Another Like Me - Part I (CoT...

By Creepsies

Ayanokoji Kiyotaka. The prodigal genius of the 4th Generation White Room, feared and respected among those wh... More

Chapter 00 - Prologue
Chapter 01 - The Beginning
Chapter 02 - Manabu Horikita
Chapter 03 - Class Test
Chapter 04 - Reveal
Chapter 05 - Preparation
Chapter 06 - Kikyo Kushida
Chapter 07 - Midterms
Chapter 08 - Ken Sudo
Chapter 09 - Witness
Chapter 10 - Platinum
Chapter 11 - Hearing
Chapter 12 - Trap
Chapter 13 - Speranza
Chapter 14 - Deserted Island Special Test, Part 1
Chapter 15 - Deserted Island Special Test, Part 2
Chapter 16 - Deserted Island Special Test, Part 3
Chapter 17 - Deserted Island Special Test, Part 4
Chapter 18 - Deserted Island Special Test, Part 5
Chapter 19 - Deserted Island Special Test, Part 6
Chapter 20 - Deserted Island Special Test, Finale
Chapter 21 - No Break
Chapter 22 - The Zodiac Exam, Part 1
Chapter 23 - The Zodiac Exam, Part 2
Chapter 24 - The Zodiac Exam, Part 3
Chapter 25 - The Zodiac Exam, Finale
Chapter 26 - Another Like Me
Chapter 27 - Dictator
Chapter 28 - Natural Genius
SS.1 - Standards (Chiaki Matsushita)
SS.2 - The Man Behind The Mask (Kikyo Kushida)
Chapter 30 - Strength Test
Chapter 31 - Reconnaissance
Chapter 32 - Double-Edged Sword
Chapter 33 - The Curtain Rises
Chapter 34 - Foul Play
Chapter 35 - Theatrics
SS.3 - An Aura of Mystery (Ryuji Kanzaki)
Chapter 35.5 - Gossip (?) [Bonus]
Chapter 36 - Classroom of the Elite
Chapter 37 - Final Leg
Chapter 38 - Exposed, Part 1
Chapter 39 - Exposed, Part 2
Chapter 39.5 - The Student Council
Chapter 40 - Loyal Junior
Chapter 40.5 - Confession
Chapter 41 - The Negotiator
SS.4 - Siding With The Winner (Masayoshi Hashimoto)
Chapter 42 - Striking Gold
Chapter 43 - Rewind
Chapter 44 - The Paper Shuffle
Announcement - [1]
Chapter 44.5 - Teacher Troubles
Chapter 45 - Bookworm
Chapter 46 - Backroom Deal
Chapter 47 - Queen
Chapter 47.5 - Quest [Bonus]
Chapter 48 - Man With A Plan
Chapter 49 - Study Groups
Chapter 50 - Possibilities
Chapter 51 - Provocation
Chapter 52 - Realization
Announcement - [2]
Chapter 53 - Submission
Chapter 54 - Retaliation
SS.5 - The Greater Good (Shiina Hiyori)
SS.6 - Fearless (Sakayanagi Arisu)
SS.7 - Hot Guys (Mori Nene)
Random One Shot 1 - Kiryuin Fuka
Question - [1]
Announcement - [3]
Random One Shot 2 - Ichinose Honami
Chapter 55 - Tail
Chapter 56 - Cold Reading
Chapter 57 - Family
Chapter 58 - Camouflage
Chapter 59 - Rokusuke Kouenji
Chapter 59.5 - Trust
Chapter 60 - True Defeat
Chapter 61 - Suspicion
SS.8 - Friends (Kikyo Kushida)
Chapter 62 - Date?
Chapter 63 - Operation Peri-Peri [Bonus]
Chapter 64 - Date!
Chapter 65 - Playboy
Chapter 66 - Reveal 2.0
Chapter 67 - The Beginning of the End
Chapter 68 - The End of the Beginning
Chapter 68.5 - Desire
Chapter 69 - Epilogue
Another Like Me, Part II (Teaser)
Part II is Out!

Chapter 29 - Shadows

5.4K 210 29
By Creepsies

"Obviously, I'm going to participate in all the Recommended Events! That'll give us the highest chances of winning!" Sudo urged Horikita with his simple-yet-effective thought process.

"Wait, that's not fair!" said Ike. "The first 3 places in these competitions earn you Private Points and marks! It's not fair that Sudo gets to hog all the events!"

"Are you saying that you value your Private Points more than your Class Ranking?" Horikita asked him coldly.

"T-That....."

I think I saw Horikita glare at me for a fraction of a second, before returning back to conversing with the 3 Idiots. She's so cold. Tsundere.

"The athletic ones will participate as many times as possible. That should be the main line of thinking, right? You're being naïve, Suzune," Sudo said half-heartedly.

Horikita did not refute Sudo's point, and I did not see any reason to either. Sudo was the one person in the class who is always on the verge of failing during written exams, so it is imperative that he wants to participate in all the recommended events.

Furthermore, the academically brighter students, who were physically weaker, did not mind letting Sudo take all the recommended spots. To them, a student who can possibly win them points, and also get some marks for his own failing written test would be seen as a win-win.

But the problem here arises among the other academically weaker students, like Ike, Yamauchi and Sato-san. They would also aim for the written test marks, but they were left out of the equation due to their inferior athletic skills compared to Sudo. There were several others as well who were adamant on getting their names in on the recommended list just so they could amass some Private Points for themselves.

However, since I was the VIP of the Snake Group back in the Zodiac Exam, I had already received my 1,000,000 Private Points. Right now to me, the first place offered a measly 5000 Private Points, which didn't hold a candle to my current funds. Granted, it would be something if I managed to get a podium finish in 3 or more events, but I believe it would be better to let the academically weaker students try aiming for the marks instead. My point balance was currently 1,046,732 Private Points, which was by no means less. I probably had the most points in Class, considering that Kushida usually spends most of her money on her friends.

Which reminded me that I have very few friends.

But that honestly did not concern me anymore. In this school, friends are superficial, more so if they're from other classes. The underlying fact that we were still enemies in the end, and that we would have to fight each other sooner or later, makes it much harder to interact without mincing words. Letting out any potential weakness or strategy, even during friendly gatherings, can be effectively used by other classes during class battles.

"We'll be having a meeting with all the classes in the gymnasium in about half an hour," Hirata announced. "I think that will be a good time to discuss among all the other D-classes and A-classes about how we should go ahead with the Festival."

"Yeah, that's a good idea!"

"I think we should try that out!"

"Thanks, Hirata-kun!"

***

Over 400 people, including teachers, staff members and students gathered in the gymnasium. The entire student body from the First Years to the Third Years were divided into the Red Team and the White Team.

I was standing next to Ayanokoji and Hirata. Even Hirata was unsure of what to do in such a large crowd. He attempted to get at least Class 1-D under control, but his attempts were futile.

I noticed Horikita intently staring into the Third Year crowd. Was she perhaps looking for her brother? If she loves her brother so much, why can't she just be a bit more bold and approach him, and talk to him? This kind of behavior with your brother came as a bit abnormal to me. Again, I don't have an elder brother, so I possibly couldn't know.

"It feels rather intimidating to be the freshman year in such a large student body crowd," Hirata mused. "Do you think the seniors will be the ones to take the lead in this Festival?"

"That will most probably be the case," I answered. "The seniors have more experience when it comes to the Sports Festival. Sensei has told us that this Festival is annual, which implies that the Third Years have already been through it twice. It will be better if one of them takes the lead."

"That makes sense. Do you think it will be beneficial if we set up a cooperative alliance with Class A for this time?" Hirata asked me. "Of course we will be competing in the Sports Festival over the Best Performing Class in the Year, but otherwise, it feels out-of-hand to have any sort of miscommunication with Class A."

"I think it will be better to not establish communication itself," I said. "Talk to the leaders of Class A of how you don't want any communication between the 2 classes in this Festival. There's no point in any connections either way. In this Festival, there's no way you can actually win without having athletic people in your class. In other words, it's very fair, and there's not much ground for reconnaissance and foul play."

Hirata pondered over my words. I looked ahead to notice a small group of Third Years approaching centerstage in our gathering of A and D classes. One of them started to speak.

"My name is Fujimaki from the Third Year Class A. It has been decided that I will be taking charge of the Red Team for this event."

So Horikita Manabu wasn't going to be the Leader here? Considering he was the SCP, it would make sense if he had taken hold of the reins. But then what does the man even do?

"First of all, I'll be giving you First Years some advice. This may be an unnecessary portion to you all, but I'd like you to keep in mind how critically important this sports festival is. The experience you will gain from this sports festival will definitely be made use of on a different occasion as well. In future exams as well, there will be times when part of it feel like games to you. However, each and every one of them are battles on which you bet your survival in this school."

The senior's words were a bit ambiguous, but they were solid pieces of advice. As we First Years get accustomed to this school, it is getting increasingly prevalent and clear that each and every turn and bump on our path to Class A cannot be taken lightly. Every single Special Exam is a potential marker to earn valued Class Points, and make your way up the rankings. This sports festival was no different. There was a chance to get only 50 Class Points. But since the entire system of the sports festival was ranking based, the net gain was much greater.

For instance, if Class C came in 4th position, and Class D came in 1st position, then:

Class C -----> -100 CP
Class D ----->  +50 CP

Which basically means a net gain of 150 CP over Class C, which by no means is a small amount. It was not enough to immediately promote ourselves to Class C, but the gap would significantly lessen to less than a 100 CP, turning it into a two-way deadlock between Class C and D.

"Since you don't have a feel for it yet, you lot might not be very motivated right now. But since we're doing it anyways we'll be aiming to win, hold strongly onto that feeling. That alone is something that everyone should keep in mind," Fujimaki-senpai continued.

"The only event where all the 3 school years will be participating together is the 1200m relay at the end. Other than that, all the other events will have all the events divided up. After this, please assemble according to your school years and discuss your strategy going forward." Having ended his pep talk, Fujimaki-senpai stood back and immersed himself back into the Third Year crowd, already making plans and strategies.

Class A, led by Kohei Katsuragi, started assembling together in droves, while the ones in Class D were a bit apprehensive working together with the elite class. Their grades in the 1st semester was much higher than ours, which demonstrated the prowess and authority of Class A.

"It seems we'll be forming a united front in a bizarre manner but let's get along. If possible, I was thinking we could join forces without any quarrels among our teammates," said Katsuragi.

"I feel the same way too, Katsuragi-kun. Let's get along," Hirata agreed, and the 2 clearly decided their intention to cooperate.

"Hey, what's up with that girl..... ?" Ike suddenly asked softly.

I looked at the direction in which Ike was looking at. Sitting on a chair at the side of the gymnasium was a petite silver haired girl, with a walking cane resting on one hand. It was clear from her slender body and thin legs that she probably had trouble walking.

If my intel was not wrong.....

"That is Sakayanagi Arisu from our class," Katsuragi confirmed my suspicions. "She's disabled, so I hope you can understand that she cannot take part in this sports festival."

"She's really cute.... "

There were silent murmurs from a specific set of boys from Class D, but none of them could muster up the courage to approach her. A cuteness that was different from Kushida's and Ichinose's, a different kind of beauty. One that invokes a feeling of wanting to protect her.

Having realized that she was now the center of attention, Sakayanagi softly turned around and smiled.

"As for me, it is unfortunate, but I will not be of much use to you. I will be losing every competition due to my absence."

A faint, yet strong will.

"I will end up inconveniencing both my class and Class D. For that, please allow me to apologize."

"There is no need for that at all. I don't think anyone will be hounding you over the fact that you cannot participate," Hirata reassured her. No one in the Class had the courage, or the right, to complain against something that she had no control over.

Contrary to her reputation, Sakayanagi appeared to be overwhelmingly polite and mature. She did not even give off the slightest impression that she was the aggressive type, as the rumors suggested.

From the perspective of the meatheads like Sudo and Ike in our class, who don't have a faint idea of what is going on in the other classes, it must have appeared to them that Class A and Class D were sitting separately. However, from my perspective, it was clear that there was a demarcation, a clear line which the students in Class A were following.

A few students, including Yahiko, were sitting on Katsuragi's side, while the rest of the class was on Sakayanagi's side. It was clear evidence of the factional conflict between the 2 de facto leaders of Class A.

From the looks of it, the Katsuragi faction had almost as many students as the Sakayanagi faction, if not more. However, from the evident number of people on Sakayanagi's side, it was clear that even though she was not involved in any of the events and Special Exams that were held over the cruise ship, she still had a massive influence over the class. Surely, missing out on Special Exams would cost a huge penalty for Class A, unless there were a few lax rules due to her unstable constitution. Moreover, it made it very clear that Sakayanagi was making moves behind the scenes to rope in more students onto her side, and capitalizing on Katsuragi's failures on the Cruise Ship to further consolidate her position as an able Class Leader.

"By the way, Katsuragi-kun. About our cooperative relationship, I'm thinking of a relationship where we don't interfere with each other would be fine. You don't mind, do you?" All eyes were on me as I spoke up for the first time in the gymnasium.

"In other words, you mean you won't be sharing the details of the competitions you'll be participating in?" Katsuragi eyed me suspiciously.

"That's right. If we announce them clumsily it may lead to unnecessary problems. If information about that were to leak to Class C and B, it would cause suspicion towards Class A and end up causing disruptions to our cooperation. Besides, having to analyze the capabilities of our allies Class A and taking all that into account will only be adding into our troubles. At best, we'll only be cooperating and fighting together. I've judged that this is optimal."

"..... that may be so. I understand that this is school where it is difficult to establish a relationship in good faith. Also, even though we are allies in the sense that we're a group, there's no change to the fact that we'll still be competing against each other after all," Katsuragi mused. "Besides, I haven't seen you around before. May I know your name?"

"Keisuke Takeyama, pleasure," I replied.

"Takeyama, will you be taking lead of your class during this sports festival, or will it be Hirata? I must know that so I am aware of who to communicate with in the case that there is any need to do so," said Katsuragi.

I stayed silent for a second, and looked at Hirata. There was a quick non-verbal confirmation between the two of us, and I spoke up again.

"That'll be me. I'm the Leader of Class D for this Sports Festival. Please contact me in case you really need to."

The class audibly gasped, and looked at me and Hirata for an explanation of the situation. The only ones in the class who were majorly aware of this development were Hirata, Ayanokoji, Horikita and Chiaki. No one else in the class is aware of my deep involvement in the class affairs, and my connections with the Leaders of the other classes. It was natural for them to voice their concern over my sudden appointment as Leader.

"It seems that your class is apprehensive of you becoming the Leader," Katsuragi spat out. "It makes me wonder if your class really possesses the necessary amount of teamwork to work with Class A. A Leader who is not recognized cannot possibly lead the class. I'm also against cooperating with Class D if their Leader is not a capable one. It would be detrimental to both Class A and the Red Team as a whole."

"Katsuragi-kun, Keisuke is a much more capable person than you think," Hirata tried to intervene for my sake. "I don't think there should be any problems for Class A if he takes the reins now."

"I disagree, Hirata," Katsuragi continued his onslaught. "This is not about capability. This is about leadership, and not everyone possesses that skill. And you're wrong about the fact that it does not affect Class A. It affects us immensely; and we'll be dragged down along with you if you underperform in the Sports Festival."

"Katsuragi-kun, I want you to understand that we are in a precarious situation right now," I said, bringing all attention onto me now. "Our alliance is key to winning this Sports Festival together, as the Red Team. We've already reached a conclusion where the 2 classes will not be poking our noses into each other's business. This alliance is a threat to Class D as well. Class A right now, is the class with the most unstable leadership, and yet we are here, forming an alliance that you proposed. Risks must be taken, Katsuragi. You cannot always choose the safe path."

"Tch." There were a few murmurs of approval from both Class D and the Sakayanagi Faction, who had remained especially quite during the exchange.

"Hey, don't talk down to Katsuragi-san like that!" Yahiko-the-dog shouted out. "He's a much more capable leader than you defects!"

"Who're you calling defects, uh!?" Yamauchi struck in, and there was rising tension between the 2 classes.

"There's no point of any useless banter of this sort here," I said calmly. "You're free to think of us in any way you want, Class A. What you say cannot bother us in the least. So, let's settle this temporary alliance for now."

"But that doesn't change anything!" Yahiko continued. "You guys are still Class D, and we in Class A are forced to pair up with you lot! It's almost guaranteeing our loss!"

"Yahiko, that's enough," Katsuragi spoke up. "I'm sorry for the mayhem. I agree to cooperate for this Festival. However, you'd better not drag us down, Class D."

"Likewise, Class A. I hope that there will be no requirement to communicate in the future, unless a situation demands so," I said.

The rest of the meeting passed in silence, till it was interrupted by commotion on the other side of the gymnasium.

"Class C..... ?"

"So are you saying that you have no intention of cooperating?" a sweet voice rang out in the gymnasium. The voice belonged to Class B's leader, Ichinose Honami.

Beyond her gaze, a class worth of students were making a move to leave the gymnasium. Among them, a single student who was walking with his hands in his pocket, turned around. It's Class C's Ryuuen Kakeru.

"You do know that I'm leaving out of goodwill, right? Even if I offered to cooperate it's not like you guys would believe me anyways. Ultimately it'll end up as a thorough investigation right? If that's the case, it's just a waste of my time."

"I see. So you were thinking of saving us time."

"That's precisely right. You'd better be grateful."

Laughing, Ryuuen began walking out with all the Class C students in tow. It was a scene that confirmed that there are no disruptions to the dictatorship in Class C.

"Hey, Ryuuen-kun. Are you confident that you can win this time without cooperating?" It seems Ichinose intends on cooperating with Ryuuen to the bitter end.

"Kuku. I wonder."

I stared at the retreating Class C, but my gaze lingered upon Karuizawa as she stared intently at the leaving Class C crowd. Her expression was far from what it usually is, and she looked a bit gloomy. I looked back at Class C, but couldn't find anyone or anything suspicious.

Katsuragi turned to give me some advice.

"Since we're allies with you guys from Class D this time I'll give you a warning. Don't underestimate Ryuuen. He can laugh while sliding up to you and leap to attack without warning. You'll suffer severely if you let your guard down."

"I'm grateful for your warning, but with the way you phrase it, I wonder if you know this from personal experience," I replied. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Sakayanagi smirking to herself.

"..... you've been warned."

***

I stayed back in the gymnasium with Hirata and Horikita, while the rest of the class headed back to the dormitories.

Horikita immediately started as soon as everyone left. "Takeyama-kun, what was the meaning of this?"

"I assumed that you would have been one of the people who understands the reason behind my actions," I deadpanned. "Looks like I was sorely mistaken."

"Do not digress. You made it very clear that you did not want to come front-stage and yet, here you are, taking the lead in the Sports Festival in the most conspicuous manner possible. Care to explain?"

"Wait, just a moment!" Hirata intervened, darting his vision between Horikita and myself. "What do you mean, 'take front-stage'?"

Horikita looked at me for confirmation. I nodded.

"Well, if I had to put it in simple words, Takeyama is the real mastermind of Class 1-D."

"I..... what?" Hirata looked at me, with a big looming question mark over his head.

"It's true; I'm the one who pulled off our strategy during the Island Exam. I didn't try to do anything during the Zodiac Exam, because I ended up becoming the VIP. It would have been easier to guess another VIP than trying to make the entire group believe that someone else is the VIP."

"I-I don't understand," Hirata said, perplexed. "I knew Takeyama-kun was above average, but..... you're the one who's been pulling the strings behind all this while? And what about Horikita-san? Have you just been taking credit of Keisuke's plans?"

"You don't have to get worked up, Yosuke," I said soothingly. "It was all a part of a simple strategy — let the real leader stay in the shadows and make someone else leader in my place. A simple method to disguise one's identity and also to mislead the other classes."

"I guess that makes sense..... but then why did you suddenly take the initiative to lead the class up front, Keisuke?" asked Hirata. "Wouldn't it have been better to continue to hide in the shadows?"

"That was my question as well," Horikita said impatiently. "I want to know how we're going to explain it to the rest of the class now."

"Explaining it to the class won't be a problem, Horikita-san," Hirata assured her. "I think Keisuke and I can handle that easily."

"Coming back to the real question."

"Well, if I had to explain it in simple words, I was found out," I said nonchalantly.

"Found out?" Horikita raised her eyebrows. "What do you mean, 'found out'?"

"Exactly what it meant. Ryuuen found out that I'm the real person behind Class D's tactics on the cruise ship. Him and I had a little chat over the deck on the last day of the cruise. I didn't feel like hiding my identity, so I exposed myself as the Leader."

"But why would you do that? You could have just continued to deny that you were the real mastermind, or play dumb, or something," Horikita said. "Why did you confirm it with Ryuuen-kun, out of all people?"

"There would have been more harm done than good, Horikita," I said. "Ryuuen said that he would target me solely during the next few Special Tests because I foiled his plans on the Island. I would become a liability to the class if we're relentlessly attacked by Class C without knowing the reason. Ryuuen is not someone who will keep promises, after all. He vouched that he would not expose my identity to the rest of the grade, but it's hard to trust him."

"So you exposed yourself before the entire Class so that we don't enter a problematic situation later, in the case that your identity is ripped away by force?" Hirata connected the dots.

"Yeah, that's basically it."

"I wonder if that was a good plan, Keisuke?" Hirata asked me. "Besides, how many people already know about your involvement as the Class Leader?"

"If it's just Class D, then you, Horikita, Ayanokoji and Chiaki. Ryuuen is the only person from another Class to know about it as of now."

"Matsushita-san and Ayanokoji-kun as well?" asked Hirata.

"Ayanokoji was unexpected; he tags along with Horikita most of the time, so I thought it would be alright to let him in on that," I explained. "As for Chiaki, she just knows, because I trust her."

"Is there something going on..... ?" Hirata asked amusingly.

"Nope, we're not dating."

"Oh, alright! Sorry if I made you uncomfortable," Hirata apologized.

"Don't sweat it."

"So what's the course of action now?" Horikita asked. "Where do you want to start?"

"I'll suggest first taking a basic strength test of the entire class," I said. "We can gauge the abilities of all our classmates, and then have a better idea as to how we can organize ourselves for the Recommended Only Events. I also suggest reconnaissance."

"Reconnaissance?" Hirata repeated after me.

"Just the basics. We can enter club rooms, right? So we can judge at least a few of the students from Class B and C. Shibata-kun is in the soccer club, is he not? And Komiya and Kondo are in the basketball club. We can check them out and have a mental grasp on their limits."

"Needless to say, you're a very capable leader, Keisuke," mused Hirata. "You've already come up with a flawless plan."

"You give me too much credit," I replied, smiling. "I was hoping to ask the faculty members of the gym to lend me a few grip strength machines. I think I'll go and get them now before someone from another class grabs the good ones."

"Sure, I'll inform the class that we'll be doing a normal physical test in the next PE class," Hirata said.

With that, we left the already-empty gymnasium.

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N's:

I'm currently super motivated to write this fic, but even though I know what to write, I don't actually know what to write.

Is this what they call writer's block?
If it is, now I know how hard it is.

Thank you for reading! Vote for Smug Loli first appearance! Cheers.

________________________________________________________________________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

113K 3.5K 31
This series follows a doctor and his recently-deceased patient who became reborn as twins to a famous Japanese musical idol and navigate the highs an...
11.8K 365 30
"I will hunt you down and kill you... Gorou Amamiya!" Fenix Katayose is the star male idol of Kamiki Productions, though he didn't always go by that...
4.8K 79 4
. The hashira,Ubuyashiki,kamaboko squad,demons tanjiro killed,butterfly estate,the dead,uppermoons,former hashira and Michael Jackson/Muzan Kibutsuji...
191K 4.4K 52
โŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏ เชœโ€โžด ๐…๐„๐„๐‹๐’ ๐‹๐ˆ๐Š๐„ .แŸ โ› & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. โœ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...