Dark Night Dawning

By charlotte1974

This story is a continuation of the series Himalayan Magic as wells as the alternate version of the original... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Epilogue

Chapter 25

3.5K 215 38
By charlotte1974

Palak's wedding day had finally arrived. It was about 4 o'clock in the evening, and Khushi stood in her room getting dressed early so that she could go over to help Palak with her makeup. The last couple of days were a whirlwind of thoughts for Khushi. Arnav's past had given her a new insight about his behaviour. Di had told her he had started believing in love. But she knew better. Though he had started to care for her, he would never love her. Her love would have to be enough to take them through the rest of their life. Rest of their life? She remembered the emphatic declarations she made in front of Di -----He better be ready with the answers......

Well, he was the one who wanted her to come to Delhi one month ago, hadn't he? He would have to put up with her, she thought as she finally draped her saree over her left shoulder. Suddenly, the doorbell rang. Surajji was early!

She hurried up to the door and opened the latch on the door and turned back without looking, 'You are early Surajaji, I need 10 more minutes,' she said walking back.

'I missed you too.....' said a husky voice.

Arnav!

The first glimpse he had of her had stumped him totally. She was wearing the beautiful red chikan saree he had bought for her. She had her back turned toward him. With her lovely long hair in a clip and her dori undone, her back was completely bare, with only a small strip of cloth separating her upper back and her tiny waist , exposing the creamy smooth skin slick with sweat. His breath hitched at the way her hips swayed with her urgency to get back.

'Arr....navji?' Khushi's dhak dhak began slowly, and she whirled around, her eyes going wide with surprize. 'what are you doing here?' she asked him as her dhak-dhak increased in tempo.

She looked even more breath taking from the front, with her kajal emphasizing the beauty of her eyes. Her pallu was roughly gathered together on her shoulder, giving him a glimpse of her curvy waist and her delectable navel.

But then she had said Surajji....... Damn!

''What do you mean, what I am doing here?' he asked her irritated that she seemed so indifferent, 'I am here to attend Palak's wedding of course,' he said smoothly though his heart had started to beat in an erratic pattern.

'Oh ....' Did she sound a wee bit disappointed?

'Arnavji!?' Suraj was at the door, 'Namaste......its good you were able to make it......Palak will be so happy!'

'I am glad to hear that at least some one will be happy,' he replied sarcastically, looking at Khushi.

'Uh.....Khushiji...... do you still need a ride to the hall?' asked Suraj doubtfully.

'Yes Surajji, I promised Palak I would do her make up' she said looking at Arnav defiantly. If he didn't like Suraj, that was his problem. What did he think of himself? Did he think he could leave whenever he liked and come back when he liked? If he thought that she would just drop everything for him he better think again. 'I will back in just a few minutes Surajji.'

'One minute Khushi,' Arnav's voice stopped Khushi. He walked up to her and lifting his hands he took her dori in his hands, all the time looking into her eyes, a barely controlled temper simmering in them. Her eyes flashed at him as she stared right back. As he roughly pulled the strings together in a tight knot, Khushi's breath hitched, and she let out a gasp. He then moved his hand up in her hair and undid the clasp on her clip. Ab theek hai.......

Khushi quietly turned around and went back into her room, her whole body quivering. Laad Governor was incorrigible!

As Suraj watched this entire scene, he sensed tension emanating from them in waves. He felt sorry for Khushi.

Arnav turned around and smiled thinly at Suraj. He looked extra traditional today in a red sherwani. There was gold work all over the collar and neckline which dipped in a deep v. He could have shown off his chest to woo the girls but Saint Suraj had chosen to cover himself up with a red silk scarf. It was probably the latest style in ethnic fashions.

As Khushi came out ready to go to the wedding, Suraj said politely, 'I will see you at the wedding Arnavji.'

As Arnav watched them leave, he thought about Khushi's question ----what are you doing here? His memories went back ------

**

2 Days ago, London, UK

Arnav paced about in his hotel room thinking about Khushi. He missed her. He missed her food, her chatter, the khan-khan of her bangles, the tinkling of her payal. He had forgotten his medications yesterday as he was used to her reminding him every day. He couldn't sleep at night as he missed having her in his arms while he slept. He missed her like hell!

He thought about her outburst a few days ago. She had been upset with him even before the dinner. He had been so stressed out with the new project that he had no idea what had upset her. Then at dinner it had not helped that Saint Suraj had driven him up the wall with all his insinuations about being kind and understanding. He knew he shouldn't have offended Khushi like that by saying personal things in front of others. But why hadn't she confronted him about that? Instead she had hurled unrelated accusations.....All they want is a woman's body! .....Nothing else matters to them.....

Her words had a striking similarity to Shyam's words ------

I have no doubt why he wants you --- your exquisite beauty tempts his rather jaded appetite ----- but when the bloom's worn off he'll discard you like a broken toy and never give you another thought.

Was she still letting Shyam's words get to her like that? Had he ever given her such a vibe? He had stayed with her in Lucknow and had tried his best to prove to her that they were compatible. He had behaved like a normal husband, supporting her in whatever she wanted to do. It was a physical torture to have her that close and not be able to touch her. But he had made a conscious effort to stay away from her ......well almost. There was that passionate kiss they had shared in the kitchen. He knew that she was not averse to him from the way her body had responded to his touch. Then what had happened on the night of the movie?

She had been crying. Had he really behaved like a cad when he had tried to kiss her? Was she expecting him to hold her, talk to her --- comfort her? Guilt gnawed at him. Was she expecting words of love?

Once again Shyam's words came back to haunt him ----

So much love for someone who will never love you back? Arnav isn't capable of love. I have seen him move from one woman to the other ----- not one has ever touched his heart.

Shyam was wrong! Khushi had touched his heart. He remembered the words Anjali told him when Shyam's truth had come out -----

The fact is that we are both the way we are because of our disturbed childhood. You were the most closest to mama and so you couldn't get over what happened to her. You decided then that you would never allow anyone to hurt you like that.......

You had to grow up overnight shouldering responsibilities, normally an adult would have and in this process, you built a wall around yourself, which no one could penetrate, sometimes not even me. But she managed it somehow, didn't she?'

Yes, Khushi had penetrated through the walls and had embedded herself into his very being. Now, it was time for him to bring down those walls and prove that Shyam was wrong.....

It was time to prove what he was capable of!

The next morning Arnav sat in the conference room of JW Ltd. making last minute changes to his presentation slides. 'Good morning ASR!' Lavanya greeted him as she walked in.

'Good morning Lavanya,' replied Arnav, 'So what is the status?'

'You have made tremendous progress in the couple of days' she said emphatically, 'I am pretty sure you will have the deal in your pocket by the time you finish your final presentation today.'

'That's good news.' Arnav was relieved to hear that he had managed to do some damage control by working with the JW team members personally.

The talks regarding this deal had started three months ago when Lavanya had visited India. Then the US crisis had cropped up and while he was in the US fixing that, the London project had got delayed. Later when he decided to stay in Lucknow, he had delegated the job for the proposal to Aman's team. The proposal had so many errors in it that they had almost lost the deal. But it was not entirely the team's fault. He was supposed to do the final review which he had been unable to complete as the internet connection was completely down for a couple of days and he had neglected going to an internet centre to check his e-mails.

Lavanya's said, 'ASR, to be honest, when I spoke to you a few days ago when you were in Lucknow, I was not so sure that this deal between AR and JW Ltd. was likely to happen. Though I did my best to help you out, your presence here was absolutely needed.'

'Thanks for all your help Lavanya ---- as I mentioned earlier, I don't think this would have been possible without you being here,' said Arnav gratefully, 'I hope today's presentation goes well.'

An hour later, Arnav finished his presentation and took his seat at the table. In the meeting that ensued, the team at JW made it very clear that they were definitely interested in taking the deal forward. They told Arnav that they had been sceptical after the first proposal but after working with him for the past couple of days and today's presentation they would be extremely happy to work with AR. However, they also told him that they would like him to make the presentation once again to their CEO in a couple of days as he was currently in Germany.

Arnav thought it over for a few seconds and addressed the COO, 'I am sorry Mr Grant..... that might be a problem. I am leaving for India tomorrow as I have to attend an important wedding.'

Lavanya who was present in the meeting was shocked to hear Arnav turning down an opportunity for a meeting with the CEO of JW.

'Is this a very important person Mr Raizada?' asked Mr Grant surprized at Arnav's announcement, 'are you sure you will not be able to avoid this wedding? It is very crucial for you to meet Mr Wills, to finalize the deal.'

'Yes.... she is very important .....to my wife,' he said without blinking an eye, 'and no, I don't think I will be able to avoid it. I could come back here next week to meet with Mr Wills, but I will understand if this going to be a problem. Thank you.' Arnav shook hands with the team and left the conference followed by Lavanya.

'It finally happened!' exclaimed Lavanya grinning widely.

'What?' asked Arnav, not able to understand Lavanya's statement.

'The mighty ASR, turning down a business opportunity for someone.....it's a bloody miracle!'

'I am meeting NK for dinner,' he said a small lop-sided smile playing on his lips, 'I guess I will see you there tonight?' Arnav walked out of the office while Lavanya continued to grin looking at his retreating back.

This morning, Delhi, India

Arnav entered his sister's room to see her putting her baby down for a nap. His nani was sitting on a chair by the bed.

'Chotte, when did you come?' Anjali asked him surprized to see him back earlier than expected, 'How did your meeting go?'

'I came in early this morning Di,' he informed her, 'I am not so sure about the meeting though. I wasn't able to meet their CEO as I had to come back here to attend this wedding in Lucknow tonight.'

'You came back all the way from London, without completing your work, to attend a wedding in Lucknow?' she asked him her eyes wide with surprize.

'It's actually the other way around,' explained Arnav, 'I left Lucknow because this project was on red alert and needed my immediate attention. Now that the damage control is done, I am going back. What's the big deal?'

'You left Lucknow only because of this meeting?' Naniji seemed a little surprized as well.

'Yes Nani!' he told her looking at them strangely. What was with all the questions !'Alright Di, I have to rush now, I have to go to the office for a few hours before I catch a flight to Lucknow.'

'How long do you plan to stay this time?' asked Naniji.

'Umm..... not very long, Khushi and I should be back soon.' Arnav replied quickly.

'Do you think Khushi will come back with you Chotte?' asked Anjali looking at Naaniji mischievously.

'Oh she is coming back alright ------ even if I have tie her up and carry her over my shoulder,' he told them walking out of the room.

**

As Arnav stood in the bedroom getting dressed for the wedding, he remembered the arrogant declaration he had made in front of his sister and nani. He had come all the way from London, walking out of an important deal and what did he see? His gorgeous wife dressed to kill in a stunning red saree and miniscule blouse ----walking away with the saint. He hadn't spent one month in this sweltering heat, neglecting his business to finally get beaten by a halwai! If someone had told him a few months ago that he would be competing with a kurta clad, shudh hindi speaking desi boy he would have laughed. And here he was checking himself out in the mirror. F@%*!

Khushi finished with Palak's makeup and came back to the area where the guests were seated waiting for the Jaymala to commence. When she looked at the beautifully set stage, painful memories of the time she had walked down the ramp in fear came back to her. She stemmed them forcefully as she began to serve cool drinks to the guests. Suddenly she felt her heart begin its slow dhak-dhak and her body suffused with an awareness she had come to recognize. He was here! Then she heard excited murmurs from the Palak's cousins who were also serving the guest Jeejaji! .... looks so.... Wow Khushi turned around to see what the excitement was all about. She was zapped!

Arnav stood there looking dashing in a plain off-white short jacket. It had a wide chinese collar, completely decorated with intricate gold work. The jacket had beautiful gold buttons down its length, on either side of the flap. He wore simple slim fit black slacks and black shoes. He looked like her sapnon ka rajkumar!

'What the hell are you doing?' shrieked a lady bringing Khushi back to earth. Khushi realized she was serving the drink to the lady's expensive glittery saree!

'Sorry aunty!' said Khushi, regretfully apologizing to the indignant woman. The Laad Governor was always trouble!

Arnav's eyes sought out Khushi and followed her wherever she went. Payal's cousin had flocked around him and gushing to him about something that just register in his head. He didn't want to take his eyes off her. As she seemed very busy helping with the guests, he decided to go by himself and wish Palak and Prateek as they stood on the stage. Palak was thrilled that he had come back for the wedding.

As he got off the stage, his eyes again searched for Khushi. He spotted her talking to Suraj who seemed a little agitated. He was leading Khushi away toward the garden. Arnav temper rose. How dare he? He wasn't going to let this happen all over again! He decided to go after them so that he could give that irritating son of a !@#$% a piece of his mind.

Arnav followed the direction they had taken and found them facing each other at the far end of a gazebo. The gazebo was at a higher level elevated by few steps. He was about to take the first step when he heard Suraj's question and froze.

'Why do you let Arnavji treat you like that Khushiji?'

Arnav wanted to barge in and bash Suraj's face, but he stopped himself. He wanted to hear her answer.

'Like what?' asked Khushi confused about his question.

'Like he owns you!' he exclaimed.

'I don't understand what you are saying Surajji,' said Khushi unable to comprehend him.

'Alright, I will spell it out for you,' he began frustrated, 'He is rude to you when he talks to you. The other day when you got hurt at the fuse box, he yelled at you, then later when the water trucks came, he insulted you in front of everyone. At the dinner the other night...... the way he spoke.....I was so embarrassed for you Khushiji. I feel so sorry that you _____' Suraj stopped when he saw Khushi had bent her head and her body was shaking.

Arnav wondered if Khushi was crying when suddenly she lifted her head and he saw her shaking with laughter! He also saw Suraj looking at her as if she had just grown two horns.

'Khushiji, are you alright?' asked Suraj baffled by her behaviour.

Khushi seemed unstoppable as she continued for a good 30 seconds. 'Khushiji?' he tried once again.

'Sorry Surajji,' Khushi apologized earnestly, 'I am alright now. What you said was so funny.' Khushi continued when she realized he was waiting for an explanation, 'That is how we are, and have been right from the beginning. He is a little temperamental, that's all. Nothing I can't handle. If you think this is bad, you should hear about the things I have done to him!

She continued emphatically, 'Once, I put orange juice in his shoe, another time I threw hot tea that scalded his chest, then, I put something in his juice that caused irritation in his throat and that is just half the things.'

Arnav chuckled silently as he remembered the incidents she was talking about.

'What?!'Suraj was at a loss for words, 'are you telling me you don't mind?'

'Surajji, it doesn't work that way,' began Khushi, 'Each couple has a different equation. Some relationships are steady and calm like diya and baati. For example, Payal jiji and Jeeju. But Arnavji and I ......its mostly fireworks. It's a little complicated. It is difficult for people to understand. But you will understand......when you find your Chanda .....er.... I mean the one meant for you.'

As Khushi began to walk away, he asked her, 'Is this equation between you .....love?'

Arnav's held his breath. Khushi paused a little before she answered him, 'In the last couple of days I been thinking about this and have come to this conclusion .....

'Why should we name this thing between us? I think it should be left as a question mark. Because, once that question is answered ....it ends..... and I don't want it to end Surajji,' she said cryptically,

'I think I better get back...... the phere will begin any moment now.' Khushi turned around and left.

Suraj stood rooted to the spot looking even more confused than he was before. But there was no confusion in Arnav. He understood her perfectly like only he could. He released his breath he was holding, as the rhythm of his heartbeat returned to a normal tempo. He needed to take a walk.

By the time Arnav returned to the wedding, the ceremony was almost over. The stage seemed to be getting cleared for some event. Suddenly a loud voice on the mike broke into his thoughts. He saw a man announcing on the stage that some of the married men who were friends of the couple were invited to come on stage and say a few things to their wives to make them happy. He said this would be like a tip to Prateek so that he would be able to keep Palak happy in the future. This was a fun game organized by Pateek's bachelor friends from Mumbai. A couple of married men sportively went up the stage. One sang the song Kabhi Kabhi Mere Dil Mein and another recited the ghazal Tumko Dekha To Yeh Khayal Aaya in the form of a poem. Then more men went up and began sang more songs. Suddenly, someone was announcing Arnav's name. 'May we have Mr Arnav Singh Raizada on the stage please?'

Khushi stopped in her tracks as she was helping Palak's mom in handing out gifts to the guests. 'Hey Devi Maiyya! This can't be happening!' She was even more shocked to see Arnav walk up to the stage.

As he stood on the stage his eyes looked for Khushi in the crowd. He thought of the first time he had seen Khushi walking down the stage – a beautiful skittish doe in her green lehenga, a golden chunni on her heard and a beautiful chain around her waist. When she fell into his arms and had looked up at him with those luminous eyes, his heart had skipped a beat. He had known right then that she was going to create havoc in his life. And how she did! They had come to a full circle today.

He took a deep breath and began to talk on the mike, 'I am not very good in hindi.....so I am going to say some lines I learnt some time ago ....' He looked into Khushi's eyes reflecting trepidation, his own brown chocolate ones filled with resolve as he said, 'Khushi.......

Main tumko chodke chalagaya....main apne mann ko behla raha tha ki koi faraq nahi padta....par tum yeh jaanti ho ki main tumhare bina jeena hi sakta....

(I left you behind .... I was fooling myself that it didn't matter .... but you know that I cannot live without you...)

Jab jo kiya....jab jo kaha ....sab bhool jaao.... bas waapas aajao......

(Whatever I did ... whatever I said ... forget everything ... just come back to me ...)

Aaj kisi aur cheez ka koi matlab nahi, kisi jhoot ka.....kisi sach ka...bas ek cheez ka matlab hai...

(Today nothing else matters... all those lies ... the truth ... the only thing that matters is this ...)

Agar tum nahi to main bhi nahi......tumhare bina mera koi wajood nahi....jab tum meri zindagi mein na ho to meri zindagi ka koi matlab nahi....sirf isi janam mein hi nahi...agle har janam mein....tum aur main kabhi alag nahi honge.....

(Without you my I am nothing ... without you I don't have an identity ... without you my life is meaningless... )

Jab jo bura kaha uska koi matlab nahi....jab jo bura kiya uska koi matlab nahi...bas ek cheez ka matlab hai ki main humesha humesha tumse .......

(Everything wrong I ever said or did doesn't matter .... the only thing that matters is this ... I will forever forever....

There was pin drop silence as Arnav paused for a moment and they both looked at each other for countless seconds, tears flowing freely from her eyes, while his were moist. And then he lowered the timbre of his voice as he said the words that she had been waiting to hear for an eternity -----

'KHUSHI I LOVE U!'

As soon as he had uttered those words, he saw Khushi turn around and run toward the exit, She was leaving!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.9K 821 5
Ipkknd continuation story
451K 17.4K 36
The story is based on ISS PYAAR KO KYA NAAM DHOON. It begins after Diwali night,which forces Khushi to see things differently and to fight for her fa...
76.6K 3.4K 14
What if Arnav realizes that Khushi is innocent on the day of Holi after their Contract marriage. What will Arnav do to protect Anjali and Khushi? How...
35.5K 2.7K 20
Arnav learns about Khushi's engagement and he is shattered. He has questions but will Khushi answer them? Garima wonders if she was being fair with K...