New Heights (ONGOING)

By THE_HEADKAY

I felt his hand as it gently pushed the strands of hair that were blocking his view of my face, behind my sho... More

• 1 •
• 2 •
• 3 •
• 4 •
•6•
•7•
•8•
• 9 •
•10•
•11•
•12•
•13•
•14•

• 5 •

429 21 5
By THE_HEADKAY

I groaned out in agony as the annoying sound of my alarm blared throughout the room. I reached out fumbling around the nightstand for my phone, desperately trying to hit snooze while my head was still buried under the covers. Since my hand alone couldn't seem to do the job, I agitatedly perked my head up getting on my elbows. Opening my eyes, I found that the thing had been right by my finger the entire time.

"Well ain't this 'bout a..." I mumbled to myself, sitting up fully.

After allowing myself a moment to realize where I was and fully wake up, I said my prayer starting my day the same way I usually do. I stood up stretching as I made my way to the bathroom to handle my morning routine.

As I walked out of the bathroom with my towel wrapped tightly around my body, I made my way into the closet thinking about how ready I was for the semester to be over. I know that it's only been a month since classes began, but I've been doing this school thing for a long time and honestly I'm ready to wrap it up. Thankfully my professor cancelled class tomorrow leaving my Friday wide open. Ecstatic wasn't even the word to describe how I was feeling about a long weekend.

The only thing keeping me sane is that I only have two more semesters to go including this one and then I can finally start work in my field.

Psychology has always been a love of mine. When I was a little girl one of my favorite things to do was "people watch". I know it sounds creepy, but I just found comfort in observing others and how they speak, taking note of their true emotions. After seeing we're all the same on some basic level, it made me feel like I could relate to anyone. When it came time for my senior year of high school it was a no brainer of what I would declare as my major. Becoming a psychologist was always the plan because it has always been a passion.

With that in mind, I need to get going.

I looked down to see the time. For someone who hated running late, I sure did manage to always be late. I huffed and hurriedly slipped on the outfit I'd taken out for today after deciding comfortability was definitely the way to go... as I do every day I have class.

Running to the mirror I quickly slipped off my bonnet and unwrapped my edges, allowing my braids to fall free.

"Ugh. It's almost time for me to get these redone." I mumbled to myself while laying down my baby hairs. I'm one of those people whose hair grows a little too fast which is a blessing... unless I have a protective style in. Then it almost feels like a curse.

Inconvenience is a better word.

Glancing at the clock, I saw that I had no time to really do anything to my face so since I'd already done my morning skincare I decided to go bare faced. And though I hated to walk outside without my brows done, the pair the Lord blessed me with would just have to do for today.

Not like I'll see anybody important anyways. And going to a PWI meant that most of the guys weren't attractive to me or they weren't into "girls like me".

Which is an amazing thing, because I'm not into dudes like them.

After running a spoolie and some brow gel through my eyebrows to at least tame them, I put on some lipgloss, and sprayed one of my favorite scents by Burberry over myself. Seconds later, I was out the door with my bag thrown onto my shoulder.

Just as I was locking up, I turned around and bumped into Phoenix who was making his way off the elevator.

"Well good mornin' to you too. You rushin 'round this early mamas?" He asked curiously as he drunk what looked like a milkshake, but I'm sure started off as coffee.

I rolled my eyes as I looked up at him before squeezing past.

"Phoenix I told you to stop calling me that. And why are you drinking sugar this early in the morning? Didn't you just workout?" I asked as I quickly made my way to the elevator, pressing the button.

He let out a light laugh. "I'm sorry it's just you always actin' like a nigga mama." he answered slyly.

I cut my eyes up at him. He knows I hate for him to refer to himself that way. Some people don't mind, but I just don't care to hear black people call themselves the same names that were used to degrade our ancestors. I understand it's become normalized, but I don't know.

Not for me.

"See what I mean." He smirked seeing the look I was giving him.

"I like it though." He finished, still holding that same look as he took another quick sip of his drink.

I rolled my eyes, reaching out to press the button again a few more times. I looked down at my phone, seeing the time. I need to be gone.

And just like clock work the elevator dinged and I watched as the doors opened. I stepped on pressing the lobby as my destination, and was ready to be on my way.

And then I saw a large hand.

I huffed in annoyance looking up at Phoenix who was now standing, or should I say leaning, in the way of the elevator doors.

"Phoenixxx come onnn..." I whined out, not wanting to be any later than I already was. "Get out the way dude, I'm late for class.Why you pickin' with me?" I asked agitatedly.

"Cut all the whinin' out. I'm about to let you go. I just wanna know when we gon' hang. It's been a minute and we suppose to be friends and whatnot." He said, enjoying the whole idea of this friend thing a little too much.

"Friends chill." He ended, looking at me intently.

I looked up in frustration before turning my eyes back to his. "I've been busy with classes Phoenix. You know that. I'm sure you've been occupied too." I responded.

"Yea I know you been workin and I respect that. I just can't help but to feel like you been dodging." He said honestly.

I looked away knowing that there was a bit of truth to what he'd been feeling. Aside from us texting here and there, we haven't really talked much since classes started. I've just been a little apprehensive about him and the attention he's been showing, but it's only because I get a weird feeling when I'm around him.

And it's nothing bad or negative, yet that's what scares me the most. I'm not even able to really put my finger on what it is exactly, but it's just... a feeling. If it was negative then at least I'd be able to clearly identify what it was.

And the fact that I can't even wrap my own head around it frustrates the hell out of me. I hate not knowing what I'm feeling. So I've just been trying to steer clear and keep to my self.

But...

Phoenix is a good guy. This is really unfair to him. Especially when I did agree to give this friendship a shot.

I looked up, staring into his puppy-like gaze that was trained on me. "Okay Phoenix. I'm free tomorrow. We can hang then if you're not busy." I said, giving in to those eyes and the sincerity in them.

I watched as his face lit up and that infamous smile made its way back to its rightful place.

"Imma come over tomorrow afternoon. I'll be free." He said.

I nodded, telling him to just text me the plan before hitting the button for the doors on the elevator. Just as they started to close, he interrupted again making me groan out loud.

I looked up at him with annoyed, wide eyes.
"What Phoenix?" I asked impatiently.

"You wasn't gone say bye?" he said trying to hide his smile.

And failing.

I rolled my eyes, feeling a smile of my own breakout as I tried to conceal it at his antics. I let out a slight laugh saying goodbye, and pushing him away from the doors. I watched on as he stood wearing a humorous smile with his eyes on mine, until the metal doors blocked our view of one another.

Laughing to myself I looked at the time again, seeing that I now had only 20 minutes left to get to campus, find parking, and walk to my class.

"This boy owes me." I said aloud as I walked off of the elevator, rushing outside determined to beat the clock.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 37.1K 48
BOOK 1 MATURE CONTENT 18+ Read at your own risk I slowly lifted the thin long sleeve over her head and she sat up a little in the process to help me...
663K 39.8K 58
Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it a memory... You know you're in love when you can say anything to the person and you know t...
231K 11.4K 74
He kept on staring at me but I ignored him, at least I tried to. He was sitting right beside me and although I was looking at the board I still could...
1.9M 60.6K 50
I can't help the moan that escapes my mouth at the taste of her tongue against mine, and my hips pulse reflexively up to meet hers. But before I can...