The Aberrations of S.I.D.E.

By DragonWriter77

Virgil's life has changed drastically since last October. In the span of eight months, he gained a group of f... More

No. 1: Phone Call
No. 2: Welcome Back!
No. 3: We Declare Anarchy
No. 4: Julian
No. 5: First Revenge Heist of the Year!
No. 6: Family
No. 7: Research Project
No. 8: Costume Planning
No. 9: Shakespeare Is Funnier Than You Think
No. 10: Sparring and Swearing
No. 11: Anything Can Happen On Halloween
No. 12: Simply The Best
No. 13: 07734
No. 14: Shit's Getting Serious
No. 15: Ultimate Horror
No. 16: Powers Explained
No. 17: Closeted As Of Now
No. 18: Practice Makes Perfect
No. 19: Dumbed Down
No. 20: Housewarming Gifts
No. 21: What Can I Say?
No. 22: Family Time
No. 23: Flying's Overrated
No. 24: Snowfall
No. 25: The Theater Has Many Secrets
No. 26: The Curse Strikes Again
No. 27: It's Up To You
No. 28: Talking Things Out
No. 29: Family Reunion
No. 30: Memories and Mishaps
No. 31: Darkness Hidden
No. 32: Kiki
No. 33: Chaos and Comfort
No. 34: Not Anymore
No. 35: Better Every Day
No. 36: And All That Jazz
No. 37: Second Shot
No. 38: Email Warning
No. 39: Get Wrecked
No. 40: Crew Head Training
No. 41: Just Your Problem
No. 42: So Kind
No. 43: You're Worth Every Risk
No. 45: Hurricane Marcelle
No. 46: I'd Do The Same For You
No. 47: Flame Blown Out
No. 48: Crossed The Line
No. 49: Has He Changed?
No. 50: Systems Down
No. 51: Breakout Breakdown
No. 52: Love Like You

No. 44: Not That Awkward

452 33 71
By DragonWriter77

For the second time in the past couple months, Virgil woke up to Roman—not to him singing loudly, not to him passed out on the other bed, but to Roman sleeping right there beside him. And this time around, nothing stopped the moment from being perfect.

"No, Mummy, I don't want the mashed potatoes," Roman mumbled in his sleep.

Nah, that's still sweet.

Virgil proceeded to poke him until he woke up.

"Wuh?" Roman rubbed his eyes. "Oooooh. What time is it?"

"Time for us to get up, probably. It's a Wednesday."

"Oh shit!" Roman leaped out of bed and hastily started to get dressed. "Why didn't you set an alarm or something?"

"Hey, when you're setting up a romantic and steamy evening with your boyfriend, you don't think, 'oh, you know what would really set the mood? Setting our alarm for tomorrow!'" Virgil said, sitting up. "Not my fault Valentine's Day was a school night this year."

Roman grabbed his phone, checked it, and let out a sigh of relief. "Okay, we woke up early. Good."

"Good because we didn't miss class, or—"

"Well, yes, but also this." Roman leaned down and gave Virgil a kiss that probably lasted at least a minute and a half.

"I'm guessing that was a 'thank-you?'" Virgil murmured after he broke away, grinning.

"Thank you, I love you, you're the best boyfriend ever—same difference." He ruffled Virgil's purple streaks. "Get dressed. We've got a long day of embarrassment ahead of us."

...............

"Do you feel like people are watching us?" Virgil asked as he and Roman walked into the dining hall.

"Everyone's focused on their breakfast," Roman assured him, patting him on the shoulder. "You're good."

"I know, it just—it kinda feels like everyone can tell, is all."

"Just because Remus could doesn't mean that everyone else can. My brother has a sixth sense for that."

Virgil raised an eyebrow. "Well, I'm pretty sure Mars heard you last night, so."

Roman gave him a light shove. "Shut up, emo."

They finally made their way to their usual spot, where the other four were already seated. Virgil steeled himself for the inevitable teasing.

"Morning, you two!" Patton chirped, waving. "Sleep okay?"

"Yep," Virgil answered, sitting down and spooning some scrambled eggs onto his plate. "Better than ever."

Roman beamed at Janus and Remus. "How was Rocky Horror, guys?"

The two of them let out twin sighs of euphoria.

"I am not exaggerating when I say that it was paradise," Janus said, twisting a lock of hair around his finger with a dreamy smile. "I think we have a new Valentine's Day tradition on our hands."

"And it's all made better by how going there proved, once again, that Tim Curry is fucking hot," Remus added. "I think I know what my type is."

"Oh?" Janus looked up. "And what is your type?"

Remus winked. "Sarcastic guys with British accents who absolutely kill in lipstick."

"Well, thank hell I fall into that category."

Virgil cleared his throat. "So, uh, Logan, how was your—"

"Don't talk to me," Logan said thickly, crunching on a piece of toast with more aggression than Virgil thought was possible.

Patton winced slightly. "Yeah, last night's Amphibia watch was... hectic."

"Marcy was his favorite?" Janus concluded.

"Yep."

"A fun and nonsensical kid's show, Patton," Logan grumbled. "That was what you promised me. A FUN AND NONSENSICAL KID'S SHOW."

"You heard 'talking frogs' and assumed," Patton told him, pointing at him. "It is not my fault that you got attached to the character who goes through the most out of anyone. It's not my fault that I did, it's not my fault that everyone who's seen the show has—I think you can swallow your angst for the time being."

"Absolutely the fuck not."

Patton sighed. "In case you couldn't tell, we stopped at True Colors. I didn't have the heart to let him continue in that state."

"All right, I'll be sure to avoid Logan in the future." Janus turned to Roman and Virgil. "So, how was your Valentine's Day, boys?"

Roman flushed, ducking his head. "We—um—well—"

"We did it," Virgil said matter-of-factly, taking a bite of eggs. "Officially."

There was silence for a couple seconds.

"Oh, congrats," Patton told them before going back to his pancakes.

Logan frowned slightly. "You... you do know what they mean, don't you?"

Patton let out a little laugh. "Lo-Lo, I'm seventeen, and I have gone through multiple classes discussing the human body to help me with my powers. I know what they're talking about."

"All right then." Logan raised an eyebrow at Janus and Remus. "You two don't seem as over the moon as I thought you'd be."

Remus shrugged. "Eh, it's not as exciting the second time."

"You assho—" Virgil started.

"THE SECOND TIME?!" Patton and Logan shouted in unison, causing a couple heads to turn.

Roman rubbed the bridge of his nose. "First time was after the whole Isabelle Incident, so we decided that it didn't count."

"Oh, okay, gotcha, I'll forget about it," Patton said, holding up a hand.

Logan gave them a look that roughly translated to you two are insane. "I... I don't think that's how it works?"

"What do you know?" Remus scoffed. "Your first major crush was ace and so is your boyfriend-slash-future-husband, you're not gonna know how it works."

Patton raised his eyebrows. "First major crush?"

"Oh my gosh, I forgot about your crush on Vanessa!" Roman said cheerfully. "If I'd remembered, I would've totally embarrassed her on her quinceanera with that little factoid instead of reminding everyone of that time she cut her own bangs!"

Logan slammed his hands on the table, cheeks flaming up. "No! No, this is Embarrassing Roman and Virgil time, not Embarrassing Me time! So shut up about Vanessa! I have been over her for half a fucking decade!"

"All of you shut up, this is still a major moment and I am legally obligated to grill Virgil on this," Janus said loudly, waving his hands around. "Assuming this was your plan?"

Virgil nodded. "I masterminded it."

"Right. How did you set the atmosphere?"

"Um..." He scratched the back of his neck. "Fairy lights, because candles are fire hazards... Unbuttoned flannel because those make everything way better and way gayer... I put on 'Everlong' because—"

"Sorry, sorry, wait." Janus leaned in. "You put on what?"

"'Everlong?' Foo Fighters? You've never heard of it?"

Janus's fingernails dug into the table. "I have heard of it. Yes. What I cannot understand is why the everloving fuck would you pick that song."

Virgil gave him a confused look. "Uh... because it's my favorite?"

"Because it's your fave—" Janus let out a frustrated scream. "For fuck's sake, Virgil, you do not play the Foo Fighters when you're seducing someone! You play Nina Simone! Billie Holiday! Any seduction song from any decent Broadway classic!"

"Oh my god." Virgil rubbed his temples. "Jan, not everyone has your taste—"

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR ALTERNATIVE-MUSIC OBSESSED BRAIN?!" Janus shouted as he stood up, loud enough for the entire dining hall to hear. "WHY CAN'T YOU BE HORNY LIKE THE REST OF US, YOU FUCKING EMO NIGHTMARE?"

"Janus Ethan Kapoor—"

"SHAME ON YOU, HAYASHI!" Janus yelled, stabbing a finger at him. "SHAME! MAY YOU BE ENTIRELY TONE-DEAF AND SEXUALLY UNSATISFIED FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!"

He spun around on his heel and stormed out of the dining hall.

Patton gave Janus's retreating form an amused look. "Is this really what allosexuals worry about? The song you play when you're putting your body parts together in weird places?"

"It's really important," Remus confirmed.

"I love being ace." Patton took a sip of orange juice. "Means I have the right to point out how ridiculous y'all sound."

"Could all of you shut up?" Virgil mumbled, head in his hands.

"Ooooooh, I think someone's recording this," Remus said, craning his head and waving. "Yooooo! Get my best side!"

Virgil lifted his head. "Logan, can you do that new trick you—"

"On it," Logan said, making a fist.

A guy a few tables over let out an offended gasp. "DUDE! You broke my phone!"

Roman raised an eyebrow, pointing at him. "Where... where exactly did you learn that?"

"I've been doing some one-on-one training with Remy, and I figured out that my power lends itself to more than just being able to sense code and inner workings of tech," Logan explained. "I can physically change things without hacking involved, and, as you've just seen, one of the things that I can do is mangle computer chips." He took a swig of coffee. "Most Jacobis don't go further than just using their powers to help them out when they're inventing stuff, but Remy apparently met a fourth cousin of mine back in Paris who experimented with her powers more, so he suggested I try."

"Huh." Roman considered this. "Should I do something like that?"

Logan shrugged. "Mm, probably. He also recommends that Aberrations give it a try, since they always bring new powers to the table."

"Hmm, yeah," Patton murmured, flexing his fingers. "I've been wanting to test out some new stuff ever since I saw that Circle agent make weapons out of her blood. Maybe I could do something like that."

Remus grinned, ruffling Patton's hair. "And to think that a year and a half ago you were scared shitless to use your powers for anything other than healing! You've grown into a little badass!"

"I'm more powerful than all of you guys," Patton reminded him. "I had to have become confident at some point."

"And yet you avoid swearing whenever possible," Roman noted.

He spread his hands. "I save it for really drastic situations and drastic situations only. Grandma Jean and my sisters laugh at me for it, but I really don't give a flip."

"Did you seriously just say flip instead of fuck?" Pearl said, sitting down next to him. "Hi, y'all."

Logan looked mildly disturbed as Pam, Quinn, and Persephone all sat down with the crew. "Why are you all here?"

Quinn elbowed their brother. "IRL Prince Gumball and Marshall Lee finally hit third base and you expect us to just sit by and act like nothing happened? Fat chance."

Remus gasped. "Oh my god, that's who you two remind me of! I can't believe it took me this long to realize that!"

"I... I barely know what you're talking about, I've never seen Adventure Time, I'm sorry," Virgil mumbled, waving a hand around.

Persephone's eyebrows hit the stratosphere. "Sorry?"

"You know what? We'll do a binge-watching session of that show for our next date," Roman decided. "You'll like it, I know."

"Watch a few episodes of season 1 for context, then skip ahead to season 3," Pam recommended. "It'll be easier for him to get invested, and you can go back and watch the first couple seasons later."

"I haven't even agreed—" Virgil sighed. "No, you know what, I've been meaning to get into that, why not."

"WHOOP!" Persephone cheered, throwing her hands up into the air.

This prompted Quinn and Pearl to launch into a rendition of what Virgil assumed was the theme song. He took this as a cue to go back into head-in-his-hands land.

A/N: I... I loved writing this. I don't know why.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.3K 607 25
Virgil is a Light Side; he has been for a while. What happens when more Dark Sides start to show up and threaten to reveal more to Virgil than meets...
18.5K 1.2K 23
Virgil and Roman's friendship had been complicated since the beginning, assumptions and prejudice having ruled over their relationship all the way in...
79.1K 4K 55
Virgil's always stayed in the shadows... literally. He was born with the ability to control them. He's mostly used it to make shadow creations when h...
13.2K 822 21
Virgil Storm has grown up in a world where everything is normal, but it's turned upside down when he suddenly develops powers. How will this hormonal...