Apex Predator

By Darkpetal16

In which Konoha's beloved jinchūriki finds herself in an odd new world with only Kurama by her side. He insis... More

Apex Predator
Margay I
Margay II
Margay III
Margay IV
Margay V
Margay VI
Margay VII
Margay VIII
Saw-Scaled Viper I
Saw-Scaled Viper II
Lioness I
Lioness II
Lioness III
Lioness IV
Lioness V
Wolf-Spider I
Wolf-Spider II
Wolf-Spider III
Wolf-Spider IV
Wolf-Spider V
Wolf-Spider VI
Hyena I
Hyena II
Hyena III
Hyena IV
Hyena V
Lammergeier I
Lammergeier II
Lammergeier III
Lammergeier IV
Lammergeier V
Lammergeier VI
Lammergeier VII
Lammergeier VIII
Lammergeier IX
Lammergeier X
Fox I
Fox II
Fox III
Fox V

Fox IV

2.8K 260 120
By Darkpetal16

Miwa breathed in the fresh air, her blue eyes sparkling with delight.

Shaiapouf held her in his arms. His butterfly wings flapped slowly, lazily, as he hovered in the air above the hospital rooftop. Miwa wanted some fresh air after spending over an hour getting rid of excess mutated organs and gunk, but Shaiapouf and Gon were reluctant to let her travel far from the hospital.

Therefore, Shaiapouf would hold Miwa as he fluttered near the hospital roof where Gon would watch them. That way Miwa got fresh air, didn't need to exert herself, and would be near the hospital.

"It's a really nice day," Miwa commented, sniffing at the air. She caught hints of the city smell with each breeze.

"It is," Shaiapouf agreed. "How are you feeling?"

"Better?"

The butterfly-ant cocked his head, his naturally stoic face uncharacteristically gentle. Miwa had been noticing that over the past several days. Shaiapouf was much kinder to her than he had been before. It was starting to give Miwa hope that maybe, just maybe, Shaiapouf might want to still be with her after she got better. That maybe, just maybe, he might not want to go back to the king.

Miwa thought it would be delightful if the two could become better friends, but she tried to stay reasonable. She knew how much Shaiapouf loved his king, and had a hard time accepting that he would put anyone else above Mereum.

Shaiapouf quietly asked, "Want to try eating?"

"Mmm..." Miwa hesitated. "Maybe something small?"

"Would you prefer soup again—?"

"Oi!" Gon shouted from below them. He had a huge smile on his face as he jumped up and down and waved his arms. He had his phone clutched tightly in one of his hands. "Killua's arriving soon!"

Shaiapouf's grip tightened on Miwa.

"Ehh? Really?" Miwa's eyes widened in surprise. "When?"

"Ten—ehh—fifteen minutes?" Gon said. He held his phone back up to his ear. "Ten? Ten minutes he said! We gotta meet them somewhere secure."

"Whoa," said Miwa. "Then I'll wait to eat until I'm healed up. It's been days since I got to eat a big meal, I wanna go all out."

"I'll have something prepared," Shaiapouf assured her. Although his words were kind, there was a reluctant undertone to them. He flew back down to the hospital, entering Miwa's room through the open window. Gon hopped through the window shortly afterward, positively elated.

Shaiapouf considerately set Miwa onto her bed and started to fix her hair. Miwa happily leaned into his touch. She found that she very much enjoyed having her hair brushed, and Shaiapouf worked wonders with a comb. The wind had swept her hair in all different directions, but within minutes Shaiapouf had it tamed and in its usual pigtails.

"I guess this will mean no more hospital gowns, huh," remarked Gon.

"Thank goodness. Those things are breezy," Miwa said.

"I thought you looked cute in the one with little duckies on it," he said.

Miwa couldn't resist smiling at that. "Why don't you wear that one then?"

"I dunno. Think I could pull off little duckies?"

"Yeah-huh, you're cute."

Gon hopped onto her bed. "Aww. Whatcha gonna do once you're all healed up?"

"I dunno," she said. "You should go visit your dad, though."

"Mmm..." Gon scratched his cheek, suddenly finding greater interest in the floor than anywhere else.

"Miwa you should still rest for a couple of days—as a precaution," Shaiapouf advised.

"Ehhh... should I...?"

"Well you need to stay in town for the election anyway," Gon pointed out.

"I guess." Miwa leaned back into Shaiapouf. "Okay, I'll stay one extra day. Just one! Then I never want to step foot in a hospital ever again."

"That sounds like a great idea," Gon chirped.

"I'll stay here with Killua," Miwa said, "but you should go to talk to your dad while you can."

Gon leaned side to side, his brow creased. "I... I guess I should. Killua can protect you and if you need to rest one more day... yeah. Call me if anything happens?"

"I promise," she said.

(≧ڡ≦*)

Shaiapouf carried Miwa to a secured building not far from the hospital. Gon led the way, a skip in his step. There were dozens of butlers outside and around the building, each of them smelling of Killua's home. Neferpitō met them outside, smiling. "Nyow don't you look cozy?"

"Pouf is very comfy," said Miwa.

"How was the trip?" Shaiapouf asked, his shoulders pulled back upon hearing Miwa's compliment.

"Mmm... dull?" Neferpitō tilted their head, continuing to smile. Their ears twitched. "I guess there might have been some trouble from the eldest brother, but we never saw him."

Gon echoed, "Trouble?'

Neferpitō shrugged. "Come in. Let's take care of our toy now, yes?"

The cat-ant guided them inside the building, where Killua and one other waited for them.

Miwa smiled upon seeing the boy. He was a little bit shorter than Killua with long dark hair. Miwa noticed immediately how adorably he was dressed. It looked like a lot of Killua's siblings liked to wear dresses. Miwa could tell right away they were siblings—they had the exact same charming pale blue eyes. Even their energy core had a familiar vibe to it. If Killua was fresh snow, then his sibling was a frozen lake.

Actually, his sibling's energy was distractingly familiar. Cool, pretty, pristine on the surface, but underneath felt... dark? Not in a malicious sense, but in a peculiar, comforting way. Miwa had a gut feeling that something was hidden inside that child, but she couldn't be certain.

Unlike Kalluto, the boy didn't wear a kimono or yukata, but rather a dress style Miwa wasn't familiar with.

"Hey. This is my little sister, Alluka," introduced Killua.

'Sister? But he smells—ehh, okay.'

Miwa beamed. "Hi Alluka! I'm Miwa. You look cute."

Alluka's cheeks turned red, her eyes brightened. "Eheheh, thank you!"

"I'm Gon," said Gon. "Nice to meet you."

"Ah, you too," said Alluka quickly.

Miwa tilted her head back to look at Shaiapouf who reluctantly set her down. When he made no move to introduce himself, Miwa did that for him. "This is Shaiapouf, he's my buddy. You can call him Pouf."

"Hi Pouf," greeted Alluka.

"Alluka," Killua said, gently tugging on her hand, "Miwa is the friend I told you about."

"Fiancée," coughed Gon.

"Fiancée?" Alluka echoed, her eyes wide. "Does that mean she'll be my big sister?"

"Even if we don't, um, get married, I can still be your big sister," Miwa offered. "I've never had a little sister before and I love cute things."

"It's true, she does," Gon agreed.

Alluka giggled. "Me too! Soft, fluffy, and cute things are the best."

Miwa gasped. "You like fluffy things too?"

"I love fluffy things! I have a whole bunch of stuffed animals at home," Alluka proudly boasted. "Oh, but I like my big brother Killua best."

"Killua's really amazing, huh?" Miwa nodded approvingly. "Plus his hair is soft and fluffy."

"Yes, yes!" Alluka enthusiastically agreed.

Killua coughed, his cheeks red. "Healing first?"

Alluka puffed out her cheeks. "Boo! I wanted to talk more."

"I promise you can talk more afterward," he assured her.

"Yeah, I'm apparently going to be resting for another day anyway," said Miwa with a shrug. "We can watch a movie if you'd like?"

"I've never watched a movie with a friend before," Alluka said.

"Just as long as it's not a romance movie," Gon said quietly, immediately eliciting a blush from Miwa.

Killua raised an eyebrow at that. "Am I missing something?"

"No," Miwa said quickly as Gon said, "Yeah."

Both of his eyebrows rose at that. His posture shifted to something more aloof, a vague hint of displeasure in his tone as he said, "Hoo? Really? Sounds like you two had fun while I was busy."

"Eat me," Gon whispered, causing Miwa to squawk and kick the back of his knees in.

"Traitor! You use those words for the wrong reasons," she scolded.

Gon continued to quietly chuckle while Miwa glowered at him. Shaiapouf placed a hand on Miwa's shoulder, his brow creased with concern. He kneeled in front of her, gently taking her hands as he quietly said, "Miwa, you should not strain yourself. If you need to inflict violence on others, allow me."

Miwa's eyes shined with affection as she looked adoringly at Shaiapouf. "Aww, Pouf—"

Killua clapped his hands together, his expression sour. "We're getting off track. Alluka..."

"Yes," she said, walking over to Miwa and holding out her hands.

Miwa turned her attention to Killua's younger sister. Miwa smiled as warmly as she could, placing her hands in Alluka's outstretched reach.

Alluka's energy fluctuated as if someone had dropped a rock atop the frozen lake and shattered the ice atop. Goosebumps trailed down the back of Miwa, her fingers uncomfortably cold inside Alluka's suddenly tight grip. Miwa watched, transfixed, as Alluka's face morphed into something not wholly human and the dark energy that once rested beneath her surged to life.

Wait, this feeling—

'It's like you without malice,' Miwa thought in wonder.

Another bijū?

'Could it be?'

Something not made of physical energy at the very least.

'Killua didn't mention his sister was a jinchūriki.'

White light enveloped their hands, rushing into Miwa. She couldn't hold back the sigh of relief as all of her fatigue and nausea finally ebbed away. After spending days in discomfort, feeling her body be put back to normal was such an amazing sensation.

"'Kay," Alluka said, her eyes returning to normal.

'Are we okay now?'

Yes.

Miwa beamed. "All healed up! Thank you so much."

The others sighed with relief.

"In that case, I should return to the king's side," said Neferpitō. They reached forward and ruffled Miwa's head. "Come by and play soon, okay?"

"Okay," she agreed.

Neferpitō grinned, their tail flicking side to side. They tossed a teasing look at Shaiapouf. "Bye-bye."

"G-Goodbye," Shaiapouf mumbled, his gaze refusing to meet Neferpitō's.

"So obvious," cooed the cat-ant. They waved goodbye then headed out the door.

"Um," Miwa began hesitantly. She kept her grip on Alluka's hands. "I'm sorry to ask this but are you—are you, um—like me?

Alluka tilted her head cutely. "Huh? What do you mean?"

"It feels like you're sharing your body with someone else," Miwa explained. "Like me. Is that true?"

"Huh?" the energy inside of Killua's sister surged forth, as if awoken again but not yet predominate. What an odd thing to feel! Now more acutely aware of the distinction, Miwa could feel how different the two energies were. Alluka was the pristine ice, and whatever was inside her was the enveloping dark waters beneath her.

Killua stepped closer, his eyes narrowed. "What? Alluka... Alluka is like you?"

Miwa offered them both a sweet smile. "I think so. Alluka, you share your soul, your body?"

"Yes! I have a friend," Alluka said excitedly. "You do, too?!"

"I do," Miwa confirmed. "His name is Kurama. What do you call your friend?"

Alluka pouted. "I can't say their name. But my big brother calls them Nanika."

Miwa gave Killua an offended look. "You named them Something?"

Killua's cheeks tinged red. "Wha—It's not like it was very explanatory!"

'Kurama, think we could say hi?'

Mmm... if what I feel is accurate, then it's possible. I could not do it alone, it would need to meet halfway.

'Think it'll know how?'

It's clearly using spiritual energy, and was capable of healing you when I could not. I should give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it will know something basic like pushing that energy into a mindscape.

Miwa pursed her lips. "Mm... Alluka, would you and Nanika like to meet my friend?"

"Oh? Can we?"

"We'd have to find another clearing," said Killua.

"No, not that way," denied Miwa. "Alluka, we're going to start the connection. Let Nanika know to finish it, okay?"

"Um—okay!"

(≧ڡ≦*)

Miwa sat on Kurama's head, and the two looked across the mindscape to see Alluka sitting atop a gaseous creature with limb-like appendages that Miwa and Kurama could only assume was Nanika. Alluka waved excitedly across the mindscape, her eyes wide with childish delight. "A fox! Your friend is a fox!"

"Yes," Miwa said, scratching Kurama's head. "This is my best friend, Kurama."

"This is my best friend, Nanika," Alluka exclaimed, patting Nanika.

"Hello! Hello!" Nanika spoke(????????). Miwa gaped upon hearing(???) Nanika because the sounds it made were incomprehensible yet Miwa somehow perfectly understood her. "Never felt you before... where did you come from?"

"Another world," Kurama answered, his deep voice rumbling. "We were somehow transported here."

"Amazing. I've seen other worlds across the Dark Continent, but I have never visited them," Nanika said, its tone intrigued.

"The Dark Continent?" Miwa echoed. "Wait—wasn't that where the Chimera Ants were from?"

The Chimera Ants who, at the beginning, exuded a presence similar to Kurama.

'Could there be other bijū there? Maybe... did we cross it before coming here?'

"Interesting," commented Kurama, likely following Miwa's thought process.

'Only way to find out would be to go there, right?'

"What was your world like?" Nanika inquired.

"Can you show us?" Alluka asked excitedly.

Miwa grinned at that. She said, "Sure, step a bit further on my side of the mindscape and I'll show you what I can. My memories aren't the best, but I have some good ones."

(≧ڡ≦*)

Time in the mindscape always went by much quicker than in reality. Miwa and Alluka were only silently holding hands for a minute, when they both re-opened their eyes and beamed.

"Kurama was very cute," praised Alluka.

"Thank you, I think so too," agreed Miwa. "Nanika was... astonishing."

"Hehehe."

"What just happened?" Gon asked in confusion.

Miwa and Alluka looked at one another. Miwa winked at her and slyly said, "Secret?"

Alluka gasped in delight. "My first secret with a new friend!"

Miwa laughed, bending forward and affectionately nuzzling Alluka's cheek. Alluka's entire face heated up, a goofy smile stretching over her face.

Alluka giggled with giddy glee. "Hehehehehe."

"Well... as long as everything is okay," said Killua.

"Yeah. I guess I should go..." Miwa heaved a sigh. "Rest."

"Yes," agreed Shaiapouf.

"Then I... I'll go see if I can find my dad," said Gon, a bright smile on his face. "I'll—I'll drag him over to you, okay?"

"If you can't find him by tomorrow, we'll hunt him together," Miwa promised him. "He can't outrun me after I've got his scent."

Gon gave her two thumbs up.

(≧ڡ≦*)

Back in the hospital room, Miwa sighed. Shaiapouf had left to get something. Alluka was tuckered out from her journey, so she was sleeping cutely on the bed beside Miwa. Killua stepped out only for a few minutes to phone home. Miwa couldn't hear the entire conversation, but it sounded like Killua was arguing with his mother.

'One more day here and then I can leave. Mm... I wonder what we're going to do after this.'

We should go to the Dark Continent.

'Yeah. I was thinking about that. Although...' Miwa felt her heart clench. 'It might mean saying goodbye again.'

She had been apart from Gon and Killua before.

It's not permanent.

'Yeah.'

You can visit them any time you want because of the Hiraishin marks on them.

Miwa found herself nodding along. 'Yeah.'

Distance and time hadn't dwindled their friendship any time they were separated. She would always, always, love and cherish them. If they wanted to join her on her trip to the Dark Continent that would be marvelous, but if not that was okay.

Their friendship wasn't restrictive. They would never demand her to give up something she wanted on their behalf, and she reciprocated that. Their desires might make their paths diverge, but she knew in her heart their paths would line up again.

As silly as it sounded, Miwa truly felt they were meant to be together. They were meant to go on adventures together.

It just so happened that sometimes they had to go on solo journeys too.

Miwa glanced out the hospital window.

'I'm glad you'll still be with me, Kurama.'

Heh. You say that like you're certain you're going alone.

'Gon might finally find his dad. I'm sure he'd want to spend time with him. And Killua... I get the feeling he wouldn't want to come with me.'

They aren't the only ones who care about you.

Miwa frowned. 'You mean... Pouf? But his king—'

I told you. Fucking yandere. You're his obsession now. Watch, he'll come back and start slipping in hints. Just you fucking watch.

'I dunno...'

Miwa looked around the hospital room.

'Ah, I guess I should make sure everything is packed up.'

She had been good about putting everything back in the bag Shalnark had brought her, but there was one thing she left out. Mostly because Gon kept hiding it under her pillow to tease her. Miwa lifted her pillow, unsurprised to find the naughty book there.

'Maybe I should burn this.'

I don't know. Your mortification is hilarious.

But—

It was at that moment that Killua returned.

Killua noticed the book.

Miwa literally kicked the book so hard it flew out the wall and crashed into the skyscraper opposite of the hospital. Alluka let out a soft snore and rolled over, burying her head in the blankets.

Killua slowly turned his head to look at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Just something Gon and I were reading," Miwa whispered, her cheeks burning from embarrassment.

"I saw the title," said Killua.

"No, you didn't," Miwa pleaded.

"I did," said Killua, stepping closer to Miwa.

"Oh no," Miwa whimpered, her face hot.

"Miwa," Killua said with an angelic smile as he took her hands.

"Oh, no," Miwa whined, sensing danger. Such a heavenly smile could only mean her friend was about to do something downright devilish.

Killua squeezed her hands, his pale eyes shining as he continued to smile serenely at her. He looked her straight in the eye, never breaking composure as he purred, "Miwa... eat me."

Her mind went blank. Her whole body felt uncomfortably hot. It was suddenly terribly hard to breathe and—

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY—

—her world swayed—

—ABOUT TO—?

—Miwa fainted.

(≧ڡ≦*)

Gon, who was waiting outside the door, came into the room and high-fived Killua. The two boys were wheezing with laughter at the fact that they made her faint.

"I wish I had that on video," Killua laughed.

Gon wiped away a tear. "That was so good. That was the perfect time to say it."

"A deal was a deal."

"Took you long enough!"

"Yeah, but the timing made it worth it, right?"

The two continued to giggle.

(≧ڡ≦*)

Double update for the end because I love you all. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 44.5K 90
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
1.6M 54.3K 68
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...
2.1M 110K 62
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
760K 35.6K 58
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...