Flamed Out (Roy Mustang X Oc)

By Bohannon_

An au Follows the 09 anime, with swears and heavy topics, but not too heavy. I try to be sensitive to the peo... More

Authors note
Chapter 1 (revised)
Chapter 2 (revised)
Chapter 3 (revised)
Chapter 4 (revised)
Chapter 5 (revised)
Chapter 6 (revised)
Chapter 7 (revised)
Chapter 8 (revised)
Chapter 9 (revised)
Chapter 10 (revised)
Chapter 11 (revised)
Chapter 12 (revised)
Chapter 13 (revised)
Chapter 14 (revised)
Chapter 15 (revised)
Chapter 16 (revised)
Chapter 17 (revised)
Chapter 18 (revised)
Chapter 19 (revised)
Chapter 20 (revised)
Chapter 22 (revised)
Chapter 23 (revised)
Chapter 24 (revised)
Chapter 25 (revised)
Chapter 26 (revised)
Chapter 27 (revised)
Chapter 28 (revised)
Chapter 29 (revised)
Chapter 30 (revised)
Chapter 31 (revised)
Chapter 32 (revised)
Chapter 33 (revised)
Chapter 34 (revised)
Chapter 35 (revised)
Chapter 36 (edited)
Chapter 37 (edited)
Chapter 38 (edited)
Chapter 39 (edited)
Chapter 40 (edited)
Chapter 41 (edited)
Chapter 42 (edited)
Chapter 43 (edited)
Chapter 44 (edited)
Chapter 45 (edited)
Chapter 46 (edited)
Chapter 47 (edited)
Chapter 48 (edited)
Chapter 49 (edited)
Chapter 50 (edited)
Chapter 51 (edited)
Chapter 52 (edited)
Chapter 53 (edited)
Chapter 54 (edited)
Chapter 55 (edited)
Chapter 56 (edited)
Chapter 57 (edited)
Chapter 58 (edited)
Chapter 59 (edited)
Chapter 60 (edited)
Chapter 61 (edited)
Chapter 62 (edited)
Chapter 63 (edited)
Chapter 64 (edited)
Chapter 65 (edited)
Chapter 66 (edited)
Chapter 67 (edited)
Chapter 68
Epiloge
Last author's note

Chapter 21 (revised)

385 7 0
By Bohannon_

(Roy's POV)

I sat in the Furher's office. He stood in front of a window, his back turned to me.

"Tell me, why are you bothering to let me live?" I stared at his back.

"Because you aren't going to learn your lesson if you're dead soldier."

I was unsettled with his answer. What he did mean by that?

I stared at the ground, I knew I'd gotten myself into shit, and to boot, I probably got everyone else on my squad and deep shit too. "And the military, how long has all this been going on?"

"Homunculi have been controlling this entire nation since it's inception."

"So all this time, you've been sitting back and laughing at our struggles?" I thought back to Hughes' funeral. "I saw you at General Hughes' funeral, your hands were trembling." I glared at his back. "So did you fake that as well?"

He paused. "Why must everyone make such a fuss over the death of a single soldier? The moment a soldier dawns his uniform, he accepts the reality that he might be buried in it."

A grunt escaped as he finished his sentence. I continued glaring into his back, feeling my anger with this situation rise.

"And about my hands, Hughes' child's screech throughout the entirety of his funeral." He glanced at me. "My hands were trembling with anger."

I was disgusted with the thing standing in front of me. "How could you even say such a thing? You have a child too."

He turned back to the window. "You're speaking of Selim? He's more well behaved than that."

My eyes narrowed. "And how do you think he'd react if he found out that his father is a Homunculus?" I wanted to dig into him, see what reaction I'd get if I poked at him.

He stood silently for a moment. "Was that a threat? You'll have to do better." His voice was devoid of emotion, that it was not only angering but also terrifying.

"Selim will never work as a point of weakness in my life." He finally turned to face me. "But you on the other hand, I know exactly who to use as your weak point."

My stomach dropped and even though I wouldn't show it, I was panicking inside. I could only imagine what that meant.

(Hunter's POV)

I walked into the office, completely shocked with myself, with my decision.

"Hey." Breda looked at me.

I looked up and both Breda and Falman were here.

My mouth was completely dry.

Falman stood up. "What's wrong? You look pale."

I took a shaky breath. "... I just resigned."

"What?!" Breda stood up. "You resigned?!"

"Why would you do that?" Falman stepped closer.

I sat at my desk, running my fingers through my hair. I tried my best not to get emotional with my impulsive decision. "They were going to transfer me back to Briggs... so I resigned."

"So you could stay here?"

I snapped. "I don't know, Breda!"

The room fell quiet.

I took a breath. "I'm sorry. I don't.. I don't.." I brought my hand up and rubbed my temple. "I don't.." I scoffed. I am so shocked with myself that I can't even get a proper sentence out.

I looked at the two of them. "I don't know what I was thinking, or why I said that but.." I paused. "I tried so hard to get transferred back when I got here, but now that I had my wish, I couldn't do it." It's like I didn't want to..

I shook my head. "I must've done something wrong.. but what could I have done?" I was puzzled. "Was it because I got involved in.. whatever this was?" I was talking about the Barry-Ross thing and the Gluttony thing.

"You're not the only one who got reassigned." Breda held up his form. "I was transferred to the Western command."

"And I'm going to the Northern command." Falman sat down. "Fuery's being transferred to the Southern command."

I closed my eyes, completely shocked at what was happening, and it was happening so quickly.

Then the door opened and my head shot up, I was hoping it was Roy. But it wasn't, it was someone else. "Major Hunter Devlin?"

I saluted him. "Yes sir."

"I'm Storch, the Furhers personal assistant." He handed me a form. "I was told to give this to you." And he left.

What now? I opened it and read, and started laughing. This is just perfect. "Ooooh." I stopped laughing. "I'm being expelled on a bad conduct discharge."

"What?!"

(Roy's POV)

"It's as simple as that. Your little girlfriend will go back to Briggs, and your Lieutenant will be under my watch from now on."

I stared at the ground, completely shocked at what just happened and it all happened so quickly, I barely had time to react. I couldn't react. What was the appropriate reaction to this?

There was this ringing in my ear and my hands trembled. Of course I got everyone into shit.. I dragged them along with me.

This is my fault for getting involved.

Breda to the West, Falman to the North, Fuery to the South, Hawkeye is his personal assistant, and Hunter's going back to Briggs.

I already lost Havoc, now I'm losing my entire squad.

And I finally had her. All this waiting, only to have her go back. And she's not even going back because she wants to, she's going because she's being forced to.

I don't know what would hurt more. Her leaving again because she wants to, or because she's forced to.

There's the possibility that I could stop her if she was going back on her own will, but she's going back because she has to.

And that's what hurts more.

Because I can't do anything to stop her.

"I have no memory of my parents faces or their names." He started speaking. "In fact, I don't even remember my own name."

"For all I know, I might've been abandoned or sold before I even had one." He paused.

"They called us perspective Furhers, and they trained us to be leaders. They kept us confined together and they taught us at all times of the day and night."

I just sat and listened, I had no idea why he was telling me this, or how we even got here to begin with. Why are you telling me this?

"We studied political science and humanities, as well as martial arts, firearms, and of course, swordsmanship."

"I was certain, that I would be the one chosen to lead this country. I firmly believed it, and I endured any training to make it so."

I scoffed under my breath. Well, you sound full of yourself.

He continued speaking after a long pause. "The philosopher stone is created from the life force of countless human beings, it can change their souls. Once injected into the blood stream, it begins to take over its new host and the human body tries to reject."

So, was that how he was created..?

"My body was repeatedly destroyed from the inside out and the rebuilt by the stone. The only options I had were to die or to overcome its power, I chose the latter."

I scoffed again. Don't make yourself sound like a martyr.

He kept his position in front of the window. "Countless souls have battled for dominance within me, and only the most wrathful one survived."

I glared into his back.

"I can't tell you if remaining soul was one of those within the philosophers stone, or if it's the one I've carried since I was born. I doubt that I'll ever know."

I don't care for the sob story you're telling me. I stood up. "You've lived your life before as a human being, why choose to be a Homunculus sir?" I was genuinely curious. "Isn't there some way you could go back to being a human? Or not."

He turned, the same scornful look on his face. "You suggest I become human again? He turned away. "Ridiculous. Why would I possibly want to pursue such frivolity? I've become something far superior."

I was done with this conversation. It was annoying, this whole thing was annoying. I just wanted to get back to my squad and survey the damage.

Plus, it was annoying how he looked down on us. He was superior because of the fact that he was injected with a philosopher stone? He was born human, other than that, we're one in the same.

He walked towards me. "Just as you humans take pride in your humanity, misguided though that may be, I too am proud. Because we also take pride in what we are. The woman you killed, she died with her pride intact, didn't she?"

(Hunter's POV)

I leaned against my chair, eyes on the ceiling. "What the hell am I gonna do?"

"Get a job?" Breda suggested.

"Well, it's not like I need a job. I could live off my trust fund, or I could.. ask my mom to build me a house on her land."

He scoffed. "Then why do you have a job?"

I shrugged. "To pass the time."

"Jeez, do you know how bratty you sound right now?"

I glanced at him. "What?"

He mimicked my voice. "My hobby is a job."

I laughed, that was actually funny. "That's not true, Breda!" He laughed with me.

Falman walked in and put a box next to my desk.

I looked at the box. "Explain?"

He sighed and sat at his desk. "I brought you a box."

I sat up properly. "I can see that, but why?"

He sighed. "I don't know! I was wondering and I saw it-"

I smiled. "Aw, are you upset with my leaving?" Instead of answering, he scowled.

"Okay jeez, I was kidding."

"No, no, I just don't understand why they're doing this."

Roy must've said something to piss them off. Or they know what we're doing.

Either way, it's clear that they're separating us.

"Because they're separating us." I looked at them. "In Briggs, we're taught to work as one. You work more efficiently as one, more effectively, more quickly. Like a well oiled machine. And the machine cannot work if one part is missing or if all the parts are missing. It simply can't function."

"So you're saying they're splitting us up so we can't work together." Falman put it more simply.

I nodded.

Breda sighed. "You and your Briggs mindset." He looked at me. "Shouldn't you be packing?"

"Nah, technically, none of these things are mine. But I'll be gone by the end of the day." I looked at my hands. "This is my last day on the squad and my house feels lonely, and the Colonel's probably going to be mad when he finds out."

I observed both of them. "It's not like you two are working anyways."

They glanced at each other. "We haven't gotten any orders yet so, we're waiting."

I looked back at my fidgety hands. "I lied when I said I got a job to pass the time. I joined the military so I could help people. Became a state Alchemist to serve people, became a medic to assist people." I took a breath. "I am genuinely lost now that that has been taken."

(Roy's POV)

I was brought to another room. This room had a table with three chairs, and there were teacups placed at two of the seating spots.

I rolled my eyes and sat. I just want to get out of here-

Bradley sat across from me. A few minutes of silence passed before the door opened. I glanced back, it was Ed and Al. How the hell did they get here?

"Colonel?" Ed walked up to the table, Al following him.

I grunted and turned back, not only was I annoyed with the situation, but I was also angry with how long this was taking.

"What's going on?"

"Where should I begin?" I looked at Bradley. "Fuery's been shipped South, Falman's been sent up North, Breda's been reassigned to the West, Lieutenant Hawkeye is now a personal assistant to the Furher, and Major Devlin's going back to Briggs." Say that last one out loud stung, saying all of that stung.

Edward gasped. Both he and Al just stood around.

"Go ahead and take a seat." Bradley spoke.

The guards left us alone with him, and he's only got his sword..

So, he's that confident he could take us all at once.

The room was silent, until there was a small cough that came from inside Alphonse's armour. Both of them flinched before Al started coughing, trying to cover who ever was inside his armour.

Ed slammed his arm on the table. "Furher, so what was that in the hospital that day? When you came to visit me. You really had us going, didn't you."

Bradley sat calming, his elbows rested on the table. "I don't recall lying." His voice was calm too. "I instructed you to suspect everyone, and not to meddle any further." He looked directly at him. "The only thing that you need to know is that you're important to us, and there's no need for you to dig any deeper. Accept the importance of your role and keep your heads down."

He closed his eyes again. "You do that, and no harm will come to you."

"Well, that's great for us. But what happens to all the people who aren't lucky enough to considered sacrifices?" Ed continued.

I kept my eyes on Bradley, waiting to hear whatever thing he was going to say.

"There's nothing you need to know that I haven't already told you. Is that clear Fullmetal Alchemist?"

Edward scoffed. "You chose that as my title huh?" The movement of him pulling his watch out caught my eye; he looked at it. "I only joined the military because I thought it might help us get our bodies back."

I noticed his watch had blood on it. What the hell happened in the woods? I looked back at Bradley.

"Now? Now I know what the state Alchemist program really is. You're using it as a way to recruit your sacrifices."

Yeah, that sounds accurate.

"Well, I'm not gonna let you use me to accomplish your sick goals." He hissed, throwing his catch in front of Bradley. "I resign my title as a state Alchemist."

I just watched this unfold.

Bradley stared at the watch. "Symbol of the dog, fittingly crusted in blood."

"Your plans are gonna fail." Edward just kept going. "I swear on my own grave that I'm gonna stop you. I'll warn the other state Alchemists, I'll tell them-"

"What was that lovely young girls name again?" Bradley tapped his temple. "Ah yes, it's Winry Rockbell."

Both Ed and Al gasped at the sound of her name.

"Your automail engineer, and you grew up with her in Resembool as well, if I'm not mistaken. She's practically a family member isn't she?"

I glanced at Ed, he looked nervous and angry. Of course, he'd bring important people into this.

"I've heard she's made quite a name for herself with her customers in Rushvalley. Such a sweet and trusting girl."

At that point, Ed had had enough and jolted up, slamming his hand on the table. "You stay away from her! Just leave her out of this!" He was trembling.

It's not a good idea to have an outburst right now idiot...

Bradley tapped Ed's watch before picking it up. "Well that's up to you." He pushed back to Ed. "If you'd rather not take it, then I will simply have to cut her down." He threatened.

Ed grunted, picking up his watch and putting it in his pocket.

Bradley smiled. "How thoughtful."

"Uh, Sir." Alphonse finally spoke. "You don't have to worry about us, but I have to ask. If we're going to continue to serve under your watch, will you please allow us to keep searching for a way to get our original bodies back, please sir." He sounded desperate.

Eyes on the prize, right?

Bradley sipped from his cup. "I don't see why not, as long as you don't interfere with our plans." And then he acknowledged me. "And what do you have in mind Colonel? You wouldn't do something so petty as to quit the military."

This interested me. "Good question." I brought my hand to my chin. "I'm on a short leash here, and I still find that preferable to giving up."

I paused, thinking very carefully about the situation. "And I still have my ambitions, your plans don't change that." I held my watch up. "So I'll hang onto this, and I'll retain my rank too." It's not like I can ask for anything more-

Bradley smiled, his usual fake smile. "That's fine with me. We have nothing more to discuss."

Finally.. I stood up, both Ed and Al stood up too. I turned to the door but stopped. "I would like to ask you one more question, sir." I basically spat the last part.

"Would you now? Go ahead."

My heart started racing. "Are you the one who murdered General Hughes?"

Bradley was silent for a moment. "No. That was not me."

I glanced back. "Then who did?"

"Colonel, I agreed to one question." He shot me down.

Tch.. "We'll be leaving now." I started for the door.

"Ah, just one moment Alphonse." Bradley spoke, I just kept heading for the door but stopped when I heard him draw his sword.

I turned and found that he had his sword through the leather patch on the side of Al's armour. I was surprised at how quickly it happened.

He pulled it out and inspected it.

"Ah, is that all?" Al spoke.

"That's all, you're now dismissed." He sheathed his sword.

I opened the door, letting the two out before I stepped out; I shut the door behind us.

I turned when the two started freaking out and shaking. "That was too close!"

I stared at them, confused as to what was happening.

"Oh, hey Colonel." Ed walked towards me, holding his hand out. "Help us out. Have you got any change?"

I dug into my pocket. "You want my money now?"

He snatched the change from my hand. "Just give it!" He used his usual whiney voice. "Jeez is that all ya got? Really?" He counted.

I growled. "It's apparently more than you've got!"

He turned away, dismissively. "Sure, whatever. See ya!" They both ran passed me.

"Hey."

"Sorry Colonel! We'll explain everything later!" Al waved at me.

I watched them run down the hall. "What the hells with them?"

Hunter. "Shit!" I ran in the opposite direction.

(Hunter's POV)

The door busted open, I glanced up and saw Roy and Riza standing in the middle of the room.

By that time, Fuery had joined us.

"What's wrong?" Falman looked at Roy.

Roy-

Let's just say he didn't look good, like at all.

He straightened himself out, rubbing his neck. "Ah yes."

That wasn't even an answer-

He went back to his desk, Riza following him. "Devlin, come up here."

Oh great.. I shared a look with Breda and Falman before standing up.

I stood at attention in front of his desk. "Yes, sir."

"You've been reassigned to Briggs?" He eyed me.

My heart was racing. I didn't know how to tell him I resigned and then was basically kicked out. Maybe I should've taken the chance to get back to Briggs- ugh! But.. I already adjusted to being here and that was the one thing I didn't want to do, get used to being here.

Why did I even resign in the first place? So that I could... so that I could stay here? I want to stay here?

"Well Devlin?" Roy's voice brought me out of my crisis.

I cleared my throat. "Ah.." I closed my eyes, I didn't know how to say this.

"Devlin." It sounded like he was getting worried.

I looked down, wanting to get out of this situation. He's going to get mad.. he's going to yell.. and... He's going to- I could feel myself panicking and my breath picked up.

"Devlin." Roy spoke softly.

My eyes snapped up at him.

"It's me. Just tell me."

I glanced at Riza, she nodded.

"I... resigned but then.... I was expelled on a bad conduct discharge, and my state Alchemist title has been revoked."

"You resigned?!" He raised his voice. "Why would you do that?!"

I flinched when it echoed.

"You gave up! You gave up on me! Why'd you do that? I thought you had my back!"

I looked back at him, he looked hurt and shocked.

"I-"

He scoffed. "... What the hell! Were you even thinking?! You could've waited until I came back!What were you thinking Major?"

I knew this would happen...

My jaw clenched and I felt shaken up. "It's not General, or Major, or Inferno anymore, it's not even 'The Reaper' or 'The Blue Flame.' It's just Hunter now."

I took a shaky breath. "You were gone for half the day! Was I supposed to wait half a fucking day? I was too caught in my shock to think, and it just happened."

He nodded. "So that's it huh? It just happened?"

"Yeah! It just happened!" I raised my voice.

"And watch what you say to me!"

I scoffed. "You're no longer my superior, I'm not even a soldier anymore, so I may speak to you as I wish, and you're being an ass!"

"Get the hell out!" He pointed to the door.

"GLADLY!" I turned and briefly made eye contact with Breda and Falman, before leaving and slamming the door.

I stood with my back to the door, feeling my heart race and my hands shake; I took a shaky breath.

Okay, okay. You're okay..

You're okay.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————Bohannon

I don't own Fullmetal Alchemist or any of its characters

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.1K 403 31
The world where I am born is cruel. My country, this so small country, Amestris, is leaded by war, in hope peace would come one day. My first friends...
991 29 13
This is the first time I've written a story like this, however I feel that I should explain some plot points since I did try to stick as close to the...
35K 1.2K 25
~Rewrite and edit of this story is called Misery Looms.~ Mysterious murders had plagued Central for a couple of weeks and the military doesn't know w...