Another Like Me - Part I (CoT...

By Creepsies

[ COMPLETED ] Ayanokoji Kiyotaka. The prodigal genius of the 4th Generation White Room, feared and respected... More

Chapter 00 - Prologue
Chapter 01 - The Beginning
Chapter 02 - Manabu Horikita
Chapter 03 - Class Test
Chapter 04 - Reveal
Chapter 05 - Preparation
Chapter 06 - Kikyo Kushida
Chapter 07 - Midterms
Chapter 08 - Ken Sudo
Chapter 09 - Witness
Chapter 10 - Platinum
Chapter 11 - Hearing
Chapter 12 - Trap
Chapter 13 - Speranza
Chapter 14 - Deserted Island Special Test, Part 1
Chapter 15 - Deserted Island Special Test, Part 2
Chapter 16 - Deserted Island Special Test, Part 3
Chapter 17 - Deserted Island Special Test, Part 4
Chapter 18 - Deserted Island Special Test, Part 5
Chapter 19 - Deserted Island Special Test, Part 6
Chapter 20 - Deserted Island Special Test, Finale
Chapter 21 - No Break
Chapter 22 - The Zodiac Exam, Part 1
Chapter 23 - The Zodiac Exam, Part 2
Chapter 24 - The Zodiac Exam, Part 3
Chapter 25 - The Zodiac Exam, Finale
Chapter 26 - Another Like Me
Chapter 27 - Dictator
Chapter 28 - Natural Genius
SS.1 - Standards (Chiaki Matsushita)
SS.2 - The Man Behind The Mask (Kikyo Kushida)
Chapter 29 - Shadows
Chapter 30 - Strength Test
Chapter 31 - Reconnaissance
Chapter 32 - Double-Edged Sword
Chapter 34 - Foul Play
Chapter 35 - Theatrics
SS.3 - An Aura of Mystery (Ryuji Kanzaki)
Chapter 35.5 - Gossip (?) [Bonus]
Chapter 36 - Classroom of the Elite
Chapter 37 - Final Leg
Chapter 38 - Exposed, Part 1
Chapter 39 - Exposed, Part 2
Chapter 39.5 - The Student Council
Chapter 40 - Loyal Junior
Chapter 40.5 - Confession
Chapter 41 - The Negotiator
SS.4 - Siding With The Winner (Masayoshi Hashimoto)
Chapter 42 - Striking Gold
Chapter 43 - Rewind
Chapter 44 - The Paper Shuffle
Announcement - [1]
Chapter 44.5 - Teacher Troubles
Chapter 45 - Bookworm
Chapter 46 - Backroom Deal
Chapter 47 - Queen
Chapter 47.5 - Quest [Bonus]
Chapter 48 - Man With A Plan
Chapter 49 - Study Groups
Chapter 50 - Possibilities
Chapter 51 - Provocation
Chapter 52 - Realization
Announcement - [2]
Chapter 53 - Submission
Chapter 54 - Retaliation
SS.5 - The Greater Good (Shiina Hiyori)
SS.6 - Fearless (Sakayanagi Arisu)
SS.7 - Hot Guys (Mori Nene)
Random One Shot 1 - Kiryuin Fuka
Question - [1]
Announcement - [3]
Random One Shot 2 - Ichinose Honami
Chapter 55 - Tail
Chapter 56 - Cold Reading
Chapter 57 - Family
Chapter 58 - Camouflage
Chapter 59 - Rokusuke Kouenji
Chapter 59.5 - Trust
Chapter 60 - True Defeat
Chapter 61 - Suspicion
SS.8 - Friends (Kikyo Kushida)
Chapter 62 - Date?
Chapter 63 - Operation Peri-Peri [Bonus]
Chapter 64 - Date!
Chapter 65 - Playboy
Chapter 66 - Reveal 2.0
Chapter 67 - The Beginning of the End
Chapter 68 - The End of the Beginning
Chapter 68.5 - Desire
Chapter 69 - Epilogue
Another Like Me, Part II (Teaser)
Part II is Out!

Chapter 33 - The Curtain Rises

4.7K 202 43
By Creepsies

"How should we decide the order for the relay race, Keisuke?" Hirata asked me, as we made our final preparations for the Festival. The Sports Festival was now only 2 days away, and our class had trained as hard as they could for the Festival.

Unlike academics, where you can study the night before and actually get good scores on the paper, an Exam that marks our athletic abilities is harder to improve on for students who are lower than average. You cannot improve your overall physical prowess just by training overnight.

"Isn't it obvious? I'll go last. It'll make sense only for the fastest person to end the race, does it not?" said Sudo.

"I feel you should go first, Sudo-kun," Horikita said.

"First? Why should I go first?"

"It's because we'll need a stronger start. If you can give us a strong headstart, it'll make it easier for those who run after you to maintain an advantageous position. Also, the first person in a relay race is restricted to their own lane during the beginning, and lane changes are allowed once the baton passes onto the second runner. Starting from the second runner it's first-come-first-serve basis, right? And in the case that we get overtaken, it's specified in the rules that starting from the second runner onwards, we are permitted to use the outer lanes to overtake them."

"But....."

It seems Sudo wasn't convinced. And he shouldn't be. Even I'm not convinced. Certainly, if one can pull off a fast starting dash then from the 2nd runner onwards, their sprint will become easier.

But just by taking the vanguard, doesn't mean that he'll be able to shake off his opponents.

On the contrary, by using up Sudo right at the beginning of the race, the situation where the opposition runners slowly close the gap bit by bit puts pressure on the subsequent runners.

By placing Sudo as the anchor, or the last person in the relay, there's a possibility that he'll be able to bring out more power than usual in the final leg. If there are targets in front of him to chase after, then he'll have just as much fighting spirit left in him.

"The anchor is usually the fastest person, right?"

"This is a meritocratic school. It's no good to decide based on assumptions and preconceptions. The other classes should also be thinking of various strategies," said Horikita.

"Horikita."

"Takeyama, you understand right? Sudo should be the person to start the race for us. It's a good bet if we aim to win the relay," Horikita turned to me for assistance.

"I personally feel Sudo should be saved for the end, as the anchor. Is there a reason why you want to be the anchor, Horikita?"

"I ---"

"Please give us a reason, Horikita-san," Hirata gently spoke. "We won't understand if you don't."

Horikita made a complicated face. She was finally beginning to tell us the real reason behind her odd decision.

"Because I think my brother..... is the anchor....."

"Your brother, that's the..... Student Council President."

"Yes, he's my brother."

So Horikita wanted to be acknowledged by her brother, which was the reason she wanted to be the anchor in the race. Unfortunately, she's being swayed by personal emotions. Horikita was the one who made a great debate about how we weren't supposed to pull our own mentalities into this, and clear the exam with the best possible outcomes.

"So, you want to be the anchor alongside your brother?" Kushida asked.

"....." Horikita stayed silent.

"There's just some personal issues," I butted in. "I don't think we should be poking our noses into her affairs. I'm fine with Horikita being the anchor. If Sudo is fine with it as well, then there shouldn't be any problems."

Horikita mumbled an inaudible 'thank you' in my direction.

"I was wondering what the matter was all of a sudden but that's how it is then..... as for me, I still want to be anchor even now but if that's the case I don't mind handing it over to you." Sudo approved of the decision.

"Great! Then I'll go ahead and swap Sudo's and Horikita's names before submitting the roster. That's alright?"

"Thank you....."

Horikita lacks the courage to approach her brother. But if it's a contest, then they'd have no choice but to be pitted against one another, and they would be forced together.

I doubt anything concrete would occur during the festival, but if it can get Horikita closer to her elder brother, even by a tiny bit, I don't mind helping her at all.

***

The day of the sports festival was finally here. All students marched onto the ground just as rehearsed. It could hardly be called a march though; most of the students were only just disciplined enough to make sure that they don't disrupt the structure.

Third Year Class A's Fujimaki was the one who gave the opening declaration. On the outskirts of the school grounds, stands were set up, but there were hardly any spectators. I wondered why they even set up the stands.

On either side of the ground were 2 small cottage-like tents for either team, and class. Needless to say, the preparations for the sports festival were flawless.

I noticed a camera at the finish line, pointed directly at the position of race finishes. It was probably to resolve any ambiguity in the races. This meant that even if you lost the race by a hair's breadth, you would be awarded second place without any remorse. Every competition will have a victor and a loser decided. That was also probably the reason cheerleading and such, which were hard to score, were not included in the sports festival.

I was suddenly overwhelmed by the seriousness of this Sports Festival, but I shook it out of my mind nevertheless.

Suddenly, the voice of an announcer sounded out of the stadium speakers.

"First Years, Group 1, 100m boys dash. Please take your respective positions. I repeat ~~"

So they were already starting the events? They sure didn't waste any time. I was a part of Group 3, along with Haruki Yamauchi, so most of the pressure was anyways on me.

Sudo was a part of Group 1, and he stretched himself before getting ready to run off to the starting line.

"Good luck, Sudo. You're the star of the show this time. We're all counting on you," I threw out some encouraging words to the redhead.

"Hehe, thanks! I won't let you boys down!" Saying so, he bumped his fist against mine. A true bro.

Sudo headed down to the starting line, and took his position on the 4th lane from the inside. The pistol sounded, and Sudo dashed forward annihilating and leaving all opposition behind. He had a lead of almost around 3 seconds on the second placed person, and Sudo easily grabbed first place.

"Having someone like Sudo during a Sports Festival is sure very reassuring," Hirata mused. I nodded along to his statement.

***

"First Years, Group 3, 100m boys dash. Please take your respective positions. I repeat ~~"

So it was my turn now. I lightly stretched out my thighs and calves, and there was localized fervent cheering and shouting on a certain part of the First Year crowd. Wait, I'm famous in the entire First Year grade?

"Tch. Don't fall behind me, Takeyama," Yamauchi huffed, as he headed out onto the starting line, and I followed behind him.

"Kuku, look who's in group 3 as well."

I clicked my tongue in frustration. "Ryuuen. I can't say it's good to see you again."

"I don't care what you think about when you see me. I heard from sources that you're leading Class Defect now? So one defect dropped and another one popped up?" Ryuuen sneered.

It wasn't surprising that Ryuuen was aware of this development. I indeed had made a scene in the gymnasium alongside Class A, so it was inevitable that information would spread to the other classes.

"Your questions don't deserve answers, Ryuuen," I said indifferently.

"Haw, giving me the cold shoulder, eh? You'll regret it later, you know?"

Saying so, Ryuuen walked back to his position on the 3rd lane, and I took my position on the 7th lane. Yamauchi was in the 1st lane. It was purely wasted on him. I wasn't acquainted much with the rest of the students.

Crack!

The pistol echoed through the stadium, and all racers shot up, leaving a cloud of dust behind. I started off with a moderate speed, but slowly accelerated as we reached the 50m mark. I comfortably finished the race in first place, and Ryuuen took 2nd place.

"Huff, so you beat me this time eh? Good job with those scrawny ass legs," Ryuuen tried to provoke me.

"Sore loser?"

"Kuku, we'll see, Takeyama, we'll see." With that, Ryuuen left the course with a sadistic smile patched on his face.

"I let you win, Takeyama, because I didn't want to tarnish your reputation in front of the ladies," Yamauchi said. He had come in at an astonishing 8th place.

"Good work, Takeyama!" Sudo ran up to me and slapped my back. "The 2 of us are gonna annihilate all competition this time!"

"Yeah, sure. We will," I said. "It wasn't much of a big deal, though. I was pitted against slow runners."

"Well, that's there," Sudo accepted my humble disposition, and headed back to the sitting area. I sat back down at the stands amid massive cheering directed at me. To be honest, I wasn't ready for this kind of fame. Guess it's a perk of becoming Class Leader. Now pretty much all girls in the grade know my name.

The rest of the races passed without any hitch. Ayanokoji was a part of Group 7, along with Hirata. He finished in 5th place, exactly in the middle of the group, and Hirata seized first place. Ayanokoji really takes the meaning of average student to the next level. If someone were to look at his overall performance, he's so average that it's not counted as average anymore. Every single aspect, including his test scores, entrance exam scores, grip strength and down to trivial things like placement in the races, he's come exactly in the middle. Which makes it a bit suspicious to anyone who goes through his record.

It also brings a question into my mind — does Ayanokoji not realize that being 'exactly average' is not how a normal student functions? Given his intellectual abilities, it's very surprising that he did not take the human psych into account. Was he like this even in middle school? Did he always seek to be average, to the point where every single aspect of his life is exactly the national average?

Or maybe he was just trolling everyone?

The second option seemed more plausible.

"First Years, Group 10, 100m girls dash. Please take your respective positions. I repeat ~~"

".....?"

Horikita was a part of this group, and Ibuki, her self-declared rival, was also racing in this group. Was it a coincidence? Even in my group, I was pitted against Ryuuen, the one person in Class C who's very interested in me right now.

"I wonder if Ibuki-chan's athletic?" Yamauchi pondered.

"Who knows. But I'm pretty sure Suzune's gonna be the winner here," Sudo reflexively defended his best girl.

At the sound of the pistol, 7 girls shot forth. Ibuki had the advantage in the beginning, and Horikita lagged behind. But with a beautiful form, Horikita accelerated and closed the gap between Ibuki and herself. Ibuki must've lost her focus when she turned back to look at Horikita, and she had used that opportunity to close the gap. But Ibuki did not give up, and the race was completely dominated by those 2.

Eventually, Horikita was the one to cut the tape first, and Ibuki was just a fraction of a second late. The audience went into an uproar, but it was clear as day that Horikita was the winner. Ibuki clicked her tongue and kicked the ground in frustration.

"That was pretty close," Hirata walked up to me, and stood beside me.

"Yeah, Ibuki from Class C is indeed a good opponent," I replied. "I have a question, Yosuke."

"What is it?"

"Why is Kouenji sitting down there at the cottage? I didn't see him in any of the races. Or did I miss it?"

Hirata let out a disappointed sigh. "You didn't miss it. Kouenji-kun has decided that he will pull out of the festival, because he is apparently unwell."

"Tch. His potential is wasted on that trash attitude."

"Sudo-kun tried to go and stir him up, but Kouenji-kun flatly denied any interest in participating. I was there to mediate in case things got violent," Hirata said.

"Well, I think it was known that Kouenji would be a liability. With Kouenji and Sakayanagi out of the picture for the Red Team, we'll definitely incur penalty points, since they'll be placed last in all the races," I observed. "We'll have to somehow make up for his incompetence."

"You sure don't hold back even against your own classmates, do you?" Hirata said as he chuckled and ruffled the back of his hair with his hand. "But I agree. We need to make sure that we perform well so that we're not harmed by his absence."

The 100m dash for the Second Years was about to begin. I wasn't acquainted with any of them, except Nagumo and a few other names that I had managed to catch from the Pool Volleyball match I was dragged into on the last day of vacation. Nagumo was a part of Group 2, and he took first position without as much as breaking a sweat.

Group 3 consisted of a second year who I had identified as Kiriyama. I didn't know anything else about him, though.

In Group 7 was a girl with chocolate-brown hair that flowed to her waist, and generous proportions. She was Nazuna Asahina, a close friend of Nagumo. She comfortably took 2nd place in her race. The rest of the second years were all unfamiliar faces to me.

Among the Third Year groups, Horikita Manabu was a part of Group 2, and he took 1st place by a massive margin, almost 3 whole seconds ahead of the person in second place. It was undoubtedly a superb run. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Horikita nervously but intently stare at her brother. What, was she a brocon or something?

There was an announcement which..... well, announced, that there would be a 15 minute break before moving onto the next event, which was hurdling.

This was an event which not everyone in our class was capable of doing, and for good reasons. Hurdling required intense calf strength and thigh and groin flexibility, and not everyone possessed these skills. In fact, it could be very much said that most of the class did not possess the skill to jump a hurdle every 10m for a 100m race.

This was an event where, instead of trying to make sure you're not last, you have to aim for a podium finish.

Most of the competition in the hurdle race will be inexperienced. Taking advantage of that will be essential in raking in more points.

Again, that depends on the rest of our classmates. I'm confident that I can take first place. Sudo will probably take first place as well. Ayanokoji would if he tried, but he won't.

"Psst. Ayanokoji." I whistled out to the brown haired man.

"What is it?"

"Think you can get 3rd or higher in this race?"

"I don't want to stand out," Ayanokoji gave his usual response.

"But most of the crowd is inexperienced with hurdling. You're in Group 1, and you're not up against too many athletic people. It would be a good boost if you could get a podium finish. Maybe not 1st, but 3rd."

"..... alright. I'll get 3rd then," he replied matter-of-factly.

The Group 1 race started, and unsurprisingly, Ayanokoji came in 3rd place. He was along with Hirata in this race again, who had once again secured first place.

I looked up towards the screen in the stadium, which showcased the points that each team currently had at the end of the 100m dashes.

Scores:

Red Team: 2011 Points
White Team: 1891 Points

It seems we had taken a slight lead in the first race. But it would probably be overturned any minute.

"Koppu..... I have a stomach ache..... I think I'll pass," the Professor muttered from the side of the tent.

"Huh!? What do you mean, stomach ache?" Sudo flared up at this pitiful display. I sighed, and quickly walked over to the tent.

"No, I'm not feeling well! So I can't take part in the race....."

"Sotomura-kun," I called out.

"Huh? Takeyama?" Sudo snorted. "Look at this wimp. He apparently has a stomach ache."

"Sotomura-kun, it's alright even if you come in last place. You don't necessarily have to clear the hurdles. There's a 0.3 second penalty if you touch them with your foot, and a 0.5 second penalty if you touch them with your hand. So you can incur a maximum penalty of 5 seconds even if you knock all of them down. Participation is the most important part right now, so please try to stay in the race."

"..... right. But please don't screw me if I come last, which I probably will. Koppu!" The Professor said, as he cited strange onomatopoeia.

"Tch. Takeyama, you're too nice," Sudo lamented. "I would have disciplined him properly, and probably scared him enough to run and actually get first place."

"We both know that is not possible," I joked. "I'm in Group 3, and my race is up next. I'll get going."

"All the best. Slay 'em."

I took my position in the 3rd lane this time, and to my left, I was unfortunately paired alongside Sho Shibata, one of the best contenders in the year.

"Takeyama-kun! Looks like we'll be racing against each other now! I'm not going to go easy!" he cheerfully said.

"Likewise, Shibata-kun. Let's do our best."

I bent down and clutched the ground.

The pistol crack echoed again, and I shot up and raced towards the first hurdle. I cleared it with relative ease. I could see Shibata right next me to my right. It seems we were the main competitors in this race. I slowly increased my speed, but Shibata looked like he had done this before. He had an elegant form as he jumped over the hurdles, almost as if it were second nature to him.

I shook away these thoughts and raced ahead.

We were neck-to-neck even until the last hurdle. After the last one was cleared, both of made a mad dash towards the tape, and cleared it almost at the same time. Even I wasn't sure who touched the tape first.

"Huff, Takeyama-kun! That was intense!" Shibata said, as he wiped his sweat of his brow.

"Yeah, that was a good race. I don't even know who won."

"Let's wait for the staff to check the cameras."

It seemed no one was quite sure who had come first in the race, even among the teachers and students. They rewinded the video, and it looked like I had touched the tape just mere milliseconds before Shibata. It was my victory.

"Damn, Takeyama, you beat even that Class B punk!" Sudo praised me as I trudged back to the tents. "That was the fastest I've ever seen you run!"

"Guess I was really fired up, having someone like Shibata as my opponent."

The hurdle races were extensively in our favor, but the Second Year and Third Year Class A and D students screwed up a bit, except for a few of them, like Nagumo and Manabu.

But what surprised me a bit was my Group and Horikita's Group, again. I may have ended up in 1st place, but it was clear that my Group had a student from the track and field club from Class C, as conveyed to me by Chiaki after the race. Even in Horikita's race, her opponents were Yajima-san and Kinoshita-san from the track and field club again, and she came in 3rd place in that race.

I had previously taken note of the track and field members during my reconnaissance with Horikita. The club had been empty when we visited, mostly because no one wanted their skills to leak out through club activities.

The ordering looked especially suspicious. Twice in 2 races now, I had been pitted once against the only track and field member from Class C, and Ryuuen himself in the first race. Horikita had been paired with Ibuki and 2 club members in her races.

It seemed too conspicuous to be a coincidence. I decided to investigate into the matter soon.

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N's:

I don't know what to write here anymore lol.

Thank you for reading, and please vote for the chapter! Cheers.

________________________________________________________________________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

182K 3.7K 45
Their marriage was set in stone. Well until the Colombians went under the radar. Davina and Ares were set to marry once she reached eighteen. She's...
91.1K 4.2K 10
BOOK THREE in Campus series __________________________ From a shy, soft-spoken student, to a young man deeply in love and fighting against all odds...
62.8K 3.7K 70
I know everything about boring things like science but what I want to know is, what is pain? What does it feel like? So I can finally understand her...
47.1K 337 19
After the battle with Muzan, all the hashira and the kamaboko squad are taken to a mysterious theatre where they are going to react to scenes from mo...