To the Stars, Now and Forever

By alycalypsa

After being thrown into an arranged marriage she wasnʼt aware about, Calista Halvorsen must now face the real... More

PREFACE | To the Stars, Now and Forever
CHARACTER AESTHETICS
001
002
003
004.
005.

006.

7 1 0
By alycalypsa

──────────

"TODAY, WE ARE GATHERED HERE to commemorate the late king. His Royal Majesty Rupert Dubrovka lived an amazing life with his wonderful family. He has served the kingdom for fifty years with all his might. Let us know more about His Majesty. His firstborn daughter, Her Highness Princess Ariah will give a short biography." the officiant spoke in front of a crowd of a thousand, gathered around at St. David's Chapel, Noelle Castle.

The royal family of the deceased sat in the very first row, all in their black clothing. The Dowager Queen stood in between Arwin and the youngest royal, Anica. Lilith's face was covered in a black veil, she would sniffle a tear occasionally. Besides the prince was Calista, and his sister Ariah.

"A pleasant day to all of you. For anybody who doesn't know me, I am his firstborn daughter and the fraternal twin of Prince Arwin," she started, locking eyes with her twin. "There are many things for which my father will be remembered, but what we will never forget is his passion for our family and kingdom. To begin, Rupert Archibald Noelle Dubrovka was born on January 12, 1959, at Noelle Castle. He was the only son of former King Archibald Dubrovka and Queen Delilah Noelle Dubrovka. Had been married to Queen Lilith Hedrick Dubrovka for twenty-seven years and had three children with her and a daughter-in-law.

Ever since he assumed the throne, he had this zeal of commitment to serve our people. Although I haven't been in his life for the past years, I do not doubt that he was a great leader. Just how he was a great husband and father. Before he met our mother, he was a wild bachelor. Mother would always say how father went on dangerous but exciting adventures. He'd get in trouble for staying out late and drunk, without knowing he impulsively arranged a betrothal with a lady. He did not know yet that she would become his one true love. Mother was furious with him during the first weeks of their marriage, as she had no idea of the deal he made with her father. They could not file for a divorce without reason and she had to live with him. As weeks turned into months, Rupert courted her."

Calista was surprised, she did not know her in-laws had an arranged marriage as well. She fluttered her eyes to her husband, registering the unreadable expression on his face.

"— Rupert was a man of many things. He was an excellent leader, a formidable soldier, a loving husband, and a caring father. He has lived a long life. We will forever cherish him and his memory. Ad astra, nunc et in perpetuum."

To the stars, now and forever.

"Ad astra, nunc et in perpetuum!" the crowd chanted, going on one knee.

The officiant blessed the casket once more before it was lifted. It will be headed to the royal's burial place, a burial chamber just outside the skirts of Noelle Castle.

"Are you alright?" asked Calista to Arwin once the voices lowered and people started leaving. It has been days since she last saw him before the king's death. He'd gotten occupied since then. The two of them trailed behind the queen and his siblings, headed to the reception hall.

"Yes," he replied, not sparing her a glance. "Can I retire this early? I don't feel well and I also don't wish to be around people with their condolences."

"Of course. I will be with your mother if you need me. Take a rest, Arwin. You need it."

Arwin wondered how she could be this caring and yet go behind his back by kissing another man. He wasn't able to confront her, he hasn't found the time with everything going on. Soon.

The prince pulled his wife closer to him, resting a hand on her cheek before his lips touched hers. Calista let out a small gasp. She was surprised at the sudden interaction with her wide eyes. She did not pull away though, as he gently nibbled on her lips. Her hand went to his hair, tugging it as his other hand securely wrapped around her waist. After a moment that seemed like hours, Arwin pulled away. "I will. See you later, bellísima."

Calista stood speechless. She couldn't believe it. They kissed. Voluntarily. She could still feel his lips, it was somehow addicting. Realizing she probably looked ridiculous in the middle of the hallway, she went to the powder room to refreshen. Her hair was fine but her lips...it was swollen. Damn him.

She contemplated heading to the reception hall, but she gave her word to Arwin. Being there would be one less problem for him to worry about. Besides, this was her chance to speak with countless nobles and earn their respect.

Head held high, chin up, and with the proper posture, Calista headed out of the powder room. She arrived just in time to see guests on their way to the buffet areas. She spotted Lady Valoma Khione and Lady Samantha Salvador huddled in a corner speaking distinctively.

"Ladies," Valoma was the first one to spot her. She was about to lower her head but the princess shook hers, "Please, you don't need to do that."

"Well, I am simply showing respect to my Crown Princess. She deserves every bit of it," she replied. "Her Highness has gotten rather busy these past weeks. Does she have time for her friends?"

Calista knew she was attempting to lighten the mood but Verona was right and this bothered her. Ever since being pulled into royal life, she barely had the opportunity to visit her two friends. She hasn't visited the Halvorsen Manor, either.

"I apologize about that. Being a royal has been challenging. It isn't easy. I barely have the time to visit my father." Not that he has made an effort to visit me.

"We know, we know. We've missed you. Going to events without you does not feel right. But of course, we understand the situation, Calista. Oh! Are we even allowed to call you by your first name?" Samantha asked, "If not, I'd be screwed."

"It's fine. Calista would be better than Your Highness."

"Well, Your Highness, it looks like a certain prince — a king, rather — has been occasionally turning his head in our direction for the past three minutes. I know too well the person he's looking for." the glimmer in Valoma's eyes was enough for her to know who the male was. The Havia royal family was in attendance, after all, sending their deepest condolences.

"It was nice catching up with you all. I hope for us to spend time together soon, preferably after my husband's coronation." her soft but endearing voice cut out, "Now if you'll excuse me, Lady Valoma and Lady Samantha. I must attend to other guests."

"Of course, Your Highness."

It didn't take long to notice the Dowager Queen, speaking with the Duke and Duchess of Halvorsen. Catching up with her in-laws. Lilith was the first one to speak, "Calista, come join us. Where's Arwin?"

"He does not feel well, Mother. He's currently resting. I've sent someone to check up on him." Calista's eyes moved to her father, expecting a reaction to her calling the Queen, mother. There weren't any. "Hello, Father. Ma."

A nod was the only response from her father. She doesn't bother talking more, her attention fixed on the queen as she narrated the many adventures she and her husband did in their 20s to several people gathered near them.

"Calista, it has been a while," Duchess Solace stepped forward and pecked her cheek. "We missed you."

"As do I." she replied, "As much I want to chat more, Iʼm afraid I have to decline. I have duties to attend to." And frankly, she could not stand being near her father for another moment. Calista loved her stepmother to bits, it was a pain that she was always stuck to her husband 24/7.

"No worries. Letʼs talk soon, perhaps over tea at the manor?"

"Yes, that can be arranged. Iʼll see you soon, Ma."

"Calista!" she barely had time to breathe before someone called her. It was Theia. As she walked towards her, Calista noticed that she was carrying something. Was that a baby?

"Oh, my God," Theia handed the baby to Calista. The baby looked so small and fragile in her arms. Was this the feeling of holding a newborn? "I'm utterly in love."

"Her name is Eloise Lynch Faye. Pretty, right?" a wide smile spread on the new mother. "Say hello to Aunt Cal, Eloise."

"Oh, you did not just..."

"Yes, she named her daughter after you. Lynch." a male voice interrupted. "A fitting middle name for my niece."

Calista handed Eloise back to her mother. "She's wonderful, Theia. I appreciate the gesture of naming her after me."

It was a slap on the face to see Declan. The feel of his lips on her cheek was still there, and she did not like it at all. "Declan. Congratulations on your coronation. Apologies for not attending; it's been a busy few weeks. Were you able to receive my present?"

"Yes, I did. Thank you, Calista. And it's no bother. I know how busy a royal can be, especially when they are in the spotlight." it did bother him, though. He looked forward to seeing her, only to be in disbelief. "Where is your husband, anyway?"

"Yeah, is he getting some air? I'd like Arwin to meet his niece. Aren't you excited to meet Uncle Arwin, huh?" Calista could tell that Theia would be one amazing mother. It was evident through her actions and the way she talked to her daughter in a tender voice.

"Arwin does not feel well. He's currently resting." she made a mental note to check on him later. It must be hard, what he's going through at the moment.

"That's alright. We have a few days before we need to leave. We will be staying until the coronation. Will you be staying, Declan?" Arwin's coronation would be held in three days. Calista was not prepared for it, to be honest. Two months married and he'd be king already?

"Rain check? It'll depend on my schedule." he glanced down at his Rolex, pretending to look as if his schedule will automatically appear.

Calista sipped her apple juice in a champagne class. For some reason, she was craving this instead of her usual red wine. "I should check in with the other guests. It was lovely meeting your daughter, Theia. And Declan, we'd appreciate it if you were able to attend."

"I'll see what I can do," he said.

The princess nodded. As she drank the last drops of her juice, her surrounding became a blur. She was about to trip on her foot but before that could happen, an arm wrapped around her waist. Was that Declan? Oh, no.

"Careful, princess." his voice came out, "Are you okay?"

"Yes, just got dizzy. You can let go now." she really did not want people looking at them like this. What would they think? That was not good at all.

"No, I don't think so." he replied, "In fact, I think I should carry you."

"Excuse me?" by now, people were staring with curious eyes and hushed tones.

"You're bleeding,"

──────────

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

277K 8K 36
"Reign means kingdom, reign means power, reign means sacrificing what you love most. Politics, intrigues, love. It's not what you think it is. It's m...
354K 10K 28
CURRENTLY REVISING. Expect updates but it is just the revision of the story. I hope you like it. A college girl gets her life ruined when her parents...
264 0 25
A princess destined at birth to marry the prince of all kings, the prince of The First Family. But, what happens when the prince disappears without...
121K 5.6K 23
Ranked #12 in girlxgirl |03/23/20| Ranked #6 in Updates |08/20/20| Ranked #2 in kingsandqueens |3/20/22| Trapped inside castle walls, heiress Aless...