infinity. (Bucky Barnes x R...

By gingerthestormwitch

Part Three of the "No Tricks" Trilogy. Four of the Infinity Stones have been destroyed. Thanos' plan for mass... More

Prologue
Chapter Two
Chapter Three

Chapter One

1.5K 43 38
By gingerthestormwitch

"Had no time to choose

What I chose to do

So go easy on me

I had good intentions

And the highest hopes

But I know right now

That probably doesn't even show"

~*~*~*~

Foggy Bottom. Washington, D.C. October 2018.

The breeze coming off the Chesapeake Bay blew orange and brown leaves across your boots as you walked the familiar path to Ben and Rey's townhouse. You shoved your hands deeper into your jacket pockets, trying to shield your body as much as possible from the bite of the damp chilly wind.

Some light digging by Natasha and a phone call to Director Coulson revealed that Ben still lived in the home he and Rey once shared. He hadn't moved from the area like you had expected him to. You would have. You didn't know if you could ever step foot, much less live, in the place you and Bucky had made a home if you ever lost him.

"Always liked this neighborhood," Tony mused as he walked beside you, tapping the side of his gray-tinted lenses, letting F.R.I.D.A.Y. scan your surroundings.

You nodded in agreement. You, Ben, and Rey had loved living in the neighborhood with all the college kids. It teemed with life. You could walk to the trendy coffee shops, sushi restaurants, and cheap bars. There was always something going on – an art show, a beer tasting, or live music. Plus, it was close to public transit and the interstate, making it easy for you and Rey to get to the Triskelion every day.

Initially, you had wanted to make this trip alone, but since a final decision had not been made regarding your presidential pardon and The Accords were technically still in effect, walking around unsupervised wasn't really an option.

Along with Tony serving as your babysitter, the United Nations Panel presiding over maintaining the Sokovia Accords mandated you and your team wear tracker bracelets whenever you went out in public. Something that sent Steve over the edge with fury when you first arrived at the Tower. Short of making Tony sign over his first born, Steve made Tony promise that he would personally see to it that they would not be tracked or watched in any way as soon as the pardons were approved and signed.

Tony readily acquiesced to his request, remembering all too well a time when the government tried to get their hands on his Iron Man armor. He also was not eager to disrupt the peace that had settled over the once fractured Avengers.

Bucky would have accompanied you as well, but he was in meetings your lawyer Matt Murdock all day. Out of all your team's pardons, your husband's was certainly going to be the most complicated, given his sordid history. All the evidence you had gathered over the years had to be meticulously combed through. They needed to be ready to answer any and all questions the panel may ask.

Now that your life had reached some level of normalcy and you weren't constantly looking over your shoulder, you decided it was time to reach out to Ben. You had not seen him since the day before the HYDRA Uprising when you all had your weekly dinner together. It was a tradition you had upheld until that fateful day. You had left the country with HYDRA hot on your tail by the time a funeral was arranged for Rey. It killed you not being able to be there to say goodbye. To not be there for Ben who had been there for you in your darkest moments.

Your pace slowed as you approached the red brick townhouse. You attempted to swallow the lump building in your throat, trying to decide if the nausea you were experiencing was due to your pregnancy or the anxiety building in your gut. Most likely it was the latter.

"You okay, kitten?" Tony asked as the pair of you slowed to a stop in front of the townhouse. "You look a little green around the gills there."

"I'd be lying if I said yes," you replied thickly.

"We don't have to do this today," Tony offered.

You shook your head with a sigh. "If I don't do it now, I'm not sure I will ever be able to."

Tony nodded in understanding. "You sure you don't want me to come with you?"

You shook your head again. "No...no, this is something I need to do on my own." You gestured to a nearby coffee shop with your chin. "That place makes a mean espresso. I'll meet you there when I'm done. I don't think I'll be too long."

Tony nodded, patting your arm reassuringly. "Alright, kitten." He continued down the street. "Have Dean notify F.R.I.D.A.Y. if you need me," he called over his shoulder.

You watched him walk away for a moment before turning your attention back to the townhouse. Ben had worked from home ever since you could remember. There was no reason to think he wouldn't be home this time of day. But as you climbed the steps to the front door, you found yourself wishing that may be today he wouldn't be home.

You took a breath to steady yourself before pressing your finger to the doorbell. You twirled your wedding band around your finger nervously as you waited. After a few moments, you heard a set of heavy footsteps make their way down the creaky staircase. You licked your lips as Ben's large silhouette appeared behind the door's decorative privacy glass. The deadbolt squeaked as it turned, signaling that it was now impossible for you to escape without being seen.

The heavy door swung inward, revealing the tall, dark, teddy bear of a man you had befriended soon after you moved to D.C. Ben balked, his mouth dropping open in surprise. "Y/N?"

"Hi, Ben," you replied, shifting your weight from one foot to another.

"What...What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I was in the neighborhood," you said with a shrug. Ben nodded still staring at you. "It's good to see you," you offered. "You look good."

"Thanks, you too," he replied. His gaze traveled over you. His eyes widened slightly when they landed on your baby bump. "Oh, wow," he said.

"Yeah..." you said, your hands involuntarily going to your stomach. "It's a long story..."

Ben nodded. "I got time," he said. He stepped back from the door and gestured inside. "Come in."

You stepped into the warm foyer with a smile. As Ben closed the door, you looked around the living area. Your throat tightened. Nothing had changed. Rey was everywhere. Her presence not only in photographs but in the throw pillows she had chosen for the couch, her favorite scented candles, and the trashy tabloids she had kept by her favorite reading chair.

You ran your hand over her favorite throw blanket, feeling the chenille against your fingers. "It's still the same," you breathed, saying it more to yourself than anyone else.

Ben was silent for a moment before he jerked his head toward the kitchen. "Come on...I'll make us some tea."

He set to work bringing water to a boil as you slid into one of the kitchen table chairs. The one you used to claim every time you visited their home.

"So, you're married with a baby on the way?" he said, bringing down two mugs from the cabinet.

"How did you know I was married?" you asked, momentarily stunned.

"The ring on your finger," he replied, pouring water over the tea bags. "You never used to wear rings. Just Hunter's bracelet."

A small smile grew at the corner of your mouth. You had forgotten how observant he could be. Always assessing his surroundings and those he came in contact with. He had warned you against Rumlow all those years ago after talking with him for five minutes at St. Elmo's Bar. To this day, you still berated yourself for not listening to him.

"Ah," you replied with a knowing nod.

"Who's the lucky guy?" he asked, placing a mug of tea in front of you before settling into his own chair.

You picked up the mug, the tendrils of steam carrying the scent of lemon, ginger and mint up to your nose. "His name's James Barnes."

"The Winter Soldier?" he asked with a raised brow.

You winced at the infamous moniker but nodded. You honestly weren't surprised Ben knew who your husband was. Your team's return to the US had been heavily televised with each news station using the leaked HYDRA and S.H.I.E.L.D. files to compile personality profiles of each of you.

"Where'd ya meet him?" he asked before taking a sip of his tea.

"That's kinda part of the long story," you replied, blowing on your tea before taking a tentative sip.

"Like I said, I got time."

You sat your mug down in front of you. "How much do you know?" The story of what had taken place in Wakanda and the upcoming hearings regarding your team's pardons had been all over the news for months. Everyone from politicians to news reporters to YouTube creators were weighing in with their own opinions, praise, criticism, support, as well as vitriol.

"I'd rather hear it coming from you," Ben replied, meeting your gaze.

You nodded. Taking another sip of your tea, you launched into your and Bucky's story – leaving nothing out. You told him about HYDRA and why you went into hiding. You told him all about Bucky and what he had gone through. You told him about your journey in learning the Mystic Arts and your time in Wakanda. You told him about Titan and what had happened there – leaving out the part where you murdered Quill to save everyone else. You didn't want to burden anyone else with that secret.

As you wrapped up your story, Ben flashed a vacant smile. "You've been busy."

You looked at your hands in your lap, ashamed. Over the last four years, your life while difficult and unstable had been nothing if not full of adventure and growth. You had found a family, a lover, and a new sense of purpose...while Ben had been left alone to deal with his grief. A kind of loneliness you understood all too well.

"I'm sorry I haven't been in touch," you apologized softly. "I wasn't there for you like I should have been." You reached out, tentatively placing your hand over his. "No one should have to go through that kinda pain alone."

His honey brown eyes misted over as he pulled his hand out from under yours. He stood up and turned to face the window that looked out into the back garden. "Will you—" his voice cracked. He cleared his throat before continuing.  "Will you tell me about that day?"

You sucked in a breath. "I don't think that's a good idea, Ben," you said carefully.

"Please," he begged thickly. "No one has ever given me a straight answer."

You swallowed hard, blinking back tears. You couldn't escape the memories of that day... you certainly weren't eager to rehash them, especially to your late best friend's fiancé.

"I have to know," Ben whispered. His voice brittle. "The two of you were partners. You shared an office..."

"It's better you remember Rey as she was..." you started.

"You escaped..." he spat, biting out the words, his voice full of bitterness. "You escaped...and she...she didn't..." He began to weep. "And I want to know why... I deserve to know why... After being MIA for the past four years, you owe me that much."

You sniffed hard and forced yourself to swallow the lump in your throat. He was right. Of course, he was right. He'd probably done nothing but sit and spin with what if's scenarios regarding the nature of her death over the past four years. Never able to truly get the closure he needed.

That's why the house was the same, as if she were still here – like she just slipped out to the corner-store for some milk and would be home any minute. He couldn't let go, not when he didn't have all the answers. The parallels between his and your grieving process were striking and all to familiar. You hadn't been able to truly move on from Hunter's death until you confronted what had actually happened to her. You could bring Ben closure. Even if he never wanted to speak to you or see you again, you owed it to him.

You breathed a shuddering sigh. "Alright...Alright..." you relented.

Ben continued to stand facing the window, his arms folded across his chest.

"The day started off as normal as it could have been given the circumstances. Everyone was still on edge because of what happened to Director Fury and Captain Rogers' supposed treachery." You ran your hand down your face, wiping the tears away. "It was late morning...Project Insight was set to launch by early afternoon, so people were running around like crazy with last minute preparations."

Your gaze unfocused as you dove deeper into the memories of that day. You continued; your voice sounded detached in your own ears. "Rey and I were talking about my lack of a love life when Steve announced HYDRA's infiltration and imminent takeover over the PA system. Afterward, it got quiet...and that's when the shooting started..."

Ben's body tensed as if readying himself for the inevitable death blow.

"We dove under the desks. I locked down our computers, did everything we had been taught to do in case something like this happened. Rey went into shock, I think, she started to hyperventilate...I had to slap her to bring her back and calm her down..."

"We made plans as to how we were going to get out of the building...make for the emergency staircase and then to the parking garage. We'd leave in my car and hopefully come back for hers later."

You took another deep breath to steady yourself. "I checked to see if the hallway was clear, and it was...I swear on my sister's life that it was..." New tears spilled down your cheeks. "I told her to get out into the hallway and that I would lock everything down...and when I turned back...a HYDRA agent was pointing a gun at her and me..."

Ben's shoulders began to move up and down with silent sobs.

"He wanted access to our databanks and our intelligence analysis. Rey told him no; that it was against protocol...like he gave a shit about proper procedure. And in response he shot her. No hesitation. No remorse...And she just fell..."

A heavy silence hung in the air.

"He set his sights on me and I killed him. I shot him – point blank in the face. I shot him and I ran." You choked on a sob and brought the back of your hand to your lips. You sat there a moment to collect yourself before continuing. "I left her there...alone...and I am so sorry that I did." You inhaled sharply. "I should have had my gun out to begin with. I shouldn't have left it holstered. I should have tried harder...been more vigilant..."

Ben laid a hand over his eyes as he cried, trying to shut out the world and the onslaught of grief permeating the room.

"Rey's dead because of my negligence," you sobbed. "And I am sorry I couldn't protect her." 

The two of you wept together, but wholly apart.

"I think...I think you should go," Ben whispered, his voice hoarse.

Slowly, you stood up from your seat with a small nod of understanding even though his back still faced you. You dug around in your jacket pocket and pulled out a slip of paper. "I'm gonna be in New York for the foreseeable future," you said, placing the paper on the table. "If you need anything, anything at all, you can call me. Okay?"

Ben didn't reply, but you caught the subtle nod of his head, acknowledging that he heard you. With one final glance over your shoulder, you caught his gaze in the reflection of the glass. His eyes swam with sorrow, but relief tinged the melancholy. You nodded once then turned and walked out of the house without looking back.

On autopilot with an unfocused gaze, you made your way to the coffee shop where Tony waited, wondering how many times a person's heart could break before it was rendered unfixable.

At least, you had brought Ben some sense of peace even if it shattered you to do it.

You pushed open the door, ringing the bells that hung from the handle. The warmth of the café embraced you and the comforting scent of pumpkin spice and maple beckoned you in. Tony leaned against the reclaimed wooden counter, talking animatedly with the baristas about the pros and cons of different ways to brew coffee. He glanced up when one of them cheerfully greeted you. Taking in your appearance, Tony's smile faded.

"If you'll excuse me, ladies," he cooed with his signature million-dollar smile, swiping up two go-cups and a small paper bag from the counter. "It's been a pleasure. And I'll be sending along a new espresso machine, because let's face it, after I leave a stunning review on your social media, people are going to be flocking here in droves."

The baristas gave a collective surprised gasp and called out grateful exclamations as Tony approached you. Worry lingered behind his eyes despite his devil may care demeanor.

"You okay, kitten?" he asked, opening the door for you. He gave the baristas a cheeky wink before following you out onto the sidewalk.

You hastily wiped the tears from your cheeks then shoved your hands into your pockets. "Not really," you replied, knowing it was pointless to lie.

Tony nodded with a sigh. "I figured you wouldn't be." He held out one of the go-cups. "Hot chocolate with cinnamon and extra whipped cream." You took it from him with a small but grateful smile. "And," he continued, holding up the bag, "a slice of the most divine pumpkin spice coffee cake in existence."

"Didn't figure Tony Stark would be one to like pumpkin spice," you mused, taking a tentative sip of the cocoa he had given you.

"Oh, I love all things...gosh, what are the kids calling it now?" he pondered for a moment, snapping his fingers. "Basic!"

"I don't think basic is a good thing, Tin Man," you chuckled.

Tony shrugged. "Eh, since when do I care what other people think?" He pinched off a piece of the sugary confection disguised as breakfast food and popped it in his mouth before holding the bag out to you.

You did the same, moaning slightly as you chewed.

"Are you eating that? Or are you eating that?"

"Shuddup," you said, your mouth full.

Tony snickered, finishing his coffee before tossing the cup in a nearby trash can. "So, you ready to go?" he asked.

You sighed heavily, not entirely eager to go back to The Tower just to sit in your and Bucky's floor alone. "You think we can walk a little more?" you asked.

Tony nodded knowingly, "Sure, kitten. We can take all the time you need."

~*~*~*~

Avengers Tower. New York City. Later that Same Day.

The elevator doors pinged open, announcing someone's arrival. From his perch on the marble countertop, Alpine trilled a meow in greeting as Bucky rounded the corner. "Bună sear, micuțule," he cooed, setting two plastic bags on the counter. ("Hello, little one.") Alpine jumped onto Bucky's shoulder, headbutting his temple gently. Bucky reached up to scratch him behind the ears.

"Hey, Sarge," you called. "How did your meetings go?"

"What are you doin', doll?" Bucky asked as he crossed the room.

You bent over the stove, beads of sweat dotted your forehead, a result the steam rising from the concoction bubbling away in the large pot. "Cooking," you replied.

Bucky's nose crinkled at the smell and sight of whatever you were trying to make. "What're you cooking?" he asked tentatively, pressing a light kiss to your temple.

"It was supposed to be chicken and gnocchi soup," you answered. "But I added some extra things that I was craving, and thought would taste good."

Bucky eyed the dubious liquid you called soup and swallowed hard. "Uh huh."

"Now, I am realizing that maybe the addition of seaweed salad and hot sauce might not have been the best idea." You ducked your head in embarrassment. Fucking pregnancy cravings had rendered your dinners inedible on more than one occasion.

Gently, Bucky took the spoon from your hand. "You shouldn't be on your feet for too long," he said. He brushed a quick kiss across your lips and nodded to one of the cushioned bar stools surrounding the island with a small smile. "Why don't you let me cook tonight?"

You frowned but made your way to sit down. "You cook every night," you argued halfheartedly.

Bucky shrugged. "I know," he replied. "But I don't mind." He turned the fire off and placed the lid over the pot to stop the offending smell from wafting throughout The Tower and causing concern amongst your teammates.

"But I don't wanna just sit here like a bump on a log," you said, scratching Alpine under the chin after he sauntered across the island demanding attention.

"I think growing a human hardly warrants being called a bump on a log," Bucky snorted as he rifled through the cabinets for the things he needed.

You rested your elbow on the counter placing your chin in the palm of your hand with a sigh. "Still though..." you muttered bitterly. "How did the meeting with Matt go?" you asked again.

"It went well," Bucky replied as he readied a large skillet with olive oil and butter. "I think we have everything sorted through and planned for practically every scenario."

"That's good to hear," you said.

Bucky nodded in agreement. "And just in time too," he added, placing two filets of salmon into the pan skin-side down after seasoning them. "The first of the hearings is scheduled for Monday."

"Who drew the short straw to go first?" you asked curiously, your voice rising in volume to be heard over the sizzle of the pan.

"Pietro, Scott and Clint." Bucky prepped a container of leftover rice to be reheated, placing an ice cube in the center before covering it with piece of parchment paper.

You nodded. Pietro, Scott, and Clint's cases were the most straightforward. Pietro had only joined your team after the initial clash between the two factions in Berlin and he had not been an active member of the Avengers due to his recovery from his injuries sustained during the Ultron Offensive. While Clint and Scott had already ironed out deals of their own after their escape from The Raft. In fact, Scott's house arrest was coming to an end soon if it hadn't already.

"And then who's up?" you asked.

"Matt seems to think it will be Sam and Wanda next, followed by you and Nat, then me and Steve."

"Has Tony confirmed this?"

"He seems to think that will be the order to things too," Bucky answered, pulling out a box of roasted seaweed snacks from the pantry. "It makes the most sense to work from the least complicated to most complicated case."

He removed the fish filets from the pan and placed them onto two large plates before spooning a serving of rice beside each of them along with a stack of seaweed snacks. You grabbed your preferred condiments from the refrigerator – ponzu, soy sauce, Japanese mayo and kimchi – along with two bottles of water and set them on the table.

Alpine twined his lithe body around Bucky's legs as he plated the meal and meowed loudly and insistently. "Okay, okay, hold on a minute, pal," Bucky chuckled. He cut a piece from the bigger filet and placed it on a smaller dish for your furry firstborn.

"Little vulture," you snorted with a shake of your head as your husband placed the dish on the floor. Alpine happily dug in with a few hearty meows of appreciation as he chewed.

Bucky chuckled as he handed over your plate before sitting down next to you at the modern glass and metal table. You had to hand it to Pepper Potts. Her tastes in furniture and décor were immaculate. Sleek and modern yet comfortable and inviting.

"Tony said you went to see Ben today," Bucky said, mixing his rice and salmon together. "How did it go?"

Your fork stopped on its way to your mouth at his question. You sighed, setting it down to run your hands through your hair. "Not great," you replied. Bucky nodded and let his vibranium hand cover yours, his thumb caressing the back of it.

"I told him everything," you continued. "Where I have been, what I was doing, and who I was with..." You took a moment to collect yourself, the emotions of the day crashing into you full force once more. "And afterward he just looked at me with such...disappointment. No...distain."

You shoved a bite of food into your mouth and chewed mindfully, determined not to cry again. Despite the walk with Tony through D.C., you cried again once you got back to Avengers Tower. You thanked the powers that be for F.R.I.D.A.Y.'s ability to soundproof rooms; sometimes people just needed to grieve alone. You were surprised you weren't dehydrated by this point.

You swallowed hard and took a few pulls from your water bottle before looking back at Bucky again. His eyes were soft, but the corners of his lips pulled down into a frown.

"Their house is still the same...after all these years," you said. "And I realized that while I had been off with you and the others, fighting crime and saving the universe, Ben's remained in the past and in a living hell since Rey died...and I just..." You drew your lower lip between your teeth and looked to the ceiling, desperate to pull back the tears that had begun to well up in your eyes.

"I'm sorry, doll," Bucky soothed.

"He asked me to tell him about that day..." you sniffed hard and then looked at Bucky once more. "I didn't want to...I didn't want him to know...but he deserved closure...if anything like that happened to you, I wouldn't want to be left in the dark..."

Bucky nodded knowingly. Gingerly, he cupped your face, his metal thumb swiping away a stray tear. You let loose a sigh, pressing your cheek into his hand for a moment before placing a kiss to his palm. "Do you think it helped him?" your husband asked. "Giving him closure?"

You licked your lips and thought for a moment. As you had stood to leave, you had seen the tension leave Ben's shoulders. He still oozed sadness, but it was a different kind of melancholia than when you had first walked into the house. It felt like acceptance, maybe a little relief. You nodded. "Yeah, I think so." You swallowed the lump in your throat. "I hope so..."

"Then you did the right thing," Bucky replied.

"I don't think he'll want to see me again..."

Bucky frowned. "Maybe...Maybe not...Give him some time..."

"I left him my contact info."

"That's good. He'll reach out when he's ready."

You nodded, hoping he was right. You picked up your fork again to eat. The two of you finishing your meals in a comfortable silence.

~*~*~*~

Robert F. Kennedy Department of Justice Building. Washington, D.C. October 2018.

The crowd outside of the Department of Justice Building pressed against the steel barricades desperate to catch a glimpse of whoever was inside the approaching fleet of sleek Lincoln Continentals. Thank the gods for limo tinted windows.

Bucky tensed next to you as he eyed the throngs of people warily. You threaded his vibranium fingers through your own and gave him a reassuring squeeze, drawing his gaze to your own. Shuri's latest update to his prosthetic provided him the ability to feel even the slightest pressure. It was nowhere near the sense of actual touch, but it was a start. He flashed you a small grateful smile, squeezing your hand back.

"Tell me why we couldn't just use your portals again?" Sam asked, scanning the crowd as intently as Bucky had done from the front passenger seat. Some habits from your years on the run had buried themselves deep in your daily routines.

"Because, according to the Tin Man and endorsed by our bearded fearless leader, we have to appear normal," you said, putting air quotes around the word.

"Normal..." Sam chuffed. "Yeah, right."

Bucky's steel-blue gaze scrutinized the crowds once more. "This place is a madhouse..." he murmured. Reporters, cameraman, and journalists of all kinds had begun to outnumber supporters and protestors alike as your car drew closer to the building.

"The prodigal sons return," Sam mused.

"Or the village pariahs," you deadpanned as the sedan pulled up to the building's entrance. You breathed a sigh of relief upon seeing the walk from the car to building was short and relatively clear of reporters. As soon as the car stopped, Bucky and Sam exited the vehicle, taking the time to button up their suit jackets before turning to help you out of the vehicle.

"Whoever said being pregnant was a magical experience lied."

Your baby bump grew more every day, much to Bucky's delight and your chagrin. It made it considerably more difficult for you to get around, especially getting up and down out of seats. You slowly stood up, stifling a grunt. You took a moment to steady yourself before threading your arm through Bucky's.

Reporters yelled questions out and cameras flashed as your trio made it up the entrance steps. As per Matt's instructions, you ignored them. The time for questions would come later. Warm air poured out of the double doors as the guard stationed at the entrance opened them for you. You nodded to him with a polite smile.

A stocky man stepped up to your trio. "Sergeant Barnes. Agent Barnes. Mr. Wilson," he greeted you each in turn with a handshake. "I'm Agent Laborde with the Secret Service. Welcome to the Department of Justice." He gestured to the awaiting security check. "Everyone will need to be scanned and searched. Standard procedure for everyone."

"Of course," Sam said, with a nod.

"Mr. Wilson if you would head over to the walkthrough metal detector," the agent said. "Agent Greconia will help you through."

Sam squeezed your shoulder and nodded to Bucky. "See you in there."

"Sergeant and Agent Barnes, if you would follow me. We have a station set up with wand detectors for the pair of you."

"Thank you," Bucky said as you followed the man to the opposite side of the room.

"Not a problem," the agent replied. "Mr. Stark informed us of your situations prior to arrival; we figured this would be easier."

"Can't even walk through a metal detector," you whispered to Bucky under your breath.

Bucky rolled his eyes and shushed you with a smile. You suppressed a giggle as two agents ran their wands up and down your bodies. Soon you joined Sam and Agent Laborde at the foot of a stone staircase. Large murals of various larger than life historical figures and events dominated the walls. The Renaissance style painting so separate but perfectly complimenting the Art Deco décor.

"The pardon hearings are to be held in The Great Hall," Laborde said. "I'll escort you there. There is an elevator this way."

A short elevator ride later, the door opened, revealing a massive expanse of a room with terracotta floors and numerous windows with aluminum accents. Two twelve-foot golden statues of a man and woman stood at the end of the hallway behind a table that held the members of the panel President Ellis had established for this unprecedented event.

People buzzed about the room. The select few journalists allowed in busied themselves, readying their Dictaphones and notetaking materials. You spotted Clint, Laura, Pietro, and Wanda sitting at the front of the room, talking in hushed tones with Matt, Karen, and Foggy. Scott Lang and a dark-haired woman you didn't recognize sat next to them. You smiled when Karen caught your eye and waved. She whispered into Matt's ear and the pair excused themselves, making their way towards you.

"We'll take it from here, Agent Laborde," Matt said with a smile. "Thank you for bringing them up."

"Not a problem, Mr. Murdock," the agent replied. If he was unnerved that, despite being blind, Matt knew exactly who he was talking to, he didn't show it. He inclined his head toward your trio before walking out the doors and down the stairs toward the main lobby.

Karen and Matt greeted you with warm embraces. "How are you?" Karen's eyes flicked to your bump then back to your face. "You look gorgeous," she gushed.

You snorted a laugh, "I appreciate the lie."

Karen chuckled, shaking her head at you as the men shook hands and exchanged pleasantries.

"The hearing isn't set to start for a few more minutes," Matt said, gesturing your trio to follow him up the aisle of padded folding chairs to your friends at the front of the room. "Steve, Natasha, and Tony should be here soon."

Clint and Laura stood up as you approached, embracing each of you in turn followed by Pietro and Wanda who saluted you with kisses on cheeks.

Clint turned and extended a hand to Scott and his companion. "I'm sure you all remember Scott." Swiftly Scott stood up, he looked somewhat flustered as he exchanged handshakes with your group. The woman next to him however, smiled warmly – an aura of confidence surrounded her. Clint nodded to her. "This is his partner Hope van Dyne."

Hope beamed at your group. "It's nice to finally meet you in person. Scott talks about you guys all the time."

"I do not," Scott minimized.

Hope rolled her eyes, amused. "You never shut up about them – especially your friend Cap," she teased.

Scott sputtered, his cheeks blushing a faint crimson as Hope exchanged handshakes.

"van Dyne?" Bucky asked he shook Hope's hand. "Any relation to Janet van Dyne?"

"She's my mother," Hope replied.

"And that must mean your father's--"

"Dr. Hank Pym."

"Oh, wow." Bucky's eyes sparkled with excitement as he smiled. "Your parents' work in quantum physics is extraordinary!"

"Oh, here we go," Sam exasperated hyperbolically, rolling his eyes in amusement. Wanda and Pietro chuckled.

"Ignore them," you whispered to a slightly confused Hope who breathed an awkward laugh.

"Yeah, Buck's always loved science," a voice sounded from behind. You turned to see Steve, Natasha, and Tony walking up the aisle. Steve clapped Bucky on the shoulder good-naturedly. "He spent all of our run yesterday, talking about your parents' recent paper on the Quantum Realm."

Bucky shook Steve off, shoving him playfully with his elbow. Steve and Natasha chuckled as they greeted the others.

"Oh, well thank you," Hope replied diplomatically. "I'll be sure to pass along the compliment."

"We are actually meeting them for dinner later," Scott interjected. "I'm sure they wouldn't mind a few extra guests." He looked at Hope, eyes wide as he silently implored her, eager to spend more time with the heroes that called themselves the Avengers.

"Oh no, we couldn't possibly--" Bucky said.

"Not at all," Hope replied. "I'm sure my father would love to meet an old friend of Director Carter."

"We'd love to," you interjected, smiling at your husband. "If it's no trouble."

Scott beamed from ear to ear. "Fantastic!"

Around you, the hall filled with more and more people as they settled in for the day's hearings. Foggy placed his hand on your elbow, gesturing to the panel as they filed in from the back room. Among them was President Ellis as well as some of his Cabinet members and representatives from the United Nations. "Excuse us," he said to Scott and Hope. "They will begin the proceedings in a few moments."

"Of course," Hope agreed. She turned to you before resuming her seat right behind Scott. "We'll talk later?"

"Absolutely," you replied with a smile before turning back to Foggy who had been joined by Matt.

"You and Bucky will need to sit up here," Matt said, gesturing to seats next to Steve and Natasha. "There is a chance they could call on either of you to give character testimony. Most likely they will ask you, Y/N, given your relationship with Clint prior to the events leading up to the confrontation in Germany."

You nodded knowingly. This wasn't news to you. It was probable that everyone would be called to speak on behalf of their teammates. It was the reasoning behind your attendance to the hearings in the first place.

"It should be relatively straightforward," Foggy added with an easygoing smile. "Just like we practiced."

You did your best to return his smile, but a knot slowly formed in your gut, sinking low and settling there. These hearings would set a precedent for all enhanced persons and possibly determine the fate of The Accords. And you didn't even want to consider what you would do if you or Bucky didn't receive a pardon when all of this was said and done.

Sensing your sudden unease, Bucky wrapped his arm around your waist. Rubbing his thumb along the curve of your baby bump, he pressed a soft kiss against your temple. "We're superheroes," he murmured against your skin. "We've got this."

You leaned into his touch, the corners of your mouth lifting in a slight smile. "Okay," you breathed. "Let's go."

~*~*~*~

Author's Notes

I do apologize for the delay in posting. Writer's block is a bitch and my husband has introduced me to Suits (which has surprisingly provided a lot of information for this fic regarding the legal system and such.)

Such an angst fest to begin this new fic, but don't worry. There will be plenty of fluff and smut to even things out later.

So begins the pardon hearings; I'm so excited for what's to come and I hope you are too!

As always, please comment, leave votes, and share with your fanfic-loving friends!

Thanks for reading!

Ginger

P.S. The beginning quote is from "Easy On Me" by Adele

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.6K 502 26
It's been about a month since Steve Rogers figured out how to get Hydra out of Bucky Barnes' head. Bucky can no longer be brainwashed in doing others...
90.5K 2.9K 31
This is a Peter Parker x Bucky Barnes fanfic 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊 𝐓𝐖𝐎 𝐎𝐅🥀 𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 ------------------------------------ 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐃: 𝟏𝟐.𝟎𝟗.𝟏𝟗 ...
20.4K 419 47
Evelyn had lost everything the day Hydra took her. Her friends, her family, and her freedom. She had given up hope and then The Avengers attacked t...
283 15 8
For this fic, you better be ready to throw almost all the lore of Endgame. Break downtime. What if Tony never died? And what if because of that he fe...