πƒπ„π€π‘ππŽπ‘π | Draco Malf...

By Babixxi

"π“π‘πžπ«πž 𝐒𝐬 𝐚 𝐝𝐒𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 π›πžπ­π°πžπžπ§ π›πžπ’π§π  𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 π›πžπ’π§π  𝐬𝐚𝐟𝐞; 𝐭�... More

DISCLAIMER
0.5: Prologue
1: Hogwarts
2: Slytherin
3: Explosive Connections
4: Triwizard Tournament
5: Durmstrang and Beauxbatons
6: The Goblet of Fire
7: The Daily Prophet
8: Friends
9: The First Task
10: 'SNAKE'
11: The Fat Lady
12: The Yule Ball
13: Home, Sweet Home
14: Boggarts and Bissets
15: Hogsmeade
16: The Second Task
17: Witch Weekly
18: Victoria Sponge
19: Isabelle Bisset
20: The Third Task
21: Cedric Diggory
22: A Short Summer
23: Happy Returns
24: Umbridge
25: Detention
26: Daphne Greengrass
27: Living Death
28: A Seat At The Table
30: Thestrals
31: Mistletoe
32: Nightmare
33: Bucks Fizz
34: Unanswered Questions
35: The Smart Thing
36: Love, Maddie
37: Love (In Idiocy)
38: Raspberry Jam
39: Fireworks
40: Prophecy
41: An Ending/Beginning
42: The Last Summer
43: Liquid Luck
44: Breakfast With A View
45: Couple
46: Hickory And Home
47: Suspicion
48: Our Fathers
IMPORTANT UPDATE
49: Slughorns Party

29: A Snake Chant

62 4 0
By Babixxi

Chapter 29: A Snake Chant

Madeline was right. Something was definitely off.

It had been two full week since Hogsmeade, and nothing had changed with the Gryffindors. Madeline found herself spending less and less time with Fred and his friends at breakfast, partially because they were all involved with the upcoming Quidditch match versus Slytherin. In fact, the Slytherins too were on edge. They weren't stressed or panicked by any means - no, never in Slytherin - but tension felt high in shared classes, glares and glances thrown around more than answers.

Madeline hadn't realised how big of a deal the Quidditch match was. Even Snape had his clear biases (which shouldn't be a surprise, really), and insisted on booking out the Quidditch field for practice more often than not. Perhaps this was why tension was running high with the Gryffindors and Madeline; after all, she was totally responsible for her house masters decisions.

And it seemed that the Slytherin team themselves were no less subtle in their distaste for their opponents. Miles Bletchley had been rumoured (with fourteen eyewitnesses, mind you) to have jinxed Alicia Spinnet with a hair-thickening charm. Apparently, her eyebrows had grown to half the size of her face, something Madeline kind-of-maybe had wanted to see for herself.

Okay, so maybe Slytherin house was being a little mean with the run-up to the game. She'd seen Draco, on numerous occasions, pretend to be Ron Weasley dropping the quaffle in the middle of the game (something he made sure Ron had ample view of), and Pansy had taken to making snide remarks to Angelina and Harry at any given moment.

And this continued through the end of October, halloween passing with an unexcited blur. November arrived, cold as ice, with hard frosts every morning and icy draughts that bit at exposed hands and faces, chapped lips and dry skin becoming Daphne's biggest enemy. The mountains around Hogwarts were snowcapped, and the temperature in the castle dropped so low that many students wore their thick protective dragon skin gloves in the corridors between lessons. Even Madeline found herself shivering more often than not.

The evening before the big match, with the Slytherin team fast asleep in their beds, the remaining Slytherins crowded tightly around the fireplace, layers of blankets and pillows surrounding them as Madeline and Daphne passed around hot chocolates.

"Do you think we'll win?" Evie Sterling asked, knees tucked to her chest as she sipped on her hot chocolate.

"No doubt about it!" a short first-year boy boasted, grinning from ear to ear, "Draco and his team are the best. No questions asked."

"I wish I had that confidence," Tracy Davis sighed, leaning back into the sofa.

"Pansy made us all badges," Daphne held up a brown cardboard box, shaking it slightly, "I don't know what they have on them, but we are required by royal decree to wear them, apparently."

"I just can't wait for this to be all over," Madeline sighed, taking a seat next to Theo, who was cocooned in a nest of fluffy green blankets, "I've barely seen Fred in weeks. It's like Angelina is running practice every night, or something."

Daphne furrowed her eyebrows, "Wait, are you sure about that? You're not exaggerating or anything?"

"Yes?" Madeline asked in confusion.

"Because Snape booked out the Quidditch pitch almost every night last week. The Gryffindors had to practice in the mornings, and even then they only got half the time we got," Daphne explained, eyebrows drawn tight.

Madeline frowned. So he hadn't been as busy as he'd said. But then - was Fred avoiding her again?

"I can't think about what that means right now," Madeline shook her head, "Nope. Not now. Tomorrow, after the game."

"Didn't know you were such a sports fan," Evie teased, "Got a banner and everything? Ooo, who are you supporting?"

"Slytherin, of course," Madeline shrugged, "Although I do hope Fred puts up a good fight."

"Would be embarrassing if he didn't."

Which Madeline was sure he was going to do, regardless of the insignificant fact that he'd been ignoring her- no, stop it. Don't think about it now.

But she still thought about it. Even as she laid in bed that night, looking up to the dark ceiling of her shared dorm room. She was sick of mind games; who wouldn't be after growing up in a family like Madelines? All her life it had been a flurry of events and dinners with important people Madeline would never remember the names of. Dinners were chess games; one wrong move and she was out. She'd navigated life carefully, and Merlin knows she was sick of it.

She just hoped that the game would pass, and that life could return to semi-normality. At least.

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

The day of the match rushed into the Slytherin dorms with a flurry of green scarves and jumpers. Every single Slytherin rushed into the common room with a glee only compatible to Christmas morning. Even Madeline felt the excitement brewing beneath the cold stone floors, beaming smiles tossed around the corridors as housemates locked eyes.

"Exciting, isn't it?" Daphne asked Madeline loudly over the chattering of the corridors as everyone made their way to the pitch.

"I've never seen the whole school move this quickly," Theo commented as the cold November air hit them, "Everyone's probably dying for some semblance of excitement after the DADA lessons we've been having..."

Madeline stayed silent, eyes scanning across the crowds in a final effort to catch Fred before the game. Unfortunately, she couldn't see past the vast army of green leading the way.

"-Badges!" Pansy loudly exclaimed, cardboard box in hand as she all-but-stabbed one onto Madeline's scarf, "Come and get your badges!"

"The hell Pansy-" Madeline went to complain, but was distracted by Pansy's incessant yapping.

"Badges! Come and get your badges!"

"Creative," Daphne commented as she pinned hers on.

Madeline looked at her own badge: Weasley is our king. She pressed her eyebrows in confusion, but it was Pansy. She wasn't responsible for the entirety of Slytherin, after all.

The frosty grass crunched under their feet as they hurried down the sloping lawns towards the stadium. The morning breeze had subsided, leaving the perfect conditions for a Quidditch match.

The Slytherins filed into their stands quickly and excitedly, Madeline and her friends in the centre of the third row; a perfect view. Pansy was in the first row, already cackling at Luna Lovegood's ridiculous headpiece on the other side of the arena.

"We'll certainly win," Pansy announced loudly to the entirety of the Slytherin stands, "I'm sure of it."

"Her blind faith is admirable," Theo commented, pulling his black gloves onto his hands.

"But it won't get us the house cup," Daphne pointed out, turning to the pitch, "I think we're about to start."

Madeline watched as the captains shook hands. Madam Hooch placed her whistle in her mouth and blew. The balls were released and the fourteen players shot upwards.

At once, the Slytherin stands became even more animated as they all watched Draco fly through the sky, looking for the Snitch. Even Madeline was completely involved in his search until she spotted Fred, as dashing as ever, yet wearing a serious expression on his face.

She watched him dodge a Bludger, gritting his teeth as he kept his balance on his broom. She barely registered when Pansy got up, the majority of the Slytherins following her lead. She lifted her hand in the sky, counting silently before the Slytherin stands slowly began to pick up volume, all singing the same lyrics.

Madeline paid her house no mind. She continued to watch Fred, standing to get a better view as Draco flew higher and higher, listening to Lee Jordans incessant narration over the loudspeakers.

"And it's Johnson - Johnson with the Quaffle, what a player that girl is, I've been saying it for years but she still won't go out with me-"

"Jordan!"

"-Just a fun fact, Professor, adds a bit of interest-"

Madeline kept watching, even as Theo and Daphne started singing alongside her.

"And she's ducked Warrington, she's passed Montague, she's -ouch - been hit from behind by a Bludger from Crabbe..."

"What are you guys singing?" Madeline finally asked, turning to Daphne.

"-Montague catches the Quaffle, Montague heading back up the pitch and - nice Bludger there from George Weasley, that's a Bludger to the head for Montague, he drops the Quaffle, caught by Katie Bell, Katie Bell of Gryffindor reverse-passes to Alicia Spinnet and Spinnet's away.... And the crowd are loving this, just listen to them, what's that they're singing?'

As if on cue, all the Slytherins began singing louder, and together. Madeline finally realised exactly what Pansy had been planning.

"Weasley cannot save a thing,

He cannot block a single ring,

That's why Slytherins all sing:

Weasley is our King.

Weasley was born in a bin

He always lets the Quaffle in

Weasley will make sure we win

Weasley is our King."

"Isn't this too far?" Madeline tried to ask over the noise, but her words went unheard.

She turned to the pitch once more as Lee continued his commentary, much louder than before, clearly trying to drown the chants as McGonagall gestured to Snape. Of course, Professor Snape blatantly ignored any and all protests against his house.

The Slytherin stands went wild as Bletchley, the Slytherin Keeper, had saved a goal. The singing became even louder, despite both Theo and Daphne now also standing in silence.

Madeline watched as Harry became distracted, watching Ron as Warrington began flying towards the goal with the Quaffle.

"-So it's the first test for new Gryffindor Keeper Weasley, brother of Beaters Fred and George, and a promising new talent on the team-come on, Ron!"

Ron dived wildly, Madeline holding her breath as the Quaffle soared right through the central goal.

"Slytherin score!"

The Slytherin stands began cheering loudly, Madeline and her friends jumping up and down with glee alongside their friends. Yet, despite their cheering, Madeline's eyes glided over the pitch, watching an embarrassed Ron hang his head in shame.

And for a split second, Madeline's eyes met Fred's, who's were filled with nothing more than disappointment.

"WEASLEY WAS BORN IN A BIN,

HE ALWAYS LETS THE QUAFFLE IN..."

Harry and Draco both circled the stadium as the match continued. As the latter passed the Slytherin stands, Madeline faintly caught him singing along to his houses tune.

"Weasley is our king!"

It was only a few minutes before Slytherin scored yet another goal. The cheering and singing became unanimous, Pansy taking it upon herself to stand with her back to the match and conduct the crowds with her nose upturned and a smirk permanently plastered on her sour face.

There was still time for Gryffindor to catch up or catch the Snitch, and Madeline was sure they would've stood a chance, if Ron hadn't let two more goals through. It was like an unstoppable loop; the Slytherins sang louder, the Gryffindors played worse.

"-And Katie Bell of Gryffindor dodges Pucey, ducks Montague, nice swerve, Katie, and she throws to Johnson, Angelina Johnson takes the Quaffle, she's past Warrington, she's heading for goal, come on now, Angelina - GRYFFINDOR SCORE! It's forty-ten, forty-ten to Slytherin..."

"There's no way they can pull this back," Daphne realised, a smirk on her face, "It doesn't matter how many goals they score; we'll always score more as long as Ron is playing."

Daphne was right; the only way they could pull back was if-

"The Snitch!" Madeline shouted, pointing to where Draco and Harry both seemed to be zooming towards, "Look!"

Suddenly, all eyes in the Slytherin stands were on Draco. The cheering became relentless and even louder. The two boys were neck and neck, Madeline holding her breath as she watched Draco strain forwards towards the Snitch, both boys with their arms outstretched.

"Come on..." Daphne groaned, "Just grab it!"

And he did grab it. Harry, that is.

The Gryffindor stands exploded with cheers, the Slytherin cheers dying down in disappointment. They were only reignited slightly at the sight of Harry being hit by a Bludger square in the back, propelling to the ground.

Angry yells and catcalls were thrown across the stands. Madeline watched as the two Weasley brothers flew straight to Harry, Madame Hooch and Angelina following suit.

Madeline watched grimly at Draco approached them, too. She couldn't hear what was happening from so far up high, but it couldn't be anything good. Nevertheless, the Gryffindors seemed to be celebrating, drowning out whatever Draco had to say.

"Pure luck," Pansy sneered, turning all attention back to herself as she sat herself down grimly, despite some of the older Slytherins making their way out and down to the pitch to see their friends. Madeline remained glued to Daphne and Theo's side as they watched the movement on the pitch.

Fred and George had turned to Draco now, watching him almost threateningly as he continued to run his mouth. Madeline distantly heard Angelina tell Fred to leave everything alone, that Draco was all talk-

Harry grabbed hold of George. Meanwhile, it was taking the combined efforts of Angelina,

Alicia and Katie to stop Fred leaping on Malfoy, who was laughing openly.

"This isn't good," Madeline hissed, "Let's go down there too-"

In a blur of movement, Madeline watched George and Harry punch Malfoy square in the face and stomach.

"Oh," Daphne gasped, at the same time as Pansy screamed.

Immediately, everyone seemed to be moving to try and get a better view. George and Harry were immediately sent out of the pitch and away to the castle, Fred following behind them grimly with Angelina.

Draco was bruised and bleeding on the floor, Madame Hooch helping him up alongside Crabbe and Goyle. Pansy pushed past everyone, running to the pitch to accompany Draco to the Hospital Wing. Madeline, however, stayed still.

Because what else could she do?

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

"Oh, you poor thing," Pansy coo'ed over Draco for the hundredth time as she pressed a cold pack to his eye, the two nestled by the Slytherin fireplace.

"You're so brave," she continued with a sickly sweet voice, despite all of Draco's injures already having been healed hours prior (except for the bruising around his eye, although Madeline had a feeling Draco enjoyed the attention).

"Please, cut it out," Madeline groaned from her place at one of the round study tables, Daphne, Theo and Tracy sat with her, "Pansy, you've been coddling him for hours. Anymore and he might ask you to change his diapers."

A couple of snickers echoed through the common room, none coming from Pansy's goons. In fact, Pansy blatantly ignored her, continuing her praise of Draco.

"The song was pure genius," she continued, "Completely threw Weasley off his game-"

"Not enough, clearly," Draco mumbled, groaning as he stretched, "Oi, Bisset; how's your boyfriend doing?"

"Why do you care, Malfoy?" Madeline replied plainly, eyes fixed on her parchment as she completed her essay.

"Heard the twins got banned from playing ever again. Didn't you know?"

Madeline froze. No, she didn't know.

"Maybe you'll finally have a chance at winning, Malfoy," Madeline spat back, quill digging into her parchment, "What; was the Snitch too slippery for your grubby little slimy hands?"

Draco rolled his eyes, muttering under his breath, "Pathetic."

But Madeline's head was reeling. The twins were banned from Quidditch. And, looking back on the day, the Slytherins were most definitely out of order. She didn't believe a word her and her friends had sung along to, and yet the familiar bitter taste of guilt had started creeping up through her chest and in her mouth.

"Slytherin house is a victim of circumstance'" Madeline quoted with a scoff, turning to look at Draco and Pansy in the eyes, "I don't know who you're calling pathetic when you hide behind stereotypes to justify your actions. There's a difference in doing what you do to survive, and just being mean."

With a flourish of her quill, Madeline rolled up her parchment, picked up her inks and stormed out of the common room.

She had a lion to find.

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

The Gryffindors were slumped around the fireplace, winners and yet defeated. Ron hadn't been seen for hours, not even at dinner. There wasn't much chatter in the Gryffindor tower that night, most of the team opting to just stare into the fireplace aimlessly.

"It's just so unfair," said Alicia numbly, shaking her head, "I mean, what about Crabbe and that Bludger he hit after the whistle had been blown? Has she banned him?"

"Nope," Ginny replied miserably; "He just got lines, I heard Montague laughing about it at dinner."

"And banning Fred when he didn't even do anything!" Alicia exclaimed, "That's so unfair!"

"It's not my fault I didn't," Fred defended, with a very ugly look on his face, "I would've pounded the little scumbag to a pulp if you three hadn't been holding me back."

But Harry didn't reply. Instead, he stared out of the snowy window miserably, eyes searching the darkness for something, anything that could resemble a flicker of hope.

"I'm going to bed," Angelina announced, her tears now dried against her face, "Maybe this will all turn out to have been a bad dream... Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and find we haven't played yet..."

She was immediately followed by Alicia, Ginny and Katie. Lee Jordan followed not long after that, eventually only leaving Harry, Hermione, and the twins in the common room.

"Have you guys seen Ron anywhere?" Hermione eventually asked, "I think he's avoiding us."

"That much is obvious," George nodded, "I reckon he blames himself."

"He shouldn't," Harry shook his head, "That song would get to anyone in his position."

"Slytherin should be punished!" Hermione huffed, "It was completely out of order-"

In that precise moment, there was a creaking sound behind them as the Fat Lady swung forwards. Everyones eyes shot up, Hermione holding her breath hopefully as they all expected to see Ron. However, they were greeted with a very different sight.

"Hey," Madeline waved weakly, "Uh... Congratulations?"

"Not much to celebrate unfortunately," George snorted as Fred gave her a hug, pulling her down on the sofa with the group.

"I heard about the ban," Madeline sighed, "Completely unfair in my opinion, for the record."

"Gee, thanks," George replied sarcastically, earning himself a sharp nudge from Hermione.

"If I hadn't punched Malfoy..." Harry muttered.

"Hey, he deserved it," Madeline hushed him, "We kind of all did... Pansy took things too far."

"I won't deny that," Fred whispered to her, an arm around her waist, "But I get it, you did what you had to do."

What she had to do. The thought was bitter. In the last few months, it felt like her courage had disappeared. Where was the fire she had when she befriended Harry Potter? She didn't want to do what she had to do anymore.

But she wasn't that brave, not in that moment. And so, she said nothing, letting her head drop to Fred's shoulder as he stroked her side.

The time to be brave would come.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

239K 5.1K 48
Rose Weasley, the daughter of Molly and Arthur Weasley and the twin sister of Ginny Weasley. What happens when she goes to Hogwarts, will she get in...
1M 20.8K 57
Hogwarts and the Ministry of Magic fall to the power of the Dark Lord. Harry and the Weasleys manage to escape, but Hermione finds herself stuck in t...
1.2K 74 24
Book 1 Asteria Malfoy has just transferred back to Hogwarts after being gone since her first year. She is being thrown into a relatively new world, w...
780K 16.6K 141
What if Harry Potter had a twin sister but she got seperated from Harry after what happened the night He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named came and visited the P...