Of Smoke and Stardust [[COMPL...

By Callabare

A Gritty Space Opera: When Alya and Parker have to team up and work together, personalities clash, and sparks... More

Disclaimer
CHAPTER 1-ALYA
CHAPTER 2-PARKER
CHAPTER 3- ALYA
CHAPTER 4- PARKER
CHAPTER 5-ALYA
CHAPTER 6- PARKER
CHAPTER 8-PARKER
CHAPTER 9-ALYA
CHAPTER 10-PARKER
CHAPTER 11-ALYA
CHAPTER 12-PARKER
CHAPTER 13- ALYA
CHAPTER 14-PARKER
CHAPTER 15-ALYA
CHAPTER 16-PARKER
CHAPTER 17-ALYA
CHAPTER 18-PARKER
CHAPTER 19- ALYA
CHAPTER 20- PARKER
CHAPTER 21- ALYA
CHAPTER 22- PARKER
CHAPTER 23-ALYA
CHAPTER 24-PARKER
CHAPTER 25-ALYA
CHAPTER 26-PARKER
CHAPTER 27-ALYA
CHAPTER 28-PARKER
CHAPTER 29-ALYA
CHAPTER 30 - PARKER
CHAPTER 31-ALYA
Author's Note

CHAPTER 7-ALYA

190 22 0
By Callabare

        The next few moments were a blur. So fast, Alya could hardly get a grasp on it. She was sitting over Parker, her knee digging into his back, and the syringe in her hand that had made a dent through this neck. That would keep him silent. For now.

        As soon as Parker stopped moving, Zion stood and pressed the speak button on the comm. "Kaz, get us out of here. Now!" He turned and pointed to Rowan. "Get to the deck, on blasters in case the exit gets blocked and we have to blow our way out."

        Rowan gave a curt nod and dashed up the stairs. Kaz's voice announced from the intercoms, "launching now, Captain." His voice was as calm as if this were just a drill, and not a life or death situation. No wonder Zion chose him as pilot; he knew how to keep his cool.

            The Kerostasia lifted with a jerk that almost made Alya lose her footing. "Everyone, bury your heads in your knees," She screamed over the roar of engine. "Brace Yourselves!"

        All the prisoners threw themselves to the floor, obeying the order instantly; reflexively. The older man—Joksar grabbed the kid Alya had released in one hand and tucked him beneath his body to protect him from harm.

        A hush befell around them, ominous fear laden the air, interrupted only by the heavy breathing of men waiting for their death—or life. Only time would decide. The hangar raced by as the exit came at them, fast.

        Parker's body slid on the floor like a rag doll, and without thinking Alya flung herself over his limp body, bracing him in her arms so he wouldn't be smashed into the walls as the ship careened forward with a violent lurch.

        Not even in her worst nightmares, had Alya experienced fear like this. Her ears rang with screams and screeching of metal that sent her nerves on edge. She held onto Parker with all her strength as explosions from outside rocked the ship, the blast of the Mellowmont propelling them through the rubble. She lifted her face, and saw people sliding across the floor, wailing and grabbing for anything they could. Zion was hanging onto the railing of the staircase with one hand, with other he held a prisoner's arm so he wouldn't fall and hit his head.

        Alya eyes flitted to the small window embedded into the cargo bay airlock door. The world outside was caught in flame—a ferocious orange beast ready to swallow the vast blackness.

        The ship shuddered around them. Dread curdled her blood, biting her insides with its sharp teeth. For a moment, Alya thought it would combust and roast them alive in its belly. All their effort, all the lives they saved, all been for nothing.

        The lights overhead flickered erratically and Alya thought it was over. She would die in the fiery embrace of the Kerostasia, and her ashes would drift into the abyss of space.

        And then, suddenly, the jerking stopped. The ship levelled out, and sailed smoothly through space, leaving all the destruction behind. Alya slowly released Parker from her grip and looked around to make sure everyone was all right. People groaned and picked themselves up off the floor—a few had bumps, bruises, and someone had hit their head, leaving a small gash on their forehead, but besides that, everyone seemed fine. Across from her, Zion was helping the prisoners to their feet.

        Rowan came barreling down the stairs and almost fell over the railing as he halted to a stop. "Nobody panic. I've saved us all."

        Alya ignored him, laid Parker on the floor and stood up, her eyes fixed on her captain for his next instruction. Zion called over the comm, "Status?"

        A second later, Kaz's voice echoed over the announcement. "We made it out of harm's way. No significant damage to the ship."

        Zion let out a breath of relief. "All right, Kaz, keep her going steady. Jorrit, you get in contact with HQ?"

        Jorrit's voice buzzed over the comm. "Aye, Captain. They'll meet us at the nearest port. I've got the coordinates set."

'"Good. You," Zion turned to Rowan who had come to stand beside Alya. "Take the prisoners downstairs. Put them in the brig. If they try anything, don't hesitate to use force as needed." His voice was deep and commanding, and Alya knew he meant every word he said. Their crew was small, and if the prisoners rioted, they'd be in trouble. Zion needed to make the prisoners believe it would be stupid to try anything.

        "What about this one?" Rowan nudged Parker with the tip of his boot. With an eye-roll, Alya kicked his foot away and stood between him and Parker. Prick, She thought at him.

        Zion walked over and hauled Parker over his shoulder. "I'm taking him to the infirmary. The effect of the sedative will wear off soon, we need to keep an eye on this one before he pulls another stunt. Al, follow me."

        Without waiting for her to follow, Zion vanished down the corridor. Alya stood there for a few heartbeats, then took in a deep breath before she turned her gaze towards the prisoners Rowan was ushering to move, thankfully without being rude. The prisoners—around forty that they managed to save out of the two hundred kept in the Mallowmont—still shaken from the blast, followed him without any protest.

        They were dirty, bruised, bloody, and all shared the same haunted look in their eyes. They were out of Mallowmont, but they were still prisoners. They'd be sent someplace else for the remainder of their sentencing, but at least they were alive.

        All the lives they had left behind...Guilt twinged her gut; Alya looked away from the line of prisoners.

        "Sometimes we have to make decision we don't want to," came a low voice from behind her. Alya was quick to blink away her tears that had begun to sting her eyes. She turned to face the kid standing behind her; the one she rescued.

        She clapped his shoulder. "Yes. Sometimes our job demands us to be cruel." Alya tried to smile, but it faltered.

        The boy lowered his head, for a second before looking up directly into her eyes. "Whatever happens to me, do you promise to find my brother? And tell my mom that I'm alive?"

        For a moment Alya couldn't bring herself to speak the truth, that she already met his mother, and worse, she was probably in prison—or dead. She closed her eyes for a brief moment, recalling her encounter with the woman in Nova-Panos... When she reopened them, she found the boy gone, moved away with other prisoners. "I promise we'll tell your mother, and find your brother."Alya whispered, more to herself than the boy.

        With a sigh, Alya took the stairs up to the infirmary on the second level, just above the brig and past the resident quarters. Light strips lined the grey metal walls on either side of the passage, showering her in a bluish luminosity. As she neared the infirmary, the distinct smell of disinfectant and sterilizer hit her nostrils. The lights embedded into the white celling had cast the entire room in a florescent halo. The walls were white, while all the drawers and cabinets were made of shiny stainless steel. The overhead light suddenly seemed so bright, it stung her eyes and made her see spots when she blinked. The Kerostasia may be a small Starfleet, but the infirmary contained all the latest medical facilities, including a healing tank for extreme cases. Thankfully, Alya or any of the other Hawks were lucky enough not to end up in there yet.

        As she pushed the door open, her eyes fell on Parker lying on the bed closest to the entrance, his eyes closed. Zion wasn't as muscular as Rowan, but he didn't have much difficulty carrying him all the way down here. Standing in the doorway, Alya crossed her arms, and took in Parker's face. Even with the bruises and the cuts, he was handsome, if not exquisitely beautiful—both rugged and refined. In sleep he looked so peaceful, so innocent. No one would be able tell what darkness lurked behind that innocence.

        Next to his bed sat Nyx with her back plopped against a pillow. But that wasn't what made Alya's eyes widen—it was seeing Zion leaning over her bed, bandaging her injured leg with gentle care, clearly unaware of Alya's presence.

        Zion laid her leg down on another pillow. "How are you holding up?" He asked in a soft voice that Alya hadn't heard him use in a long time. Even from the other side of the room Alya could clearly see color creeping into her friend's pale cheeks.

        "I'm fine." Nyx looked away, unable to hide her blush.

        Zion straightened and patted Nyx's shoulder. "I know you're tough. I need you to take care of yourself, and get back to work soon. I—we'll miss you, Nyx."

        Alya felt an irresistible urge to stride over and mush their faces together. Seriously? Was Zion really too blind to see what everyone else could—or was he just being afraid after what happened with Elaine? Even Alya, who had always been sane enough not to fall for such stupid things like love, could feel the spark between them—unfortunately for Nyx, it was one sided. Unrequited.

        Nyx always wore her toughness like a shell, protecting the soft heart on the inside, but sometimes she reminded Alya of the timid, shy girl from their Academy days—too nice to stand up for herself, which was why Alya did it for her. Nyx didn't know about Zion. His past was not Alya's to share. There were things that should remain closely guarded—and the revelation could break Nyx's heart.

        Alya shook her head. She loved Nyx as much as she loved Zion, and didn't want either of them to get hurt.

        Zion turned, and caught Alya staring. He quickly averted his blue eyes. "Well, I'll take my leave and see if everything is alright in the brig."  He quickly exchanged a look with Nyx, their eyes met and Nyx's blush deepened. "Al," Zion coughed once. "Please tend to Nyx."

        "Aye, captain." Alya could hardly keep the smirk off her face. Zion frowned and began to walk away when Alya was struck with a question.

        "Captain," she called. "What will happen to the prisoners when the rescue ship comes?"

        Zion paused, but didn't turn around right away. "I don't know, Al." he looked over his shoulder. "Their fates aren't mine to decide.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

280 25 25
Taking a trip to the past explaining Jason and Nora love Story. #romance #violence #hardcore #Grosome
156 4 58
Dive in an adventure, deep into the future, where Earth is united and is facing an enemy she created herself. All through the eyes of two twins, star...
97 0 31
Set in an alternate future where the government rules over all and those who don't follow the status quo are sent to a prison called the Camp to work...
24 3 5
The follow-up to Unfrequented. The crew returns home to the mega-station with the spoils of their latest discovery. They are attacked by two separa...