1939..

By amarose

More

1939..

80 0 0
By amarose

1939

Chapter 1

I have always been of the belief that everyone writes a story in their head, and that story will eventually become their life. Some allow others to write it for them and some choose to take their own lives in their own hands.

My life has not been simple; my routes have not been smooth. However, I’m glad now that when I reflect back on my life I have no “What if’s” I only have “Oh well’s”, my regrets are of large amounts, but my achievements will always over shadow them. I have lived my life to the full, I have loved with all my heart and I couldn’t ask for more.

My name is Annie Parks; I am an old woman now, seventy five to be exact. But in my younger years I had felt what I expected only to be in the movies; real love; kindness and passion. Let me take you back to those innocent times when all I knew was about to disintegrate before my eyes and change my life forever. I was just twelve years old when world war two broke out on the first of September 1939….

* * *

London was a dangerous place during this dark time. Streets were covered in ruins from buildings and houses, as far as the eye could see.  Almost everything in the world as I knew it was either destroyed or falling apart, ready to crumble at any moment. The streets were now a terrifying place. The air was dense and filled with thick smoke from fires, making it difficult to breathe. Air raid sirens blared constantly.  Bombs landed and exploded regularly, destroying everything they touched. This left devastated lives and death to the more unlucky, or maybe in this case death was the lucky way out.

Often, I would find myself running to the bottom of our garden with my mother at two am, escaping from our house when the bombs were going off like fireworks, to the safety of our Anderson Shelter. Mother would always tell me everything was going to be alright, but was it really? The bombs were never ending it seemed.  I would sit huddled against mother hoping that the loud noises, the smells, the deaths would stop. They never did. The war planes continued to soar over Central London.  

Would I ever get to see my friends again? Would I ever get to see my father again? I would ask myself these questions rhetorically. My father- Victor Parks was out fighting in the war. He was a brave man and I knew he would live through this disaster, but just in case he needed a little assistance, I would pray for him, once, twice a day. I would ask God to look after him and to comfort him when he needed it the most, which was all I could do for him.

                                                             * * *

It was the third of September 1939. I was lying in bed as my mother rushed into my bedroom, fully clothed in a crimson red dress which buttoned at the front; her blond hair was tied back into a neat bun. We both looked very similar we had been told, what with the green- blue eyes and blond hair- naturally curly, only mine was slightly lighter than mother’s, both with creamy, honey toned skin and freckles on our noses, I always loved the idea of looking like my mother, I looked up to her and hoped I would follow in her footsteps throughout life.

Why was she dressed so early? I wondered. “Come on Annie, you need to get up. Pack your things into your case as quickly as you can and get changed.”

I knew this had to be something important and so wasted no time in rolling around my bed and moping. I flung the blankets off of my warm, cozy body and swung my legs around, attempting to stand up. I looked at my alarm clock; it was six am, how queer to be rushing around at this time.

Remembering I had to get ready quickly, I struck myself into gear and began raking through my closet swiftly, folding all of my clothes neatly into my suit-case, I picked out an outfit for the day- my favorite dress. It was a tan brown color with a beige collar and gold buttons down the front; it went down to around my knees and had a slight frill at the bottom, it was pretty and made me feel very feminine when I wore it. I pulled on some white stockings before changing into the dress and stared at myself in the mirror critically. My hair was wild. It lay ruffled and frizzy and hung down past my shoulders; I pulled a comb through it to neaten it up and twisted my fringe to the side and held it in place with a small gold hair clip.

Well at least I look half decent, I had thought.  With that I continued to pack my suit case with belongings. I included my books, my father’s trinket box, my stuffed bear, my diary, a few pictures and other bits and bobs I felt mattered, before closing the case. I turned to look at my neat bedroom. For some reason I had a horrible feeling that this was the last time I would see my room, as if I were going somewhere for a long time, I tried to push the thought to the back of my mind and headed out of my room, closing the door behind me. I traipsed downstairs, my case bobbing down each step behind me and went into the kitchen where my mother sat quietly. She wasn’t doing anything. She just sat there, staring into nothingness as if her mind was in another place, she looked worried. What was going on?

“Annie, sit down. Would you like a cup of tea? I was about to put a pot on,” Mother asked.

“Yes, okay. Where are we going?” I asked curiously as I placed my case by the door and sat at our round oak table.

“Not we, I’m sorry to say. You’re going on your own. You have to be evacuated out of the city, it is too dangerous here.” She said turning around to put the pot of tea on the stove.

“But where am I going to go? And where are you going to go?” I said all at once.

“You are going to Scotland, a place called Calvern; apparently the countryside is beautiful there and it’s safe. I have your train ticket, the train leaves at eight sharp. I am going to stay here,”

“What if you get hurt? I will be a thousand miles away. I don’t want to leave. I’m staying here,” I replied stubbornly.

“Annie, it’s not a thousand miles away, you’re over exaggerating, and you are not staying here, you will get that train at eight o’clock. I will still be here when you return so don’t you worry about me.” She said firmly.

She placed my cup of tea on the table next to me and sat opposite with a cup of her own.  We now sat silently; I stared into space, just like my mother. I imagined what life would be like without her, it didn’t look nice. All my life wherever my footprint was, my mother’s was right next to it, I had never been without her, how would I cope?

It was now seven- twenty am. I finished my tea and put my cup into the sink, looking out of the front window. I was used to seeing our little healthy, green lawn with all colored flowers planted around the edge, it was beautiful and it was always admired by those who passed it, now, the healthy green grass was dirty and grey and the flowers were all dead. It was no longer a pretty sight, but one of fear and depression.

“We had better head for the train station now; it will be pretty crowded, have you got everything ready?” Mother asked.

I only nodded in reply. This felt like a bad dream and I was hoping I would soon wake up; however after several attempts of pinching myself, I found I was very much awake.

I reluctantly picked up my case and headed out the door behind my mother. As she turned and locked the door I stared at our once delightful cream house, now it stood dull and grey. The windows were covered in ash and the building itself looked permanently dyed to a horrible smoky color.

I allowed mother to lead the way to the train station and I followed like a lamb behind her, it was only around a ten minute walk from our house. The streets were full of rubble and ash; it was not a pleasant walk, homeless people roamed around looking for memories, for their families and for their lives which seemed to be buried so deep within the rubble I wondered if they would ever find them again, I hoped they did. I thanked God then for my parents.

As we grew nearer to the train station, the volume of noise continually increased the distant voices becoming more understandable. The station was full to the brim with parents and children. It was the busiest I had ever seen it.

“Hold my hand, I don’t want you to get lost in this crowd,” my mother spoke softly. I did so. I didn’t particularly want to get lost either. “Okay, the train leaves in ten minutes, here is your ticket, hold onto that tight and don’t lose it. Please be good for your guardians, for me, for daddy. Remember your manners. I love you and will miss you loads,” my mother flung her arms around me.

“I love you too,” I whispered, hugging my mother for the last time.

“Now on you go, it’s carriage number four right over there,” She pointed, her eyes welling with tears. “Get yourself a good seat,”

“I will, bye,” I tried to smile.

“Goodbye,” She said, kissing my cheek. I turned to step onto carriage number four, most of the children were on board now, I walked passed them, making no eye contact with anyone as I did, and headed straight for the seat at the very end of the carriage. I dropped down my case onto the floor beside my feet and made myself comfortable; it was going to be a long journey.

The steam from underneath the train floated up past the windows and then the train began to shuffle forwards. I pressed my face against the window, in search for mother, but could not see her within the large crowd. She was gone and I was now on my own.

I sat back my chair, disappointed and feeling depressed. I watched as the train station went by and then disappeared. I felt alone, my thoughts burled their way around my head at two hundred miles per hour.   What if my guardians didn’t like me? What if they were very strict? What kind of home was I going to? These questions had no answers. My eyes began to feel heavy, then suddenly my loud thoughts died down to just whispers, the light dimmed and all went black…

Chapter 2

I blinked my eyes open what seemed like a second later and took a minute to take in my surroundings before looking out of the train window. The scenery had changed completely, going from a dull, sad city to a healthy, green and bright piece of countryside. The hills seemed to roll back forever in the distance, each a different color due to the many wild plants and there were fields everywhere, all bright green either containing horses, cattle or crops. I was amazed by the scenery, it looked like it would be somewhere created only for movies, but yet it actually existed in the real world; to me this was a pretty magnificent discovery. 

As we approached the train station I noticed it was much more pleasing to the eye than the one in London, there was a large sign which, in gold letters, said-‘Welcome to Calvern’. There was a selection of beautifully colored flowers sitting in front of it, each a different variety. The sun glistened like a star in the healthy blue sky; it was a scene I hadn’t ever experienced in my life.

The train pulled to a stop and I watched as the other children evacuated. Once they had, a tall man glided over towards me. He wore a navy suit with gold buttons; his hair was short, almost white, he had a wiry moustache and his face was pink in color.

 “Come on, it’s time to go. Your guardians will be here to collect you soon,” He said softly.  I nodded in reply and followed the man off of the train and out onto the platform. I wondered who he was. I took an educated guess and eventually came to the conclusion that he was the man who collected the tickets, I vaguely remembered giving a man my ticket when I first got on the train, however I had felt very tired and so couldn’t remember accurately.

As I stepped out the Scottish country air hit my nostrils immediately, the place smelt fresh and healthy, there were no toxic fumes, dirt, dust or smoke in the air, it was so clean, I was refreshed within the first minute of being there.

“Now you go and stand right over there with the other children until your guardian arrives to pick you up,” the man in the suit said, pointing over to a crowded wooden bench beside the Calvern sign. I decided to avoid the other children who were fighting over the bench and went to stand alone at the other side.

* * *

You could say I wasn’t a very ‘people person’. I never knew how to hold a conversation without the awkwardness, I never knew how to start one either, and sometimes I felt that no one truly understood me for the way I was, quiet, timid, reclusive. I have never changed; no one does, not really. Deep down a person may lie; some just manage to patch up who they really are. Not me. I wasn’t afraid to be myself, no matter what people thought of me, I wasn’t afraid to stand alone, I was used to it. I did slowly gain confidence as my years went by, but I will never be as outgoing as some of the people I have met throughout my life.

                                    * * *

I watched intently as the other children got taken away to their new temporary homes. Sometimes they went in two’s, others they went alone and I hoped each one went to a good family. It was strange to think that I knew exactly how every one of those children felt; I felt the same way of course. Worried, scared, depressed, and lost all at once. It was the worst feeling. Their faces as they reluctantly followed their guardians just sent a chill down my spine, the look of terror in their eyes was overwhelming. I tried to keep myself calm, maybe I was just allowing myself to overthink everything, and maybe I would get assigned to a nice family, all I could do was hope and pray.

Half an hour later, all the other children were taken to their new homes and I was the only child left, it made me worry even more. Then, suddenly I heard a faint sound of hooves clattering against the ground, it grew louder and louder and then the source of the noise appeared. Around the corner came a huge grey horse pulling a carriage.

“Whoa there Flint,” I heard a woman’s voice say as the horse pulled up to a halt right in front of me. I stared up, not knowing what to say as usual.

“Hello there,” the woman said with a very strong Scottish accent as she climbed down out of the carriage. As she walked toward me I got a better idea of what she looked like. Her hair was mousy brown in color and was tied back into a neat bun, she wore a long navy dress with a black coat over the top, and her hazel eyes glistened excitedly, they stood out from her very fair skin.

“Hello,” I said rather shyly.

“Are you Annie Parks?”

“Yes, ma’am,”

“Oh, good! I’m so sorry I’m late, I lost track of time. I hope you haven’t been waiting too long.” She smiled. “I’d better introduce myself I suppose, I’m your new guardian, Lady Lucy Ardle but you may call me just Lady Lucy.”

I smiled in reply, she was very pretty, not what I had expected at all.

“Here, let me take your case, I’ll put it in the back,” she said, lightly taking it from me. “How old are you Annie?” she asked, placing my case into the back of the carriage and then climbing in herself.

“I’m twelve Lady Lucy,”

“Well that’s just perfect! You will fit right in with the other children. Come on, get in,” Lady Lucy said, smiling again. She seemed a very polite and happy woman.

“Other children? What other children?” I asked curiously, as I pulled myself onto the carriage and sat next to her.

“My husband- Sir Ian Ardle and I have the largest house in Calvern you see, it has six bedrooms and a stable around the back and so we have space to take in more than one evacuee. There are three others like you; they arrived only yesterday, all from Manchester. You are from London correct?”

I nodded, and then asked “What are their names?”

“There is Ruth Carling, Jack Smith and Nicholas Meikle.  Ruth and Jack are twelve like you, and Nicholas is thirteen.  Come on flint,” She urged the big grey horse up the hill. On either side of the small dirt track we travelled along there were fields, all surprisingly neat and healthy, some little houses were dotted here and there but there was far more land than houses. Calvern was beautiful; I hadn’t ever seen anything quite as pretty.

“I like your horse, he is very pretty,” I commented.

“Yes, yes he is. Do you like horses?”

“Yes, I’ve always wanted one but never could because I live in Central London,” I explained.

“Well, I have a stable full of them. My husband and I own fifteen horses, if you like you can help me look after them, I can always use a helping hand with feeding and grooming them, and if you work hard I’ll give you Brumby to ride whenever you like, he can be yours while you are staying with me,” she winked.

“Really?” I squealed excitedly. “What is Brumby like?”

“He is an Anglo Arab, but he is very timid, like you, and lovely towards everyone, he is a real sweetie. You will be able to see him very soon, look,” Lady Lucy pointed to a large house at the top of the dirt track. It was a huge white house, with a black roof and it had a porch at the front. There was a stable at the side, also painted white, and many a fields in the surrounding area, each accommodating around five horses.

“Wow,” I whispered.

“Yes, it is pretty big.” Lady Lucy said pulling up Flint in front of the house. Just then, the solid oak door opened and out came a tall, thin man. He wore a red and green checked shirt, faded blue denim trousers and a pair of green wellington boots, his hair was mousy brown in color, like Lady Lucy’s but his eyes a very pale blue.

“Hello darling,” He called as he walked towards Flint. He helped Lady Lucy down from the carriage and the lifted me down lightly also.

“So you must be little Annie Parks then,” He smiled.

“Yes sir,” I said.

“Well it is lovely to meet you, I am Sir Ian,” He said shaking my hand with a firm grip. “I’ll take care of Flint Lucy, you go on in and show the child to her room and let her meet the others,” he continued turning to face Lady Lucy.

“Okay, thank you, you are a star,” She said kissing him lightly on the cheek before lifting my case out of the carriage and ushering me toward the house.

She then opened the oak door and led me into a large hallway.

“Give me your jacket and I will hang it up on a peg,” Lady Lucy offered. I shrugged it off absentmindedly and looked around the house. There was a wooden staircase to the right which wound up to the floor above, straight ahead I could see what looked like a kitchen and on the left there was a large sitting room and a few other rooms with closed doors. Everywhere looked very neat and clean.

“I’ll take you up to where your room will be,” and with that, Lady Lucy led me up the stairs and down a hallway. We passed three other rooms on the way and eventually reached a room at the end of the hall.

Continue Reading