A Million miles away [Kaoru S...

Por puffinmuffins_

[A Kaoru Sakurayashiki|Cherry Blossom x Gender neutral Reader Fanfiction] You are an university student who m... Mรกs

A Million Miles Away
[2] City Lights

[1] Blooming Waves

241 14 2
Por puffinmuffins_

Rough and raspy sounds of the wheels barreled through the congested airport of Okinawa as you made your way towards the exit. You adjusted your grip on your big luggage and duffle bag on your shoulders as you halted, taking in the fresh air and breathtaking scenery of Okinawa. The air in Okinawa is certainly different from Tokyo's and you felt freshened by that fact. The 2-hour flight from Tokyo wasn't that bad either, you mused. you stared at the bright blue skies, determination overflowing in your body.

'This is the beginning of a good life. Finally, freedom from unwanted attention.' you thought, grimly.

◢✥◣

Growing up, you excelled in all categories of education and sports. Straights A's, Honors, and awards piling up in your room staring at you mockingly. A dream you carried, placed on your shoulders forcefully by your father, to become a doctor like him acted like shackles and tight collars that strangled you every step you took in achieving your passion. You hated it. You hated every single expectation set to you by your father and relatives on your father's side.

Your mother, who is working overseas to achieve her dream in life, is mostly absent beside you growing up. You grew accustomed to nannies and maids fretting over you. You felt like they were more your family than your father and mother could ever be. You thought you could withstand the family's pressure but all walls came crashing down when they decided to get you married for the sake of the family's benefit.

Of course, You firmly rejected the proposal. There's no way you are going to marry someone you don't know and don't love. A loveless marriage like your parents will result in unforeseen disaster. Right there on the spot, you wished you had your mother's freedom. But she had to give you up in order to achieve that freedom.

You decided enough was enough. Storming out, you pulled out and dropped from cram schools they applied you on, and left home. Furious and ashamed of your actions, your family disowned you and never contacted you again. They as well put a quell on supporting your tuition and allowances, thus you started working part-time.

You've been living with your best friend the duration of your 2nd year in college. You changed courses to Arts and Design, even if you have to start from scratch, it is something you love doing thus, it became your motivation, alongside your best friend's support.

In the duration of your stay in this course, you found an opportunity that can benefit you in the long run. Your university is running a work immersion and exchange program to various prefectures in Japan. You were thrilled by the fact you can leave Tokyo to a new life in the remaining years of your studies. You didn't let the opportunity pass. After hours of perfecting your Resume and attending virtual interviews, you got accepted to work under a man named Mr. Sakurayashiki in Okinawa.

"Why do you have to apply for a job so far from Tokyo? How will you manage your living expenses?" Yasu, your best friend asked. You hummed, double checking your luggage. "The farther from home, the better." You stated and Yasu hummed in understanding. Grinning, she smacked you lightly.

"Go, live the life you wanted. You're finally free." You grinned, mirth crinkling in your eyes. "Thank you, Yasu! I'll keep contact, I promise!" You held your best friend in a headlock, live chortles brightening up the room.

◢✥◣

Exhaling your worries away, you made your way towards your apartment. You have a big day tomorrow, finally meeting Mr. Sakurayashiki. You will be working as Mr. Sakurayashiki's secretary while getting yourself familiar with Calligraphy and design in Sakurayashiki studio.

Grabbing groceries along the way, you reached the place where you will be staying for the duration of the work immersion program. It was a decent place and you were glad you were able to save money before you left your family for good. Settling down, you cleaned up and collapsed on bed. You need your beauty sleep before your big day tomorrow. You wondered what kind of man Mr. Sakurayashiki is before descending into a dreamless sleep.

◢✥◣

The sun peeked through the window as your alarm started blasting off brassy sounds. Groaning, you slammed it close, sitting up and stretched. You took your sweet time in the bath, noticing you woke up a bit too early. Taking out your well ironed blouse, you carefully dressed up for the day. You tried not to be too overly dressed as you wanted to remain professional and leave a good impression to your boss.

You frowned as you watched yourself through the mirror. This is the first time you will be pulling up your long hair into a perfect bun, using the hair ornament your grand mother gave you in your coming-of-age ceremony years ago. It feels weird but you have to leave a good impression above all.

Grabbing your purse and envelopes containing your requirements for the interview with the Sakurayashiki Calligraphy, you made your way out to eat breakfast. You felt particularly lazy to cook anything for yourself and you don't want your outfit to be soiled. You looked around Okinawa and felt refreshed. It's more peaceful and relaxing than the smothering, bustling streets of Tokyo. It's a good change of nature and an amazing experience for an intern like you.

After walking couple of blocks away from your street, you reached a seemingly Italian restaurant. You hummed as you watched a man flip the 'Closed' sign to 'Open' as he walked back to his turf. "Well, it's relatively early." You mumbled, making your way down the street, suddenly craving for something light.

You feel too nervous to eat something heavy before you meeting with your boss, so you rather avoid an incident and leave a bad impression. You decided to treat yourself something in the nearby convenience store.

◢✥◣

You let your eyes scan the documents in hand as you sit on one of the chairs inside the waiting room. Sakurayashiki Calligraphy is a Traditional Japanese like building and one of the requirements of the company is to wear Kimono as they follow certain traditions and protocols while working. You have absolutely no complains about that. You had been trained to traditional Japanese customs due to your upbringing.

Under your name is the position you had applied to. Sakurayashiki Kaoru's personal assistant. It's seldom for people to take graduating university students under their wing- especially for a personal assistant. But lo and behold, you fit one of the company's requirements and thus- we went along with your decision.

You feel like this opportunity will help you explore various art related careers and find valuable, technical skills along the way, as you work with under Sakurayashiki-sama. You heard a lot of good things about this man and you are hoping he would be amazing to work with. You believe that you have a long way to go and this is a great opportunity to start your career- for you are still uncertain what to purse under Arts and Design.

As you wait- you take a look around the establishment on your seat. It's neat and actually very simple- aside from seemingly luxurious designs along the hall and the rooms- but still, they managed to preserve the traditional Japanese interior. You took note of the garden far behind the end of the hall on your right where it connects to the other building- larger building.

"Maybe that building is where Sakurayashiki-sama resides." You hummed, fiddling with the envelopes on your hands. After some time waiting, your head perked up as you hear footsteps coming to your head. You instantly rise, acknowledging the person in front of you. It's a woman in her mid forties. wearing a green, flowery kimono. Her sweet and kind smile put your nerves at ease.

"Hello! You must be [Y/N] [L/N]! I'm Delighted to make your acquaintance." She stated, bowing down. You bowed deeply and returned her smile. "Yes, I am delighted to make your acquaintance as well. Her smiled didn't wavered a bit.

"Sakurayashiki-sama will be with you shortly. We had attended candidates and Sakurayashiki-sama has to take an urgent call. Would you be okay waiting for a few moments before your meeting or are you in a hurry?" She inquired. You smiled considerately and shook your head.

"I do not mind waiting for Sakurayashiki-sama." you assured, her smile widened. "Perfect! You will be called in a moment. For now, do you want some refreshment? What's your cup of tea?" She asked.

"Tea would be great." You stated as you watch the lady bow and make her way behind the door located across the reception area. Your eyes made its way back to your portfolio, practicing and reviewing as you felt anxiety creep up to your nerves. This is the first time you will be doing an actual interview. Mock interviews and test won't cut the real experience.

So apparently, you feel like you will mess up. But the smile the lady gives you as she hand you over a steaming, hot tea makes your body radiate in warmth. The tea did an amazing job calming your nerves. The lady smiled knowingly and you smiled back in gratitude. It seems that she had encountered a lot of freshies like you- she's an expert. You mused.

The tea is halfway finished when a robotic voice echoed around the peaceful hallways of the establishment, jolting you out of your zone. "Sakurayashiki-sama is ready for the next candidate."

"Thank you Carla, we will be there shortly." The lady stated and hurried in front of you with a calming smile. "It's time. Thank you for your patience. Sakurayashiki-sama is ready to see you now." This sentence made your nerves frozen cold and stiff. The woman heartily laughed and placed a hand on your back.

"No need to be scared. Sakurayashiki-sama is a gentle man. You will be alright." She reassured and gestured on the door at the end of the hallway with a smile. You bowed down and flashed her a grateful smile before walking down the aisle.

You took a deep breath and strengthen your resolve as you are nearing the entrance of the interview hall. "You can do this, [Y/N]! Just like how you practiced it!" You made a small cheer before slapping your cheeks. Your hand clutched the Hinoki wooded door before sliding it open. The sight greeted you is vast.

The room looks minimalistic and extravagant. Although the building looks traditional, the office looks a little bit modernized. The wooden walls brimmed in the colors of US Cherry and the floor is a pacific maple, contrasting the dark color of the walls. The room is indeed vast. There is a specific place in the room where Sakurayashiki-sama does his calligraphy work.

There are also multiple shelves and storage areas around the room that are filled with books, scrolls, documents and ornaments. Across the Mahogany Table, stood a shelf showcasing Sakurayashiki's achievements and picture frames. But what caught your attention is the man sitting on the wooden, Mahogany table with a scroll on hand.

Your breath was taken away how beautifully handsome the man is. With his pink hair and slender but poise figure as he was sitting down and focused on his work. You stood there like a deer caught in the headlights. He must have felt your presence as he looked up. He might not have heard your entrance.

He immediately put his scroll away and stood up, acknowledging your presence in his office. You took this cue to walk deeply inside the room- in front of Sakurayashiki-sama. You bowed.

"[Y/N] [Y/N], It's a pleasure to meet you." He stated, smiling down on you as he held out his hand for you to shake. You smiled back, effortlessly hiding your stony, ice cold nerves as you took his hand and firmly shook it. "It's a pleasure to meet you too, Sakurayashiki-sama." You swallowed, hoping that your voice didn't crack or sounded to unconfident.

You felt conscious of yourself as his eyes scanned over you. You finally took notice of his piercing, striking golden eyes and face. You felt your face go warm. Your potential new boss looks so handsome- this will only make working under him harder. You feel like you will be walking on eggshells your entire time here. But you shook away your thoughts and strengthened your confidence.

"Please take a seat, anywhere you like." He stated and you made yourself comfortable on the chair, adjusting your skirt and the documents on your hand. He made a gesture towards your resume and you gave it to him. "Thank you for your time today, [L/N]. I apologize for the delay, I had an urgent situation needed to attend to." He stated, his golden eyes steering back to you.

"It is no problem." You assured with a smile and he pleasantly smiled back. 'Cute.' you thought, feeling kinda calm after the small talk. "What is your résumé profile?" You opened your mouth to talk but a familiar robotic voice beat it to you instead. "[Y/N] [L/N]. Age Twenty-one, Nationality, Japanese. Graduating university student under Arts and Design from Tokyo University." Your eyes widened as he smiled, clearly satisfied and proud.

"Thank you Carla." He stated and you sweatdropped. He speaks like as if Carla is his girlfriends and you area curious how come he needs an assistant if he has something so intelligent and convenient like Carla? And you just gave him your documents...

You smiled when he actually took a look of the documents you presented on him with curiosity and smile on his face. "I can see that you are from Tokyo. What made you apply in Okinawa branch? There are various of companies that are part of the program." He asks.

"I believe that having a fresh start in a new place would be a great opportunity for me to grow, not only in my career but as a person. I believe that working under an unfamiliar place will broaden my experience. I have visited Okinawa numerous of times and I admit I fell in love with the island and its people. Therefore, I have decided to settle down here the entirety of my student immersion program." You stated breathlessly and ended it with a smile. It is like what you practiced but its brimming with sincerity and you feel happy to talk about it.

Sakurayashiki-san certainly looks happy and satisfied of your answer and you felt your confidence rise up. You're not messing up, everything is going smoothly. You remembered and crave for the warm of the lady's tea.

"Indeed, the island is really beautiful and I do too, take my own time exploring the island with all its glory. I'm glad you are enjoying here. There are more to see." He stated, earning a enthusiastic nod from you. He gave you a close eyed smile before skimming down deeper at your résumé.

"What do you do at the university?" He asked, you are sure you already included it in your résumé but you still answered his question with confidence. "I am currently taking Arts and Design degree. I study different visual media like painting, drawing, sculpture, and graphic design. I am very fluent with editing software. I am quite unsure what specific career I want to focus on but I do hope I will know what to pursue by the end of the program." You stated, feeling your confidence slip away as he hummed. His piercing golden eyes glanced at your stiff form. You feel a little bit pressured under his gaze.

"There are candidates that came before you, who already has experience on the field. What makes you more qualified in this position, knowing that you have no experience under the field?" He asked and folded his arms. He is watching you very intently now and the carefree aura is nowhere to be found.

You inhaled and steeled your nerves. This is part of the interview, so don't let yourself be shaken by anything else. You straightened and gazed intently and enthusiastically back to Sakurayashiki-san, as you made your resolve clear.

"I do not have any practical experience in the field but I am a team player and I work well with other people. I have a strong work ethic and I am very enthusiastic about the company and the job, as it is related to my career. I focus on any opportunity given to me and do my best to deliver and exceed your expectations. I am also adaptable to changing work conditions and I intend to grow with the company." You paused, taking a small breath. You swore your voiced cracked along the way, observing how strained your voice started but you shook of your stupor and smile confidently.

Sakurayashiki-san blinked and smiled. Seeing his smile, made your soul finally leave its body. You were so scared you almost fucked up but seeing his smile, you assumed you answered it well. "Well, someone who is very passionate and creative like you is someone we are looking for in this position. Regardless the person has experience or not, because like what you had stated, learning never cease." He chuckled. You smiled in response.

You decided to initiate the next conversation, after a long pause. You gestured on the Clear book as he opened it, revealing some of your sketches and pictures of the sculptures you had created in your time in the university. Some are your personal projects and some are requirements. You never felt confident joining tournaments but you had tried.

"My project rangeed from Sculptures, sketches, digital art and painting. I seldom do Sculpturing for I sketch and paint most of the time. Majority of projects involves painting and Traditional art. I, as well do calligraphy. I was part of the Calligraphy studio when I was in my first year and second year in the university." You stated as he observed the picture of your biggest and most confident piece with a smile on his face.

You cried silent tears and internally fist bumped. You felt scared presenting your Calligraphy history but it is related to the field you will be taking in the school work immersion program so you had to include it in. Now, you feel like your existence is validated as he seemingly approved of your trash skills. You expected that he would looked disappointed but that expressions that screams 'Not bad' made you cry tears of joy.

"Your projects are amazing and the originality of each piece is stunning. The execution as well. What is your favorite piece?" He asked before pausing on a particular painting you created. A piece that you hold dear in your heart. You let a smile decorate your face.

"It would be that piece, Sakurayashiki-sama." You stated, gesturing on the painting you did of you amidst of the crowd in a festival night, wearing a purple lilac kimono and Kitsune mask. It was the day you last saw your best friend Yasu before you board the flight to Okinawa. Yasu is your childhood friend and your best friend. A sister you never had. And she helped you a lot of times when you were at the brink of falling apart and this is day, is the day she had helped you strengthen your resolve. That day, she made you feel alive- more alive for the first time in years. Free.

"It will sound a little bit narcissistic but my best friend took the picture and I had decided to paint it. It is significant to me because it was the day I finally found the path I want to walk into- finally had the freedom to be me and to do things for myself. It made me feel alive and my best friend Yasu helped me through hard times. I also love the ambiance of the festive night..." You paused for a moment, feeling like you are oversharing a little before flashing a gentle smile.

Sakurayashiki-san's smile never left his face as he examines your portrait. "You indeed look happy and free. And beautiful too." He commented, leaving you flustered red. You felt dizzy as he scans throughout the entire clear book, your mind blank as you sit there. You shook your head and pouted. 'Stop overthinking [Y/N]. He is just complimenting your piece. Do not be rattled.' You thought.

What you felt like are hours, Sakurayashiki-san asked you couple of questions regarding your skills and your values in the field. He also gave you a brief overview of what you will be doing as his personal assistant. Of course, after some time, you grew comfortable and confident, you managed to answer each of the questions perfectly.

"If you were hired for this position, when is it that you can start working with us?" He asked. Your eyes flickered on the side as you noticed a purple light activating near him. It must be Carla, you mused. "I can start right away." You replied with a smile.

"I believe that is everything from me. Is there any clarifications or any inquiries you would like to make before we end this session?" He asked, you paused looking down at your notes. He had explained everything you need to do that includes managing diaries, organizing meetings and appointments, organizing events and conferences or accompanying him to work. You feel like you are already fully-informed of what's in the store for you.

"No, not at all. Everything is clear." You stated. He smiled and both of you simultaneously stood up. "Perfect. Thank you again for your time today and patience. I will have someone to contact you as soon as possible if you are successful. For the time being, have a time for yourself as you fully familiarize yourself in Okinawa." He smiled, extending his courtesy for the last time as you returned the gesture, full in gratitude.

"Thank you so much for the opportunity, Sakurayashiki-sama. I will look forward to the call and what awaits in me in Okinawa." You stated and bowed. You made out of the room and bowed one last time and slid the door close. Soon, you hear Carla's voice vibrate within the halls. "Sakurayashiki-sama is ready for the next candidate."

You pass by a man who made his way towards Sakurayashiki-san's office. You paid no attention to him as you let relaxation engulf your being after such pressuring moment. Before you exited the building, you eyes met the woman from before. She gazes at you with an encouraging smile and waved. You smiled back and bowed, you let your feet take you on your way home.

◢✥◣

You yawned as you paused by the Italian Restaurant you had seen early in the morning. It is bustling of people but since it's close to sun down, it's slowly becoming empty. You adjusted your grip on the box you were holding as you continued walking down the path to your home. You had bought yourself a cake to reward yourself. You believed that you did a great job today and you deserve to reward your little sweet tooth as well.

You passed by a group of people of their skateboards. The two are bickering while the other one was in daze. You smiled at the sight before your eyes dimmed. You missed skating, but now you couldn't skate.

You wouldn't be able to skate anymore. There's no way you can.

You let your head dip, as you hurried home, suddenly feeling bummed out.

✍(✿◠‿◠) Cherry's corner:

Good day, Lovelies! I finally published he first chapter! What do you think? I actually wrote a longer chapter 1 but I had decided to keep it short and convenient with everyone. I don't think I did the interview part properly but I based it on real life experience so bare with me! Please do tell me your thoughts in the comments! Update time and schedule is inconsistent so please bear with me, I will try to give justice for our wonderful boys in Sk8! When I am not overwhelmed by work, I can speed up the updates! I hope you will enjoy your stay! And stay tuned for more updates in the future!

Do check out my other Sk8: The Infinity Fanfiction called "Take Flight" ! Take care of yourself and you are amazing! Then, see you next time!

Cherry signing out✌

Seguir leyendo

Tambiรฉn te gustarรกn

1.1M 47.5K 94
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
125K 4.6K 86
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
216K 9K 60
๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—–๐—› noura denoire is the first female f1 driver in ๐——๐—˜๐—–๐—”๐——๐—˜๐—ฆ OR ๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—–๐—› noura denoire and charle...
924K 35K 83
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...