Worthy of Love (Hajime Hinata...

By UrbanDeity04

As part of the 77th Class of Hope's Peak Academy, you were immediately branded with a reputation as an elite... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27

Chapter 17

1.3K 50 57
By UrbanDeity04

  Back in the hotel room, you drew the bathtub water and waited for it to fill. You checked your phone, sorting a few emails and checking your texts. Your classmates had replied to a meme Gundham sent in the group chat, but otherwise, no texts. I really don't have that many people in my life.

  You set your phone on the bathroom counter, then turned off the tub faucet and carefully settled into the warm water. The magnificent window let you look up at the stars, accompanied by the vibrant half-moon. Besides you swishing the water occasionally, there was no movement or noise.

  "I'm sorry I missed your call earlier." You heard Hajime's voice. Beyond the window, you could see the balcony protrude from the exterior wall, giving you visual access to the lone teenager standing on it. Hajime was on the phone, staring at the sky.

  "Yes, I've looked over the paperwork again. I can come in sometime this week to finish the process." You listened to his half of the conversation. "Okay. Okay. I know. I apologize." He shifted his weight from one leg to the other. "With all due respect, I find that unnecessary. My personal life wouldn't have an effect on the project." His lips pursed. "Understood. I apologize." He leaned on the balcony railing, listening to the mystery person on the other end. "If I may ask, when do I need to make a final decision?" He waited. "...Okay. Okay. Thank you. Goodbye." You watched him pocket his phone, then clasp his hands and drop his head. His chest heaved with big, shaky breaths and his fingers were anxiously drumming on the railing.

  Is he okay?

  With a final sigh, he left the balcony and returned to the living room, giving you no more spectacle to behold.

  You finished up and changed. Hajime used the bathroom right after you, only taking a brief shower before getting back in bed with you.

  "I'm exhausted." Hajime rolled over to face you. "How are you feeling?"

  "I'm good." 

  Hajime looked at your face, his eyes darting around your facial features. 

  "What is it?" you asked.

  "Nothing." He smiled, never taking his eyes off you. 

  "You can go to bed now, if you're tired."

  "I might." He slipped under the covers, adjusting the pillow under his head.

  A slow conversation deescalated into Hajime falling asleep while you stayed up, busy on your phone.

  About an hour passed. You hadn't felt sleepy enough to go to bed, so you mindlessly checked emails and reviewed commissions. Hajime slept silently next to you, only twitching occasionally or rolling over.

  "GAAAAH!" A half-hour later, you were startled by the sudden scream of Hajime who bolted up, wide awake.

  "Hajime?" You dropped your phone. "Are you okay?"

  His jaw was tightly clenched and his eyes widened. He grasped at the sheets frantically while he looked wildly around the room. His chest moved rapidly to keep up with the quick breaths he was taking.

  "Hajime!" You crawled to his side and took him by the shoulders. "Hajime, what's wrong?"

  His eyes finally locked on to you, and his tremors somewhat slowed. He pulled the section of sheets he held up to his chest, keeping his frantic muscles still. His breathing remained rapid and his bottom lip quivered.

  "Hajime, say something." You kept your gaze on his eyes. Pure fear was spread across his face and your efforts were just barely succeeding in quelling the emotion.

  "I-I don't..." He hyperventilated, struggling to stay focused on you.

  "Breathe, Hajime. You need to get a hold of yourself."

  He dropped the sheets and clung to you, reaching behind and pulling you close to him. Your air was stolen from your lungs as he squeezed your body closer to his, grasping at your shirt with the same ferocity he did the sheets. His breathing was now tighter and raspy, but failed to slow in tempo.

  "Hajime-" His overwhelming strength pressing you into him made it difficult to complete a sentence. You laced your arms around him, hoping your acceptance of his embrace would soothe him.

  "I c-can't..."

  "Can't what?" You latched onto the few words he mustered out.

  "Can't take it anymore." He buried his head in your shoulder.

  Upon noticing that his breathing was beginning to slow, you gave him a bit of time to recover. Any attempt to pull back only result in his grip strengthening. It was painful, but you bore through it and waited for him.

  "Hajime, what happened?"

  He sighed, finally relaxing his hold on you. You kept embracing, though a little more comfortably than before. "I'm sorry."

  "Don't be sorry. You didn't do anything wrong. I just want to know what happened."

  "...Nothing. Just a nightmare."

  "Are you sure? I want to make sure you're okay."

  "I'm okay." He leaned back, tilting his head backwards. His face was somber, distorted by a crippling pain in his heart.

  "Hajime, tell me what's going on."

  He took your hand, sandwiching it between his own two. "Nothing is going on. I just had a bad dream."

  You couldn't believe that was all there was to it. "If you don't want to talk about it, that's okay. I'd rather you tell me the truth, though, than pretend like everything is fine."

  "I know," he lied. "I promise I'll tell you if there's an issue. Everything is fine right now."

  I just don't believe you. "Okay. You promise with all your heart?"

  He interlaced his fingers with yours and held your hand up by his chest. "With all my heart."

  You stayed close to him until both of you fell asleep, wrapped in each other's warmth. You listened to his heartbeat slow down to a regular tempo while his breaths remained slow and deep.

  The following morning, it was as if the entire situation had never happened. You had somehow separated during the night, ending up on opposite sides of the bed. Hajime was awake before you, remaining motionless on his half of the bed.

  "Good morning," you mumbled.

  "Good morning," he echoed.

  "How are you?" You held yourself up on your elbows.

  "I'm doing well."

  "Are you sure?" You couldn't meet his eyes, but remained confident enough to address the issue. 

  "Yes. I'm sorry if I concerned you." Slight culpability was heard in his tone. 

  "You did, just a little." Sitting up, you mirrored his position on the bed.

  "Well, let's forget about it. We've still got a lot of time before our flight back. Come on, what do you want to do today?"

  A few hours later, you found yourself parasailing high above the ocean water with Hajime. The single sailor piloting the boat was an ant now, his small movements almost indiscernible. Gusts of wind tore through your hair and billowed the parachute behind you. 

  "You having fun?" Hajime shouted over the wind. He was immediately next to you, seated in a web of ropes and harnesses attached to the boat.

  Your bare legs dangled freely as you leaned back. "Yes! This is great!"

  Next, you clung to Hajime's waist while he sped through the waters on a jet ski.

  "I didn't know you could drive these." You pressed your face into his bare back, tensing  your arms laced around his waist.

  "Yeah, I learned a few years ago. Do you wanna try?" He slowed the vehicle.

  "Oh, there's no way. It looks so difficult." You shook your head.

  "Not at all. Let me show you. Come in front."

  With positions reversed, you held on to the rubbery handles while Hajime straddled the seat behind you and leaned forward. His chest pressed into your back and his head hovered above your shoulder.

  "There you go." He put his hands on your arms. "Now use that handle there. Squeeze it gently."

  On your right-hand bar, a smaller handle reminiscent of that of a bicycle brake was present. You wrapped a few fingers around the handle and applied the slightest amount of pressure.

  "You'll have to put in a little more strength than that," Hajime laughed.

  Taking his advice, you gave it a tighter squeeze. The jet ski zoomed forward, bringing its passengers flying forward as well. You might've fallen off the vehicle if Hajime wasn't pinning you down.

  "Sorry!" You released the handle. "Sorry. I didn't realize-"

  "It's okay." Hajime seemed unfazed and still held his jubilant attitude. "Let's try again. Hold on tight."

  He put his hands on yours this time. Your heart, though believed to be a veteran of receiving affectionate gestures, was once again pounding away at the closeness of your bodies.

  After a few more tricky attempts, you got the hang of it somewhat and took off across the ocean waters. 

  A few hours passed, and a light rain forced you back inside. Your suite had been cleaned, with a few complimentary delicacies left isolated on the coffee table. 

  "It's our last day here," you said. 

  "Yeah." Hajime leaned on the kitchenette counter, typing on his phone. "We've got a late flight, unfortunately. I didn't want to keep us up on a school night, but it was the only flight available."

  "That's okay. I can handle staying up late."

  "We'll leave around 5. I'll get a cab." Hajime moved to the bedroom, disappearing as he spoke. 

  "What should we do until then?" you asked yourself and him.

  "I don't know," his voice echoed from the next room. "We don't have to do anything." 

  "You want to just relax?" You sat on the couch, leaning into the idea. 

  "Yeah." Hajime reappeared, joining you on the couch. "I was pretty worn out anyway."

  "You seem like it." 

  "What's that supposed to mean?" He laughed, insinuating his retort held no malice.

  "Nothing. I just worry for you."

  "You don't need to, you know."

  "Yeah I do. You're my...friend."

  "Well, I've got everything under control. I don't want you to worry about anything."

  "I know you're pretty capable, Hajime. I believe in you, but..."

  "...Yeah?"

  "I don't know. Are you sure there's nothing going on?" You didn't want to allude to his conversation you overheard, but you knew you weren't baseless.

  "(Y/n), I promise you, there is nothing detrimental going on right now. I might have panicked last night, but that was nothing more than a nightmare. If there is ever something that comes up that is an issue beyond my control, I will tell you. Okay?"

  "Okay."  

  The flight back was uneventful. You didn't have any energy to work, so the time was spent sleeping or idly gazing out the window at the dark sky beyond. The lights of Japan abruptly cut off at the coastline, now an inky abyss barely illuminated by the moon. 

  "(Y/n)."

  "Yeah?"

  "I had a great time with you. I loved all of it." Hajime's eyes were closed while he talked, like he was dreaming about the experience.

  "Me too." 

  "I never want to leave your side."

  "Hm?" Hajime! What are you saying?

  "Let's do more of this, (y/n)." He acted like he didn't say anything remotely suggestive. 

  "...Yeah, we will."

  Back on the academy grounds, you felt a melancholic wave wash over as you had to accept the continuation of your school life. Hajime walked you to the gate of the Main Academy, then bid you good night. You watched him leave, then turned and entered the building.

  Inside, Nagito stood. "Welcome back."

  "Do you need something?" 

  "No. Just thought I'd greet you."

  "Thanks, but I don't need it. I'll see you tomorrow in class." You passed him quickly.

  "Did you learn anything?" he asked.

  "What?" You slowed your pace.

  "While you were away. Did you learn anything?" 

  "About what?"

  "About him."

  You pursed your lips. "I don't know what you're talking about." You left swiftly, running from the mystery you weren't prepared to tackle. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 112 10
Izuru Kamukura and Nagito Komaeda have been friends for a year at Hopes Peak Academy. Today is Valentines Day, a day known for love but for these two...
1K 97 20
Hajime Hinata is a student enrolled in Hope's Peak Academy's Reserve Course. He happened to meet a strange guy by the name of Nagito Komaeda, who was...
122K 4.3K 12
"You mean the world to me Komaeda! You think we could've just forgotten about you that easily? Why do you think I hang out with you right now? Cause...
21.1K 515 16
You're the ultimate optimist, and you've been chosen to attend hope's peak academy...You meet all of the others chosen...You meet Nagito, He seems fr...