Hiraeth

Von vrehahaha

Hiraeth |heer-eyeth| (n.) a homesickness for a home you can't return to, or a home that never was. As human... Mehr

AUTHOR'S NOTE
PREVIEW
01 | REWRITE THE STARS
02 | HARD TO GET
03 | GONE TOO FAR
04 | STRANGER DANGER
05 | APOLOGIES

0 | PROLOGUE

108 15 93
Von vrehahaha

❛❛She never cared about the crown, for she preferred the sword.❜❜

❛❛「₪」❜❜

A pair of raven-black eyes open themselves to the world, as the sun conquers the sky again. Sighing, she slowly raises herself up and sits on the warm bed, the comforter still hugging her cold body. She sleepily looks at herself in the mirror of her dressing table. Her black hair would usually kiss her shoulders with grace. But in the mornings, they had a different plan. Filled with tangles, her hair looks a total mess today. She holds her head in her hands, cursing at herself for being so careless. With a scar at the side of her forehead, just near her eyes, Lake Ari Butterfield doesn't possess the most beautiful features. But oh, her lips. They are an impeccable blend of the bliss of heaven, and the sins of hell. With a tinge of pink, her lips are nice and full, perfectly kissable, and as if that isn't enough, the words that left those lips were always witty, intellectual, and in times of need- might I add- savage too. As she somehow gets up from the bed- for yes, she ain't much of a morning person- her tall figure stands erect in front of the full-length mirror. As she takes off her sweatshirt, her sports bra comes into vision, along with her six packs, which wrap her stomach beautifully. She turns around to have a good look at herself from behind, and another pair of scars hug her back, reminding her of the wars she has survived. She loves that part of her. All in all, Lake Butterfield is a whole mood.

She puts on her black hoodie, and shivers as the feeling of warmth suddenly takes over. Slipping her feet into her Converse, she grabs her phone and Air Pods and puts her favourite playlist on. She leaves her house and breathes in her new surroundings. She is yet to get used to this new place she has just shifted to. She starts jogging, as a slight fog prevails in the area. She is oblivious to the chirping of the birds as the music practically bangs in her ears. However, the sound of the music slowly fades away, as the thoughts in her head become louder. 

She is here for her job. She is here for a very important task and she absolutely cannot afford to make mistakes. She inhales and exhales repeatedly to calm herself down. A small smile forms on her lips as she thinks of her father. Lake used to get panic attacks often, as a kid, and her dad would always ask her to breathe. It always calmed her down as a kid. But she wasn't a kid anymore. The technique would have stopped working ages ago had the thought of her father not accompanied it each time she took deep breaths. The thought of her family always seemed to make her feel better. 

Lake wonders what her parents must be doing, right now. Then the thought of her sister, Livia, crosses her mind. She makes a mental note to call her family tonight after she returns from work. If she is left with enough peace of mind after work, that is.

After around 45 minutes of running, Lake stops in front of her house, and she is left breathless. Panting, she bends down and holds onto her knees for support. Running restlessly has its effects on one. But her lack of breath doesn't stop her from admiring her new home. It is not very big, but it's the most beautiful and comfortable place in her opinion. And that alone is enough for her to call it home.

As she steps in, she looks at the time. Quickly, she finishes taking a hot shower and changes into her duty clothes, the blue uniform wrapped around her body fills her heart with pride. She cooks herself a couple of pancakes, and without wasting time, she leaves on her bike for work.

Driving through the streets of Enfield, her now-brushed hair, flies along with the wind. As she parks in front of the police station, she smiles at the two bobbies who stand outside to take guard. 

Her smile slowly fades away as she walks in and notices the familiar face of her boss, Aaron Shaw. As ever, his face has no absolute sign of any humane feelings, apart from a grumpy one. It would be safe to say that Lake doesn't think much of him. She knew this man ever since she was little, he was friends with her parents, and she had known his family rather closely. His wife and daughter were fantastic people to be with. On the contrary, Aaron Shaw was not just a mere spoilsport. He had always been an intimidating man— the kind kids would stay away from. Sometimes Lake would wonder how his daughter, Stella, loved him so much. It was weird to think that a man so ruthless could have an emotion as big as love. But there was no denying it. He loved his daughter with all his heart and could go to any extent to protect her. Any.

"Officer Butterfield, stand along with the others." He says, with no absolute emotions in his voice. 

"Sir." Lake nods, as professionalism takes over her childhood grudge for the man. She joins the other officers, standing beside a blonde woman, who looked about her age and seemed to have a very friendly personality. 

"Now, I need each one of you to introduce yourself one by one. As much as I hate wasting time for a round of introduction, it is a part of our procedure. Besides, we will be working with each other for months now, maybe even a year. Thus it is necessary for everybody to know each other. I am, as you know, Aaron Shaw, and I am in charge of this mission. Officer Butterfield, start with the introduction."

"Officer Lake Ari Butterfield, sir," Lake says, stomping her foot on the ground, her voice sharp and her head held up in pride.

"Officer Margot Miracle, sir." The blonde says.

"Officer Grace Eve Corbyn, sir."

"Officer Ken Garfield, sir."

"Officer Terrence Fletcher, sir."

"Officer Aldrich Owens, sir!" He says, rather too loud, his foot practically shaking the floor underneath.

"Now now, Owens, control your emotions, would you?" Shaw comments, his eyebrows raised.

"Sorry sir," Owens replies.

As Aaron Shaw nods, signaling the others to continue, a brunette speaks up.

"Officer Natasha Elton, sir."

"Officer Elixir Milburn, sir."

"Officer Purity Evans, sir."

"Officer Silvia Campbell, sir."

"Officer Chris Yates, sir."

"Officer Jean Walsh, sir."

"Officer Cameron Parker, sir."

"Officer Violet Quill, sir."

"Officer Trevor Smith, sir."

"Officer Augustus Cox, sir."

"Officer Mark Ford, sir."

"Officer Pearl Morgan, sir."

As the round of introduction finishes, everybody gathers around a table on the instructions of Aaron Shaw, and he starts explaining the details. Lake's heart pounds harshly against her chest, as she realises how important her position in the mission is. 

"And this," Shaw says, pointing to a small place in the map of Enfield, "is going to be our headquarters, officers."

Author's Note

Ayoo! Hope you enjoyed the prologue! I am absolutely in love with Lake Butterfield and I am sure you will love her too <3 

P.S. WRITING THE INTRODUCTION BIT WAS VERY BORING NGL. HAD NO FUN REPEATING THE WORDS Officer AND sir.

Anywho, hope you stick till the end of my book. Ily 3000.

TPWK.
Vreha x

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

6.9K 780 40
[completed] "What's wrong? What's wrong is that no matter how hard you try and convince me that I'm what you want, I can't believe you. I see the way...
872 25 8
⚠️​Attention: Before reading, the content of this story will contain spoilers for the Moonvale game and for people who have only played the game, spo...
1.2K 192 24
Cindy Powell uses detective work that she learned from her father as a young girl in her job as a real estate mogul Benson Easton's assistant. Benson...
K Von ♡

Jugendliteratur

2.3K 89 12
"...Why? Why can't I just tell her no? Why can't I just walk away? Why does she seem to pull me right back in every time I get the courage enough to...