Guarded Hearts and Broken Win...

By gfcookies

A hyper-independent artist makes her awkward attempt at love when she asks to sketch her park crush, who happ... More

PART ONE - SPRING BUDS
1 - First Impressions
2 - 'I Know'
3 - Wife of Bath's
4 - The Phone
5 - Head in the Clouds
7- Spring Blossoms
8 - Cigars and Triggers
9 - Red and Blue
10 - On the Edge
11 - Swan Song
12 - Melting Hands
13 - Nice to Meet You
PART TWO - LATE FROST
14 - Lost at Sea
15 - Falling into...
16 - Candy Land
17 - Subtle Decisions
18 - Cracks and Keys
19 - The Break
20 - Fallout
21 - Memories of Flesh and Bone
22 - Dreadfully Empty
23 - 5 Things You Can See
24 - Poe's Cafe
25 - Profilers
26 - Flowers and Flour
PART THREE - FADING SUMMER NIGHTS
27 - Weeping Willows

6 - Growing Pains

1.4K 43 1
By gfcookies

Monday was full of paperwork for the team in Quantico, and to Reid, it felt like every minute dragged on. The team could not leave the bullpen fast enough so that he could sneak into Garcia's office. She was the only close friend that knew of Mel to any extent, and he desperately needed advice. 

 Whenever they finally started to drift out, he brushed off their protests for him to join their night out, saying he wanted to get ahead on paperwork for tomorrow. JJ gave him a curious glance before they left but decided not to say anything.

He stayed settled in his chair until he was confident the elevator door had closed and descended. Then, he shot out from behind his desk and hurried to Garcia's office. When he reached her door,  he confidently swung it open but proceeded to stand in the doorway awkwardly with his hands in his pockets. 

Garcia was standing in her office packing things into her purse when he busted into her lair. She turned around with giant earrings swinging, heels clicking, and a look of shock on her face to see Reid standing there. "What's up Reid?"

Reid's lips moved around on his face as he tried to decide what he was going to say. Finally, his eyebrows raised dramatically and he refused to make eye contact with Garcia. "I need your advice."

Garcia's heels happily clicked and she gasped. "Is this about the girl?" When his mouth opened then closed, she clapped her hands together. "Oh my god and you're asking me?! Okay, um, I'm kind of scared to mess this up, but very very very happy to help. Hit me up. Oh and I won't tell I promise, give me all the details"

"I think I may have offended her, but I'm not exactly sure how or how to make it up." His eyebrows went up and down like he was in deep thought.

Garcia's eyes darted to the side, and she tossed a hand in the air. "Well, is that it? You've got to give me more information than that. What's her name? What's she like? And what did you say?"

"Her name is Amelia," he licked his lips and started hesitantly, "I honestly have not known her for long but ... she's amazing. She's an artist, and she seems to put beauty in things that you would never have thought twice about. We talk about literature a lot. She doesn't seem to care what the world thinks about her. Oh, she does this thing-- "

"Oh Reid, baby, I'm going to stop you before you say you're in love after a few weeks" A sly grin crawled on her face when he opened his mouth to protest. She spoke faster. "What did you do?"

"I, um, I'm not sure because she wouldn't talk about it. She seemed to shut down in the middle of one of our conversations when we were talking about art careers. I gave statistics about wages and her tone changed drastically and she talked significantly less. Usually, she's so excited to add to the conversation that she nearly interrupts you."

"Give it to me word for word."

Reid repeated the conversation rapid-fire as Garcia nodded for him to continue. "Oh honey. You don't see what you did?"

"I just want to be sure. I'm not good at this. I don't want to ruin anything before it starts."

"Okay, Reid, the first thing you need to understand about us expressive people, if she is as you say, is that we have had our fair share of people telling us we're too much or our dreams are too much. That doesn't mean that it doesn't still hurt, and it's different when it's from a stranger or someone that doesn't matter compared to someone you really really hoped would have your back. Honey, she told you about her dreams and you gave her the statistics of her failure."

He sighed and looked down at his hands.

Garcia continued. "And it is highly likely she thinks about that every day of her life. She does not need to be reminded."

He nodded in understanding and hesitantly said, "So I need to apologize?"

"Yes!" She looked shocked that he even had to ask. "And show her that you have her back!

"How exactly do I do that?"

"Ignore your statistics for a moment and help her ignore them. Even if she doesn't make it, she'll likely be much more proud that she tried." She pointed her pen at his chest. "Do something nice for her. Talk about how beautiful her art is. Something." Garcia started to walk past with her purse in hand. "Walk me out?"

Reid nodded again at her advice and turned to walk out with her. "Thank you again. And please don't tell anyone else."

"Mum's the word." Garcia feigned zipping her mouth shut and tossing the zipper to the side.

******

Marcie and Mel sat chatting casually in their apartment on Monday. Marcie lounged on the loveseat with her feet in the air and snacking on cheese and crackers. Mel sat at the piano bench playing light, fluffy songs meant for beginners. Occasionally, she would throw a few fancy chords on it, but she was enjoying the simplicity and ease of the basic songs. Marcie was complaining about annoying coworkers who kept trying to change recipes by putting new spins on them. That was fine, she argued, she enjoyed doing that herself. Her issue was that their new ideas were terrible, and they argued that they were improvements.

Mel scoffed dramatically at her complaints.

"I'm being serious, Mel!"

"I know you are," she laughed, "I'm trying to hype you up."

Marcie rolled her eyes and took the lul in the conversation to eat her cheese and stare out the window. "So you're still set on not inviting Spencer?"

Mel slammed the notes to the song in annoyance. "How do you - I only told -" She waved away her unfinished sentences. "I'm enjoying the old-fashioned way this is going. Completely face to face. Slow. No pressure."

"Okay, okay, sorry I asked. You can continue to serenade me."

Mel huffed and continued to play. But then stopped. "I haven't even been invited yet. And I can go alone. That's fine. I am an independent, confident woman. Some dude there will probably ask me to dance. I don't need to bring a partner." Marcie just looked at her. A loud crunch of a cracker filled the pause. "And obviously, Saturday showed that he would think it was ridiculous anyway. I'm wasting my energy." She banged out the next part of the song. "You think I should invite him anyway? Test out the waters? Then if he's awful I can quit worrying about it before I fall for him at these stupid park Saturdays. Him and his ridiculous mound of books and FBI business cards and his stupid sweaters. You think I'm overthinking this don't you? God, I'm going to ruin this before it even starts."

Marcie, with a mouth full of crackers, finally mumbled. "I have said literally nothing, so..."

"I probably won't even get invited, so I should just calm down." She took a deep breath.

"And actually, how did you know about me even considering that? I only talked to Drew about the other day."

Marcie's eyes darted to a corner and back like she had to think of a response. As she opened her mouth, Mel's phone on top of the piano started to ring. She casually picked it up and held it to her ear. "This is Amelia Madden."

"Hello, Amelia Madden. We're calling to inform you that you have been officially invited to the silent art auction a month from now at the Rawley's Mansion."

Mel's eyes went incredibly wide, and she reached a hand out to Marcie, waving it wildly. Marcie sat up straight and waved a cheeseless cracker in excitement.

"That's fantastic! Thank you so much for calling!"

"Ms. Madden, as I am sure you are aware, this is a black-tie event. You will receive a plus-one invitation along with your own in the mail in a few days. You will receive an email list of the pieces that we are interested in being sold. This email should include other details such as parking, time, and the date. There is also contact information on it if you have any questions later. Are there any questions you have for me now?"

Mel's hand had been over her mouth to avoid screaming into the microphone. After a few seconds of silence, she realized she was meant to respond now. She jerked her hand away. "No, nothing at the moment. Thank you so much." Excitement radiated through her as she slowly stood from the bench. Marcie stood with her and hurriedly ate the rest of the crackers in her mouth.

"Have a good day Ms. Madden. We're looking forward to seeing you and your work."

"Yes, thank you very much. I look forward to being there! Have a lovely day!"

She hung up the phone then screamed and leaped into the air with the widest smile. Marcie ran to her, matching her screams and yelling celebrations in Italian. "Lo sapevo! Lo sapevo!"

Tears started to stream down her face as her jumping slowed down, but her smile was still there. "Oh my god. Oh my god." She just kept repeating. And suddenly a million different emotions overwhelmed her, and she sunk back into the piano bench. The happy tears become, well, everything tears. Marcie was quick to wrap her arms around Mel's shoulders, confident in where the tears came from.

"Oh I know," she shushed. "Really big steps today."

"I'm sorry. I'm being way too much. I should just be happy," she cried. "Why am I upset?"

"Hey," Marcie pulled away, "Don't apologize for having emotions. It can be exciting and terrifying and confusing 'I'm more than he said I was' emotions and everything else all at once."

Amelia forced a smile and nodded. "I know. I know." She laughed at her own tears, but they did not stop for a while. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8K 643 38
"I'm sorry for hurting you. I'm sorry for being so emotional all the time. I'm sorry for hurting myself the way i do. I'm sorry for pushing everyone...
2.2K 41 15
Dr. Spencer Reid keeps having these dreams. Dreams were this girl follows him everywhere in a dark room, whispering "run" while walking. Then, he pas...
100K 3.1K 42
After waking up from one of the most vivid dreams he has ever had, Spencer Reid searches for the woman who captured his heart. It is not until he is...