Finding love in the silence

By AustinFoster286

Buck is trying to move on after been abandoned by his ex, Eddie is learning to deal with his disability, unti... More

Chapter 1 - Flames to the heart
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8

Chapter 5

598 20 6
By AustinFoster286

CHAPTER 5

"Buck, I will help all I can, you know that," Carla states as she takes a seat.

"Good. You see, the other day I spoke to this person I saved, well, they got hurt..." he stops seeing the way Carla is looking at him so he lets a huff out. "I know what you're thinking, it's nothing like that, he got hurt and then I cut my hand saving him so Bobby made me go to the hospital, and when I was there in the waiting room the guy's son saw me and invited me up to see his colouring books. And I found some stuff. I think he/they need a lot of help, but the system is full of red tapes, you know that better than anyone. And really, you're the only one I can ask to help me on this. So can you?"

" I can certainly see what I can do. Pass along my contact information, or introduce me to your new friend, so they can tell me what exactly they need." She asks and Buck knew this was her way of trying to get back on his good side.

"I can introduce you tomorrow, I'm off, I'll be moving out of here soon too. I get why you did what you did but it still hurts. I trusted you and you knew."

"I get it I hurt you and lost your trust, but I was put in a position I didn't want to be in. I knew Alex well before I knew you, So I felt like my loyalties should lie with him, but I did tell him to talk to you before he did anything. He didn't listen,I'm sorry."

Listening to her Buck can understand the position Carla has been in but it still hurts.

"Look Carla, I get it you knew Alex well before I came on to the scene but I just thought after all our talks while Alex was on shift you would have said something instead of listening to me go on what I had planned for our travels," Buck states moving to sit near Carla. He couldn't stay mad at her no matter how hard he tried.

" Yes, you're right. I should have said something when I realized that Alex wasn't going to say anything to you, and you were still talking about your travel plans. I am truly sorry, and I do want to make it up to you, any way I can. Have you heard from Alex?" the question stung but he knew Carla had spent so many nights talking and would understand better than most at the station.

"No not for a while it seems he is ghosting me now but also I saw a post on social media that looked like a romantic setup. Guess he has someone new to love now." Buck shrugged but the look on Carla's face looked angry.

"You're joking,he posted that?" Carla states and buck watches as she pulls out her phone and scrolls "that fool, i'm sorry buck i didn't know as soon as he went he cut all contact i haven't heard off him, we fell out as he was packing the last of his things because i was questioning why he hasn't told you, he left and i was gonna tell you but then you had already taken him to the airport and you messaged saying you couldn't believe that i kept it from you and not to contact you so i respected that." Carla states and tears can be seen, Buck felt sort of bad but this was a conversation that needed to happen.

"I'm sorry Carla,I didn't know I should have spoken to you and got your side, I'm sorry too, I was just pissed everyone was using me as a doormat. How about a clean slate, I mean I could do with some sp myself, I have some places to view and need your honest opinion. I can't have my sister go with me, it's all too raw with her."

"Sister??"

Buck looks and realises Carla didn't know about Maddie being back, he makes his way round the kitchen and makes a coffee for them both and explains everything that's happened with him and his sister along with the fact she is with the 118.

"Sounds like you both have some things to deal with, but at least you have your sister back in your life, surely that's a better situation for you?." Buck understood the question and if he was honest all he saw at the start was his sister moving in to take his place but now speaking it through with Carla he can see having Maddie round would be great for him once they sorted their shit out.

"Yeah, you're right." He says with a yawn, the long day mixed with the fact his pain killers were making him sleepy.

"I'll head off, just let me know what time tomorrow and i will come get you and then we can head to the viewings then the hospital, ok?." Carla states

"That would be great, first viewing is at 10 and is on the other side of town, so I'd say being here for 9ish gives us time to get there."

"That's fine, I'll see you tomorrow, get some sleep."

There is an awkward tension as they get to the front door but soon disappears when Buck hugs her and says bye. Locking the door he heads back into the flat he should really start boxing things but just doesn't feel it all he wants to do is sleep, he sits on the couch and looks at his phone noticing a message from Eddie.

'Hey thanks for the reply. Chris is ok thank you for asking, no news when i'm going to be freed hopefully it be soon, had my parents round earlier went as well as expected. Hope your evening has gone ok?'

Buck lets a sleepy smile slip he knew in one aspect it would be frowned upon him texting a victim he saved but in the same way Eddie had texted him first, and he never actually gave him his number it was given to Abuela for her to message not Eddie.

'My evening was eventful, but i'll be along tomorrow with someone who might be able to help you. I have just got to go to some house viewings to see what I can find that is affordable. I'm heading off to bed as I need some sleep. Say hi to Chris for me. '

He hits send and moves to the bedroom and gets ready for bed settling down knowing tomorrow was going to be a long day.

************** Eddie 8ish *************

"Eddie I cant believe youre doing this to me, why now? Why not when I was home?" Shannon snarls as they make their way through the building.

"Because you won't speak to me when you're at home, trust me I didn't want to do this here but you left me no choice." Eddie replies back as they enter a small back room.

"I just can't believe it, there's no way you ar..." the sound of explosion is the last Eddie hears.

"SHANNON" Eddie wakes screaming

He looks round the room and sees Abuela looking at him moving over, he knows she is mouthing it was just a dream but he knows yes it was a dream well nightmare but it happened. He feels a small arm wrap round him and he looks down to see Chris hugging him, he hugs him back.

"Sorry if I scared you, I just had a bad dream." Eddie mutters out, wiping the tears away.

He sees a tablet being waved to him, Abuela obviously had typed something as Eddie held Chris so he shifts so he can read it whilst still having Chris close.

'Its fine, we understand, by the way your parents are outside. I've told them to wait outside till you're ready for them to be here, they explained earlier what you said and I'm proud of you' Eddie smiles at the message it meant so much that Abuela was proud of him.

"Thank you, that means a lot, but they can stay out there a bit longer." Eddie says earning a pat from her.

They spend the next 20 minutes typing away letting Eddie know what Chris has been doing when they left earlier, Eddie regretting that he wasn't able to go out just yet.

In Between this Eddie sees the reply off Buck and he cant help but let a smile slip, it was nice he got the reply but also having someone none family related would be a great relief, he types a reply and places his phone down but to his annoyance his parents appear at the door of his room.

"You can come in, only if you don't start." Eddie states and he knows his tone must have sounded harsh as he could see his mother flinch.

His father starts talking and Eddie laughs as abuela hits his arm with the tablet obviously telling him off for been a fool, he can see his father typing with a anger the way he is pressing on the screen, which meant Eddie was about to read an angry message, he sighs as the tablet is handed over.

'Edmundo me and your mother have spoken and we know how you want to stay and provide for Chris but clearly you are unable to, therefore we think its in everybody's best interest that we take him with us till your set up you can be mad at us but deep down you know we ate right.'

Eddie sits there, the anger bubbling up, how could they think he would agree to this, yes maybe he's struggling right now but not permanently he looks at his father and just sees red.

"GET OUT!!!!." He shouts far louder than he needed to but it obviously drove the message home as his parents took their leave rather quickly.

The first thing he notices the shocked look on Chris's face which breaks Eddies heart the last thing he wanted to do was shout in front of him, but it soon disappears as Chris leans down and hugs his father, Eddie would give anything to be able to hear right now to see if his son was crying.

He looks over to Abulea who passes her phone over which had a message on it, Eddie notices it was the app BUck had used before, this took him by surprise and smiled at Abuela.

"Since when did you become so good with technology?" Eddie jokes as he reads the message

'That was a bit harsh, but I understand why you told them to leave. I just hope you are ready for what it means.' he feels a gentle slap against his arm and sees Abuela shaking her head but with a smile.

"Thanks, and Chris." Eddie states and waits for his son to look up at him "you ain't going anywhere i promise you that. We will sort something out, I promise but it will be me and you." Eddie says as he places a kiss to Chris's head.

They spend an hour talking and Eddie can see Chris is fading so signals to Abuela to take him back to hers, he couldn't face having Chris spend another night here. He watches as abuela talks to her phone and hands it to him.

'I will take him back and we will come see you tomorrow where hopefully the doctor will let you out, but you need to think where you are staying as going back to the apartment you rent will be hard.'

He passes the phone back to her.

" To be honest I think I will arrange to go stay with Sophia in Texas only because I need to sort out the life insurance as well as compensation from the workplace." Eddie hated the fact the families had sued the local family run store for the accident but he needed the money as did the others.

Abuela passes him her phone as she picks Chris off the bed and starts moving his toys into a bag.

'That makes sense, and I don't feel guilty about the compensation it needs. If you need me to come i will and i'll stay at your parents to keep them at bay while you sort things'

"It's fine, it will be for a few days, just need to sort travel and that, i'll see you both tomorrow." Eddie says

There's a few more hugs and he watches as they leave, once the door closes Eddie feels lost, he was alone again and nothing to do, he could watch Tv but it lost all meaning once he lost his hearing, he picks his phone up and starts looking at plane tickets to Texas and messaging his sister in between who was more than willing have him and Chris stay over. After realising that he wouldn't be able to afford the tickets as it meant dipping into the rent fund he was going to mention to his sister but he didn't want to borrow money off her it wasn't right he would figure it all out.

After no joy he starts looking at houses and couldn't believe the cost of some of them, even a small house was more than his vet cheque gave him and his savings were running extremely low, he realises maybe his parents were right and that he should have stayed until he had the money. He goes to place his phone down when he sees a message from Buck and it fills his heart with joy which through Eddie he didn't even really know the guy, but he was the first to be so kind to them and now he was bringing someone who could help him.

'What did I do to deserve someone so kind to walk into my life, after all the bad I've caused.' he thinks to himself before sending a quick message to BUck saying goodnight and see him tomorrow.

Eddie settles down and nods off not knowing if he would get any sleep from nightmares and the worry of what to do for the best for Chris.

The morning comes all too quick and Eddie doesnt know what to do. It's just after 11am and Chris hasn't turned up which makes his worries go into overdrive as what if something happened. He had been exchanging texts with Buck all morning from about 9ish when Eddie decided he needed some adult conversation so asked Buck about what he was up to and finding out that he too was finding it hard to find somewhere cheap to live, which made Eddie feel not so bad if a firefighter couldn't afford a place what chances do other people have.

The texts turned to silly memes about the randomest stuff with regards to the houses he was looking at the latest was a meme of a stinky house and Eddie laughed and was lost in the fun till Buck went silent over a hour ago so now Eddie was sat waiting round, even the nurse was less frequent it was like everyone just decided he was less important. He looked at the clock an it just turned 11:34am and he was bored, he looked at his phone and saw the last message to Buck had not been read so guessed he was busy with the house viewing, so he opened his book app and started reading though he couldn't focus on the actual reading part.

**************Buck 9am ******************

Buck was sat waiting for Carla he had been awake a while and was fighting the urge to message Eddie he was trying to keep it professional but there was this itch like Eddie and Chris were made for him, he couldn't really put a finger on it maybe it was his mind playing up from all the soulmate stories he read and the research on said soulmates he did as a teenager and then picked it up again after the whole Alex disaster.

When his phone vibrated he expected it to be Carla but smiled when he saw Edies name.

'Help, i need some adult conversation, i'm bored out my mind and i know when Chris arrives it will be all pokemon this and Power Ranger that, i can't be dealing with it just yet :('

Buck had to hold back his laugh, this was not the kind of message he expected but thought best to roll with it.

'Excuse me and what's wrong with Pokemon I'll have you know Growlithe is my favorite Pokemon and as for Power rangers you're telling me you never wished you were the red ranger?'

Buck hits send and hears a knock at the door, heading over he opens it and is greeted by Carlas infectious smile.

"And what has a spring in your step?." Carla questions.

"Nothing, just excited to see the potential new places." Buck says as he walks round picking his wallet and jacket up.

"Hmmm, nothing to do with the visit to the hospital later then?." Carla asks and BUck can see the look she's giving him.

"No, let us go." Buck says quickly as he ushes her out

"Hmm, I want to go and change the subject ok."

They get in the car and Buck sees he has a reply, he quickly explains where the first place is and looks at the message.

'Oh great so the only adult who is willing to talk to me besides my Abulea likes kids programs too, it's a good thing i like Dratini, but yes i admit i wanted to be the red ranger who didn't, but i will admit i prefer the red mystic power ranger mainly because Chris loves magic so was a great mix. What are you up to?'

Buck laughs loud and sees Carla look over.

"It's nothing just Eddie." He says

"Hmm and you say it's nothing, I haven't seen that grin... well in a long time."

"I know." Buck mutters and turns back to the phone.

'So the real question is did you dress up as the red ranger for Chris' birthday party? I'm just off to look at new places to live, long story short ex left me so I need to find a new place, fingers crossed for me.' Buck finishes the message but attaches a picture of the red mystic ranger with a caption 'the real reason you like that ranger was for the cape admit it :P'

The rest of the drive goes by quickly Eddie was replying to Buck just as quick as Buck was sending them back, they had fallen in to chat about the different houses they had both seen on the estate agents websites and how expensive they were, Buck explained he was looking at smaller places further out of the city in the hope they be cheaper but was worried about the neighbourhoods. Eddie replied with a gaster meme but with squirrels as the gangsters.

Buck couldn't believe how easy they had fallen into simple chat and their humor seemed to line up as well which made texting better. As they arrived at the first house Buck decided to annoy Eddie by sending the full lyrics to the pokemon theme song and ending it with talk in a bit as first place.

He heard his phone off the second they stepped out the car, but he left it and greeted the estate agent, he looked round the houses close by they all looked nice and well maintained there was another one for sale which looked slightly smaller, it was a good 40 mins away from work but on the wrong side if there was an accident on the highway he would be screwed. But walking around he fell in love with the house. It had 3 bedrooms and an office, open plan kitchen with lounge, and a fairly big back garden. He looked at Carla who gave him a quizzed look, there was something off.

"So what's the catch?."

"What do you mean Mr Buckley?." The estate agent asks

"I mean, it's a lovely home, big and pretty much perfect so why is it so cheap? There must be a reason especially when there's a smaller one just across the road? Also I was looking for rental places as there's no way I can afford to buy a place." Buck questions.

"Yes i understand you wanted to rent, but i wanted to show you this place, yes it's cheap but the reason is the owners want it gone quick so have slashed the price so it won't be available for long, and some of the places you wanted to look at actually work out more per month than this would. So hence why I wanted to show you this first."

Buck couldn't believe what he just heard but still even if it worked out cheaper he didn't have the savings to put down as a deposit, one of the downsides to traveling around when he left home.

"Thank you, but maybe we can look at other places." Buck explains

"Sure, i'll meet you at the next one, here's the zipcode see you there shortly."

The estate agent walks them out and Buck climbs into the car looking back at the house, it was perfect just the kind of place he wanted to start a family in.

"What ya thinking about hun?" Carla asks

"Just how this is the perfect house and that there is no way I can do it." Buck states

"You heard the estate agent's monthly repayments would be cheaper than some of the rentals you're looking at."

"But I will need a deposit and you know my past, I never stayed long enough in one place to save up for the future." Buck says

"Let's head to the next place then." Carla

Buck takes his phone out and sees a few messages from Eddie but one from Maddie also asking how the flat hunting was going he simply replied he found the perfect house but there was no way he could afford it and that they were off to the next place, he adds how was work to the text before looking at Eddie's texts.

'I can't believe you sent that haha i will be humming it alday now, also who doesn't like capes makes you feel like a superhero. So how's the house hunt?.'

'To be honest it's shit, the house the agent took me to is way too expensive so going to look at the next few, at this rate looks like I'll be either house sharing or living in a cardboard box, how's hospital life?.'

He opens up his emails and has a few off his tutor which he had forgot about, she was asking when he would like to start, he emailed back if he could push it back as his hand was going take longer to heal but he would practice with his other hand to try get sort of a hang of it. The rest of the drive Buck was looking at the sign language pdf his tutor had sent him and trying to learn his good hand to do it.

"Ugh why's it so hard." Buck mutters after failing.

"Well it's like learning to write, it's hard till you practice, so this interest in learning wouldn't happen to a certain deaf man." Carla questions

"No, I realised when I was saving him that knowing this would be handy, plus he doesn't know asl he's learning apparently." Buck explains and can see the side eye Carla gives him.

They fall into silence as they pull up to the next place, viewing the apartment it seemed nice but it was way to far out from work but the price was in his budget, they left and headed to the next few none seem to fit the bill, Throughout he was texting Eddie letting him know just how bad the rental places were his last one was a nice place but there was a stench no one could figure out where it was going from so they left and Buck sent a stink meme to Eddie. He thanked the estate agent and she said to let her know about any he's seen they will be marked for the next few days so he gets first pick. They go back to Carlas car and head off.

On the way to the hospital he was about to message Eddie to see what cakes he likes but before he can ask his phone starts ringing and it's Maddie he sighs but realises it could be work as she was working, someone could be hurt.

"Is everyone alright?" He asks and can see Carla look round as they pull into the car park of the mall.

"Yes." She replies

"So what's up?" He says a bit standoffish he wasn't ready for general chit chat with her just yet they were just still rocky.

"It's just about what you said about not being able to afford that house you liked." She explains and Buck was waiting for the rubbing in, just like he knew parents would for not saving up back when he was younger.

"Don't rub it in, I regret not savi..." He starts

"No, i have something for you, can i pop round later trust me." Buck tried not to laugh at that after everything.

"Just tell me Maddie." Buck states in a serious tone

"Fine, well after your whole coming out and embarrassing mum and dad they contacted me stating they were done with you." She starts

"Yes I know, they made it clear that I was no longer their child when I left."

"Well, they had saved up for our college and university tuition plus a lump sum to help with a house but then after you did that they used it." Maddie states and all it did was enrage Buck that his parents were so evil they would do that to him.

"Great, thanks for that lovely news makes me feel a whole lot better, kick me while I'm down." Buck states

"Oh stop being a drama queen and let me finish will you." Maddie snarks

"Fine."

"Well, they used it by giving it to me stating to use it for me and Doug." She says

"Right, good so you made your life bett.."

"Buck be quiet, I never told Doug, I put the money in a high interest account where it has sat for the better part of 10 years building up. I was waiting till we could have a better conversation where you weren't such a moody idiot but I get why you are." She goes quiet and Buck is taken back after everything she had saved him the money his parents so obviously didn't want him to have.

"You mean you still have my money, why not use it for you?." Buck was curious.

"Evan, it was your money, i knew full well mum and dad only gave it me so it would drive a wedge between us even more than the one that was there, so i lied told them me and doug invested the money, but really i left it to build, i think last i looked there was just over 200k in it so hopefully enough for that house or at least pay a big chunk off, so go for it and i'll organise the money." he goes to say something but the sound of the alarm and a quick bye and she was gone.

He felt guilty for having a go at her but at the same time he was filled with joy so much so he quickly messages the estate agent to say he will take the first house he just needed to sort the money transfer and stuff.

"Lets get cakes" He proclaims as he gets out.

They hit the krispy kreme shop and leave with loads of treats and head to the hospital Buck couldn't stop smiling, as they made there way through the hospital he spots Chris and Abuela and Chris hugs Buck and asks to be lifted up which through Buck completely as he was still a stranger but Abuela explained he trust you and ou saved his dad.

They make their way to Eddie's room.

****************************** EDDIE 12ish***********************

His attention is caught when he sees the door open and Buck walk in holding Chris in his arms which through Eddie off guard as Chris wasn't that clingy to people, even Abuela struggled to get him to let her carry him, but it was the most sweetest sight, he noticed Abuela and another lady walk in to.

"Hey." Eddie says and watches as Buck places Chris down next to Eddie and Chris holds a bag and the smell hits him of baked goods.

There's a phone in front of him and looks up to see Buck holding it up to him to take and read.

'Sorry I didn't say I was on my way, I got caught up with my sister, this is Carla she works in care and maybe able to help you out, sorry if I crossed the line.'

Eddie was shocked, when he read that he was bringing someone with him he half expected this Athena woman to make sure Buck was following not someone who could possibly help him

"Buck you haven't crossed the line, it's great you know someone who can help, trust me i need it." Eddie says, passing the phone back. He watches as Buck hands it to Carla and Buck picks Chris up and they sit in the corner, Chris looking in the bag and smiling.

"Hi Carla, thanks for coming. I'm not sure what Buck has said or not said to you but any help would be great." Eddie says he knew it was totally hypocritical of him asking for help when his parents were just here offering it but this was someone with proper knowledge. Well he hoped she was. He watches as she speaks, trying to pick up words but struggles and eventually the phone is handed to him.

As he looked at Carla he could see BUck and Chris talking, Chris was smiling at whatever was being said and noticed how animated BUck was, Eddie smiled as he looked at the phone.

'He didn't say much, just that you may need some help, i've picked up from seeing you and your son you need help with care for Chris and yourself, im red tapes worse nightmare so we can get the right forms filled in for you and sent off and try get you moving forward, does that sound good.'

Looking back up he sees her big smile, he can see Abuela nodding which he knew meant to take the offer and who was he to say no. He goes to speak and notices Chris laughing and Bucks face extremely red and the contents of a donut all over his shirt. A hand waves in front of and he sees CArla waiting for him to reply.

"Please, i need the help, so if we can get the paperwork started that be great as im going back to Texas for a few days as i need speak to the solicitor" He notices both Chris and Buck look at him and notices Chris pout "Mijo i have to go back, don't worry we will stay with aunt Sophia i just need sort out airfare and then we can be back here to find a new home." Eddie explains and Chris turns and if that didn't hurt Eddie but he notices Buck talking to him and a smile appears and Chris turns and nods in reluctant acceptance. Eddie gives Buck a nod.

He see's Carla talk to the phone but looks at Buck and Chris and they nod and then Buck walks over to him taking the phone off the bed and speaks in to it, Eddie couldn't help but stare at the big blue eyes noticing the curls if Bucks messed up hair and the dribble of jam on his chin he obviously hadn't noticed yet, hes brought back to earth when the phone is placed in front of him, he quickly grabs it hoping he wasn't caught staring.

'Me and Chris are going go walk round so you and Carla can have a proper chat about everything, as im guessing you dont want Chris hearing, we will be back in a bit ill have my phone, Carla is downloading the app to use, use her she's one of the greatest care people out there.'

"Thanks Buck, it means alot, Mijo will be good for Buck. oh Buck you need to clean your face you have jam on your chin, can't have you walking around looking more like a child than the actual child." Eddie says and he can't help but laugh when Buck makes a shocked expression and Carla is laughing how much Eddie wished he could hear the laughs. He feels a pat on the shoulder and watches as Buck and Chris leave.

He sees Abuela and Carla speak and the Abuela walks over making a drink sign and Eddie nods and she leaves once she is gone he sees Carla speaking to her phone and then hands it over.

'So, how about we start with the assistance you need for you and Chris and then you can explain the heart eyes you were giving to Buck?'

"Fuck" Eddie states which he sees Carla laugh, this was going be a tough conversation to have but a much needed one to help himself and Chris. But at the same time deep down he knew Buck or in fact no one would be interested in him, he was deaf and had a disabled son who would want that in their lives. He shrugged his thinking away ready to talk about what care he needed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

177K 4.1K 66
Buck's feeling is starting to grow day by day because of a certain firefighter. He is afraid that if he tells him the truth then he might reject him...
42.5K 623 20
Buck opens his door to find a baby on his doorstep and has no idea what to do with it. Eddie is roped in to help and the two men help Buck get used t...
86.3K 2.5K 22
Gideon Robinson, forced to retire from the U.S. Army because of an accident in his last mission, tries to earn his life as a bartender in Los Angeles...
268K 7.7K 43
Sequel to Begin Again [Book 2] Everyone deserves a second chance to clean up their mistakes, don't they?