𝗽𝗮𝗿𝗮𝗱𝗶𝘀𝗲, steve harri...

By S4LTBURN

𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 dustin henderson's sister becomes far more involved with the mystery of will byer's disappea... More

# 𝟬𝟬𝟬 ━━ ( 𝗣𝗔𝗥𝗔𝗗𝗜𝗦𝗘 )
━━━ # 𝟬𝟬𝟭 ( 𝗔𝗖𝗧 𝗢𝗡𝗘 )
01. WALKIE-TALKIE BLUES
02. A NOBLE WAY TO GO
03. BUGGED LINES
04. INDIANAPOLIS
05. ELEVEN
06. THE HARRINGTON HOUSE
07. GOOD MORNING
08. OVER AND OUT
09. SPECULATIONS
10. THE FUNERAL
11. NO LONGER NORTH
12. TROUBLE AT THE HAWK
13. WE'RE ALL HERE
14. THE BATH
15. ABANDONMENT OF THE PARTY
16. UNLIKELY AID
EPILOGUE
━━━ # 𝟬𝟬𝟮 ( 𝗔𝗖𝗧 𝗧𝗪𝗢 )
18. LATE AWAKENINGS
19. ALL HALLOWS' EVE
20. KEG STANDS
21. FALLING JUST A LITTLE
22. SHIT AIN'T RIGHT
23. IS IT REAL NOW?
24. HOW DO I KNOW FOR SURE?
25. DAZED AND CONFUSED
26. COLLEGE ESSAYS
27. THE CLEAN UP
28. SLEEPOVERS
29. HUNTING A MUSKETEER
30. SADIE'S HYPOTHESES
31. THE DEATH OF A HERO
32. THEORISING
33. A SPY
34. ON THE BENCH
35. THE ZOOMER
36. THE TRANSIT OF VENUS
37. TWO BABYSITTERS
EPILOGUE
━━━ # 𝟬𝟬𝟯 ( 𝗔𝗖𝗧 𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘 )
38. LAZY, HAZY DAYS
39. THE HENDERSON WAY
40. SUMMER HORROR
41. NIGHTMARES
42. LIGHTS OUT
43. RETURN OF THE BARD
44. RUSSIAN TRANSMISSIONS
45. QUANTUM PHYSICS, BABY

17. FAME, CARRIE AND CAMAROS

8.6K 219 67
By S4LTBURN

╭                                                                 ╮
━━━━ " 📂  "

𝙋 𝘼 𝙍 𝘼 𝘿 𝙄 𝙎 𝙀

╰                                                               ╯

HAWKINS, INDIANA
1984

"YOU KNOW YOU DON'T HAVE to drive me everywhere, right?" In a fashion now so familiar to Sadie, a thirteen year old Dustin Henderson had a wrinkle in his nose that equated to teenage annoyance, focus on his sister in the driver's seat beside them as they headed towards the arcade once again. "I have got legs, and I do have a bike."

"Yeah - and it's in the back." Sadie rolled her eyes. "Hey - nothing changed that much this year; your friends still love me and I'm still your older sister who is willing to do things for you. Find other teenage girls like that. You can bike back, but I'm going that way anyway so I might as well as drop you off."

"Yeah, but it's so not cool." Dustin complained, slumping in his seat. "Will-"

"Will hates it just as much as you do. It'll make him feel better to see you being dropped off that way." She replied, rather matter-of-factly. "And I don't blame Mrs Byers for being a little more protective when it comes to cycling home after dark. It's almost the anniversary now. Its - what.. a week away?"

"Yeah." Dustin nodded, swallowing. "I guess that's a pretty good reason. But only this time, right?"

"Sure, only this time." Sadie nodded. "Besides, I'm going to Family Video to pick up a movie. Rosemary's Baby if they have it or Carrie - ooh Carrie.. or if they don't have any others.. I'll go for Fame again."

"Swear the entire place relies on you renting that every few weeks." Dustin grumbled. "Don't rent Fame once and the place goes bankrupt."

Sadie swung around into the parking lot. "Shut up." She rolled her eyes, coming to a stop. "Is that a Camaro - no way. Californian plates... Z-28, 1979 maybe?" She peered at it through the window of her car, not really noticing the girl sat inside it ducking down.

She paused, turning back to Dustin, who was staring at her. "What?" She asked.

"Nothing." Dustin pushed the car door open, Sadie copying his actions and standing up, shutting it behind her with extra car prior when opening it. "Just didn't realise you knew so much about cars."

"I don't.. just some of them. And this car is... never mind. You need some more quarters?" Sadie asked, digging into the bag swinging from her side and extracting a small purse. "Here - share some of it with the boys and.. use this to buy me some candy."

"You think? Nuh-uh, this is going straight to Dragon's Lair." Dustin stared at the bill before pocketing it. "Enjoy your film."

"Look out for Will." Sadie called over her shoulder as she pulled her jacket further over her shoulders and tugging down the hem of her sweater to cover her midriff as she headed towards the Family Video store to the left of the bustling Palace Arcade, which was practically overflowing with kids - despite it being a Monday evening - as they spent all the quarters they could manage to scrape together the night before Halloween.

The arcade seemed to have become a place for the group to meet up since it re-opened at the end of summer. She was pretty sure the newest buyer had been the guy who brought the shop down the road from Bradley's Big Buy that always caused the owner grief - most teenagers made purchases from the smaller convenience store on account of the cashier being very lenient on age guidelines - and the newest buy was planning on purchasing a store in the mall being built in the town.

They were pretty lucky it had come into new management, because after last year there was no way Will could just hang out anywhere. The arcade had people - way too many people, really - and for Mrs Byers that ensured Will's safety.

But as for now, Sadie would pass the swimming-pool-blue Camaro with only a glance of interest, not wanting to cause too much discomfort to the girl sat inside it, and reach the swinging doors into the Family Video.

"Oh great, it's you." A groan from the counter told Sadie exactly who was working, and a second later she was rolling her eyes. "Come on, Henderson, we work together for like a whole year and suddenly you ignore me."

"I like to pretend it didn't happen." Sadie grimaced as she turned towards Eric. "You know, considering you were a total pain in my ass the entire time and asked way too many annoying questions."

"Aren't you just a delight." Eric cooed, before rolling his eyes. "Always brightens my day when you come in here. What you looking for, Fame again? Or are you planning on being a little riskier and go for Grease? Hey - we just got Annie back, what about that?"

"And how do you like to entertain yourself, Eric? A magazine, maybe? Not that you would like anything remotely educational considering you can't pass a class to save your life."

"Fuck off Sadie."

"Gladly." The girl turned away, heading towards her usual section and scanning the selection there. Fame was sat there, as usual, but she couldn't tell if she actually wanted to watch it. "Hey, Eric, I know you told me to fuck off and all but I wanna know if you have Carrie in?"

"Should do." Came the brief reply, and as Sadie went to move away she paused, before retrieving Fame anyway and turning back towards the various other racks.

"Oh." She breathed out, coming to a very sudden stop. A barrier of denim, blond hair and a Virgin Mary pendant hanging from the chain around his neck appeared in front of her, stopping her in her tracks. "Hi, can I help?" Sadie assumed what she hoped to be her nicest tone - but there was no way this guy was nice.

"You're a local, right?" The boy asked, blue eyes flickering up and down her body rather quickly, before coming to land to rest on her face as she nodded. "Any idea where I can find cigarettes, Sadie?" He asked.

"Hmm.." Sadie stared up at his face for a moment before glancing to the side, meeting Eric's eyes as he shrugged. "The shop we used to buy them from changed staff a couple months ago and now they won't sell to high school students. I am guessing-"

"Yeah, I'm seventeen."

"Huh, really?" Sadie swallowed. "Well, if you can't be bothered to drive over to the next town then Carol Perkin's brother is home and he hangs around the Hideaway on a Monday night."

"Isn't the legal age sixteen?" Eric called over, and she sincerely regretted the fact she didn't have the close-proximity needed to punch him in the face.

"Yeah, not according to Larry Kline and his multitude of investors looking to built the Mall, Eric." Sadie scoffed, before looking back at the stranger. "I have a couple cartons in the car that I won't smoke-"

"I didn't know you smoked, Henderson. Boy, I had way too many conversations with you about how bad smoking must be last year to be listening to this."

"Shut the hell up, Eric. Everything's good in moderation, meaning that I won't die from having a cigarette every half year." She turned back to the boy once again. "Sorry - er - so, you want them?"

"Nah, I'm good." Billy's eyebrows darted up slightly as he licked his lips before taking a step back. "You wouldn't happen to know where I can get good music that isn't revolved around trashy bands from the last decade, because that's all your friend seems to have here."

"I told you when you first complained, I don't choose what we stock." Eric huffed. "Now are you actually going to buy anything or do I have to ask you to leave, Sir. I'm not afraid to kick you out."

"Please." Sadie scoffed. "You're a year older than him and you're not even gonna make it off the bench in your senior year."

"You don't know shit about basketball, who the hell told you that?"

"Steve. Also told me the highest he's seen you jump was less than a foot, so really, really, did you think it was a possibility?" Sadie cocked an eyebrow. "Sorry about him, anyways, Bob Newby at Radio Shack sells some extra music on the side, and if you threaten Eric enough then he'll show you the extra stock the owner sent out but he doesn't bother to put on the shelves because he wants to buy it himself." Billy nodded, taking a moment to consider his options.

"How do you know that?" Eric sniped. "I'm so glad we don't work together anymore."

"Ditto. Nice car, by the way." Sadie said, when she saw Billy setting off towards the door. He muttered what she hoped to be a 'thanks' before slipping the tape he had been holding onto the front desk and disappearing out of the doors.

Finally, Sadie picked up Carrie from the shelf across the store and made her way to the front desk, peering at the label on the tape left behind. "Cujo, huh." She placed the two of her own down, reaching for her purse. "Can't believe you got rid of potential clientele."

"Only because you made me look like a pussy." Eric muttered. "I was only trying to stop him from doing something - did you see him? You're oblivious."

"I can protect myself, Eric." Sadie rolled her eyes. "What is it with you people thinking I need someone to protect me. What would you have done if he wanted a fight, huh? Because I'm pretty sure I know more about what to do in face of that than you do."

"Oh yeah? Did Steve teach you it?"

"My God." The girl stared, and realising that he potentially offended her even more, Eric didn't take it back, just smirked even more. "Who said I need anyone to teach me anything? It's a good job I also taught myself about peaceful tactics as well."

"I am just the luckiest!" Sarcasm dropped from his tone. "Ten dollars."

"Ten?!"

"Carrie is a Halloween film. They're in high demand and cost extra." He droned, watching as the girl placed two five dollar bills in his hand. "Thank you for renting from Family Video." He added.

"I heard Keith was looking to take over your job, might want to be a little more chipper, or else this time next year my money will be taken by a guy who constantly has Cheeto dust up to his elbow." Sadie offered him a smile more akin to a disgusted frown than anything as she took the tapes and made her way out, trying to decide whether or not she needed to get candy, or if there would even be any left considering the ability that small town moms had to drain their town of any sweets in the run up to Halloween.

So much so that she hardly noticed the retreating growl of a car that could only be the Camaro, and didn't even glance over at the BMW currently taking it's former spot, too focused on re-reading the blurb across the back.

"Fame again?" A voice asked, and she looked up to see Steve leaning against the hood of his car as she walked by, the girl coming to a stop.

"Don't you know it!" Sadie looked far too cheerful despite the argument that had occurred during the past ten minutes, and the fact she had caught the attention of someone less than desirable, no matter how good looking he was. "Decided to get Carrie too, just to even it out, seeing as Halloween is on..."

"Wednesday." Steve finished for her. "For someone so smart it's crazy how often you forget what date it is. You see that Camaro earlier?"

"Mhm, cool car but the guy who owns it is a predictable douche. Our age though." Sadie replied. Steve turned backwards as he watched the road the way that the car had disappeared. "People who own cars like that are never the nicest."

"And you know from experience?" Steve questioned when he looked back at her, watching the change in expression. "I can't really argue with you though, almost ran me off the road so... duly noted. New guy is a dick."

"Mhm. Eric's also working tonight, if you're here for a movie. I kinda mentioned you told me that he would never come off the bench."

Steve paused, hand reaching for the neck of his jumper and running his thumb under it. "Eh, you know, probably won't and he knows it." He wasn't friends with Eric - no, they pretty much despised each other - but the one thing he did know about him was that he was the only person who really didn't get along with Sadie Henderson, past snarky remarks made by people like Carol... even though she was getting better these days. "What do you think Nancy will want to watch tonight?"

"Oh - Risky Business." Sadie was quick to answer, the same for the expression on his face wondering why. "She told me about the Halloween costumes.

"Did she really - think I'll make a good Tom Cruise?" He asked, digging into his pockets and pulling out the Wayfarers from his pocket, sliding them over his nose and adjusting them, listening as Sadie laughed at him. He held his hands up. "What do you think?"

"Honestly? They're perfect for the outfit but make you look a little bit more idiotic." Sadie replied. "Now that is just a little tiny bit, so don't worry about it, you're too far gone in the douche department for this to matter all that much."

"I'm not that bad... anymore. You wouldn't have any idea where they keep Risky Business? Eric didn't like me way before you told him about the bench stuff." Steve pulled the glasses from his face, tucking them in his pocket.

"Yeah he doesn't like me either.. er - check the 'popular' section, and if it's not there then it's either rom-com, teen, coming-of-age or the section with all the moves arranged by specifc actors. It'll be next to All the Right Moves and The Outsiders." Sadie replied. It was rather clear just how much time she spent in the store picking out movies, and she wasn't all that embarassed about it at all. "Oh, and how's your essay going?"

"Awful."

"So you're having a movie night on a Monday instead of writing it?"

"Pretty much."

"Fair enough." Sadie shrugged. "You're pretty lucky if you find it, by the way. It's usually rented out whenever I wanted it." She glanced towards the arcade, her gaze passing through the windows and seeing the back of who was clearly Keith stood in front of three very familiar boys. "If they're bargaining me off for a date again..." She muttered, no attention paid to whether Steve could hear her or not. "Have fun, Steve."

"You too." Steve nodded towards her, watching as she made her way towards the Palace Arcade, pausing for only a moment to do so before turning towards Family Video and heading inside.

Sadie passed by the door to her car, knowing she'd need to scavenge a couple coins from the small dip in the center console of her car that most certainly wasn't made for keeping things like spare change, hair ties and the tiny parts of pencils whem they got too small for her to write with.

But as she reached the door, placing the films in the passenger seat, she paused.

Across from her, just out from beneath the lengthy overhang that jutted out from the side of the arcade, staring up at the rotating sign, was a boy. Not just any boy - and he wasn't just staring.

It was Will, frozen in place, eyes wide as he looked around the world in front of him.

Seconds later, and Sadie knew what was happening, abandoning her movies, car and search for change as she crossed over the small distance between them.

Dustin had told her all about his visions and she had even gone with him to one of the appointments at the lab before - purely out of interest to what they did and Will was happy to aid her, saying something about how she helped rescue him and that she deserved it.

It seemed that no matter whether they returned him from the Upside Down, he would still have a piece of it within him. In this case, the piece that sticked with him wasn't just the memories and the PTSD that came along with it, but also something physical, that affected his brain.

And now his days would be interrupted every now and again. Suddenly, he wouldn't see the Hawkins that everyone else did. He would see the Upside Down for small flickers of time, and Sadie had no idea how terrifying that must have been.

Coming to a stop in front of him, Sadie couldn't believe how strange it felt to see a person staring right at her yet didn't see her at all, and swallowing, she glanced around.

The boys were still too preoccupied inside, and without any other idea of what to do, she placed her hands on his shoulders and shook. "Will!" She shouted. "Will!"

There was no response, his eyes still wandering. Sadie shook harder. "Will - come on! Will!" She hissed. Behind him, the door swung open and Mike appeared, having turned around to look for his friend only to find him gone completely.

"Is he there?" Mike asked, watching as she nodded her house and shouted again, a sigh of relief released by both of them as Will suddenly gasped and came to, eyes landing on the girl in front of him.

"Oh thank God." Sadie took a step back, hands on her hips as she breathed out pure relief into the night sky. "You okay? You're fine - feeling fine, everything feeling good?"

"What?" Will stuttered out, looking between Sadie and Mike. "Yeah - yeah, I'm fine." He nodded. "I feel fine. It was just.. a moment. I needed some air." His eyes were past the Henderson girl though, somewhere over the town.

"Okay." Sadie nodded.

"Come on, you're up on Dig Dug." Mike was saying, stepping forward and placing an arm over his shoulders and leading him back inside. "Oh - Sadie, Dustin said he'd go home in about an hour."

"Right." She nodded. "Tell him not to worry, just... have fun, okay?"

Mike nodded and the two boys disappeared inside.

Suddenly, watching Carrie and Fame seemed insignificant and so, so stupid.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3K 270 11
Dustin has a sister. One who's much cooler than Nancy, one who picks the guys up from AV club, and one who even sits in on their Dungeons and Dragons...
59.2K 1K 42
Different Eddie Munson x fem reader.. aka y/n :) Please vote and make requests!! All rights for the characters belong to Stranger Things and the Duff...
61K 831 26
Y/N Henderson who is Dustin's sister finds out she has powers and Is taken to the lab where they do experiments on her and one day she escapes and re...
17 0 9
When Diana Henderson gets dragged into one of her brother's crazy adventures. She learns she knew absolutely nothing an about the world around her. B...