A Strange New Little Brother

By kittyface27

When the Whitebeards finds something has ransacked their food supply, they didn't expect to find some strange... More

The Mystery Stowaway
Getting To Know Ace and Bad News
New Adventures, And a Few Set Backs
Fishman Island
A Happy Time
Upsetting Times
A Return To Normal?
Vacation
Final Conclusion

The Faupta's Blessing

2.4K 58 11
By kittyface27

Marco did fall asleep, and when he woke, he showered and then got dressed, leaving the room and finding Pops smiling in amusement as he left his room. Marco asked what was funny. "Somebody came into the vent in my room last night, where he slept for a few hours. I found a pillow inside."

The first mate was shocked. Why would Ace have gone and slept in Pops' room? He asked if he was still there. But apparently he left once the sun rose, but left the pillow there, which the captain hadn't removed. They headed to breakfast, both intrigued. "Did you make a decision? About what to do?"

Whitebeard said he felt Ace would be easier to speak with now that he had human vocabulary a bit. He would speak with him, asking what he wanted to do. Marco raised his brows and then smiled. "You've grown attached, haven't you?" Pops denied it, but Marco knew he was lying. So, the man told the truth, and said he had a feeling that Ace could belong there if he had no home to go back to.

But first they needed to know why he didn't want to go back. Depending on the reason, they might take him back regardless. If it was a small problem, then they would judge it. But if it was something big, that would complicate things.

The two of them went to the room he'd been at the beginning of the night before he went to Pops' room, and found him under the blankets. "Ace? Ace, we have to speak with you," Marco said. There was movement under the blankets, but he didn't come out. So, he was awake. He didn't need to watch them to have a conversation.

Both of the higher ups entered the room and closed the door most of the way. There was a crack open in case he felt cornered. "Can you tell us why you don't wish to go back to the island?" They didn't know its name, so it was just "the island". Ace's head peeked out of the blankets. "Will you please tell us?" Marco asked, voice light and not a trace of any sort of threat in it. No impatience.

"Dey no like Ace," he said, vocabulary much better. But he might have spent much of the day before spying on people, hearing their conversations and picking up words and the ability to carry on a conversation. He wasn't mimicking anymore, but taking what he'd heard and using it.

Pops asked why the didn't like him. "Look diffrent," Ace replied. Marco asked if he looked different from others like him. He nodded, glaring at them, maybe thinking they were judging him. He was asked what others like him looked like. "All fur. Ace not all fur." He'd learned to speak so fast. It was incredible.

"Do they shun you?" Ace cocked his head. "They don't welcome you?"

"Ace wrong to dem," he replied. He could pronounce 't's now. Marco frowned for him, and so did Pops. Marco knew what it was like to be shunned by other people. When he ate his devil fruit as a child, he was rejected because he was a fruit user, which was seen as a curse on his home island.

"Would you like to stay with us? Instead of going back?" Pops offered. Ace narrowed his eyes suspiciously, and asked why. "I can read others well. I can read you, too. You are a good creature, I think you won't hurt us."

"No hurt anybody. Not know. Not stay, not know," Ace replied. Pops said he'd give him some time to think about it. Then he said, "No pet. Ace no pet."

Marco said they wouldn't think of him as a pet. He was too smart. Ace seemed to understand compliments somehow. His lips pursed, but Marco could tell it was some sort of smile. "We'll give you time to think. Would you like us to bring some food?" Ace nodded. So Marco and Pops left to the kitchen to get him some food.

It didn't really seem like he was picky. He had eaten all sorts of foods and nothing bad had happened to him. Maybe he could handle human food easily. They went into the kitchen, and Thatch handed them a plate. It had all sorts of breakfast foods on it. It was prepared for Ace, a bowl of water on the tray.

The two smiled and thanked him. They went back to the room that was opened just a crack and saw Ace was looking at the blanket with a clear frown. They saw that there was a hole in it. "Don't worry about that, nobody uses that blanket. Why don't you fix it?"

"Ace not much. Too much?"

"You can't heal things very often?" Marco asked for clarification. Ace shook his head. Said it made him sleepy. So it drained his energy. It was good to know. People wouldn't expect him to fix things if he did stay. They put the tray down, and Ace walked to it, on all sixes, and sniffed things before eating them.

He took some drinks from the water bowl. "We'll leave you to eat," Pops said, and the two of them left the room, closing the door almost all the way. Marco could hear Ace scarfing down the large helping of food. "He's gotten much better at speaking. I wonder if he could learn math, too," Marco mused.

"Who knows?" Whitebeard asked, but sounded very interested himself. "I do wonder what made him choose to sleep in my room. I would have expected it would be you." Marco nodded, agreeing with that.

Then he smiled and said everybody could agree that being with the captain was soothing. "Maybe he sensed that? I wonder why he looks different. Why he's not all fur. He has an almost human like face." Pops agreed with this. Maybe someday he could explain to them, if he knew why he looked that way.

When they got back to the kitchen, both men served themselves and went to the table, where Namur, Vista, Fossa and Haruta all were. Haruta asked how Ace was, knowing Thatch gave him food. "He slept in Pops' room. Dragged a pillow into the vent." The others were surprised with this. "Don't know why, and neither of us mentioned it."

Pops told them about why he didn't wish to go back to the island, and the commanders felt bad for him. Many knew what it was like to be shunned for their appearances. "I offered for him to stay if he wished. He needs time to think about it."

Vista asked if that was really a good idea. Marco reasoned that he couldn't see Ace getting violent after he was cornered and captured and hadn't attacked them even when Marco grabbed him. "I think he's good," Pops said, taking a long sip of his coffee. "But he won't be a sort of pet if he decides to stay."

Some of the commanders were reserved about it, but others didn't see any problem. As they heard the news as the table filled with the fifteen commanders. When Pops looked over Marco's shoulder, he turned around and saw Ace trotting over, holding the tray above his back. He was moving on the front arms and the back legs, with the middle limbs holding the tray above him.

But he stopped, clearly not knowing how to get everything in the sink. Thatch stood and walked over. Marco watched Ace get on guard until Thatch opened the dishwasher, the massive one, and explained that most dishes went in there, not the sink. He stood back as Ace put everything inside it.

Then he ran off, now on all six limbs. Thatch came back with a smile. "He said a thank you," Thatch said, sitting down and eating with a smile. "He's so adorable."

Atmos said he creeped him out a bit. "Cause he has six legs?" Marco wondered. "The other creatures in the forest of that island were much more unsettling. Fascinating, but unknown and unsettling," the blonde said. Haruta and Thatch nodded. The figures in the forest were much more creepy than Ace was. So fluffy.

After breakfast, Marco went looking for Ace, but couldn't find him until he caught a glimpse of something black on the highest yardarm. All of his claws were dug into the wood so he didn't risk falling. Marco climbed up the rat lines and then up the mast to sit next to him. He wished they knew what he was, so he didn't keep things of him as just a creature.

"Not bad person?" he asked. His voice still seemed like it wasn't meant to say the words, sounding garbled, but understandable. He didn't sound human in some way. He couldn't pinpoint what made his voice inhuman. Marco reiterated that they weren't bad people. They had some annoying members, some that weren't the nicest, but none were bad.

"What this ship?" When Marco said it was a pirate ship, Ace asked what a pirate was. "Somebody that goes on adventures on the sea. Gets into fights and battles. We're criminals. To the government, we're bad guys. But it's worth it. We visit all sorts of places." Ace didn't show any reaction, but then asked if he would go on islands. "If you want to. But I'm sure we'd want you to stay with one of us, just to be careful."

Ace nodded, and itched his cheek with one of his claws, not breaking the skin. They acted as fingers even though they were claws, deadly sharp at the tips. "Ace stay?" he questioned. Marco wasn't sure if he was talking to himself of Marco.

"You're welcome if you want to stay," Marco replied. He repeated his words, but this time not as a question. Marco smiled and welcomed him. Then he said they should give the news. He asked what news was. "Tell Pops that you want to stay. News is like something you want to confirm or let somebody know about."

They climbed down, Ace able to walk down face first, not climb down. Marco didn't fly down, not wanting to explain devil fruits at the moment. He walked with Ace inside, who glared at everyone that looked at him. It would fade, like it had with Marco. He was aggressive and hostile with him not long ago, but now he was civil.

Pops was in the library when Marco gave him the news. He smiled and welcomed Ace. "Ace not pet. Ace not human."

"What would you like to be called, then? We know you are neither. But does your kind have a name? Something we can identify you as?" the captain asked. Ace was sitting on his back legs, the middle two arms sort of curled inward while the front two were resting on the floor.

"Ace faupta," he replied. Marco repeated the word, and he nodded. Pops was glad they had something to call him now. He offered they go meet the commanders. He said that people would stare, but only because they'd never seen anything like a faupta. Marco was really glad they had something to call him. He felt insensitive just calling him a creature.

He wondered if all the creatures on that island had names for themselves. Could they all speak? Did they name themselves? It was interesting, and Marco dearly wished to visit again, but they wouldn't be since Ace decided to stay on the ship. It was surprising why he accepted so quickly. After one day, he stayed with them willingly.

While they went to collect the commanders, Ace following behind them, Marco asked why he decided to stay so soon. "Smell like good."

"We smelled like good people, or our scents smell good?" Marco asked. He said the former. Marco smiled, but Ace still was wary of people, glaring at them and moving to the side opposite of where they were. He was a fast walker, so the two didn't need to slow down for him with his much shorter legs.

Once the commanders were gathered, they were told about Ace accepting his offer to stay. They each gave their names and what division they were in charge of. Ace didn't understand what that meant. When he cocked his head, his ears flopped a bit. They were very heavy and large, so they didn't flop too much, but it was still cute.

Even with his intimidating claws and his sharp teeth, he was cute. His teeth weren't like humans, but they weren't fangs. Like a child's teeth but more sharpened. Small, but they looked like they'd leave a nasty bite wound.

"A commander and a division is a leader above a group of people." "Ace not human, no division." Pops said they weren't planning on it. He could roam the ship and do what he liked. He was told he was under nobody, but they would appreciate if he followed their rules when they were enforced. Just to make the ship more organized and to have everyone treated fairly. Ace agreed. He would listen to rules, but he said he wouldn't want to be ordered around a lot. "As long as you follow the main rule, you won't get orders. Such as not hurting anybody or anything, and also not eating when not given permission." Ace nodded. Agreeing to not harm anything, even if he was a bit annoyed about not being allowed to eat when he wanted.

"How about once we restock, and have plenty of food, we can have a store of snacks for you to have throughout the day? But we have limited food right now, so you won't eat too much." Ace apologized for eating everything.

"Ace not know not to eat. Eat good taste."

Thatch said he wasn't mad anymore, as long as he didn't do it again. Ace promised he wouldn't do it again. Many at the table were looking at him strangely. He really didn't look like anything they'd seen before, so it would take a bit for everybody to get used to him. "Is there anything you want us to know?" Pops asked.

"Ace sleep a lot. Sun make Ace sleepy," he replied, sitting propped up on his back legs without any of his arms on the table he was sitting on top of.

"Are you more awake at night? Nocturnal?" Haruta wondered. It sounded like he was, if he got tired during the day. Ace said he liked the dark more. That was confirmation enough. So, he was like a cat then? Slept during the day and then was awake at night? "Are you awake all night?"

Ace shook his head. He slept when he wanted to, but the dark was his favorite. He had no sleep schedule. He was awake when he wanted to be and asleep the rest of the time. They nodded in understanding. Marco was happy he would stay. It would be interesting. He wasn't a pet, but he wasn't a human brother. It was hard to place what he was on the crew.

They used to have a dog, the best boy Stefan, but Ace was not a simple minded animal. Not just because he could speak, but he had problem solving skills, too. And could do things a dog couldn't, like climb up things, use his hands like a human could. It was so interesting. After speaking a bit more, the meeting was adjourned.

Ace was allowed to go anywhere he wanted but the bedrooms with their doors closed. Ace asked if he could go take swims in the warm water. He was told that was fine as long as he didn't eat anymore soap. "Bubble things?" When that was confirmed, he said they tasted bad. Even though he'd taken bites out of multiple bars. Marco almost chuckled.

When they left the room, Ace went walked down the hall, inspecting things. Marco watched as he smelled the cracks under doors and went in all but the one that was a bedroom. He just opened the doors with a front hand and went inside. He didn't spend too much time in each one. Pops had them go and get the ship ready to leave.

They unfurled the sails, now knowing where they were going, and kept sailing to the next island. Marco wondered what normal people would think when they saw Ace. Of course nobody would put a leash on him, but they wanted him to stay close by. His claws were dangerous, and Marco had no doubt he'd defend himself, but nobody knew how he reacted to human products.

Pops sat in his throne, watching his children with a smile, sipping sake even though he'd been told countless times not to. After awhile, Ace came out of the ship and onto the deck. He was avoided as he went to the railing and looked over it. Marco was nervous seeing him perch on the railing.

"Don't worry. I think he has a good grip on it," the captain said, pointing out the middle arms gripping onto the railing just hard enough to not break it. The crew stayed away from Ace quite a bit, giving the faupta a large bubble of personal space. Then he saw something in the water, his tail flicking, but whatever it was lost his attention. He seemed to get bored with the scenery and walked over to them.

"What dis?" he asked, touching the large chair.

Marco said, "It's a very large chair. Humans sit on them for various reasons. Usually a chair would be used at a table, but we use the benches because it's easier with how many people sit at the tables," he explained in depth. He wanted Ace to know things in detail, so anything he asked, Marco would explain in detail.

"Is big. Why you so big? All bigger than Ace, but you very big," Ace asked, sitting at the foot of the chair. Pops invited him to sit on his lap. He was about he size of his hand, and Ace jumped up. If his claws dug into Pops' leg, his didn't show it.

His explanation was that there were all sorts of people of all sizes. "I do not know why some people are so large. Sometimes it is a bit frustrating, but not always." Ace cocked his head, asked what he didn't like. "Some things have to be sized just for me. Like this bottle of sake. It's much too big for anybody else. Some things are too small, like many books or utensils. We made do alright, and I'm glad I'm large and intimidating."

"Ace not scared of you." Pops laughed and said he didn't want to be. Then Ace sniffed something and it wrinkled his human like nose, perky but small. "You sick?" Marco stiffened. Pops gave him a smile, and then turned back to the faupta. "I am old. Some health problems come with old age." Ace asked like what. "I have heart and breathing problems. I often have oxygen when I'm sitting, but not right now. I'm drinking my sake and the nurses haven't come out to hound me."

Ace looked conflicted. "You not betray Ace?"

"Of course not," Whitebeard said, sounding almost offended. Ace dugs his claws into Pops' thigh and all of his fur puffed up. His pupils slitted and eyes widened. Marco was about to stop him, worried, but Pops didn't make a move. He was not in shock, he could stop Ace if he sensed danger.

Ace started to glow brightly, trembling before the light went into his hands and feet, which were firmly attached to the captain's leg. People started to gather, getting worried. The light went into Whitebeard, but then nothing happened and Ace fell to the side, unconscious. Pops took him into his hand in worry.

"What just happened? Are you okay? Do you feel okay?" Marco asked in worry, not having any clue about what just happened. Pops said he wasn't sure, but wanted to get a check up just in case something negative was going to happen. He had little dots of blood on his thigh. "Why did he do that?"

The captain told Marco to not be angry, he sensed no ill intent from their newest member. He kept Ace in one hand as they walked inside and to the infirmary. Marco was looking at the creature in his father's hand, worried that he'd just caused him some damage. He might not have realized it would hurt somebody, a human. After all, he'd never been around humans before.

He didn't know what they'd do if Ace had purposely injured the man, more than just the puncture wounds from his claws. When they entered the infirmary, the nurses were surprised, as it wasn't time for a check up. And they also looked wary of Ace, though they had gotten the news about him staying now, too, like everybody else.

Pops laid him down on one of the beds, making him look so tiny on the large bed made for Jozu or Atmos. They have a plethora of different sized mattresses since the sizes of crew members varied so widely. The captain asked for a check up, but didn't give a reason why, so the nurses were a bit confused, but did the check up.

Marco watched the nurses nervously, searching for any look of alarm they might let slip. This check up was longer than most, which worried the first division commander. Pops was perfectly patient. Ace slept through the whole thing. Marco worried about the silence and mutters of the nurses.

Finally, after an annoyingly long amount of time, Whiskey asked if he'd taken anything odd. Whitebeard asked what they meant. "Well, many of your symptoms of health problems are gone. I don't know what caused this." Marco's eyes widened, and his head jerked to look at Ace, who was still sleeping deeply.

Whitebeard seemed perfectly calm, not looking overly surprised, but pleased. "I think we can thank Ace for this," Marco said. He went and sat next to the faupta. He wouldn't wake him up. "We shouldn't tell anybody about it. They might want Ace to fix any of their chronic health problems."

Whiskey asked what they were talking about, what Ace had to do with anything. "Ace repaired something yesterday that was broken, but he never said anything about fixing people. How did he know to do this? No other humans were at that island," Marco mused. Maybe it was just an instinct, he knew how to heal other creatures, so why wouldn't it work on a human? Pops stood up with a smile, and picked Ace back up, limp in his hands. He was so small to Whitebeard. Marco had watery eyes, and wiped them.

"Son, I am still old," Pops said kindly.

"I know. But some of your health problems are gone. At least for the moment, and that is so much better than nothing," Marco said with a wobbly smile. Pops smiled down at him. It seemed like he was happier about this than the one who was just healed. Maybe it was because they didn't know how long it would last. Maybe it was temporary.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

545 23 6
Ace has officially joined them, The Whitebeards, and he is a perfect addition and has been for months, and is now up to be a commander. But now, ever...
4.7K 238 15
Blind Ace Au! Another compilation, one of stories about Ace's life if he was blind. He's of course together with Marco!
26.6K 1.2K 10
This is based on a request from the lovely @AbyssCronica You've been blind to things that have been going on around you. Maybe you didn't want to se...
127K 5.7K 41
𝐇𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐑𝐞𝐝; 𝐄𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐠𝐲, 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧, 𝐏𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞. 𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐤 𝐫𝐞𝐝; 𝐀𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫, 𝐃𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐚...