The Ghost of Ontario (Part 1)...

By CroodsGirl

|3X FEATURED| Fifteen-year-old Kylie Juniper is not excited about attending a week-long canoe trip with her... More

Author's Note/Onwards to Canada!
Wattpad Accolades/Review
Before We Begin... Hit it, Ihaan!
Prologue/Kylie Juniper
Chapter 1: Scooby Doo and Canoeing, Too
Chapter 2: "Who's ready to canoe?"
Chapter 3: Uncle Bart's Gift
Chapter 4: Goodbye, North Tonawanda
Chapter 5: The Border
Chapter 6: To Finlayson!
Chapter 7: The Shadow Behind the Dumpster
Chapter 8: A Missing Child?
Chapter 9: Voices, Flowers, and Eagles
Chapter 10: "No, I'm sorry. Kylie's not in right now."
Chapter 11: Uncle Harrison's Big Find
Chapter 12: The Scream in the Forest
Chapter 13: The Ghost of Ontario
Chapter 14: Kylie's Fear
Chapter 15: Moose Tracks
Chapter 17: The Puzzle of Misery
Chapter 18: Forbidden Fun
Chapter 19: The Boy in the Woods
Chapter 20: Collision
Chapter 21: Red Squirrel Lake
Chapter 22: The Light in the Fog
Chapter 23: Campsite of the Dead
Chapter 24: The Bear That Turned Into A Boy
Chapter 25: Ihaan the Hermit
Chapter 26: Ontario's Star Canopy
Chapter 27: "Lucilla"
Chapter 28: Dreams and Gifts
Chapter 29: When Breakfast Turns to Discovery
Chapter 30: "Lucilla" or No "Silla"?
Chapter 31: Kronin
Chapter 32: Ro and Kylie
Chapter 33: Camp Wanapitei
Chapter 34: Wrath of the Ghost
Chapter 35: Lost Memories
Chapter 36: Arrow of Fear
Chapter 37: Spirit Animals
Chapter 38: Ihaan and Camp Juniper
Chapter 39: Grief for the Bird
Chapter 40: The Tale of Aluki
All Hail the Ghost (The Ghost of Ontario Soundtrack)!

Chapter 16: Ranger Kate's Secret

51 3 0
By CroodsGirl

        I didn't know this, but did you know that Ranger Kate has a fear of canoes? You didn't? Of course. I am the one telling you the story. You guys weren't there. Well, Ranger Kate does fear canoes, and I learned this when we went to the ranger station to check out. If this wasn't an important part in this story, then I wouldn't be talking about this, but it is. Audience, look. Look for clues because I can guarantee you that you're going to find one in this part of my story.

        As I mentioned before, before we could even leave Finlayson Point Provincial Park, we had to stop and check out at the ranger station. We parked in the exact places that we parked the day before, and this time, together, Camp Juniper climbed out of our cars and met up with each other. Uncle Clement, Uncle Harrison, and Uncle Macon all had to use the restroom soon after we arrived. They made us, Aunt Delia, Aunt Lydia, Uncle Bart, Aunt Jessie, Dad, Mom, and me in charge of checking out.

Soon after they took off, the rest of Camp Juniper's members together glanced at the station, and guess who we saw climbing the stairs who seemingly appeared from out of nowhere? That's right, Ranger Kate. I assumed she had just made it to work.

Aunt Jessie soon jumped up and down, and she waved at her, calling, "Ranger Kate, hi!"

She heard her. She stopped halfway up the stairs and slowly turned to us. Oh, my gosh, she was so beautiful. I think it was her eyes.

She nodded and depressingly said, "Good morning, Camp Juniper," to us, "Are you checking out?"

Dad nodded, "We are, ma'am," and he stepped in front of us, "Today is our first day of canoeing in the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park."

"Really?" Ranger Kate asked, "Well, um..." She cleared her throat, and her eyes landed on the Excursion, "you really don't think you can canoe without canoes, right?" Huh? What did she mean by that? Don't worry, I was confused at first too.

        Dad soon asked Ranger Kate, "What do you mean?"

To answer him, Ranger Kate slowly lifted her hand and pointed at the Excursion's roof.

Camp Juniper turned, and we gasped at what we saw. Both of the canoes on the Excursion, Old Town #1 and Old Town #2's ropes came undone, and both of them were slowly starting to slip off the roof of it!

Dad gasped, "Oh gee!" and he hurried to Old Town #1, catching it before it could hit the ground. However, he had trouble getting it back on the roof. Also, Old Town #2 was slipping even more now. Dad soon asked for Ranger Kate's help because one: he couldn't deal with two canoes at once, two, because he didn't have the muscles of Camp Juniper, and three, because she was a ranger. Glancing at her, he politely asked, "Ranger Kate, do you think you can help me with this please?"

The rest of Camp Juniper's eyes landed on Ranger Kate.

She pointed at herself and asked, "Me?" in a sudden, frightened voice. Strange, why did she seem frightened by this request?

Struggling Dad nodded and asked, "Please?"

Ranger Kate started to sweat. She shook her head and backed up.

A mosquito whined by my ear, but I slapped it away.

"No." Ranger Kate soon told us, and she wrapped her arms around her body, "I can't, Mr. Juniper. I can't."

"Why not?" Dad breathlessly asked her, and he heaved the canoe he had up, "Please, Ranger Kate. I can't do this by myself."

The remaining members of Camp Juniper glanced at Ranger Kate again.

She finally said, "Fine!" in a fearful tone, and climbing down the stairs, she started to approach us. I glanced at the ranger station, and I saw that the door had opened. Ranger Amelia appeared in the doorframe, and she watched us.

"Ranger Amelia." I softly spoke. I turned and glanced at Ranger Kate next.

She had approached the Excursion, and she frightfully reached for Old Town #2.

I gasped and watched her carefully.

When Ranger Kate's hand was an inch away from Old Town #2, she shook her head and backed out. "No!" she yelled, and she clutched either side of her head, "I-I can't do it, Camp Juniper!" She peered back at us, "I-I'm sorry," and took a step back.

"But why not?" I asked her, "Please, Ranger Kate, it's just a canoe."

"I-I can't!" she yelped, and she backed into Uncle Bart, "You don't understand, young Kylie, I have very bad memories of canoes! I don't want to have to do anything with them!" Here, she lifted her hand and clutched her upper, left arm. I watched this. What did she mean by, "I have very bad memories of canoes?"

Just before I could ask her, Ranger Amelia suddenly appeared from out of nowhere, and she said, "I apologize, Mr. Juniper." She grabbed Old Town #2 instead, and she and Dad worked together to get both canoes back on the Excursion's top and tie them down.

When they made sure the ropes were extra tight this time, Dad glanced at Ranger Amelia and said, "Thank you, Ranger Amelia."

She nodded, "Come," and gestured at the station, "I can get you checked out."

"Thank you," said Dad, "Come on, Camp Juniper."

Right after he said that, Uncle Harrison, Uncle Clement, and Uncle Macon returned from the bathroom, and Uncle Macon asked us, "What'd we miss?"

"I'll explain inside." Dad answered, "For now, let's just follow Ranger Amelia. She's going to get us checked out so we can be off for the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park."

"Roger that, Azul!" Uncle Harrison, Uncle Clement, and Uncle Macon announced at the same time. They chuckled and joined Dad.

Together, we started to follow Ranger Amelia towards the ranger station, but I stopped and glanced at Ranger Kate. I had a question for her. I wanted to know what she meant by, "I have very bad memories of canoes." I remember, she was sitting on her knees in the parking lot, severely depressed, and she was looking down on the picture of her son. I took a deep breath and started approaching her. While I did so, I put my bug net over my head because the bugs were really starting to bother me now. However, I had to ignore them for this one important conversation. Audience, this is a very important conversation, so pay close attention.

        Soon, I made it to depressed Ranger Kate, and bending my knees, I got down next to her. She sensed my presence and sighed sadly, continuing to examine the picture of her son. For a bit, there was silence between us. I remember. Then, I started the conversation. I peered into Ranger Kate's sad face and asked, "Why do you have very bad memories about canoes, Ranger Kate?" She again sighed, but she didn't answer at first. After a bit, I said, "It's all right if you don't want to tell me. I was just curious."

"No," she finally said, "I want to." Sighing for the third time, she lifted her head from the picture and peered into my eyes, explaining, "Years ago, young Kylie, I was involved in a really bad canoe accident in the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park."

I gulped. "You?" I asked, "The Ghost of Ontario? Did the Ghost of Ontario do it?"

Ranger Kate shrugged. "Probably," she answered, and she peered down on the picture of her son again, "Before the Ghost of Ontario came to life, Kylie, the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park was such a beautiful place. Now, to some people, it's become nothing but a haunted paradise."

I gulped again, "Is it really that bad? Were you injured in the accident?"

Ranger Kate nodded and answered, "Yes. I was critically injured. I had to be airlifted out of the park. I remember I didn't think I was going to make it when I entered the trauma center."

"And it was all because of the Ghost of Ontario?" I asked again.

She shrugged again, "I don't know. When I was in the ICU, I remember I wanted to see the smiling face of my son, but he never came to me."

"He was already missing after the accident?" I questioned.

She nodded, "Yes. He went missing the day of. He too went canoeing in the park." She sniffed, "I never saw him again." Tears ran down her cheeks, "But I know he's still out there somewhere. I just want my baby back."

I listened carefully. This conversation told me that Ranger Kate loved her son very much.

She feebly chuckled and held the picture of him up to her face, explaining, "I remember he use to shoot fake bows and arrows all over the house. He wanted to be a Native American when he grew up, Kylie. He loved Native Americans. He used to build a teepee in his room and paint all over himself. Now his Native American costume just lies on the ground, and I don't see his little hands picking it up and trying it on. You remind me so much of him. I really miss him." Here, she started to sob.

I too started to feel a little emotional. "I'm so sorry, Ranger Kate," was all I could say.

Ranger Kate soon dropped the picture, and she buried her face in her palms. Her tears ran down her knuckles and hit the parking lot.

I wanted to comfort her, but I was nervous to hug her. Therefore, I just patted her shoulder and said, "Shh, it's okay, Ranger Kate. I promise I will solve this mystery behind the disappearance of your son. You can count on me."

        Well, audience, there you go, that's why Ranger Kate is scared of canoes. It's because she was involved in a tragic canoeing accident when she was younger that separated her son from her. I did tell you the story was going to get a little sad, right? Well, bear with me. I promise you're not going to regret this in the future.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.1K 821 17
[Warning; This book has plenty of foul language that sometimes borders on obscene, a couple of drool-worthy males, a smoking hot MC, and a storyline...
181K 4.2K 46
The Na'vi girl, Tcelia, lost her parents at a very young age. Jake and Neytiri takes her under their wings and she forms a deep bond with the whole f...
113K 7K 45
#1 in Reverse Harem and #2 in Harem on 08/28/2021 #4 in Harem on 9/30/21 #17 in Romance out of 1.91 million stories on 1/16/22 #4 Paranormal 12/11/22...
352 54 20
Missing agency and direction in her life, River takes matters into her own hands to realize she never had much control to begin with. Thrust suddenly...