An Ancient Bond.

By InuVampireChan

Link breaks the Sheikah slate and following Impa's guidance seeks out the advice of one of his ancestors. More

Prologue.
Zora's Domain.
Divine Beast Vah Ruta.
Travel.
Vah Medoh.
Great Forest of Hyrule.
Death Mountain.
Vah Rudania
Well Deserved Rest
Yiga Clan Hideout
Vah Naboris
Interlude
Forever.

Gerudo Desert

25 0 0
By InuVampireChan

   They started the next day at Tabantha Bridge Stable. It was the closest they could get to the Mountains that bordered the desert. From the looks of what they could see of the map, which wasn't much considering they were missing what looked like possibly two tower maps, they had a long way to go. Not even a horse would help them this time considering they were going right into the Mountains. Not that Blueberry would appreciate being taken to a desert anyway, she liked the heat about just as much as he did.

"If you haven't figured it out already, we're going to be climbing. A lot." Sheik was fooling around on the slate as he walked, seeming to try and get around a setting as he moved. Whatever he was doing was lost on Link, it was talking in Shaikah again. "Unlike Death Mountain there won't be a direct path to where we need to go. Which is unfortunate." He clicked something on the slate and it gave a loud beep.

Link leaned close and bumped his shoulder into Sheik's side. "What are you doing to that thing?"

"Trying to see if I can get any sort of idea where we should go. I probably could if we went to a Tower but... that would mean backtracking and I'd rather keep going forward." So the idea of wandering around a desert without any sort of direction was bothering Sheik. He should have figured it was going to before they even left Hateno, he seemed tense and annoyed. At least that meant what was bothering him wasn't Link's fault, just his own control issues.

He gave a huff and leaned back away from Sheik, smiling at his partner. "Relax, since we're climbing a mountain we'll be able to see easily which direction is the proper one. You know that, right?"

"I do..." he still frowned and continued to play with the Sheikah Slate.

Shaking his head, Link continued to look forward, sticking to the road that ideally should lead them right to the base of the mountains. As they reached a crossroad Link slowed his pace and blinked at a passing traveler. It was the white hair that drew his attention, something that he only saw in Kakariko. But, they didn't look like a Shaikah. He slowed to a stop, wandered away from Sheik's side and waved his hand.

"Good evening."

"Oh, do you know which way Gerudo Town is?"

"No, but we're headed toward the desert. I can direct you there?"

"What luck! Thank you! Now, if you wouldn't mind, hand over--" Sheik's hand closed around Link's forearm and yanked him back as the traveler leaped for him, "your life!" As Link crashed into Sheik's chest the woman he was talking to stood back up, dressed from head to toe in the familiar red of the Yiga armor.

A bomb was summoned from the Sheikah Slate and Sheik threw it at the Yiga, who blindly seemed to catch it with a sound of confusion. Sheik tapped the slate and it went off, throwing the Yiga back into a tree. They crashed to the ground, mask cracking and a pained sound leaving their throat.

As Sheik started to approach, Lyre held in his hands. He paused just slightly as the mask crumbled away and a very human face Link was looking at moments ago glared up at him. "Master Kohga knows about you. He knows what you are too. The Hero doesn't deserve your power and loyalty! Just you wait, Ancient Sheikah! Master Kohga will gain your power!"

They vanished, the same way that they always appear, and the both of them were left staring at a bundle of bananas left behind. Silence lapsed for a few minutes, both of them equally lost in their thoughts. Link pressed his lips together and turned his head toward Sheik who suddenly sighed.

"Someone will have to tell Impa there's a spy in Kakariko."

"That's what you got out of that?" Frowning Link chased after Sheik who had already begun walking down the path once more. "Sheik, that was a pretty big claim from them. We should be worried."

"Not particularly, they're not the strongest Warriors. In mass numbers they might be a threat, but I took that one out with a single bomb." He shrugged in dismissal. "Besides, a spy in Kakariko isn't exactly something light. That's a threat to an entire Village, a Village that had given up its power. They'll be slaughtered before they even get a chance to scream. Even by people as pathetic as the Yiga."

He had a point, and Link was concerned for Kakariko and would send a letter, but he trusted Impa to protect her people and know what was going on. "I'm still worried about you." What did they even mean by taking his power? Were they referring to the magic? Hopefully they didn't need to go anywhere near the Yiga Clan.

"Hey, the mountain's up ahead."

Indeed it was and Link hurried up to reach it with Sheik. The mountain was quite large but there were enough rigids in the side of it that would allow Link to briefly pause and catch his breath before needing to climb up once again. The further up they went the colder it began to get and the more snow began to gather. They reached the top of the mountain and Link pulled himself up over the growing snow, gloves soaked and his fingers burning in pain from digging through the snow to find grip. He flexed his freezing hands, shuddered from the chill and wrapped his arms around himself.

"What happened to the desert?" He accused, glancing over at Sheik who was brushing snow off of his Lyre.

"We're too high up and far from the desert still. If we climb back down, the snow will vanish. Here, come closer." Shuffling through the pack, Sheik pulled out the Snowquill headdress from Link's own bag and started to do his hair up with it. The heat from the crystals did help but he was still freezing. He ended up shaking out the Snowquill Tunic and sliding it on, hands already feeling warmer.

Before they started moving again Link pulled Sheik's cloak from his bag and threw it around the other's shoulders, tying it in place. He had grabbed it before they left, a force of habit from wanting to be prepared. Sheik might pretend he's not cold but Link had felt his fingers, they were freezing.

"Thank you." Link nodded and placed a kiss on Sheik's cheek before they continued on.

The area they had reached seemed divided, there was a large break in the mountain that continued over on the other side. Almost like a tear in the side of the mountain. Weirdly enough in the distance Link could spot what looked like a giant stone sword, making him wonder if whatever was here was part of a statue, but nothing else he saw supported that theory.

As they continued around the giant crater in the middle of the mountain, his feet were dropping in the snow and making it difficult to move well. Sheik didn't sink nearly as much as Link did he noticed, where it sunk him to nearly his calves and tripped him, Sheik could still walk easier.

Suddenly the sound of stomping drew Link's attention and his eyes widened at the sight of a Lynel rushing it's way at them. It had a two handed axe in its hands, running at them and kicking snow up like it was just dust. Link's heart stilled in his chest before it began hammering away. "Run!" He diverted himself from Sheik, running across the snow covered ground as best he could. The Lynel missed it's attack and he spun around, spotting Sheik on the other side of the field with a Dirk in his hand. Their gazes met and it was equally decided they needed to escape this fight.

Running from this fight however wasn't going to be easy, Lynel's had long reach and Link could barely move through all this snow. Figuring at the very least they'd have to fight as they tried to escape in order to survive, he pulled the Master Sword and a shield from his back. He spun the sword around, took a deep breath, and then began running as best he could.

Sheik clearly wasn't in agreement with this entire plan, he shook his head several times before Link could no longer focus on him, lest he get himself killed. He slid through the snow and swung the Master Sword up, slashing at the underside of the Lynel before climbing to his feet again. The Lynel spun around with a quicker reaction time than he expected and swung it's Axe at Link.

He felt it cut across his chest, like he was simply made of paper and his armor mattered very little. It dug into his skin, ripped his armor open and threw him at the same time. Like he weighed nothing. Link hit the ground with a hard smack, snow and rocks digging into his body. He rolled across the ground, bounced over the edge of the rig they'd noticed before and slid right off the edge of the mountain.

Link felt himself hit a ledge that was sticking out, his arm making a horrible cracking sound. The pain that spread through his body was burning and excruciating, the worst kind that he had ever experienced.

Before he hit the ground he swore he heard Mipha's voice, telling him that he'd be alright.

Honestly, he had no idea how long he laid on the ground for. There seemed to be a lack of coherence and understanding in his current situation. Just the dull feeling of pain and awareness of his general surroundings. The hard ground and cold temperature. A soft thud beside him told him someone had joined him on the ground and a set of hands grasped his shoulders to force him into a sitting position. Link was certain he let out a sharp cry of pain and tried to curl more in on himself but was stopped.

"It's still hunting us, hang on." Sheik, he could hear Sheik, but his body hurt far too much to open his eyes. "There's a shrine around here, I have an idea." The hands let him go and Link felt his bow tugged from off of his back. When he laid back down on the ground he forced himself to open his eyes, spotting Sheik kneeling beside him and aiming upward with a shock arrow.

His gaze drifted to the mountain beside them and he watched Sheik let the arrow fly through the air to hit the center of a drawing. It was a strange painting, lighting bolts and arrows pointing to a single center. Sheik's arrow landed true and the orange glow at the center of the artwork changed to a soft blue. He lowered the bow back down and slid it on to his own shoulder as the Earth began to shake beneath Link.

"I'm sorry, but this is going to hurt." With a lack of gentleness and rushed motions Sheik dragged Link into his arms and picked him up. Apparently what Link missed in his hazed state was that the Lynel was still firing arrows down at them from where it prawled on top of the Mountain. Sheik dodged a few, the others landing in various places across his arms and shoulders before he ducked inside the shrine. He tapped the Sheikah Slate to the terminal and the shrine lit up before lowering them down inside the safety of it.

They reached the bottom and Sheik sat Link down, propping him up by the shoulder. Link forced his eyes open once more and blinked at the pool of water. The Sheikah Monk he'd become familiar with in it's shrine spoke to them.

"To you who sets foot in this shrine... I am Keeha Yoog. By entering this place you have already proven your worth."

Sheik either didn't hear the voice that spoke in the Shrine or ignored them. Either way he helped Link back up and carried him to the first platform before the Monk. He sat Link down, propped up against the chest and then sat beside him with his Lyre out. "You're healing already, very quickly at that too. When you hit the mountain side I saw the form of that Zora Princess we saved. I think she healed you." He pauses here and presses his lips together. "But then you smacked into the ground."

He thinks he nods, he's not entirely sure.

"I'm going to play for you, I'm not sure if it'll do anything but the Song of Healing should at least boost her magic." Sheik, he notices, can stay very calm in the face of what is probably something terrifying. He spoke matter of factly and held his head high, face void of any sort of emotion. Almost like he was purposely shutting himself down to keep himself calm and focused on a plan. Like he did when talking about the Hero of Time. They were going to need to talk about this.

Sheik started to play and Link shifted against the treasure chest, closing his eyes and listening to the music. He must have fallen asleep, because the next thing he knew he opened his eyes to the blue misty light that always encased the shrines and a dull ache in his neck. The sound of music still filled the shrine, the haunting tune of the Song of Healing. He closed his eyes again, breathed deeply and then opened them once more. His body felt alright, tense and achy, but better than when he thought his guts were falling out of him.

Carefully he sat up and reached behind his head, rubbing the sore indent that the chest left on him. Looking around he spotted the monk, the lights and then Sheik. His gaze fell to Sheik's fingers that still plucked at his instrument and seemed to have the briefest bit of a tremble to them.

"Sheik?"

The song cut off and the Sheikah's red gaze focused in on his face. "You're awake, good. I thought..." he let out a breath and placed the Lyre down on his lap. "How do you feel?"

He shifted on the ground and twisted his body. No horrible pain, just that dull ache. "I'm okay now, just feel like I ran a marathon."

"I see." Sheik moved closer and reached his hands out, gently pulling the Snowquill Tunic up and looking at Link's stomach. He ran the tips of his fingers across the skin and Link definitely felt the tremble in them at his touch. Even his fingers felt raw and rough, more than normal. How long had he been playing for? The tunic was lowered back down and Sheik blinked.

"I can stitch your tunic back together, mend the rip in it. Thankfully the cut on your stomach is gone. Link," he lifted his gaze up and locked it with Link's own. "Mipha saves you once if your life is at the risk of ending. It takes a day for her magic to reset." A slow blink and Sheik inhales deeply. "What I'm saying is, you came inches from dying today. Inches. You broke more bones in your body hitting the ground than when the Lynel smacked you. I couldn't--" he shakes his head and grips the Lyre once more, gaze focused on the ground. "If Mipha's magic wasn't still circling through your body, you would have been lucky to come back from that."

That sounded pretty bad, which made sense considering how much pain he remembered being in. He can even recall the feeling of his body smacking into the ledge that first time. How he bounced off of it and continued to fall. It was terrifying, that feeling of falling and being unable to move to catch yourself. He closed his eyes and let out a breath of air before opening his gaze back up to look at Sheik. Now that he took in the others' appearance, Sheik didn't seem much better off than him.

His uniform was ripped in several places, dark spots that had formed clearly indicated he had bled a good bit. The bigger evidence of that though was the pile of bloody arrows sitting beside the warrior and the dried bits of it tangled in his hair. Somehow he had gotten around the Lynel, down the mountain and saved Link. All the while activating a Shrine. Link was worried how much he let himself get shot to do that.

Sitting forward he reached his hands out, took Sheik's in his own and tugged the other toward him. "Are you alright?" Sheik glared at him and Link shook his head. "I'm not ignoring you and I heard what you said. But I'm alright now so I'm asking, how are you?"

"I'm fine." He's not, he's lying, and Link frowns more.

"Sheik!" Tugging harder he gets the other to meet his gaze. "Don't shut me out."

Eyes squeezed shut, Sheik hung his head and leaned forward until it bumped against Link's shoulder. He didn't say anything but Link could feel the shake to his body and feel the way his grip tightened on their joint hands. He lets the silence fall between them and gave Sheik that moment he needed. To just feel that Link was alive, breathing and heart beating like normal. They sat there, just taking in each other's presence and though Link thought Sheik fell asleep at some point he doubted it.

After a while Sheik sat up off of him and rubbed his puffy and red-rimmed eyes. He blinked a few times and then let out a quick breath before looking at Link. "You were asleep for a full day, by the way. It took awhile for your body to heal." That wasn't great news and Link's eyes widened.

"Well, I guess it's better than sleeping for another hundred years."

"True." Sheik smiles here but it seems weaker, less full of it's usual humor. "But it means we should get going."

"Yeah, just--Sheik." Link reached out and caught the others hands before he stood up, dragging him back down to sit across from him. "I need to know you're alright. I'm not--you have to know I'm not invincible. We're fighting here, we're bound to get hurt. The further we go on the more likely it is that we'll get hurt." He squeezed Sheik's hands and pulled him closer. "You worry for me and I will worry for you. The most we can do is help each other."

Like a string cut, Sheik's body seemed to deflate in on itself and he nodded his head slowly, gaze focused on his lap. "I know, I just... I guess I got scared." Of course he did, had the situation been reversed Link would have lost his mind probably. Not handled it nearly as well as he did. "I want you to be alright. I want to protect you."

"I know, and I want the same too." Link smiles and pulls Sheik closer, leaning up to press a kiss to Sheik's forehead. "We'll be alright so long as we have each other. I'll be more careful too, as long as you take care of yourself."

"Okay." Sheik leans down and places his head in Link's lap, closing his eyes. His arms looped around Link's waist and clung to him, their small temporary safe place putting him briefly at peace it seemed. He fell asleep like that and Link didn't have the heart to wake him, especially if he spent that long playing the Song of Healing for Link. He did take advantage of the position to undo the braid in Sheik's hair and try to clean it up a bit. Sheik seemed so exhausted he didn't even twitch at Link's menstrations.

Link got his hair cleaned up as well as he could and then braided it to the best of his ability. Somehow through sheer will, trial and error he got the weight back into it at the end too, it was far from easy. He watched Sheik as he slept, fingers brushing across the other's face and smoothing the crease in his brows. At some point he even pulled the mask down to look properly at Sheik's face. He looked so tired.

A few hours passed and Sheik stirred, eyes blinking open and unfocused. Slowly he sat up and rubbed his face before looking at Link.

"Welcome back." Link smiled brightly and leaned forward, placing a kiss to Sheik's lips before standing up. Offering a hand out, Sheik took it and he pulled the other up. "You were quite tired so I let you sleep as long as I could. We should probably get going though." He got a nod and Sheik looked up to the Sheikah Monk.

"Then, you should get the Spirit Orb."

"Have you met a Sheikah Monk?" Link made his way up the steps and glanced back to Sheik who was frowning. After a moment of thought he shook his head a few times. "I was told they were devoted followers of the Goddess Hylia who have been blessed by Hylia herself." Sheik stepped up beside him and looked to the Monk before back to him. "As the monks have the Sheikah crest tattooed to their forehead, it is implied that they all come from long Sheikah lineages as it is customary for Sheikah with such lineages to have the crest tattooed on their forehead, at least according to Paya."

"That must be a newer thing." Sheik hummed thoughtfully. "Or newer for me, anyway. Suppose ten thousand years for them isn't new." A brief shrug and his gaze finds Link's. "It was custom to get the Eye of Truth tattooed on you somewhere, but not the forehead. My mother had hers tattooed on her back, all of it." His hand reached up and Sheik covered his chest over his heart. "And I got it on my chest. Now though it makes sense why I saw your Impa and Paya with it on their forehead."

He was always fascinated to learn more from Sheik. It always gave him insight into how Sheik thought and how things changed. Turning to the Monk he reached his hand out and placed his palm over the blue barrier. It cracked then burst into shards just like all the others. "You have done well to arrive at this place. A hero rises to right the wrongs in Hyrule. In the name of the Goddess Hylia, I bestow upon you this Spirit Orb."

They were teleported back outside the Shrine and Sheik instantly looked up, searching for the Lynel. After so long it had clearly given up and Sheik turned his gaze back to the distance. "Alright, we need to avoid that monster as much as possible. I suppose we should keep going that way." They started South East and Link pulled Sheik close to use Revali's Gale to get over that part of the mountain.

From there they continued forward, over the Mountain Top until Sheik spotted a tower in the distance. They rushed to the edge of the mountain, looked down, and frowned. "I could paraglide." Link voted, looking over to Sheik who frowned more.

"It's so far though, if you jump and Paraglide you might make it. But with me weighing you down you won't. Even your strength isn't unlimited no matter how much you trust that flimsy paper." Though it was a fair point to make, Link preferred trying and having to continue to climb, than not trying at all. Tapping his chin he thought for a few minutes and then started digging through his pack.

"What if we have some stamina elixirs?" He pulls out a green vial and holds it up for Sheik to see. "Even at least one of these will carry us most of the way if not all of it. Come on, have some faith. We're already high above it, with Revali's Gale will be even more."

Sheik relented and moved close to Link, sliding his arms around his neck and pulling him close. Link, needing both hands for a flight this long, made sure his partner had a good hold. He tapped into the power Revali gifted him and then with a breath held pushed the both of them into the air. They ended up breaking the flight up, much to Sheik's hatred. They landed on the next mountain top over, walked to the edge of it and then Paraglided to the next area. It was the easiest way than dragging out the long flight. The next mountain that overlooked the tower was the one that Link would need to consume the potion with.

He gave the potion to Sheik who held it in his hand and then looped his arms around Link's neck. He flexed his arms, made sure he was good, and then tapped into the last burst of Revali's Gale. It tossed them up in the air and Link shook the paraglider out, soaring down. Sheik's added weight did make things difficult but it was far from that challenging. They fell faster and he tired quicker but this was easier than the alternative method. When they got about halfway Sheik bit the top of the stamina Elixir off the bottle. To get the bottle to Link's mouth he either had to let go of Link or find a different method.

Apparently it was decided letting go was not an option. Sheik leaned over Link's shoulder and with the awkward angle tilted the bottle into his own mouth. Then, with the potion held there he nudged Link's head down to push their lips together.

This was by far the most enjoyable method of taking a potion he ever had. Link sucked the liquid from Sheik's mouth, swallowed it down and then pulled back, looking for the direction of the tower and carrying them down to it. They landed inside to the sound of Kass playing and Sheik took the slate from him to activate the tower. The tower lit up blue, dropped the update of the map and then Sheik took the slate back. "We can see Gerudo Town from here, no need to go looking for it."

Link nodded and stepped up beside Kass, looking down and spotting what was indeed a Town. He turned his gaze from that to their Rito friend. "Hey Kass."

"What if... no, but then... hmm?" He turned and looked down to them. "Mm? Ah, forgive me. I was lost in a song written by my late teacher. He wrote it for the hero who fell to the Calamity one hundred years ago." Link tensed and Sheik grasped his wrist, tugging him closer to his side. "So much time has passed, and yet the hero has not returned. But my teacher always kept faith. I hope to play the song for the hero someday, so I practice it often. Oh, forgive me. It seems I've prattled on... I know a song about this place. Would you like to hear the ancient verse passed down in this region?"

Actually, he'd like to hear the other song but at the same time he's not sure he does. It's a torn feeling, the same he gets over not remembering anything. Link holds his breath and Sheik answers for him. "Let's hear it, see if I need to correct you again." Despite the harsh sound to his words, Kass smiles.

"I'll hold you to it, as a fellow musician." He adjusts his accordian in his hands. "Without further ado... " He begins to play. It's short, only a few verses. Nothing compared to what Link usually hears him play. "As light shines down from the northwest skies. From the tower's shadow an arrow flies. Pierce heaven's light to reveal the prize." It reminds Link of what Sheik had done with the shock arrow. When he finished playing he wished them luck and turned back to playing his other songs.

"It's another hint for a shrine, we'll worry about it later. We can warp to the tower now and that's more vital than a shrine." Sheik moved away from Kass and looked out over to the Gerudo Town in the distance. "Do you think you can paraglide us down to the ledge there that overlooks the town and the Divine Beast?"

"Sure, though we might be cutting it close." Link moves up to Sheik and lets the other grab on around his neck before jumping off the tower. They fall quickly but thankfully didn't need to go far, just get over where Gerudo Tower drops down into a long ditch. They land on the Mountain below and walk to the edge. "So, we should climb down from here and walk across the desert to Gerudo Town?" Sheik nodded in agreement to this plan and together the two of them climbed down the mountain.

Like Sheik had said, the desert was hot. They ended up stripping partway and Link dragged on his Hylian Tunic while tossing both their cloaks into his bag. He put his hair up in a bun and tightened the gift necklace Sheik made him. The necklace actually helped reduce some of the temperature around him which he was glad for, he didn't feel like he might pass out from heat stroke walking across the desert.

They fought the occasional Lizalfos along the way and Sheik pointed out the Divine Beast to the side of them. It paraded around the desert, crying out and stomping. It was actually quite intimidating and terrifying if Link was honest, he didn't enjoy the idea of having to get close to that. It reminded him of Vah Rudania though, and that made him glad he never got this close to the Divine Beast.

Before long they reached the Town and Link made his way up to one of the guards. She was... very tall. Very. Perhaps nearly as tall as Prince Sidon had been. She looked down at him and Link felt like his neck might break looking back up at her.

"Sav'otta. Wait a... you're a voe! Voe are forbidden here in Gerudo Town. Only vai are allowed inside!"

Link frowned. "Voe...?"

"Voe is the Gerudo word for male." Sheik supplied, folding his arms across his chest. "Vai means woman."

"Your friend is correct. All voe must leave at once. You can wait here, for your friend." Link could feel Sheik tense beside him and before the Sheikah could begin to argue he grasped his wrist and yanked him over toward the shrine beside the town. Link stepped up and activated the terminal before looking to Sheik.

"She thought I was--"

"A woman, yes. It's probably the hair and how much of your body you cover up." Sheik didn't seem at all comforted by his words. Turning Link looked to the shrine before back to Sheik. "Wait here for me, see if you can find a way in. I'll go finish the shrine quickly." Sheik nodded, a very numb and slow nod, apparently still dazed at what just happened. Link vanished down inside the shrine.

Collecting the spirit orb was done quickly and when he returned back up he found Sheik sitting against it, plucking away at the Lyre. He made his way over and sat beside him, looking out across the desert. "Did you learn anything?"

"Things I already know. Gerudo Town is very traditional. Voe are not permitted entry and they honor that tradition very strictly. I was directed to Kara Kara Bazaar at the base of Gerudo Town, a small settlement that has shops for travelers that can't get inside Gerudo Town." He sets the Lyre down and Link notices he's frowning. "I heard from a creepy man walking around that there was someone down there who managed to sneak into Gerudo Town."

"Well, it's somewhere to start." Link stood and helped Sheik up before beginning the walk back down the way that they had come. Thankfully the Bazaar wasn't that far away, they had actually walked right past it when heading to Gerudo Town. When they reached the settlement Sheik pointed to one of the taller buildings with a ladder on it.

"I was told in the afternoon, when it's not too hot out, the Hylian dressed as a Gerudo relaxes up there. We can rest for tonight at the Inn and wait up there." That was a good plan for him, they could make due with a bed, at least Link could. He nodded to Sheik and made his way inside to book a bed for the night.

For once Sheik actually slept inside with him, a rare turn from how things usually went. Though he slept with all the armor on, mask and all, he still slept curled up against Link's side. Unnaturally clingy for how this typically went too. Link worried it came from that near death experience he had but didn't bring the topic up with Sheik again. He didn't want to upset him.

When morning came they hung around the Bazaar, collecting information and cooking at the fire. As the afternoon rolled around they made their way to the top of the building, using the various ladders around it to get to the top. Sheik pulled Link up and they turned to spot a woman in pink Gerudo clothes looking out over the building. They headed over and the stranger turned to look at them.

"Oh my. What a lovely young lad you are. Do you need something from me?"

Link swallowed and looked to Sheik before glancing back. "Well you see... um..." he hesitated and Sheik let out a sigh next to him.

"You're a man."

The stranger laughed nervously and Link jammed his elbow into Sheik's side. "Oh, my! You sure say the funnest things, young man. Anyway, if you don't need anything, you should be off, then!"

Link turned his glare to Sheik who just rolled his eyes before stepping forward. "I'm sorry, forgive my rudeness. You're very beautiful--"

"Oh! Such a nice thing to say!" Sheik shifted uncomfortably next to him. "And I'm sure you'd agree that these clothes only help my looks, right?"

"Ab--absolutely." The sound he made was strangled and Link coughed to cover a laugh.

"Now that I think about it." Their gaze turned to Link and he saw a suspicious gleam in their look. "This style would look quite fetching on you, young Hylian. I'd charge you a fee of course, but I bet people would look at you completely differently if you wore them. What do you think, do you want to buy them? Just six hundred rupees!"

Link slowly turned to Sheik who was still frowning uncomfortably at the man. His gaze met Link's, he rolled his eyes and then reached for his wallet. "I don't like this idea, getting caught..." he pulled the rupees out and passed them to the stranger.

"Hehehe... worry not young Sheikah. Here you go, I have the perfect outfit for you! Change into it now! Don't worry, I'll look away." The bundle of clothes was passed to Link and he took them in his arms. One last glance to Sheik and he wandered back a bit from them to change his clothes.

The outfit really didn't cover much, he was even doubtful it would work to fool the Gerudo. The top was more like just a string with extra parts on it for his arms and the bottoms were so loose he didn't feel like he was wearing much of anything. At least the slip he wore on his face covered his mouth and discomfort. Once dressed he returned back to Sheik and the strangers side.

"Eee!" The stranger cried in pure joy and fanned their face. "You look so adorable! Ahh, just as I thought! You make for quite a good looking Gal! That's a traditional Gerudo outfit!" Link shifted awkwardly, ducking his face and tugging on the clothes. He risked a glance at Sheik who seemed to be busy glaring holes into the other person's face.

"It's such a striking look around here, I doubt anyone would suspect that you're a man! On top of that it breathes so well it's bound to help you with the desert heat. At least a little." They were right, he did feel better especially with Sheik's charm on. "Well I'm glad that I was able to help you out. If you're free to grab something to eat sometime, keep me in mind." Sheik grabbed a Dirk from his thigh and Link caught his wrist. At the same time the wind blew, knocking their mask off and giving the both of them a view of a white beard. The stranger quickly fixed their mask. "Make sure to watch out for the wind."

Link sighed heavily and Sheik let go of the weapon. Giving a shake of his head he turned his gaze to his partner and looked Sheik over. "We'll need to do something about you if we're going to get in."

"Oh! Do you need more lady clot--"

"No!" Sheik shot the stranger a glare and turned back to Link. "The Sheikah vow themselves in truth. I told you that. I'm not dressing up as a woman to get in. I'd advise you against it too but I know the Gerudo and I know what they'd do if you were caught." He turned his head away and mumbled to himself. "The Hero of Time got caught once, I thought he'd die in that cell."

"Well I'm not leaving you outside." Link waved toward the Town. "Can't you just for once let go of all those rules? It's just one and it's to save Hyrule."

The strange person that had been helping them seemed vastly interested in the argument. After some thought they seemed to butt themselves into the conversation. "If I may, you may not have to lie at all." Sheik seemed absolutely ready to stab them this time but turned in annoyance to their words. "With your hair and rather... nice frame if you just don't give yourself away I doubt anyone would question your gender. We should just... change the clothes a bit." Sheik took a step forward and the stranger spoke quicker. "Not what I put your friend in! You're a Sheikah right? Do you happen to have their uniform? And a spare suit?"

Their new friend apparently also part timed as a tailor. At least they seemed to. Was that how they got the clothes without getting inside the first time? Either way they took the traditional Sheikah outfit that Sheik provided and the Stealth Suit and got to work. They trimmed away some of the bulk from the outfit, made it more of a slim top to put over the Stealth Suit and turned the Stealth Suit into just an under slip. It cut off at Sheik's knees where the boots then covered the rest of it and removed the long arm strips to be replaced by the over top. The top itself hung down like a short sleeved jacket, bound in place by a belt that had the Sheikah crest on it. The spare parts of the outfit were used to make matching sleeves that went over Sheik's forearms like guards.

The stranger also played with Sheik's hair, much to his partner's annoyance. They put it up in a bun, held it in place by the sticks Link had, but used parts of his hair to rest over Sheik's chest. He looked nice, really nice, and even the stranger seemed satisfied by what he did. He certainly charged like he was, not that Sheik ever seemed to have a problem paying a fee.

"Perfect! Your hair definitely is the drawing point to this. They'll never know!" They didn't know the first time but having Sheik come back with a different person would have probably been suspicious. Apart from that though he just got to see Sheik dressed like that and it was nice. They left the stranger to their business and used the Sheikah slate to teleport back to the Shrine beside Gerudo Town.

When they arrived he turned to Sheik and looked him up and down before tugging on his own clothes. "Do I look bad?"

Sheik's eyes widened and he turned to Link, letting his gaze roam over Link's body before shaking his head. "No. Of course not." He turns his gaze away quickly and tugs at his own clothes. "You just don't look like yourself, and you seem uncomfortable. If you're uncomfortable I don't think you should have to pretend to be someone else."

Oh. That was actually nice of him. He steps closer to Sheik and bumps his side. "I'm okay, and we won't have to do this for long. I'm sorry, I know you're uncomfortable lying. But this is safer... and you look very nice."

Sheik sighed and looked over to Link with a smile. "You look nice too. Now let's get this over with."

They made their way over to the Gerudo Town entrance and stopped by the guards. Link waved as Sheik gave a brief bow, politely greeting the guard. "Sav'aaq." Either he already knew their language or he was a fast learner, Link was thinking it was more the former.

"Sav'aaq. We don't get a lot of Hylian Vai around here, and even less Sheikah. Welcome to Gerudo Town. It's an old Gerudo Tradition that only Vai are allowed within the walls. Voe are strictly forbidden. Take your time here."

"Sarqso," he assumes that means 'thank you' and it settles his questions from before, Sheik knows their language. "We're actually here on business."

"I see. Well, here's a tip. If you stop by the canteen, do yourself a favor and order a Noble Pursuit. It's hands down the best drink I've ever had." Was that alcohol?

Sheik bowed again and nodded. "Sav'orq." His hand was taken and Sheik led him into the town, gripping him more tightly than needed.

As their pace quickened he leaned toward Sheik. "When did you learn their language?"

"Mm, I'm not fluent. Nabooru, the Sage of Spirit and a Gerudo, taught me common words. I definitely can't hold a conversation but I can greet someone and say goodbye. You should learn them too, it's polite." He'll add that to his list, right below learning Sheikah. He doubted he would succeed. But the effort would be there.

The town was large and active, a lot of small kids wandering around. They spotted a Gerudo selling clothes, a Goron standing in the middle of town and a Rito off by a food shop. Sheik headed off dragging Link along and stopped to greet a Gerudo by a set of stairs. "Sav'aaq."

"Hmm... you look like your everyday traveler, but how can I be sure? Don't tell anyone... but I'm no merchant. I'm a Gerudo Town soldier in disguise." Sheik tensed though Link only noticed by the tightening of his hand on Link's wrist. "Ever heard of the Yiga Clan? They're a group of thieving bandits who have caused all sorts of trouble back in town. I got a tip that some of them go incognito as travelers to ambush the unwary. That's why I'm disguised as a simple merchant. My mission is to blend in and stay on guard in case they strike. They were bold enough to strike at Gerudo Town, so I wouldn't be shocked if they struck at travelers, too."

They attacked Gerudo Town? That was bold, even Sheik didn't dare try to sneak inside. He even seemed worried about being dressed like he was and meeting a guard. He quickly pulled Link away instead of asking whatever it was he wanted to. "Maybe dressing as a Sheikah wasn't a great idea." Somehow Link couldn't help but agree, hopefully they didn't blame the Sheikah for what the Yiga did.

They hurried toward the staircase and passed a small child who was staring out toward the edge of the Town. "STOMP... STOMP! I think I can see him!" Link turned to follow their gaze and spotted the tips of the Divine Beast moving through the desert. Sheik pulled him up the stairs and they headed toward what had to be where the Gerudo Leader was.

They were stopped by a guard near the entrance. "Sav'aaq. We've got a lot of visitors today. The chief may be young, but she's the kind of leader who puts her people first. She told me to allow visitors through even with the tough times lately. Hey, listen! Even though I'm allowing you inside, that doesn't mean you can go getting in the Chief's way! Watch out!"

"We understand, thank you. Sav'orq." Sheik bowed, the perfect example of someone used to dealing with Royalty.

"Take care not to be rude." Another nod and Link was led away into the room.

They walked their way across the room and the Gerudo Chief, who looked like an actual child, picked their head up. "Oh, another traveler. How did you get in here?" Her gaze narrowed slightly and she smiled. "It seems you have something rather interesting there."

They didn't get much further than the bottom of the stairs before the woman beside the Chief stomped her sword into the ground. "Halt! You stand before Lady Riju, Chief of the Gerudo! Declare your business and come no closer!"

"Hold on, Buliara... these two appear to be more than common traveler's. You two, what are your names?"

"I'm Link, and this is my partner Sheik." He motions toward Sheik who bows his head in greeting.

"Link... and what is it you've come all the way here to tell me, Link?"

Taking a breath he slowly let it out and looked Riju in the eyes. "We've come to calm the Divine Beast."

The guard bristled, much like Muzu had when dealing with the Zora. "You think you have what it takes to subdue something so powerful as Divine Beast Vah Naboris? The only ones who could ever control them were Champions like Lady Urbosa! And all the Champions died in the Calamity a hundred years ago."

"Hmm... but a memory just jumped into my head--something my mother spoke of. When the Calamity happened, the Princess of Hyrule placed a fallen swordsman into a deep sleep. The swordsman, much like our new friend here, was named Link... though it always seemed more legend than fact. What of the device on this one's hip? It appears to be a precious relic of the Sheikah. I can't imagine they'd give something so valuable to a simple drifter--can you? Even with their companion."

"I don't remember hearing of a Hylian vai among the Champions. Or a Sheikah Champion." Buliara paused and then smacked the sword into the ground. "Wait a moment... you're both voe!"

Sheik let out a tense breath and stepped closer to Link. Riju just laughed at them. "A voe within our walls is a great crime. But a voe who is a Champion... well, we'd never mistreat a friend of Lady Urbosa. And if you're here to help us with Naboris, then we are allies. You saw it on your way to our town. Divine Beast Vah Naboris, cloaked in a massive sandstorm, hurling lightning at any who dare approach. We have to do something to stop it, but we have yet to find any way to appease the Divine Beast on our own. If you truly are a Champion, perhaps you will be able to enter Naboris and calm it's anger."

"Lady Riju! I don't see how you can trust a complete stranger with something as important as this task! Perhaps if this person were first to prove his worth recovering your stolen Thunder Helm."

"Ah, yes... an interesting suggestion."

Sheik at this point leaned over and whispered to Link. "Did they forget we're here?" He couldn't help but feel the same.

Riju sat up. "You see, there is only one thing in all of Hyrule that can withstand the lighting from Naboris. The Thunder Helm, a family heirloom and relic of the Gerudo. But as Buliara says, it was stolen from us."

"You needn't worry, Lady Riju. If they truly are Champions, this should be an easy task for them. Our soldiers can tell you all you need to know about the thieves who stole Lady Riju's heirloom." Buliara pointed off to the side where an arch was. "Head through this arch, it will lead you to the barracks. Seek out Captain Teake, and ask for a full report."

"Without my Heirloom, you'll never be able to approach Naboris. Heh, you know... I take heart in having such a rare visitor as yourself. Lady Urbosa must be looking out for us."

Just like that they were dismissed, never even having gotten a word in. Sheik frowned tightly and then turned, walking off toward the arch. Link watched Riju for a few seconds longer before trailing quickly after him. "Are you alright? Are they always like that?" Intimidating, he means.

"The Gerudo I knew were strong and fearsome warriors, as well as thieves. So it's rather hard to say. Nabooru was a wonderful person from what I recall. She was their Chief at the time and wanted to push the Gerudo to being more than what they were." He paused at the top of the stairs and looked to Link. "As future Tribe Leader to the Sheikah, I admired her ambitions. I too, at one point, wanted to see the Sheikah become more than what we were." He headed down the stairs and Link followed, a thousand questions running through his mind.

Finding Teake wasn't hard, she was overseeing soldiers training in the barracks. Sheik greeted her with a short bow. "Sav'aaq."

"What are you doing in here? This is the barracks for the Chief's guards, not a place for tourists to gather. We're on high alert after the recent threat, so you should clear out."

"Excuse me." Link waved his hand and got her attention. "Buliara sent us, Lady Riju wants us to recover her Thunder Helm. Buliara said you could tell us what happened."

"My apologies! I'm the officer in charge of the soldiers, Captain Teake. The Chief's heirloom was stolen by thieves belonging to the Yiga Clan the other day, so everyone is on edge. We've determined that the Yiga hideout is in Marisa Valley, but... the soldiers are all exhausted, so I was just considering making a request for some extra help." Teake suddenly lifted her gaze from them to the Barracks. "Hey, everyone! Listen up! This Hylian and Sheikah vai have agreed to help us, so offer them any information you can!" Teake turned back to them. "Consider yourself a part of our unit! If you have any questions, my troops will be happy to help."

They learned through talking where the Yiga hideout probably was and that a soldier named Barta was missing. She had apparently left to search on her own and had been missing for two days. So now this was not only a retrieval mission but a rescue as well. They gathered at the entrance to Gerudo Town, sun setting.

"Well?" Link prompted, sighing. "Seems we don't have a choice. Though I'd rather not take you anywhere near that place... we need the Thunder Helm."

"And Barta." Sheik reminded him, a smile on his face. "It'll be fine. Let's return to Hateno for now, rest and come back. We can search for the Yiga tomorrow."

Sheik kept saying it was fine but he still hated this idea. The Yiga weren't the kind of people they could just dismiss. Still, he was tired and Sheik was right. So he nodded, grabbed the Sheikah slate and moved closer to the other. "We'll figure it out in the morning, then."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35 1 1
Sheik's job was written out for him the moment he was born. Be the guide, be the shadow, but nothing more. He was content with those rules, Impa made...
35.5K 3.2K 27
The story contains cussing, violence, sensitive topic and mature content do read it at your own risk, if you don't like reading books like these than...
20.8K 988 13
The Moon was lost, and it's up to him to guide her way back home.
60.8K 2.9K 44
So, basically, the humans have turned against the witches. Poor (M/n) was told by his family to run and leave them behind, which he did. He flew with...