Reunion (#3 Post-Order 66 Ser...

By Wild_Karrde

Captain Rex is wandering the galaxy, trying to find one of his lost brothers. The search is long and frustrat... More

Reunion - Part 2
Reunion - Part 3
Reunion - Part 4
Reunion - Part 5
Reunion - Part 6
Reunion - Part 7
Reunion - Part 8
Reunion - Part 9
Reunion - Part 10
Reunion - Part 11
Reunion - Part 12
Reunion - Part 13
Reunion - Part 14
Reunion - Part 15
Reunion - Part 16
Reunion - Part 17
Reunion - Part 18
Reunion - Part 19
Reunion - Part 20
Reunion - Part 21
Reunion - Part 22
Reunion - Part 23
Reunion - Part 24
Reunion - Part 25
Reunion - Part 26
Reunion - Part 27

Reunion - Part 1

530 8 2
By Wild_Karrde

He crashed through the underbrush of Takodana's forests like a rabid bantha, branches whipping him in the face as he ran onwards. I've really kriffing done it now. His blonde hair was soaked through with sweat as was the cloak he was wearing. A blaster shot winged over his head, slamming into a rock formation just to his left. He ducked and rolled down an embankment, splashing into a stream at the bottom. Scrambling to his feet, he kept running, his cloak now heavier with the weight of the water. He finally just flung it off, revealing the blue and white armor underneath.

Relieved of the weight of the cloak, he was able to open up his stride more as he pushed onwards. He turned to look over his shoulder, searching the forest behind him for the flash of white plastoid. Suddenly, he exploded out of the edge of the trees and stumbled, his foot catching a rock as he ran and he flew forward, sliding on his chest plate as he frantically grabbed at the ground. He realized the reason the trees had ended: he was quickly approaching the edge of a cliff, and he tried to dig his toes in, but could find no purchase as he slid towards the precipice. His legs slipped over, dangling into the abyss as he managed to lock his fingers into a small crevice, clinging for everything he was worth to stop his momentum. Kicking his legs out, he tried to find a toehold, but found nothing but air. This must be an overhang. Of kriffing course it is. His fingers were slipping from the edge, and he allowed himself a look down to see how far he would fall. I'm not going to survive that. He dug his fingers in harder.

He heard a rustling as the four stormtroopers that had been pursuing him stepped out of the brush carefully, pushing forward with their blasters trained on him. "It's over, you're surrounded."

"Does it look like I'm going anywhere?" he shouted back defiantly. I might be, it just might be down. He felt his fingers slip and tried to tighten his grip, but his shoulders slid over the edge, and he was no longer able to see his captors. Kriff. He strained with effort to hold on, and his thoughts drifted to her again, the way her blue eyes captured the light in the morning, the way her long braid hung about her shoulders, the sound of her laugh. Just in case.

Over the blood pounding in his ears, he heard blaster fire and what he could have sworn was the hum of a lightsaber. He shook his head trying to clear his mind, but before he could have another thought, his fingers slipped from the crevice he had them wedged in. He felt the nothingness below him embrace him as he tumbled backwards silently. He fell past the precipice and could see the overhang as he plummeted. He watched as the sky fell away from him. Her eyes are bluer.

A figure dove over the edge after him, cloak billowing out behind them. Throwing their hands forward, they shot towards him like a missile. His brain couldn't process what was happening as slender fingers reached out and wrapped around his ankle, gripping tightly as they suddenly snapped to a halt, swinging from a line tied to his rescuer's waist. As they swung back and forth, he looked up to stare at the hooded figure who was grunting from the strain of holding him. The figure's left hand snaked out from the cloak, glinting in the sunlight as slender metal fingers wrapped around his ankle over the other hand. Blue eyes sparkled at him from underneath the hood and he was certain he was imagining things.

"How's it hanging, Rex?" Senna chuckled as she pulled him back up towards her, righting them both in the air.

She managed to help him pull himself up and get his legs wrapped around her hips, his arms gripping around her shoulders as she reached down and pressed the retract button for the cable feed that was attached to her belt. They slowly rose back up towards the cliff edge, Rex completely silent. He could smell her as her hair tickled his nose in the breeze, and memories came flooding back: the last night they were together, how she'd felt in his arms, the immense loss he'd felt when he'd awoken to find her absent with no hint as to where she'd gone. He was angry and sad and confused, and his inner turmoil did little to abate even as they slipped back over the edge of the cliff, laying next to each other on the hard stony surface.

Pushing himself to his feet, he took in the scorched bodies of the stormtroopers that lay scattered around him, lightsaber burns marring the clean white plastoid that covered their torsos. He nudged the arm of one with his foot, and it fell limply back into place. "I see your penchant for wreaking havoc hasn't changed," he muttered. "Is this the part where you just leave then?"

She sat up and looked at him, her brows furrowing as she yanked a glove back over her metal hand. "You know, most people would say 'thank you' in this instance."

Rex whirled on her. "Yeah, well I'm not most people, so I think I'll start with 'where the hell have you been?'"

Senna pushed her hair out of her face, slowly standing and brushing herself off. "Around."

In an instant, he closed the gap between them, his face centimeters from hers. "Where. Were. You."

---

Senna searched his eyes, her brows knitting together as she stared into his amber irises that were glowing like hot coals with anger and pain. It stung to know that she'd hurt him like this, even if her intentions were pure and it was the right thing to do. When she'd left him on Ryloth, she'd quietly cried the entire time she was on the transport to the next planet, and the next three after that. She'd pictured him finding her note, and it shattered her as she put more and more distance between the two of them.

But it was to keep him safe. Even now, she felt her anxiety slamming her heart against her ribs, terrified that an Inquisitor would emerge from the forest behind them and take him. She'd seen it in her nightmares and awoken sobbing. She could see the wound on his neck where the Grand Inquisitor had held his lightsaber had healed, leaving only a pale scar along his throat that disappeared under the collar of his blacks and likely traced along his shoulder.

"I've been a lot of places, Rex," she said quietly. "And sometimes...I check in."

He took a step backwards. "What do you mean 'check in'?"

She chewed her lip before finally taking a deep breath. "I check in on you and the boys sometimes. From a distance. Just to see how you're doing."

Rex felt as though his heart was about to drop out of his chest. He'd been sure he imagined it, the few times he'd seen the glint of a metal arm in the crowd or her eyes watching him from under a hood before disappearing around a corner. His anger surged again as he choked on his words.

"Why?"

She looked at him, confused. "Why what?"

"Why did you leave?"

"I feel like the note was pretty clear, Rex."

"Why check in at all? Why keep your distance and then come around if your presence is what endangers us?"

Her teeth dug back into her lip. Because I missed you. Because I love you. Because I'm selfish. "You weren't supposed to know I was here," she said quietly after a few moments. "But I couldn't let you die." She ducked her head and tried to move past him, but his hand shot out, strong fingers wrapping around her arm that was still flesh and blood. She felt his fingertips trembling as he met her eyes.

"Rex-"

"Why are you really here?" he snarled. She could see the pain in his eyes, and it ripped her old wounds back open. It took everything in Senna's power to not fling her arms around his neck. She wanted so desperately to smell his skin again, to feel his arms around her like she'd dreamed about so many nights only to wake and find herself alone in a bed on some random planet. Here he was, and somehow having him angry at her like this was so much worse than being without him. I shouldn't have let him see my face. "I told you, I-"

"Don't lie to me." His voice was low, dangerous, and it sent a shiver down her spine.

Fine. She'd found an excuse to come here, knowing he would be too, but that wasn't her only reason. She drew a deep breath as she pulled her arm from his grasp. "I'm hunting for the location of a hidden Imperial base. It's supposed to be where some of their top science and engineering operations are happening. Got wind a clone commander might be out here that knew where it was. Was looking for him when I stumbled across you being chased. Not exactly subtle in that armor, you know."

He rolled his eyes at that. "Let me guess, you were looking for Wolffe."

She nodded. "Figured you were looking for him too when I saw you."

"Yeah, well we're both out of luck. He's not here. Never was by the looks of it, so I guess your trip was in vain. Sorry you wasted your time." He was trying to stay angry, she could tell that much, but there was hurt in his voice, a soft cracking like when a sandcastle breaks apart under a wave.

"I'm not," she said quietly. His head whipped around at that, his eyes burning into her as he examined her. She knew she was more haggard than the last time he'd seen her, a few more scars tracing across her skin, a few more greys in her hair. He'd changed as well. The lines in his forehead and around his eyes were more pronounced, and he looked like he hadn't had a good night's sleep since the last time she'd seen him. I can relate to that. Her hands nervously clenched and unclenched at her sides and she watched as his eyes flicked to them and then back up to her lip where her teeth were currently gnawing nervously.

"If you don't stop doing that, I'm not going to have anything left to kiss."

It had been so long since he'd said those words to her, and she stopped chewing as they echoed in her mind. Rex was staring her down again and when she met his gaze, the air between them buzzed with something. She was tempted to reach out to try and read him, but she decided against it. He wouldn't want that. I don't want an advantage right now. Senna also realized she hadn't really planned this far. She'd just run into the fight when she saw Rex being chased, diving after him as he slipped over the cliff without a second thought, and now, here was the reunion she'd been trying to avoid since the day that she left. It was more wonderful and painful than she could have ever imagined.

Finally, Rex huffed. "I guess there's nothing left to say then, is there? I assume you'll be slinking back off to the shadows now, and I'll just never hear from you again."

Her eyes fell to her boots, studying the wear of the leather on her toes, and she heard him turn and start walking away. Senna knew she should let him leave, allow him to go his own way and find his own path, but before she could think about it too long, she spoke.

"I know another place he might be."

Rex halted, turning back to her. "I don't suppose you'll just tell me, will you?"

"I could. Or...we could go together."

"Sure, let's just hop back on that track again. It ended so well for me last time. I'm not sure I want that help, Senna."

She stared out over the treeline, fighting the tears that were threatening to leak from her eyes. He had every right to be angry, she couldn't deny that. I really thought he'd understand with time. Guess it hasn't been long enough for that yet. Don't know what I expected. "Alright." Senna tried to keep the word short and emotionless as she gathered herself internally before walking past Rex back towards the city. She paused after a few steps. "I'm glad you're alive."

He just grunted in response. Pulling her hood up, Senna began making her way back through the trees, picking carefully over the roots and vines that reached out to snag her ankles. Don't cry until you get back to your room at the inn. Hold it together until then. She was concentrating so hard on holding back her emotions that her foot caught a root, and she flailed for a second before a set of plastoid-covered arms grabbed her, helping right her.

She whirled to stare into Rex's amber eyes. There was still anger there, but something else that caused hope somewhere in her stomach to flare for just a second like an ember being blown upon. Senna gripped Rex's arms as she got her feet back underneath her, studying his face.

"Thanks."

"Still the epitome of grace, I see." It was almost playful. Almost.

"Yeah, something like that," she huffed.

Silence hung between them as the seconds dragged on. He was clearly struggling with something, his eyes darting between her and some distant point before he finally settled on a decision. She waited patiently, allowing the silence to continue until he finally rubbed the back of his neck, running his hand over his face in frustration.

"Fine. We'll do this together. Then you can go back to whatever the hell it was you were doing."

"Rex, it doesn't have to be like that. I-"

"I don't want you here," he snapped. "You made your decision. You left. But as it is, I don't have any other leads on Wolffe or where he might be, and I need to get to him. You should be grateful I don't get the location and just leave you here on this rock, and I absolutely would, but I imagine I know why you want that base's location. You're still chasing that super weapon, aren't you?"

She nodded, hiding the pain she felt at his words. "Among other things."

"Alright." He turned, walking back the direction she was headed, and she fell into step beside him. "Tell me what you know."

Senna took a deep breath. "I'd heard Wolffe might be here, and it was closer, so I figured I'd try this place first. But there's another rumor that a clone with a cybernetic eye was recently involved in some sort of incident on Pantora. Some spat at a weapons depot or something is what I heard. Sounds like there's a good chance he'll be court-martialed. I don't know if he's still on Pantora or not, but I figured that'd be a good place to start."

Rex didn't meet her eyes as he mulled it over for a few moments before speaking. "Fine. We'll leave immediately. I've got a small personal transport I've been using."

"I've got some stuff at the local inn I need to swing by and get, but yeah, then we can go."

Rex nodded but said nothing.

---

The captain focused on placing one foot in front of the other as he allowed her to lead him back through the small town. He'd retrieved his cloak from where he'd dropped it during the chase and had slipped it back over his clone armor. He'd hoped that perhaps seeing him in his armor would somehow help Wolffe remember he was a friend, that even if the chip was still in, there was common ground to be reached, but it had all been for naught. And now, here she was, the woman he'd chased across the galaxy for as long as he could before he'd finally given up hope of finding her and tried his best to move on.

Rex was struggling to discern where one emotion ended and the next began at this point. Acceptance had been the hardest thing to get to, acceptance that she was gone and with her, the future that he'd dreamed of with the woman he loved. As much as he hated it, he did understand why she'd left, and he knew she was right, he may have done the same thing. But not without talking to her first. Not just in the night with no goodbye or explanation. These were the justifications he used for his anger, and he'd nurtured that rage for many months after Senna left until he was just too exhausted to keep that flame burning. Now, that anger had been fanned back into a furious fire within him, at war with the joy he felt at seeing her and the need he felt to reach out and touch her, to hold her, to kiss her. It was overwhelming to feel such conflict within himself, and rather than allow it to betray him, he just walked silently a half step behind her.

She was tired, that much he could see. She'd always had terrible posture, but her shoulders seemed more slumped now, as if the weight of the galaxy rested on them and she'd grown weary. He was sure she'd taken on too much as always. He wondered what her latest engineering project was, his eyes falling on the sliver of metal on her hand that was peeking out of the top portion of her glove. At least it looks like that's working out. Tech'll be pleased to know. He hated that he could still pick out all the details of her, still read her so easily. It was just more evidence to him that he'd been fooling himself for the last few months in thinking that he'd finally let her go. Damn.

Senna paused outside of the inn. "This is it. I'll be right back." He nodded wordlessly at her, leaning up against the wall of the storefront across the street. As she walked away from him, he pulled his hood a little lower, his eyes scanning the area. Suddenly, he noticed a few figures across the way watching Senna intently as she entered, a Transdoshan and a Weequay. As she entered the front of the inn, they waited for half a beat before following her inside. Kriff. Rex flexed his fingers for a moment before jogging across the street and following them into the inn.

---

Senna felt them before the cool metal of the blaster pressed to the back of her neck.

"Masssster Aven," the Transdoshan hissed.

"Don't know anyone by that name, friend," Senna said quietly, raising her hands in surrender as she turned from the door to her room. "Name's Valla Cardell. It appears you fellas have your wires crossed."

"Should have probably picked a different alias than the one you used on Lothal, Jedi scum," the Weequay cackled.

Senna rolled her eyes. "What do you want?"

"The Empire'ssssss bounty for you of courssssse."

"They're paying handsomely for any Jedi these days," the Weequay added.

"What makes you think I'm a Jedi?"

"Your lightssssaber."

Kriff. She'd forgotten to tuck it back under her cloak, and it hung at her belt flashing brilliantly in the dim hallway lighting like a beacon for unwanted attention. Careless. You're off your game. Senna caught the flash of blonde hair behind her two captors before Rex fired his blaster twice, dropping them both in the next breath. The two bounty hunters slumped to the floor, the blaster wounds still smoking in the back of their skulls. She met Rex's gaze across the hall.

"Better hurry," he mumbled, and she nodded, punching the key code into her door before pushing inside with Rex close behind, dragging the bodies inside the room to hide them. Senna quickly moved to toss her change of clothes and datapad in her rucksack. When she turned, Rex was looking around the room before settling back on her. "That all?" he asked.

"Don't travel with much these days."

"Alright, let's get moving then." He gripped her arm, guiding her out of the room quickly. They walked out of the inn just as a pack of stormtroopers were jogging towards the front entrance. Rex pinned Senna against the wall, turning his face away from them as they rushed by. She could feel his breath on her cheek and became acutely aware of the way his gloved grip felt on her arm. "Probably heard the blaster fire," he muttered. His eyes found hers from beneath the hood, and for a second, Senna's breath stuttered as they stared at each other before Rex shook his head, stepping back from her. He kept his grip on her arm as he guided her down the street towards the town's landing docks.

Corellian in make, the small ship Rex was using was far from the most aesthetic thing Senna had seen, but she assumed it got the job done. She followed him up the ramp and through the hatch, her head on a swivel as she took in her surroundings. The cockpit was a two-seater and glancing at the controls, she could tell it was armed with a forward cannon and appeared to be hyperspace-capable. At least this bucket of bolts will get us where we need to go. There was a small kitchenette tucked into one corner of the central space with a tiny refresher opposite it. The central part of the ship seemed to double as the cargo hold. A few crates were neatly stacked against one wall, and as Senna looked around, she could see Rex's military precision in the cleanliness. Everything had a place, nothing was unnecessary or cluttered. The lack of decoration was more or less his personal touch, and she smiled to herself. At the rear of the craft, she spotted a door that hid a somewhat spacious bunk. That part surprised her, but Rex did like to sleep, so she supposed that slight splurge on comfort made sense.

"What did this set you back?" she asked, letting her rucksack fall next to the crates.

"Nothing," he grunted. "Gerrera needed to offload it and I was in the market. He was more than happy for me to take it off his hands."

Senna grinned at the mention of her old friend. "How is he?"

"Fine. Still fighting."

Rex's clipped answers didn't go unnoticed, but Senna decided it wasn't the time to mention it. Stepping towards the kitchenette, she brushed her fingers over the caf press, smiling when she felt its warmth. "Anything still in here?" she called over her shoulder. Rex glanced back from the pilot's seat.

"Should be a bit. Not as strong as you like it though."

Senna smiled at the note. "It's alright. I just need something to keep me awake."

"Bed's in back if you want to sleep. It'll take a bit to get to Pantora."

"Thanks." She pulled a mug from one of the overhead cabinets, emptying the dregs of the caf press into it before taking a sip. Not as strong as I make it, but not far off. She dug around in the cabinets as Rex lifted the ship into the air, heading towards the atmosphere.

"No sugar," he stated flatly, and her nose wrinkled. Still, she wasn't about to complain right now. He was at least speaking to her unprompted at this point. Strolling around the interior, she peeked through his cabinets to see what food he had.

"No noodles either."

She stifled a sigh as she noted the surplus ration bars he'd stocked. Great. Better than nothing I suppose. But barely.

She peeked through the half open door to the bunk. The bed was made with military exactness, not a wrinkle in sight, but something about seeing the indentation on the pillow where Rex's head rested made something within her stir. Sleeps on the right side still I see. Her thoughts drifted back to the last night they'd spent together on Ryloth, draped over one another as he snored softly and she planned her exit. Her heart ached at the memory, and she turned away quickly, striding to the cockpit and picking up the cloak Rex had placed in the other seat before plopping down next to him.

He kept his eyes forward and she tried not to stare. There were a few more scratches on his vambraces, one particularly deep through the blue stripe on his right arm. She noted he glanced at her quickly out of the corner of his eye and she turned her attention to the cloak in her hands. She realized it was the same cloak he'd had with them on Lothal. He'd patched the hole where the blaster bolt had torn into his chest, and as she rubbed the rough fabric between her fingers, she remembered how hard she'd clutched it when she'd been shot in the capital city. He'd patched her up in a back alley while Imperials hunted them, and she'd gripped the cloak so hard she was surprised she hadn't at least stretched it, permanently leaving indentations of her fingers in the threads. She folded it carefully and set it off to the side before she resumed sipping her caf.

They sat in a tense silence for a while before Rex made the jump to hyperspace. Heaving a deep sigh, he stood, moving past her without so much as a glance. Senna didn't dare turn around, but she could hear him grunting as he removed the plastoid pieces of his armor. She'd come to know the distinct clicks and snaps of each piece coming undone when they were together, and she could practically tell which pieces were coming off.

Gauntlets first, then the vambrace with his comm so he can set that somewhere within reach. The vambrace on the opposite arm, then his pauldron. The chestplate next so he can twist more easily to reach his shoulder bells.

A soft curse snapped her out of her imagination, and despite her brain telling her not to, she turned. Rex was gingerly pressing on his shoulder, trying to turn so he could see himself in the mirror of the refresher. Senna could see he'd been grazed by a blaster bolt, and before she could stop herself, she was standing next to him.

"Here, let me help."

"I'm fine. Go sit back down."

"Rex-"

"I said I'm fine," he snapped. "I've gotten really good at patching myself up. Now go. Sit. Down."

Senna withdrew her hands, ducking her head before she slunk back to her chair, pulling her cloak a little tighter around her shoulders. She let out a shaky breath, shuddering at how cold he was towards her. You should have known this was coming. You were a fool to think otherwise.

She missed the way Rex's gaze lingered on her before he turned to work on his injury as he had countless times before.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125K 2.9K 83
Ahsoka and Rex have been together for almost a year now, through many hard times like Umbara for instance. No body knows about them... except for Cod...
119K 4.1K 35
When your planet comes under invasion from the Separatists, a small force of clones from the Republic helps. Captain Rex leads a small group of his 5...
1.5K 64 11
Λšβ‚ŠΒ· ͟͟͞͞➳β₯π™π™Š 𝙒𝙄𝙉 π™”π™Šπ™π™ π™ƒπ™€π˜Όπ™π™ [ π‘­π’Šπ’—π’†π’” ] ━━━━━━━━━━ β•°β”ˆβž€ π€π«π’πš 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐑𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐑 𝐭𝐨 𝐑𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐚𝐭�...
13.7K 729 31
β€’ With the Republic gone, a new order is brought forward from the shadows. The new Galactic Empireβ€’ - - - After finding her way to the Bad Batch, and...