship. And it was all Marco's fault for resorting to violence on people who had no idea who the Whitebeards were, what they were capable of.

But when they got back, the ship was perfectly fine, and Thatch was holding a sleeping Ace in his lap, frowning deeply. They were all shocked and demanded to know what the hell had happened in the 20 minutes they'd been gone. Pops was there and said that Ace had fixed it, but was now seemingly sick.

He showed all signs of complete exhaustion, Marco could see. As if he hadn't slept in weeks, he had heavy bags under his eyes, was sweaty and pale. Thatch picked him up, and put his foulard over Ace's mouth from the smoke and then took him to the infirmary. Nobody was burned, but most had their throats burning and itching from inhaling smoke.

Pops asked if the people who'd done this were dead. "Yup. And painfully," Marco added. "Ace fixed the whole ship?" he asked in awe. "Even the interior?" Whitebeard shook his head. Only the worst parts, out on the deck. The inside hallway was still burnt.

"I would like us to do the fixing of that area," the captain said. "Ace has done more than enough." Marco agreed. It was late at night, but everybody got to work fixing the interior, with Ace's room filled with smoke and with the wall burst open. The door was burnt badly as well. If Marco hadn't been there, Ace would be dead. That thought made his hands shake, but after a few deep, calming breaths, he was okay again, and got to work.

After the wall was fixed enough, Marco went to the infirmary and found Ace was still asleep, tucked into bed, with the smoke no longer all over his face. He coughed in his sleep, but did not wake. "How is he?" Marco asked quietly. Thatch wasn't the one to answer, it was Tami.

"He's extremely exhausted and will probably be asleep for over a day. I've never treated anyone with this level of exhaustion. He'll need water and nutrients if he doesn't wake up for meals." She sounded sad. Thatch was quiet and watching him.

He said, "Thank you. For saving him. He was trapped in his room, right?" Marco nodded and said he didn't need to thank him. Marco went straight for Ace's room to get him, make sure he was okay. He was alive, but would he be traumatized by this? The first mate wouldn't be surprised if he was.

The ship was attempting to clear out the smoke as best as they could, keeping the door open to the outside. Fans were turned on to blow smoke down the hallway and towards the door. The ship was repaired by the end of that morning. Then everyone went to sleep but the many who couldn't stayed outside.

Luckily, the smoke was unable to pass through the bubbles. It wasn't confined there. Marco was proud of his instant idea to get the bubble coral to suffocate the flames.

Throughout the next day, work was done on the ship to get the damn smoke out as best as they could, while the rest were still helping to fix Fishman Island. Ace slept the whole day, needing the water and nutrients while he slept. Work was boring, and Marco was distracted. He felt responsible for Ace's condition.

It was his fault. Well, it was the pirates' decision, but he had started it. At least they were dead now. They deserved it after angering and endangering a yonko crew. There would have been no way for them to get away, even if they fled right away. Namur would have simply followed their floating ship and popped the bubble, imploding the ship under pressure or drowning all of them.

The kingdom quickly was repairs with the thousands of people working on it. The rest was really up to the royal family and the leading officers to convince everyone they were safe and that the kingdom had their backs. All of the imprisoned Fishman Pirates were in a new prison outside of the bubble.

They were fine to live out there, of course. A wall was erected around it with a roof so no one could get in and work to break them out. Fossa and his division had given great details and plans for the prison so it could be built properly. They wouldn't go out into the ocean and risk dying if a hammer or something sharp popped their bubbles and killed them.

It was up to the fishmen workers to fulfill that duty.

There was a contemplation going around the crew on the last day. Whether to return to the New World, or search and kill Teach for what he'd done, what he'd attempted to do. They did not talk to Pops about this, wanting to come to a consensus. Marco didn't know which side to choose. They were both legitimate for different reasons.

The crew felt almost dirty for not going after Teach. But there was also that devil fruit. Though they were proficient in haki. They could murder him with haki. Even a special devil fruit like that was not invincible. Maybe to people in Paradise it was, but New World pirates should know haki, so they had a chance, a possibility, to defeat him.

But there was also their protected islands. Venturing into Paradise would be like leaving them to fend for themselves. What would they choose? Logic, or emotions? So, they finally went to the captain with their concerns. When they'd voiced their wish to avenge Thatch's almost death and Ace's experience, he had sighed.

Marco felt that was a precursor for a big fat "no". He said, "I understand your feelings. I wish to make him pay as well, but we belong in the New World. This incident here showed our islands' needs for our protections. We cannot act solely on emotion and anger. We must have clear heads and think about the consequences.

"Leave the New World and fail our islands, lose members to the overpowered devil fruit and Teach's cruelty, act only on hatred and anger that will stay with us as we chase him. I know there will be a day to get revenge, but that day is not soon, I feel," he explained in a patient but serious voice.

They hung their heads, knowing he was right. "We will return to the New World and carry on. We can't let Teach's betrayal ruin us. Being sad about the betrayal is natural, anger is, too. But we cannot let the anger consume us and wipe out logic. We must move on, resume our lives as if Teach had never been here.

"Over time, things will get better and your anger will fade," the captain finished. The pirates on deck nodded, looking down but resigned. They knew Pops was right. "Now, let us finish our work, and then we can return to our normal schedule. And can finally go to islands and introduce Ace to the world a bit more," he said with a smile.

His sons nodded, and left for their final day of work. Ace didn't wake up. News had spread about the fire the night before, rumors going around, but none too bad for them. Nobody knew about Ace's doing of fixing the ship's exterior. He was glad they didn't. Nobody on the ship wanted any outsider to know of Ace's healing and repairing. Since he couldn't heal himself, it made him vulnerable.

Then he thought about Paradise, and how it would be even more dangerous for Ace there. More marines, which meant more greedy scientists. Plus, there were tons of weird islands in the New World that could have strange things like fauptas. Just because Ace was different didn't make him more vulnerable.

And Marco knew that nobles could want Ace as a pet, too. For him, it was best they stay in the New World. For their anger, it had to come second to the safety of the crew. He began to side with Pops, knowing all along he was right, but with denial in front of that. But that was now going opaque, and all he saw was the logic in not following Teach.

There was a feast offered to them that night, since their first one was ruined, but nobody wanted to do that. They had normal food the normal way, loud in the galley. They were tired of the island. Of working for other people. They were selfish pirates, so they were annoyed they had to spend over a week there. Fishman Island was beautiful, but there was little to do other than sight-see and shop. Well, it was a protected island, and it meant a lot to Pops, so they'd never complain about it.

During dinner was when Ace woke up and came in. Haruta was carrying him, and he still looked incredibly tired. He didn't get onto the table, but a pillow was brought in by Izo, and he put it in the corner, where Ace could lay down and eat. Marco looked and felt concerned, and asked why they took him in there. Why he wasn't eating in bed.

"He wanted to be around other people. Got lonely. He's still really tired, though," Izo explained. Thatch stopped cooking and left it to his sous chefs to go give Ace some company. He ate with the poor tired faupta, who was eating lethargically. Thatch made sure he drank some water. He fell asleep before his meal was finished, so Thatch carried him back to the infirmary, Ace propped up against his chest.

When he came back, he put Ace's leftovers in the fridge for if he woke up, he'd have the same meal. Thatch brought what was left of his meal to his usual table and sat with his brothers and fellow commanders. They were a bit sad for their youngest member. Atmos asked if the nurses knew when he'd no longer be exhausted.

Haruta answered, saying, "He'll probably be tired for at least another day and a half at most. We'll be gone by then." Marco felt sad Ace had to miss the way back up, but there was nothing to do about it. "I don't ever want him to have to do that again," Haruta said in a low, regretful voice.

The others nodded, and Marco finally said, "It was all my fault. When I told those pirates to not cause problems, they didn't know who we were, so I beat them up and locked them inside their ship. I didn't think they'd retaliate like that. I'm used to people not messing with us, y'know? So, I'm really sorry, everyone." He felt good after confessing.

Jozu said it was also his fault for not doing anything, either. He didn't tell Marco to stop. Nobody at the table seemed mad at them, and Izo said they couldn't do anything to change the past, so they should move on. Marco nodded and continued eating his food.

-x-

There was still much work to be done at Fishman Island, but it was up to its leading residents to fix the emotional and societal damage done to the kingdom. That didn't have anything to do with the Whitebeards anymore. They'd rebuilt so much of the island, cleaned it up, everything. Their work was done and complete.

Pops wished the king good luck, and jokingly said they didn't need to meet again anytime soon. "I agree, jamon. We won't cause you any trouble again," Neptune swore. Pops laughed and got onto the coated ship.

They'd done this many times, and got out of the port and blew up the bubble right at the exit, sailing out and back into the sea. Back to the New World. When Marco looked down from the ship, he saw the flotation device on the floor of the ocean. He got Pops' attention, pointing to it. "That wasn't there when we got here," he said, looking up. The yonko frowned, not doubting that Marco knew it had not been there.

"There was only one ship that left between landing and leaving. I don't see him being stupid enough to anger us and then go to our territory. And he couldn't man a ship on his own in the New World. I think it might have been brought there by a current," Whitebeard said. Marco knew that was the logical thing to think. And thinking about it, that was the only answer that would make sense.

Marco didn't doubt that he was going to get a crew, and do something with that devil fruit. Whatever his goal is now, well, it was no doubt in Paradise. The alternative was reckless and idiotic. He relaxed and just sat on the figurehead, watching the fish swim by, the sea kings ignoring them, the bottom feeders sticking to the ocean floor, creepy black fish with white markings akin to a skeleton.

Once the sun started to be visible, telling them they were nearing the surface, Ace came outside, walking on his own. Marco hurried over and saw Thatch come out right next to him. "Ace, it's nice to see you awake," Marco said, more coming over to ask how he was doing.

"Ace still sleepy. But want see fish more," he said, eyelids heavy. He yawned and showed his little pointed teeth, looking around. He sat down and just watched the light of day peeking out of the surface of the water, lighting up the deck with beautiful moving patterns. At the beautiful light, Ace fell back asleep. Though he was still tired, he looked much better. The bags were gone and he wasn't pale and sweaty.

He was brought to his new room. They'd converted a different storage room into a small bedroom, moving the sealed crates that had non perishables into Ace's old room that still had the smell of smoke inside it even after they did their best to clean and replaced the walls and floor.

When they broke the surface, they all cheered. They were to their home sea! Finally, things would be normal. As normal as things can get in the New World, that is. There was no storm, and it was day time. They sailed away from the Red Line with ease, everybody feeling uplifted, their spirits high and happy.

They sailed to the calmest island that they hadn't passed so Ace could venture onto one that wasn't too dangerous or intense. Their goal for now was to introduce Ace to the world. More of the world for longer periods of time. He slept much of the day again, but came out for dinner, where he was much more awake than his last meal.

He sat on the table on a pillow in case he fell asleep, which he did after eating a little pan of brownies for dessert. Marco carried him back to his room, cradling him. When he went back to the galley, he sat down to finish his own dessert, since everyone got something for celebration for the return to normal.

The next morning, Ace was back in action, able to run around and play like usual. But he was out on deck when a huge storm assaulted the ship not long into the New World. Nobody was surprised. This was the way it was, always had been and no doubt always would be. Marco shouted his name, trying to find him. The rain was pouring, making sight hard.

He could hear Ace's cries in fear and found him wrapped around the yardarm above. All six limbs were gripping the wood as tightly as possible, his many claws dug in. Marco felt he'd be safe there, but tied himself to the deck beneath him, just in case.

When the storm disappeared. Ace had his eyes shut and was still holding on, fur and hair soaked and flat. Marco flew up to him and sat on the yardarm. "Ace, the storm is over," Marco said gently. He put his hand on his back, and the little creature flinched. "Don't worry, you're safe now. We're safe," he soothed.

Ace relaxed his claws, and let Marco pick him up and bring him back onto deck. "Why don't we get some hot chocolate?" he asked, and the faupta nodded, walking inside on shaking legs, still scared. It had been sudden and he'd been caught off guard. Poor thing. Well, some hot chocolate should help warm him up.

When they entered the galley, Marco saw Thatch looking at a bloody knife. One of his cooking knives. He ran over, Ace following, legs not so shaky anymore. "What? What wrong?" he asked in worry. Thatch looked at his hand, staring at Marco dumbly.

The chef said, "I cut my arm on accident. But it's gone." Marco looked at the bloody arm, but there was no wound there. He took the arm and inspected it, but pushing on the skin didn't hurt. None of it did. He looked shocked, and Ace was worried. He asked if it was bad. "No, no, Ace. It's good. Thatch wasn't hurt."

Thatch suddenly said, "I have to stab Pops."

"WHAT?!"

"Ah! No, I didn't mean it like that! I mean, what if this has to do with Ace healing me? We should see if it works on Pops, too. Just a little injury, to see if it heals over. Then we can know with more certainty how this is possible." Marco nodded, snorting at how he worded it. Ace was confused.

"Ace do good?" he asked. Thatch said they were going to find out if the answer was yes or no. To see if his powers did anything for them. Ace ran out and to Pops, who was in his throne. He looked a bit distant, probably thinking about the traitor and how many times they'd gone to Fishman Island with him. Sick fuck. Who knows what he'd doing now, in Paradise.

Ace hopped onto Pops' knee, getting his attention and gesturing to Marco and Thatch, explaining shortly that Thatch got hurt but was better, now. Thatch had brought out the knife, and explained the situation. Of course Pops was fine with a small cut, and put his arm out. Thatch sliced a small cut into his arm. They watched as it bled, many coming over wondering why on earth they were cutting their father.

It sealed over, not a trace it was ever there besides the small amount of blood. Haruta came over, and said that it might have happened to all of them. Something strange, maybe. It was the New World, and Fishman Island was in the in the New World. So he offered to nick his own finger, but it didn't heal. He just got a bandaid put on it.

Whitebeard looked to Ace and said, "You can't use your healing power on anybody unless we give permission, okay?" Ace frowned, not understanding why, but he trusted the man and nodded, saying he wouldn't. "We can't let the wrong people get that power." Ace understood now and nodded again.

Then things resumed as normal.

Tons of fluffiness in the next chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.9K 489 14
After millions of people all over the world are mysteriously brought back to life, the Whitebeard pirates set out to reconstruct their family and cre...
141K 4.9K 50
Whitebeard Pirates x Child! Reader You're running from the events of your past, trying to get as far away from it as possible but life seems to love...
2.1K 49 18
You meet Portgas D Ace. At first he's hesitant to actually accept you and your crews help but eventually he gives in and it turns into something more.
4.7K 240 15
Blind Ace Au! Another compilation, one of stories about Ace's life if he was blind. He's of course together with Marco!