A Family of Flaws

由 SmoochPuff

Peter Parker was Spider-Man. And not a single person knew. Tony Stark is tired of waiting for Spider-Man to c... 更多

Chapter One; Bullies and Criminals
Chapter Two; Watching A Bug
Chapter Three; The Anxious Waiting
Chapter Four; Meeting The Masked Spider
Chapter Five; Out Of The Hospital
Chapter Six; Spies Will Be Spies
Chapter Seven; Watching The Heroes Work
Chapter Eight; Daily Dose Of Anxiety
Chapter Nine; Coffee Break
Chapter Ten; Pills and Questions
Chapter Eleven; A Soldier's Assessment
Chapter Twelve; A Talk With A Friend
Chapter Thirteen; We Need An Intern
Chapter Fourteen; Friends Make Things Better
Chapter Fifteen; Walking But Not Talking
Chapter Sixteen; Two Spiders Meet
Chapter Seventeen; Training With The Mightiest
Chapter Eighteen; Things Feel Normal
Chapter Nineteen; A Masked Friend
Chapter Twenty; The Mercenary And Spider Fight
Chapter Twenty-One; An E-Mail To Remember
Chapter Twenty-Two; A Team Or A Family
Chapter Twenty-Three; The Cruel World
Chapter Twenty-Four; Mask-Buddies
Chapter Twenty-Six; Rooftop Talk
Chapter Twenty-Seven; A Soon-To-Be Arrival
Chapter Twenty-Eight; Flickers Of Anger
Chapter Twenty-Nine; To Shout At Those Who Care
Chapter Thirty; Blank

Chapter Twenty-Five; The Worried Thoughts Of An Ex-Spy

1.6K 65 10
由 SmoochPuff

*Clint's POV*

  Clint scowled as S.H.I.E.L.D. agents scurried around the disastrous scene that the team had just finished dealing with. The whole fight had been a shit-show from the start, but he was glad that it was finally over.

  A familiar presence was suddenly behind him, he turned to see Natasha standing beside him, arms crossed over her chest as she smirked at him. If he hadn't known her for as long as he did, he wouldn't have noticed the dark look in her eyes, but he had know her for a long time. He nodded towards an alleyway, asking a silent question. She nodded slightly, just enough that he knew that she wanted to leave. The fight was over and S.H.I.E.L.D. was handling everything now, so the duo snuck away silently into the alleyway.

  They scaled the wall together and came to a halt on top of the roof, looking out across the damage that the explosions from the fight had caused. That was a lot of property damage. Thankfully, Stark and S.H.I.E.L.D. would be able to handle anymore lawsuits and expenses.

  "That was a rough fight, huh?" Clint said as he looked over the damages. Natasha sighed from beside him, seemingly just as tired as he was. "Do you wanna go back to the tower or do you wanna walk around for a while?" He asked instead of waiting for a response to his first question.

  "I don't feel like having to act all emotionless right now." Natasha mumbled, it wasn't technically an answer but Clint knew what she meant, they were going to walk around for a while.

  "Y'know you can let your guard down around the team, Tasha." He used the personal nickname that he reserved for serious talks like this, when he really wanted her to listen. She sighed again and hopped across an alarmingly large gap between two buildings, looking back at him expectingly.

  He shook his head softly but took a few steps back and ran forward, clearing the gap swiftly. "Okay, I get it, you aren't feeling very chatty today." Clint mumbled, hands behind his head as he walked beside Natasha, the duo falling into comfortable silence as they hopped from building to building.

"So, how do you feel about this kid that Stark is hiring?" Clint asked as casually as he could. He might get a little too excited at the thought of having a kid around again. He missed his kids all the time even if he knew that they were safer at the farmhouse. Thankfully, they got to FaceTime every night and he visited them at least once a week, it wasn't enough to stop the homesick feeling from washing over him every time that he saw parents getting to spend time with their kids, but it was better than not seeing them at all.

"Don't get your hopes up, Clint, Tony said nothing will be decided until the kid spends at least a month in the lower labs." Natasha replied in a clipped tone that made Clint wince, he knew all too well what was bothering her. Unlike Clint, Natasha hadn't even gotten to have kids. That choice had been taken from her. And adoption could be really hard for someone with such an intense background as her, even if Stark's lawyers helped.

She had never tried to adopt, her life had been far too busy and dangerous as of recent years, but she had wanted kids for as long as he had known her. She always flinched, just enough that he could notice, when kids were mentioned. And this kid was no different. If this kid ends up being a permanent intern, then things were going to go one of two ways. Natasha will love this kid more than anything in the world or, worriedly enough, he might just bring all her painful thoughts to the surface. Clint truly hoped that the second scenario wouldn't happen, Nat had been through enough and he just wanted her to finally be at peace with herself and the life she's living.

"Tasha..." Clint started, voice low and understanding. Natasha jumped across to the other roof and froze, he followed closely behind and turned to her, trying to catch her gaze. "I know you're upset, Nat, but—" Natasha turned a deadly glare in his direction.

Clint flinched back slightly, but he pressed forward. "No, you need to listen. Just because you don't want to hear it—" This time, instead of giving him a menacing look, she clamped a hand over his mouth. He licked her hand, admittedly it was a little childish, but she had that coming!

"You idiot— shut up for two seconds!" Natasha exclaimed in a whisper-shout, rubbing her slobbery hand on his chest— he chose to ignore that for now. "You can give me your little wholesome speech later, now look." She pointed to the other side of the rooftop, where a familiar hero was laying on the ground, his masked face was pushed up against the ground while his hands sat fisted together, covering his ears.

"Oh..." Clint mumbled under his breathe while Natasha crept closer to the fallen hero, who sat in the same position that they had found him in, unmoving other than the slight rise and fall of his shoulders as he brought in shallow breathes.

Clint followed after her as quietly as he could and crouched down beside Spider-Man, who was strangely unresponsive. He seemed fully conscious based on his current position, but not a single thing about him changed even when Natasha called out to him softly. "Spidey? Are you... alright?" Natasha hesitated on the last word, almost like she didn't want to admit that she was worried, but she dropped all her emotional defenses for a moment as Spider-Man didn't respond. "Spider-Man, answer me." She said in a more stern voice, but Clint could hear the thick worry that got stuck at the back of her throat.

  Clint reached a hand forward and gently placed it on Spider-Man's shoulder, nearly falling back as the younger hero shouted out in pain and curled further in on himself, his body shook slightly as he went back to sitting in an unmoving position.

  The duo exchanged concerned looks as they sat above the masked hero, unsure of what to do. He wouldn't respond to either of them when they tried to talk to him, but he sounded like he was hurt after Clint touched him. Was he injured? But his suit looked fine, maybe a little dusty from the roof, but completely fine other than that.

"Spidey, are you hurt from a mission or something?" Clint asked in a louder tone than Natasha, trying to get some reaction from the arachnid. Instead of responding, Spider-Man made a noise similar to a cry and his arms tensed as he pushed his hands harder over his ears.

Beside Clint, Natasha let out a string of curses in Russian, a look of understanding on her face as he turned to look at her. "I think I know what this is." Natasha told Clint, but she wasn't speaking. She was using sign language, which they both had learned because he was deaf.

He raised an eyebrow at the odd choice of communication, but he went along with it instead of questioning her. "Mind explaining then?" He signed back while glancing at the younger hero.

"I believe this is a sensory overload." Natasha replied simply before standing up. "Stay with him. Do not touch him or make any noises. I will be back soon." Natasha added before she took off in the direction of the tower.

Clint sat where he was for a moment before he sat down in a better position and turned to the arachnid, watching over him with worried eyes as he waited for Natasha to come back.

*Natasha's POV*

  Natasha kept her face neutral as she ran along the tops of buildings, twisting and maneuvering as much as she needed to so that she never lost her momentum. Spider-Man was a new hero who she hardly knew, but she still felt compelled to help him. Something about him was so strangely young and it almost scared her.

  She truly hoped that she was wrong, but she was starting to think that Spider-Man wasn't as old as the team had originally thought. They had assumed he was in his early twenties, maybe nineteen, but they never would have guessed that he was under the age of eighteen.

  They had seen his smaller stature and assumed he was just short. That wasn't a crazy thought, right? What was crazy was the possibility of a teenager running around a dangerous city fighting thugs and villains.

  But Natasha had been looking into Spider-Man a lot, especially as of recently. And it wasn't that outrageous of a thought. He only went out a night or on the weekends, running on the average school schedule. He was a very sloppy fighter, with clearly no experience or training. His body language showed that his body was still changing, slightly too long arms and an awkward stance that he constantly held. And his speech— he spoke loosely, but there was an almost childish nervousness present when he spoke to the team. He used language that definitely fit that of a younger person.

  Everything about him screamed young. But it felt wrong. A teenager should not be fighting thugs and villains, and a teenager should definitely not be helping the Avengers on missions.

  As Natasha neared the tower, she desperately tried to push the nervous thoughts away. She shouldn't even care. She didn't know this man (a scared, nervous voice corrected her and whispered the word kid) so she shouldn't want to help him, take him under her wing so that he could learn from someone experienced. That was Clint or Steve or someone else on the team— they were all so much more suited for that. She was selfish to want to help him, she could tell Tony that she thinks that Spider-Man is a teenager and he could handle the rest.

  But she knew she wouldn't. She wanted to be selfish this once. She didn't want to involve the rest of the team. She could help Spidey behind the scenes and keep his secret. The team could figure this out on their own, or Spidey would tell them himself.

  Natasha dropped between two buildings and slipped out, having gotten as close as she could to the tower, and headed towards the back entrance reserved solely for those Tony trusted the most.

  She could keep this secret. She was an ex-spy, so this was hardly a hard thing for her to do. And the fact that she would be helping a teenager who was a hero by keeping this secret, well, that only made this easier to do. The guilt of keeping this from the team, from Clint— that was manageable if it helped this teenage hero.

  Natasha took the elevator up, standing in the corner as she always did. Another habit she hadn't been able to break.

  The numbers that sat above the door flashed by as she was brought to the Avengers floor. She got off the elevator and snuck past the living room, slipping down the hallway that leads to the rooms. She easily entered her room without making a sound and grabbed the items that she had come for, soundproof headphones and a thick pair of sunglasses.

  She had suffered through the occasional sensory overload, but it was never too bad for her. Tony had made a set of these for everyone on the team because most of them were either enhanced or fucked up on some level from all the shit they had gone through because of their career choice.

  Natasha had thought that it was stupid to give her this set, because of her lack of sensory overloads, but she had never been so thankful for them. They were lightly covered in dust because of all the time that they had been kept at the back of her closest, but she easily cleaned them off and rushed back out of her room. She needed to remember to tell Tony to make another set specifically for Spider-Man, but first she needed to see if these were strong enough for him, or if he would need a better set.

  Slipping into the elevator undetected, Natasha snuck back to the corner and stood there, clutching the headphones and sunglasses close to her. She took in a deep breathe and plastered the neutral expression back onto her face. What was one more secret? Especially one that was helping a teenager who was in desperate need of some support.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

493K 12.7K 22
You know very little about your past. The only thing you're aware of is that you're adoptive mother, Natasha Romanoff, is an Avenger. Meaning, you li...
46.3K 1K 11
Peter has a secret he's Spider-Man well that and he has a crush on his best friend. You have a secret of your own you're known as black cat New York'...
2.7M 89K 50
During the day, Peter Parker is just an average teenager, except for the fact that he's an orphan living in an abusive orphanage. But during the nigh...
153K 3.3K 40
Peter is actually the biological son of Tony and Pepper Stark. Though it has been kept a secret for the longest time, they plan to reveal the heir to...