Hybrids

Від Snap_Write_Studio

This is a mixed world AU it's fantasy land post-human earth. Animals have taken over including taking a simil... Більше

The Shopkeeper

Play Date

2 0 0
Від Snap_Write_Studio

The morning was filled with gleeful screams as Marine laughed fighting with his very excited child to put clothes on her. Jasmine fought against it, squealing, screaming, and complaining that it’s taking too long. “Now my dear, you know that you have to wear clothes in town, it’s only taking this long because you are fighting me on this.” Marine tried his best to hide his laugh behind his toothy grin switching to a stern fatherly look when his daughter pouts up at him logic having finally kicked in. She had a playdate with her best friend Sable, Rita had practically trapped Marine into the deal having mentioned it to Jasmine infront of him making it impossible to say no. Rita had smirked evilly when Jasmine gave him the kitten eyes right as he was about to say no, and therefore, lost the battle.

“Dad! Hurry up, do my hair please! I want to see Sable!" Jasmine groaned when he wasn’t quick enough to do her request she ran around the room in circles making herself dizzy as she squeals and screams. Marine grabbed the comb and scissors to give her a trim. She insisted she have ‘daddy’s hair’ even though she could easily have longer prettier hair. He didn’t have the heart to deny her anything if he could help it. Jasmine sat on the floor in-between Marines knees while he sat on the bed and began to trim the dead ends of her Mo-hawk that imitates his natural mane. He combed the front fringe to the side somewhat covering her scar above her green eye just like she likes. He finally got her to stop begging last week to get it dyed, he came up with some harebrained excuse like 'dye is poisonous to those under 20 summers!' And then got called old.

Jasmine seemed to buzz on the floor waiting to be allowed up, her cheeks puffed with air in her annoyance until Marine gave the go ahead for her to get up and grab her small pouch and cape as it was getting colder these days, the sun seemed to set far sooner than usual and the trees began to shift colors reminding him of a fire across the forest floor, the dirt path he always took to town seemed to wear down more and more each day as tiny paws followed him, twisting and dancing around next to him bringing a beautiful wave of colors with them. Everything seems more beautiful through a child's eyes. To be able to share how beautiful everything is with the simple wonder shining in her eyes at things she's seen a million times. Making this dusty old path seem welcoming and beautiful.

“Daddy! Hurry up! I wanna go! Hurry your big furry butt papa!” Jasmine huffed again, gripping Marine’s hand and attempting to drag him off the bed. This snapped Marine out of his daze with a smile on his face. He crouched growling playfully at Jasmine after depositing the scissors and comb into a bucket “You better run, the tickle monster is gonna get you for being mean to your old man!” Jasmine squeals gleefully and slid down the ladder and to the ditch beside the path, Marine gave her a head start and grabbed his cloak and pouch, sliding down the ladder much the same and chased his darling daughter through their path, her darting between trees and in bushes. Marine kept a moderate pace, letting his little girl outrun him to give her the thrill of winning, he would speed up and pretend to snatch her and then ‘miss’ and she’d run faster and giggle and laugh, filling the trees with her beautiful voice.

Right before town he caught her and tackled her onto his chest, tickling her sides and blowing sweet raspberries on her belly, “The tickle monster wins this round! Admit defeat or he might not stop,” Marine shouted maniacally with evil laughter as he blew another raspberry on her belly. “Stop it Daddy! Mini Monster gives up! Tickle monster wins!” She shouted between tears of laughter, when he stopped she tried to gasp for breath with a smile on her face, she nuzzled her Daddy’s chest as he carried her the rest of the way to town.

Marine smiled as Jasmine tucks herself into his chest, his grin faded as per usual when he reached town. He no longer has to wear the cloak over his face as he has become well known enough for it not to matter. Oddly, no one bothered him but no one interacted beyond necessity either. He was just a neutral being existing in the town from time to time, he could be grateful for that at least, hostility with a child in tow would not be great. He took the usual path to Rita’s store, it had expanded recently and so had her family. She had met a young male fox that captured her heart after her previous mate's passing she had stated Sable was all she needed but that had been such a long time ago. Marine was happy she was able to move on and find love and happiness again. He knew the previous mate only briefly before his passing, a town guard died protecting a child and it’s sibling from a wild beast. The children live and still come with their mother to pay respect to Rita and her old mates urn. An honorable death for a father and guard if there ever was one. Sable looks so much like him and shares a lot of his values thanks to Rita.

Upon arrival it could be seen that Sable was jumping around outside with a fake set of guard armor sized for a child, dirt getting tossed around as he pretends to fight a post, his mother coming up behind him to scold him for dirtying the shops display products with wild exasperated gestures.

Rita was first to notice Marine coming down the cobblestone road, walking alongside another shop selling cured meats and grilled delicacies for the region, the cobblestone path laid beneath his feet as familiar as his home in the forest amidst the trees. The scent of food and old wood, rain buckets, and soft earth flooded his nose. A second home to him was this very path and shop. Rita waved at him, grabbing Sables attention, his eyes lit up like stars when he spotted jasmine in his arms who was squirming to rush to her best friend and get to playing. “Let go! Let go! I wanna play!” Jasmine squealed.
“Is that how I taught you to ask?” Marine gave Jasmine the look, she knows to behave better in town. She gets away with much more at home, including rudeness to her dad but she cannot be this way in front of others; it's inappropriate, and affects her social standing within the town. It’s better she learns this now than for her to be rude to the wrong person or be crass even to her dad in town. They would do anything to have a good  reason to start a scene with Marine and he doesn’t want to have to kill anyone for trying.

“Sorry Daddy...Can I please go play with Sable now?” Jasmine asked with the kitten eyes and praying paws. Marine chuffed with a smirk and set her down and off she ran like a stampede crashing right into Sable who had held out his arms for her to do so, they are both near the same age, with Sable being 9 summers, and Jasmine about 6 summers. Sable and Jasmine erupted into giggle fits as they tickled eachother, one running from the other getting tackled, tagged and trading places. Marine went inside while they wrestled and ran their seemingly endless energy off. Rita joined him inside and they sat for an afternoon meal and a cup of tea from the herbs Marine gathered in the forest for the occasion, they chatted for what seemed forever when her new mate came home from his work at the smithy covered in a thick layer of grime but happy to see Rita and Marine.

Rita ran to him and jumped into his arms, he twirled her around in a circle and planted a kiss to her cheek, “Hello Gorgeous, have you and Sable been doing okay? He’s running around like a chicken with no head with Jazz, no idea how they have so much energy to spare, I wish I had even half the amount” Jack chuckled softly, looking at Rita like she was his entire world. “Oh he has been good, he was excited to see Jasmine today I’ve been a little ill but well enough,” Rita smiled softly, she shifted her gaze back at Marine who awkwardly coughed and smiled. She blushed and smacked Jacks shoulder to get him to let go quickly. He did so with a chuckle and a quick smack to her bottom, eliciting a yelp and blush from Rita who quickly retreated for a moment.

“Hello Marine, have you been well my friend?” Jack strided over to Marine and shook his hand before sitting next to him. Rita quickly rejoins them, returning to nurse her warm tea.
“I am well my friend, She has so much energy and seems to be gone for longer each day into the surrounding forest, she knows not to stray far and I am close by at all times but she is a spirited one and so stubborn.” he laughed heartily enjoying his memories of her recent adventures. “Now, I wonder where she gets her stubbornness from?” Jack jabbed at Marine jokingly, Marine faked shock “Definitely not me, must be you.” Rita rolled her eyes but smiled behind her cup as they busted out into mutual laughter. Jasmine and Sable burst through the shop door running around still chasing each other, at the moment Jasmine was the chaser and was gaining on Sable, bouncing around till she tackled him, effectively pinning him face first and flat on the ground crouching on his back her little bobbed tail wagging. He groaned from beneath her tapping the floor. “You win this time Jazzy! That’s 20-23.” Sable grumbled and stuck his tongue out at her when she let him up. “Rock paper scissors? Or hide and seek? I done chasing you, you too slow Sabby.” Jasmine puffed her cheeks, when Sables eyes welled up and he pouted clearly angry at her comment.
Marine glared at Jasmine, “Be nice! You don’t make mean comments like that to your friends. You wouldn’t like being called slow when doing your best would you?” Jasmine pouted, tapping her feet together while hanging her head. “Sorry Sabby..” Jasmine sniffled at being called out by her dad. “It's okay, don’t do it again please!” Sable shouted excitedly totally forgetting he should be upset and said they should play hide and seek. They ran off to play outside again slamming the door behind them not returning till the sun went down.

Marine, Rita, and Jack just relaxed till the children passed out on the floor in a pile of fur with a blanket placed over the pile for fear they would wake if moved and start their rampage all over again. “This was an enjoyable evening my friends, stay safe I must make the trip home now.” Marine said as he hugged Rita, taking her hand and kissing it before turning to shake hands and clap Jacks back in a hug. Such a change from the time so long ago that he hated physical affection, he still hates it with others but he had long since made them the exception to the rule.

He picked up Jasmine from the top of the pile, tucking her into his arms covering her face and body with he discard cape. He quietly opened the door heading down the path toward home, sticking closer to the outskirts of the town at this time of night. Having to go slower so as to not wake up his daughter he decided to take in the scenery quietly.

The night cast a blue glow over the town and forestry, it complimented the fall colors so well and left a comforting chill against his cheek, the soft sounds of crickets in the night accompanied by the serenades of the owls from the forest. Occasionally a dog would bark complimenting the song filling the night air. Crisp leaves crunching under his paws on the dirt path relaxing Marine with the familiarity, Jasmine's soft snores from his arms made him sleepy as well, his yawn ripped from his throat without his permission.

Since when did his life become so calm he could relax enough on a walk home through the forest that he could yawn. He used to be hated wherever he went, and while he sure wasn’t popular he finally had a family of his own. His world widened only because of this little fur ball he calls his daughter. Adopting her as his own was the best decision he ever made in his life. He was even grateful for the hardships of his past that he had to endure, he wouldn’t have met her if he didn’t leave his fathers tribe in the marshlands. If he hadn’t been chased to the forests by villagers in the plains he wouldn’t have settled down here in time to find Jasmine in that box. She was his whole world, the reward of her growing up to be a strong, capable and independent woman will be his greatest accomplishment in life.

Much too soon home came into view he clasped her to his chest as he climbed up the ladder, opened his door and laid her into bed beside him and tucked them both into the plush fur blankets. While he lay next to her enjoying the deep set pride coursing through his veins he vowed , “You will be safe for as long as I live, you are my family and my life, may the gods grant you safe passage through this life and allow me to be there for you for as long as I can.” Marine kissed her forehead and curled himself into the blankets and fell asleep right alongside her.

Author note:
This traveled a bit into the future of Marine and Jasmines story, she's 6 and her friend Sable is 9. You will get to see the differences between then and now, following the development of their lives through a wider lens than day to day can.

These stories will not be in order, i'm setting the timeline of the main book eventually through these mini stories.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

46.6K 2.7K 22
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 # 𝟏 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐚𝐚𝐳 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬. Love or betrayal? Consumption of betrayals. Internal betrayal? Yes! Will they be overcome? Or W...
62.2K 1.9K 41
Maenya Targaryen. Born in 96 AC, The first child of Aemma and Viserys Targaryen, All seemed well, Maenya was "The gem of the Kingdoms" her younger si...
143K 4K 27
Warning: 18+ ABO worldကို အခြေခံရေးသားထားပါသည်။ စိတ်ကူးယဉ် ficလေးမို့ အပြင်လောကနှင့် များစွာ ကွာခြားနိုင်ပါသည်။
1.2M 40K 59
Princess Nymeria is well aware that her kingdom is in decline. It has been for hundreds of years after all. Unlike her ancestors, she's willing to re...