The Outsiders - Three Brothers

By kellinquinnlover

The Outsiders; set before the novel and non-canon. Darry, Sodapop, and Ponyboy all live together and work to... More

Party at Buck's
Buck's party pt 2
After Party
Face the music
Tears and Phone Calls
Caught
Calm before the storm
Returning Home
Face the music pt 2
Suds
Visit day
Quarters
Guilty
Pink slips
School day woes
Forgary
I hate you
Pink slips - 2
Bowling
First Date
Boys gossip too
Dinner date
Lunch Date
School Fights
Police trouble
After the station
27
Candy
Jumped
30
31
32
Shepard
34
Hotel
36
Pranks
Vandalism
Birthday
40
Sick
42
Carnival
Teenage Rebellion
Date night
47
48
49
50
51
52
53

Open house

769 8 0
By kellinquinnlover

Summer was coming to an end, which meant Ponyboy and Sodapop had open house at their schools to get their class schedules and school supplies list.

"I'm dropping out as soon as I turn sixteen in October, coming here is a waste of time." Sodapop reiterated the statement for what felt like the thousandth time that summer. 

"And until you turn sixteen, you'll be going to school. Besides, I thought you'd give high school another chance now that you have a college girl."

Sodapop gave a small shrug at the mention of Holly. They'd actually broken up a week earlier, they'd gone to dinner and she told him she was transferring to Oklahoma State. That they could still call one another and wrote, but she thought for the moment they'd be better off seeing other people.  "Yeah well...." He hadn't told Darry yet, had just been wallowing in his own self-pity.

"Well what? Did something happen?" Darry asked as he picked up Sodapop's class schedule and supply list from the front desk. 

"She's transferring to Oklahoma state."

"That's good." For her.

"So she thinks we should start seeing other people." He said sourly.

Darry stopped his walk towards the front door and turned to look at his brother, "when did this happen?"

"Last week."

"Why didn't you say something sooner?"

Sodapop just shrugged, "it's just some girl, no reason to make a fuss over it like a wuss."

"Sodapop," Darry put an arm around his brother's shoulder and sighed softly. "It's not just some girl. You really liked her - didn't you?" Sodapop nodded, "then it matters. You shouldn't keep those feelings to yourself. We're always on Ponyboy about bottling stuff up - well that goes for you too."

They started walking again, and Sodapop didn't speak until they'd gotten in the truck. "It sucks." Was what he finally said. "I really liked her and I thought she really liked me too."

Ponyboy, who had been waiting in the truck - was now throughly confused. "What's wrong?"

Darry just reached over Ponyboy, patting Sodapop on the shoulder. "I know it sucks little buddy. I'm sure she did like you - but you're both at different points in your life. You should try to find a girl your age next time, yeah?"

Ponyboy was able to deduce that Sodapop and Holly must've broken up - and he was smart enough not to comment further. "Yeah. No more college girls," he smiled a little but his eyes were still sad.

"If you want to talk about it, you know I'll listen okay?" Darry said as he started to pull out of the school parking lot and towards Pony's school.

"I know Dar'. Thanks."

"After we get your schedule and supplies list, we'll go to the store to get the shopping done." Darry turned his attention to Ponyboy.

"I need a new backpack too... My old one is falling apart."

"I'll stop by the second hand shop, I'm sure they've got a bunch, you can pick one out."

"Okay." Ponyboy turned to look at Sodapop, he wanted to ask if he was okay - but felt it was a stupid question. He turned back to face the road and just listened to the radio playing quietly.

When they got to the middle school, he and Darry went inside together. Sodapop stayed in the truck to wait, not wanting to go in. "Let's see who your home room teacher is too, and then we can go meet them before we leave."

"Do we have to?" Ponyboy asked with a groan, it was embarrassing to him to have his brother introduce himself to his teachers as his guardian. It still felt weird to him.

"Yes, so let's see." He took the papers from the office with Ponyboy's name on it. "Looks like your home room teacher is ... Mrs. Lewis. She must be pretty new, don't remember her."

"That's because you haven't been in middle school in like ten years."

"Hey! Watch it bud. I'm not that old." They both smiled at the witty banter though and went down the hallway to find Ponyboy's classroom.

There were a few students and parents there already, talking to a young red headed teacher. She was definitely a new teacher, she looked like she just graduated college. "Hello, are you another student of mine this year?" Mrs. Lewis came to greet Ponyboy when he entered the room.

"Stop slouching," Darry said under his breath and gave Ponyboy's back a firm pat on the back.

Ponyboy couldn't stop the eye roll as he fixed his posture, taking the hand that his teacher offered and gave a small shake. "Yes ma'am. I'm Ponyboy."

"I remember seeing that name on the roster. Very unique name, you're also younger than the others. I think the principal mentioned you skipped a grade?"

"Yes ma'am."

"If you need any extra help with assignments, just let me know. It can still be a little difficult, especially when people probably expect a lot from you being so gifted." She looked up to Darry now, a little surprised to see someone so young accompanying the boy. "And who are you? Certainly not another student." She said this with a smile.

"No ma'am. Darryl Curtis," he put his hand out to shake the woman's hand. "I'm Ponyboy's brother and guardian. It's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you two, Darryl. You take care of Ponyboy all on your own?"

"Yes ma'am."

"That must be quite difficult. If you ever need anything let me know and I'll try to help, I want my students to reach their full potential in my class."

"Of course. Thank you. Ponyboy is a great student, he won't let you down."

"That's a lot to live up too. You ready for that Ponyboy?"

"Yes ma'am. I usually end up tutoring the other kids. Schools always come pretty easy. 'Cept for math class. That's my hardest subject."

"Well I look forward to having you in my class then Ponyboy. I'm sure you're going to be a delight."

"It was nice to meet you again Mrs. Lewis." Darry said and then gestured for Ponyboy to leave with him.

"Bye Mrs. Lewis."

"See you in two weeks Ponyboy." She waved as the two boys left the classroom.

"See? You didn't die." Darry teased.

"It's just weird. Didn't you see how she looked at you? Like you're way to young to be taking care of me. And the parents always look at you too, and -"

"It's fine Ponyboy. That's just how it is. But don't let other people worry you so much. Just worry about yourself."

"Yeah. I know."

"Ready to go shopping?"

Ponyboy smiled again at the mention of shipping, he loved school shopping. It was probably one of his favorite things in the world, getting to pick out his new notebooks and stationary items. "Yeah!"

"Don't run inside!" Darry tried to yell at his brother - who darted off down the hallway. But he just laughed and chased after him, following him back outside to the truck.

~~~~~~

Sodapop just got the bare minimum of items for school, still gripping about it being pointless. But Ponyboy had a blast looking at everything and meticulously picking out different colored notebooks for each class. Darry let him get some stickers too, to decorate the cover of the notebooks and brown paper bags he could use to cover his textbooks and draw on. (A/n. My dad said this is what they did in school. They'd use brown bags to cover textbooks with and draw on them since). He also got a set of pens, highlighters, white out, a new set of coloring pencils, and he had to get a protractor for math. At the thrift store he was able to find a really nice bag that was a dark blue color.

"I think that's everything." Darry said after they left the thirst store. While there, he'd also bought Ponyboy some jeans (he was too small for Darry and Soda's hand-me-downs still. So he had to buy the boy a few pairs) and a pair of sneakers.

"Can I hang out with Johnny? I wanna see what classes we have together."

"Let's get this stuff home first. Then you can go out."

"Okay," Ponyboy hurried back to the truck, ready to get home so he could meet up with his friend.

"Can't you just sign for me to drop out? I'm just gonna do it anyways in -"

"Enough Sodapop. I don't want to hear that from you again. When you turn sixteen you can do whatever you want, but until then you stay in school."

"It's so stupid, I -"

"I don't need to give the state a reason to see me as a bad guardian. If I sign for you to drop out, what are they gonna think? It's bad enough you are gonna do it on your own, but at least I didn't willingly let you." Sodapop rolled his eyes and leaned against the window as Darry started the truck up. "And don't roll your eyes at me like that."

"Whatever. Ow!" Darry had reached over to pop Sodapop on the back of his head.

"Loose the attitude Sodapop. Or I'll help you loose it."

Soda rubbed at his head as if he'd been gravely injured, "yes sir."

"Oh and don't stay out to long with Johnny today Ponyboy. The social worker is coming today at four-thirty. So I want you home in time to wash up."

"Got it." Ponyboy looked over at Soda and nudged him a little. "It's not that bad. And if you stay in school, we'll be together again when I start high school next year."

"So everyone can see how brainy my kid brother is? No thanks." Sodapop replied, but he was smiling again.

They drove the rest of the way home, with Ponyboy looking over his class schedule and making comments about what he was excited for and what he was not looking forward too. Most notable, he was dreading pre-algebra while looking forward to his creative writing elective. "Coach also said I've already got a spot for track again this year. And he wants me to be co-captain."

"You think you can handle that and your grades?" Darry asked.

"Yeah! I swear it won't be a problem."

"Okay, but if your grades start slipping you gotta give up co-captain."

"They won't, I promise. I'm hoping I can be captain in high school. I know it probably won't be until senior year though. Most kids don't even like the idea of me being co-captain now since I'm a year younger than the other eighth graders. And I'm a greaser."

"You'll do great Ponyboy," Sodapop reassured his brother. "And Darry's proud of you, even if he pretends to only care about your grades."

Now it was Darry's turn to roll his eyes, "I am proud of you. I just don't want you to take on more than you can handle."

"If it's too hard, I'll let coach know. I won't overdo it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...