Pretty Pheonix

By prettierflowers

Blair Justice, aka Agent Pheonix, had only known one home all her life, which coincidentally happened to be t... More

• Prologue •
Chapter 1 | Late on the first day
Chapter 2 | Accidents Happen
Chapter 3 | Confused
Chapter 4 | Caught
Chapter 5 | Unwanted
Chapter 6 | Apologies
Chapter 7 | Walking on Eggshells
Chapter 8 | Jeffery and Punishments
Chapter 9 | A bad boy on a motorcycle
Chapter 10 | A New Royal
Chapter 11 | Housemates
Chapter 12 | The Royals at Home
Chapter 13 | Bentwood
Chapter 14 | The Missing Wig
Chapter 15 | Mission Avoid
Chapter 17 | Kingston Centre
Chapter 18 | Drop It
Chapter 19 | Another Letter
Chapter 20 | The 4 Clover Country Club
Chapter 21 | Consequences
Chapter 22 | The Chase

Chapter 16 | I Know You

157 8 0
By prettierflowers

Declan just gave me an envelope.

Confusion washes over me as I blink at the envelope now in my hands. Is this real or am I having a nightmare? — Since this clearly isn't a dream. Why did he giving this to me?

A million questions invade my mind and I'm sure the confusion can be seen on my face so I mask it with nonchalance.

I look up at Declan to find his hazel eyes already on me. I spot something deep within his gaze, but he hides it very well until it's no longer there.

I can't even scan his face for an indication to what this is.

His eyes hold no decipherable message, face displaying no kindness and posture slack, like he doesn't have a care in the world. Only his natural arrogance radiates, thickening the atmosphere around us.

Now I desperately want to leave, but I know I can't just ignore him. That would be too suspicious.

Maybe it's best to act like nothing happened yesterday and get this last interaction over and done with.

"What's this?" I ask, dropping my gaze to the envelope that weirdly has my name written on it — with the worst handwriting I have ever seen in my life, might I add.

He turns his attention back to his locker and slams it shut, making me jump. "It was in my locker." His deep voice answers, surprising me that he actually replied unlike Wednesday evening, when he walked past me like I barely existed.

He returns his eyes to me, uncaring but still with a brooding, intimidating aura. He says firmly, "next time your friends want to send you notes, tell them to put them into the right fucking locker."

I stare at him stunned.

Without another word, he walks off, taking with him the crazy that was just displayed here.

Of course, Declan is literally the human version of a grumpy cat. No, no just a cat but a Jaguar. A big, mean, Jaguar.

I watch his distancing figure, stupefied before I turn my attention to the envelope again that really does say my name. My lips fall into a frown.

Someone sent a letter for me?

Well they mustn't be that bright if they couldn't even slip it into the right locker, now can they? I discard the letter in my bag to read later and take a moment to breathe, because I really wasn't with the demon around.

I might have bumped into Declan just now and he may not have cared, but I do believe I still have every reason to avoid him after the incident. This will never sit right with me.

I decide to continue pretending it never happened but still avoid him at any cost. That'll work.

Now, time to run away before the Jaguar returns.

•••

"Bye, Blair!" Olivia and Delilah bid they as break away from me, walking towards Olivia's car. I wave them off with new peace and continue on my way, ready to enjoy my event-less Friday night and the weekend to follow.

When I arrive home, I fall into my routine of taking a needed shower to rid myself of my disguise and do homework. When I'm done, I have an early dinner and head off for an early night's rest.

After Luke's mockery of my "physical abilities" this morning, I decided I was going to start training again.

The next morning I wake up at 4a.m. for an early morning run. Clad in black leggings and a loose black hoodie, I start off from my house.

The sky is a canvas of black, embroidered with a few scattered jewel-like stars, hanging over my sleeping neighborhood. This is the perfect time to exercise and not be disturbed.

I'm not going so hard on myself today, opting for a light jog around the suburb, but I can see the tole my non-active physical life has done on my body. I'm sweating insanely for a simple jog.

Once I return home, drenched in sweat but pleased with myself for making a long over-due run slash jog, I gulp down an entire bottle of water and take a shower. Then make a simple breakfast to please my appetite.

At around seven, I decide to check on Falcon and am honestly not surprised when his room is empty. He must've went to the party with the Royals and spent the night at some else's house.

Good on him. Note the sarcasm.

I leave my thoughts on him then and there and watch tv, following reruns of the Seinfeld Show, a bit of Nat Geo, Pretty Little Liars and Friends.

I've watched a lot of shows since my arrival here for my purposes relating to my cover here of course, since I do take my job seriously.

Half-way into the second episode of Friends, my phone rings and I answer it, my eyes still on the screen as I wait for Joey to repeat what Phoebe's said in French.

"Good morning little chicken."

I honestly wish that had come from Joey, but it didn't.

"What do you want?"

"Not even a good morning back?" Falcon slash Luke says in a sad tone. "You're breaking my heart."

I roll my eyes, "goodbye."

"Hang on, I have something for you to do." He says, getting right to the point. "Could you bring my German notebook to Alison's house?"

Alison's house? Isn't that in the North?

I blink. "You want me to take a thirty-minute bus ride to the North to deliver a notebook?"

"Yes."

"Goodbye." I huff and hang up. He calls a second later but I ignore it. Do I look like one of his school minions? No, the answer is no I don't.

As I watch on, his incessant phone calls get to me, even after having silenced my phone. Finally, I stomp into the kitchen and pick up the telephone, annoyed.

"Whats her address?"

•••

I have to give it to Luke who always manages to ruin my day. I used to like weekends because I didn't have to wear my disguise, yet here I am, in my sweater and jeans combination on a Saturday morning.

Argh.

I bang my head against the window for the umpteenth time, earning an weirded look from the bus driver. After getting off the fourth bus, I finally come to my last stop.

According to Luke's directions,
Alison's house should be in... holy cow.

I pause to stare at the tall black gates of Windshield Estate, one of the, or if not the biggest estate in the town.

Men in uniform by the gate look at me skeptically when I approach, but after getting my name, they allow me to pass through.

Windshield Estate is humongous and honestly a dreamland of mansions. Every mansion has a pool and pretty green yards with lush gardens, there's a shopping center here and to get from house to house people ride golf carts, I mean... what? There are also these aesthetic mini parks between each house.

A guard drops me off in front of a cream colored mansion that has a fountain in the center of its circular driveway, saving me a good half mile of walking.

The estate must be relatively safe for the wealthy here not to employ armies of security guards, but then again going by the five security cameras facing Alison's driveway and the additional ten different security devices I spot as I walk up to her front door, it's reinforced.

There's a knocker and a doorbell so I make my arrival known with both by pressing the bell and then banging the knocker.

After a few moments, the large, white door opens and a ray of sunshine greets me. And by a ray of sunshine, I mean a radiating Alison Lorre.

I doubt she's ever had a bad hair day in her life because her golden locks define perfect volume and curl. Even today, when most teens who attended the party are supposed to be hung over and haggard, she looks perfectly fine.

She has on a conservative white top with matching bottoms and snickers as well. No wonder she looks like an angel. Her make-up is light and simple and goes to say that god really has his favorites.

Alison's eyes brighten the moment she realizes it's me and she gives me a welcoming smile, "good morning Blair, how are we today?"

Ugh, even her greetings are sweet.

"Uh, fine thank you." I reply shortly. Alison pays no heed to my curt reply, instead giving me a friendly smile and invites me into her monster of a home.

"Wow, this is huge." I say, unable to hold in my astonishment. The inside is much more spacious than I thought, then again, it is a fricking mansion. The interior design is frankly simple but elegant. It's honestly a home anyone would die to have.

Alison chuckles in front of me, "thanks, but I probably have the smallest house out of the six of us." She says, referring to the Royals.

What is she talking about? Compared to her house, Luke and I pretty much live in a dumpster. Except he's the trash.

She leads me through a large doorway to an open living area that surprise; is without a tv.

Despite being in awe of her lovely home, I feel on edge. I know that if Luke is here, it also means all the Royals are here, which includes Declan as well. Which isn't good for me.

During the bus rides here, I was annoyed at Luke, but even more worried about bumping into Declan. I'm still not afraid of him, but just wary. Like I said, I can't get over what happened.

The initial plan was to give Luke his stupid book at the door, but since Alison had opened it instead and invited me in like the good person that she is, that plan is now in the bin.

"We're just having a late breakfast in the kitchen. Would you like some?" She offers politely.

I can feel my stomach crying at her offer, but I don't want to stay here any longer than necessary, especially with Declan around.

"I'm fine, but thanks for the offer."

I look around curiously, taking time to admire her home and memorize the directions we take so I can escape after whacking Luke's german notebook in his face and skid-addle my way out of here.

Ew, did I just use skid-addle?

I hear familiar voices just around the corner and mentally prepare myself to come face to face with the rest of the noble party when I catch sight of a short mop of brown hair racing towards me from the corner of my eye.

When my eyes land on the face of the little boy who runs up to me and stops in front, they widen and I push myself back onto the wall with horror.

What the heck?

A younger Declan looks up at me, his hazel eyes filled with the curiosity of a child. Strands of his light brown hair falls over his eyes which he swipes away with his little hands before squinting them, like he's trying to see me clearer.

"Alison." I call in distress, unable to move with this creature staring at me like I'm a gecko he's about to whack with a rolled up magazine.

Alison turns around, confusion in her eyes when she sees that I'm not following behind her, but stuck onto the wall. With my eyes, I gesture to the miniature version of the devil taunting me.

Following my sight, hers widen when they land on the little boy and with a grin, she rushes to grab him. "Aha, I've got you!"

Instantly, his concentrated stare on me drops and he giggles before pouting.

It's like seeing Declan giggle and that idea itself is very disturbing.

"Not fair, Ali!" His little voice complains, "I was distracted!"

"No, no, Tyron, you know the rules. Besides you're scaring Blair." Alison says and has to stifle a chuckle when she sees me, "are you okay Blair? You look a bit... traumatized."

Huh? Oh right, I'm still glued to the wall.

I collect myself, feeling my cheeks heat up with embarrassment and step away from the wall, clearing my throat seriously.

"Yes, uh... let's just pretend that never happened, okay?"

Alison forces her lips in a line and nods.

"Blair?" The five-year old Declan tilts his head up to look at me, his eyes with curiosity.

"Yes, Tyron. This is Blair, Luke's cousin and Blair, this is Tyron, Declan's younger brother." Alison introduces us, still look like she's having a hard time holding back her laughter.

Humph!

So he's the jaguar's little brother. Great, there's another one of him.

Alison leads me to the kitchen with Tyron following closely, his eyes still trained on me like I'm the most interesting thing he's ever seen.

Gosh, children are just shameless; staring at strangers like this without feeling ashamed. Just like his brother.

Alison's kitchen, as expected is huge with hardwood floors, marble countertops, a big double door refrigerator and a dozen different appliances that look untouched.

It's something out of a Beautiful Homes magazine.

I find Collin and Luke sitting on stools by the island with bowls of some kind of soup in front of them. Jake stands near the gas stove with an apron on and beside him is Declan, who's leaning against a counter, his eyes on his phone.

The only person I don't see is Malissa.

Unlike Alison, the guys do have the signs of a hangover on them, but it's not exactly bad.

To put it in an easily comprehensible way, let's just say that if Delilah or any other disgrace of a child who worships the Royals were here, they would probably drool or do something embarrassing like faint.

Yes, that sounds about right.

"Cousin!" Luke calls when his eyes land on me, waving me over with a playful glint in his eyes. He's wearing the same shirt from the day before. "How pleasant of you to join us. Come, sit." He orders, like he's giving orders to a dog and it must purposeful, going by the smirk on his lips.

This insolent little—calm down Blair, no violent thoughts. There's a child here, remember.

Yes... I look down at the younger Hyder and quickly look away when I notice he's still staring at me.

Luke pats the stool between him and Collin, as though I'm blind.

"Take a seat, Blair." Alison urges, walking over to where Jake is standing, "I know you said you weren't hungry but please just have something before you go."

There she goes again being nice. This was just supposed to be a short visit. Why is this happening to me?

Against the complaints of my brain screaming at me to leave the book and run out, I comply, not wanting to come off as rude.

I take a cautious glance at Declan when no one is looking and walk towards the island when a small hand grabs my wrist, garnering my attention.

"Oh! I know you!" He shouts excitedly, jumping up and down, looking like someone who's just accomplished a great task.

"You've seen her before?" Jake turns around, pulling his concentration away from the pan currently on the stove, cocking an eyebrow at Tyron.

Everyone's but Declan's eyes rest on the child.

"Where have you seen her before?" A voice asks from the doorway.

There she is, the Jaguar's girlfriend.

Malissa's wearing a purple turtleneck that accentuates her emerald eyes and a short, black skirt with black boots. Around her neck sits a golden chain that I have a feeling is of pure gold. The entire outfit gives off a city girl vibe, but also a 'don't speak to me unless I speak first' threat.

Well, you wouldn't want to piss her off in front of Declan, now would you?

Her light brown hair is a shade darker than usual, making it look like she's just come out of the shower and there's a trace of dark circles under her eyes, but she makes them look like art.

There's a reason why Malissa is considered the prettiest girl at school, her beauty is simply unparalleled. If she chose to become a celebrity, her looks would certainly sky-rocket her into becoming an A-list star and guarantee her a spot on TC's most beautiful faces of the world.

Tyron glances at her almost annoyed and then looks back at me. "You're the girl I saw at the cupcake shop the other day."

If it was possible, my heart stops beating there and then.

He was there?!

"The cupcake shop?" Luke repeats after him, confusion written all over his face.

Collin chuckles. "You saw her at the cupcake shop, Ronnie?"

The youngling nods.

"Are you sure it was me? It could've been someone else." I question.

He wouldn't happen to be one of those little kids in that kindergarten class, would he? I try to think back to that horrid day.

Tyron shakes his head eagerly at me. "No but it is, I remember it's you because when the cream on the cupcake—"

Yep, he definitely was.

"What is that on the stove? Pancakes? I love pancakes. Could I have some pancakes?" I rush out to Jake who looks about ready to burst out laughing at my spontaneous way of cutting the kid off.

It's obvious that I don't want anyone, least of all the Royals, to know what Tyron and his friends saw that day. It's so humiliating.

Tyron's eyebrows scrunch up unhappily, "hey! You didn't let me finish what I was going to say."

I shudder. Please don't say it. I beg in my head but mentally prepare myself for total humiliation when I see the signs of a tantrum forming on his little face.

Then, sensing something, his eyes move to Declan and suddenly his explosive expression falls into a stubborn pout.

Fine, an adorable pout.

"This is very, very bad." He begins after composing himself, "as your punishment, I'm not going to tell the funny story." He crosses his arms over his chest, looking cross at me.

Phew.

I don't give a shit kid, as long as no one knows about the incident that should not be mentioned, then I'm fine.

"What? No, tell us the funny story." Luke urges in a tone, trying his luck in the child.

Thankfully, Tyron shakes his head stubbornly, resembling the arrogance of his older brother. "No."

Suddenly, a random thought comes into my head. I wonder if Declan gave Tyron one of my shampoo bottles...

Not the time!

Did I forget to say Tyron is wearing a red cape? Anyway, he gives me the stink eye and holds onto one side of the red material

"I swish my cape at you!" He says and does so, then retreats from the kitchen... pleased at disrespecting me?

There are crickets chirping in my head right now.

"That kid is obsessed with Planes, I swear he called me Dusty Crop-hopper this morning after I came out of the toilet." Collin mumbles, something I never thought I'd hear from the suave King.

"It's the Disney magic." Alison laughs, "children are heaven-sent."

Has she lost her mind, did she not see the look he gave me before he left? The devil was in the child.

I take the seat between Luke and Collin, my stomach yearning for food. I'm served a stack of pancakes with cheddar and I never knew I would love the combination so much.

Halfway through my stack, I get the feeling someone is looking at me. When I look up, the person quickly averts their gaze, but I've already seen it.

The displeasure.

_____________________________

A/N: so I didn't update after the "few hours" like I said I would. I can't think of an excuse to tell you guys, but even if I did have one, I'd still apologize. I'm sorry guys. To the kind souls patient enough to read this. I am deeply sorry.
I seriously need to get a move on with this story and since this is the start of my Christmas holidays, I'll be sure to update more. So yay! More time to write!

And yes, Declan has a little brother.

Also, thanks for 500 reads! I honestly wasn't expecting anyone to read this book, so thank you :).

P.S - I put a picture of cupcakes because, just because.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

283K 7.8K 34
••• This is a story about a girl. A girl who lied all too well. One who was bored, pretty, and sad. A girl who mastered the art of pretending. Pr...
315K 2.8K 16
Kendall Lockwood spent her life in the shadows of other people. She was athletic but her brother, Austin, was the star quarterback. She was popular b...
376K 14.4K 38
Then a boy steps out from the crowd, standing between me and the office. He looks to be the same age as me and has startling golden hair hanging limp...
5.5K 211 43
When two girls have been professionally trained to be spies and for any mission. They have been trained; how to lie, get out of dangerous situations...