Prove Me Worthy

By ravalieri

Dionne Avira Sanchez has achieved many things and yet, Elias de Gracia appears to be unattainable to her. She... More

00

3 0 0
By ravalieri

I pursed my lips as I tapped my pen on the table. Patuloy ang pagpaliwanag ng architect sa bagong project. It was a 400,000 sq. ft. mall. Hindi ito bago para sa kompanya kung saan ako nagtatrabaho pero importante pa rin na sundin ang tamang proseso lalo na at isa itong lugar kung saan maraming tao ang pumupunta.

Umabot ng tatlong oras ang meeting namin. Nilapitan ako ni May, ang aking assistant, para ipaalam ako na pinapapunta ako sa opisina ng CEO. Tinanguan ko lang siya.

Naglakad ako papunta sa elevator. Nang makapunta sa tamang floor ay diretso pa rin ang lakad ko, ngayon ay papunta na sa opisina. Nakita ko ang tinginan ng mga tao. Nginitian nila ako. Sanay na sila sa madalas kong pagpunta dito.

It has only been about two years and a half when I was promoted as a COO which surprised everyone because I was initially only offered the position for structural engineer and humbly worked as that only for two years. Also, I have no connections to any wealthy family involved in this business. However, I found it hard to reject the promotion since the owner has been nothing but a good and wise mentor in my career.

Tinanguan ko ang assistant niyang si Anne nang sabihan niya akong pwede na akong pumasok kaagad. Her familiar black and gold interior greeted me. She was signing some papers. I cleared my throat.

"Pinatawag niyo daw po ako, Madam?"

She raised her head only to look back down to finish signing. When she was done, she took off her glasses and leaned back on her seat.

"No matter my passion for this business, signing documents will always tire me out," she grumbled. Ngumiti lang ako sa kanya.

At age 67, Maria de Gracia is a force to reckon with in the field of construction. She made a name for herself in the field dominated by men. Nasa ikalawang taon ako ng kolehiyo nang makilala ko siya. Pumunta siya sa Cebu para sa isang conference. The emcee's introduction for her was prodigious and astounding. It left me speechless, becoming hopeful for my future.

"Being the perceptive person that you are, I am certain you didn't think success would come without a price, Madam," I stated.

Tumango lamang ito. "Indeed. But that doesn't mean I can't complain," she smirked.

Inayos niya ang kanyang pag-upo at iminuwestra sa aking umupo sa harap ng kanyang lamesa. Sinunod ko ito.

"May party para kay Mama ngayong gabi sa bahay," panimula niya, stressing on the second syllable with the word Mama which I always thought sounded so elegant. "You're invited. Guests will only be our family."

My mouth slightly dropped, not hiding the surprise. I have met her family only during company parties. She raised her brow. I cleared my throat. "Hindi po ako sigurado kung okay lang na pumunta ako. Birthday parties of your parents have always been a celebration for your families, Madam, which I am not part of."

She narrowed her eyes. Her gaze meant to make me as uncomfortable as possible because I know she is examining me.

"If you're worried about it fueling the rumors, don't. Alam kong matalino ka, Engineer. Alam mo kung bakit kita ginawang COO," she explicated. "O baka hindi mo gustong paniwalaan dahil hindi ko naman kinompirma?"

Hindi ako nagsalita hindi dahil wala akong masabi kundi dahil alam kong hindi pa siya tapos.

"I never confirmed anything because I wanted to see your performance progress into the years. You were still fresh into the field and it was too early to conclude your loyalty to the company," she continued. "When I promoted you into a position you weren't interested in nor were you supposedly a candidate for, people were too loud so I let your work prove itself worthy for the position. The board who were once not so accepting with my decision, now has been left satisfied by your accomplishments."

Hindi ulit ako nagsalita at dahil na ito sa wala akong masabi.

"Don't get me wrong, you still are fresh in this field, but you shouldn't underestimate your capabilities, Engineer," she smiled. "Make sure to wear something with red. Dinner's at 7."

I just gave her a small smile, unsure of what to say or feel.

And so, at 7 pm, I entered their opulent estate wearing a maroon puff sleeved top and white pants with white strap heels. I was greeted by their maids as I walked inside. Una kong nakita ang anak na babae ni Madam Maria na kausap ang kanyang mga pinsan. Ngumiti ito nang malaki sa akin at niyakap ako.

"Dionne! It's so nice to see you!" Niyakap ko siya pabalik. Nilingon ko ang kanyang mga pinsan at tinanguan ang mga ito. Sumimangot ako nang napansing may kulang. Kumaliwas kami ni Alice sa isa't isa. "I was just asking Mommy if she invited you. Buti nalang talaga at pumunta ka! I was going to ask you something kasi e."

I chuckled at her bubbly welcome. "I don't think your Mom will let me reject the invitation, Alice."

She nodded in agreement. She was going to ask me something when I told her I'd greet her lola first and say hi to everyone before we continue our conversation. Pumunta ako sa likod kung saan nakahanda ang mga pagkain. Dumiretso ako kay Madam Estrella, ina ni Madam Maria, na siyang nagdiriwang ng kanyang kaarawan ngayon.

Napapalibutan ito ng kanyang mga anak at pamangkin. Kumukuha sila ng litrato. I waited from a distance for them to finish. Just before they finished, Madam Estrella noticed me and gestured me to come closer. Madam Maria glanced at who she was looking at and nodded at me before proceeding to have a conversation with her siblings and cousins.

"Happy Birthday, Madam Estrella," bati ko sa kanya habang bumebeso.

She smiled. "Thank you, Engineer! Buti naman at tinanggap mo ang imbitasyon ko."

My cheeks heated up because I didn't know she was the one who invited me. I glanced at Madam Maria who smirked while taking a sip from her glass of wine, clearly listening in our conversation instead of their own.

"It's an honor to be invited in your birthday po, Madam Estrella," was my only response. I wasn't lying, though. It really is an honor.

She waved my statement off. "I've always wanted to invite you since I heard about your negotiation with the Tans! Goodness, what a feat that one was, hija! Even Maria here wasn't able to pull it off three years ago," she gushed. "Yet you managed to seal the deal two months after your promotion."

Madam Maria frowned at the corner of my eye. As someone who thrives on achievements, that one was definitely a huge disappointment for her, I heard. It was a huge surprise when she passed that responsibility to me. As a newly promoted and devoted employee, I accepted the burden and worked tirelessly for the negotiation.

I smiled gratefully. "Thank you, Madam. It was mostly because I was mentored by your daughter that I was able to pull it off," I replied, trying to transfer the attention on me. We both glanced at the latter who was right beside her, pretending to focus on their conversation but was nodding in pride.

Madam Estrella glanced back at me, still smiling widely. "Well, I hope you enjoy the party, dear. I heard Alice was looking for you so don't let me keep you."

I said hi to Madam Maria, her siblings, and her cousins out of courtesy. Pagkatapos ay nagpaalam ako at bumalik sa loob. Nilapitan ko si Alice na ngayon ay nakaupo sa sofa.

"Alice," tawag ko sa kanya. She looked up excitedly and gestured for me to sit beside her. I did just that and nodded my head as a greeting towards her brother, Axel, who was sitting at the other side.

Alice and I continued our conversation from earlier. Turns out, she wanted to ask something about Cebu because she was planning to stay there for a few months.

Si Alice de Gracia Perez ikalawang anak ni Maria de Gracia, born two years after her brother, Axel de Gracia Perez. Strayed from the family business, she pursued fashion, studied in NYC and launched a clothing brand when she got back. When her mother was asked on why she doesn't want to convince her children to take over her company, she just replied with, "Careers must not be forced. They must be driven by passion."

Nakilala ko si Alice sa isang party ng kompanya. Isang taon pa lamang ako noon sa kompanya habang siya ay kakasimula pa lamang sa kolehiyo. I was already familiar with her brother, having noticed him whenever he visits the company but it was the first time that I saw his sister in one of the parties. She approached me suddenly and introduced herself and I did the same. We talked about a lot of things and got along well.

"Kawawa ang assistant mo, Alice," komento ng kanyang Kuya Axel. Alice frowned. "It's not wise for a business owner to leave her business."

Alice rolled her eyes. "I am going to bring some of my work, Kuya. I also have to meet people there who can potentially model my clothes so it's both for vacation and work. Don't worry too much. I know how to handle my business."

I pressed my lips together to prevent my laughter. Nakita ito ni Axel at sumimangot. Bago pa ito makakomento ulit ay hinila ako patayo ni Alice para kumuha na ng pagkain.

Like what I predicted, it was only their whole family who was here. Pagkatapos kumain ay napunta ako sa tabi ni Madam Maria at ng kanyang mga kapatid. They were talking about a controversial and newly built resort in Batangas and was asking me about the details since I was familiar with the engineer who led the construction.

"I hope Alastair fixes this soon," saad ni Martin de Gracia, nakababatang kapatid ni Madam Maria. "This will surely taint their name if this continues any longer."

Tahimik lang akong tumango sa kanilang mga komento. Natigil lamang ang usapan nang dumating ang nag-iisang anak ni Sir Martin.

"Dad," tawag nito sa kanya. Lumingon kaming lahat sa kanya. Tinanguan lamang siya ng kanyang ama. Wearing a white polo shirt that has a gold symbol on its left and maroon pants, bumeso siya kay Madam Maria na nasa tabi ko. Uminom ako sa aking baso, hoping to avoid his gesture. Tinaasan lang niya ako ng kilay. Dumiretso siya sa isa pang kapatid nila Sir Martin para bumeso.

"Why are you so late, Elias?" Mahinang tanong ni Ma'am Marga sa kanya.

Elias glanced at me then looked away before standing beside his father, now right across from me. "My class finished late and I was supposed to meet with someone, Tita. Medyo malayo po galing dito."

I gulped and took a sip from my glass, again. Ma'am Marga nodded. "Oh, of course. You're already in your third year in civil engineering, right?"

"Yes po, Tita."

Ma'am Marga nodded again. This time, it was Madam Maria who had something to say. "I'm still surprised you took up engineering, hijo. Lord knows your father wanted nothing to do with the field."

Sir Martin snorted. Elias just smiled. "It was initially a sudden interest, Tita, which eventually became something I'd want to pursue."

Elias de Gracia, almost 26, surprised his whole family two years ago when he confessed he has already finished his first year as a civil engineering student. Akala ng lahat ay wala na siyang planong pumasok sa kolehiyo. He entered the entertainment scene right after he graduated from senior high school, reasoning that he wanted to see where the art of film takes him.

Knowing they still wouldn't stop the conversation, I excused myself for the bathroom. I can see Elias narrowing his eyes in my direction but was then preoccupied with his Titas' questions. I walked pass Alice and her other cousins who were chatting enthusiastically. She asked where I was going and I mouthed 'bathroom' back.

The bathroom was quite a long walk from the back considering their huge estate. Nang nakarating doon ay pumasok ako kaagad. I was going to lock it already when it was stopped by a familiar hand. He pushed it open and went inside. He proceeded to lock the door before facing me. Tinaasan ko siya nang kilay. "Don't you think this is a bit scandalous, Mr. Elias de Gracia?"

"I think this is a lot tamer compared to what we have done last night, Engineer," he smiled devilishly before he leaned down and kissed me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

373M 9M 100
This work of fiction may include potentially disturbing readings, scenes and discussions around topics such as sexual, self-harm, physical violence...
1.7M 79K 53
[This is a GL story] Date started: March 24, 2017 Date completed: April 29, 2020 Additional chapters: Date Started: May 9, 2020 Date completed: July...
1.5M 34.9K 54
Rivalry, a basketball athlete and a culinary student had never seen herself attracted to any men. Despite her friends' persistent attempts to set her...
403K 21.2K 32
It all started when rookie setter Seb Angeles misset the ball causing injury to their team's opposite hitter, Nico Almojer.