World on Fire | J. Saltzman...

By multi_fandom2015

I'll return from darkness and will save your precious skin I will end your suffering and let the healing ligh... More

S U M M A R Y
A C T 1
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y - O N E
T W E N T Y - T W O
A U T H O R S N O T E

S E V E N

268 15 2
By multi_fandom2015

"Oh, you're awake." Stella rushes to the woman's bedside with a cool glass of water. The woman's eyes dart around the room as she pushes up from the bed, flinching back when Stella comes to her side. "It's ok, I'm not here to hurt you. This is some water." She places the cup on the side table. "I'm Stella."

The woman simply stares for a moment before taking the glass and downing it in a gulp. "Oh, that feels so good," she breathes out, her shoulders relaxing. "Really hoping it's not drugged and you're not gonna harvest my organs or something."

Stella chuckles, shaking her head. "No, don't worry." Leaning back, she sits in the nearest chair, her hands tucked between her thighs. "Uh, Vanessa will be here soon. I'm just keeping an eye on you. Trying to remove myself."

The woman frowns. "Sorry, do we know each other?"

"No, but we will."

"Not like that sounds ominous."

"Right," Stella purses her lips. "You stumbled onto our campus. You were really sick, but we fixed you, so I gotta ask. What are you?"

"What am I?" The woman chuckles. "I don't understand. Where am I?"

"The Salvatore School. But, seriously, what are you?"

"Salvatore School? What, like, in Mystic Falls?"

"Did you hit your head?" Stella arches a brow. "Yes in Mystic Falls. You came to us. What do you remember?"

The woman's expression falters. "Uh, not much. How long have I been here?"

"A couple days. My girlfriend and I found you in the woods. You had been attacked by a—"

"Some animal," the woman says. "It was an animal, I think. I was with some friends and then..." She frowns once more.

"It wasn't an animal, actually." Stella searches the woman's expression. "It was a werewolf."

"Werewolf?" She laughs, though it sounds fake. "Did you hit your head?"

Stella crosses her arms. "Your blood had traces of magic in it. Before last night, you were a witch, so don't bullshit me. I'm a witch too. See?" She waves her hand, water flowing from her finger into the empty cup. The woman's eyes widen. "Now, I'll ask again, what are you?"

"A witch."

"Not anymore."

"Stella, stop," Stella rolls her eyes as Vanessa comes up to her side, hair strewn to the side that she desperately tries to smooth out. "Ignore her. She's stressed and rude." Stella sticks out her tongue. "My name is Vanessa. Sorry for the circumstances."

The woman blinks before looking down at the restraints around her arm, leaving only one free. She tugs at the ropes as runes glow faintly in the thread. "What the hell? Why can't I—"

"Because you don't have magic anymore," Stella replies. "You got bit. Twice."

"Bit?" The woman exclaims. She runs her free hand down her body. "Where?"

"Uh, your side and your neck," Vanessa carefully motions. "Both are healed now, though. Listen, I know this is a lot, but we are trying to help you. You came to us on the brink of death. You were in transition, and we healed you."

"Transition?" The woman's voice goes up an octave. "No, no, no. I'm not—I—"

"Sorry," Stella sighs. "I get it, it sucks but—"

"Stella," Vanessa hisses. "Why don't you go deal with something else?"

The woman shakes her head. "Why is it so bright in here? I can't breathe."

Stella raises a hand and lets the air circulate around them. She sighs at the feeling of the wind brushing against her cheek as the woman begins hyperventilating, Vanessa coaching her through it.

"There," Vanessa says as the woman calms a bit. "Better?" The woman nods. "Ok, I don't want to overwhelm you, but I feel like you want answers, right?"

The woman gulps. "I can't be a vampire. I don't have the stomach for it!"

Stella clicks her tongue. "Good thing you're not. A vampire, that is."

The woman's eyes dart between them. "You said I was in transition. Now I have to drink human blood."

"I also said you were bit by a werewolf," Stella replies. "Not the kind you're familiar with. The kind that can turn you. You're not just a vampire. Blood tests confirm it."

The woman stares at her with wide eyes. "I'm a hybrid?! Oh my god, what am I going to do? I can't be a hybrid. That's, like, double the problem! Oh, stupid faith. Stupid!"

Vanessa sighs as the woman begins working herself up again. "Stella, remove yourself," she says.

"Ugh, why?"

"Do it, please."

Stella rolls her eyes as she stands up and walks out of the infirmary. Unfortunately for her, Josie is already waiting. "Hey, what's—"

"We have a lead," Josie says, taking her hand and dragging her downstairs to where the rest of the squad is waiting. "I didn't want to interrupt you, but Hope is already MIA and you make the best portals, so—"

"Ok, where?"

"Packing plant," MG says. "Suspicious person sighted."

Stella nods, glancing at the others. Aaron stands suspiciously close to Lizzie with his hands on the hilt of his sword. Kaleb and Isaac stand together in waiting as well–all of them relying on her.

Pushing her hands forward, she twists her fingers, whispering the spell under her breath. Purple mist appears before them to reveal the outside of the packing plant; the moment the portal solidifies, she steps through and races after the footprints she can see in the dust.

Busting into the large factory, Stella's heart stops in her chest. She comes to a stop as Hope turns to face them, saying, "It's ok, guys. I've got it under—" Hope pauses when Stella meets her gaze.

"What did you do?" Stella breathes. Isaac races past her to kneel next to the body of a teenage boy while Hope seems oblivious. "Hope, what did you do?"

She does not understand how everything moves so fast, but it does. Isaac takes control of the situation—a situation that should never have happened—by calling the police, Dorian, everyone that needed to be called. Meanwhile, Stella sits with Hope, holding her cousin's hand tightly even as Hope stares blankly in front of her. Stella cannot imagine what it must feel like to know you killed an innocent kid without realizing.

"There's no way you could have known," Stella says softly. "Malivore is tricky like that. Let's just go back to the school, and I'll make my dad's famous soup. That always cheers you up. There's nothing we can do—"

"Yeah, there is." When Hope looks up, Stella recognizes the resolved fire in her gaze. Her mother sometimes gets that look. So does she. "The thing I should have been willing to do all along. I have to become the Tribrid before anyone else gets hurt."

~~~~~

"No, no, no, we're going to talk about this!" Stella slams open Hope's door only to slam it shut behind her. There is a rage burning in her gut that won't go out with a simple I'm not going to talk about it, Stella. No, this requires a full-blown argument. One that has been waiting to happen for months.

"There's nothing more to talk about," Hope replies, folding her arms over her chest.

"Hope, there is always another way, but once again, you're going with the unilateral decision always made by you!"

"Not this time." It infuriates her that Hope seems so nonchalant. "We all knew this day was coming. Here it is. Malivore just found a way to turn innocent people into monsters that he controls. They're not gonna stop coming, and eventually, we're gonna run out of cages and chains and sleeping spells, and then what? The longer we leave him alive, the more innocent people are going to die. I can't live with that."

"We can live through more than we think," Stella snaps. "And if that's what you really believe, then you are a hypocrite. What happened to our acid trip through space? What happened to screw fate, screw endgame? We decide our destinies, right? You're just in shock, and it's understandable. So, calm down and take a second to think."

"Don't tell me to calm down like I'm the child." Hope narrows her eyes. "I just killed someone. You know, the Stella I know and love who always let me choose what dress-up game we played would have let this happen in a heartbeat. It's the right thing to do, and you know it."

Stella scoffs. "It's not that simple, and to patronize me, to tell me that it is, is bullshit, Hope."

"Why not?"

It only takes a split second to choose. In this moment, she could tell the truth, tell her cousin all of her fears and all of her doubts that have been bubbling in her mind for months. She could choose to add her burden to Hope's. So, instead, she does what her mother would do. She lies: "Because it won't work."

"Why wouldn't it work?"

"Because you're not ready!" Stella shouts, throwing her hands out to her side.

Hope's expression falters. "You don't trust me."

"That is not what I said—"

"Just like you didn't trust me enough to tell me that Landon was alive."

"That is not the reason." It is more than a simple warmth that blooms in her chest—it is a living flame growing hotter and hotter like molten lava. "I was trying to protect you, and let's not forget that ever since I came to this school, you have treated me like shit until you start feeling guilty. We are talking about more power than anyone has ever had before, besides, maybe, my mom. No matter how strong you make everyone think you are, I still remember the little girl who cried when her father stopped sending her cards. You are my cousin, and I know you. You are not strong, Hope, you are barely holding it together, and it's ok, but making this decision isn't."

Hope shakes her head. "I am fine. What, are you scared I'll—"

"Yes!" Stella exclaims. "Yes, Hope, I am scared! I am scared because I may be my mother's daughter, but you are your father's. And that terrifies me." Inhaling sharply, Stella bites her lip. "That's not how I meant it—"

"Get out."

"Hope—"

"It's not your choice. Get out."

Stella purses her lips and slowly makes her way to the door. "Just ask yourself how far Klaus was willing to go for you." She glances over her shoulder. "Because I remember him breaking my arm for you, and he had a thousand years to control his anger. And, as much as I don't want to admit it, I know he would have killed me that day to save you. Is that really what you want?"

When she slams the door closed between them, she wipes away the tears threatening to spill down her cheeks. When she turns to walk away, the squad stands in her way. "Stella..." Josie breathes.

"How can you say that to her?" Lizzie demands.

Stella feels her body threatening to fold in on itself. "You don't understand," she mumbles as she turns on her heel and walks in the other direction.

"Stella!" Aaron shouts.

Flames flare up in the wake of her footsteps. "Leave me alone!"

Bet you weren't expecting that, huh? Faceclaim for mystery hybrid coming soon :)

Hope you enjoyed!

-L

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

226K 7.3K 45
I'm slipping into the lava And I'm trying to keep from going under Baby, you turn the temperature hotter Cause I'm burnin' up, burnin' up For you, ba...
41.8K 1K 20
Sarah Nightshade, aka Sadie, was not your average girl. She's a blonde 17-year-old with anger problems, but...she's also a hybrid. A mix between were...
67K 1.6K 52
No one tells you how much things will hurt when those you love most are ripped from your life. It's been seven years since Hope and Henry Mikaelson h...
1.3K 34 14
Faith Mikaelson has suffered through a lot with the loss of her mother, Hayley Marshall, and her father, Klaus Mikaelson. She has grieved and is stil...