In Sign Language, I Hear You...

By Slyphd

It was only when the bloodshed through her face, and the sirene sound went wild. At that moment, she then kno... More

Sign One
Sign Two
Sign Three
Sign Four
Sign Five
Sign Six
Sign Eight
Sign Nine
Sign Ten
Sign Eleven
Sign Twelve
Sign Thirteen
Sign Fourteen
Sign Fifteen
Sign Sixteen
Sign Seventeen
Sign Eighteen
Sign Nineteen
Sign Twenty
Sign Twenty One
Sign Twenty Two
Intermezzo
Sign Twenty Three
Sign Twenty Four
Sign Twenty Five
Sign Twenty Six
Sign Twenty Seven
Sign Twenty Eight
Sign Twenty Nine
Sign Thirty ( End of Season 1)
Sign Thirty One
Sign Thirty Two
Sign Thirty Three
Sign Thirty Four
Sign Thirty Five
Sign Thirty Six
Sign Thirty Seven
Sign Thirty Eight
Sign Thirty Nine
Sign Forty
Sign Forty One
Sign Forty-Two
Sign Forty-Three
Sign Forty-Four
Sign Forty-Five
Sign Forty-Six
Sign Forty-Seven
Sign Forty-Eight
Sign Forty-Nine
Sign Fifty
Sign Fifty One
Another Intermezzo : About Althera
Sign Fifty-Two
Sign Fifty-Three
Sign Fifty-Four
Sign Fifty-Five
Sign Fifty-Six
Sign Fifty-Seven
Sign Fifty-Eight
Sign Fifty-Nine
Sign Sixty
Sign Sixty-One
Another Intermezzo
Sign Sixty-Two
Sign Sixty-Three
Sign Sixty Four
Sign Sixty-Five
Sign Sixty Six
Sign Sixty Seven
Sign Sixty Eight
Sign Sixty Nine ( End of Season 2 )
Sign Seventy
Sign Seventy One
Sign Seventy Two
Sign Seventy Three
Another Intermezzo!
Sign Seventy Four
Sign Seventy Five
Sign Seventy Six
Sign Seventy Seven
Sign Seventy Eight
Sign Seventy Nine
Sign Eighty
Eighty One
Sign Eighty Two
Sign Eighty Three
Sign Eighty Four
Sign Eighty Five
Sign Eighty Six
Sign Eighty Seven
Another Repeated Intermezzo!
Sign Eighty EIght
Sign Eighty Nine
Sign Ninety

Sign Seven

787 38 6
By Slyphd

READING GUIDANCE

" This is a direct sentence in the present time."

" This is a direct sentence in the past time."

' This is inside character's mind sentence in the present time.'

'This is inside character's mind sentence in the past time.'

[ This is direct sentence in sign language in the present time.]

[ This is direct sentence in sign language in the past time.]

HAPPY READING!

Last Revision: 31/10/2022

.

.

.

.

.

" Sister, I will go to the school! See you later, and have a fun day at your work! " and Arisha runs all the way out of their house after finishing her breakfast and grabs her lunchbox. She did the sign language so fast, Irisha found it hard to understand. However, It's been three months since they both moved to the capital city of the Malum Empire, and it seems Arisha enjoys her life here every day. She has entered the academy near their house and has many friends that every time she came home, she will play with them in the afternoon. 

Well after Arisha goes to school, her daily life then begins. It will start by doing some house chores like laundry, cooking, and tidying up a little bit. After that, she will take a bath and prepare to go to work. She will take her lunchbox, her bag and also her note. Wear warm clothes because the wind here is totally different from when she is still in the village.

" Ah, hello," said Miranda, that Irisha will meet every day in her little garden. She greets her and then will focus on her garden again in a second. Gives an impression that she does not really want to get involve with Irisha and It is okay for her, but, her expression shows so much that she feels awkward toward her. Of course, it's not a relationship Irisha wanted to have with her landlord. Yet, every time she tries to get closer or creates a comfortable relationship, Miranda just backs off and smiles accordingly.

Despite all of that, she lives her life quite smoothly. In the beginning, she is not expecting someone will accept her like people in the village or people like Rosan and Haya. She expects something unpleasant to happen to her and that is why she does not really pay much attention if it really did happen. To see Arisha's smile and to view and feel this beautiful scenery that always amazed her is more than enough.

" Ah, you here," the horseman that keeping her horse in public stable said confusedly. " Can you hear me?" and seemed to talk to her but she could not understand. 

[ Could you please write it down?} and even though she gives her note of what she is saying, the man just brushes her off.

" No, no, no! just get your horse, I don't have time." again, she could not understand. She waits for what he is saying but he just goes off to other people. She then tries to find her own horse by herself because this public stable has so many people leaving their horses in this horse's 'daycare'. After a while, she found it and lead a brown horse out from the stable, and once it is out, she will just drag him without riding it, while people there always give her their unpleasant stares and talk to each other while looking at her. 

Of course, she could just ride it now as it is okay to ride a horse on the main road but, she once had a very unpleasant situation and she just learned from that situation. It was not long after she learned to ride a horse, she rode her horse as soon as she was out of the stable and went through the first gate. She was looking to her front not knowing that someone with a big carriage called her loud to let him pass as it was an important carriage sent by the imperial palace and needed to go to the delivery place in urgent. Yet, she deaf so she could not hear anything, the thing she just knew was- a sudden grabbed on her hand that pulled her with a force. She was riding a horse, and she was not expecting a sudden force to pull her down, so she was fell so hard from her horseback. It was hurt so bad, but she was not given time to rest for a while because that old man was fumed. He grabbed her collar and force her to stand, he seemed to yell at her so hard and became angrier as she was not answering. She tried, but... she is muted. It seemed his voice so loud that he could not realize that she was disabled.

" ARE YOU MOCKING ME?!" And she was pushed hard after she tried to let him go and wrote down something quickly. 

There were so many people watching her, but no one came to them. Until some guards came and separated them. The old man seemed to do some talking and pointed her with his fierce expression. At that time she just calmed her down while writing something down... she saw her hands trembling, and it was hard to write...

.. yet she tried. 

Then when a knight came to her and seemed to talk to her, she gave the note.

[ I am sorry if I do something wrong, but, I am deaf and muted. Please write it down to make me understand.] her hand was trembling so hard but she was trying to hold it, as it was her first time surrounded by many people that looked at her in a very unpleasant way. The knight that saw her note looked at her with a mixed expression between confused and disbelief. She had to try to speak and let them hear her voice that could not speak a word so they then let her be. Turned his back to the old man, who gave her a death glare. 

The knights were not let her go just like the old man, they brought her to their office and asked her family's address or family's information that could pick her up. Of course, she could not give Arisha's whereabouts even though she is her only family. Yet, they also did not seem to let her go. So, she gave Rosan's information and they sent word to them. She had to wait for one hour until Rosan came. Rosan was so mad at the knights and it was really scary. 

Rosan only stopped when Irisha grabbed her with her trembling hands.

Only when she then came to their office in Montar City, Rosan apologized to her.

" I am so sorry, it is my fault not to think further about it," she said. "It's not once but twice... I -"

[It's okay, I personally still learn how to adjust in society. So, I am okay.] she said while smiling, but Rosan seemed not satisfied. Especially, when Irisha was also had a hard time when using public transportation. It was like a bus, but a carriage that has many seats. It was okay if there was not that crowded, but if it was crowded, she could not get to the coachman and will end up somewhere far. It was a very unpleasant experienced when she screamed so hard but no one could understand her and thought she was crazy. Every time she tried to give them her note, they will just run away. The expression of them was still vividly there, and she just surrendered with the condition. 

She learned from her lesson so, that is why she still has not ridden the horse yet until she reaches the gate. Then once she does, she will ride it because the road is so much larger and she will take the very edge of the side so there will be no people blocked by her.

Then, she will be enjoyed the very beautiful scenery with a strong breeze coming to her face. Calming herself down with the fantastic scenery and the stunning sky. Breathe the refreshing fresh air.

" Woa..." as usual, the dragons that fly above her are still magnificent to be seen.

***

.

.

" Here! Here!" and after a long ride, she finds Haya, as usual, waving his hand, in the front gate of the Montar city. On that point, he will take the ride and take her into the office. After that, she will do some paperwork as Rosan's assistant. She will look at the financial matters and do some accounting too. Only in this place people will be patient enough with her, because if they don't, Rosan will give them some good lesson that they will rather not have. Irisha does not really support that method, but, sure in this place, she could feel safer.

[ This, this, and this are the best places to help us sell our furs.] she said while having a meeting with several people in the trading company including Rosan. Haya once was a delivery man but, when Rosan knew that Haya treats her better, Rosan asked him to always stay with her. Especially to be her interpreter, because Haya already learned so much while having two months spent times with Irisha. 

" Why? they are cities far from here with a very inconvenient road. I am not saying that distance is the main factor, but, I don't think that majority of them need furs," asked Rosan.

She nodded her head to show that she understands her point, but then she signs, [ I am not saying that these places will be our customers. I said that they will help us to sell the furs.] she said while marking some areas near the cities she once marked.[ Our target is all cities far north from them.]

...and all of them are confused, while somehow someone rises their brow.

" Is it because most of the people in those cities are artisan?" asked some man while looking at Irisha for a second before then looking at Haya. "  They raw clothes are quite good," he said.

and Haya interpreted it to Irisha so she smiles excitedly. [ Yes! that is one of the reasons. So, the plan is to send the raw furs to those cities and hire people there to make coats or jackets, then we will sell those goods to the northern cities.]

" There are so many things to do, is not our budget will be increased?" asked others. While the other ones seemed to contemplate their discussion.

" ... it is always heavy in the budget to hire the one to make clothes in the capital, but if we hire someone in that city, it could be cheaper, right?"

[ Yes!] she smiles even widely.[ ...and it also prevents our goods to be ruined while being transported because the distance will be shorter.]

" ... Oh I see, maybe this is a good idea."

" If so then we have to send someone there first."

" We should inspect the places, then do the preparation." 

" Who will be in charge in-"

" Hey, slow down guys, I am having a hard time interpreting it," Haya said.

 Then, all of them then stopped while in sync look at Irisha, " Ms.Irisha, who will be in charge of this project?"

Irisha who just looked at Haya, turns to Rosan. " I will allow it,  you decide it," she said.

[ Then, let's study more about it first. As usual, data is important so Herlard will be in charge in-] then she continue to lead the meeting with the help of Haya, and just like that the meeting will be ended.

" Good job, you can take a break," Rosan said. " I have something to do so I could not join your daily walk, just be careful and do not go near the river."

She nodded and smiled while going out of the meeting room.

" Then I-" and when Rosan is about to leave the room, she sees her employees are surrounding Haya.

" Then how you say 'depart' in sign language?" 

" Is it how you say 'profit?"

" ' I will try to work on it.' this is how you say it right?" asked all of them at once, and confusing Haya so much.

and Haya will be so much busy in confusion while begging, " Please, sir. Slow down."

Yet, what she sees right now somehow makes Rosan smiles, " If you want to learn sign language, how if Haya teaches you guys in a class, just schedule it."

" Eh, but, I -"

" Ya, ya I know you are already busy, so that is why I will put you off on your delivery schedule and just let you work as Irisha's interpreter while also being a teacher. Don't worry I will be the one who pays you too," she said. " Just do once or thrice a week, do it for around two hours,  anyone who wants to learn can learn for free."

" WOW? are you sure master?!"

" That's nice, it will be more efficient talking with Ms.Irisha."

" Then how if we talk about it now? Ah, shit but I have to finish the proposal tomorrow. It will not good if it is not done yet, Ms.Irisha can be quite scary if I passed the deadline." that man said. "Just let me know, Haya. I will come to your class then, See you, master."

Then all of them gradually leave the meeting, lets Haya free, and sighed his relief. Then she looks at Rosan who seems so happy, " If I may ask, why did you help Irisha so much?" He asked quite worry that it is something offensive to talk about but, " I know that she is an extraordinary person with bright ideas, but, it will not give you any profit is not it?"

and she looks at him, quite understanding why he thinks that way. " Well, in fact, I still not yet pay her enough. Even in these last 5 years, my company grows so much because of her proposal."

" Proposal?"

Rosan smiles whenever she thought about the memory back then when a young child with a small baby came. It was when Rosan came to that isolated village because there was no place that would like to buy her goods. Yes, at that time, she was the only one who did all the job because as soon as her husband was gone, the company collapsed gradually. She was only a woman who never learned a proper education or was taught of something related to the company. Of course because of that she did not understand anything nor she could do anything for the company. Yet, at the same time, Rosan just could not let her husband's company go as it was the only memory that she had with him. She knew how important this company and how hard her husband had tried to make it run. So that was why, she could not give up and sell it out even though it might be the best choice since she also had to buy some food for her baby son. 

Then that child came to her with a very gentle smile, showing her a note that said she wanted to play with her son, and Rosan thought that she was too shy to say it out loud.

" Playing with my son? but he is still one-year ol-"

but then she gave her another note, [ I am so sorry, I am deaf and muted. Could you please write what you say down here?]  and, in that second Rosan felt so much pity for the little girl in front of her who she knew later on as an orphan with her little baby sister.  Her action back then might be purely out of pity for someone like her, so at that time, Rosan let her hung around with her baby son and found out that even she was so small, she acted maturely. 

[ I am always brushed off by other merchants that rarely came to this village...  to think that you let me. I am truly grateful.]

There was a pinch of guilty that she felt while reading that note, because Rosan knew that her action was all because of the pity she was felt toward her. It was an empathy to then let this disabled girl by her side because she was also just lost someone she loved dearly. Either way, later on, she then found out that something in this child is different from the other child. The way she thinks was somehow different. Especially when she talked about some trading system that Rosan never thought a little girl like her will bring that topic out of nowhere- the idea that she thought was clever but she denied to accept it because it was coming from Irisha who at that time was just a mere child.

[ You can use our products for example. Try to persuade the villagers to sell the goods with a half-price first. Then, you sell them to the cities near us but with three times prices. Signed a contract to the villager so that you ensure they believe you, after that, you will get more profit if you sell it in the right place.]  and it was Irisha who wrote down that kind of complicated idea to her back then.

Of course, she was speechless and denied Irisha's idea even though it made sense. Because, she once thought that it was just a child's nonsense. Yet, Irisha persuaded her slowly and gradually in a very smooth way as if she was not trying harder but she surely was. Even at that time, Rosan was not thinking that Irisha actually was doing her little trick to herself. That Irisha actually 'brainwashed' her with her idea and her stubbornness.

.

 Unfortunately, her second tragedy came and she was in a very depressing situation after his son had gone too. She left all of her work and made the company in the very worst state. In fact, it was almost dead. In that state, she did not know what should she do. She did not even have any reason to live too. The fact that she also did think to end her life, so that every single pain that was shattered her mind will also gone... but, strangely, she came back to the village and met Irisha again.

" I lost my son.... I feel like, I have nothing to move me anymore.....and I just want to die." and somehow, she spitted nonsense, in sign language she just learned for a while in front of a mere fourteen years old child that is muted and deaf. She thought at that time that she had already gone crazy or...maybe she did go crazy after all. How could she not? when all of her loved ones were already gone and there was not a single thing she could care about this world. 

Yet, while looking at Irisha's face who sincerely looked at her- a strange pain with a glimpse of warmth pinched her heart as she closed her face with her hands and cried out loud. A tiny hand patted her gently and made her felt so much hopeless because of that. To think that she was not strong enough and she could not even act as a proper adult as she should be.

...she looked at the girl and saw her say something in her sign language,

[ I don't know how your feeling right now, I could never feel it. At the same time, I also could not say anything to help you to live as I know how hard living is.] she said. [ Until now, the reason why I still move on is- that I want Arisha to be happy. I could not ever imagine if she is gone like your son. Maybe, I will also choose to die too as it will be hard for me to even breathe and live every day.] she said while making Rosan frowning so hard to see a little child said a heavy matter. [ But... I also want to say that, there are no children who are happy to see their parents' die.] she said while smiling at her in a very painful way, to the point that made her thinking 

'What kind of world this kid's been through until she had that kind of expression.' and it was scattered her heart so much and made her cried while hugging her.

.

.

Out of purpose of life, Rosan decided to work with Irisha. 

... and yes, it was out of pity at first when she decided to do what that child recommended. It was out of pity and out of non-existence life desire, so she did that. Yet, surprisingly enough, it worked so well. Irisha's method worked and her business grew so fast when she never once expected that it will come back to life again. But, despite of how success she became, her heart still felt so much empty.

So when she came to the village again, she said,

"... how if you are coming with me?" 

... out of nowhere she asked that fifteen years old child to be her employee. To that point, Rosan knew that she was already fond of her. She knew that her existence filled the empty feeling of the mother who once lost her son. It was not purely because she was seeing her because of Irisha's capability, but only because of her selfishness that wanted to fill the hole in her heart.

But then, that little child said. [ Please wait for me in three years, maybe after Arisha grows a little bit more. After that, I will work with you.] she said. [ I am deaf and muted, but I want to make sure that my sister sees how beautiful the world is. so... if you could provide us safety and a place to live... I will be much grateful to work with you. At least, that is what someone like me could do.] she said, with very stern eyes looking into her eyes. That child gripped her own hands hard while somehow trembled. She then realized that this child already knew her weakness so much and tried to hold on to the single opportunity that came to her. Irisha knew that she was unfortunate in several ways but wanted to make sure that her sister could see the beauty of the world.

Then Rosan laughed, laughed so hard who made Irisha confused. " Then, it's a deal," she said. " I will wait for you, and you will one day work with me." 

... and yes, it was all started with pity. Then, followed by empathy. The feeling that they had the same tragedy.

...but, Rosan, also could not remember how then she had the desire of living once again since then. She worked so hard to make the company grow even more, she worked so hard to gain more power. Because, she once lost his child because of her lack of preventing and anticipating it and she learned that in a very hard way.

" So, I contemplated real hard at that time. ' How harsh the world is to make a mere child, asked me for their safety?'  how cruel the world is to make a mere child thinks, that if her sister with someone like her, it will be hard to see the beauty of the world. " and she smiles, in the very vain way. As the tears look like they will come from her eyes. " Suddenly I have a thought that... they never asked to be put in such condition, If they do, maybe they will ask to be healthy and normal like us. If they do have the opinion, maybe they will ask not to be born in the first place....in the end, it was all because the parents wanted their existence. So it was never their fault to begin with, but, why they are the one who has to apologize? Don't you think it does not make any sense?" asked her.

And Haya, somehow found himself speechless while listening to all of that.

 So that is why... I grow my power because, there are people like her who are bright and capable but have a hard time standing in society....because humans will naturally be vigilant with things that they know nothing about."

" Sure, ... It is normal, but, somehow it also could harm someone like Irisha."

" That is why I help her within my power, used my power to let many people know that someone like them ..... is also a human." and she smiles, " Just like us."

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.6M 262K 36
(The Trilogy is now complete) This novel was written in 2011 when I was 15 - I'm slowly editing but please forgive misspells , plot holes etc. Any s...
52.9K 1.9K 24
After I died in the modern world I was born in a magical realm with scheming nobles, magical creatures, and a magic academy straight out of hogwarts...
2K 216 61
One second that is all it takes to know something is wrong. It is that one second that the heart stops beating and the mind goes into a state of pani...
1.9K 42 33
A girl who only got shown hatred and disgust, she dies at the hands of her adoptive sister that everyone knows and loves. Her sister is from a place...