Everything

By ColouredCookie

"He's left you, hasn't he?" All her life, Adriana Rodriguez dreamt of her happily ever after: marriage, child... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L - EPILOGUE
one
two

XLII

87 3 0
By ColouredCookie

"You ready to get married now, Rodriguez?"

I blinked, regaining conscious thought from staring out of the window at the beautiful sight before me.

Spencer had informed me delicately in the days leading up to the wedding that we might have to have a contingency plan. The weather in London was notorious for souring quickly, and so it was best to cross our fingers to wake up on a decent day.

It seemed someone up there was looking out for me, and the sun was shining gloriously, the perfect sign for our perfect day.

Out of the window, I could see the huge trees which served as the centrepiece for our wedding. The gorgeous white blossoms hung beautifully over the aisle which had been carved out in white and cream flowers, with a collection of white chairs either side.

Over the last ten minutes, I could see our guests beginning to file in. With such short notice I was surprised anyone could come at all, but beside from our wedding party, who were no doubt busy preparing themselves elsewhere, I could see a handful of our joint friends from college and from over the years, a few of Spencer's close confidants from the Global offices in New York and London, one or two of my associates from work...and, if I looked close enough, Simon Webster and Eric Boone together with their wives, milling around with champagne glasses in hand.

It was hard to believe this was my wedding day. That I was getting married. And that I was getting married to Spencer Haywood.

I could picture myself now, gliding down the aisle, ready to meet him. Ready for his hands to clasp mine, ready to look into his eyes and feel safe and at home. Ready for him to become my husband.

"Earth to Adriana!" I heard Licia calling, "It's time!"

I turned, looking at my best friend. She looked ethereal in her pale pink, floor length gown which cinched her in tight at the waist, wearing her natural hair, pinned back into a gorgeous side bun which let her face shine and showed off the diamond earrings I'd bought her for the occasion and to thank her for being my maid of honour.

Right now though she was laughing at me, tapping my shoulder and telling me to hurry up and get down the stairs, and that I was pushing being fashionably late, to actually late.

"Sorry," I said, coming to my senses fully, "Licia, do I look okay?"

She pursed her lips, looking at me with an incredulous expression written all over her face, "Okay? Girl, I'd be surprised if Haywood doesn't faint at the end of the aisle. You look knock out gorgeous. I've never seen a more beautiful bride. Spencer is beyond lucky to have you."

"Don't." I said, fanning my face, "You're going to make me cry."

"Adri, I've already cried like five times today already, you've gotta catch up." she laughed, biting her lip, "Come on, let's get you married before I change my mind and decide old Haywood down there isn't good enough for you."

I giggled, taking her hand as she helped me to manoeuvre my wedding dress down the stairs. Perhaps I should've gone with something less...big. But undoubtedly, it was the best I'd ever felt in a dress in my entire life. When the women in my life: Licia, Mama, Abuelita, Mum and Serena, had helped me into it this morning, I knew I'd made the right choice. I just hoped Spencer would feel the same way.

Standing at the bottom of the stairs was my wedding party. Serena, bouncing up and down on the spot in her bridesmaids dress with her blonde hair neatly coiffed, Antonio, Sebastian and Richard looking dashing in their well-tailored suits, my mother in a giant wedding hat and pencil dress, with Spencer's mom in a gorgeous long dress which suited her short frame.

And finally, my father, whose eyes glistened as he watched me descend the stairs and extended his hand which Licia placed into mine.

"Mi cielito," he managed to smile and squeeze my hand, although his expression read shock, "Te ves asombrosa. A beautiful bride. I am so proud of you."

Tears welled in my eyes, and I willed myself not to cry, "Thank you, Papa." I'd already had a heart to heart with my mother and grandmother this morning, where I'd allowed my tears to flow unrestrained - seeing as I hadn't had any makeup on.

"Doesn't she look incredible?!" Serena exclaimed, barely able to contain her excitement as usual, "Oh my God, Adriana, you look like an angel."

I blushed as the women of my wedding party got to work, helping to fix my hair, my veil, taking my phone out of my hands, dusting powder on my face.

This was all...a lot. I was beyond ready to just get married and spend the rest of my life with Spencer, who I'd missed like crazy since he left last night. I wonder where he is right now?

"You're thinking about my brother aren't you," Serena smirked, "That is...high key gross, but so sweet at the same time."

I rolled my eyes, smiling at Serena, "Can I please go and get married now?!"

"You're all good to go, sister-in-law." she smiled, stepping back, "Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?"

My dad was at my side, tucking my arm under his, and the rest of our wedding party dematerialised, as I heard violin strings begin to play outside.

Taking a few deep breaths, I leaned into my father's strong side and he smiled down at me, kissing the top of my head.

"Ready, Papa?" I asked

"As I'll ever be, baby girl." he replied, and began walking us in the direction of the double doors to the back garden.

As the doors swung open, the sunlight momentarily blinded me, but then it felt as if all the breath had been stolen from my lungs.

The scene before me was even more beautiful than it looked from upstairs and I was overwhelmed at how it exceeded my expectations and more.

But the best thing was seeing the back of Spencer's head as Sebastian, his best man of course, leant in to whisper something in his ear, clapping his shoulder and smiling in my direction. I don't think the back of a head had ever looked so good.

And then he turned, pivoting on one heel to lock eyes with mine and everything else just seemed to melt away at the sides like hot butter. Oh, how I'd missed him.

As I approached him, still tucked underneath my father's arm, I watched as his chest rose and fell heavily, how his Adam's Apple bobbed up and down as he swallowed hard, how his eyes were blinking rapidly, almost as if he couldn't take in what he was seeing.

This was our moment. And in that moment, nothing else mattered. Somehow I managed to remain my composure and not catapult myself down the aisle and into his arms, but, boy, I couldn't wait for him to hold me.

His suit, a perfect fit, showed off his strong shoulders, chest and back, and there was a white blossom tucked into his buttonhole, matching Alicia and Serena's flowers, which gently swayed as the wind picked up.

Spencer's eyes appeared to flit down my body, taking in every aspect and detail of my dress. It was off the shoulder, lace, fitted tight to my bust and torso but then spilling out from where it cinched my waist in the most gorgeous silhouette, a princess-like skirt with delicate lace details in the front and long at the back.

I'd kept my hair up, just as he liked it, as he'd always said he liked to see my neck and collarbone..and liked to kiss me there too. And my veil, light and airy, flew all the way down my back and out, it too picking up with the wind

After a lifetime fitted into several moments, we stood eye to eye, my father reluctantly letting go of my hand, and allowing me to take Spencer's.

Spencer, his eyes glistening, puffed out a long breath as his thumb skated over my knuckles, "You...Adriana, you...you take my breath away. I'm so lucky." his voice was low and made everything in my stomach clench up tight.

"I'm the lucky one." I whispered, holding his hands tighter and letting the joy wash over me like a tidal wave.

"Dearly beloved..." Pastor Andrews began in seriousness, before grinning widely, "Are we ready to get this show on the road?"

The congregation, who I was noticing again for the first time in minutes, laughed and there were collective nods amongst them.

"How about you, kids? Ready to start?" Pastor Andrews lowered his voice.

"More than ready, Pastor." Spencer replied,"I've been ready for...oh about, eight years." The corner of his lips curved up in a smile.

I blushed under Spencer's intense gaze and nodded at the good pastor.

"Excellent," Pastor Andrews said, "Well, at your request...repeat after me..."

*

Spencer cleared his throat, "My wife and I--"

The tent full of guests immediately erupted into riotous cheers, with some drumming against their tables, or tapping forks against their champagne glasses.

Spencer chuckled, holding up his other hand to silence them as he shifted the microphone in his hand.

We were married. A perfect ceremony which went off without a hitch and 40 minutes later, I was officially Mrs Spencer Haywood. I could barely begin to describe the happiness I felt.

Spencer had ensured we'd got a moment to spend alone after the ceremony, where he'd proceeded to give me the less PG-version of our kiss at the altar.

"Mrs Haywood," he panted, eyes wide, "You look to die for. F*ck, you've really outdone yourself this time. I can't believe I get to have you all to myself."

I smirked against his lips, "Well, believe it, Mr Haywood, because I'm not going anywhere any time soon. You're stuck with me for life."

"Thank God," he breathed out, "Adriana, this dress, this hair, this-- everything about you, you look absolutely--"

I shook my head with a smile, pressing a finger to his lips, "Plenty of time for that later, husband of mine, we have official photographs to take, and guests waiting."

And that brought us to this very moment, my handsome man giving his wedding speech, one hand on the microphone, the other hand in mine.

He grinned, "As I was saying, my wife and I -- we'd like to thank everyone who managed to make it out today. I know it was short notice, but seeing Adriana today, and how utterly stunning she looks, I think you can understand why I didn't want to wait any longer to put my ring on her finger."

Our guests cheered again. If there was one thing my husband knew how to do, was to command a crowd in an instant.

"In all seriousness though," Spencer cleared his throat, "I'm incredibly grateful to all of the people who helped to put this day together for us, and who decided to go along with my countless hair-brained schemes to make our wedding special.

"That's my mum and dad, who dropped everything to help us, especially lending us the house! My mum for the food, which I'm sure you'll agree is second to none, my dad for all the administrative stuff you wouldn't even think of when it comes to a wedding. Sebastian! The best brother a guy could ask for, for being my best man, organising a place for you all to sit tonight, under this beautiful tent, and procuring us the rings in...what was it? Two days? You're a star.

"I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my baby sister, Serena, just out of university, who managed to put this all together - the dresses for herself and Licia: the bridesmaids, who look stunning today, the suits for us guys to wear, my wife's amazing dress--- scratch that the amazing dresses, and all things fashion. I have always been proud of you and no more so than today - she's the next big thing guys!"

Our guests gave Serena a huge cheer and she simpered under the attention.

Of course, she'd absolutely perfected my reception dress, just as I knew she would. Another beautiful, pure white, off the shoulder number which gave me the hourglass shape I never knew I had and trailed off into the most gorgeous ruffles which looked like feathers in a trumpet shape. I felt as if I was gliding on air with every step I took.

Spencer smiled, "Licia - mine and Adri's best friend, who has supported us every step of the way, and the person who introduced me to the woman of my dreams - I am beyond grateful. My new family. Mama, who has always been so good to me, Papa who has really taken me under his wing in the last few weeks - even if I didn't let on to my wife at the time! And of course, Antonio, my new additional big brother. We've had our...disagreements--"

Antonio, mere seats away from me, snorted, shaking his head with a laugh.

"--about your baby sister. But I truly want to thank you for putting your trust in me and promising not to kill me. I really do appreciate that last bit."

"For now!" Antonio called out, making everyone, myself included, laugh.

Spencer sighed, and looked down at me briefly, squeezing my hand tighter.

"I guess that leaves one more person. And I've really saved the best for last here. My wife: Mrs Adriana Esmerelda Haywood - I can't believe I'm saying that out loud!

"Only a few people know that I have been in love with this amazing woman since I was 19 years old - a very different version of myself than the one which stands before you now. And to be honest with all of you, I'm still absolutely astounded she, this angel sent from heaven, decided to even give me the time of day.

"Adriana. Words cannot even begin to describe how grateful I am for your love. Having you as my best friend, I was lucky enough, but to get to walk through life by your side is a blessing from God.

"You look absolutely breathtaking today, and I'm actually staggered being in your presence. You have given me so much of yourself. So much that I don't deserve. But just to know I'm spending the rest of my life with you, feels like I've already hit the jackpot and more. I get to marry my beautiful best friend - how many guys can say that? I've said it to you before, Adriana, and I'll say it again: I have loved you, I do love you, and I always will love you. You are everything to me."

It was pointless trying to stop my tears at that point. They ran down my face like a waterfall and I frantically dabbed at my face with a napkin.

Spencer grinned, "So, before the first dance begins in..." he looked at his Rolex, "T Minus two minutes...I'd love you all to raise a glass. To my beautiful wife, Adriana, and to the future."

As our guests toasted, cheered and chattered, a familiar song began to play. Spencer had selected it himself, and refused to tell me what it would be, but looking up at him I knew exactly what it was. We'd danced around his kitchen, his piano, his whole apartment to it more than enough times.

He smiled down at me fondly, helping me to my feet in my four inch heels, "Ready, Mrs Haywood?"

"For everything, Mr Haywood." I grinned back.

As Spencer held me in his arms on our dance floor, twirling me around 'You're The First, The Last, My Everything' by Barry White played on the speakers around us. It was apt. He'd told me I was everything to him every chance he'd got, and he was definitely everything and more to me.

"You did good, Haywood." I grinned, pressing my cheek against his.

"I did?" He questioned, almost as if he couldn't believe it himself.

"So, so, so good," I tilted my head upwards so I could look into his eyes, "You'll get all the rewards later."

His blue eyes twinkled and he looked at me with a gaze so hot I could've melted on the spot, "All the rewards?"

I smirked, kissing him softly, "Hm. I'm sure that can be arranged."

As Spencer whispered sweet nothings with his mouth against the shell of my ear, I could almost feel myself going lax in his arms. While my anticipation was undoubtedly rising for the time we'd get to spend together alone this evening, I couldn't help but focus on our future.

This was the beginning. The start of our new lives together. We were standing on a cliff edge, holding hands and ready to jump off with no idea as to where the journey would take us, but confident in the knowledge we'd do it together. I was sure this was what true love and true marriage was.

With Spencer, I was more than willing, and in fact, excited for whatever the future would bring. We were sure to have the ride of our lives.

*************************************************************************

[Author's Note]

Don't you just love a wedding?! I do - I went to a wedding a couple of months ago and nearly sobbed - romance is so heart-warming.

So, without further ado, Adriana and Spencer are Mr and Mrs Haywood - my heart soars! Their wedding song - attached to this chapter - is one of my all-time favourites, and was in my head when I was thinking about the title of this book way back when. Nice to come full circle. 

My next chapter will be up very soon. I want to power through!

Hope you enjoyed, and thank you for sticking around!

- Bex. 'xo 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6M 89.4K 45
**Highest Ranking : #1 in Chicklit** [ A WATTPAD FEATURED STORY ] Mabel Carter traveled half way across the country to attend college and get away...
721 18 18
Rose Thomas works for a medium-sized PR firm in New York, called PRight Now. Her new Department Manager, Samuel Marsten, sees great potential in her...
49.6K 1.4K 31
After enduring years of abuse, Ali finally had enough. She packed everything she could and left her ex to start a new life with her four-year-old son...
894K 30K 61
Rosie White, an Art History student working to achieve her life goal of becoming a sought-after local artist. She pours her heart and soul into her a...