What's at Stake

By JordanLynde

After failing as a vampire hunter, 17-year-old Cleo is sent to an academy full of vampires as a false peace t... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
BONUS: Kaz vs. Felix Vs. One Bed Trope
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Fifty
Author's Note

Chapter Forty-Nine

5.5K 373 234
By JordanLynde

The day of the ball arrived before I was ready for it.

When I woke, I didn't move for a moment, anxiety coiling in my gut, making me nauseous. I'd barely gotten any sleep throughout the night, tossing and turning, having nightmares about everything that could go wrong. I'd wanted my dreams to be positive— a sign that everything would turn out okay. But instead, they were full of darkness and death. My death. Claude's death. Over and over. I would startle awake out of the dream, reach for Claude beside me, and put my hand on his chest to make sure he was still breathing before I fell right back into a repeat of the same dream.

And just a few times, I felt Claude's hands pass over my own chest, checking on me, too.

I knew he had to leave early to prepare for the event, so I sat up immediately, rubbing my eyes. Claude stood by my vanity, buttoning up his shirt, his image in the mirror reflecting his gold eyes, his black hair, wet and messy over his forehead, his lips curled down into a frown. When he noticed my movement, his gaze snapped to me through the glass. "Did I wake you?"

"I don't even think I slept," I said, yawning.

"Me either."

I pulled my knees up to my chest, wrapping my arms around them, hating the way my pulse wouldn't settle down. "I feel like we've been talking about this so much and now that the day is here, it doesn't feel real."

Claude came to the bedside, standing over me. "Remember what I've told you before. You're steady with your ideas and plans. And I am too. Today will be successful."

"What if he doesn't show up?"

"He will," Claude said confidently.

I hugged myself tighter, unsure. But I had to face my father today and put an end to this— I had to be confident, not anxiety-ridden. I'd had all night to be worried. Now I had to pull myself together and make sure today would be successful. I couldn't let my feelings get the best of me.

Claude brushed back my hair before taking my chin in his hand and tilting it up so I was forced to look at him. "Cleo."

"Yes?"

"Nothing will happen to you. I promise you that."

"It's not me I'm worried about," I said.

Claude moved his hand from my chin to my cheek. "I don't plan on dying to your father. In fact, he won't even get close enough to me to do any harm to me. Or you."

I pouted up at him. "That's not something you can promise."

"No," he agreed. "But thinking negatively will do nothing to help our efforts."

"You're right."

Claude frowned down at me for a moment. "Stop pouting, then."

"Let me be worried for a few more seconds, then I'll suck it up."

"Not because of that."

Before I could respond, he bent down, kissing me. I didn't move for a second, surprised, but then kissed him back, slotting our lips together, my hand going to rest against his abdomen.

"Your pouting face is just too kissable," he said as we parted.

I pouted again, purposefully.

His lips curved into a smirk before he kissed me again. When he pulled back this time, his lips pulled down into a frown again. "I have to meet with Evander and Nadir. I don't think I'll be able to see you before the ball begins."

"What?" I responded, my chest tightening. I wouldn't see Claude before then? We were going right into facing my father after being apart all day?

"Don't worry. I'll meet with you before we enact our plan."

That didn't make it any better. What if something went wrong? Then we'd have spent our last day apart—

I shoved that thought away. I wouldn't think like that. I had to stay positive. "Does Evander know Nadir is here?"

Claude shook his head. "No. Evander won't find out until we have your father locked down."

"Ah, okay."

"I'm off, then." He put his hand on my head, stroking my hair, and then moved his hand to cup my cheek, kissing me one more time. "I'll see you later."

The strongest urge to prevent Claude from leaving came over me and my hand stretched out after him subconsciously. When I realized what I was doing, I quickly pulled it back. I couldn't stop him or hold him back. We had to stick to our plan, no matter how apprehensive I was.

I slapped my hands to my cheeks, causing Claude to glance back at me as he opened the door. I grinned sheepishly. "Just preparing myself for the day."

"Don't injure yourself before the hard part comes."

I sat properly, giving him a determined nod. "I won't. I'm prepared to fight."

He raised an eyebrow. "I meant dancing."

"Right..." A new kind of alarm ran through me. "Dancing."

As Claude left, San and Adora came sweeping in to go to class together. I decided not to shower before class since I figured I'd be sweating through class all day.

"Where's Kaz?" I asked as we made our way to our first class.

"He said he had other stuff to do," San answered.

I frowned. "With Claude?"

San shrugged. "He didn't say. Just said he wouldn't be in class today and he'd see us later."

I'd wanted Kaz around today for the extra comfort, but it didn't take long for me to forget about him. There was something cruel about having class the day of the ball. All the students were nearly shaking in excitement while I hunched over in nerves. I couldn't pay attention in class, and neither could anyone else, but our reasons were vastly different. Lietz had just given up halfway through his lecture and put up tutorials on how to ballroom dance on the projector.

I actually appreciated that. It distracted me from my thoughts because I did not know how to dance and didn't want to go into it blind. But maybe I could get away with not dancing. Just stand by the wall, eat some snacks, maybe.

Although when I glanced at San and Adora and saw how captivated they were by the tutorial, I knew that wouldn't be happening. I refocused my attention on the screen. I had to learn. Quick.

And after classes finished, Adora whisked me away to get ready, and from that point on I didn't even have enough time to think about being stressed about what would go on in only a few hours anymore. At least the taking-my-father-down portion of it. The dancing portion of it, though? I still worried about it.

I let Adora take charge of my appearance for the night. She seemed excited to dress me up and do my makeup and hair, and I liked seeing her so enthusiastic. Besides, I didn't even know how to do my own makeup. I'd never done anything to my hair besides dye it in my life, either. Adora worked easily and quickly. She told me she didn't want to do extravagant makeup, but as she brought out a makeup bag full of stuff, I got the feeling her definition of extravagant makeup didn't match mine. When she set down a highlighter, I knew I'd be in the chair for quite a while, especially since she had to do her own makeup, too.

"Did you buy makeup specifically for me?" I asked as I realized half of it was brand new.

"Duh. Did you think you could wear my shade, Cleo? You're as pale as a ghost."

I blushed a little. "You didn't have to do that. Was it expensive?"

"You can pay me back by being my friend for a very long time," she responded seriously.

"I'll do that for free," I said, smiling, as she turned her back to me to dig through her makeup bag again.

She pulled out a bottle of foundation and turned back to me, holding it to my skin. "I think I got it right. Let's get started."

By the time Adora was satisfied with my hair and makeup, we had to rush to put on our dresses. I helped Adora with hers first, and then she helped me into mine. She spun me around, double-checking her work, and then for the first time all night, she let me look at myself in the mirror.

"Wow," I said immediately upon seeing my reflection, and Adora laughed.

She'd done a great job. No, better than a great job. I looked beautiful. I almost couldn't believe it. The makeup she chose matched my dress beautifully, from the sparkling of my eyeshadow to the color of my lips and blush. None of it clashed with my hair, either. My hair that laid curled to perfection, with not a strand out of place. She was a miracle worker.

"You like?"

My hands smoothed down the front of my dress. "Yes. Now I understand why so many people like me."

Adora's newly manicured eyebrows shot nearly to her hairline. "Such confidence from you, Cleo!"

"I'm just kidding," I said, laughing. "But really, you did a great job. And I haven't said it yet, but on yourself, too. You look stunning."

Adora did a little curtsey. Her long, burgundy maxi dress clung to her body. The cut was so low in the front, I wondered how her boobs would stay in place, and not fall out, but it was sexy. The bodice of the dress was made entirely of lace, the part right under her breast becoming see-through, revealing her skin down to her waist, where it became satin at the skirt and draped to the floor.

"Did you notice?" she asked, kicking out her foot, making the fabric of her skirt slide off her leg. "We have matching shoes."

I held out my own foot, too, pushing my skirt away. I hadn't noticed yet, but Adora was right— she'd got us matching shoes. The only difference was that mine was in my shade of nude, and hers were in her shade of nude. "I like that."

"Heh, me too. Are you ready? The boys are waiting for us."

Suddenly nervous again, I nodded. "Yeah."

"Let's enjoy the ball for a little bit, yeah?" she asked, putting her hand on my arm comfortably. "We deserve that much."

"Yeah, you're right. Let's go."

By the door, Adora paused. "Is our plan still on?" she quietly. "About Kieran?"

I nodded, trying not to tense at the sound of my sister's name. "Yes. She'll be here. If she's not here already."

"Then I'll meet with you later when you want to make your move."

Two guards stood in front of the two giant doors that led to the ballroom. With impassive faces, they reached for the handles as we approached them, and swung open the doors for us.

Electricity thrummed through my body as Adora and I stepped through the wooden doors and my breath caught in my throat as my eyes took in the wide expanse of the ballroom before us. The ceiling stretched impossibly high, illuminated by glittering gold chandeliers. Arch-shaped windows spanning the height of the room took over the right side, while the two other walls I could see were made of wood carved into beautiful designs and decorated with gold furnishings.

In front of us, on the polished marble floor, was a sea of sparkling dresses and shining shoes, students mingling amongst each other, crystal glasses in their hand, some full of colorful liquids I couldn't identify, the others with the tell-tale crimson color of blood. The hum of soft voices and carefree laughter filled my ears and the scent of something floral met my nose as I breathed in deeply.

I didn't realize I'd come to a stop until Adora's hand appeared on my lower back, urging me forward. I shook myself out of the awe, scanning the room more meaningfully now, searching for Kaz and San. Toward the back of the room, dozens of tables were set up, draped in off-white table cloths, and each had a large vase of assorted flowers on it, revealing the source of the floral aroma.

"Cleo."

I turned at the sound of my name, and my gaze landed on Kaz. His appearance caught me off guard. I didn't know why, but I hadn't expected the boys to dress formally.

Kaz wore a black silk shirt, almost as low-cut as Adora's dress, similar to the one he wore the night of his birthday, and over it, he wore a fitted, dark purple suit jacket. Black slacks and shiny Derby shoes. My attention was drawn to his neck, though, where he wore multiple gold necklaces layered perfectly, a beautiful contrast to his brown skin.

"Aren't you supposed to be wearing a tux?" Adora asked before I could find my voice to compliment him.

Kaz shrugged, and the motion drew my attention to his ear, where a long, gold chain earring dangled. "I found it too restrictive for tonight."

"You look good," I finally managed to say. How, exactly, had Claude been in Kaz's presence for all these years and not fallen for him?

"You, do, too," he said, his eyes crinkling as he smiled.

"Where's San?" Adora asked.

Kaz pointed toward the back of the room. "Over there with Felix."

"Where's Claude?"

"With Evander. He hates it, but he has to be formally introduced."

I could definitely see Claude hating that. "Let's go join the other two."

Kaz held out his elbow, and I didn't realize it was for me at first. I hooked my arm through his. "Where have you been all day?"

"I had somewhere to go off campus," Kaz responded but didn't elaborate, maneuvering around the crowd of students moving about the room.

"You went alone? Kaz, that was dangerous," I said, pulling on his sleeve and making him face me. "No one even knew where you went. What if you'd been caught out there by a hunter? If my family knows who you are, you might be a target, too."

Kaz seemed taken aback by my concern and his eyes widened a fraction of an inch. "I was careful."

"Still," I said, pursing my lips at him. "What if you'd been hurt? If you need to go somewhere again, at least take someone with you. If no one else could have joined you, then I would have gone with you, even if I'm not supposed to leave campus. I'd do my best to protect you in case something went wrong."

Kaz curled his hand into a fist, frowning. "Cleo..."

I didn't want him to feel guilty, so I grinned. "Stronger in groups, remember?"

And then his expression changed immediately, lips curling down, eyes narrowing. "Really?" he asked so quietly I almost missed it.

"Huh?"

"Is that why when I asked you to keep me updated with Claude's plans, you decided to keep it from me instead?"

My heart skipped a beat. "That's not—"

"It doesn't matter now," he cut me off, turning away from me.

"Kaz, I'm sorry," I said, grabbing his wrist and preventing him from walking away from me. "But it's better to have the least amount of people involved. I just want you safe."

"Well, I want the same thing," he said, pulling his arm free of my grip.

I watched him walk toward where I could see Felix and San in the distance. The sounds around me seemed more muted, and the room less colorful. I forced myself to follow Kaz, finding it hard to breathe suddenly. I knew he'd be mad when he realized what Claude and I had planned, but I'd at least hoped he wouldn't until after the ball. Now I saw how impossible that was. I hadn't mentioned one thing to him since he asked me to keep him informed.

I didn't want things to be awkward, so I sucked my feelings up. I deserved that from Kaz. When it was all over, I'd just apologize. We'd be able to return to normal.

Felix frowned as I approached him and he shot a pointed look at Kaz. "Did you really have to ruin her mood right now? What did you say? She was smiling two minutes ago."

Kaz just glared back at Felix. "It's none of your business."

I waved him off. "No. I'm fine. Kaz didn't say anything wrong. Come on, let's get along for the night."

"Cleo is right," San agreed. "Let's all get along. We don't know what will happen after tonight."

"You two look good, by the way," I said to San and Felix.

Felix stood out in his outfit. In a good way. He wore a white vest lined with black over a white dress shirt and a white tux jacket with black detailing over the shirt. He paired it all a pair with black slacks and then white shoes. White wasn't normally a color I saw Felix in, but it suited him well. It brought out the color of his contacts and matched well with his hair.

In fact, it made me giggle.

He looked offended. "Are you laughing because you think I look ridiculous?"

"No," I said, pointing at my hair. "I'm laughing because we both our outfits match our hair."

San snorted. "Wow, you two really did."

"Adora picked out my dress in my defense. But I love it," I said quickly. "I couldn't have chosen something better."

"I'm sure San would have if too I didn't tell him I'd be wearing red," Adora said, suddenly appearing by my side with two red drinks in her hand.

I looked San over again. Surprisingly, he was dressed the most lowkey out of all of us. He wore a black dress shirt with a navy vest over it, foregoing a suit jacket. His wrists were adorned with many silver bangles, fingers flashing with rings, and silver hung around his throat, too. "Balls aren't my thing," he said. "In more ways than one."

Felix snorted and Adora rolled her eyes, handing me one of the drinks.

I took it cautiously. "This isn't blood... right?"

"Yes, Cleo. I'm giving you blood," she sighed. "It's fruit punch."

"Just double-checking," I said, taking a sip.

A sudden hush fell over the room and the lights dimmed. All of us turned toward the door. "Claude must be coming," San said.

"He's going to be so embarrassed," Adora giggled. "I can't wait to see this."

"They're introducing him?" I asked.

The pair nodded, both smirking like crazy, and I felt a little bad for Claude. But I still wanted to see this. The crowd of students made it hard to see and I quickly pulled a chair free from one of the tables to stand on it and watch him come in.

One of the guards yelled something I couldn't make out and I didn't know why they didn't use a microphone for this type of thing, but that thought disappeared when the door opened.

Claude entered, captivating the attention of every single living being in the room, including myself. He wore black from head to toe, but his tux jacket glittered in gold detailing, regal and beautiful under the lights. His clothes were fitted and showed the shape of his body, making his presence even more domineering.

He was so handsome. It made my knees weak and I nearly lost my footing on the chair, throwing my arms out to keep my balance.

The motion caused Claude's gold gaze to zero in on me.

I carefully straightened out and waved at him with both of my hands and the faintest hint of a smile crossed his lips before he looked away.

I wanted to get closer to him and get a better look, but the crowd of people on the floor of the ballroom began separating, clearing an area toward the middle of the room. I had to get off my chair before the people swarming us knocked me over. Felix helped me down, pulling me closer to him as more and more people crowded us.

But a second later, they began moving away. Confused, I looked around, wondering if they'd finally noticed it was me they were clustering around.

However, Felix nudged me in the side, and I looked at him, then followed his gaze to see Claude approaching us, and I knew he was coming for me. And I wanted to go to him.

I didn't hesitate, moving toward him, as if attracted by a magnetic force. Claude's eyes never left mine as we walked toward each other. The world was muted around us. We stopped when there was only a foot of space between us. Up close, I could take in his outfit in better. Not only did the suit jacket have gold detailing, but his dress shirt also did, but in a darker gold, not visible from far away. My hands itched to touch him, but I kept them by my side.

"You look very handsome tonight," I said, biting my lip to keep from smiling too wildly.

Claude gazed back at me, not saying anything.

"Human got your tongue?" I teased.

He took my right hand in his, pressing it to the left side of his chest. "She has my heart."

Warmth spread through me and I tried to control my blush. "Claude..."

A small, coy smile crossed his face. "You look beautiful."

I grinned at him. "Thank you."

He dipped his head down, lowering his body into a slight bow. "Would you like to dance?"

"In front of everyone?" I said but still let him lead toward the middle of the room where no one stood now.

"I have to do the first dance and I refuse for it to be with anyone but you."

"But—"

"I don't care what anyone thinks of us, Cleo," he said, coming to a stop and facing me, the hand not holding mine going to my lower back.

Despite my words, my free hand went to just below his shoulder, where I thought I was supposed to hold him. "I can't dance, I'll just make a fool out of you—"

"I don't mind," he said, entwining our fingers as the orchestra struck up. "Just focus on me. I'll guide you."

The music started soft and slow, simulating the way Claude swayed me across the floor. I barely dared to breathe, so focused on trying to dance properly. I knew this first dance was for show and I didn't want to mess things up. He was royalty and he chose me. My hand was sweaty in his but he held it firmly, slowly swaying me across the ballroom dance floor.

Each step matched the sonorous score from the orchestra, rising and falling, twirling and gliding. Claude led me confidently, his hand firm around mine, his movements precise. When I looked past Claude, I could see the entire student body watching us, countless faces appearing and disappearing as we moved. Distracted, I stepped on Claude's foot, embarrassment flooding me. I ducked my head, wanting to die. "I'm sorry!"

"Eyes on me, Cleo. Just me."

Swallowing, I raised my head, looking into his eyes. The usual burning, molten gold. The eyes of royalty— once so intimidating, now so reassuring. I relaxed, nodding, taking in a breath. I memorized the pattern of the waltz, slowly becoming more of a partner than a mannequin. A swirl of colors was behind Claude as we moved, everyone else becoming a blur in my peripheral, leaving only us again.

It was only when Claude's muscles relaxed under my grasp when the music slowed that I realized he was nervous, too. It broke my daze, and I realized other people were joining us on the dance floor now, and the music had changed to something slow again.

When I tried to let go of Claude's hand, he held it tighter. "We're not done yet."

"The dance isn't over?"

The hand on my lower back pressed into me, forcing my body flush against his. "That one is, but not ours."

"Oh."

Our proximity made my throat go dry, but I couldn't deny I liked it. Seeing him in his tux made me want to touch him all over, and this was the closest I'd be able to in public. I pressed myself closer to him, if possible, swaying to the music, resting my head on his shoulder. His body heat seeped through me, comforting and warm.

I wanted to stay like that forever, but I knew I couldn't.

"Is everything all set?" I asked, barely daring to ask the question louder than a breath but knowing the music must have drowned it out to anyone else.

I felt him nod slightly. "Are you ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

"I wish I could stay with you all night, but I have to socialize." He said the word like it was some kind of disease.

It made me laugh. "You'll be okay."

Claude suddenly tightened his hold on me, nearly crushing me, his breath caressing my ear. "I'm sorry."

Sorry for what? came to the tip of my tongue, but before I could ask, he let me go, passing me to Adora. She effortlessly led me in the dance, grinning at Claude as she stole me away from him.

I smiled at her antics, throwing an apologetic look at Claude before we disappeared into the other dancers. He was that sorry for trading me off to Adora? I didn't mind, though. I wanted to dance with everyone. Although a part of me did want to monopolize Claude's attention, he was the prince, and I knew I couldn't get away with it.

Adora's hands were more delicate than Claude's and her moves a little sloppier. We giggled as we accidentally stepped on each other's toes and nearly bumped into other couples. She spun me, and then I tried to spin her, only getting our arms tangled together.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Claude dancing with another student, but the distance between them kept me from feeling any jealousy.

Adora went in for a dip, and I nearly fell flat on the floor. Another pair of hands caught me before I went tumbling.

"My turn," Felix said, shoving Adora's hands off me.

She stuck out her tongue at him before randomly selecting another student to dance with, forcing them to leave their other partner.

"You smell nice," I said immediately, clutching Felix's shoulder. "You're wearing cologne?"

"Why not? You smell nice, too."

"I'm not wearing any..." I trailed off, grimacing. "Ugh."

"Delicious, I'd go so far to say."

I let go of him. "Bye."

He snatched my hand back and put it against his side. "Aww, I'm just kidding. Dance with me, Cleo."

"Go dance with Kaz."

"I tried but he's grumpy, so I don't want to test him. He might actually murder me."

I frowned. "Really?"

Felix whirled me around so fast that this time, I did lose my footing and he had to hold me up. "Don't think about it. Let's have fun. Kaz can be moody if he wants."

"I'm dizzy," I said, my vision spinning.

In response, Felix spun me again.

A flash of red popped into my vision. "Save me!" I cried to San.

He immediately left his partner and shoved himself between Felix and I— which was actually pretty impressive considering there wasn't much space between us. "At your service, Cleo."

San was just as bad of a dancer as I was. After a few bad attempts, we decided to move way out of the way of the other dancers, attempting to mimic them.

"I've never been interested in dancing," San said as we tried switching roles. "I always refused lessons."

"I don't think I can guide," I said, putting my hand on his waist. My first push on him made him bump into a table hard enough to knock over some glasses.

San glanced behind him. "Oh man, we're so hopeless."

"At least we're hopeless together?"

"I think we need to be careful. What if we injure each other?"

He was right. I stopped trying to move him around. "Should we just call it quits?"

"Let's find partners who can lead us," he agreed. "There's Kaz."

In the darkest corner of the ballroom, Kaz stood by himself, arms folded over his chest, his face in an expression that had anyone interested in asking him to dance running away before they got close enough to do so.

Even I kind of wanted to run away, and I was pretty far away.

San patted my back. "Good luck."

Straightening my back, I began toward him. I couldn't leave things awkward between us. As I approached, he looked at me, his features softening. That was a good sign.

I curtsied in front of him. "Care to dance?"

Kaz's hands flexed before he stepped forward. He took me by the hand and waist, saying nothing, keeping his distance. He fell into the rhythm easily, making it easy for me to follow along. But it still felt off.

The music sped up, and Kaz kept pace, dragging me along, twirling me, not giving me a break. Sweat beaded at my forehead. My hand nearly slipped from his. I had to break away from him and catch my breath. But just as I went to tell him this, the music ended.

"Kaz," I said as he let me go.

He didn't answer, disappearing through the crowd as another song started up, leaving me by myself. A lump formed in my throat. I didn't like this. I didn't want him to be mad at me. Not now. I had to fix it.

I took a step after him, but as I did, I saw a movement outside one of the arch-shaped windows lining the west wall from the corner of my eye. A face peeking in, a shadow racing across. My heart jumped into my throat. I knew immediately who it was.

Without hesitating, I ran to Adora, grabbing her arm and dragging her through the crowd of dancers, nearly tripping on my dress in my haste. This was our chance. I shoved through the too tall double doors into a corridor where a handful of students stood, chatting amongst themselves, taking a break from the balmy, crowded ballroom.

When their eyes landed on me, a ripple of tension crossed them. I didn't have the time to care. I hurried down the corridor, Adora and I's heels clicking on the polished stone.

Kieran wouldn't make a foolish mistake like that without a purpose. She knew I'd know she'd be here. She knew I'd be looking for her. She'd shown herself to me on purpose. To make me come to her.

For what... I'd have to find out.

Another glimpse of a figure through a window, and I jerked Adora in that direction. "Is it Kieran?" she asked breathlessly.

I glanced behind me, making sure we weren't being followed. "Yes."

"Then we have our chance!"

She was leading me somewhere. Somewhere private. I came to a stop by a door that led outside to a dark courtyard. I knew she'd be out there. "Adora, stay here."

Adora turned to me, taken aback. "Huh?"

"We only have one chance. Let me talk to her first. Then you can help her get off campus, okay?"

"Okay," Adora agreed surprisingly quickly. "You're probably right. It might be a little overbearing if I'm there. I'll stand guard."

We exchanged one brief look before I stepped outside into the courtyard. For a second, I stood still, listening. Not even the sound of wind rustling the dead leaves met my ears. But I knew Kieran would show herself.

And she did, on the far side of the courtyard. She stood half in the shadows, half under the light of the moon.

Part of me wondered if I should have brought my dagger, but it was too late. And I wanted to trust Kieran to make the right decision.

"Kieran."

The echo of my voice throughout the darkened courtyard stopped my sister in her tracks. I took a couple, careful steps toward her, afraid that I'd either scare her away or provoke her into attacking me. The frost coating the ground cracked under the weight of each of my steps, the only noise in the eerie silence of the courtyard.

Kieran's foot scuffed in the ice as she turned toward me and the moonlight revealed the glint of silver in her hand. "If you take a step closer to me, Cleo, I can't let you go. Back off."

My heart leaped into my throat at her threat. "I'm not your enemy," I said, keeping my voice light, taking another step closer to her.

"I mean it, Cleo," she hissed.

"I just want to talk. Don't you, too? Isn't that why you led me here?"

Her silence was her answer.

"Did you read my letter?" I asked her, my voice just loud enough to carry across the expanse between us.

This was something the others didn't know. Not Claude, not Kaz, not even Adora. I hadn't even been sure it would be able to get to Kieran without my father noticing. I was glad it did.

It took her a moment to respond. "Yes."

"I left something out," I said, raising my voice a little bit more, keeping it confident. "I know, Kieran. I know you're a half-vampire."

Kieran fell back a few steps as I continued to close the distance between us, her voice catching in a sharp gasp. "What? How? Y-you were never supposed to find out."

"I don't know everything," I admitted honestly. "But I do know that our father is much crueler than either of us were raised to believe. How could he raise us to despise vampires? When that's half of who you are, Kieran? How could you accept that all these years? Why?"

"I despise that part of myself," Kieran responded, repositioning the dagger in her hands. "It's disgusting and vile—"

"No, it's not," I interjected. "Nothing about you is, Kieran. And nothing about full-blooded vampires are, either."

"I already know you've taken their side."

"I'm not taking a side. It's not them or us. I just want peace. I don't want to see people die anymore," I told her. "Our father is a murderer. Maybe some of it was necessary, but there was more that wasn't. It's not right to live like that. Why does everyone have to suffer needlessly? I just want to help put an end to it. And if small actions can change the trajectory of the future, that's what I want to do. And I'd like for you to be by my side in that future. No more cruel training. No more death."

Kieran glared off in the distance. "That's not possible for me. You said you've heard about me. Then you already know. I've already killed so many—"

"That wasn't you!" I interjected, throwing my hand out. "You were forced to do that. It was killed, or be killed, wasn't it? You were a child—you still are a child— listening to your father's orders because we were taught that's what good children do. No matter how heinous and abusive the father who ordered that is. We didn't know better. We didn't know anything. That wasn't you, Kieran. You didn't have a choice and didn't even know you could have had one."

Kieran's hands shook. "That's..."

"It's not too late," I said, finding the courage to move closer to her again. Just a few more feet. "I know it's hard to change. To recognize how much he has mistreated us. To break free of the manipulation." My voice began to catch in my throat, and I closed my mouth, swallowing hard. "But you don't deserve to live like that. You deserve to live a normal life. He taught you to hate yourself, Kieran."

Kieran shook her head, clenching her hands into fists. "He taught me to protect myself."

"I won't deny that's true, but there's more wrong he did than right. But we can fix things. We don't have to live like that anymore." I paused. "But if you do this... if you try to kill me, or to kill Claude, there's no going back from that. No for you, or for us. I won't forgive you."

"I..."

"I don't want to lose you, either, Kieran. Once this is over, we can go home. Mom is waiting for us. I know you were forced to drug her too."

Kieran flinched, her eyes widening. "No. I didn't want to. He told me she'd die if she didn't take them!"

I bit my lip, feeling a twinge of guilt because that had been something I mistrusted Kieran about, too. "She's doing fine now, Kieran. He lied to you. Stop this. You won't have to fight anymore. You won't have to kill anymore. Do you really want to continue living a life like that?" I asked, voice shaking as I stopped in front of her.

Kieran held my gaze for a moment before she slumped her head. "No," she whispered. "I hate this. I hate fighting you."

I reached for the dagger in her hand, and she let me take it away. Hope swelled in my chest. "Please. Don't do this."

"Then what am I supposed to do?" Kieran stared down at her now empty hand, gritting her teeth together. "All I'm good for is killing. For him. To keep my family safe. I just want to be a good daughter and sister. I just want to be human."

I took her hand in mine. "We can figure it out, Kieran. I don't care that you're half-vampire. That doesn't change anything. But I'll hear you out. You can tell me everything. And we can figure out what we're supposed to do from here on out together."

"What about Father?"

"He has to pay for what he's done," I said, my hand tightening around hers. "He has to, Kieran. He's killed so many innocent vampires. Entire families. He has slaughtered and terrorized, and he needs to be stopped."

She turned her head away. "I have, too."

"That's different."

"In what way? Those vampires and humans are still dead."

I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. Maybe there was nothing Kieran could do to change that, but being coerced into it by our father didn't mean she was on the same level as him. "We can figure it out later. Just, please. Go home. Don't go after Claude. Please."

Kieran didn't answer me for a moment, and my blood ran cold. Would she turn on me now? Wrestle the dagger back from me and stab me? Would she leave me, but still go after Claude?

"I didn't find out Father put you in that dungeon until after you saw me here that night," Kieran spoke, and it took me a second for her words to register. "I didn't know... No, I didn't want to believe he'd actually kill you. He always says that. He always uses death as a threat."

Her words horrified me. He used death as a threat? Whose death? Hers? Mine? Our mothers? All three combined?

"I wouldn't have left you there," she said, her jaw clenching. "I wouldn't have. But I thought they took you away from me. I knew you'd never come back after talking to you and learning how you felt about those vampires and how you hated us now. I didn't want to be alone, Cleo. That's why I felt I had no choice. You were always by my side. You're all I know."

I wrapped my arms around her, hugging her tightly. "No one took me away from you. I'm still your sister. I don't hate you."

"He did want to protect us, Cleo. In his own way," she said, not hugging me back. "Especially you. He made me do the dirty work so you could live peacefully."

Did he? I didn't know what to believe anymore. He did such terrible things, but... I could still remember the times where he didn't. The moments were sparse and scattered, but I still could remember his praise when I perfected a move on the first try, or the warm hugs I received when I completed a punishment. In some way, I knew he was protecting us. But he went about it in the wrong way. Especially if he considered putting Kieran through worse than me as protecting me. I always believed she just trained harder than me— that was why she was stronger than me, faster than me, better at everything than me. But I realized now my father treated her worse than me, and she had to work twice as hard to keep him happy.

I understood Kieran's feelings. She couldn't just write him off as a terrible person. I couldn't either, not fully. I needed to give Kieran the same time I took to come to terms that he wasn't the perfect father we thought he was.

"Go home," I said. "Stay with Mom. Don't get caught up in this."

Kieran finally looked at me again. "And Father?"

"He has to pay for what he's done, Kieran. I can't just let him go."

"No, I understand that. But you won't kill him, right?" She dropped her gaze again. "He's still our father. I still love him."

My eyes widened. "What? No! Of course not. We're not planning on killing him. Didn't you hear me when I said I was tired of people dying?"

"Promise me," she said, holding up her pinky finger.

The sight almost made me laugh. Kieran, always so tough and withholding all emotions, still using such childish motions for a promise. It reminded me of when we were younger, before the horror of Kieran's purpose was revealed to her. Now that I knew everything, thinking about specific moments in our past made more sense. Moments where I was jealous of her when now I realized I shouldn't have been.

But I didn't have time for reveries. I held out my pinky to her. "I promise you, Kieran."

"I trust you."

"I couldn't even hurt a vampire dummy, Kieran. You think I could harm our father?" I said, smiling a little. "I would never. He's still our father. I don't want him to die."

"And your... friends, do they share that sentiment?"

I nodded. "Yes, they know how I feel. That's why we decided just to have him arrested."

Kieran seemed content with my answer. The guard she had up relaxed a little. "Okay. I'll leave."

"I'll have Adora help you off of campus so you don't get caught."

"A-Adora?" Kieran stuttered, a hand going to her chest. "Why her? I can go by myself. I got here no problem."

I gave her a knowing grin. "Oh, come on. It'll be safer. She's waiting inside. She wanted to give us our space."

"Um, does she know everything?" Kieran asked quietly.

"She's understanding," I responded, guiding Kieran toward the empty hallway where I'd left Adora. "I told you. They're not anything like what our father told us. They're just like us. I would have never realized you were half-vampire until Felix told me. That's how it feels around them, too. You would never know. That's why it makes no sense why our father tries to separate us so much from them—"

"Watch out!" Kieran shouted, shoving me away from her.

I stumbled and fell as something whizzed by inches by my face. On my knees, I looked around frantically for the source of the attack, and my heart skipped a beat as I realized at least seven hunters surrounded Kieran and I. How had they gotten in? When? Why didn't we hear them approaching us? How could this have happened?

"Found you girlies," one of them said, tossing a dagger between his hands.

"Kieran, what are you waiting for?"

No... there was no way we could fight this many off. Not without attracting the attention of other students or faculty. And Adora and I had snuck off on our own. No one else knew we were out here. The hair on the back of my hair rose as I realized every single one of the hunters were armed with daggers, too.

I couldn't drag Kieran into this. They could believe I betrayed my father, but if we were caught, they couldn't know Kieran had planned to give up. In case everything else went wrong too, I had to make them believe she was still after me.

"Take your dagger back and put it to my neck," I said quietly, trying to get it out in a breath, keeping my lips as still as possible.

Kieran didn't take her dagger back, instead producing another of her own, but she didn't put it to my neck as I'd said. She adjusted her stance. "They're here for you. I tried to hide from them, but I guess they followed me."

"You thought to tell me there were a bunch of other hunters here now?"

"I didn't expect to change my mind!" she said quickly and furiously. "And then I was a little preoccupied. We have to fight. I can't imagine they'll just let me go when they realize I'm helping you, either. Don't let them get you. Fight, Cleo."

I didn't have much time for her words to register before I heard someone else call my name. "Cleo! Run!"

Dread set in me as I saw Felix coming toward us from the corner of my eye. How did he find me? Where was Adora? This was one of the worst possible situations. He would notice Kieran and go right after her. I knew he would. Even with all these hunters around, he'd try to kill Kieran, and put himself in danger.

I didn't have any more time to debate. We were being rushed by the hunters. I couldn't even move as they descended on us, trapped on all sides. Hands grabbed us, daggers cut my skin. I jerked, throwing out my arms, swinging blindly, panic swelling up in me. I had to remain calm to fight back, but I couldn't. My panic was taking me over.

No, no, no. It's not supposed to happen like this. I couldn't get hurt here. I had to help Claude. I had to take down my father. I had to end this. If we were caught now, if the faculty saw Kieran and me with the other hunters, everything would be over. There could be war.

"Agh," I groaned as a dagger ripped through the skin on my side. Another sliced down my arm as I brought it down to protect myself from a second attack.

"Should we kill her now or bring her to her father?" one of the hunters asked, a hand tightening around my wrist.

"Doesn't matter," another answered, and I heard Kieran grunt in pain.

"Cleo!" Felix shouted again, closer this time.

"Stay away!" I shrieked. They'd kill him, too. Coming to me would be suicide. "Run—

ugh— run!" I couldn't see, tears blurring my vision, forming from desperateness more than pain. I ruined everything. I was so stupid.

"Stop!" Felix cried desperately. "Stop!"

Felix's voice cut me harder than the daggers. If I died here, he'd witness it. It would scar him. He'd seen so much death already. I couldn't die here. I threw out my arm, sticking my dagger into one of the hunter's side. In turn, he stabbed his through the webbing of my hand. I stared at my hand in shock, seeing the dagger piercing through my skin.

Someone hit me over the back of the head with something hard. I lost my balance, falling into a hunter who caught me by my hair.

It was over. I knew it was.

I looked down at my dress, once the prettiest shade of pink, now covered in the ugliest crimson shade of blood.

"Just kill her now. Save everyone else the hassle."

I couldn't even stop it. I closed my eyes. Please, I thought to myself, if anything, let Claude succeed. I don't care what happens to me. Let Claude end this.

"STOP!"

A heaviness settled over me, and I nearly fell over. Had I lost that much blood? The pressure got worse and worse. The hunter holding me released me, and I dropped straight to my knees, my hands hitting the cold ground hard, barely able to hold myself up. A second later, the hunter fell to the ground, too. And everyone else did as well.

My pulse quickened, and I gasped, realizing belatedly what this feeling was. The Sway.

Claude was here.

The pressure continued to increase, though, and I could barely lift my head. Why was he exerting it on me? Couldn't he choose the targets of the Sway? I grit my teeth, moving my chin up inch by inch.

My eyes scanned the courtyard for Claude. Where was he? When my gaze landed on Felix, my chest tightened at how afraid he looked. His face was ashen, his hand reaching out in the air toward me, his mouth hanging open.

Beside me, Kieran rose to her feet.

I couldn't even open my mouth to ask her how? My arms were about to collapse. I couldn't hold myself up anymore. Why wasn't Claude taking the Sway off me? I had to give up holding my head up, my chin falling back to my chest.

A second later, something warm and wet hit the top of my head, running down my forehead. Red spilled onto the ground in front of me. The hunters around me began to shout, but within seconds, their cries were cut off. I realized then the red liquid pooling around me was blood. And a second later, one of the hunters fell into my line of vision, his throat sliced open, blood spurting from the horrific wound on his neck.

I choked in a breath. "W-what..."

It all happened in under a minute. Then the Sway lifted. I didn't move for a moment. I knew what had happened. I couldn't look.

Kieran had somehow broken free from the Sway, and while the hunters were under the influence, she'd killed them all.

Felix's hands were on me a second later, helping me up. My legs were shaking so hard I couldn't support myself. I couldn't look at the bodies littering the courtyard.

"Are you okay?" Felix asked, holding me to his side.

The smell of blood in the air was nauseating. I felt like I was going to throw up. I looked around for Kieran, only seeing more dead bodies, and shoved myself away from Felix, falling to the ground again and vomiting.

"Don't move," Felix snapped at someone.

No. Not someone. Kieran. She was the only one alive out here besides Felix and me now.

"I'm not going to hurt Cleo, don't worry. But I don't have time to deal with you right now."

"What—"

"Keep your promise," Kieran said, standing over me, her expression emotionless, blood covering her from head to toe.

She didn't wait for an answer before leaving. I shook my head, bile rising in my throat again. She'd killed them all to protect us. Killed them all when she had the advantage. She had to. She'd done it without hesitating. The perfect weapon. Just as our father raised her.

"Come on, Cleo. Get up," Felix urged, crouching down beside me again.

I wiped my mouth with a shaking hand. "Where's Claude?"

Felix's expression scared me.

"Where is he?" I repeated, my heart hammering in my chest. "He's okay, right? He just used the Sway. How else—"

"That wasn't him."

"Huh?"

"It was me," Felix whispered, stricken. "I don't know how I did it. I panicked. The next thing I knew, I felt the power flow through me. I knew it was the Sway. I knew what to do."

I grimaced, the back of my head throbbing from where it'd been hit. "You used the Sway?"

Felix lifted me to my feet. "We have to find Claude."

I took a trembling step, numb. "How could you have the Sway? That's not possible."

A faint memory of Sura's words hit me. When Caelum passed, Claude inherited the Sway.

Felix's more recent words came right after. I am your brother. Your older brother that was banished so you would become the crowned prince, and later ordered to die so that you'd inherit the Sway.

And Claude's confirmation to my own question.

The Sway is only passed down to one member of the royal family?

It seems so.

"I thought only one royal family member could have it at a time," I said, not feeling the cold air around me, not noticing the dead hunters around me, not even really realizing I was speaking, my mind caught up in the implications of my thoughts.

"Cleo, we need to find Claude," Felix repeated, an edge to his voice. "Now."

I stared at Felix in horror as it finally dawned on me.

Felix had inherited the Sway.

______________________

I was so excited to write the ball scene and then I got to it and couldn't think of anything, so eventually, I will expand and add to it, but for now, this is good. This chapter was 8k words and I just wanted it to be over LOL. It's so annoying to write with a broken keyboard but I have no choice because I'm so picky.

We are at the endgame, folks!!! Only a few chapters left of book one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

350K 11K 80
When vengeance strikes in the form of a bullet out for the princess's blood, Princess Aleia VonAuclair must flee the heart of her country in order to...
241K 12K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...
8.3K 925 39
"Your mine," His voice is husky as he looks down at me. I shake me head and take a step back from him only to make contact with the wall behind me. ...
9.8K 400 21
Cleo Arcangela Heath was a normal 16 year old, with a normal loving family and normal friends. Note how everything's in the past tense. After the mu...