An Ancient Bond.

By InuVampireChan

Link breaks the Sheikah slate and following Impa's guidance seeks out the advice of one of his ancestors. More

Prologue.
Zora's Domain.
Divine Beast Vah Ruta.
Travel.
Vah Medoh.
Great Forest of Hyrule.
Death Mountain.
Vah Rudania
Well Deserved Rest
Gerudo Desert
Yiga Clan Hideout
Interlude
Forever.

Vah Naboris

21 0 0
By InuVampireChan

  "I assume, like all the others, you're going to need some form of arrow for this. Probably another bomb since this one uses electricity." Sheik frowned and looked out over the desert, past the ladder that led up to where Riju was no doubt waiting for them. "Do you have enough arrows for this?"

Link reached behind himself to his quiver and felt along the ends of the arrows. He did a quick count of how many bomb arrows he had and then shrugged to Sheik. "I have eight and I'm pretty good with my aim. If I'm good enough, I shouldn't need more." Despite his reassurances Sheik didn't look nearly as convinced as he himself was. It was true, he probably could use a few more, but he wasn't about to spend hundreds of rupees on a few arrows. His aim was good, he should be fine. "Trust me, Sheik."

"I do." Sheik shook his head and looked back out toward Vah Naboris. "It's our last one. I just--I'm worried."

"It can't be any worse than me nearly falling into a vat of Lava."

"I can save you from falling easily." His gaze slipped back to Link. "I can't say the same when electricity stops your heart from beating." Alright, he had a valid point. Honestly, Link would have never thought before this that electricity could be more terrifying than an entire volcano. "I made a few electricity resistant elixirs before we came up here, I can't say for certain if they'll be of any use but I figured it was at least worth a shot."

They'd also changed their clothes at the Bazaar while they were waiting. Though Link was mostly looking for supplies, Sheik seemed to have been thinking ahead. This was why it was good he was with Link, he never would have worried that much about the electricity. Hopefully this fight won't be nearly as bad as Sheik seemed to be thinking it was.

"Sheik, we can only plan so far ahead. We'll do the best we can. Should we head up?" Riju was probably tired of waiting.

"Our 'best' could end in your death. Just keep that in mind." Link swallowed but nodded and Sheik turned to the ladder, grasping the bars and climbing his way up.

"Well then... that's what you two really look like, huh... " She started giggling at them. "With voe banned from town, it's not very common for me to see someone like you two. What a sight." Riju turned away from them, long red hair bouncing against her calves. As her gaze focused on the Divine Beast the two of them followed her in looking out at it. "Divine Beast Vah Naboris is pretty intimidating. If we want to get close enough to that thing, we'll need to use sand seals. Are you ready?"

The both of them nodded at once and Riju grinned widely. "Feeling confident? Good. Let's get going, then! First, we'll use the sand seals to get in really close to that thing. I'll take the lead. I'm counting on you to shoot at its feet with bomb arrows. Naboris draws energy from the ground to keep moving. If you damage the feet, I think you can stop it. Those lightning strikes, though... getting hit by even one could prove fatal." Beside him he could feel Sheik tense suddenly and it seemed to further drive home his worries from before. "The Thunder Helm can repel the lightning strikes, protecting me from harm. But it can also shield a limited area around me. You'll have to stay close if you don't want to be shocked. And listen... if you're too injured to keep fighting, promise me you'll retreat here, to the lookout post."

Sheik sighed and shook his head. "That's reassuring."

"I'm just being cautious, I don't want either of you to do anything reckless under any circumstances. Here, I brought some bomb arrows just in case. There aren't many though, so be sure to put them to good use." She handed Link a bundle of arrows and he added it to his supplies. Twenty eight now, he should be perfectly fine. "This is the last time I'll ask, are you sure you're ready?"

"Of course." Link turned to look back at Sheik. "Do you want to stay here, like before?"

"I don't believe I'll be overly useful when we need to stay so close together. I don't wish to get in the way and you're better with a bow and arrow." That wasn't what he thought would happen but they could debate that later.

Link gave a nod and turned to Riju. "Then let's go."

The two of them climbed back down and Riju got her favorite sand seal hooked up. Link, after sneaking up on another one, managed to get himself readied behind her. As he watched her from his own sand seal she raised her arms up and started what seemed to be a prayer to her ancestors. "My name is Riju, descendant of the royal line and leader of the Gerudo people! With the power of the heirloom passed down in my family, I shall calm the Divine Beast Vah Naboris! Ancestors of the Gerudo! Answer my call! Aid me in this task!" If she needed the speech or not he honestly had no idea, but the Thunder Helm suddenly sparked and a very visible barrier that seemed made of thunder itself formed a circle around them.

She spun around to look at Link, very clearly impressed with herself. Honestly, Link was fairly impressed too. "Oh, wow! I can feel their power coursing through me! Let's move!" She turned back around and Link felt his own sand seal jump in response to the excitement.

Riju took off on her sand seal and Link quickly followed suit. It was a lot harder than he honestly thought it was going to be. Seal surfing was definitely a talent and not something he possessed, drastically different from controlling a horse. Keeping up with Riju was a struggle. Link either went too fast or two slow which seemed to frustrate Riju who kept shouting at him not to wander off.

Easier said than done.

When they got close enough to Vah Naboris's shadow was when it become a much bigger problem. Here, within it's sight, was when keeping close to Riju became a much more important matter. He could see Vah Naboris focus on them, it formed a ring like a target around them and that target with Riju wearing the Thunder Helm, only seemed to be Link.

When he sped up to get close to the feet, breaking the train with Riju, was when the circle darkened and became much more threatening. Riju managed to swing up and save him the first few times, yelling again about wandering off, but the problem was with them trying to stay so closely knit together they weren't catching up quick enough to Vah Naboris. Link needed to be close, hitting from a distance on a sand seal was far from an easy task and if he missed too much, he'd run out of bomb arrows.

It was a frustrating process and a frustrated Link apparently made for a very reckless one. They had only taken out two feet, two of four and required two hits each to stop. He needed to get close, to make this easier, and so he decided if he was quick enough he could swing out, take the feet out and swing back into the circle before Vah Naboris hit him.

He managed, one shot on each hoof, and just before Riju caught up to him the lightning rang down from the sky and struck him like a pole. Riju caught him at the last moment, the circle forming around the both of them and Thunder Helm repelling off what had to at least be half the damage. What was done, was done though, and Link felt his body collapse like a puppet with its strings cut. He crumpled to the ground, body convulsing and a prickly feeling running around the tips of his skin. He heaved his breath, shaking and heart running in overdrive. It was frankly a terrifying feeling, endless seeming, and he wasn't sure he was going to get back up.

"You're alright Link, it's like an adrenaline shot, the feeling will wear off." Riju refrained from touching him, which he did appreciate, but he didn't believe her words for a second. His breath did eventually start to slow though and the shaking to his body seemed to edge off at least a little bit. He breathed slower, gathered himself up, and tried to push to a sitting position. As he slipped through the sand though Riju did take the chance to prop him up, the help was definitely needed. "Should we retreat for now?"

"No, I'm fine. We're almost there." He saw her press her lips together but overall her need to stop Vah Naboris won over Link's wellbeing. Carefully he got himself back up to his feet, steadied himself on the shield and took the sand seals reins. Riju seemed to take her job of keeping an eye on Link far more serious this time. She doubled her efforts in telling him not to wander off and tried harder to keep up. They took down the last two hooves in far less time than it took them for the other ones.

Vah Naboris stuttered when the last one was struck, stilling in the desert and then as they rushed to get out of the way crumbled to the ground. Link pulled the sand seal to a stop beside Riju as she shook her hair free from the Thunder Helm. She turned to Link and inclined her head. "Unfortunately, I cannot appease Vah Naboris on my own. I have no further choice but to entrust the rest to you."

"You know," he replied, looking over to her. "I can't do it on my own either." He looked back behind them and Riju followed his gaze, spotting Sheik making his way across the desert.

Riju gave a hum and turned back to Link. "You have a strong bond, do not take that for granted."

"I don't." He smiled at her and started making his way toward Vah Naboris, nodding his head toward Riju before running. He jumped on the platform as the Divine Beast started to stand and slid down, nearly tumbling right off of it. Fingers slipped into the belt on his tunic and Sheik hauld him back up, keeping a tight grip as Vah Naboris got their stance once again. The movement stopped temporarily and Sheik pulled him up toward the Terminal, taking the slate from the holster at his hip and taping the screen to it.

"Travel Gate registered to map."

"Are you alright?" Sheik turned and looked to Link, red gaze roaming over his body like he was looking for broken bones or gashes in him. Link frowned but instantly got distracted when a voice rang through his head. He spun, barely catching Sheik's look of irritation, and listened to Urbosa.

Well, well, well... You sure do know how to keep a woman waiting. I can't wait to see you take Naboris back from Ganon! One thing at a time. You'll need a map to find your way around. Head over to that Guidance Stone over there. Sounds easy, right?

"Well?"

"Lady Urbosa says hello." More or less. Link turned to look back at Sheik. He still had that same look on his face and Link frowned a bit, taking a step closer. "Did you see me get struck by Vah Naboris's lightning? Is that why you're worried?"

"What?" The word was hissed at him, his eyes now seeming to search Link's body with a renewed purpose. "No I couldn't see anything through the sandstorm this thing kicks up, I just saw it shooting the lightning. It sends it up into the sky and then it rains down like water."

Oh, was that what it did? Link didn't exactly get the chance to watch that. Quickly though he placed placaiting hand gestures up, attempting his best to reassure Sheik. "I'm fine, truly. It did get me good, but Riju caught up in time." Sheik didn't look that convinced but he let out a sigh and turned away.

"Not like we have much of a choice but to keep going. Try and be more careful." He could do that but he wasn't going to promise success. "There's a Guardian watching us, by the way."

Link spun around and blinked, indeed seeing the small guardian ahead that was just sitting there, docile and watching them. He took out his bow again, lined the shot up, and took it out with a single hit to the eye. With that done they started their next and final divine beast. He headed to the other end of the room and then climbed the steps, taking out the malice in the way.

They headed into a massive open room, what seemed to be the belly of Vah Naboris, and made their way across it. When they reached a certain point Sheik motioned upward and Link followed his gaze. "The Terminal is on the second level, we'll have to climb our way up." Like it was that easy he grasped a ledge and swung himself up, turning around and holding his hand down to Link. Once the both of them were on the ledge they made their way up to the Terminal and Sheik slipped it into place.

"Sheikah Slate authenticated. Distilling map of Divine Beast."

It popped back out and Link took it, standing close beside Sheik to look down at the controls. "I wonder, it seems like we can rotate the room we're standing in. What do you think that does?"

"If it sticks to the pattern of the others, it should mean we change how Vah Naboris walks. But I'm not sure how that's supposed to help us..."

Good work getting the map of the Divine Beast! The terminals that control Naboris are noted by a series of glowing points on your map. Take Naboris back by activating all the terminals! You're ready for this .

"Was Chief Urbosa helpful?"

"She said good luck."

"So that's a no. Well, no time like the present." Sheik picked the cylinder closest to them and rotated it twice. It faced a window opposite of where it was and he motioned for Link to stay put a second. "Just let me test something." He left him standing there and swung himself to the middle platform before exiting the window to the right. Link saw him pop back up inside the cage and it rotated again, once more. Sheik activated the terminal inside the cage and he knew this because Urbosa began the countdown.

When he appeared back by the central control station inside the main room Link made his way down over to him. "So, rotating these doesn't do much for Naboris but it does move them. I think the green currents on them will come into play at some point..." He motioned to the floor where one was and Link looked down.

"I've seen those in a few shrines, if we complete the circuit something should happen."

"Well, let's find out. One terminal down, four to go." They decided to activate the circuit. Sheik lined them up above them and created a straight green line. Once the room stopped spinning a wheel behind them began to spin.

"Do you think we want the giant hole in the middle of the wheel?" Sheik gave a nod and Link started for the first spinning hole in the wheel to ride. It spun them around to the top and Link stepped out, snapping the paraglider up to float himself down and right into the middle hole. Sheik swung himself in a moment later and landed beside Link.

At the end of the laser filled moving room was just a malice and a chest with a knights shield. Link gave Sheik the most unamused look he could before they returned back to the main room. This time when they rode the circles up they stepped out at the top to the head of the Vah Naboris.

"Hmm..." Link crossed his arms over his chest and looked at the rotating device. "All this Sheikah Technology and they still need me to do manual labor?"

There was a quiet, contemplative hum from beside him and Sheik walked past Link toward the head of Vah Naboris. "It's more fun for us to watch the Hero do manual labor."

Link blinked, turned his gaze slowly to his partner and felt a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "No, no. That's just a you thing, isn't it? You like watching me do strenuous things."

He watched Sheik pause, Sheikah slate still in his hands and then much to Link's surprise, turned to look back at him completely serious. "Perhaps I do like watching you work up a sweat." He is fairly certain his mouth hung open until Sheik turned back away. Link never felt more motivated to spin a crank in his entire life.

It wasn't quite as difficult as he thought it would be, the cross spun easily and it was just a matter of connecting the light bulbs to the circuit. Once he did that Vah Naboris raised her head up and Sheik rode the platform to the top where he activated the second terminal. When he came back down they returned to the main room and Sheik checked the map.

"There's still another terminal over here somehow. I think we need to ride the arches again, it seems to be beneath one of them." They rode one of the arches around and then dropped down onto the spinning ledge beneath them. Once they lined up they jumped their way over to the platform and activated the third terminal.

With another one checked off Sheik pulled the map on the Sheikah slate out and tried to figure out where the last two terminals were. This part Link was familiar with. As they made their way to the back of the Divine Beast there was a chain of circuits, much like he had done several times before in shrines. He connected them all together, watched it raise a platform that blocked their way and then broke the circuit again.

It was a timed game, which Sheik caught onto just as quickly as Link did. They stepped far across the platform, as much as the Sheikah slate would let them, and then Link completed the circuit again. As the platform rose they rushed to the top, climbed the stairs and then made their way across to another open room.

They took the platform in the middle of the room downward, Sheik picking off the malice that was around. Link took the opportunity to use magneses and pull an energy core over from a platform to them. When the platform went up again he activated a circuit on the second level and they made their way through the room in front of it to the next platform.

A guardian waited on the other side for them and Link took it out before riding that to the next level where they found the second to last terminal. Link activated it. They returned back to the platform and took it to the next level. Link grabbed the circuit sphere and carried that to the platform that was moving.

"I think we should drop down." Sheik turned, looked at him with a completely baffled expression. "Look down, there's a hole that drops into another room. If we skip the platform we can fall right into it, according to the map that's where the terminal is."

"Well, worst case scenario if you're wrong we just need to backtrack." Sheik shrugged and took a step off, falling straight down and through the hole. With carrying the ball Link had to carefully make his own way down, dropping it after Sheik and then falling through himself. Sheik had taken out two guardians, clearly the room and Link placed the ball in the circuit holder and activated the green line. "We need the other one. Stay here, I'll go get it real quick."

Link backtracked his way through the platforms, gathered the ball from the other room and then carried that back to where he had left Sheik. He dropped back down, placed the ball in the holder and then made his way up to activate the last terminal.

Urbosa rang through his head, and he pulled up the map looking to the glowing new point. Spinning he turned back to look down at Sheik. "Urbosa said we're ready, we just need to activate the main control unit."

Sheik frowned, eyebrows pinching together, and then looked at Link. "Are you sure you're ready?"

"What was that you said earlier?" He stepped his way back down, grinning at Sheik. "No time like the present, right?" Gently Link took Sheik's face in his hands, brushing his thumbs along the mask-covered cheeks before leaning up to press a kiss to Sheik's forehead. "Trust us a little. We've done this three times before."

A sigh fell from Sheik's lips and he nodded his head. "Alright, no time like the present."

They made their way back to the main room, a short walk that Sheik stuck very close to Link for. They rotated the room, until the terminal was face up again and then Link swung himself up to it. Sheik stayed below, far enough away that the blight wouldn't latch onto him. He gave a nod to his partner, got one in return and then turned to the terminal. A single tap of the Sheikah slate and just like all the other Divine Beasts calamity poured from it and gathered up behind Link. He spun around and got a good look at his next foe.

It carried an axe, single handed, and a shield on the left arm. What was weird about this one though was the way it's head seemed to twitch far more than the others did. Long hair falling down its back like the Gerudo's.

Be on your guard, Link! That formidable adversity was made by Ganon and brought me to a Warrior's demise a hundred years ago! Do not allow this to be your end! Fight for your life... and its death! This thing is fast, watch yourself!

It came right for him at that and Link rolled off of the ledge, dropping down to Sheik's side who was watching it cautiously. "You know, it reminds me of a redead, the twitching I mean."

"What's a redead?" As he asked the question the blight sped it's way at them. Link put his shield up at the last moment, blocking Sheik with his body. Daruk's protection kicked in at that moment, surrounding the two of them in a red sphere and blocking the attack from the blight. It knocked it down, destroying it's shield and Link took the chance to rush himself at it. He got a good few hits in before it vanished and appeared above them, creating a new shield. Well, that was an annoying ability.

"Link! You'll want to parry it's attacks!"

Well, it was a good thing that he and Sheik practiced that then. It came down to timing, which he managed to get with Daruk's protection taking the first couple hits. It did three visual movements, quick like Sheik moved, and on the third blur he needed to jump back. He counted in his head, the way that it moved and when he saw it shadow step for the third time he threw himself backwards, flipping in the air. The blight's sword slid through the air and Link quick stepped at it, swinging the Master Sword. He took out the shield, attacked the blight and knocked it down to the ground. With it stunned he threw himself at it, sword slashing at the blight until it vanished again.

It repeated the process again, Link now having nearly perfected this part of the fight, and taking it out with the Master Sword. It was going well, a bit too well considering Sheik didn't even need to help him, until the blight changed tactics.

Thunderblight vanished on the last hit and appeared next to the main control unit above them. It rained pillars down above them, blocking Link in. They were nearly as big as his entire body and when he moved to step back he felt himself collide with one. It was that moment the blight rained thunder down onto them and the electricity hit the pole he was against. It exploded and that same painful shock he felt before from Vah Naboris ran through his body. Link crumbled to the ground and he heard Sheik call for him, dodging through the pillars near him that exploded.

He got himself back up, with that same fighting strength that he somehow had before and gripped his sword. Somehow, even though he dropped everything else, the Master Sword seemed to never be something that left his body. He could work with that.

The blight appeared back down, shadow stepped again and Link moved out of the way on the third count. When he threw himself at the blight this time his sword connected with its body, which had covered itself in electricity, and essentially completed a circuit. The shock traveled up the sword, through his own body, and Link's own vision blacked out.

He's sure his body hit the ground, in fact he felt it, in the same moment that he felt his heart just--stop. There was a sharp ringing in his ears, sounds around him, but it felt muddled. Distant. Like he'd shoved his head underneath the pillows on his bed in Hateno Village. It was quite similar to the feeling he had after hitting the ground when the Lynel threw him off the mountain.

It was different too, because unlike then he was very much alert and where it was quite quick this felt--slow. Like his consciousness was fading and he wasn't cold. Considering he was struck by electricity, that didn't surprise him. At a point, that felt like hours later but was perhaps seconds at most, he felt his eyes close. Involuntarily as he knew he had to get up, that he couldn't leave Sheik to fight that blight alone. But he just couldn't keep his eyes open.

There was light, a bright whiteness that filled his vision and when Link blinked his gaze back open to that piercing brightness, he was standing in a very familiar place. Link turned, glanced around himself and then looked down, his reflection in the water peering back at him. When he lifted his head back up he was looking into the blue eyes of the Hero of Time.

"You have a very dedicated friend. This will be the second time she's saved your life." Mipha. He was talking about Mipha. Sheik had said she'd saved him when he hit the mountain edge from the Lynel and her power now--that meant he died. He died. Again.

"Sheik was worried this would happen." A sigh fell from his lips and Link turned his gaze away from the Hero. "I miscalculated."

"Electricity can be more deadly than the strongest of blades. Even the Master Sword cannot repel it's effects." He should have been more careful but he's not sure even that would have helped. He missed something.

Pressing his lips together Link lifted his gaze back to the Hero of Time. "I am alive, aren't I?"

"You are." Relief rushed through him and Link briefly closed his eyes before letting out a tense breath. "Though your friend could save your life, she cannot restart your brain. The electrical shock that you suffered that briefly stopped your heart cut the connection to your brain. As your body recovers and heals your brain will mend the damage. You'll wake up."

"But. I feel a but."

There's a grim smile that spreads across the Hero's face and he shakes his head. "It'll take some time. Less than it normally would thanks to the magic and the Master Sword." His gaze breaks from the Hero to the mentioned blade. "It sent your consciousness to this space to protect you. Had you not formed the connection between us with it, I fear you would have been lost to the darkness."

That was not reassuring. His gaze quickly snapped back up to the Hero and Link tightened his grip on the Master Sword. "Sheik--"

"Is still fighting. But he knows his limits, if he cannot win by his own means he'll retreat with your body." That was not what he wanted, by any means. Leaving Sheik to fight that thing alone--leaving Sheik alone in general was the worst thing he could have done and it was nearly permanente. He owed Mipha his life, he didn't deserve the devotion she had toward him. No matter what kind it was.

"Can we know if he's alright?" Desperately he looked back to the Hero and only grew more devastated when the man shook his head.

"My connection is to you, not Sheik. Take a seat, Link, I'll tell you a story while you wait and perhaps calm your restlessness." He really didn't want to, it was the last thing he wanted in the current moment, but with few other options he caved. Dropping to the ground he slid the sword into its sheath behind and rested his hands in his lap.

"Your next fight is Ganondorf and, as much as it is illuminating talking to you, I doubt any of us wish to repeat this again." The Hero sat down across from him and Link looked at his face. He wore a smile, which didn't reflect at all what Link was feeling or the conversation, it seemed oddly placed. "As you are now I cannot say if you'll manage or not. If it helps, never once in our fight did he use electricity." He really hoped that wasn't a joke.

"Ganon as a man fought me with a sword, it was combat much like you were experiencing earlier in this fight. And then, after I escaped with Princess Zelda from the castle he turned into something similar to what he is now. Curious, isn't it? Man, and then that." Whatever that was, neither of them seemed to have a word for it aside from pure evil. "A shadow cast in darkness is swallowed up by it. Do you know how to chase darkness, Link?"

"Light?" It seemed like the most obvious answer, yet his face still scrunched up in confusion half expecting this to be a trick.

"That's right, darkness is defeated by the light. It's why the Master Sword has always been used to defeat Ganondorf. It's made with light. And, the Princess helps too. Her magic is pure light." He leaned forward suddenly and grasped Link's left wrist, lifting his hand up. "And you carry light in you too. That is a story you'll have to get from Sheik." Link blinked, mouth falling open but forming no words. "You're waking up, stop scaring him."

The world he'd become comfortable in, even for those few minutes, faded away and darkness claimed his mind once again. When Link's consciousness returned to his body there wasn't any pain, no tingling sensation, but he was tired. Unbearably tired. Like that first time he connected to the Hero of Time. Somehow he managed to force his eyes open, gaze blinking blearily, to focus on the ceiling of Vah Naboris.

The second thing he registered was arms clenched tightly around him and his head pillowed on a very familiar surface. His eyes blinked again and when he shifted them this time he managed to find a head of blonde hair. Sheik had buried his face in Link's shoulder and was clinging onto him like a lifeline. The room was also quiet, no horrible screaming he'd become familiar with when fighting a blight.

Link swallowed roughly and reached his right hand up to awkwardly pat Sheik's head. The other didn't move but he knew Sheik was aware he was awake with the way his arms tightened even more. They laid there, silence falling amongst them. It wasn't comfortable, it was that silence where he knew Sheik was moments away from either breaking down or shutting down and he definitely didn't prefer the later.

"I hate you."

His voice was horse and Link knew it was either from him crying, screaming Link's name, or both. More than likely, both. He closed his eyes tightly and let out a sigh. "I know."

"You're horrible."

"I know."

"I might be reckless but I haven't died on you."

"I know." It physically hurt him the way Sheik's voice cracked on that word, the way his body trembled just having to admit that's what happened. He opened his eyes again and looked to the ceiling. "I'm sorry, Sheik."

He feels Sheik shake his head, the movement small and hardly one. "If you're sorry you won't do it again."

Link wanted to promise that, more than anything, but he knew where they were going next and that such a promise will be near impossible to keep. He'll fight with everything he had but sometimes--things like this happen. A single miscalculation is all it takes. "Sheik..."

"I know. Just don't say it. Just let me--let me think it. Even for a few minutes." So he does, he falls silent and he let's Sheik fill the space with whatever he needs. The silence this time isn't as uncomfortable, and it gives Sheik whatever strength he needs to gather himself. When it feels like he loosens his grip, is more aware of himself and that Link is fine, he brings up the subject they needed to discuss.

"Did you kill Thunderblight?" Since they were laying near the main control unit he assumed so.

"Mm." Sheik pulls back and Link gets a view of his red face, tears dried on his skin. He let's Link go and leans back against the terminal, looking anywhere but at him. "I used the Lyre. Apparently though it's shield could block your arrows it can't quite block my magic. Interesting, that. I should have tried it sooner, if I had--"

"Stop." Link sits up and grasps the terminal, using it to drag his body to his feet. "That was my screw up, not yours. And if we spend forever wondering what if, we'll never move past." Sheik wordlessly passes the Sheikah slate up, neither agreeing nor arguing with him. He'll take what he can get.

The Sheikah slate touches the terminal and it lights up blue. Like all the other times the spirit of the Champion appears and Urbosa stands a bit from him as a spirit. She walks down the steps and smiles at him.

"I knew you wouldn't let us down, Link. Though for a moment there, you nearly did. You have a very reliable friend." Her gaze slides from Link to Sheik and she inclines her head in greeting and what he assumes is appreciation. "Thanks to both of your valor and skill, my soul is now free and Naboris is now ours once again. Which means we can finally complete what we started years ago. We Gerudo have no tolerance for unfinished business."

Sheik let out a huff of air in a small laugh and Link looked down to him. He shook his head and sighed. "Sorry. That just reminds me of Nabooru... one of the older Gerudo Chief's. She made a promise to a child that she kept... even when the world was burning around her." He inclines his head back, bumping it against the terminal. "The Gerudo never change. You're very terrifying women, you know."

"I think that's the greatest compliment a Sheikah's ever given me. I might have misjudged your tribe when I was alive." Sheik hums but doesn't comment. Urbosa turned back to Link and nodded at him. "I've waited a long time for the moment I'll finally watch you rush Hyrule Castle. As well as the moment I'll incinerate Ganon into a pile of ash! Which reminds me, I want to give you a little something." She places her hand over her chest. "Please accept this gift that has come to be known as Urbosa's fury! It will no doubt be of use to you." She summons a ball of light and as she snaps her finger launches the yellow orb at Link.

Link absorbed it into his body and moving on instinct spun himself in a circle and snapped his fingers. Sheik flinched away as a ring of lightning flashed down around him, zapping everything. He'll have to make sure he's nowhere near Sheik ever if he uses that again. Looking back to Urbosa he nodded his head in thanks.

"Both you and the Princess... I know you have suffered much regarding what happened to us Champions. But this is how things had to happen. No one need carry blame. So please, make that clear so that she understands that. Tell her to shed any worries. And let her know... I couldn't be more proud of her. You take good care of the Princess." Her gaze slides to Sheik, light forming around the both of them. "And you, take good care of our Hero. Both of you are what's left for Hyrule."

The light took them away and Link found himself standing with Sheik. They lifted their heads up and spotted Vah Naboris, already on the move through the forest as Urbosa piloted it once again. Naboris took stands on top of a mountain that overlooked Gerudo Town and like the other Divine Beasts before it readied it's aim at the Castle. Four beams of light now aimed into it, finishing the task that Link had set before him in preparations for his fight against Calamity Ganon.

He went to take a step forward and stumbled, arm caught by Sheik who pinned him with a worried gaze. He shook his head to assure him that it's fine and tried to listen to the Princess.

Link. Thanks to you all the Divine Beasts have returned to us and the spirits of the Champions are free. We will all be waiting for your clash with Ganon at Hyrule Castle.

"Princess Zelda said she's ready, as are the Champions, they're waiting for me."

"How nice of her. Well, she waited a hundred years, what's a few days more." Sheik pulled Link back up and once he was sure Link had his balance, he let go. "You need rest. I need rest. And we need to prepare. There's no need to rush right off, we've done well timewise." He wanted to agree but he remembered all too well the desperate sound of Zelda's voice pleading for him to help her, that she was running out of strength.

"Link." He turned, glancing up at Sheik. "I know the power she has, she'll be alright. You just saw what happens when you're unprepared. I won't go there unprepared for Ganondorf." Oh.

He won't put Sheik through that again. "You're right. We should tell Riju that Naboris is free." He tries for a smile but it falls short, guilt clenching in his gut over the thought of what he just put Sheik through. Was Sheik even alright? Surely fighting Thunderblight after he passed out wasn't easy. Despite wanting to ask, he didn't get a chance, Sheik was already walking off through the town.

They might not stop Sheik but Link rushed off to go get changed behind the shrine into the Vai clothes. He caught up to Sheik and together they made their way into the Chief's Palace. Riju spotted them and leaned forward in her chair, shock raiding from her body and face. "Oh, you're back!?" He nodded and she relaxed back into the chair. "I'm glad you're okay. Truly, I am. Nabris is no longer a threat to the town. I'm still worried about the larger threat to Hyrule, but at least my people won't be troubled by Naboris anymore. I want to offer you these as thanks for your help. I trust you'll accept them. These pieces of equipment are priceless treasures of the Gerudo people. They were once worn by Lady Urbosa. Since you and Lady Urbosa were friends, it's only right that you have them."

Link nodded and moved to the chests, pushing them open and collecting the sword and shield inside. He'd hang them with the other Champions weapons in the house. He returned to Sheik's side who had pulled out the Sheikah slate and had the shrine in Hateno up. He checked that Link was ready before taking his hand in his own and clicking teleport. The magic rushed through them and pulled them from the hot desert to the comfortable and modest temperature of Hateno Village.

They walked the path back to the house, Sheik clearly carrying more of his weight on his left side. It was more noticeable the longer Link watched him and it was quite worrying. He of course figured Sheik didn't escape that battle unscathed but he wasn't sure how hurt Sheik was. Now it seemed to be more than he thought. They reached the house and Sheik let them in before shutting and locking the door. Hidden behind the quiet and safe space they created he watched his partners shoulder slump in exhaustion and defeat, head bumping against the wood of their front door.

Link slipped his weapons off of his body, resting them in the corner. The gauntlet and gloves came next, dropped onto the table and he carefully approached Sheik. "Did you get hurt?" Sheik hummed in reply which really didn't answer anything for Link. "Sheik?"

"I'm alright." That was not an appropriate answer and Link frowned at him. "I need to bathe." He sighed and pushed off from the door, taking a moment to gather himself before turning and heading further into the house.

Link, determined, followed after him. "Should we talk? I feel like we should talk about what happened." The Sheikah shook his head and Link followed him right into the bathroom. He caught the other's wrist, pulling him to a stop. Their bodies in the small space of the bathroom pressed against each other and Link leaned forward till his forehead pressed into the space between Sheik's shoulder blades. "I'm sorry."

Sheik didn't reply right away but he didn't try to move away either. He let Link hang onto him, both his hands now grasping Sheik's forearms and keeping him locked in place. "I know." The reply when it came was quiet, the vibration of his mumbling voice felt through his body where Link was pressed against him. "You told me. It just doesn't take away the fact that you were a corpse for that moment of time." And Link knows that, he does, and if the situation was reversed he'd be inconsolable.

He squeezed Sheik's forearms and took a breath, gathering his courage and keeping the other close at the same time. Trying to anchor him to the fact that Link was alive, here, right now. "I came back." He tries, hearing his own voice crack in desperation for Sheik to listen.

"And the next time? What happens if you can't? Mipha can't save you every single time." His body tenses and Link squeezed him again to remind Sheik he was still right here. "You're not immortal. You're not invulnerable. I want to protect you but how can I protect you from yourself?"

He couldn't, Link needed to stop running around like he could overcome anything through sheer force of will. He needed better strategies and he would work on that before they rushed Hyrule Castle. He won't run in blind, he won't swing the Master Sword around like it was the answer to all his problems. Which is what he leads for in reply. "I'll let you make the war plan. We'll do better. Will fight together and not blindly." He feels Sheik hum more than hears it and a slow deep breath leaves the other.

"Okay." It wasn't much, Sheik definitely still wasn't okay, but he was better and that was the most they could run with right now. Link went to pull away when he heard Sheik speak again. "Do you want to take a bath with me?"

The tub Bulson built them was definitely designed for this purpose. Sheik and Link fit in it perfectly together. There was enough space for the both of them so that they weren't crowded together. Currently Link was seated in Sheik's lap, legs on either side of his hips as he tried to treat where he had gotten injured on his side. Thunderblight had hit Sheik on the right side with it's Axe, trying to stop him from playing music. The Axe had cut deep into his hip when Sheik twisted to avoid the hit. It didn't look too bad now and there was little he could do in the tub. He was glad to see it wasn't too bad and slowly healing. Sheik said the electricity did more damage than the gash.

Link turned and carefully leaned back against Sheik's chest, careful to keep from putting too much pressure on Sheik's wound. Sheik leaned forward and rested his forehead on Link's shoulder, arms wrapped loosely around his waist. Link took his right hand in both of his own and started to trace the palm of Sheik's hand.

"You know when I passed out," it was easier to say than 'died', "I saw the Hero of Time." He felt Sheik frown into his skin, lips thinning. "He said the Master Sword was protecting my consciousness."

"Not a terrible theory but it would have more to do with your soul than your mind. Though I suppose it could have been a mix of both. The Master Sword is an extension of yourself, mind, body and soul." He sighs and turns his head to the side, lips dragging across Link's shoulder. "I assume by putting you in the space between this world and the next, where the Hero resides, it keeps your soul safe which preserves your mind until your body was recovered enough."

Link, still confused, nodded regardless. "He told me a story. Of how he defeated Ganon with light. He said to ask you about how that works. How I have light."

At this Sheik picks his head up entirely and leans back against the tub edge. His eyes were still closed but when Link turns his body Sheik blinked his gaze open to look at him. "Let me see your hand." He blinks and then lifts both his hands up. Sheik takes the left one and holds it in his right, his own left hand moving to cover the back of Link's own. There's a pause, a moment of nothing and then Link feels a pulse of cold air rush inside his arm. He flinches, shudders and Sheik tightens his grip. After a moment he pulls his hand away and Link looks at his skin.

There, on the back of his hand, was the faint outline of a Triforce. The lower right part of it on his skin glowed while the rest stayed a faded dull gold. "What--"

"You are the embodiment of the Triforce of Courage." Link opened his mouth, questions forming on the tip of his tongue that wouldn't come out. "Princess Zelda carries the Triforce of Wisdom which lets her do what she is currently doing and Ganon is the Triforce of Power."

That... was a lot to swallow. The mark Sheik made slowly vanished and he was left staring at the back of his bare hand. "I--I'm not sure what to do with this information."

Sheik shook his head and leaned forward, arms once again wrapping around Link's waist. Link turned back again and pressed himself into Sheik, the other's face once again burying itself in his neck. "It just means you're Farore's chosen Hero. It gives you the power to fight Ganon. To wield the Master Sword. Ganon wants the piece of the Triforce you hold as much as he wants Princess Zelda's. With the complete Triforce he gets to make a wish that the Goddesses must fulfil and is said to last until that person dies."

"Huh." Link blinked at the back of his hand. "I'm not sure that's a very good system it has going on." Sheik laughed into his shoulder and shook his head, arms tightening around Link. "I mean if anyone can wish for anything regardless of their intentions, that's a pretty big problem."

"I suppose so. Which is why we protect it." They didn't seem to be doing that great a job if Ganon keeps returning but he'll keep that to himself.

They fall quiet after that, comfortable with each other and in the tub. Sheik held Link close, never letting him more than a few inches away even when Link moved to wash himself. Eventually as the water grew cold they dragged themselves from the water and dried off. Sheik threw a shirt and boxers on while Link dressed in the usual spare clothes he had. They made their way upstairs toward the bed, Master Sword placed beside it like always. Sheik climbed in first, getting comfortable beneath the window and Link sat on the edge.

"You know, you never told me what a redead is."

Sheik hummed and leaned against the wall, looking up through the window at the stars. "They're enemies I fought, human corpse-like monsters. They're tall, skeleton thin, with dead black eyes and dried leathery skin. They usually stand in one place and use a petrifying gaze to freeze nearby intruders in their tracks. While their prey is stunned, they will walk over and attack." Well, that sounded horrifying.

"If I wasn't going to have a nightmare before, I might now. I'm truly glad I've never had to see one of those."

"They're quite prominent in the Shadow Temple." That didn't surprise him in the least from what he learned of that place.

Link leaned back and dropped his head onto Sheik's lap. He looked up at the other and smiled at him, hands reaching for Sheik's face. "Lay down in bed with me." Sheik smiled, soft and gentle, before nodding his head.

"Alright, Link." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.4K 3.2K 27
The story contains cussing, violence, sensitive topic and mature content do read it at your own risk, if you don't like reading books like these than...
140K 3.8K 200
Before you walk into this book, I suggest you carry a bible and some holy water. Also, tissues and some food... "Time to smash it!" - Harry. starte...
155 82 30
There are many ways to see the Worlds To visit lands unknown Many paths one might take Some with wills of their very own Our tale begins with one suc...